PDA

View Full Version : Science Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar, etc) for hair loss

Canofbier
04-17-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm in my mid-twenties and my male-pattern baldness is starting to become pretty noticeable. Because I think that song is about me, I'm looking into some treatments for regaining my tasty locks and the easiest, most effective treatment also seems to be the one that draws the most controversy: finasteride, aka Propecia.

The before/after pictures for this stuff are pretty amazing for just taking a single pill per day, but some former users complain of permanent damage to their sex drives to the point that it ruined (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145148191) their (http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2012/11/15/sex-no-longer-pleasurable/) lives (http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/index.php). Conversely, studies show (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481923/) that only a small fraction of users experience any side effects at all, and there is no proof of long-term damage.

I tend to believe the side with a scientific basis more often than not, but this would be a hell of a thing to be wrong about.

Do you or anybody you know have experience with these drugs, and what side effects did they notice? If you've chemically castrated yourself, did you at least get the beautiful princess hair to match?

Disclaimer: being bald and growing a goatee is a perfectly reasonable alternative to drugging yourself into sterility; if it weren't for such people, this website would be a lot quieter and less interesting.

KC native
04-17-2015, 02:51 PM
This thread needs xyztop's input.

Brock
04-17-2015, 02:52 PM
It fucks up your testosterone. What do you need hair for?

Canofbier
04-17-2015, 02:54 PM
This thread needs xyztop's input.

Fortunately, the same thing that is causing my hair to fall out has also given me a nice jawline and good skeletal structure.

Canofbier
04-17-2015, 02:55 PM
It ****s up your testosterone. What do you need hair for?

I dunno. Maybe I'll want to make a creepy shrine to myself someday?

KC native
04-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Fortunately, the same thing that is causing my hair to fall out has also given me a nice jawline and good skeletal structure.

:rockon:

RealSNR
04-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Get better genes like I did. If I live to be 100, I'll still have a full head of hair.

KC native
04-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Get better genes like I did. If I live to be 100, I'll still have a full head of hair.

Also this.

My hair is going no where.

I'm 34 and only have a couple of grays as well.

Shit is sweet.

Prison Bitch
04-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Go get generic Proscar and cut into 4ths. I did it 10 years ago and my hair is completely full. There are no sex side affects.

Mr. Laz
04-17-2015, 03:00 PM
it changes shit, just don't

most of them don't work worth a dam

just live with less hair

Mr. Laz
04-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Go get generic Proscar and cut into 4ths. I did it 10 years ago and my hair is completely full. There are no sex side affects.
i think you're lying

Proscar Side Effects
Generic Name: finasteride

OverviewSide EffectsDosageInteractionsFor ProfessionalsMore

Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug finasteride. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Proscar.

It is possible that some side effects of Proscar may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.

For the Consumer

Applies to finasteride: oral tablet

As well as its needed effects, finasteride (the active ingredient contained in Proscar) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.

If any of the following side effects occur while taking finasteride, check with your doctor immediately:

More common
Chills
cold sweats
confusion
dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position
Less common
Bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
breast enlargement and tenderness
hives or welts
itchy skin
rapid weight gain
redness of the skin
skin rash
swelling of the lips and face
tingling of the hands or feet
unusual weight gain or loss
Incidence not known
Clear or bloody discharge from the nipple
dimpling of the breast skin
inverted nipple
lump in the breast or under the arm
persistent crusting or scaling of the nipple
redness or swelling of the breast
sore on the skin of the breast that does not heal
Some finasteride side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:

More common
Decreased interest in sexual intercourse
inability to have or keep an erection
loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
Less common
Runny nose
sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
sneezing
stuffy nose
Less common or rare
Abdominal or stomach pain
back pain
decreased amount of semen
diarrhea
dizziness
headache
Incidence not known
Testicular pain

NewChief
04-17-2015, 03:01 PM
I used to have sweet long hair, and I'd have it now as well if I could. Too thin up top, though, so I've resigned myself to keeping it shaved. Wife likes it, though, and I have a pretty awesomely shaped head and jawline. Basically, I look like a badass with my head shaved.

That being said, I miss having hair at times. I've started living vicariously through the hairstyles of my sons, hah.

MTG#10
04-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Also this.

My hair is going no where.

I'm 34 and only have a couple of grays as well.

Shit is sweet.

Now that I think about it I dont think Ive ever seen a bald Mexican...

:hmmm:

Prison Bitch
04-17-2015, 03:07 PM
i think you're lying

They put warnings on everything doofus.

Canofbier
04-17-2015, 03:10 PM

Solid advice, will do my best to put your words into action.

That falls into line with what the studies tend to suggest happens. I figure that most people who it works well for have no reason to "speak out".

i think you're lying

Check out the link in the OP: the NIH basically says that there's no scientific evidence (yet) of the long-term damage that some people suggest happens. Still, it would be nice to know why there seem to be so many people who claim to have life-long damage.

Is it the hive mind speaking for men with other health problems, or is there a still-unproven effect that the drug has on some people? :hmmm:

I used to have sweet long hair, and I'd have it now as well if I could. Too thin up top, though, so I've resigned myself to keeping it shaved. Wife likes it, though, and I have a pretty awesomely shaped head and jawline. Basically, I look like a badass with my head shaved.

That being said, I miss having hair at times. I've started living vicariously through the hairstyles of my sons, hah.

That's where I'll be in another few years if I stand pat. Not the worst place to be, but it would be nice to preserve the option of having longer hair from time to time.

loochy
04-17-2015, 03:18 PM
I used it back when i used to juice as a hair loss prevention method.

The only side I had was itchy nips.

KC native
04-17-2015, 03:22 PM

They are rare. They do exist though. My great-grandfather went bald.

loochy
04-17-2015, 03:31 PM

http://kalipinckney.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/breaking-bad-s3e2.jpg

MTG#10
04-17-2015, 03:38 PM
http://kalipinckney.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/breaking-bad-s3e2.jpg

Their heads are shaved. I meant a Mexican with MPB.

Bwana
04-17-2015, 03:43 PM
Otter once told me he has enough hair on his ass to weave three Indian blankets, perhaps he would cut you a deal on some of his excess rear flowing locks?

stevieray
04-17-2015, 03:56 PM

Cheech?

...my Native American genetics are strong.

MTG#10
04-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Cheech?

...my Native American genetics are strong.

Oh yes, forgot about Cheech. I stand corrected.

Canofbier
04-17-2015, 04:19 PM
I used it back when i used to juice as a hair loss prevention method.

The only side I had was itchy nips.

Sweet! I didn't realize that there were positive side-effects, too. How did it seem to work for you while you used it, or was it hard to tell since you counteracted it with the roids?

Otter once told me he has enough hair on his ass to weave three Indian blankets, perhaps he would cut you a deal on some of his excess rear flowing locks?

How long do I have to have my head up his ass for the hair to stay?

Bowser
04-17-2015, 04:21 PM
1) Shave head
2) Grow goatee
c) Profit

Kman34
04-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Anybody can grow hair...it's takes a real man to rub that shit off...:thumb:

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2015, 04:33 PM

I have a few friends (and one family member) that did this same exact thing and more than a decade later, they have full heads of hair. No balding or thinning.

No one reported any sexual side effects.

Otis Day
04-17-2015, 04:40 PM

Been doing this for 10 years with no side affects. And see my avatar...works great.

Canofbier
04-17-2015, 05:02 PM
I have a few friends (and one family member) that did this same exact thing and more than a decade later, they have full heads of hair. No balding or thinning.

No one reported any sexual side effects.

Been doing this for 10 years with no side affects. And see my avatar...works great.

These are encouraging. I sort of got the feeling that most of the horror stories were the result of poor circumstances and coincidence, but it's still heartening to hear mostly stories of success.

Thanks for the responses!

Prison Bitch
04-17-2015, 06:07 PM
Go get the Proscar, cut it, have a full head of hair, and be happy. The warnings about losing your balls or making retarded fish children are nonsense.

Stopping the formation of DhT is the only scientifically proven way to keep your hair. The other shit is witchcraft that doesn't work. I've heard that Rogaine is a notable exception but that's topical and it's a pain to administer and it's really expensive (as is Propecia - $80/mo vs the $20/mo for Proscar or about $5/mo co-pay with a good plan). It's also good for keeping your prostate from over-larging.

Bwana
04-17-2015, 06:10 PM

LMAO

Dante84
04-17-2015, 06:14 PM

This douche is bald:

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/pitbull.png?w=446&h=299&crop=1

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2015, 06:16 PM
This douche is bald:

He shaves his head.

And why is he a "douche"?

SAUTO
04-17-2015, 06:17 PM

Then you don't pay good attention

cosmo20002
04-17-2015, 06:18 PM

Side effects appear to be racism, homophobia, and general dipshitery.

loochy
04-17-2015, 06:36 PM

Did you really just ask that?

NewChief
04-17-2015, 06:37 PM
This douche is bald:

He's not Mexican.

loochy
04-17-2015, 06:41 PM
Their heads are shaved. I meant a Mexican with MPB.

http://images.amcnetworks.com/amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/BB-S5-Tio-Bio-590.jpg

KC native
04-17-2015, 06:56 PM
This douche is bald:

He's not Mexican. He's puerto rican.

KC native
04-17-2015, 06:57 PM
http://images.amcnetworks.com/amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/BB-S5-Tio-Bio-590.jpg

Pretty sure that guy is Cuban.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2015, 07:01 PM
Did you really just ask that?

Yes.

He's a first generation Cuban-American that's had tremendous success in the music business. His music has been influenced by the Miami and Carribean sound and he's written for several major artists. He also opened a charter school in his old neighborhood in Miami.

He's a talented guy and a great entertainer. I don't know what's "douchey" about that, especially since his appeal is multi-racial.

Not white enough for you?

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2015, 07:02 PM
He's not Mexican. He's puerto rican.

Cuban

KC native
04-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Yes.

He's a Cuban immigrant that's had tremendous success in the music business. His music has been influenced by the Miami and Carribean sound and he's written for several major artists. He also opened a charter school in his old neighborhood in Miami.

He's a talented guy and a great entertainer. I don't know what's "douchey" about that, especially since his appeal is multi-racial.

As a Hip Hop head, pitbull can die in a fire.

He started in reggaeton which sucks. Now he makes "world" music which is code for shitty European techno with shitty trite lyrics over it.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2015, 07:07 PM
As a Hip Hop head, pitbull can die in a fire.

He started in reggaeton which sucks. Now he makes "world" music which is code for shitty European techno with shitty trite lyrics over it.

Music is extemely personal. It's not something I'm interested in arguing.

That said, creating music, cultivating a sound and finding an audience that consists of millions of people is an extraordinary feat. I'm not into his music but I have the utmost respect for anyone that has that kind of success.

KC native
04-17-2015, 07:13 PM
Music is extemely personal. It's not something I'm interested in arguing.

That said, creating music, cultivating a sound and finding an audience that consists of millions of people is an extraordinary feat. I'm not into his music but I have the utmost respect for anyone that has that kind of success.

Yes, he has been tremendously successful commercially.

I listened to an interview with him right as he made his music transition. He was very humble and smart in making the decision to not stay within reggaeton (which he was one of the first big ones).

I don't begrudge his success. But I'm also not one to sugar coat my opinion of his shit music (I feel the same way about Maná).

mdchiefsfan
04-17-2015, 07:30 PM
1) Shave head
2) Grow goatee
3) Get a z28
c) Profit

FYP

xztop123
04-17-2015, 07:30 PM
its dangerous

imo hairsystems are pretty legit

mdchiefsfan
04-17-2015, 07:32 PM
Yes.

He's a first generation Cuban-American that's had tremendous success in the music business. His music has been influenced by the Miami and Carribean sound and he's written for several major artists. He also opened a charter school in his old neighborhood in Miami.

What does that have to do with it?

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2015, 07:35 PM
What does that have to do with it?
It was joke. I'm not sure if he still has that picture but I always think of Loochy as the guy dressed in a white shirt and white pants, like Michael Douglas in "Romancing the Stone".

KC native
04-17-2015, 07:35 PM
its dangerous

Tell us more plz.

Canofbier
04-17-2015, 07:39 PM
its dangerous

Can you please tell us more about hairsystems? They sound great, especially if there's no added risk!

xztop123
04-17-2015, 07:40 PM
Can you please tell us more about hairsystems? They sound great, especially if there's no added risk!

Theres too many trolls if you're serious you can google it.

Finasteride is just not a good drug.

Most drugs arent.

mdchiefsfan
04-17-2015, 07:42 PM
It was joke. I'm not sure if he still has that picture but I always think of Loochy as the guy dressed in a white shirt and white pants, like Michael Douglas in "Romancing the Stone".

So your assumptions are based off appearance? :D

Trevo_410
04-17-2015, 07:51 PM
you lucky bastards, be thankful you didn't hit the beta lottery and went almost completely bald on top at age 22...

Started the daily finasteride, twice daily rogaine, and use nizoral shampoo 3x a week.
This all started in august and I'm seeing a big difference... ill post before and after when my hair is where i want it to be...

I also use daily supplements like Saw Palmetto, Vegetal Silica, extra calcium/magnesium/zinc pills, biotin, and of course daily vitamins...

for diet i drink a lot less milk (almond milk/soy milk is ok) and eat a lot less meat... more vegetables, less trash foods like what you see in the middle aisles of grocery stores. Also you want to avoid acidic fruits. WATER WATER WATER

i also only shampoo when i use the nizoral shampoo... apparently shampooing too much will cause even more hairloss...

Also... I haven't had sex since august so i wouldn't know if I'm one of the chosen few.

mdchiefsfan
04-17-2015, 08:00 PM
you lucky bastards, be thankful you didn't hit the beta lottery and went almost completely bald on top at age 22...

Started the daily finasteride, twice daily rogaine, and use nizoral shampoo 3x a week.
This all started in august and I'm seeing a big difference... ill post before and after when my hair is where i want it to be...

I also use daily supplements like Saw Palmetto, Vegetal Silica, extra calcium/magnesium/zinc pills, biotin, and of course daily vitamins...

for diet i drink a lot less milk (almond milk/soy milk is ok) and eat a lot less meat... more vegetables, less trash foods like what you see in the middle aisles of grocery stores. Also you want to avoid acidic fruits. WATER WATER WATER

i also only shampoo when i use the nizoral shampoo... apparently shampooing too much will cause even more hairloss...

Also... I haven't had sex since august so i wouldn't know if I'm one of the chosen few.

So is this classified as the "before having your hair where you want it to be" post? J/k, man. My step dad was bald by 30. I'm glad I don't have his genes.

Badump ching!

Couldn't pass that up, sorry.

I really don't know where to go from here, but from my sense of humor, I sense I will need your advice quite soon. Karma is a bitch, so post your remedy for me.

Thanks.

NewChief
04-17-2015, 08:02 PM
My older brothers were both balding in high school.

I taunted them mercilessly because I kept my hair into my 30s. I was convinced that the MPD gene had somehow skipped me. I grew long ass flowing locks. Had dreadlocks at one time (I'm convinced that was the beginning of the end), then the thinning started at about 30. Been shaving it for the last 10 years or so.

Needless to say, my brothers had the last laugh.

Brock
04-17-2015, 09:07 PM
Theres too many trolls if you're serious you can google it.

Finasteride is just not a good drug.

Most drugs arent.

You wear a wig?

ThaVirus
04-17-2015, 09:41 PM
I'm not balding as far as I'm aware. My hair is actually thick as all balls. But I do have a fucked up, receding hairline. It's one of the things I'm most self-conscious about, actually.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm not balding as far as I'm aware. My hair is actually thick as all balls. But I do have a fucked up, receding hairline. It's one of the things I'm most self-conscious about, actually.

If you just shave it now and become used to it at a young age, it'll be less traumatic as you age.

Or, screw it and grow that mother out! Be proud!

TinyEvel
04-17-2015, 11:54 PM
I shaved my head at age 30 and it's liberating. Granted, I have a pretty well-shaped head, and you have to stay relatively trim, or get really fat. But going with it was the best decision of my life.

#smoothie

KCrockaholic
04-18-2015, 12:04 AM
Tell you what, I guarantee I'm balder and possibly younger than you. Just own up to it. Begin with buzzing it short with a 1 blade. Hair gives us all a little charm, sure. But it's also the most overrated aspect of our bodies we can attempt to save. YOU were born with shit hair genetics. How about you just begin getting serious about the gym and taking creatine and nobody will really give a **** about your hair.

I fully believe that we should really only "worry" about things we can control. Our hair, we can't really control unless you get plugs and shit like that.

If you're going to be bald, you're going to be bald until a miraculous invention comes along that fixes MPB. So instead of worrying about what you can't control, how about you focus on what you CAN control. Such as your body, hygiene, clothes you wear, your style.

I tell you this as someone who went from 20-23 worrying and freaking out every single day about hair loss. It's not worth the worthy. It's unfortunate, yes, because now you can't look like everybody else (oh no!), but take ownership of it and be an alpha with it.

When I was 22 I experimented with Rogaine and it will definitely **** with your body, and after a few days I realized my scalp was having an allergic reaction to it so I discontinued. After that is when I decided to quit worrying about it every ****in minute of my life. It was pathetic. Oh well, I wasn't blessed with the estrogen of Justin Beiber to produce golden locks, I decided to man up about it and get over out because it's not worth freaking out about.

Chiefshrink
04-18-2015, 12:25 AM
Pretty sure that guy is Cuban.

I didn't know "milkman" was Cuban:p

CoMoChief
04-18-2015, 03:41 AM
Isn't proscar/finasteride primarily used for prostate issues? Had no idea it was used for hair loss.

I'll just say this...hardly any rx drug is good for you. Almost all of them are hard on your livers and kidneys over time.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
04-18-2015, 06:37 AM
Sorry baldies... Never met a relative with no hair. So thick, so beautiful.

NewChief
04-18-2015, 07:08 AM
Tell you what, I guarantee I'm balder and possibly younger than you. Just own up to it. Begin with buzzing it short with a 1 blade. Hair gives us all a little charm, sure. But it's also the most overrated aspect of our bodies we can attempt to save. YOU were born with shit hair genetics. How about you just begin getting serious about the gym and taking creatine and nobody will really give a **** about your hair.

I fully believe that we should really only "worry" about things we can control. Our hair, we can't really control unless you get plugs and shit like that.

If you're going to be bald, you're going to be bald until a miraculous invention comes along that fixes MPB. So instead of worrying about what you can't control, how about you focus on what you CAN control. Such as your body, hygiene, clothes you wear, your style.

I tell you this as someone who went from 20-23 worrying and freaking out every single day about hair loss. It's not worth the worthy. It's unfortunate, yes, because now you can't look like everybody else (oh no!), but take ownership of it and be an alpha with it.

When I was 22 I experimented with Rogaine and it will definitely **** with your body, and after a few days I realized my scalp was having an allergic reaction to it so I discontinued. After that is when I decided to quit worrying about it every ****in minute of my life. It was pathetic. Oh well, I wasn't blessed with the estrogen of Justin Beiber to produce golden locks, I decided to man up about it and get over out because it's not worth freaking out about.

While I earlier bemoaned my bald state in this thread, the above advice is probably the best.

MahiMike
04-18-2015, 10:53 AM
Give it up dude. You don't want to 'rent' your hair.

jerryforeverrice80
04-18-2015, 12:25 PM
get a good set of clippers and enjoy the baldness.

Dante84
04-18-2015, 12:55 PM

http://i2.wp.com/www.irkitated.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Pitbull-Meme.jpg

Dante84
04-18-2015, 12:56 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/55/55f8660098f5babc2bdccc05f6bbaed3bb55885ebb6c8b4e08e704c88ddc0984.jpg

Dante84
04-18-2015, 12:59 PM
http://funnydogspictures.com/wp-content/uploads/pitbull-meme-20150302221913-54f4e1e1506f1.jpg

Prison Bitch
04-18-2015, 01:57 PM

Just what the world needs: More bald headed roided out meatheads.

You can control it with Finasteride.

If you're going to be bald, you're going to be bald until a miraculous invention comes along that fixes MPB.

Finasteride isn't really miraculous, it's just a simple pharmaceutical.

RunKC
04-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Most women don't care about hair on men unless they are younger than 25

Chief_For_Life58
04-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Why don't you pull your tampon out first

Prison Bitch
04-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Most women don't care about hair on men unless they are younger than 25

I care more about what I think, but how do you know what women think?