PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is Mark Donovan the true culprit behind the candy wrapper snafu?

RealSNR
04-18-2015, 11:55 AM
As much as I fucking hate Pioli, and he was certainly guilty of being the primary actor in the bullshit with the candy wrappers in the stairwell, I think the real asshole is still lurking within our ranks.

In a post-Nazi regime Arrowhead front office environment, Mark Donovan is Albert Speer.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/4/16/8427561/the-chiefs-learn-a-lot-of-lessons-from-picking-up-trash

Once again, the Kansas City Chiefs are learning lessons from picking up trash on the ground.

Chiefs president Mark Donovan spoke on leadership at KU on Wednesday and shared this story (via LJ World):

"Further, Donovan said he's learned that even the smallest actions of leadership are powerful. Donovan told a story of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and his fan experience team's tour of Arrowhead stadium when Goodell stopped mid-tour to pick up a piece of trash on the ground and throw it away. Donovan later asked Goodell about it and learned a valuable lesson.

"Roger told me, ‘If I stop and pick up that trash, what does it teach my team? Part of leading by example is being aware,'" Donovan said. "That was the first time I learned that those little things you do as a leader have a great impact."

Does that sound familiar? It should because it's very similar to "the candy wrapper story" that Chiefs fans still make jokes about to this day. Via Kent Babb's 2012 Arrowhead Anxiety story:

During his first year, Pioli noticed a candy wrapper in a back stairwell and waited to see how long it took to be picked up. About a week passed, and it remained in the stairwell. He placed the wrapper in an envelope, and during a meeting of department heads, Donovan, then the team's chief operating officer, brandished the wrapper as evidence of the attention to detail that Chiefs employees had grown to ignore.

"A great coaching moment," Donovan said.

Hootie
04-18-2015, 11:58 AM
thanks

saphojunkie
04-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Don't give a shit - never did. Draft well and you can discard or pick up as many wrappers as you want. By that, I mean the wrapper was indicative of a larger problem. We heard that story and thought "you gave Matt Cassel 60 million! Who gives a fuck about details when the bloody ship on fire?!"

Pasta Little Brioni
04-18-2015, 12:06 PM
This is the same board that hated Priest for munching on a tub of nachos

RealSNR
04-18-2015, 12:07 PM
This is the same board that hated Priest for munching on a tub of nachos

I thought that was funny. Priest was probably down on himself for being hurt. Wanted a pick-me-up.

Nachos are his weakness. That's cool. It's no different than Jamaal Charles loving him some mozzarella sticks

Hammock Parties
04-18-2015, 12:12 PM
he looks like a career corporate douche

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/254791/mark_donovan.jpg

KC Hawks
04-18-2015, 12:13 PM
If there's someone to look up to for leadership, it would be Roger Goodell.

chiefzilla1501
04-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Well, I'll give Goodell one thing... one thing he is good at is eliminating all traces of trash and evidence.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Was Kraft behind him when he bent over? With CP Pats fans behind him in a human centipede?

Coochie liquor
04-18-2015, 01:13 PM
Pioli prob should fired the janitor... I mean master of the custodial arts.

TribalElder
04-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Stay back at least 50 meters from him

He might sneeze his aids on you

Shaid
04-18-2015, 01:48 PM
I know most people don't, but I care about these type of things. If I'm at home and my kids leave an area and leave a wrapper or pop can sitting there, I'm pissed. If I'm at work and my employees just half ass things, I'm pissed. I walk into the office and the rug was blown over a little bit by the wind, I put it back in place instead of just leaving it. It's not about picking up a piece of trash, it's about having a personal sense of pride and you'd hope someone committed to a franchise would have pride and respect for the facilities.

Deberg_1990
04-18-2015, 01:57 PM
I know most people don't, but I care about these type of things. If I'm at home and my kids leave an area and leave a wrapper or pop can sitting there, I'm pissed. If I'm at work and my employees just half ass things, I'm pissed. I walk into the office and the rug was blown over a little bit by the wind, I put it back in place instead of just leaving it. It's not about picking up a piece of trash, it's about having a personal sense of pride and you'd hope someone committed to a franchise would have pride and respect for the facilities.

I actually agree with this 100%.

But I think the point of the original Babb story was that Pioli was entirely too focused on the little things instead of the stuff that truly mattered, like drafting and personnel moves.

if Pioli won, nobody would give two sh*ts about the candy wrappers.

Mojo Jojo
Donovan is a douche...even the hand picked people he brought to Arrowhead have bailed...he was part of the Andy Reid search team when Pioli sat in waiting rooms.

Buck

Also make sure your kids don't put trash on the ground for no good reason.

DaNewGuy
04-18-2015, 02:02 PM
I thought that was funny. Priest was probably down on himself for being hurt. Wanted a pick-me-up.

Nachos are his weakness. That's cool. It's no different than Jamaal Charles loving him some mozzarella sticks

Or Sanchez choking down some wieners

rtmike
04-18-2015, 02:06 PM
One thing I've noticed up here is everyone takes a part in keeping it beautiful up here. There was a guy with a kid in a stroller carrying a trash bag the other day picking up trash while they walked.

Big difference between say here & Dallas, Tx. 1st thing we notice when visiting is all the trash.

mcaj22
04-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Donovan is a douche...even the hand picked people he brought to Arrowhead have bailed...he was part of the Andy Reid search team when Pioli sat in waiting rooms.

Andy Reid is part of the hand picked team Donovan has brought to Arrowhead.

Donovan is an Andy Reid guy not a Pats Tree Fraud.

BigRock
04-18-2015, 02:20 PM
Translation:

The candy wrapper was Pioli's. He threw it down and didn't give a shit. Passed by it a million times.

Goodell came to Arrowhead, picked up a piece of trash, told Donovan that stuff. Pioli overheard, ran to the stairwell to grab the wrapper, and said "HAY MARK LOOK AT THIS! I'M A LEADER!"

Shaid
04-18-2015, 02:34 PM
I actually agree with this 100%.

But I think the point of the original Babb story was that Pioli was entirely too focused on the little things instead of the stuff that truly mattered, like drafting and personnel moves.

if Pioli won, nobody would give two sh*ts about the candy wrappers.

I agree, Pioli was a control freak with way too much influence over tiny things. Basically a micro-manager on a massive scale. I'm just commenting on the candy wrapper thing in general.

bsp4444
04-18-2015, 03:08 PM
The point is Goodell picked up the trash. Pioli made a federal case about a piece of trash.

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2015, 03:09 PM
Andy Reid is part of the hand picked team Donovan has brought to Arrowhead.

Donovan is an Andy Reid guy not a Pats Tree Fraud.

Better go read his bio champ. He was here before Reid came to town.

Chief Roundup
04-18-2015, 03:11 PM
It comes down to Pioli looking bad to Robert Kraft through Goodell. Pioli felt like he had been made to look lesser than he wished, in his own mind.

kc79
04-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Pioli should've been a leader and pick up the trash lol

RealSNR
04-18-2015, 04:02 PM

I think if Pioli really had that kind of pride or cared about doing the right thing, he would have picked up the candy wrapper himself and asked HR to do something about the asshole who leaves wrappers in the stairwell.

Instead, he conducted an experiment by leaving it in the stairwell, counting the days that the insignificant problem wasn't fixed by anybody, and preparing this "teaching moment" as Donovan explains.

mcaj22
04-18-2015, 04:43 PM
Better go read his bio champ. He was here before Reid came to town.

and before he came to town he was in Philly for SEVEN YEARS with...you guessed it, ANDY REID,

champ.

Dante84
04-18-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty sure my Sig ends this thread.

Dante84
04-18-2015, 04:47 PM
For reference, this was the actual email.

It was presented as evidence during the ageism lawsuit.

dallaschiefsfan
04-18-2015, 09:25 PM
One thing I've noticed up here is everyone takes a part in keeping it beautiful up here. There was a guy with a kid in a stroller carrying a trash bag the other day picking up trash while they walked.

Big difference between say here & Dallas, Tx. 1st thing we notice when visiting is all the trash.

Nice story...but I'm not sure what you're talking about. I lived in KC for 24 years...been living in the Dallas area for nearly 18 years. I love KC, but it's significantly more dirty than Dallas/Fort Worth.

Superbowltrashcan
04-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Nice story...but I'm not sure what you're talking about. I lived in KC for 24 years...been living in the Dallas area for nearly 18 years. I love KC, but it's significantly more dirty than Dallas/Fort Worth.

I think he resides in the Pacific Northwest presently, not in Kansas City...

rtmike
04-18-2015, 11:59 PM
I think he resides in the Pacific Northwest presently, not in Kansas City...

I had to reread his thread a couple times.

I figured I might get hell from some homer in the DFW area, and that's what it would take to disagree. :D

It was just this Thursday when I seen the jogger so it was in my mind as I tried to completely derail the thread.

jspchief
04-19-2015, 03:26 AM
The point is Goodell picked up the trash. Pioli made a federal case about a piece of trash.
Agree. One them led by example. The other sucked a lot of dicks.