PDA

View Full Version : Pictures Is this offensive?

Mama Hip Rockets
04-20-2015, 06:34 AM
I saw somebody in the United States post this on Facebook, and was completely repulsed by it. When I called them out on it, they defended their decision to post it and said our "rights" are being taken away.

What do you say?

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2015, 06:38 AM
Offensive? I really don't know, but whoever wrote is a fucking moron.

Grim
04-20-2015, 06:40 AM
People posted the same shit when Bush was in office.
Like 99% of all political memes, it's just another terrible analogy.

Donger
04-20-2015, 06:42 AM
It's not offensive to me, other than being completely ignorant of history.

Baby Lee
04-20-2015, 06:44 AM
Blindly where? Not fighting back against what?

That's a facebook outrage Roschach, AFAICS.

WhawhaWhat
04-20-2015, 06:52 AM
No but anybody that would post that is an idiot.

Saccopoo
04-20-2015, 07:08 AM
Blindly where? Not fighting back against what?

That's a facebook outrage Roschach, AFAICS.

Exactly.

Without content of subject matter as it relates to the meme response, I'd have to say "inconclusive."

One could use numerous examples of governments in power to highlight a society being blind or unwilling to stand against tyranny, oppression and malignant despotism throughout history. The Holocaust is a more recent event and has been continually used as an example of such actions and that's why you see it referenced more than the others.

The Khmer Rouge's reign of terror was perhaps even worse. The Spanish Inquisition. The Salem Witch Trials. The entire Crusades era. Humans are pretty fucking horrible creatures when given unchecked power and, conversely, tend to get dominated quite easily and accept the worst possible outcomes as par for the course.

The meme itself is relevant in that people, as a whole, do tend to fall into a subservient role quite easily and take the majority of shit at face value without questioning basically anything.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-20-2015, 07:11 AM
IN for the hand-wringing.

TEX
04-20-2015, 07:15 AM
I saw somebody in the United States post this on Facebook, and was completely repulsed by it. When I called them out on it, they defended their decision to post it and said our "rights" are being taken away.

What do you say?

No.

Jim Lahey
04-20-2015, 07:17 AM
Well I hope we pack well when we invade Russia if that's the case.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2015, 07:20 AM
Someone please tell me what rights we are supposedly losing?

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Someone please tell me what rights we are supposedly losing?

The right to bang your mom, and it's a travesty, sir. :)

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2015, 07:29 AM
The right to bang your mom, and it's a travesty, sir. :)

No worries, there is still Direckshun's whore mother...

58-4ever
04-20-2015, 07:30 AM
Offensive? I really don't know, but whoever wrote is a ****ing moron.

Yeah, I agree. The amount of dumbassery on FB is amazing these days.

Predarat
04-20-2015, 07:32 AM
It is a stupid post but you are kind of proving his theory by being offended by it.

Faddy Yomama
04-20-2015, 07:34 AM
No, it really makes a valid point. Jehovah's Witnesses have over 7 million members who blindly follow and support the watchtower society.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2015, 07:36 AM
No, it really makes a valid point. Jehovah's Witnesses have over 7 million members who blindly follow and support the watchtower society.

That's a lot of strange men on bicycles...

Faddy Yomama
04-20-2015, 07:43 AM
That's a lot of strange men on bicycles...And I'm one of them.

Rausch
04-20-2015, 07:43 AM
I don't think we are the NAZI's, I think we're ignoring/appeasing the NAZI's of our time (ISIL/Radical Islam.)

Bugeater
04-20-2015, 07:44 AM
You can't reason with dumbasses, all you can do is block them from your news feed

loochy
04-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Offensive? I really don't know, but whoever wrote is a ****ing moron.

This.

It's completely stupid, but people are allowed to be stupid. Carry on.

loochy
04-20-2015, 07:47 AM

What do you say?

Also, what is this picture even referring to? Who are the Nazis and what group is getting holocausted (and is "holocausted" a verb)?

Mr. Laz
04-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Offensive? I really don't know, but whoever wrote is a fucking moron.

this

i've seen one with Hitler and Hillary Clinton as well.

just stupid, not liking her in no way equals Adolf Hitler.

JFC, just stop

Coochie liquor
04-20-2015, 08:36 AM
I'm not offended, and haven't been on Facebook I'm almost 2 years.

loochy
04-20-2015, 08:38 AM
I'm not offended, and haven't been on Facebook I'm almost 2 years.

I'm offended by Facebook in general.

Chief Roundup
04-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Who or what are you comparing to Hitler?

Lonewolf Ed
04-20-2015, 09:51 AM
I voted kind of offensive since I couldn't find the thread. It's not offensive, just misguided. Freedom from offense isn't a right anyhow, so what difference would it make if it was?

KC native
04-20-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm offended that person isn't celebrating Hitler's birthday.

Just Passin' By
04-20-2015, 09:56 AM
I'm offended that you're offended.

KC native
04-20-2015, 09:58 AM
I'm offended that you're offended.

I'm offended that you haven't had the decency to leave chiefsplanet.

cosmo20002
04-20-2015, 10:04 AM

What do you say?

That post is ridiculous.
The Holocaust never happened.

/CP's Holocaust deniers

Mama Hip Rockets
04-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Who or what are you comparing to Hitler?

I think their idea is that the government in general is slowly stripping away our "rights," therefore they are Nazis.

When I asked what "rights" were taken away, they said the right to pray and read Bibles in school.

loochy
04-20-2015, 10:26 AM
I think their idea is that the government in general is slowly stripping away our "rights," therefore they are Nazis.

When I asked what "rights" were taken away, they said the right to pray and read Bibles in school.

Those rights have not been taken away.

Do you want to pray? Then pray. Nobody is stopping that.

Do you want to read a bible at school? Then, in your spare time, you are free to read a bible.

Do they mean that they can't force all students to do these things in public schools now?

Just Passin' By
04-20-2015, 10:28 AM

Do you want to read a bible at school? Then, in your spare time, you are free to read a bible.

Do they mean that they can't force all students to do these things in public schools now?

There's a whole slew of rights that have been taken away or significantly limited. The meme may be idiotic, but the underlying issue is valid.

loochy
04-20-2015, 10:32 AM
There's a whole slew of rights that have been taken away or significantly limited. The meme may be idiotic, but the underlying issue is valid.

That may or may not be true.

The OP said that these people were specifically referring to the issues I addressed.

loochy
04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi party!

http://new1.fjcdn.com/comments/Don+_e48ad32a6f68ee051845e0cb3a1cc47d.jpg

Just Passin' By
04-20-2015, 10:40 AM
That may or may not be true.

The OP said that these people were specifically referring to the issues I addressed.

Those areas have been limited.

Bowser
04-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Also, what is this picture even referring to? Who are the Nazis and what group is getting holocausted (and is "holocausted" a verb)?

It's an anti-Obama rant. There's no shortage of shit like this on my Facebook, that's why I handle it only a few minutes at a time.

Bugeater wins the thread with the best advice in it.

loochy
04-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Those areas have been limited.

Elaborate please.

Direckshun
04-20-2015, 10:44 AM
It's just stupid.

cosmo20002
04-20-2015, 10:47 AM

You mean pray quietly to yourself?
Unless it can be done loudly in a large group for everyone to see, I really don't even see the point of praying.

Just Passin' By
04-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Elaborate please.

I'm not going to give a play-by-play of rulings and actions restricting the first amendment. They're easy enough to find.

temper11
04-20-2015, 10:49 AM
It's just recycled since Bush was in the WH... probably earlier than that even. Next guy/gal will get the comparison too. Comparing the president to Hitler is what "we" do when our guy didn't win in the last election.

Do I think America is headed in the wrong direction in a lot of ways? Yes.

Do I think Obama is Hitler-esque or his administration akin to Nazi Germany? No.

Nothing to see here.

cosmo20002
04-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi party!

http://new1.fjcdn.com/comments/Don+_e48ad32a6f68ee051845e0cb3a1cc47d.jpg

Eva Braun up there^. Would.

DaneMcCloud
04-20-2015, 10:52 AM
It's an anti-Obama rant. There's no shortage of shit like this on my Facebook, that's why I handle it only a few minutes at a time.

Bugeater wins the thread with the best advice in it.

I "Unfollow" those people. I don't usually break the "Friendship", as some of those people I've known since junior high. But anything political on FB is hidden for me immediately.

Although I did unfriend a few people recently. Racist remarks about the Miss America pageant and its contestants were made, some people "liked" his remark so Boom! All of them are gone.

Bowser
04-20-2015, 11:00 AM
I "Unfollow" those people. I don't usually break the "Friendship", as some of those people I've known since junior high. But anything political on FB is hidden for me immediately.

Although I did unfriend a few people recently. Racist remarks about the Miss America pageant and its contestants were made, some people "liked" his remark so Boom! All of them are gone.

More solid advice.

Facebook is fascinating, really. From the drama queens that live their lives on it (OMG I'M SO FUCKING PISSED YOU JUST DON'T KNOW....1st response - OMG girl, love you! Call me asap!) to the herd mentality when someone posts a pic like in the OP, to the people that just stir the shit because they can.....It's quite the study in human behavior. Mostly I just browse it for the entertainment. And to wish DaFace a happy birthday every year. :D

Mama Hip Rockets
04-20-2015, 12:30 PM

That's exactly what I tried to explain to them. Would they rather live in Syria or Iran or Egypt or Ethiopia and see how those countries stack up to these "rights"?

listopencil
04-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Facebook is fine for my purposes. I want to stay in contact with relatives all over the world and get the occasional thought provoking article. Just unfollow the pages and people who post stupid shit.

Easy 6
04-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Follow
Unfollow
Block feed
Block this person from that
But allow them to see this
Change privacy settings
Change privacy settings and still have FB all up in your business

It all sounds like a big freakin nightmare IMO, had a page 3+ years ago for maybe 6 months and don't miss it even a little bit... screw facespace.

In my day we didn't have Mybook, that's the way it was and we LIKED IT that way!

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-20-2015, 04:51 PM
No worries, there is still Direckshun's whore mother...

Democracy restored.

http://media.tumblr.com/b878fcb8c5af989d16f884ab3ae5b2a2/tumblr_inline_n85cbndKVM1ssrw4d.gif

listopencil
04-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Follow
Unfollow
Block feed
Block this person from that
But allow them to see this
Change privacy settings
Change privacy settings and still have FB all up in your business

It all sounds like a big freakin nightmare IMO, had a page 3+ years ago for maybe 6 months and don't miss it even a little bit... screw facespace.

In my day we didn't have Mybook, that's the way it was and we LIKED IT that way!

One of my nieces (my sister's daughter) has been married to a USAF guy and has been oversees for well over a decade. She's an amateur/semipro photographer and takes great pics of her kids and the places they have been visiting in Europe while her husband has been stationed over there. That's just one example of the positive stuff I get from FaceBook. Of course there is also family drama that I have no problem staying out of, and the regular RWNJ/LWNJ people that I have unfollowed. As websites have been giving you more and more options for personalization I don't find FB to be any more tedious in setting up than any other place.

TribalElder
04-20-2015, 05:28 PM

What do you say?

Politics so I don't give a fuck about it

Politics are soap operas for old people. Yell at the tv some more blue hairs, I'm sure Fox News can hear you

I said the other day I wished I could travel back in time and hanger the girl who sings that all about the base song right out of her moms vagina

Had a discussion about weather that was offensive but I didn't think so, I mean you have heard the song right :shrug:

MahiMike
04-20-2015, 07:38 PM
What's offensive to me is all the people in this country that are offended by so many things.

ChiliConCarnage
04-20-2015, 07:53 PM
I don't think it's offensive. Silly perhaps but there isn't anything offensive about it.

Baby Lee
04-20-2015, 07:57 PM
What's offensive to me is all the people in this country that are offended by so many things.

If you're not offended by something in 2015, you're probably the font of all offense.

J Diddy
04-20-2015, 08:18 PM
I don't think it's offensive. Silly perhaps but there isn't anything offensive about it.

I agree with this 100%.

cosmo20002
04-20-2015, 08:24 PM

Some people who had friends or relatives or their entire family rounded up into concentration camps and murdered (or who themselves were rounded up and survived), or those who feel a connection with those people due to shared religion which was the cause of them being rounded up, might be offended at having the Holocaust and all those experiences compared to something Obama did. Just sayin...

Mama Hip Rockets
04-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Some people who had friends or relatives or their entire family rounded up into concentration camps and murdered (or who themselves were rounded up and survived), or those who feel a connection with those people due to shared religion which was the cause of them being rounded up, might be offended at having the Holocaust and all those experiences compared to something Obama did. Just sayin...

Yeah, I guess people just don't have the capacity to feel empathy for anyone anymore. I can't fathom how anyone who has any knowledge of the Holocaust could not be offended by comparing it to this rich, fat, lazy nation.

ChiliConCarnage
04-20-2015, 08:46 PM

I maybe missing it but I don't see any mention of Obama or any political affiliation. It's just your generic, "I can't believe people are doing things I don't agree with". Is it silly to compare to Nazi supporters or the kind of people that allowed for unit 731 to function? Yes.. Yes it is

Baby Lee
04-20-2015, 08:57 PM
OTOH, way back when Koch tried to take care of NYC's trash problems [remember when NYC garbage barges wandered the globe aimlessly?] in the European manner of clean neighborhood waste incinerators, he ran into a shit ton of NIMBY backlash.

None more crass than several predominantly Jewish communities publicly protesting that the smokestacks would remind too many constituents of Auschwitz.

cosmo20002
04-20-2015, 09:14 PM
I maybe missing it but I don't see any mention of Obama or any political affiliation. It's just your generic, "I can't believe people are doing things I don't agree with". Is it silly to compare to Nazi supporters or the kind of people that allowed for unit 731 to function? Yes.. Yes it is

You said there isn't anything offensive about it. Well, to you I guess.
Other people may find it offensive, and I think for good reason.