PDA

View Full Version : Dorsey, Here's Your Clues

BigChiefFan
04-20-2015, 09:12 AM
We'll have to play the cards we are dealt and use the draft to our advantage. Here's how I see things shaking out for us and us taking a big picture approach...

1st Round-NT/DE Eddie Goldman

STRENGTHS: Goldman carries his 320 pounds well, sporting broad shoulders, a big bubble and thick limbs. He's quick off the snap, shooting his hands into the chest of opponents and showing good upper-body strength to extend and control.

Goldman plays with his knees bent and does a nice job of anchoring at the line of scrimmage, rarely getting pushed back. Good balance to keep his feet while stringing plays out wide. Long and strong enough to set the edge as a defensive end. He has the leg drive to bull rush interior linemen deep into the pocket and can surprise quarterbacks with his quickness to close.

Locates the ball quickly and does a nice job of latching onto ballcarriers as they attempt to run by, showing the reach and strength to pull them down or pop the ball out (Clemson). Scheme and position diverse. Just scratching the surface of his potential.

WEAKNESSES: Though quicker than he looks, Goldman isn't a consistent pass rush threat. His broad build makes it difficult for him to squeeze through gaps and he shows just phone-booth quickness. Generally needs a clear lane and collides with ballcarriers rather than exploding into them.

Still working on some of the finer details of position, including getting his hands up more often to knock down passes at the line of scrimmage and improved his recognition of cut-blocks. Surrounded by a lot of talent and was used as part of a rotation.

COMPARES TO: Corey Liuget, DE, San Diego Chargers - Liuget starred as a defensive tackle at Illinois and he likely would enjoy similar success inside in the NFL if that was what the Chargers asked of him. With San Diego predominantly asking him to play the five-technique defensive end role in their 3-4, however, Liuget has used his strength and squatty frame (6-2, 300) to help control the line of scrimmage. Neither Liuget nor Goldman will ever compete for gaudy sack totals but their frame, strength and versatility make them key front line personnel.

--Rob Rang

2nd Pick-Breshard Perriman WR
A very quick WR, with size to match. He has soft hands and has the skillset to become a dynamic player in the NFL. Needs to improve on his production, but that's why he's a 2nd rounder. Has an NFL pedigree. He has major upside and if he lives up to his billing could make a great compliment to Maclin.

3rd Round Pick-Paul Dawson ILBer

One of the most dynamic players in collegiate football, Dawson has a nose for the ball and the quicks to match it. He's not afraid to take on blocks and shoot the gap. He's also good in coverage. Relies too much on read and react over scheme. Dawson could very well become DJ's long-term replacement.

3rd Round Pick-Justin Hardy

The Chiefs aren't done adding weapons to the offense and make sure to bring competition to the slot position. Hardy isn't the speedest receiver, but he has quicks that allow him to get open. A great route runner, who catches everything thrown his way. Hardy is the ideal slot receiver who has great hands. A little undersized, but makes up for it in other facets.

4th Round Pick- Henry Anderson DE

A big DE that also has speed to get after the QB. He's an ideal 5 technique DE in a 3-4 and tires a little as the game goes on. If the Chiefs work on his stamina that could have a future starter, but at the very least they have a a player who's stout against the run and still can generate a pass rush to rotate in to the line and can play all three downs.

5th Round Pick-Clayton Geathers SS

A highly competitive player, who plays in the box very well. Better against the run in coverage. Has ideal height and frame. For a 5th round pick, we can work on his coverage skills. Good depth and special teams player who likes to hit.

5th Round Pick-Shaquille Mason C

A very aggressive and quick Center who can lock on to a player and move him out of the way. Has upside to be a starter, but brings quality depth in case Kush falters.

5th Round Pick-Wes Saxon TE

A highly productive TE, who has superb speed for a big man. Put up big numbers in college, until last year. A great blocker, route runner, and good hands.

6th Round Pick-Kyle Loomis P

The number one rated punter in the draft. With Colquitt's age and contract, the time is now to make a move.

7th Round Pick-Max Garcia C/LT/LG

Garcia is the 7th rated C in the entire draft, so to find him in the 7th round is quality insurance. A versitile player who has played C, LT, and LG at Florida. Garcia gives us swing player to provide insurance in case anyway falters.

Chief Roundup
04-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Overall I really like it. I would rather take a CB with the 2cd round pick. If we were to take a WR in the 2cd I hope we take a different position with our 3rds.
I just don't think we need or have to take two WRs in our first 4 picks.
We should get 4 new starters with those picks.

BigChiefFan
04-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Overall I really like it. I would rather take a CB with the 2cd round pick. If we were to take a WR in the 2cd I hope we take a different position with our 3rds.
I just don't think we need or have to take two WRs in our first 4 picks.
We should get 4 new starters with those picks.
Thanks, man-I appreciate it. I wanted to take a CB, too, but I can't really see anybody unseating Smith or Gaines this year, so I went with BPA. There's some quality CB's, but after the first few rounds the talent level drops off signifigantly. I went with a starter this year over depth. I also believe WR needs a lot more help than CB and I believe this draft will allow us to focus on a first round CB next year.

Direckshun
04-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Not too bad, though I think it's unlikely that Perriman is there.

I don't like Goldman in the first a whole lot. I just don't think it's wise to draft a DL in the first when we'll have him play roughly 50% of the snaps.

BigChiefFan
04-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Not too bad, though I think it's unlikely that Perriman is there.

I don't like Goldman in the first a whole lot. I just don't think it's wise to draft a DL in the first when we'll have him play roughly 50% of the snaps.

He can line up at DE, too and let's face it DE is a big need. Goldman gives us the option to line up in different spots and give Poe a breather, as well. We also will have a huge hole at DE next off season, if we don't address it now. I went with value at a postion of need in the very near future and gives us insurance for Poe, if he decides to walk after next year. I'm thinking big picture. BTW, thanks for the kind words-I appreciate it.