PDA

View Full Version : Shane Ray may drop out of 1st round

Dante84
04-23-2015, 07:51 AM
Apparently he needs foot surgery, which carries a 5 month rehab.

All over Twitter.

Ebolapox
04-23-2015, 09:13 AM
and I'd rush to the podium if he's there. insane measurables.

O.city
04-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Seems like a pure 43 de. Wouldn't want him standing up

BossChief
04-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Seems like a pure 43 de. Wouldn't want him standing up

We run a lot of 40 fronts

kccrow
04-23-2015, 11:08 AM
I'd have a hard time passing on a top 10 player I know I'd have back for October and beyond. With a player like Ray, that 5th year option would be comforting to have.

Bewbies
04-23-2015, 07:13 PM
Ok homers--

DGB and Ray on the board when we pick. Who do you draft?

thabear04
04-23-2015, 10:36 PM
Ok homers--

I say Ray.

Nightfyre
04-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Neither is a system fit but Ray is a superior talent and doesn't have red flags. That is an easy decision if I have to choose between the two.

Bowser
04-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Ok homers--

Ray in the first and DGB in the second. Profit.

srvy
04-24-2015, 10:26 PM
Man Shane Ray was everywhere today on espn. Hope he isn't the guy dropping in the first while the camera focus on his misery. He did say his doctor said he didn't need surgery. Seems like a fine kid.

Chiefshrink
04-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Buncha poker playing going on here with the foot thing. Don't bite. There are teams wanting him to fall(Chiefs IMO) and btw he is a pure 3/4 LB and would take him in a heartbeat if he falls in our lap

Chiefshrink
04-25-2015, 12:46 PM
He did say his doctor said he didn't need surgery. Seems like a fine kid.

This.

Saccopoo
04-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Buncha poker playing going on here with the foot thing. Don't bite. There are teams wanting him to fall(Chiefs IMO) and btw he is a pure 3/4 LB and would take him in a heartbeat if he falls in our lap

A single year after taking Dee Ford and watching him get just a handful of reps for an entire season?

You want to burn another first round pick on a guy who is going to be further down the depth chart than Dee Ford?

Shit dude.

Nightfyre
04-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Just a thought I want to pitch: Shane Ray - inside linebacker.

His lack of length wouldn't hurt him as much, and if he could use his skills to shed blockers, it would be interesting to see how effective he could be as a three down guy.

O.city
04-25-2015, 07:21 PM
Nah, he's a 43 DE to a T.

Landon Collins though, at ilb maybe

milkman
04-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Nah, he's a 43 DE to a T.

Landon Collins though, at ilb maybe

He'd need to add about 20 lbs and get a lot stronger.

BigChiefFan
04-27-2015, 07:18 AM
Could be a real steal for us, too bad we took Dee Ford last year.

BigChiefFan
04-27-2015, 07:24 AM
This is great news for us. If he falls, we need to sprint to the podium, this kid has superstar written all over him. A player of his caliber, you find a role for.

Bowser
04-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Could be a real steal for us, too bad we took Dee Ford last year.

Hey, you never know. The year the Giants knocked off the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl was the year they were absolutely loaded with pass rushers. OLB'ers that can get after the QB are arguably the second most important position on the field...

BigChiefFan
04-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Hey, you never know. The year the Giants knocked off the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl was the year they were absolutely loaded with pass rushers. OLB'ers that can get after the QB are arguably the second most important position on the field...
I agree. If we really are going BPA, we'd be hard pressed to find a better caliber player at 18.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Williams, Cooper, White, Parker, Fowler, Ray, Beasley, Gregory, Shelton.

Any of those guys fall to 18 you take them.

Urc Burry
04-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Came out that Jalen Collins failed multiple drug tests at LSU.. Could he make it to our 2nd rounder?

TribalElder
04-27-2015, 04:57 PM
Justin Houston

Weed smoking paid off for KC

Urc Burry
04-27-2015, 07:20 PM
@BKSportsTalk: SCOOP: Shane Ray cited for possession of marijuana this morning in Cooper County, MO. http://t.co/iUOtxrxY8X http://t.co/hpEIBYWoql

Definitely out of the first now.. Fucking idiot

thabear04
04-27-2015, 07:21 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/27/report-shane-ray-cited-for-marijuana-possession/

Report: Possible first-rounder Shane Ray cited for marijuana possession

Shane Ray
AP
An edge-rushing prospect thought to have a good shot at being selected in Round One has reportedly encountered an unwanted off-field issue three days before the draft.

Defensive end Shane Ray, a former University of Missouri standout, was cited Monday morning on a marjiuana possession charge, Brandon Kiley of KTGR radio in Columbia, Missouri reported.

An online record from the Missouri State Highway Patrol shows a Shane Ray being cited Monday morning for possessing less than 35 grams and a lane violation in Cooper County, Missouri.

According to Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Ray faces a misdemeanor charge and is to appear in court on June 30.

Rotoworld draft expert Josh Norris has the Cardinals selecting Ray 24th overall in his latest mock draft. And for a potential late first-round pick, this is a less-than-desirable development, to say the least.

srvy
04-27-2015, 07:24 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/27/report-shane-ray-cited-for-marijuana-possession/

Report: Possible first-rounder Shane Ray cited for marijuana possession

Shane Ray
AP
An edge-rushing prospect thought to have a good shot at being selected in Round One has reportedly encountered an unwanted off-field issue three days before the draft.

Defensive end Shane Ray, a former University of Missouri standout, was cited Monday morning on a marjiuana possession charge, Brandon Kiley of KTGR radio in Columbia, Missouri reported.

An online record from the Missouri State Highway Patrol shows a Shane Ray being cited Monday morning for possessing less than 35 grams and a lane violation in Cooper County, Missouri.

According to Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Ray faces a misdemeanor charge and is to appear in court on June 30.

Rotoworld draft expert Josh Norris has the Cardinals selecting Ray 24th overall in his latest mock draft. And for a potential late first-round pick, this is a less-than-desirable development, to say the least.

Damn knucklehead 3 days before the draft. How far will he drop? Take him in 3rd?

Prison Bitch
04-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Neither is a system fit but Ray is a superior talent and doesn't have red flags.

LMAO

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Dumbass !!!!

kccrow
04-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Uh oh. Looks like he'll be seeing the Justin Houston treatment. Would take in the 2nd round just because of the value.

Saccopoo
04-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Uh oh. Looks like he'll be seeing the Justin Houston treatment. Would take in the 2nd round just because of the value.

Not over any of the WR's or DB's that are going to be available with our pick.

No fucking way.

Third round...maybe.

Personally, I'm not enamored with Ray and don't think that he's going to have the impact at the next level that many around here *cough*tigerhomers*cough* do.

kccrow
04-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Disagree with that last statement Sac. Kid can bring it. He's raw, needs alot of work on technique, but he brings his lunch pail. I think he's one of Mizzou's best ever DE prospects. He was a top 10 lock in my eyes until the injury information came out. I figured a team that can afford to wait until mid-season on the kid would be a beneficiary of his slide. Now with the weed, he's in the exact same spot as Justin Houston was. I don't know that teams will make the same mistake they did with Houston though, but Ray will definitely drop out of round 1.

bowener
04-27-2015, 08:51 PM
Watch a team like the Seahawks draft both Gregory and Ray in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Bowser
04-27-2015, 09:02 PM
Watch a team like the Seahawks draft both Gregory and Ray in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/029/disgusted-mother-of-god.png

gonefishin53
04-27-2015, 09:47 PM
With the new CBA, players drafted after the first round can get the big payday, their second contract, after 4 years instead of 5. It might be better for Ray to get picked early second instead of late first. The injury was taking him out of early first. The drug bust should take him out of the late first.

DJ's left nut
04-28-2015, 08:26 AM
I think the Broncos or Seahawks end up with him.

To my eyes he's purely a 4-3 player. I just don't like him as a 3-4 OLB. His first step is what is so exceptional and while it's never truly 'wasted'; having him play a standup OLB doesn't take advantage of it nearly as well as having him put his hand on the ground and just go around guys. He was never asked to cover at Mizzou and while he probably has the motor for it, I'm not sure he has the agility.

I dunno - I just don't like him in a 3-4. He needs to add a little weight and play as the #2 DE on a team that can give him some help inside so he doesn't get swallowed up by double-teams due to his average length.

It's possible this could drop him to the 2nd but I think a team like Denver or Seattle will see him as an ideal fit and snap him up at the back of 1.

ct
04-28-2015, 09:04 AM

To my eyes he's purely a 4-3 player. I just don't like him as a 3-4 OLB. His first step is what is so exceptional and while it's never truly 'wasted'; having him play a standup OLB doesn't take advantage of it nearly as well as having him put his hand on the ground and just go around guys. He was never asked to cover at Mizzou and while he probably has the motor for it, I'm not sure he has the agility.

I dunno - I just don't like him in a 3-4. He needs to add a little weight and play as the #2 DE on a team that can give him some help inside so he doesn't get swallowed up by double-teams due to his average length.

It's possible this could drop him to the 2nd but I think a team like Denver or Seattle will see him as an ideal fit and snap him up at the back of 1.

Sad that you could pretty much copy/paste this exact analysis for our #1 last year, Dee Ford?

DJ's left nut
04-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Sad that you could pretty much copy/paste this exact analysis for our #1 last year, Dee Ford?

Nah - I like Ford a lot.

Ford has Ray's first step and legitimate speed that he can carry it with.

Of the two, I prefer Ford as an OLB and Ray as a 4-3 DE. Ray's body can handle more weight so he can play with his hand in the dirt. Ford's athleticism is simply better than Ray's so he can get out in space and/or travel the added distance that he'd need to go to be an effective 3-4 OLB.

I think Ford was a very good pick. Last year edge rushers were just a little undervalued. This year, in a very very deep class for pass rushers, more attention has been paid to them and I think Ford would easily go as high as 18. A guy like Fowler may go top 10 and he's not far removed from Ford as a pure prospect.

The Franchise
04-28-2015, 11:53 AM

Take the Broncos off of that list then because they're moving to the 3-4.

O.city
04-28-2015, 11:54 AM
Ray seems a little stiff to me to play olb.

I still like the idea of Dupree at ilb

DJ's left nut
04-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Take the Broncos off of that list then because they're moving to the 3-4.

No kidding? Must've missed that one. I guess that makes sense as Kubiak was running a 3-4 in Houston.

Well hell, I guess he could fall out of the first. And then again, maybe some team sees him as more capable of being a 3-4 player than I do, I just don't think he's built for it.

Saccopoo
04-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Ray seems a little stiff to me to play olb.

I still like the idea of Dupree at ilb

Short arms, horrible agility measurables, great burst and functional strength. He's a straight ahead pass rush end. Period. Elephant in a 34 or a RDE in a 43.

He isn't playing, nor is he suited to play ILB.

<iframe src="http://mockdraftable.com/player_embed/4912/selected/graph/" width="500" height="620" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-28-2015, 12:41 PM
Rd 1 ) DGB
Rd 2)Shane Ray
Rd 3-7) Who the fuck cares

SeeingRed
04-30-2015, 09:07 AM
Rd 1 ) DGB
Rd 2)Shane Ray
Rd 3-7) Who the **** cares

Teams are built in rounds 3 thru 7

ForeverChiefs58
04-30-2015, 09:23 AM
I'll put this in here too

Confusing reports emerge about Randy Gregory

In the aftermath of Nebraska pass rusher Randy Gregory’s failed drug test at the Scouting Combine, scuttlebutt emerged in league circles that the other shoe eventually would drop. It apparently now has. And I’m having a hard time making sense of it.

Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media report in a joint item, well, something.

“At least three general managers view him as a top-five talent. But according to more than a dozen coaches, scouts, personnel chiefs and GMs, there is concern about Gregory’s ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football,” Breer and Rapoport write. “And just how far he drops in this week’s draft will likely hinge on the individual psychological profiles (and the results of related testing) put together by each team, according to multiple veteran evaluators. He has been taken off a several team’s draft boards, according to multiple sources.”

There’s no elaboration on why or how Gregory lacks the “ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football.” The entire article, much of which is positive, creates the impression that the writers, editors, and/or lawyers were treading lightly.

Regardless, it leaves the reader with little tangible information that would make Gregory any different from any other man in his early 20s who is preparing to ascend from the college level to the NFL. For many players, there are questions about his ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football.

Earlier today, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports gave a far more dire — but even more vague — assessment of Gregory on The Dan Patrick Show: “I wouldn’t touch him . . . from what teams say . . . there are other issues,” Glazer said, via producer Paul Pabst’s Twitter account.

It’s not clear what those issues are, other than questions about his ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football.

Sully
04-30-2015, 09:26 AM
I'll put this in here too

Confusing reports emerge about Randy Gregory

In the aftermath of Nebraska pass rusher Randy Gregory’s failed drug test at the Scouting Combine, scuttlebutt emerged in league circles that the other shoe eventually would drop. It apparently now has. And I’m having a hard time making sense of it.

Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media report in a joint item, well, something.

“At least three general managers view him as a top-five talent. But according to more than a dozen coaches, scouts, personnel chiefs and GMs, there is concern about Gregory’s ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football,” Breer and Rapoport write. “And just how far he drops in this week’s draft will likely hinge on the individual psychological profiles (and the results of related testing) put together by each team, according to multiple veteran evaluators. He has been taken off a several team’s draft boards, according to multiple sources.”

There’s no elaboration on why or how Gregory lacks the “ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football.” The entire article, much of which is positive, creates the impression that the writers, editors, and/or lawyers were treading lightly.

Regardless, it leaves the reader with little tangible information that would make Gregory any different from any other man in his early 20s who is preparing to ascend from the college level to the NFL. For many players, there are questions about his ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football.

Earlier today, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports gave a far more dire — but even more vague — assessment of Gregory on The Dan Patrick Show: “I wouldn’t touch him . . . from what teams say . . . there are other issues,” Glazer said, via producer Paul Pabst’s Twitter account.

It’s not clear what those issues are, other than questions about his ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football.

I read another story about this last night, i think on deadspin. it sounds like an anxiety disorder, maybe like Ricky Williams.