PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 7 Things Learned From Dorsey's Press Conference

SeeingRed
04-24-2015, 04:08 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-General-Manager-John-Dorsey-Seven-Things-We-Learned/42f0c690-b8b3-49c7-8e0b-9c29e2c9ed69

Chiefs General Manager John Dorsey: Seven Things We Learned
Posted 3 hours ago

Pete Sweeney
Chiefs Reporter
KCChiefs.com
Email @pgsween
The Chiefs GM met with the media with the draft quickly approaching this Thursday

1. Dorsey revealed what is left to do from now until the draft on April 30 as far as preparing for it.

Chiefs general manager John Dorsey was first asked where his draft preparation process was on Friday morning.

"From a procedural standpoint, we met with the offensive coaches [Thursday]. I actually had some meetings with Andy (Reid) and Mark Donovan [Friday] morning and Clark (Hunt),” he said. “We'll meet with the defensive staff in regard's to the defensive staff's perspective. Then we'll meet with special teams coaches on Monday."

He also revealed the reason for getting so many of the personnel staff members’ opinions.

"What you want to do is get as much input as you possibly can with regards to how people see specific players, especially coaching staffs because they're going to have to coach them,” he said. “You listen to everybody, you filter through everything and see if it best fits the interest of the organization. Then on Monday, Andy and I will sit down collectively.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/assets/images/imported/KC/042415-DorseAndClark.jpg

2. Dorsey revealed the latest on linebacker Justin Houston.

"We've said all along that Justin's a great football player,” he said. “He really is. I foresee him being here for the future. If you’re going to asked me if I had conversations with his representatives, I have.

“We had conversations with his representatives the last three days."

3. Dorsey told the media how many "impact" players he feels there are in this draft.

"Of course, there's going to be 32 players in this draft," he said of the first round. "From the total number of impact players, I would say 10 to 12 players in this draft."

http://www.kcchiefs.com/assets/images/imported/KC/042415-DorseyIA.jpg

4. Dorsey has called around the league "to express interest."

Dorsey said he has spoken to other general managers around the league to open the door to potential deals.

"We have called around to express interest just to let everybody know we can talk," Dorsey said. "Let's have an open line of communication. Whatever you have to offer, let's talk about it."

5. Dorsey believes that an NFL draft pick’s immediate impact in the league depends on many things, including position and makeup.

Dorsey first explained that the main two things that go into immediate impact depend on a player’s position and their makeup, which in the past he has described as their “willingness to be great” or their “love for football.”

With that, he explained, there’s also the playbook.

“I think the hardest thing for young guys when they go from the college to the pros is grasping the playbook," he said. “I think that's a really demanding thing and that's hard to do, so that's one of the things that you work through to understand."

It also depends on coaching.

"It has to do with the coaching staff in terms of teaching. I think the teaching component is really important. In this [Chiefs] staff we have here, I think there's really some exceptional teachers that we have.

“It's a combination of the ability to grasp and the ability to teach."

http://www.kcchiefs.com/assets/images/imported/KC/042415-MikeCat.jpg

6. Dorsey shared thoughts on S Sanders Commings and DL Mike Catapano, two players who missed the 2014 campaign with injuries.

Safety Sanders Commings and defensive end Mike Catapano each had their seasons ended before they began with injuries in training camp, but Dorsey spoke about how their attitude to get back has been tremendous, and he is encouraging them to keep it up.

"I think that they need to take the same attitude that they had this offseason and take it all the way to training camp,” he said. “You look at Michael Catapano right now, he's 295 pounds. He looks wonderful."

And on Commings:

"He's diligently working. I just want those whole things to carry over into training camp and then we'll see what happens."

7. Dorsey revealed that he would have traded for offensive lineman Ben Grubbs regardless of having compensatory picks coming the Chiefs' way.

"I like the guy," Dorsey said. "He's a neat kid. Really good player."

SeeingRed
04-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Houston is the big fish left now. 20 sacks is nice to keep around.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Houston will get a contract done, we have tons of room next year and that may be when it actually happens.

I'm really anxious to see if catapano turns out to be one of those sleeper pics we nailed.

Sanders commings, this will be his last shot. We could use him.

SeeingRed
04-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Houston will get a contract done, we have tons of room next year and that may be when it actually happens.

I'm really anxious to see if catapano turns out to be one of those sleeper pics we nailed.

Sanders commings, this will be his last shot. We could use him.

Hope so on Houston. 20 sacks is a rarity. Hasn't happened that often in NFL history. Thats a lean, mean 260 lbs RARE athlete! Between him Tamba, Poe, Bailey & Devito we got some physically powerfully built guys up front. Walker looked pretty good last season as well. If DJ comes back healthy the front 7 is easily the strongest part of our team.

Catapano is another physical freak. If he stays healthy he can be an impact 3 tech pass rusher. Who looks like he does at 295 lbs in the NFL? Not many. Was drafted as an OLB and has exceptional athleticism for that size. I see him in a similar position as Kelce was in this time last year after missing the 2013 season.

If Catapano can have a break out season as an inside rusher (along with Poe & Howard) with the 3 outside edge rushers we got in Houston, Tamba (and hopefully Ford continues to develop) that nickel rush can be something special. That gives us 6 guys we can rotate in that nickel package who can get to the QB.

Commings same thing...has talent, but has to stay healthy. Injuries play a big role. This defense healthy could be great

Dunerdr
04-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Can you imagine if cat and commings are sleeper pics? Yeah. Now back to reality.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Hope so on Houston. 20 sacks is a rarity. Hasn't happened that often in NFL history. Thats a lean, mean 260 lbs RARE athlete! Between him Tamba, Poe, Bailey & Devito we got some physically powerfully built guys up front. Walker looked pretty good last season as well. If DJ comes back healthy the front 7 is easily the strongest part of our team.

Catapano is another physical freak. If he stays healthy he can be an impact 3 tech pass rusher. Who looks like he does at 295 lbs in the NFL? Not many. Was drafted as an OLB and has exceptional athleticism for that size. I see him in a similar position as Kelce was in this time last year after missing the 2013 season.

If Catapano can have a break out season as an inside rusher (along with Poe & Walker) with the 3 outside edge rushers we got in Houston, Tamba (and hopefully Ford continues to develop) that nickel rush can be something special. That gives us 6 guys we can rotate in that nickel package who can get to the QB.

Commings same thing...has talent, but has to stay healthy. Injuries play a big role. This defense healthy could be great

Can you imagine if we nailed a great ILB !!!!!!

SeeingRed
04-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Can you imagine if we nailed a great ILB !!!!!!

Hey put it this way if somehow Kendricks younger brother slips in the 2nd round he would be a steal! Prob won't happen but you never know. that would be awesome

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-24-2015, 06:42 PM
I think Dorsey made a great move in signing Grubbs to give us better options in the draft.

But no doubt we'll be getting us a WR with one of our first two picks.

SeeingRed
04-24-2015, 08:18 PM
I think Dorsey made a great move in signing Grubbs to give us better options in the draft.

But no doubt we'll be getting us a WR with one of our first two picks.

I wouldn't say "no doubt" as far as grabbing a WR rd #1 but id say its possible. CB possible too. Maybe even OL....but at least now we have more flexibility i agree.

Dunerdr
04-24-2015, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't say "no doubt" as far as grabbing a WR rd #1 but id say its possible. CB possible too. Maybe even OL....but at least now we have more flexibility i agree.

Based on green bays history. And Dorsey's history so far. There's a 0% chance of us going round 1 wife reciever. However the chances of us going round 2 wr and him panning out well above average are looking solid.

SeeingRed
04-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Based on green bays history. And Dorsey's history so far. There's a 0% chance of us going round 1 wife reciever. However the chances of us going round 2 wr and him panning out well above average are looking solid.

so what is your guess for the #18 pick?

Baby Lee
04-24-2015, 10:59 PM
Can you imagine if cat and commings are sleeper pics? Yeah. Now back to reality.

Mom's spaghetti.

penbrook
04-24-2015, 11:10 PM

Expect a CB. It's all about the future. He got Fisher when Albert was gone. He got Ford when Hali is on his last legs. Now with Sean Smith in his last year and facing a 2 game suspension.

Psyko Tek
04-24-2015, 11:19 PM

OT
we are the chiefs

bevischief
04-25-2015, 02:30 AM
Pooptacos.

BossChief
04-25-2015, 10:37 AM
Hey put it this way if somehow Kendricks younger brother slips in the 2nd round he would be a steal! Prob won't happen but you never know. that would be awesome

Would be nice if we could trade for Mychal and draft Eric in the second.

Sure would shore up the middle of the defense.

Easy 6
04-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Yes, there are some if's involved... but if even 3/4 of them fall into place, this defense really is going to be special, top 3 or better special.

Combine that with an offense brought up to "adequate", and I fully expect atleast one playoff win.

Chiefshrink
04-25-2015, 11:28 AM

Expect a CB. It's all about the future. He got Fisher when Albert was gone. He got Ford when Hali is on his last legs. Now with Sean Smith in his last year and facing a 2 game suspension.

Dorsey's comments here are 'standard' among the league GMs, so IMO there is no real info here.

You both make good points here and I would guess that we go 'defense' again with our 1st pick. Can you say Shane Ray? If he falls a bit I can see us possibly making a move to get him because he is the perfect 3/4 linebacker that could take the place of Hali in the future.

SeeingRed
04-25-2015, 09:48 PM
Dorsey's comments here are 'standard' among the league GMs, so IMO there is no real info here.

You both make good points here and I would guess that we go 'defense' again with our 1st pick. Can you say Shane Ray? If he falls a bit I can see us possibly making a move to get him because he is the perfect 3/4 linebacker that could take the place of Hali in the future.

So then we would have 4 OLBs...2 all pro and 2 1st round picks? I'd rather see a CB to be honest

Titty Meat
04-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Again if you think theres only that many impact guys why wouldn't you trade up to get 1?

Iowanian
04-27-2015, 09:53 AM
The biggest thing you can learn from a PC coming into the draft is that they aren't going to tell you anything, and for good reason.

We're 5-6 days away from a PC with any meaningful content.

The Franchise
04-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Would be nice if we could trade for Mychal and draft Eric in the second.

Sure would shore up the middle of the defense.

Rotoworld.com was saying that it's going to take a 2nd or a 3rd to get Mychal.