PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Worst Drafts picks team by team

Renegade
04-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Some epic fail in this thread. Team by team worst draft busts.

KC= Blackledge. I would have voted for Simms.
SD= Leaf (no surprise)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-worst-draft-picks-of-all-time-for-every-nfl-team/ss-AAbAnFY#image=1

ptlyon
04-29-2015, 11:54 AM
Eric Fisher

The Franchise
04-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Simms?

milkman
04-29-2015, 11:57 AM
Simms?

Ryan Sims, probably, and he doesn't touch Blackledge as the worst.

Eleazar
04-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Simms?

A dozen years on, and he's still getting one more M than he deserves.

Amnorix
04-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Regarding the Ravens and the Boller pick -- that was doubly sweet because they traded with the Patriots to GET the pick that they used on Boller. The trade that they made was a 2nd rounder that same year (used to get Eugene Wilson, a decent but not great safety who helped on two SB winning teams) and a 1st rounder in 2004.

Which we used to get Vince Fucking Wilfork.

oooooooh yeah!!!

ILChief
04-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Sylvester Morris and Jon Baldwin deserve a mention

Amnorix
I'd need to think about it, but Ken Sims as the worst pick ever for the Patriots is a bit shaky. He was massively overdrafted, but he did play 8 years.

Reggie Dupard (RB) was taken pretty late in the first round, and had less than 500 career rushing yarsd for us. Hart Lee Dykes (WR) was drafted at 16 and played 26 games total. Eugene Chung (OL) was taken at 13 and was just awful. Lasted 2-3 years.

Sims at 1 was an awful pick only because of where he went. Big part of the problem is that the 1982 draft was just a terrible, terrible draft for the most part. A grand total of THREE hall of famers out of that draft TOTAL! (Pats got one of them in Andre Tippett in the 2nd round).

Not that any of you guys care at all, of course...

EDIT: Actually, Sims was hurt for half of those years, and only had 2 years where he played 15+ games, so yeah, it's him. Never mind. :banghead:

ILChief
Eric Fisher

Not even close

KC_Lee
Paul Palmer anyone?

milkman
04-29-2015, 12:20 PM

You could mention a couple of others, but it could be argued that no single pick has set back any franchise more than Todd Blackledge.

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2015, 12:25 PM
I can think of several picks worse than Todd Blackledge.

Brian Jozwiak
Ethan Horton
Paul Palmer
Trezelle Jenkins

milkman
04-29-2015, 12:27 PM
I can think of several picks worse than Todd Blackledge.

Brian Jozwiak
Ethan Horton
Paul Palmer
Trezelle Jenkins

Not even close.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 12:29 PM

Sly and Baldwin don't deserve to be lumped together. Morris was a good receiver that couldn't stay healthy. Baldwin was just bad.

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Todd Blackledge is only perceived as a bad pick because of the other QB's available in that draft. Guys with much lower pedigrees and just as awful (if not worse) professional careers have been chosen a countless number of times by NFL teams and often at higher positions.

The idea that Blackledge was an awful selection has also been exacerbated by the fact that he was the last QB chosen by the Chiefs in the first round.

Had the Chiefs taken as many first round QB's as Cleveland has since their return in 1999, Blackledge would be but a footnote in Chiefs history.

milkman
04-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Todd Blackledge is only perceived as a bad pick because of the other QB's available in that draft. Guys with much lower pedigrees and just as awful (if not worse) professional careers have been chosen a countless number of times by NFL teams and often at higher positions.

The idea that Blackledge was an awful selection has also been exacerbated by the fact that he was the last QB chosen by the Chiefs in the first round. Had they taken as many as Cleveland has since their return in 1999, Blackledge would be but a footnote in Chiefs history.

That very fact is exactly the reason he is easily the worst pick, by far.

ptlyon
04-29-2015, 12:41 PM

That, and the asshole was from Michigan.

Mile High Mania
04-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Lots of QBs on that list ... so much good potential gone wrong.

Regarding Maddox - I remember cursing the selection, and I'd call that a bad pick just because it by far was not a need. Would have been great to get Carl Pickens there. Maddox may have had a decent career elsewhere.

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 12:51 PM

Eh, teams miss on players all of the time. I can't blame them for not knowing that Marino and O'Brien would have been better selections.

What I can blame them for is not selecting another first round QB since. Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers come to mind.

Bob Dole
04-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Not sure how trading an entire draft for Ricky Williams didn't get consideration for the Saints.

Hootie
04-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Nah. Jon Baldwin gets a pass. You can basically just call Jon Baldwin Justin Houston and call it a great pick.

Eleazar
04-29-2015, 01:23 PM
I was thinking Trezelle Jenkins. It's not as if Blackledge didn't have a pedigree or anything.

IowaChiefs83
04-29-2015, 01:23 PM
Todd Blackledge instead of Dan Marino and then just a couple years later we draft Horton right before the 49ers drafted Jerry Rice. Damn and I thought drafting Stephenson right before Seattle drafted Wilson was bad.

el borracho
04-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Todd Blackledge
Trezelle Jenkins
Jon Baldwin
Sims
Fisher
Jr. Saliva

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-29-2015, 01:54 PM
All of Oakland 1st round picks the last 10 years until 2014

Deberg_1990
04-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Ryan Sims stung bad because we absolutely needed a defensive stud at that moment in time.

TEX
04-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Todd Blackledge
Trezelle Jenkins
Jon Baldwin
Sims
Fisher
Jr. Saliva

YIJES!!!!! :eek:

notorious
04-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Blackledge has set this franchise back nearly 40 years. He is the reason the Chiefs are massive vaginas when it comes to drafting QBs.

bdj23
04-29-2015, 04:36 PM
I'd need to think about it, but Ken Sims as the worst pick ever for the Patriots is a bit shaky. He was massively overdrafted, but he did play 8 years.

Reggie Dupard (RB) was taken pretty late in the first round, and had less than 500 career rushing yarsd for us. Hart Lee Dykes (WR) was drafted at 16 and played 26 games total. Eugene Chung (OL) was taken at 13 and was just awful. Lasted 2-3 years.

Sims at 1 was an awful pick only because of where he went. Big part of the problem is that the 1982 draft was just a terrible, terrible draft for the most part. A grand total of THREE hall of famers out of that draft TOTAL! (Pats got one of them in Andre Tippett in the 2nd round).

Not that any of you guys care at all, of course...

EDIT: Actually, Sims was hurt for half of those years, and only had 2 years where he played 15+ games, so yeah, it's him. Never mind. :banghead:

You're right. Nobody cares.

L.A. Chieffan
04-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Tyson Jackson

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 05:41 PM
I think their worst first round selection was trading the #12 overall pick to St. Louis for a still injured Trent Green instead of taking future Hall of Famer Drew Brees.

IMO, that's the single worst decision the Chiefs franchise has ever made.

Bufkin
04-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Opened it up, clicked once, made it to Atlanta, saw Jamaal Anderson (who isn't even in the top 5 of Falcon busts), laughed, closed it out.

Bufkin
04-29-2015, 05:55 PM
I think their worst first round selection was trading the #12 overall pick to St. Louis for a still injured Trent Green instead of taking future Hall of Famer Drew Brees.

Brees was the first pick in the 2nd round. It's easy to use hindsight and say that the Chiefs should have drafted Brees with the 12th overall pick, but in all actuality, it would have been a huge reach and pretty unrealistic.

It's also interesting to note that the Rams used that pick to take Damione Lewis, who was about as effective as Jovan Belcher post-suicide. I'm not saying the Trent Green trade was great or anything, but given his productivity, I can't imagine it being the worst.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2015, 06:17 PM

There is no way that is in the same galaxy as Blackledge over Marino.

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 06:20 PM

I think it's even worse because Lamar Hunt should have learned his lesson in the 80's.

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 06:21 PM
Brees was the first pick in the 2nd round. It's easy to use hindsight and say that the Chiefs should have drafted Brees with the 12th overall pick, but in all actuality, it would have been a huge reach and pretty unrealistic.

It's also interesting to note that the Rams used that pick to take Damione Lewis, who was about as effective as Jovan Belcher post-suicide. I'm not saying the Trent Green trade was great or anything, but given his productivity, I can't imagine it being the worst.

There were many people here on Chiefsplanet, myself included, that wanted the Chiefs to take Brees. Al Saunders did a pre-draft interview in which he stated how much he loved Brees and how he'd be a perfect fit for the Coryell offense (which of course, was true).

But Dick Vermeil had to have Trent Green, so that was that. It still sucks to this day.

Bufkin
04-29-2015, 06:28 PM
There were many people here on Chiefsplanet, myself included, that wanted the Chiefs to take Brees. Al Saunders did a pre-draft interview in which he stated how much he loved Brees and how he'd be a perfect fit for the Coryell offense (which of course, was true).

But Dick Vermeil had to have Trent Green, so that was that. It still sucks to this day.
I'm a Falcon fan, so you (and others) certainly know about it more than I do. I vaguely remember the 01 draft, and thought Brees would drop pretty far. This had nothing to do with me watching him play at Purdue and everything to do with him being a midget.

listopencil
04-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Lots of QBs on that list ... so much good potential gone wrong.

Regarding Maddox - I remember cursing the selection, and I'd call that a bad pick just because it by far was not a need. Would have been great to get Carl Pickens there. Maddox may have had a decent career elsewhere.

Reeves drafted Maddox because he was planning to trade Elway to the Redskins, which is why Bowlen fired him.

BullJunkandIron
04-29-2015, 08:51 PM

Huh? I bet Todd doesn't even know that. Get facts straight.

SAUTO
04-29-2015, 09:01 PM

Huh?
Sandusky raped him first then we got fucked over it.

beach tribe
04-29-2015, 11:07 PM

Morris looked pretty Sly before he broke his leg off.

beach tribe
04-29-2015, 11:09 PM

Nothing can even sniff that shit.

Not even close.

Just Passin' By
04-30-2015, 01:21 AM
Some of the selections are terrible. Gholston was a far worse pick than Brady for the Jets, just to name one.

Mojo Jojo
04-30-2015, 03:51 AM
LOL...the Chiefs passed on Kelly...what part of he didn't even play for the Bills his first two years because he was with the Houston Gamblers of the USFL...
Jozwiak is my pick...still remember watching that draft...two players later a DE was selected and all highlights were him beating Jozwiak. And Jozwiak heldout saying he was also considering a career in pro wrestling.

BigBeauford
04-30-2015, 04:33 AM
I don't see how Fisher is completely exempt from consideration. He has been consistently a bottom of the Barrell tackle according to PFF his whole time, has had injuries, and was a #1 overall pick.

ChiefGator
04-30-2015, 05:47 AM
I don't see how Fisher is completely exempt from consideration. He has been consistently a bottom of the Barrell tackle according to PFF his whole time, has had injuries, and was a #1 overall pick.

Because he has only played two years?

He is already better than Trezelle Jenkins ever was. To me, it is between Jenkins and Blackledge.

Players that can't stay healthy I will exempt a bit, but just plain sucking puts you at the top of the list.

Eleazar
04-30-2015, 06:00 AM
Blackledge has set this franchise back nearly 40 years. He is the reason the Chiefs are massive vaginas when it comes to drafting QBs.

Is it your opinion that Dorsey is influenced by the Blackledge decision?

notorious
04-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Is it your opinion that Dorsey is influenced by the Blackledge decision?

No, I think it was a Lamar issue.

FishingRod
04-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Honorable mention
1990 Percy Snow instead of Emmitt Smith.

It actually made sense at the time but Emmitt Smith

milkman
04-30-2015, 07:24 AM
Honorable mention
1990 Percy Snow instead of Emmitt Smith.

It actually made sense at the time but Emmitt Smith

Smith would have had a good career in KC because they did have a damn good O-Line, but he is the all time career rushing leader, in large part, due to that tremendous line he ran behind in Dallas.

ChiTown
04-30-2015, 07:28 AM
It's Todd Blackledge, and it's not even close.

Go back and look at that 1983 Draft and get back to me after you quit your bawling......

Eleazar
04-30-2015, 09:00 AM
For those of you who are long enough in the balls to have seen Blackledge play, what exactly was his problem?

FishingRod
04-30-2015, 09:23 AM
For those of you who are long enough in the balls to have seen Blackledge play, what exactly was his problem?

Inaccurate and had no running game to help. Kind of a little worse Matt Cassel. I remember a game against the Rams where he threw so many interceptions that when he threw eventually threw a long one the announcers said well that is as good as a punt.