PDA

View Full Version : Football Chicago Bears place Martellus Bennett on trade block

thabear04
04-29-2015, 02:57 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000488805/article/chicago-bears-place-martellus-bennett-on-trade-block

Is on his way out of Chicago?

The Bears have placed the veteran tight end on the trading block, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday, citing sources informed of the team's thinking. If another club swings a deal for Bennett, they'll do so knowing that the talented pass-catcher wants a contract extension.

Bennett signed a four-year, $20.4 million deal with the Bears in 2013, but the eighth-year pro has been a no-show for Chicago's offseason workouts. With running back Matt Forte also skipping the sessions, a whopping 53 percent of the team's total net offense from last season is missing.

Bennett is set to earn $4.9 million in base salary this season along with a $100,000 workout bonus. In two campaigns with the Bears, the 28-year-old target has pulled in 155 catches for 1,675 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Bennett also drew a five-day, team-imposed suspension in August after annoying players and coaches with a lackadaisical effort in training camp capped by his fight with cornerback Kyle Fuller.

The Bennett Bros. are having one heck of an offseason, with Michael, the Seahawks pass rusher, also reportedly seeking a new deal after inking a four-year, $28.5 million pact in 2014.

Money aside, Martellus would give tight end-needy teams a bona fide target through the air. We wouldn't be surprised to see someone come calling.

Discuss Thrower
04-29-2015, 02:58 PM
a 4th rounder and tree fiddy

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 03:01 PM
No thanks. He's a lazy phuck with no fire for the game. He flamed out in Dallas and could never get it going and the reports from Chicago aren't encouraging either. He got paid, now his career is over.

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 03:05 PM
They'll be lucky to six pack of Old Milwaukee and a pack of smokes for Bennett

The Franchise
04-29-2015, 03:05 PM
2 years into his new contract and he wants another one. No thanks.

BigChiefFan
04-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Overrated. I'd rather keep our pick that it would take to get him.

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2015, 03:31 PM
LMAO

This place cracks me up. I'm in no way saying the guy is Gronk 2.0, but he put up almost 1000 yards and 6 TD's as the FOURTH option in that offense.

You can certainly question why he wants a new deal two years into his current one, but to call him lazy, worthless or overrated is ridiculous.

If Bennett is overrated, surely Kelce is too - they put up comparable numbers, even though Kelce is option 2 in this offense.

Just curious - are there ANY talented players on other teams in this league? Because according to most of CP, the rest of the league is hot garbage.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 03:41 PM
LMAO

This place cracks me up. I'm in no way saying the guy is Gronk 2.0, but he put up almost 1000 yards and 6 TD's as the FOURTH option in that offense.

You can certainly question why he wants a new deal two years into his current one, but to call him lazy, worthless or overrated is ridiculous.

If Bennett is overrated, surely Kelce is too - they put up comparable numbers, even though Kelce is option 2 in this offense.

Just curious - are there ANY talented players on other teams in this league? Because according to most of CP, the rest of the league is hot garbage.

Did you watch the Hard Knocks series for the Dallas Cowboys?

The guy CLEARLY has no fire and lacks motivation. He moped around the field the entire series.

Did you read the OP where they mentioned how he annoyed team mates and coaches with piss poor effort?

The guy has 1 season worth a shit and a lot more damning evidence that suggests he's not worth his contract.

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 03:42 PM
LMAO

Have you read much about Martellus Bennett? He's a "different" dude and football is definitely not his first love. He's into art and art galleries, experimental music and more. He's into all types of things, actually, but football is low on his list of priorities.

Now, I'm not saying that he can't be effective on the field but he's a guy that plays only when he wants to play and like his brother, he often voices a dissenting opinion in the locker room.

He's one of those guys that plays football because he can, not because he loves the game.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 03:43 PM
7 Seasons in the NFL, not a single season in which he reached the 1K Yard mark, his effort and motivation has been questioned his entire career and now his 3rd team is willing to trade him....

Yet he's NOT overrated? :rolleyes:

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2015, 03:54 PM
7 Seasons in the NFL, not a single season in which he reached the 1K Yard mark, his effort and motivation has been questioned his entire career and now his 3rd team is willing to trade him....

Holy fuck. You know how many TE's gain 1000 yards?

Last year it was TWO.

Guess who was THIRD in yardage?

Mr. Overrated.

Any guesses as to how many TE's gained 1000 yards in 2013? 2012?

Hint: There were fewer in both seasons than in 2014.

You're going to belittle the guy because he wasn't one of the FOUR players over the last three seasons to break 1000 yards at the TE position? Sorry, man - I really like you, but that's fucking stupid.

I don't give two fucks about the perceptions of message board fans. And I certainly don't care about what happened years ago in Dallas. Guys who are unmotivated and lazy don't show improvement three years running.

Right now, he's a pretty damn good TE - who has improved each of the last three years - it certainly wouldn't hurt having another talented TE here considering who our QB is.

jspchief
04-29-2015, 03:56 PM

And on top of that, he thinks he's worth more than $5m per. My first thought when I saw the thread was "maybe if the price is right" and that price is definitely not right.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:01 PM
Holy ****. You know how many TE's gain 1000 yards?

Last year it was TWO.

Mr. Overrated.

You're going to belittle the guy because he wasn't one of the FOUR players over the last three seasons to break 1000 yards at the TE position? Sorry, man - I really like you, but that's ****ing stupid.

I don't give two ****s about the perceptions of message board fans. And I certainly don't care about what happened years ago in Dallas. Guys who are unmotivated and lazy don't show improvement three years running.

Right now, he's a pretty damn good TE - who has improved each of the last three years - it certainly wouldn't hurt having another talented TE here considering who our QB is.

My point being he had ONE good season in a 7 season career. You wanna sit here and just brush off countless reports of his poor work ethic as if it doesn't matter. It does.

It was a huge problem for Dallas, and apparently it's a problem yet AGAIN for Chicago. All of a sudden it won't be a problem in KC?

This is a theme for him. And he's already demanding a pay raise? Basically, he wants to be paid like an elite TE because of one good season's worth of production.

Not Interested.

ThaVirus
04-29-2015, 04:02 PM

We could certainly use his talent but I think that's a question as to whether or not you believe a player can ruin team chemistry.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:05 PM
We could certainly use his talent but I think that's a question as to whether or not you believe a player can ruin team chemistry.

Doesn't matter. Chiefs aren't going to pay him when they have Kelce on the roster.

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2015, 04:07 PM
And on top of that, he thinks he's worth more than $5m per. My first thought when I saw the thread was "maybe if the price is right" and that price is definitely not right.

15 TE's are making more than $5M per right now.

I can only find three guys that have outproduced him the last two years.

Graham, Olsen and Gates.

Add Gronk to that list, he certainly would have if healthy.

If I'm Bennett and I see guys like Charles Clay, Kyle Rudolph, Dennis Pitta, Lance Kendricks, Jared Cook and Heath Miller making more than $5M, I'm sure as fuck going to be asking for it as well.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:10 PM
Just finished reading an article where he basically throws his teammates under the bus, claiming that certain positions "Need more passion and leadership, they know who they are".

Also ran his mouth in Dallas claiming that Kitna should have a crack at starting over Romo....

Not Interested.

TimBone
04-29-2015, 04:14 PM
LMAO

Holy fuck. You know how many TE's gain 1000 yards?

Last year it was TWO.

Mr. Overrated.

You're going to belittle the guy because he wasn't one of the FOUR players over the last three seasons to break 1000 yards at the TE position? Sorry, man - I really like you, but that's fucking stupid.

I don't give two fucks about the perceptions of message board fans. And I certainly don't care about what happened years ago in Dallas. Guys who are unmotivated and lazy don't show improvement three years running.

15 TE's are making more than $5M per right now.

I can only find three guys that have outproduced him the last two years.

Graham, Olsen and Gates.

Add Gronk to that list, he certainly would have if healthy.

If I'm Bennett and I see guys like Charles Clay, Kyle Rudolph, Dennis Pitta, Lance Kendricks, Jared Cook and Heath Miller making more than $5M, I'm sure as fuck going to be asking for it as well.
Sometimes the talent just isn't worth the headache it brings with it.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:17 PM
The only thing i even remember about the Cowboys Hard Knocks was how shitty Bennett's demeanor was. No joke. It's the ONLY thing i remember from that show. It annoyed the shit out of me.

It's a lasting image of him burned into my brain. And then to find out he's doing it again in Chicago?

Not Interested.

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2015, 04:18 PM

Yeah, because look how far "team chemistry" has gotten us.

Look, I know there's no way in hell he comes here, my whole point in this is that there's no statistical evidence to prove the claims of being worthless or lazy.

It's another classic case of attempting to minimize a guy's talent simply because he doesn't play for the home team. If he's the PITA everyone seems to think he is, he won't get moved. My guess is someone grabs him for a 4th or so.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:21 PM
Y

It's another classic case of attempting to minimize a guy's talent simply because he doesn't play for the home team.

Bull fucking shit. That's not my thing.

Fact is, there's been many reports from multiple teams about his poor work ethic. I have no idea why you keep saying people are making shit up about him being lazy. It even notes it right there in the damn OP.

He has a reputation. Chiefsplanet didn't randomly start spreading rumors about him that magically caught on in NFL circles.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Hrmmm.....I wonder why Chicago isn't interested in paying this supposed top 5 TE after his career best season? Why would they rather trade him?

What could they possibly know about him?

Easy 6
04-29-2015, 04:24 PM
No thanks. He's a lazy ***** with no fire for the game. He flamed out in Dallas and could never get it going and the reports from Chicago aren't encouraging either. He got paid, now his career is over.

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2015, 04:25 PM
I'd like an explanation:

How does a guy become the 4th highest producing TE in the last two years - in an offense where he's the FOURTH option - if he's lazy?

You guys continue to wring your hands over news reports, "reputations" and perception.

I'll continue to only care about what happens between the lines on gameday.

Discuss Thrower
04-29-2015, 04:26 PM
I'd like an explanation:

How does a guy become the 4th highest producing TE in the last two years - in an offense where he's the FOURTH option - if he's lazy?

You guys continue to wring your hands over news reports, "reputations" and perception.

http://ivoh.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Narrative2.jpg

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2015, 04:29 PM
Hrmmm.....I wonder why Chicago isn't interested in paying this supposed top 5 TE after his career best season? Why would they rather trade him?

What could they possibly know about him?

Hmmm.

I wonder why KC isn't interested in paying an elite OLB after a career best season?

For the same reason Chicago isn't bending over to pay Bennett:

THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

One is under contract, the other is on a tag.

Holy shit, you've lost your mind. Sure, NFL teams just willingly give raises to players just because they ask for them!

Pasta Little Brioni
04-29-2015, 04:32 PM
We have a stud TE,so don't curr

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:32 PM
I'd like an explanation:

Yeah you say that.....

I like how you dismiss his entire body of work over a single season's worth of effort.

4 BAD seasons
2 average seasons
Reports and video evidence of poor work ethic in Dallas
Reports of poor work ethic in Chicago
Gets into a fight with a team mate in Chicago
Throws Chicago teammates under the bus
Claims that Romo should have to compete with Kitna for the starting job (throwing Romo under the bus basically)
Holds out in 2015 for a a new contract, just 2 years into his existing contract.

vs

ONE 900 yard season in 2014.

There's your risk vs reward. Oh, and you need you give up a draft pick for him as well as pay him a top 5 contract.

This is a no brainer.

ThaVirus
04-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Yeah, because look how far "team chemistry" has gotten us.

Look, I know there's no way in hell he comes here, my whole point in this is that there's no statistical evidence to prove the claims of being worthless or lazy.

It's another classic case of attempting to minimize a guy's talent simply because he doesn't play for the home team. If he's the PITA everyone seems to think he is, he won't get moved. My guess is someone grabs him for a 4th or so.

I wasn't actually disagreeing...

But there definitely does seem to be something to the whole team chemistry thing. There's a difference between a talented player that makes/has made stupid decisions off the field at times (Josh Gordon, Justin Houston) and a guy that is known to be an un-agreeable (I probably made that word up) black hole (Bennett, Percy Harvin).

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Hmmm.

I wonder why KC isn't interested in paying an elite OLB after a career best season?

For the same reason Chicago isn't bending over to pay Bennett:

THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

One is under contract, the other is on a tag.

Holy shit, you've lost your mind. Sure, NFL teams just willingly give raises to players just because they ask for them!

Oh really? Did i miss the report on KC willing to trade Houston? Last i checked, they were negotiating, not putting him on the trade block. Get out of here with that comparison. On top of that Houston has had more than 1 season's worth of elite play.

Awful comparison.

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Yeah you say that.....

I like how you dismiss his entire body of work over a single season's worth of effort.

Funny, most of this board has done EXACTLY that regarding one Alex D. Smith.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Funny, most of this board has done EXACTLY that regarding one Alex D. Smith.

Hi, my user name is Detoxing. Not "Most of this board".

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2015, 04:38 PM
Oh really? Did i miss the report on KC willing to trade Houston? Last i checked, they were negotiating, not putting him on the trade block. Get out of here with that comparison. On top of that Houston has had more than 1 season's worth of elite play.

Awful comparison.

You completely missed the point.

You're implying that Chicago isn't paying him because he's a problem.

THEY ARE paying him. He's under contract. They just haven't given in to his demands yet, just like they haven't given in to Forte's demands yet.

They aren't giving him a raise because THEY DON'T HAVE TO. He can come to work, or sit out.

Coach
04-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Pass.

I'd rather use the draft pick on a player than to get a TE with a questionable ethic and love of the game.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:43 PM
You completely missed the point.

You're implying that Chicago isn't paying him because he's a problem.

THEY ARE paying him. He's under contract. They just haven't given in to his demands yet, just like they haven't given in to Forte's demands yet.

They aren't giving him a raise because THEY DON'T HAVE TO. He can come to work, or sit out.

No, im implying that Chicago doesn't believe he's worth the pay raise. Yes, of course they're willing to pay him the contract they agreed upon.

This isn't a case of waiting out his demands. This is a case of, "You wanna sit out? Hit the road. Not worth it".

THEY DON'T HAVE TO put him on the trade block either. But they did.

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Pass.

I'd rather use the draft pick on a player than to get a TE with a questionable ethic and love of the game.

We couldn't even if we wanted to - we have no money this year, and he wasn't an extension. If he's willing to sit out in Chicago, he's willing to sit out in KC.

I'm not even advocating trading for him. I'm just responding to the ridiculous comments about a guy who has only been outproduced by three TE's over the last two years being lazy.

Fuck, I wish Alex Smith was that lazy.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:48 PM
We couldn't even if we wanted to - we have no money this year, and he wasn't an extension. If he's willing to sit out in Chicago, he's willing to sit out in KC.

I'm not even advocating trading for him. I'm just responding to the ridiculous comments about a guy who has only been outproduced by three TE's over the last two years being lazy.

****, I wish Alex Smith was that lazy.

Ask the Cowboys and Bears why they call him lazy. Stop acting like Chiefsplanet randomly made that shit up.

You're arguing with the NFL teams he played on, not us.

The point remains, i can give you a truck load of bad history with this guy with everything from bad production, poor work ethic and stirring the pot and all you can give me to combat that is a single 900 yard season, after which, he holds out.

There's no argument to be had there. You're basically taking 6 years of history and throwing it out the window and claiming that none of it matters because "that one time in 2014".

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2015, 04:50 PM
No, im implying that Chicago doesn't believe he's worth the pay raise. Yes, of course they're willing to pay him the contract they agreed upon.

This isn't a case of waiting out his demands. This is a case of, "You wanna sit out? Hit the road. Not worth it".

THEY DON'T HAVE TO put him on the trade block either. But they did.

Missed the mark again.

Even IF they think he's worth the raise, why the fuck would they give in NOW?

Answer: They wouldn't.

You're also implying that putting him on the trade block means they are sick of his shit. You're speculating, based on shit you know about a reality show from a half-decade or more ago.

If he came in and asked for $9M a season, and they know they can't pay him that - or aren't willing to pay him that - of course they are going to put him on the block and see what the market will offer. And if no one bites, he can either show up at his current rate, or sit and not get paid.

Chicago has 100% of the leverage here.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 04:51 PM
Missed the mark again.

Even IF they think he's worth the raise, why the **** would they give in NOW?

Answer: They wouldn't.

You're also implying that putting him on the trade block means they are sick of his shit. You're speculating, based on shit you know about a reality show from a half-decade or more ago.

If he came in and asked for $9M a season, and they know they can't pay him that - or aren't willing to pay him that - of course they are going to put him on the block and see what the market will offer. And if no one bites, he can either show up at his current rate, or sit and not get paid.

Chicago has 100% of the leverage here.

No.

There's a huge difference between not giving in and putting someone on the trade block.

BIG difference.

OnTheWarpath15
04-29-2015, 04:59 PM
Did you even READ that post? Last comment and I'm done, because you refuse to consider anything other than "it's because he's lazy".

This has nothing to do with giving in because no team in this situation would do so in APRIL. Because they hold all the cards.

You want to assume this is all about his character, when you have precisely ZERO percent information to base that assumption on.

If I'm the GM of a football team and my fourth of four weapons on offense came to me and wanted a raise - and I knew that I either couldn't pay him, or was unwilling to because I have all the leverage with him being under contract - I'd put him on the block as well and see what I could get.

If I get a good offer, I make the deal.

If I don't, I've lost nothing. I still have all the leverage because he's still under contract and I don't have to pay him a penny more.

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 05:19 PM
If the Bears cut Bennett, they'll save almost $4 million this year towards the cap. They already traded Brandon Marshall and there's rumors of getting rid of Cutler, which will cost them almost $13 million.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a massive roster purge shortly, with Bennett out the door. He's a not a John Fox "Attaboy" type guy, anyway.

Easy 6
04-29-2015, 05:29 PM
For someone thats "not even advocating" for getting the guy, you're sure on a holy roller, OTWP.

ModSocks
04-29-2015, 05:46 PM
Did you even READ that post? Last comment and I'm done, because you refuse to consider anything other than "it's because he's lazy".

This has nothing to do with giving in because no team in this situation would do so in APRIL. Because they hold all the cards.

You want to assume this is all about his character, when you have precisely ZERO percent information to base that assumption on.

If I'm the GM of a football team and my fourth of four weapons on offense came to me and wanted a raise - and I knew that I either couldn't pay him, or was unwilling to because I have all the leverage with him being under contract - I'd put him on the block as well and see what I could get.

If I get a good offer, I make the deal.

If I don't, I've lost nothing. I still have all the leverage because he's still under contract and I don't have to pay him a penny more.

My take isn't "simply because he's lazy". My take is that he's not worth the contract/trade because of his baggage and small sample of production.

You want to latch onto one season of production and use that single season to justify him. Sorry, i need more than that. And when you couple that with all of his off the field BS and otherwise LACK of production for most of his career, i think the move is pretty obvious.

You keep saying they don't have to pay him. Of course they don't. They don't have to TRADE him either. That is telling.

Im not sitting here claiming i know WHY they wanna trade him, but they do.

They could:

1. Express an interest to re-negotiate
2. Express no interest to re-negotiate until a later time
3. Let him hold out until he caves.

But they aren't doing any of that.

By initiating trade talk right away, they're making a statement. They're clearly stating that they'd rather trade than pay him a cent more.

Why? Why would they rather trade him than simply bide time in hopes of retaining him?

Maybe he's not as good as you think he is?