PDA

View Full Version : Misc Car audio help

cosmo20002
04-29-2015, 09:24 PM
So I recently bought a new car but the factory audio is mediocre, at least to me. It sounds pretty good for factory audio, I guess, but I'd like a bit more "oomph," a bit more bass. Volume isn't the issue. Sound is decent at high volume, I just want something richer and deeper.

I'd also like to not replace the factory radio/CD player.
And I'd also like to not have a giant subwoofer box enclosure that takes up half the trunk.
I'm not looking to pimp my ride or shake the neighborhood windows, I just want to boost things a bit.

Can this be done with keeping the factory radio? Is there some package kit I can get at Best Buy or somewhere and have them install it? I don't mind something in the trunk, but don't want a big enclosure for 2 15in subs.

So, can this be done--and how?
Current system has 4 speakers and says 160 watts stereo output.

SAUTO
04-29-2015, 09:36 PM
What are you driving?

notorious
04-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Image Dynamics ID8 in small sealed enclosure
Small Class-D amp with high-level inputs and built-in low pass crossover

Cheap, sounds great, and will give you plenty of low-end.

TribalElder
04-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Antifreeze war drum go boom boom boompow

TribalElder
04-29-2015, 09:42 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com

Reerun_KC
04-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Www.onlinecarstereo.com

Www.sonicelectronics.com

stevieray
04-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Get a four channel amp with buikt in crossovers....buy mbqart speakers.

Reerun_KC
04-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Get a four channel amp with buikt in crossovers....buy mbqart speakers.

Focal speakers are where its at if you have the cash to blow.

cosmo20002
04-29-2015, 09:55 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com

Www.onlinecarstereo.com

Www.sonicelectronics.com

Yeah...but I have no idea what will do what I want and do it without replacing the factory receiver/CD.

cosmo20002
04-29-2015, 09:56 PM
What are you driving?

Honda Accord Sport

stevieray
04-29-2015, 09:57 PM
Focal speakers are where its at if you have the cash to blow.

Lots of great spkrs out there my eclipse 150 watt coaxials still sound pretty good.. i have jbl tweeters parired mk mid bass...and two 10s enclosed

Reerun_KC
04-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Yeah...but I have no idea what will do what I want and do it without replacing the factory receiver/CD.

Then head down to a local audio shop and have them help you.

Those are DYI sites.

notorious
04-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Any solution that adds more bass will include having to run a 12 volt power cable (probably 8 gauge) from the battery to the trunk.

Running power cable is the biggest pain the ass when it comes to any basic installation.

Seriously, if you want to keep it REAL simple, buy a JL Audio stealthbox for your car, get a JBL Class-D amp and you should be set.

I used to do custom installs, so I would glass an enclosure that fit into a nook your trunk with a simple ID8, but a local shop would probably rape you in labor for a box like that.

Reerun_KC
04-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Only installs I do now days are my own.

cosmo20002
04-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Image Dynamics ID8 in small sealed enclosure
Small Class-D amp with high-level inputs and built-in low pass crossover

Cheap, sounds great, and will give you plenty of low-end.

Unless I can go into a store and say, "Install that" I'll have no idea what I'm doing. Unlike most topics, I know shit about this stuff.;)

SAUTO
04-29-2015, 10:06 PM
Any solution that adds more bass will include having to run a 12 volt power cable (probably 8 gauge) from the battery to the trunk.

Running power cable is the biggest pain the ass when it comes to any basic installation.

Seriously, if you want to keep it REAL simple, buy a JL Audio stealthbox for your car, get a JBL Class-D amp and you should be set.

I used to do custom installs, so I would glass an enclosure that fit into a nook your trunk with a simple ID8, but a local shop would probably rape you in labor for a box like that.

Listen to this guy. He is on it

notorious
04-29-2015, 10:06 PM
Only installs I do now days are my own.

I don't even have time for that anymore.

I sold off all my old Phoenix Gold ZX, Zeropoint, and M series amps. :(

Kept my Clarion DRX9275, though. Bar-none the best head unit I have ever heard.

SAUTO
04-29-2015, 10:07 PM
I'm gonna need some wood floor soon. Are you mobile?

I have a great crappie spot and money....

notorious
04-29-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm gonna need some wood floor soon. Are you mobile?

I have a great crappie spot and money....

:hmmm:

stevieray
04-29-2015, 10:10 PM
I don't even have time for that anymore.

I sold off all my old Phoenix Gold ZX, Zeropoint, and M series amps. :(

Kept my Clarion DRX9275, though. Bar-none the best head unit I have ever heard.

I have one ! Lovelovelove that head unit

:rockon:

MIAdragon
04-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Jbl MS8

notorious
04-29-2015, 10:24 PM
I have one ! Lovelovelove that head unit

:rockon:

Whoops, I meant to say DRX9255. Didn't look like much, but it sounded amazing.

http://images.modifikasi.com/2015/02/14/183897_1423865189.jpg

I had a 9275 before that, though. I was so excited that I could program the names of CDs into it!

notorious
04-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Jbl MS8

Is that the processor like JL's Cleansweep?

SAUTO
04-29-2015, 10:26 PM
:hmmm:

No villager. Ask tribalelder he know exactly what I'm talking about

notorious
04-29-2015, 10:27 PM
No villager. Ask tribalelder he know exactly what I'm talking about

"Villager" LMAO

cosmo20002
04-29-2015, 10:31 PM

Their website doesn't show one made for the Accord Sport, or any even Accord.
Looks like there's a couple of JBL dealers in Overland Park. I'll probably stop by. Thanks--

notorious
04-29-2015, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I just checked and there isn't one for your car (shocking, considering it's an Accord).

If you knew someone that could do a basic install, you could budget an excellent 8" sub and amp with install for 5-$600 max.

A shop will probably take you for 1k for the equivalent.

Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions.

stevieray
04-29-2015, 10:36 PM
Whoops, I meant to say DRX9255. Didn't look like much, but it sounded amazing.

http://images.modifikasi.com/2015/02/14/183897_1423865189.jpg

I had a 9275 before that, though. I was so excited that I could program the names of CDs into it!

Big fan of clarion...

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I just checked and there isn't one for your car (shocking, considering it's an Accord).

Are aftermarket car stereos still a high target of theft? I haven't had an aftermarket stereo since 1999 but every one I ever had installed was stolen.

One model was stolen in my own parking garage.

stevieray
04-29-2015, 10:38 PM

If you knew someone that could do a basic install, you could budget an excellent 8" sub and amp with install for 5-$600 max.

A shop will probably take you for 1k for the equivalent.

Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions.
Ya an accord doesnt need more than a solid 8

notorious
04-29-2015, 10:44 PM
Are aftermarket car stereos still a high target of theft? I haven't had an aftermarket stereo since 1999 but every one I ever had installed was stolen.

One model was stolen in my own parking garage.

Probably.

I haven't messed with this stuff for about 10 years. Factory head units are pretty good now days and directly integrated into the car system so it doesn't make sense to replace them.

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 10:50 PM
I haven't messed with this stuff for about 10 years. Factory head units are pretty good now days and directly integrated into the car system so it doesn't make sense to replace them.

That's been my experience for the past 12 years or so as well. But back in the day, there was no alternative. I can't even count how many times I had windows broken, just to steal some $149 head unit. I even had just the detachable heads stolen!

Whew, I'm glad those days are over.

SAUTO
04-29-2015, 10:53 PM
"Villager" LMAO

Yeah I changed it three times and auto correct kicked my ass for the third time in my life lol.

Bit I'm still behind my pops. He's never been whooped. He's whooped me there times lol

SAUTO
04-29-2015, 10:54 PM
That's been my experience for the past 12 years or so as well. But back in the day, there was no alternative. I can't even count how many times I had windows broken, just to steal some $149 head unit. I even had just the detachable heads stolen!

One of these days me and funny are gonna show up on your doorstep and I hope you answer the door

notorious
04-29-2015, 10:56 PM

I don't miss worrying about my system, either. I had mine stolen twice along with my entire vehicle stolen once.

I DO miss listening to Alice In Chains MTV Unplugged through audio perfection, though. The factory Blows system doesn't come close.

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 11:25 PM
I don't miss worrying about my system, either. I had mine stolen twice along with my entire vehicle stolen once.

I DO miss listening to Alice In Chains MTV Unplugged through audio perfection, though. The factory Blows system doesn't come close.

I had a great eleven speaker Bose system in the Mercedes ML350 I had from 2004-2008. It was by far the best stock audio I've ever heard in my life. It just freaking rocked.

I have a 2014 Edge with the Sony system and while it's not nearly as good as the Mercedes, it's on par with my previous vehicle, a 2008 Lexus RX350, which was just disappointing all the way around. I was actually thrilled to go from the Lexus to a 2011 Ford Edge Ltd. The Ford, IMO, was the superior vehicle.

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2015, 11:25 PM
One of these days me and funny are gonna show up on your doorstep and I hope you answer the door

Buzz my gate, I'll ring you up! :)

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Should have ordered a better stereo in it.

A friend bought a 2014 Malibu a little over a yr ago. He ordered it loaded. Came with a 6-speaker Pioneer system. The front door speakers sound and feel like woofers.

Al Bundy
04-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Should have ordered a better stereo in it.

A friend bought a 2014 Malibu a little over a yr ago. He ordered it loaded. Came with a 6-speaker Pioneer system. The front door speakers sound and feel like woofers.

I have that exact same system in my 2014 Malibu as well. It does sound great.

Predarat
04-30-2015, 08:37 AM
Pioneer > AllElse

srvy
04-30-2015, 08:49 AM
You goinging to get raped in the install if ya cant DIY so might as well up the budget a bit and get what your happy with. If you dont want go Focal or Morel pricy then many people like infinity as a affordable option.

Donger
04-30-2015, 08:52 AM
I'm considering replacing the factory unit in my car with something that has Bluetooth. I honestly don't know if it's technically feasible. My daughter was riding with me a few days ago and pointed to the stereo. She asked, "Dad, what is that thing?" I said, "It's a stereo." She replied, "No, that hole beneath the LCD." Me: "Oh. That's a tape deck."

Silence and then, "WTH is a tape deck?"

LMAO

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm considering replacing the factory unit in my car with something that has Bluetooth. I honestly don't know if it's technically feasible. My daughter was riding with me a few days ago and pointed to the stereo. She asked, "Dad, what is that thing?" I said, "It's a stereo." She replied, "No, that hole beneath the LCD." Me: "Oh. That's a tape deck."

Silence and then, "WTH is a tape deck?"

LMAOLOL

I have one of them thar tape decks in my 2003 Malibu. It's a combination CD/Tape.

What yr/make/model is it?

Donger
04-30-2015, 10:08 AM
LOL

I have one of them thar tape decks in my 2003 Malibu. It's a combination CD/Tape.

What yr/make/model is it?

2002 VW GTI

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2015, 10:14 AM
2002 VW GTITry them.

http://www.crutchfield.com/carsystems/Volkswagen-Gti-Stereos-and-Speakers.html

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Notorious - I am upgrading the audio system in my 09 Ram 2500 HD 4x4....

So this is what I am going with (I think)

Alpine CDE HD149BT with Sirius and remote (already purchased and enroute for delivery)

Focal 165 AS3 6.5/3/1 component for the front doors, dash and A pillar

Morel or Focal 5.25 2 ways for the back doors

a pair of Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-12 shallow mount subs under the back seat.
sub box purchased and delivered.

Now the problem I am stuck on is the Amps...

I cant decide between the Audison or JL Audio's V3's.

I have been looking at the Audison AV5.1K vs the JL Audio 600/1v3 or 1200/1v3 and the 300/4v3.

Having that class A on the front components is extremely important with the Focals 165 AS3's. The back doors are mainly for fill and Class a/b on those isn't that much of an issue. Monoblock class D bridged to 2 ohm on the back will be just fine.

So wanted to know what you thought and get your feedback. I am looking for over all quality, imaging and clarity vs just annoying loud... Those annoying loud days are for the younger group. I want this system very clean sounding... It will be super loud in its own right...

ThaVirus
05-27-2015, 11:40 AM
"The boy JD was a friend of mine, til I caught him in my car tryna steal my Alpine"

Anytime I hear about Alpine stereos I think about the good ol 90's west coast gangster days.

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 11:43 AM
"The boy JD was a friend of mine, til I caught him in my car tryna steal my Alpine"

Anytime I hear about Alpine stereos I think about the good ol 90's west coast gangster days.

LOL

Yeah brings back memories of the day...

Donger
05-27-2015, 11:45 AM
I gave up and got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Roadster-Universal-Bluetooth-Speakerphone/dp/B007AQF0WK

It's moderately terrible. LMAO

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 11:56 AM
I gave up and got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Roadster-Universal-Bluetooth-Speakerphone/dp/B007AQF0WK

It's moderately terrible. LMAO

Dear lord.

Donger
05-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Dear lord.

I know. I just looked into swapping out the factory stereo and kind of glazed over. It works really well for calls going through the FM transceiver to the factory radio, but streaming music is, well, pretty nominal.

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 12:01 PM
I know. I just looked into swapping out the factory stereo and kind of glazed over. It works really well for calls going through the FM transceiver to the factory radio, but streaming music is, well, pretty nominal.

gotcha... see why people would use it.

ndws
05-27-2015, 02:56 PM

Alpine CDE HD149BT with Sirius and remote (already purchased and enroute for delivery)

I have been looking at the Audison AV5.1K vs the JL Audio 600/1v3 or 1200/1v3 and the 300/4v3.

Having that class A on the front components is extremely important with the Focals 165 AS3's. The back doors are mainly for fill and Class a/b on those isn't that much of an issue. Monoblock class D bridged to 2 ohm on the back will be just fine.

So wanted to know what you thought and get your feedback. I am looking for over all quality, imaging and clarity vs just annoying loud... Those annoying loud days are for the younger group. I want this system very clean sounding... It will be super loud in its own right...

You can get clarity without breaking the bank. Just put more emphasis on installation vs specific name brands. For an installation like you are talking, with definite off-axis requirements (if you are mounting them in the doors), the Focals may or may not be it. I had a pair of 165w comps in kick panels from an old A600 (and later an ax606.2) and when setting them, you could really change the output based on alignment. You may find more forgiving speakers for less money. I haven't heard Utopias or JM Lab stuff for quite a while, and yeah, its nice stuff and I'm sure it still is. But at the end of the day, if you aren't totally wrecking the interior of your vehicle to compensate for cabin gain and other nuances, you can get comparable results by spending a lot less money.

notorious
05-27-2015, 04:16 PM

If you are going for 100% SQ (with some bump) ditch the 12's and mount an 8 in a small center console as far forward as possible. Use the Audison to go active on the front highs and mids. That way you can dial in the perfect crossover freq. to get a little higher stage up front. No rear speakers needed, they will just screw things up.

Since you are in a pickup and you are already ****ed when it comes to perfection, I would keep it simple and go with the same components all around with the Audison. Having everything in the same chassis keeps you from having to install a dist. block, and force another power cable into an already tight situation. Setting up the crossover will be a little simpler, too.

You won't hear a difference between the JL and Audison, but the Audison will save you real-estate and headaches when tuning. Beside, you don't want to be like everyone else, do you? :D

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 04:42 PM
If you are going for 100% SQ (with some bump) ditch the 12's and mount an 8 in a small center console as far forward as possible. Use the Audison to go active on the front highs and mids. That way you can dial in the perfect crossover freq. to get a little higher stage up front. No rear speakers needed, they will just screw things up.

Since you are in a pickup and you are already ****ed when it comes to perfection, I would keep it simple and go with the same components all around with the Audison. Having everything in the same chassis keeps you from having to install a dist. block, and force another power cable into an already tight situation. Setting up the crossover will be a little simpler, too.

You won't hear a difference between the JL and Audison, but the Audison will save you real-estate and headaches when tuning. Beside, you don't want to be like everyone else, do you? :D

Okay this is a crew cab truck, I have bench seats, there isn't anyway to go anything in the center console on any of this so I will probably just stay with the 12's in the back under the back seat. I already have the box and already ordered the fosgates.... :harumph:

In the Dodge Ram it has 3 1/2 inch speakers in the dash, 6x9's in the doors and 5 1/4 in the back doors. With the focal setup I am going to ditch the 6x9's and replace them with the 6.5 woofers. Will have to fab new mounting brackets, but that is no big deal. New 3 1/2's in the dash and then the 1" tweeter either in the A pillar or in the door panel up by the mirror assy. I wont be "hacking" the truck up. When I install a stereo its very very professional and actually better than most audio shops. I do it right and take the time to do it right... Like pulling the door plugs and running new wires through the original wiring brackets... I make sure its legit when it do it.

So you are saying I really don't need the back 5 1/4 in the back doors?

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 04:43 PM
You can get clarity without breaking the bank. Just put more emphasis on installation vs specific name brands. For an installation like you are talking, with definite off-axis requirements (if you are mounting them in the doors), the Focals may or may not be it. I had a pair of 165w comps in kick panels from an old A600 (and later an ax606.2) and when setting them, you could really change the output based on alignment. You may find more forgiving speakers for less money. I haven't heard Utopias or JM Lab stuff for quite a while, and yeah, its nice stuff and I'm sure it still is. But at the end of the day, if you aren't totally wrecking the interior of your vehicle to compensate for cabin gain and other nuances, you can get comparable results by spending a lot less money.

I have been researching these amps and speakers for several months.. been doing side by side comparisons and the entry level focals just smash most name brands out there.

Plus its time that I spend a little more for what I want then to just settle for something... IF that makes sense.

notorious
05-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Okay this is a crew cab truck, I have bench seats, there isn't anyway to go anything in the center console on any of this so I will probably just stay with the 12's in the back under the back seat. I already have the box and already ordered the fosgates.... :harumph:

In the Dodge Ram it has 3 1/2 inch speakers in the dash, 6x9's in the doors and 5 1/4 in the back doors. With the focal setup I am going to ditch the 6x9's and replace them with the 6.5 woofers. Will have to fab new mounting brackets, but that is no big deal. New 3 1/2's in the dash and then the 1" tweeter either in the A pillar or in the door panel up by the mirror assy. I wont be "hacking" the truck up. When I install a stereo its very very professional and actually better than most audio shops. I do it right and take the time to do it right... Like pulling the door plugs and running new wires through the original wiring brackets... I make sure its legit when it do it.

So you are saying I really don't need the back 5 1/4 in the back doors?

I would probably just leave the rear factory speakers and use the built in amp in the Alpine (if it has one, I haven't checked) for "rear fill". Give them just enough power (front/rear fade) to add a little ambiance. Rear speakers never help with the SQ, they just make things louder (unless you have processing out the ass).

notorious
05-27-2015, 05:57 PM
BTW, Focals are nice. The mids have a nice "Airy" sound, and their tweeters can sing.

I installed a set of Utopias ran by a single ZX-450v2 and a Image Dynamics 10" IDQ subwoofer with Nakamichi HU in a MR-2. It sounded sweeeeeeet when I calmed down the tweets.

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 07:16 PM
I would probably just leave the rear factory speakers and use the built in amp in the Alpine (if it has one, I haven't checked) for "rear fill". Give them just enough power (front/rear fade) to add a little ambiance. Rear speakers never help with the SQ, they just make things louder (unless you have processing out the ass).

Actually the audison amp is a 5 channel. 75 x 2 pure class a on front. 140 x 2 class a/b on rear and 960x 1 on sub its a 4/2 ohm amp.

I won't keep anything factory and will run all new wiring.

But this audison is just sick. Its specs are insane.

notorious
05-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Actually the audison amp is a 5 channel. 75 x 2 pure class a on front. 140 x 2 class a/b on rear and 960x 1 on sub its a 4/2 ohm amp.

I won't keep anything factory and will run all new wiring.

But this audison is just sick. Its specs are insane.

They have always made very nice stuff.

A Class A is going to draw a shitload of current, so you might need to run garden hose-sized power cable. ;)

Don't use the factory ground/supply cable on the alternator and battery. Take the time to run new, proper gauge wiring so that the amp gets all the juice it needs. No need for a cap if everything is healthy under the hood.

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 07:37 PM
They have always made very nice stuff.

A Class A is going to draw a shitload of current, so you might need to run garden hose-sized power cable. ;)

Planning on 4 gauge and probably 14 or 12 for the speakers. Not gonna mess around this time.

BTW I have an mtx amp I bought in 92. 125 RMS x 2. That dang thing is still banging 12s in my sons truck. Its been used for the better part of 23 years. Its starting to show its ag . But has never shut down and still will shake a car. Impressive old amp.

notorious
05-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Ugh, jamming 12 gauge through a door sucks ass. I don't think you will gain anything except anger from it.

The amps will practically be sitting on the subs, so 12 should suffice.

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Gotcha. Stick with 12 on the sub's and 14 on the components/doors/etc.

notorious
05-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Gotcha. Stick with 12 on the sub's and 14 on the components/doors/etc.

You are starting to make me miss the old days.

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 08:11 PM
You are starting to make me miss the old days.

Yeah. Not sure why I am doing this system this elaborate. This is probably my last one but I love the sound of a good audio system. I am overkilling it. But what the hell. Daddy is only 42 and I still like to drop the windows and hammer some tunes. I haven't built me a system in 15 years. Built my daughter and son one. Its my turn

eDave
05-27-2015, 08:12 PM
Yeah. Not sure why I am doing this system this elaborate. This is probably my last one but I love the sound of a good audio system. I am overkilling it. But what the hell. Daddy is only 42 and I still like to drop the windows and hammer some tunes. I haven't built me a system in 15 years. Built my daughter and son one. Its my turn

It's nice to do stuff when you can afford what you really want. Good on you.

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 08:18 PM
It's nice to do stuff when you can afford what you really want. Good on you.

Wife isn't happyat the price tag. I am ordering a lot of it from Italy. Even with shipping I am saving several hundred over ordering from people in the States.

notorious
05-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Yeah. Daddy is only 42 and I still like to drop the windows and hammer some tunes

Sir Mix-a-lot SWASS with a little Cinderella mixed in?

Reerun_KC
05-27-2015, 08:50 PM
:LOL:Sir Mix-a-lot SWASS with a little Cinderella mixed in?
Then some monkey business by skid row followed up with some old skool kieth sweat. ROFL. Those where the days.

ndws
05-28-2015, 08:02 AM
I have been researching these amps and speakers for several months.. been doing side by side comparisons and the entry level focals just smash most name brands out there.

Plus its time that I spend a little more for what I want then to just settle for something... IF that makes sense.

Nope, makes total sense. I did a big blowout install the last time I did one and I get it. New alt, 1/0 to the back, picked personal favorite old school amps (PPI art and US VLX) that were in the best condition I could find, Utopia 2way fronts...the whole nine yards. And I loved it until I heard a buddy's car who was using a simple A-pilar tweeter, midrange dome in the factory opening, and good free air 8's in the doors. I had spent a TON of time aligning my kick panels, etc and had "superior" equipment. Aside from a high end system with ID horns, that was the widest and deepest soundstage I had ever heard and it was like he damn near slopped it all in with little to no actual thought about alignment, phase, or anything else. But, then I started looking at more domes, and he definitely had something figured out. I want to say they were scanspeak domes, but it was long enough ago that I don't remember, but that sounds right.

I won't disagree that the polykevs (or whatever they are called now) are really really nice. all I was saying is that you can save money by getting the same response from lower priced gear because vehicles really mask a lot of what makes a high end speaker high end, without tons and tons of work to the interior of the vehicle...but then again, if you put that same amount of install effort into your focals, it should be damn nice.

Either way, it should be fun when you get it finished. Maybe do a little more time on subs though. I liked the old pre-crutchfield Rockford a lot, but unless they've retooled and stepped away from their audiobahn approach, you can get a much flatter, and better response from a battery of good 8s (in less space) than those 2 flat 12s.

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Nope, makes total sense. I did a big blowout install the last time I did one and I get it. New alt, 1/0 to the back, picked personal favorite old school amps (PPI art and US VLX) that were in the best condition I could find, Utopia 2way fronts...the whole nine yards. And I loved it until I heard a buddy's car who was using a simple A-pilar tweeter, midrange dome in the factory opening, and good free air 8's in the doors. I had spent a TON of time aligning my kick panels, etc and had "superior" equipment. Aside from a high end system with ID horns, that was the widest and deepest soundstage I had ever heard and it was like he damn near slopped it all in with little to no actual thought about alignment, phase, or anything else. But, then I started looking at more domes, and he definitely had something figured out. I want to say they were scanspeak domes, but it was long enough ago that I don't remember, but that sounds right.

I won't disagree that the polykevs (or whatever they are called now) are really really nice. all I was saying is that you can save money by getting the same response from lower priced gear because vehicles really mask a lot of what makes a high end speaker high end, without tons and tons of work to the interior of the vehicle...but then again, if you put that same amount of install effort into your focals, it should be damn nice.

Either way, it should be fun when you get it finished. Maybe do a little more time on subs though. I liked the old pre-crutchfield Rockford a lot, but unless they've retooled and stepped away from their audiobahn approach, you can get a much flatter, and better response from a battery of good 8s (in less space) than those 2 flat 12s.

Interesting take on the 8's. I am hearing more and more people talk about the 8's vs others..

What is it about the 8's that people like?

BigMeatballDave
05-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Daddy is only 42 and I still like to drop the windows and hammer some tunes. I haven't built me a system in 15 years. Built my daughter and son one. Its my turn

Hellz yeah! Can't get enough of that Climax Blues Band and Ambrosia!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FRVSSwJYqh0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ndws
05-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Interesting take on the 8's. I am hearing more and more people talk about the 8's vs others..

What is it about the 8's that people like?

For me anyway, musically speaking they are always going to be tighter and play a little higher so its easier to avoid frequency gaps (unless you are doing a power dump to your subs and only need them to move air).

And, like anything else, if you do it right, they can play low and flat. At the end of the day though, its still about pushing air and surface area is a big deal, but good 8s can sound very very good. Heck, I remember back in the day there was a company that designed a solid little 6.5" sub and their demo car had like 30-some of them in it. It was supposedly very impressive. In any case, I bought a pair of those for front stage midbass in kickpanels, but the magnets were so big they made it tough to mount, let alone in a tight space. I think I still have those laying around somewhere, I never used them actually. I may have to find them and tinker. This kind of has me wanting to do something again. lol

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 10:03 AM
For me anyway, musically speaking they are always going to be tighter and play a little higher so its easier to avoid frequency gaps (unless you are doing a power dump to your subs and only need them to move air).

And, like anything else, if you do it right, they can play low and flat. At the end of the day though, its still about pushing air and surface area is a big deal, but good 8s can sound very very good. Heck, I remember back in the day there was a company that designed a solid little 6.5" sub and their demo car had like 30-some of them in it. It was supposedly very impressive. In any case, I bought a pair of those for front stage midbass in kickpanels, but the magnets were so big they made it tough to mount, let alone in a tight space. I think I still have those laying around somewhere, I never used them actually. I may have to find them and tinker. This kind of has me wanting to do something again. lolYeah my best friend kinda got me fired up with the car audio again... I was just content with a stock 4 speaker suck system...

Now I am looking and purchasing all kinds of shit for my truck... I am kinda stoked for this actually. Its been a long long time since I enjoyed my audio system.

ndws
05-28-2015, 10:08 AM
Yeah my best friend kinda got me fired up with the car audio again... I was just content with a stock 4 speaker suck system...

Now I am looking and purchasing all kinds of shit for my truck... I am kinda stoked for this actually. Its been a long long time since I enjoyed my audio system.

I kept one of my subs from the big install. And I still have a few things here and there. Maybe after some of the remodel projects the wife has me on this summer, I'll throw something in my old car. The bug never goes away.

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Once I get started I will post a lot of pictures on here and keep everyone updated...

ptlyon
05-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Once I get started I will post a lot of pictures on here and keep everyone updated...

Just play some Skynard dude

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 10:37 AM
Just play some Skynard dude

No Dude.

Reerun_KC
07-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Notorious. Just ordered these for my truck today.

Fronts

http://www.focal.com/usa/en/expert/438-ps-165-f3-3544051750141.html

Rears

http://www.focal.com/usa/en/expert/435-ps-130-f-3544050750142.html

KC native
07-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Notorious. Just ordered these for my truck today.

Fronts

http://www.focal.com/usa/en/expert/438-ps-165-f3-3544051750141.html

Rears

http://www.focal.com/usa/en/expert/435-ps-130-f-3544050750142.html

You bought the wrong ones.

Reerun_KC
07-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Returned from a 2 week vacation touring the great state of Alaska and guess what was waiting for me?

Oh yeah. New focals. It's starting to get real.

Reerun_KC
08-24-2015, 08:05 AM
So I recently bought a new car but the factory audio is mediocre, at least to me. It sounds pretty good for factory audio, I guess, but I'd like a bit more "oomph," a bit more bass. Volume isn't the issue. Sound is decent at high volume, I just want something richer and deeper.

I'd also like to not replace the factory radio/CD player.
And I'd also like to not have a giant subwoofer box enclosure that takes up half the trunk.
I'm not looking to pimp my ride or shake the neighborhood windows, I just want to boost things a bit.

Can this be done with keeping the factory radio? Is there some package kit I can get at Best Buy or somewhere and have them install it? I don't mind something in the trunk, but don't want a big enclosure for 2 15in subs.

So, can this be done--and how?
Current system has 4 speakers and says 160 watts stereo output.

Have you done anything to your factory system yet? I have been upgrading mine, but have found that you can retain your factory head unit and still get amazing sound out of your system.

Digital Signal Processors - these little jewels I am finding out are the shit. I am putting one in my truck and going full active with them..

You can take these and tap into your factory system and install just about anything behind them while producing amazing imaging, staging and headroom for your system.. You can set an infinite amount of tunings and time alignments with these devices all from your PC.

Companies that sell DSP's - Alpine, Helix (the one I have on the way), Arc Audio, Audison, Mosconni, MiniDSP.

Might be too late, but thought I would throw this out there.

cosmo20002
08-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Have you done anything to your factory system yet? I have been upgrading mine, but have found that you can retain your factory head unit and still get amazing sound out of your system.

Digital Signal Processors - these little jewels I am finding out are the shit. I am putting one in my truck and going full active with them..

You can take these and tap into your factory system and install just about anything behind them while producing amazing imaging, staging and headroom for your system.. You can set an infinite amount of tunings and time alignments with these devices all from your PC.

Companies that sell DSP's - Alpine, Helix (the one I have on the way), Arc Audio, Audison, Mosconni, MiniDSP.

Might be too late, but thought I would throw this out there.

I haven't done anything yet. I start looking into it, get a headache, then put it off. I'll check into this, thanks.
I probably just need to roll into some shop that knows what they are doing, tell them what I'm looking for, and try not to get ripped off when they try to sell me stuff I don't really need or want.

Reerun_KC
08-24-2015, 09:34 AM
I haven't done anything yet. I start looking into it, get a headache, then put it off. I'll check into this, thanks.
I probably just need to roll into some shop that knows what they are doing, tell them what I'm looking for, and try not to get ripped off when they try to sell me stuff I don't really need or want.

Let me send you my # and we can talk... I don't trust shops anymore. We can come up with something that will make you happy and not eat your wallet up.