PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft My Humble Chiefs 2015 Draft Thoughts

Sully
05-04-2015, 08:41 AM
I guess the most basic thing to ask is, Did we upgrade?" While i don't think that answer has been clear in the previous two drafts, I do believe in this draft we definitively improved at several positions, and set ourselves up for some great play over the next few seasons.

Round 1- Peters- This pick worries me. Getting kicked off a team is a huge deal, especially when you are as talented as this guy. The coaches must've felt that they had to send a message, and that his behavior was bad enough to lose his stellar play. The question that can't be answered for a while is, 'Was it a wake-up call?" I hope so. But is it an upgrade? Absolutely. Peters may be, within a season, the best CB on the roster.

Round 2- Morse- Yeah... Lot's of teeth gnashing and ripping of clothes over this one. Yes, it was a reach (kind of). Yes, it's not at a position that's sexy. But, again, was it an upgrade? Without question. The Chiefs' line needs improvement. We are staring down the barrel of starting a center who was a late round pick, and who didn't see the field last year. Could he be great? Absolutely. (And I don't think the Morse pick is as much of an indictment on Kush as others). I think that the pick was the confluence of a few things. The Chiefs obviously like Morse. Given. But they wanted someone who could play Center if Kush sucks, but also play another position at a high level if Kush won the job, as well. Once they chose Peters over Ervin, this was pretty much the pick they needed to make. I also think Morse is pretty good. So regardless of where he plays, it's an upgrade (we were that bad).

Round 3- Conley- OK, I wanted this kid. For the first time in my life, I yelled and got excited about a damn 3rd round pick. It's ridiculous. But I love Conley. I think he is perfect for what we do (with a few tweaks), and will be one of the top 2 or 3 receivers from this draft as we look back on it. Am I delusional? Abso-fucking-lutely. Never make a statement like that about a 3rd round pick three days after the draft... idiot. However, I love this guys brain, his passion, and his fucking speed. Is he an upgrade over Bowe? You bet your ass he is. He's going to open up our offense to allow us to do more things. Let me rant for a minute. Over the past few years, Bowe did a few things, but really what he was "best" at was catching a quick slant in tight coverage. Balls snapped, quick slant, 4-6 yards. Extended handoff as they say. But the thing is, why was the coverage always that tight? because Bowe was fucking slow. He's not going to beat anyone off the line. Even if he gets to a CB's back hip, there's plenty of time for the back to recover. I'd like to see the Chiefs runa few of these slants to Conley. Let's see him turn one into a 20-30 yard gain, because he beat his man and the safety had to come up. Let's see them slant-go his ass, and burn someone for 60. I think he'll work out just fine. (Again, i admit I'm delusional.)

Round 3- Nelson- In the "is this an upgrade" question, I'm not sure. Is this guy better than Gaines? Is he better than Cooper? I don't know. I actually like those two guys, so I don't know.

Round 4- Wilson- The problem highlighted in the online scouting reports is the same problem I have when I watch the (admittedly limited) vids on youtube. He seems to stick to blocks. I love the speed, but unless he learns to scrape and find run throughs a little better, he's gonna have a tough time. I talked to a buddy of mine who graduated from UGA, and who is die hard, and he loves Wilson, but admitted, he isn't gong to play much behind the line of scrimmage. That said, do you all remember that up until Haley got here, DJ was thought of as sort of a bust? The biggest thing he learned that turned him from average to great, was how to shoot through windows. previously, DJ would run around trash to get to the PoA, and that would take away his angle, and give up yards. Suddenly, it was striking how he could shoot through an open window, and use his speed and athleticism to cut off a runner's angle. If Wilson can be taught that, he could be a beat. it's a simple tech, he just has to be open to the coaching.

However,

Round 5- Alexander- Seems to do a better job of finding those windows and using his speed. He should also be amazing on Special teams. Overall, the two ILBs will be an upgrade above a slow Mauga, and possibly hobbled DJ. It just may not be as immediate as above players.

ROund 5- O'Shaughnessy- I've watched one YouTube, and read one report, but I'm sold. For a #2 backup, he's more athletic and/or accomplished than anyone else we have, and even Fasano. Can he block? Apparently.

Round 6- Nunez-Rochez- Not impressed. Seems to have good burst through gaps, so maybe a passing sub, but I don't know that he'll be much more than that. If he's used to spell Poe, it's an upgrade. If not... meh.

Round 7- DaRon Brown- Can he cover kicks? That's all that matters.

I'm very happy with this draft. I think we upgraded a ton at several positions. I'm excited to see these guys moving forward, as I think we have got a great core to help the team now, and build around in the future.

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 08:45 AM
LOL

You don't like the CB pick but gush over a panic reach in the 2nd round...

Yeah stopped reading there...

Sully
05-04-2015, 08:47 AM
LOL

I didn't say i didn't like it (although initially I didn't), I said it worries me. It should worry anyone.

That said, I don't think Morse was a "panic" pick. I think he was a good player that fit a need that the Chiefs didn't think would be around for their next pick.

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 08:53 AM
I didn't say i didn't like it (although initially I didn't), I said it worries me. It should worry anyone.

That said, I don't think Morse was a "panic" pick. I think he was a good player that fit a need that the Chiefs didn't think would be around for their next pick.

It doesn't worry me. This team needs a ****ing attitude... Period.... Its a soft ****ing team full of soft ****ing players. Our LT should be mean and nasty and ours is a duffle bag full of chewed bubble gum.

Morse would of been there, many here have said he was projected to be a 4th or 5th round pick.

buddha
05-04-2015, 08:56 AM
I can't wait for Morse to turn into a 10 year starter just to stick it down Reerun's throat.

Sully's assessments are really good, IMO. Or maybe I think they're good because I agree with them. Either way, great post. :)

L.A. Chieffan
05-04-2015, 09:03 AM
Why was it a "panic pick"? You're telling me all they cared about was Perryman and had absolutely no other options and were taken completely by surprise in the 2nd freaking round? Gimme a break.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-04-2015, 09:07 AM
LOL

"Panic reach" CPbullshit hyperbole at it's finest. DRAFT A BEAKER!!!

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 09:09 AM
"Panic reach" CPbullshit hyperbole at it's finest. DRAFT A BEAKER!!!

Fuck drafting shitty Kansas players... What the fuck kind of moron are you anyway?

Please post where I said draft a Kansas player... I aint fucking as stupid as you portray yourself here....

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 09:10 AM
I can't wait for Morse to turn into a 10 year starter just to stick it down Reerun's throat.

Sully's assessments are really good, IMO. Or maybe I think they're good because I agree with them. Either way, great post. :)

Never said don't draft the guy... There was no need to reach for him in round 2.

Learn to read.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Fuck drafting shitty Kansas players... What the fuck kind of moron are you anyway?

Please post where I said draft a Kansas player... I aint fucking as stupid as you portray yourself here....

So you came to your conclusion by either A. Watching hours of YouTube highlights or B. Stealing a thought from someone who watched hours of Youtube highlights. How do you know it was a reach?

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 09:12 AM
So you came to your conclusion by either A. Watching YouTube highlights or B. Stealing a thought from someone who watched Youtube highlights.

I don't have access to the game tape like you do...

So what Kansas player would you of drafted in the 2nd round? I am dying to hear this response...

Pasta Little Brioni
05-04-2015, 09:13 AM
So you have no basis on why he's a "panic reach" just as I thought.

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 09:15 AM

I have plenty, you just chose to deflect and ignore. Nothing new here...

Dark Horse
05-04-2015, 09:16 AM
It doesn't worry me. This team needs a ****ing attitude... Period.... Its a soft ****ing team full of soft ****ing players. Our LT should be mean and nasty and ours is a duffle bag full of chewed bubble gum.

Morse would of been there, many here have said he was projected to be a 4th or 5th round pick.

Just stop with the "he would of been a 4th or 5th" talk. Do you know what determines a players draft position? At least one team has to think he's worth the pick. One did.
Whether he was a good pick or not remains to be seen but this one thing I guarantee, no one on this site knows enough about evaluating talent to know the answer to that. Hell even the Nfl teams can't tell you that for sure.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Alright, so I expect a nice break down of strengths/weaknesses (not copy pasted) and a list of players you personally evaluated as worthy of selection and why.

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Just stop with the "he would of been a 4th or 5th" talk. Do you know what determines a players draft position? At least one team has to think he's worth the pick. One did.
Whether he was a good pick or not remains to be seen but this one thing I guarantee, no one on this site knows enough about evaluating talent to know the answer to that. Hell even the Nfl teams can't tell you that for sure.

Call Bullshit...

This guy knows. And he is willing to prove to you and I that he does know.

Proof is in the post...

Alright, so I expect a nice break down of strengths/weaknesses (not copy pasted) and a list of players you personally evaluated as worthy of selection and why.

RunKC
05-04-2015, 09:20 AM
I really do believe that Andy told Dorsey that he could handle Peters a few days before the draft.

And why should we be inclined to believe he can't? T.O., Jackson, Vick, V. Young. These guys were character guys who in Philly who Reid had under control. And some of them said outrageously stupid shit.

Character players usually end up going bad when you have a nazi coach like Haley screaming in your face. Ever notice that Belicheat and Reid are calm guys who treat their players like men? That's exactly why they can have those guys.

Pasta Little Brioni
So, why is he a "panic reach"?

Prison Bitch

Lol.

It's amazing what people will convince themselves of.

Dark Horse
05-04-2015, 09:21 AM
Call Bullshit...

This guy knows. And he is willing to prove to you and I that he does know.

Proof is in the post...

3 or 4 years from now we will mostly all know.

dirk digler
05-04-2015, 09:22 AM

Dorsey could be lying but he said he had knowledge that a team(s) were going to take Morse 2-3 spots after the Chiefs. Otherwise he probably would have taken him in the 3rd if he was available.

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 09:23 AM
So, why is he a "panic reach"?

I am going to go ahead and concede this to you... You win. I don't have the tools and access you do to make informed opinions on players.

I just have the internet and YouTube, Your unparalleled access to game film, coaches notes, assignments and play design trumps anything I have.

I am going to bow out to your awesomeness and walk away.

RunKC
We know for a fact that Denver wanted Morse and they wanted him bad. They picked 10 spots after us.

Morse really heated up to GM's in April. This guy wasn't making it out of round 2.

Reerun_KC
Dorsey could be lying but he said he had knowledge that a team(s) were going to take Morse 2-3 spots after the Chiefs. Otherwise he probably would have taken him in the 3rd if he was available.

:hmmm:

Pasta Little Brioni
05-04-2015, 09:24 AM
I am going to go ahead and concede this to you... You win. I don't have the tools and access you do to make informed opinions on players.

I just have the internet and YouTube, Your unparalleled access to game film, coaches notes, assignments and play design trumps anything I have.

I am going to bow out to your awesomeness and walk away.

I didn't make the statement ROFL I was just curious why you thought that?

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 09:25 AM
I didn't make the statement ROFL I was just curious why you thought that?

You also said draft a Kansas player as well.

you need help.

InChiefsHeaven
05-04-2015, 09:29 AM
After digesting the Peters pick and reading up on it, I just don't think we have anything to worry about with this guy. He's in good hands, and I truly believe he knows what he did, admits it was immature, thanks his coaches and WU, and is ready to take full advantage of this opportunity. He's unapologetically hard core on the field and I think with this staff and locker room, this dude is not only going to be fine, he's going to be a multiple pro bowler. This was an excellent pick, not typical of what the Chiefs would do in the past. I think he'll be the least of our worries, honestly.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-04-2015, 09:31 AM

you need help.

I confused you with the Dutch Rudders and I apologize for such a harsh comparison.

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 09:35 AM
I confused you with the Dutch Rudders and I apologize for such a harsh comparison.

Don't you be nice to me and make me like you....

I am not going to be your friend.... No now, not ever...:harumph:

The Franchise
05-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Peters - The only thing that I think Peters is going to have to work on is not letting veterans get in his head on game day. I really think this "off the field" bullshit is just that. He was a young kid who was being asked to take on a lot in life....and a coaching change happened. He acted immaturely and it got him kicked off. He's taken full responsibility for it and hasn't blamed the coaching staff once. He's even gone so far as to say that he would have kicked himself off the team earlier if he was the coach. I absolutely love this pick. A+

Morse - I know nothing about this kid....so I'm not going to be able to say much about him. Was it a reach? Yeah...probably. But from everything I've heard....he was going in the 3rd round...so it wasn't a HUGE reach *cough* Patriots *cough*. I'm just hoping that the kid is starting from day 1. What that means for Kush or Fulton....I don't know. C+

Conley - Love this kid. Height and speed? Has it all. He's raw but that's what you get when you play in an offense with a horrible QB and a top 10 RB. He has familiarity with Murray and I think that will help him with his transition to the pros. He's smart as hell....and that will definitely help him with the playbook. We missed out on some WRs that I wanted but Conley is a damn good consolation prize in the 3rd. A

Nelson - I was a little surprised to see them go back to CB at the bottom of the 3rd round....but Nelson was a great pick. He'll more than likely start in the dime package for most of this year but the kid can fucking play. Didn't miss a tackle last year and really his only downfall at this point is height. When Smith is gone after this year....I think he'll fit in nicely as the nickle CB with Peters and Gaines on the outside. B

Day 3 - I'm lumping all of these together because I don't know a ton about them at this point. I think Wilson and Alexander are nice depth but I'm praying that one of them is able to steal the job from Mauga mid-season. We still have a bunch of question marks at that position and I'd still like to see a trade for Kendricks from the Eagles. Another TE was needed and the homer in me wanted Koyack...but that didn't happen. So far O' Shaughnessy looks like he could be a decent TE#2 in this offense....but his playing time will all depend on how this coaching staff views Harris. Rochez hopefully can give Poe a breather on a couple of snaps and I know zero about Brown at this point. B

I give them a B for the entire draft. Peters and Nelson make this a top 5 secondary. Hopefully Morse can improve the line and Conley can have an impact this season.

Trivers
05-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Nice read. Good post.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-04-2015, 09:53 AM
I'm glad the Chiefs "reached" for Hali and Poe

KChiefs1
05-04-2015, 09:57 AM

He will. The guy is a stud.

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 09:57 AM
The Chiefs "reached" for Justin Houston /Pasta Giant Meatball

KChiefs1
05-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Any Mizzou fan will tell you Morse is better than Justin Britt(you know the starting RT for the Seahawks) & I believe will be a Pro Bowler.

DJ's left nut
05-04-2015, 10:02 AM

And again, Mayock said he was the top C on his board (suprisingly, ahead of Grassu) right before he was drafted. A few beat writers on Twitter also said that he was considered a lock for the 2nd round a couple of weeks ago.

There's absolutely nobody that realistically expected him to fall out of the 3rd and at least a handful of people that didn't expect him to make it that far. At worst, he's a guy the Chiefs took a round early. Oh well - it happens; I'm not going to get worked up about that, especially when there's some solid evidence to suggest that he wouldn't have made it to the 3rd.

To me this is kindof like the college football rankings. When these services have pre-season rankings it just pisses me off because it's prone to confirmation bias. It's really hard for teams to move up and down when they're rank-ordered based on...well, nothing. So why not wait until week 6 for the first published results?

Had there been no draft guides and no leaks from other camps about these guys until after the combine, Morse would never have been considered a 5th round pick. He's a 3 year starter who showed the athleticism to start at T for a back to back SEC division champion. He's a smart, lunchpail player who then proceeded to demolish the scouting combine as well.

Other than 'THE DRAFT GUIDES SAID!!!', what more could you really want in the guy? Sure, he may not pan out, but neither do 2/3 of the guys selected in the 3rd round. Morse is actually a pretty decent prospect that fit a need.

RunKC
05-04-2015, 10:07 AM
People need to keep in mind that places like NFL.com saying a prospect is a 3rd Rd guy is at that time I.e. March. Perception changes as teams learn more about prospects.

Morse was liked a lot as the process came clear. Mayock saying this and the report that the Broncos wanted him just 10 picks after us prove that.

The Franchise
05-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Walterfootball.com

Mitch Morse, G, Missouri
Height: 6-5. Weight: 305.
Projected 40 Time: 5.14.
Projected Round (2015): 3-5.
4/27/15: Morse was a starter at tackle for the Tigers, but for the NFL, he should kick inside to guard. Especially considering Morse has very short arms (32 1/4 inches). Moving to guard would help his pass protection. Morse may not have the skill set to develop into a difference-maker, but he could turn into a quality contributor up front. Some teams are eyeing Morse in the mid-rounds and sources say that he could be cross-trained at center.

CBSSports

STRENGTHS: Like Justin Britt, Morse is a functional athlete whose strengths are his patience, power and tenacity. Morse has above average initial quickness and shows balance while he "chucks" his way back in pass protection. Morse shows good patience, allowing the defender to get near him before showing a quick, powerful punch to latch and control opponents. He plays with his knees bent, helping him to absorb bull rushes and plays on his toes, allowing him to slide laterally to mirror. Morse is attentive and can handle switching off on twists and unexpected blitzes. As a run blocker, Morse is at his best turning and sealing defenders with his initial quickness or simply driving them off the ball with power. He has good (but not great) quickness and balanced when dropping back into pass protection, as well as when pulling or sprinting out to block defenders at the second level.

WEAKNESSES: He is a bit top-heavy and struggled a bit with speed rushers while at both right and left tackle. He does not possess elite balance and foot speed in his kick-slide, though he's competitive and relatively long and therefore competitors must beat him off the edge; he doesn't give it up easily. Morse will lunge to protect the edge, however, and in doing so drop his head, leaving him vulnerable to swim and spins. Though he shows impressive straight-line speed to the second level, Morse's slightly top-heavy frame and average core flexibility cause him to struggle when needing to adjust to moving targets and too often he misses these blocks.

--Rob Rang

PLAYER OVERVIEW

Morse took over for Seattle Seahawks' second-round pick Justin Britt as the Tigers' left tackle in 2014 and promptly starred, earning Second Team All-SEC honors in his first season on the blindside. Switching positions is nothing new for Morse, who initially worked his way into the starting lineup at Mizzou at center in 2012 before injuries pushed him to right tackle, where he'd started the 17 games prior to that. It is this kind of dependability and versatility that could result in Morse competing for a starting role relatively early in his NFL career.
Morse possesses the frame to remain outside, though he projects better back to the right side. He has good, but not elite footwork to handle speed rushers. Morse has a powerful punch that could also prove effective inside at guard, as well.

NFL.com

STRENGTHS Hard-charging with necessary grit. Smart lineman who understands his shortcomings and makes the proper adjustments. Climbs to second-level blocks with good angles and timing, refusing to stay glued to his initial secure block. Uses a balanced pass set and avoids the waist-bending and head-butting seen from many linemen at point of contact. Uses a well-timed punch and won't show length-limited punch too early. Good feel for landing accurate initial strike in pass pro or run game. Has some straight-line quickness and can get out into space in screen game.

WEAKNESSES Plays with lower body stiffness and that limits his bend and lateral agility. Makes good initial contact, but struggles to maintain his leverage and positioning when asked to block on the move. Needs more hip snap at contact for added power. His short arms are a concern as a tackle. Doesn't have length to redirect rushers far enough upfield when they get to his edge. Feet and hands don't always appear to be synced properly.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3

SOURCES TELL US "Looks like he's tough, but limited on tape." -- AFC offensive line coach "He'll have to move inside but I like him. He's tough and sustains as a run blocker. I think he'll be a long-time starter." - NFC offensive line coach

BOTTOM LINE Morse relied on timing, instincts and angles to get guys blocked as a tackle at the college level but might lack the arm length and functional athleticism to play tackle in the pros. If he moves inside to guard, his toughness will serve him well, but he's not a power player and must prove that he can sustain his block and positioning to be an effective run blocker. Teams are heating up on Morse and some see him as one of the top transitional center prospects in the draft.

kccrow
05-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Good read Sully and appreciate your thoughts. I will offer mine back that I posted elsewhere yesterday. Grades reflect my immediate feelings about the player and the selection vs others available, thus relatively meaningless. :)

1. Marcus Peters, CB - A

I like the pick. I wanted Phillip Dorsett in a bad way and I was correct about him being a 1st round pick (haters). That said, Peters was in my top 5 of players I wanted the Chiefs to go with in round 1. This kid is a phenomenal talent with a bit of an aggression issue, but I can deal with that in the NFL. It's good to have fiery, players that want to be great and want to win. Peters has the potential to be a great defensive back.

2. Mitch Morse, OL - B+

I love the pick of Morse. There is a ton of complaining going on in Chiefs' Nation about this pick, but I'm ecstatic. This guy is very fundamentally sound and powerful. I have no doubt he can be a day 1 starter for this football team. My personal view is that he ends up the starter at RG and the backup to Kush at OC. I do feel as though the Chiefs would have taken Grasu if they wanted a guy that was just a center. Either way, phenomenal player to get. Only reason I don't give an A is that I felt like he was taken a bit early.

3. Chris Conley, WR - A-

I appreciate the move up here to get a guy they wanted. Conley was the last of the bigger bodied receivers that could move down the field quickly. I felt like some other guys would have been good values in the 3rd, but I can't complain at all about the selection.

3. Steven Nelson, CB - B

I like Nelson as a nickle corner, probably the best one in this draft. There were some guys left on the board right here though that I wouldn't have passed up for a nickle CB. Number one is T.J. Clemmings. I didn't like Clemmings where the experts had him (1st-early 2nd), but at the end of round 3? Damn straight I take that type of mouldable potential, especially with the serious question marks at RT and even at LT. After that, I'd have seriously considered Ibraheim Campbell at SS.

4. Ramik Wilson, ILB - C-

Wilson isn't that athletic and he's not really good at taking on blockers. He's kind of ... Josh Mauga-esque. He's not a guy I trust out in space like Derrick Johnson and I have a hard time seeing him develop into a take-on thumper. I didn't care for this selection at all. I think it was a mistake to pass on some serious talent here like Adrian Amos, Josh Shaw, Rashad Greene, and Bobby McCain. I know the Chiefs need ILB help, but this guy has some work to do to be that guy. Clemmings at 3B and Amos at 4 would have made me a bit more giddy.

5. D.J. Alexander, LB - D-

I'm not liking this pick. This guy has athleticism that you can see on tape as he runs himself out of plays and past ball carriers. I don't like his field awareness that much. Ugly pick in my mind, but he could have some value on special teams. There is absolutely no way I pass on Michael Bennett at this spot, none. Bennett dropped way too far in this draft and would have been a good looking 5-tech.

5. James O'Shaughnessy, TE - A

I really liked this pick. I felt like the Chiefs needed to add a TE in this range that could block adequately and still be a receiving option and Shag is one of those guys. A very solid pick that I hope works out. I would say Andy Gallik being here at OC would have been attractive.

6. Rakim Nunez-Roches, DT - A

A high effort player that I like. He needs coaching. He needs to put himself in better positions sometimes. I can't complain. I think this kid was a relative steal this late that could develop into a nice penetrating defensive lineman in time. This is another spot where I did think KC could have picked up a nickle corner in a guy like Darryl Roberts, but either way I'm good with the pick.

7. Da'Ron Brown, WR - D+

I don't think this kid has the quicks to amount to anything, but he does have great hands. Meanwhile the Chiefs passed on Tre McBride for some unknown reason. I don't get why McBride was passed over, there has to be something we don't know about with the kid. Honestly, some decent talents were available here at TE too in Rory Anderson and Gerald Christian as well as at CB with Darryl Roberts.

OVERALL GRADE: B

I graded on a slight curve upward here because I think the Chiefs filled some gaps in the roster. I think they have a few players that can contribute immediately and some in the not so distant future. Overall, I think I'm disappointed at some talent the Chiefs did pass on but a solid draft nonetheless. Maxx Williams at TE in round 2, T.J. Clemmings at OT in round 3, Michael Bennett at DE/DT in round 5, and Tre McBride at WR in round 7 really stick out to me.

Mr. Laz
05-04-2015, 10:19 AM
If we take a WR instead of Morse in the 2nd then we don't take WR Conley in the 3rd.

I like Conley a lot so Morse gets a pass.

The way i'm choosing to look at it.

OnTheWarpath15
05-04-2015, 10:22 AM

Being a 10 year starter doesn't neccesarly mean you're a good player.

I can think of a current and past KC QB that are coming up on or at 10 years.

The Franchise
05-04-2015, 10:23 AM
If we take a WR instead of Morse in the 2nd then we don't take WR Conley in the 3rd.

I like Conley a lot so Morse gets a pass.

The way i'm choosing to look at it.

Pretty much. I would have been pissed if someone like Kendricks was on the board in the 2nd and they took Morse. There was a ton of talented players that went before Morse....so it's whatever.

I've learned to let the hate go after the draft honestly. There are tons of times that I've wanted them to take a player and then that player either doesn't get drafted or goes way late.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Being a 10 year starter doesn't neccesarly mean you're a good player.

I can think of a current and past KC QB that are coming up on or at 10 years.

This is true

Pasta Little Brioni
05-04-2015, 10:26 AM
And again, Mayock said he was the top C on his board (suprisingly, ahead of Grassu) right before he was drafted. A few beat writers on Twitter also said that he was considered a lock for the 2nd round a couple of weeks ago.

There's absolutely nobody that realistically expected him to fall out of the 3rd and at least a handful of people that didn't expect him to make it that far. At worst, he's a guy the Chiefs took a round early. Oh well - it happens; I'm not going to get worked up about that, especially when there's some solid evidence to suggest that he wouldn't have made it to the 3rd.

To me this is kindof like the college football rankings. When these services have pre-season rankings it just pisses me off because it's prone to confirmation bias. It's really hard for teams to move up and down when they're rank-ordered based on...well, nothing. So why not wait until week 6 for the first published results?

Had there been no draft guides and no leaks from other camps about these guys until after the combine, Morse would never have been considered a 5th round pick. He's a 3 year starter who showed the athleticism to start at T for a back to back SEC division champion. He's a smart, lunchpail player who then proceeded to demolish the scouting combine as well.

Other than 'THE DRAFT GUIDES SAID!!!', what more could you really want in the guy? Sure, he may not pan out, but neither do 2/3 of the guys selected in the 3rd round. Morse is actually a pretty decent prospect that fit a need.

This is very true

Pasta Little Brioni
05-04-2015, 10:26 AM
The Chiefs "reached" for Justin Houston /Pasta Giant Meatball

This is not

Rausch
05-04-2015, 10:48 AM
I think this is by far our best draft by Dorsey.

Our top 3 picks should be competing for a starting job day one and starting by the end of the year.

Even our second CB should be contributing heavily by the end of the year and between him and Gaines I'm confident one of them will be able to take over the no 2 role if Smith leaves as a FA...

RunKC
05-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Who would you have taken in round 2? Here were the picks after Morse.

Ronald Darby-Drafted Peters 1st rd
Nate Orchard-Already have enough pass rushers right now.
Jordan Phillips-Not a big fan of this guy
Jake Fisher-Not as good as Morse IMO. He's weak.
Ameer Abdullah-Don't need a RB
Maxx Williams-I would say this is a legit guy we could have taken.
Senzquez Golson-Midget nickel CB? Would rather have Steven Nelson.
Rob Havenstein-Can't draft a fatty, plus we have enough tackles.
Markus Golden-See Nate Orchard
Ty Sambrailo-See Rob Havenstein. No fatty's for CP amirite?
Randy Gregory-fuck no.
Ali Marpet-Can't draft a fatty amirite?!
Quinten Rollins-See Ronald Darby
Frank Clark-See Nate Orchard. Also had huge character concerns of abuse.
Jordan Richards-Slow safety. Don't think he fits us at all.

So Maxx Williams?

Mr. Laz
05-04-2015, 10:58 AM

agreed

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 11:04 AM

Our top 3 picks should be competing for a starting job day one and starting by the end of the year.

Even our second CB should be contributing heavily by the end of the year and between him and Gaines I'm confident one of them will be able to take over the no 2 role if Smith leaves as a FA...

good points.

Skyy God
05-04-2015, 11:07 AM
I'm really liking the Conley pick, especially given his SPARQ score (a measure of overall athleticism) was in the 99th percentile for NFL WRs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-04-2015, 11:12 AM
I understand the Morse pick from a positional standpoint, but the player himself?

????

jonzie04
05-04-2015, 11:18 AM
i'm really excited for peters, nelson and conley. i've had a huge crush on peters for a very long time now. i'm just now coming around to conley more, i thought he was a workout warrior, but after watching his game, the guy has some freakish aj green like body control and has a great set of hands on him.

also very excited about nelson. i think the guy could end up being an even better version of brandon flowers. he has the same temperament, but he's an even better tackler and has more size and strength.

i'm not a huge fan of the morse pick, i thought it was foolish to pass up on jalen strong for him. also thought there were better center prospects available. i really love his punch but he has a very weak anchor. ive seen defensive ends such as zadarius smith successfully bull rush him, and i really wonder if his lower body is strong enough to anchor against an nfl caliber dt. that being said though i do think he could develop into a really good interior lineman if he can improve his anchor.

the te shag looks very promising as well, i was very surprised when i watched his highlight clip. it wouldnt surprise me if he beats out harris by the end of the season.

i would have rather taken strong or gregory in round 2, clemmings round 3 comp, and mcbride at any point after that. but overall we got a nice haul.

Sorter
05-04-2015, 11:30 AM
I guess the most basic thing to ask is, Did we upgrade?" While i don't think that answer has been clear in the previous two drafts, I do believe in this draft we definitively improved at several positions, and set ourselves up for some great play over the next few seasons.

Round 1- Peters- This pick worries me. Getting kicked off a team is a huge deal, especially when you are as talented as this guy. The coaches must've felt that they had to send a message, and that his behavior was bad enough to lose his stellar play. The question that can't be answered for a while is, 'Was it a wake-up call?" I hope so. But is it an upgrade? Absolutely. Peters may be, within a season, the best CB on the roster.

Round 2- Morse- Yeah... Lot's of teeth gnashing and ripping of clothes over this one. Yes, it was a reach (kind of). Yes, it's not at a position that's sexy. But, again, was it an upgrade? Without question. The Chiefs' line needs improvement. We are staring down the barrel of starting a center who was a late round pick, and who didn't see the field last year. Could he be great? Absolutely. (And I don't think the Morse pick is as much of an indictment on Kush as others). I think that the pick was the confluence of a few things. The Chiefs obviously like Morse. Given. But they wanted someone who could play Center if Kush sucks, but also play another position at a high level if Kush won the job, as well. Once they chose Peters over Ervin, this was pretty much the pick they needed to make. I also think Morse is pretty good. So regardless of where he plays, it's an upgrade (we were that bad).

Round 3- Conley- OK, I wanted this kid. For the first time in my life, I yelled and got excited about a damn 3rd round pick. It's ridiculous. But I love Conley. I think he is perfect for what we do (with a few tweaks), and will be one of the top 2 or 3 receivers from this draft as we look back on it. Am I delusional? Abso-fucking-lutely. Never make a statement like that about a 3rd round pick three days after the draft... idiot. However, I love this guys brain, his passion, and his fucking speed. Is he an upgrade over Bowe? You bet your ass he is. He's going to open up our offense to allow us to do more things. Let me rant for a minute. Over the past few years, Bowe did a few things, but really what he was "best" at was catching a quick slant in tight coverage. Balls snapped, quick slant, 4-6 yards. Extended handoff as they say. But the thing is, why was the coverage always that tight? because Bowe was fucking slow. He's not going to beat anyone off the line. Even if he gets to a CB's back hip, there's plenty of time for the back to recover. I'd like to see the Chiefs runa few of these slants to Conley. Let's see him turn one into a 20-30 yard gain, because he beat his man and the safety had to come up. Let's see them slant-go his ass, and burn someone for 60. I think he'll work out just fine. (Again, i admit I'm delusional.)

Round 3- Nelson- In the "is this an upgrade" question, I'm not sure. Is this guy better than Gaines? Is he better than Cooper? I don't know. I actually like those two guys, so I don't know.

Round 4- Wilson- The problem highlighted in the online scouting reports is the same problem I have when I watch the (admittedly limited) vids on youtube. He seems to stick to blocks. I love the speed, but unless he learns to scrape and find run throughs a little better, he's gonna have a tough time. I talked to a buddy of mine who graduated from UGA, and who is die hard, and he loves Wilson, but admitted, he isn't gong to play much behind the line of scrimmage. That said, do you all remember that up until Haley got here, DJ was thought of as sort of a bust? The biggest thing he learned that turned him from average to great, was how to shoot through windows. previously, DJ would run around trash to get to the PoA, and that would take away his angle, and give up yards. Suddenly, it was striking how he could shoot through an open window, and use his speed and athleticism to cut off a runner's angle. If Wilson can be taught that, he could be a beat. it's a simple tech, he just has to be open to the coaching.

However,

Round 5- Alexander- Seems to do a better job of finding those windows and using his speed. He should also be amazing on Special teams. Overall, the two ILBs will be an upgrade above a slow Mauga, and possibly hobbled DJ. It just may not be as immediate as above players.

ROund 5- O'Shaughnessy- I've watched one YouTube, and read one report, but I'm sold. For a #2 backup, he's more athletic and/or accomplished than anyone else we have, and even Fasano. Can he block? Apparently.

Round 6- Nunez-Rochez- Not impressed. Seems to have good burst through gaps, so maybe a passing sub, but I don't know that he'll be much more than that. If he's used to spell Poe, it's an upgrade. If not... meh.

Round 7- DaRon Brown- Can he cover kicks? That's all that matters.

I'm very happy with this draft. I think we upgraded a ton at several positions. I'm excited to see these guys moving forward, as I think we have got a great core to help the team now, and build around in the future.

Nice.

I have similar thoughts on most of the picks. Would prefer to see Morse at RG rather than C. Think Nelson is going to be primarily used in the slot. Wilson is meh but Alexander's intriguing. Really like the O'Shaughnessy pick. Nunez-Rochez looked like he got the majority of his snaps as a shade/1. Curious to see if they use him there or as a 3-technique. I have not watched Brown at all, so no comment.

Chiefnj2
05-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Who would you have taken in round 2? Here were the picks after Morse.

So Maxx Williams?

That was the big problem in not being able to move up in the 2nd. That run on ILB's and Wr's really limited KC. FWIW, I would have preferred Maxx Williams, Fisher and maybe even "reach" on Lockett.

Rausch
05-04-2015, 11:51 AM
i'm really excited for peters, nelson and conley. i've had a huge crush on peters for a very long time now. i'm just now coming around to conley more, i thought he was a workout warrior, but after watching his game, the guy has some freakish aj green like body control and has a great set of hands on him.

also very excited about nelson. i think the guy could end up being an even better version of brandon flowers. he has the same temperament, but he's an even better tackler and has more size and strength.

i'm not a huge fan of the morse pick, i thought it was foolish to pass up on jalen strong for him. also thought there were better center prospects available. i really love his punch but he has a very weak anchor. ive seen defensive ends such as zadarius smith successfully bull rush him, and i really wonder if his lower body is strong enough to anchor against an nfl caliber dt. that being said though i do think he could develop into a really good interior lineman if he can improve his anchor.

the te shag looks very promising as well, i was very surprised when i watched his highlight clip. it wouldnt surprise me if he beats out harris by the end of the season.

i would have rather taken strong or gregory in round 2, clemmings round 3 comp, and mcbride at any point after that. but overall we got a nice haul.

In past drafts not only did I not like the prospect but I sat there asking myself "what were they thinking?"

This year the talent was good, the need was there, and once you find out a little about the picks you know exactly what they were thinking.

Peters is a CB more like Dale Carter or Dion Sanders. Big playmaking potential, good ball skills, SUPER competitive guy. And just as import he brings swagger and an attitude with him that this secondary needs. Peters energy can bring a lift to everyone in that secondary and our locker room has the experience and character to bring him down when need be.

For a while now our secondary has been the little brother that benefited from the play of big-brother pass rush. Peters gives the secondary a guy that QB's fear and throw away from.

The Morse pick I can't pretend I'm super excited about but again I can see what they're thinking. He can compete for starting C and if injuries happen he can play G or C. His ideal spot would be C but he solid as a b/u G because he plays strong. On top of all this he's not a guy who could project to a number of spots - he's already done it. You know he's a team player because he's already moved no less than 3 times for his old team.
I can see what they're thinking there.

Conley is not only a combine freak but provides us with a legit deep threat as a 3rd round pick. It's also a need. This pick checks all the boxes. Talent, need, great value in the round he was selected. Add to that he's a very intelligent guy (read: should learn the offense and his responsibilities quickly) and it's impossible to hear him in an interview and not love the guy. IIRC 810 interviewed him and when asked about his media/journalism major responded that he could use that after his NFL career to perhaps transition to a media job. A guy thinking about life after fooball IN COLLEGE. This kid has his $3it together.

In each of these picks the position makes sense, there's a need, and the individual person makes sense. The only guy who wasn't excellent value (much better than where we picked them) was Morse and that's debatable.

My frustration with him the past few years was due to feeling like we didn't do this in his first or second draft. This draft is exactly what I was expecting when we hired Dorsey.

If we handle the situation right and can manage to sign Houston to a long term deal after the year this offseason will have been flawless.

****ing walk off grand slam of an offseason...

Beef Supreme
05-04-2015, 11:56 AM
http://media.giphy.com/media/13py6c5BSnBkic/giphy.gif

Faddy Yomama
05-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Morse would've definitely been available for one of our 3rd round picks. We'll have to see how Conley plays out I guess.

The Franchise
05-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Morse would've definitely be available for one of our 3rd round picks. We'll have to see how Conley plays out I guess.

:rolleyes:

Faddy Yomama
05-04-2015, 12:01 PM
:rolleyes:Check out the boss editing on that post. :clap:

RunKC
05-04-2015, 12:03 PM
I loved Lockett and would have loved him here, but I think they really wanted size at WR. Conley is a tall lanky guy with the same speed and the ability to jump and be a redzone target.

I am glad we took him over Lockett

Frosty
05-04-2015, 12:12 PM
I loved Lockett and would have loved him here, but I think they really wanted size at WR. Conley is a tall lanky guy with the same speed and the ability to jump and be a redzone target.

I am glad we took him over Lockett

Yeah. I was lukewarm on Lockett because, with DAT and Wilson, the Chiefs already had a bunch of Smurfs. Maclin isn't that big either. Having some size at WR is nice. It's a case of blocking as well as being able to go for jump balls.

Bowser
05-04-2015, 12:54 PM
I loved Lockett and would have loved him here,

But that Seattle offense, though...

- Russell Wilson
- Marshawn Lynch
- Jimmy Graham
- Doug Baldwin
- Tyler Lockett
- Jermaine Kearse

Yeah. Not bad.

raybec 4
05-04-2015, 01:06 PM
But that Seattle offense, though...

- Russell Wilson
- Marshawn Lynch
- Jimmy Graham
- Doug Baldwin
- Tyler Lockett
- Jermaine Kearse

Yeah. Not bad.

As long as Lockett doesn't fuck Wilson's gf, he'll be very good in Seattle

beach tribe
05-04-2015, 01:48 PM

you need help.

God, you're fucking stupid.

Reerun_KC
05-04-2015, 01:51 PM
God, you're ****ing stupid.

ROFL

based on your posts, you might need to read this...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sense-and-sensitivity/201210/the-highly-sensitive-man

DaWolf
05-04-2015, 02:00 PM
We're probably going to be glad we drafted Morse as soon as Grubbs or Fanaika or someone tears a pec or rips a ligament or something. Our line got destroyed last year and I'm all for anyone who can help improve it and push others and eventually take over a starting role, assuming he can play...

Pitt Gorilla
05-04-2015, 02:02 PM
I got to see O'Shaughnessy play, and he was really good. I hope his talent translates to the NFL.

Anyong Bluth
05-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Not that I can take credit for it, it was mentioned on the radio, but look at the numbers- he's a poorman's Jones, who Atlanta had to give up an arm and a leg to move up and draft in round 1. Chief's only are taking a flyer on the guy with a 3rd round pick, who outperformed in a number of the drills- mainly faster and stronger, while Jones performed better on moving side to side.

For comparison of their senior years, Jones had roughly 500 more yards and around 40 more catches, while Conley had 1 more TD than Julio. Factor in the fact that Georgia is a lot more of a run heavy offense, and obviously Jones still eclipses him, but it certainly isn't even a question of was Conley at least worth taking in the 3rd when he has a similar makeup as somebody like Jones. Nothing's guaranteed but at least you can see why the organization would be interested in seeing if they can coach this kid into an NFL talent!

http://i60.tinypic.com/n1qu4j.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/zixhtt.png

Bowser
05-04-2015, 02:27 PM
NFL Comparison - Chris Matthews

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R_rPjJisW20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

notorious
05-04-2015, 02:31 PM
I have a strange feeling that Morse is going to be an All-Pro.

Feelings are based on emotion, so don't take it to seriously. :D

Otter
05-04-2015, 03:40 PM
By the power invested in me by Chiefs Planet I hereby assign Mitch Morse the alias of "alligator arms". So let it be written. So let it be done.

KevB
05-04-2015, 04:19 PM
I'm good with the draft --- I thought they did a nice job of meshing talent available and team needs. I'd have preferred Lockett in the 2nd, but so be it. Conley in the 3rd should work out pretty well --- happy we made the move up to get him.

I wonder how people would look at the 2nd round pick differently if he were from Toledo? I can't remember who said what leading up to the draft, but it seemed 95% of those with an opinion were adamant that an interior offensive lineman shouldn't be selected before the 3rd or 4th round. That seems to be how the draft unfolded as well. Marpet, Cann and Grasu went between 49 and 76, while Jon Miller went after our first 3rd round pick, and then a number of OG/C types went in the 4th.

Anyong Bluth
05-04-2015, 04:24 PM
I'm good with the draft --- I thought they did a nice job of meshing talent available and team needs. I'd have preferred Lockett in the 2nd, but so be it. Conley in the 3rd should work out pretty well --- happy we made the move up to get him.

I wonder how people would look at the 2nd round pick differently if he were from Toledo? I can't remember who said what leading up to the draft, but it seemed 95% of those with an opinion were adamant that an interior offensive lineman shouldn't be selected before the 3rd or 4th round. That seems to be how the draft unfolded as well. Marpet, Cann and Grasu went between 49 and 76, while Jon Miller went after our first 3rd round pick, and then a number of OG/C types went in the 4th.

While he is likely going to spend the majority of time at Center. They clearly like having the option of having the versatility of a guy that can play at any spot along the line.

Easy 6
05-04-2015, 04:38 PM
After digesting the Peters pick and reading up on it, I just don't think we have anything to worry about with this guy. He's in good hands, and I truly believe he knows what he did, admits it was immature, thanks his coaches and WU, and is ready to take full advantage of this opportunity. He's unapologetically hard core on the field and I think with this staff and locker room, this dude is not only going to be fine, he's going to be a multiple pro bowler. This was an excellent pick, not typical of what the Chiefs would do in the past. I think he'll be the least of our worries, honestly.

I agree, they'll focus him and rein him in for the most part.

He might draw an unsportsmanlike once in a while, but sometimes that can be a good thing... sometimes its good for the other team, and especially your own team, to see an extremely aggressive, take no prisoners player get all jacked up on emotion.

"The Kansas City Chiefs arent putting up with - X - "... in the right situation, I like to see a little extracurricular activity, a little scrum if you will.

kccrow
05-04-2015, 04:53 PM
I think some people need to look at arm lengths of NFL guards and centers in comparison to Mitch Morse. He easily fits. His arm length is only an issue in translating him out to tackle in the NFL.

LiL stumppy
05-04-2015, 10:35 PM

I would love for you to say that to Fisher and see what happens. This team isn't soft, it was simply missing some vital pieces. People are so retarded.

aturnis
05-04-2015, 11:31 PM

The draft projections referred to are from guys reading him as a tackle. One draft guy on either NFLN or ESPN said as much. Also t said that looking at him as a C or a G and that being a need raises his value.

DaneMcCloud
05-05-2015, 12:11 AM
I would love for you to say that to Fisher and see what happens
I'm surprised that you can feed and clothe yourself without help.

LiL stumppy
05-05-2015, 01:25 AM
I'm surprised that you can feed and clothe yourself without help.

At least I live a fun, successful life that I don't have to embellish on an internet message board to feel worthy. ;)

Dave Lane
05-05-2015, 04:11 AM
I really do believe that Andy told Dorsey that he could handle Peters a few days before the draft.

And why should we be inclined to believe he can't? T.O., Jackson, Vick, V. Young. These guys were character guys who in Philly who Reid had under control. And some of them said outrageously stupid shit.

Character players usually end up going bad when you have a nazi coach like Haley screaming in your face. Ever notice that Belicheat and Reid are calm guys who treat their players like men? That's exactly why they can have those guys.

Say what?

CoMoChief
05-05-2015, 05:35 AM
This draft outside of a couple picks wasn't very impressive. Chiefs could have really nailed this draft had they capitalized on the players that fell into later rounds.

My draft is a lot better than KC's

1. CB-Marcus Peters (proj rd 1)

2. WR-Tyler Lockett (proj rd 2-3) This is going to haunt Chiefs fans for yrs. He was there, and the Chiefs bombed w/ the stupid pick of Mitch Morse. Horrible pick. Pisses me off just to even think about it. This was the kind of shit we always saw w/ Dick Vermeil..typical Chiefs shitting their pants and reaching in the 2nd rd.

3. WR-Chris Conley (proj rd 3)

3. OT-TJ Clemmings (proj rd 1-2)

4. ILB-Ramik Wilson (proj rd 4)

5. DT-Michael Bennett (proj rd 2-3)

5. CB-Ifo Erekpe-Olomu (proj rd 1-2 before inj) He probably would have to sit out first season while he's getting healthy from his acl tear. But acl tears aren't as serious as they were 10-15 yrs ago. This guy was a lockdown CB and was considered in that elite CB group w/ Waynes and Peters up until his injury before the Rose Bowl.

6. FS-Gerod Holliman (proj rd 4-5)

7. OT-La'El Collins (proj rd 1 - top 15) (If he doesn't pan out due to off-field issues...so what it's a 7th rd pick, most 7th round picks don't even make it off the PS, and to have a top 15 talent fall completely off the draft board...that rarely happens, this would be a no brainer)

DJ's left nut
05-05-2015, 09:25 AM
This draft outside of a couple picks wasn't very impressive. Chiefs could have really nailed this draft had they capitalized on the players that fell into later rounds.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!

The Franchise
05-05-2015, 09:37 AM

My draft is a lot better than KC's

1. CB-Marcus Peters (proj rd 1)

2. WR-Tyler Lockett (proj rd 2-3) This is going to haunt Chiefs fans for yrs. He was there, and the Chiefs bombed w/ the stupid pick of Mitch Morse. Horrible pick. Pisses me off just to even think about it. This was the kind of shit we always saw w/ Dick Vermeil..typical Chiefs shitting their pants and reaching in the 2nd rd.

3. WR-Chris Conley (proj rd 3)

3. OT-TJ Clemmings (proj rd 1-2)

4. ILB-Ramik Wilson (proj rd 4)

5. DT-Michael Bennett (proj rd 2-3)

5. CB-Ifo Erekpe-Olomu (proj rd 1-2 before inj) He probably would have to sit out first season while he's getting healthy from his acl tear. But acl tears aren't as serious as they were 10-15 yrs ago. This guy was a lockdown CB and was considered in that elite CB group w/ Waynes and Peters up until his injury before the Rose Bowl.

6. FS-Gerod Holliman (proj rd 4-5)

7. OT-La'El Collins (proj rd 1 - top 15) (If he doesn't pan out due to off-field issues...so what it's a 7th rd pick, most 7th round picks don't even make it off the PS, and to have a top 15 talent fall completely off the draft board...that rarely happens, this would be a no brainer)

Congrats....you just helped Collins enter the draft next year. He wouldn't have signed his contract and he would have used that to re-enter next years draft.