PDA

View Full Version : News Simmons and ESPN parting ways

Sully
05-08-2015, 09:19 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2458030-bill-simmons-contract-wont-be-renewed-by-espn-latest-details-and-reaction?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

I wonder how this will affect Grantland? If Simmons poaches everyone away from it and starts a new site, that'd be great.

chiefzilla1501
05-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Good. Bull Simmons has the actual ability to go somewhere else and dent the ESPN empire. Let him go somewhere that isn't obsessed with censoring him. Wonder what happens to the 30 for 30.

raybec 4
05-08-2015, 09:27 AM
ESPN has Whitlock! They don't need Grantland, the Undefeated will rule the world of sports reporting!!!!

Sully
05-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Good. Bull Simmons has the actual ability to go somewhere else and dent the ESPN empire. Let him go somewhere that isn't obsessed with censoring him. Wonder what happens to the 30 for 30.

I think 30 for 30 will do ok. They found a formula, there.

I can't wait to hear Simmons' stories, though. We'll see how hard of a non-disclosure they make him sign.

Mr. Laz
05-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Patriot homer ... fuck him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2015, 09:45 AM
I don't think this is a good idea. He was making $3 million a year on his current contract, and he had national TV exposure w/ NBA Countdown and, then, The Grantland Basketball Hour.

ESPN has too much money for him to poach most of the Grantland staff. I'm sure he could get guys like Klosterman, who is only a guest writer, to contribute, but beyond that? I'm dubious.

In some ways he actually made himself obsolete when he started Grantland. His best schtick as a writer was focusing on the NBA. Hiring Zach Lowe was a great decision, but Lowe is a much, much better basketball writer than Simmons. It exposed flaws in his best attribute.

It's too bad, because film criticism aside, Grantland is a really good site, even if too many of the writers bring unnecessary attention to themselves with their prose.

Reaper16
05-08-2015, 10:08 AM
It's too bad, because film criticism aside, Grantland is a really good site, even if too many of the writers bring unnecessary attention to themselves with their prose.

What's yer beef with Wesley Morris?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2015, 10:18 AM
What's yer beef with Wesley Morris?

He hates everything.

chiefzilla1501
05-08-2015, 11:10 AM
I don't think this is a good idea. He was making $3 million a year on his current contract, and he had national TV exposure w/ NBA Countdown and, then, The Grantland Basketball Hour.

ESPN has too much money for him to poach most of the Grantland staff. I'm sure he could get guys like Klosterman, who is only a guest writer, to contribute, but beyond that? I'm dubious.

In some ways he actually made himself obsolete when he started Grantland. His best schtick as a writer was focusing on the NBA. Hiring Zach Lowe was a great decision, but Lowe is a much, much better basketball writer than Simmons. It exposed flaws in his best attribute.

Maybe. I also think what makes grantland better is it doesn't feel like ESPN. If Simmons finds a big backer, I'm sure there are enough writers who would prefer to write what they want instead of constantly having big brother over them.

If I'm yahoo, I'm on the phone with Simmons asap. I

ragedogg69
05-08-2015, 11:16 AM
There will be an absolute bidding war for Bill Simmons. Sure he is a giant pain in the ass for his bosses, but he can produce.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Meh

Baby Lee
05-08-2015, 11:28 AM
He hates everything.

Aaaand, . . . that's YOUR thing?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2015, 11:41 AM

Sure. Just like IRL you have "bitter closet conservative who is going to die alone."

Pablo
05-08-2015, 11:42 AM
LMAO

Nice exchange gents.

Hootie
05-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Wow. Surprising to say the least. Simmons will regret it

Mr. Laz
05-08-2015, 12:19 PM
You would be pissed too if someone what taking your thing away

LMAO

L.A. Chieffan
05-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Good for him ESPN had too much to lose with some of his opinions, now hopefully he can go balls out with no pussy censorship.

chiefzilla1501
05-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Wow. Surprising to say the least. Simmons will regret it

Simmons strikes me as a guy who cares about voicing his opinion more than he cares about money. Would imagine if he could say whatever he wanted, he'd be fine with getting less money. Simmons has been pushing the envelope for years including a recent incident where he banned for basically giving ESPN a giant fuck you on air.

DJ's left nut
05-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Simmons strikes me as a guy who cares about voicing his opinion more than he cares about money. Would imagine if he could say whatever he wanted, he'd be fine with getting less money. Simmons has been pushing the envelope for years including a recent incident where he banned for basically giving ESPN a giant fuck you on air.

Um....Simmons took the money over the freedom twice during prior contract discussions with ESPN.

Now that he's a major media property, he'll get to do both. But when he had to pick one or the other, he took the money and then bitched about it when ESPN slapped his hand, as though he didn't know that was going to happen when he took a massive pay raise rather than jet to Yahoo or Fox during his last contract negotiations.

notorious
05-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Cowherd said Simmons will make a huge amount of money with this move.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-08-2015, 01:24 PM

Show him the mehney!

Sully
05-08-2015, 01:31 PM
I really enjoy reading Bill Simmons. I have since the mid 90s.
However, between the book "Those Guys Have All the Fun," His recent dust ups, and some second-hand stories from someone who has spent time around him, apparently he's a giant asshole. That's fine, and I don't really care. he puts out a great product.
But my guess, knowing this, is that Bill's next move will be to do something on his own (later ty be bought up by espn, Fox, or someone similar).

Dragonocho
05-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Saw a suggestion about him and Mark Cuban collaborating. Simmons is everything everyone says about him but he can deliver entertaining content online. If he can work distribution (Cuban's world) independent of an existing sports writing franchise this could be fun to watch.

Marco Polo
05-08-2015, 01:57 PM
I know I'm probably in the minority but I think he needs to ink a big deal with HBO. They are uncensored and he can run both a website and have an uncensored show. There is a massive audience in HBO and he'll make a ton of cash.

Baby Lee
05-08-2015, 02:13 PM
Sure. Just like IRL you have "bitter closet conservative who is going to die alone."

Awesome sauce!! Being an albeit small part of 'everything,' I'd hope for no less.

Baby Lee
05-08-2015, 02:35 PM
Interesting that BS Report went with Summer Movie Preview today.

kcxiv
05-08-2015, 05:22 PM
I think 30 for 30 will do ok. They found a formula, there.

I can't wait to hear Simmons' stories, though. We'll see how hard of a non-disclosure they make him sign.

I dont see how they can make him sign anything unless it was in his previous contract. Bill Simmons will be fine. I bet you Fox is going to throw a fuckton of money at him.

kcxiv
05-08-2015, 05:25 PM

Yep, like i said, Fox is going to attempt to throw alot of money at him. I dont know if he will go, but there is goign to be alot of money offered to him and he's going to get alot of freedom with them contracts being offered.