PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Garo Yepremian.....dead...

Deberg_1990
05-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Garo Yepremian, a highly accomplished field-goal kicker who proved to be a comically inept Super Bowl passer in one of the most famous bloopers in the history of the National Football League, died on Friday at a hospital in Media, Pa. He was 70.

Yepremian, who lived in nearby Avondale, Pa., had a brain tumor, according to a statement issued by the Garo Yepremian Foundation for Brain Tumor Research. Yepremian established the organization in 2001 after his daughter-in-law was afflicted with a brain tumor that took her life in 2004.

Yepremian, who was left-footed, played in the N.F.L. from 1966 through 1981, kicking for the Detroit Lions, the Miami Dolphins, the New Orleans Saints and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. In 1966, he kicked six field goals for the Lions in a game against the Minnesota Vikings.

But the high points (and famous low point) of his career were with Miami. As Christmas Day turned to night in 1971, he kicked a 37-yard field goal in Kansas City, Mo., to lift the Dolphins over the Chiefs, 27-24, in the second overtime of a playoff game. The contest was the longest in N.F.L. history at the time. Weeks later, his field goal gave Miami its only points as the Dolphins lost to the Dallas Cowboys, 24-3, in the Super Bowl.

Then came the magical season of 1972. Yepremian was his team’s leading scorer as the Dolphins took a 16-0 record into the Super Bowl against the Washington Redskins on Jan. 14, 1973, in Los Angeles. The Dolphins were leading, 14-0, with just over two minutes left when Yepremian was sent in to attempt a field goal.

Don Shula, the Dolphins’ coach, relived the moment decades later, as The Associated Press recalled Saturday: “I thought, ‘Boy, this will be great if Garo kicks this field goal and we go ahead, 17-0, in a 17-0 season. What a great way that would be to remember the game.’ And then Garo did what he did.”

What Yepremian inexplicably did, after the Redskins’ Bill Brundige blocked the kick, was pick up the ball and try to pass it. But Yepremian was used to kicking the ball, not throwing it, and the ball slipped out of his hands. He tried to bat the ball out of bounds, but instead he batted it into the hands of the Redskins’ Mike Bass, who ran 49 yards for a touchdown.

Yepremian hid on the end of the bench for the final two minutes of the contest, his 5-foot-7 ½-inch stature making concealment easy. He was reprieved as the Dolphins hung on to win, 14-7, but his blunder was already legendary.

“Every airport you go to, people point to you and say, ‘Here’s the guy who screwed up in the Super Bowl,’ ” Yepremian said in a 2007 interview with The Associated Press. “Fortunately, I’m a happy-go-lucky guy.”

Yepremian also kicked for the Dolphins when they repeated as Super Bowl champions the next season. The Dolphins released him after the 1978 season, and he finished his career in New Orleans and Tampa Bay.

Garabed Sarkis Yepremian (pronounced ya-PREM-ee-an) was born in Cyprus on June 2, 1944, and came to the United States when he was 22. A former soccer player, he spoke only a little heavily accented English when he broke into professional football. “I keek a touchdown!” he supposedly exclaimed after a successful kick.

In his Miami years, Yepremian sold neckties, some made in his basement — “wide, wild and woolly ones, with bright, abstract patterns that remind you of the kind of visions people must have on acid trips,” as Judy Klemesrud of The New York Times wrote in 1972.

Yepremian’s wife, Maritza, was a co-founder of the cancer-research foundation, and a son, Garo Jr., is actively involved, according to the organization’s website. Information on other survivors was not immediately available.

Shula has always been able to laugh about the miscue. Still, he organized a special drill in training camp the season afterward, as he told the A.P.

“We had holder Earl Morrall let the ball slip through his fingers,” Shula said. “I yelled at Garo, ‘Fall on it! Fall on it!’ ” This time, he did.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/sports/football/garo-yepremian-70-dies-his-kicks-outshined-a-pass.html?_r=0

cdcox
05-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Never trust a keeker. RIP

Rain Man
05-16-2015, 09:57 PM
(Long, long pause while I remember the most disappointing Christmas of my childhood.)

(Another long pause.)

(A third long pause.)

Rest in peace.

RJ
05-16-2015, 09:59 PM
He was a good keeker. RIP, Garo. Thanks for the memories, even the bad ones.

milkman
05-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Did someone play a longer game than that '71 playoff game that I missed?

Rain Man
05-16-2015, 10:14 PM
Did someone play a longer game than that '71 playoff game that I missed?

Yeah, that's a strange statement in the article. It's still the longest game.

BlackHelicopters
05-17-2015, 05:26 AM
Still remember Christmas 1971. Anyway, RIP.

Hoopsdoc
05-17-2015, 05:44 AM
Was he one of the old school, straight ahead kickers?

TEX
05-17-2015, 07:27 AM
That pass he made in the Super Bowl from that botched kick, was better than some of Matt Casel's...:shake:

But damn - I STILL remember the Christmas Day game...:(

RIP Garo.

Kman34
05-17-2015, 07:45 AM
I hate kickers but I will give my respects to Mr Yepremian...RIP... Thanks for the fucking delay in opening my presents at my grandmas and congrats for kicking the winning fucking FG in that game...ROFL

Seriously I hope the Garo Yepremian Foundation for Brain Tumor Research does wonderful things...

rockymtnchief
05-17-2015, 09:17 AM
Sadly, that Christmas game was the day I became a Chiefs fan.

R.I.P. Garo.

gblowfish
05-17-2015, 09:26 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't feel too badly about this. Just being honest.

srvy
05-17-2015, 09:43 AM

Nope.

RIP Garo was never mad at you because you did your job. As for Janski never he chocked.

Bob Dole
05-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Nope.

RIP Garo was never mad at you because you did your job. As for Janski never he chocked.

English translation, please.

srvy
05-17-2015, 11:52 AM
English translation, please.

Translation is

nlm Miami Dolphins and nlm Jan Stenerud

penchief
05-17-2015, 11:59 AM

R.I.P. Garo.

Me, too. And my first day as a football fan. Ten years old at my grandma's and all my uncles were rooting for Miami. The chiefs needed representing in the house so I took up the cause.

Also, watching Ed Podolak made me want to play running back. For me, that game started a lifelong love of football and the chiefs.

RIP...

Rain Man
05-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Here's a cool piece of trivia. Garo Yepremian was the last NFL player to not have a facemask on his helmet. He made a few games into the 1966 season with the Lions before Lombardi's Packers convinced him that it was a good idea to have one.

Here's an old ESPN article that mentions it: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/6628/face-of-the-nfl-is-gone-an-ode-to-the-single-bar

MatriculatingHank
05-17-2015, 08:46 PM
A day that will live in infamy. (December 25, 1971 that is)
Damn you Jan Stenerud. :mad:

Predarat
05-18-2015, 09:05 AM
He broke my heart before I was born, he passed away a shutout in the Superbowl, now he has passed away forever. RIP.

scho63
05-18-2015, 12:42 PM
(Long, long pause while I remember the most disappointing Christmas of my childhood.)

(Another long pause.)

(A third long pause.)

Rest in peace.

ME TOO! :banghead:

Still remember Christmas 1971. Anyway, RIP.

WILL NEVER FORGET THAT DAY OR GAME AS AN 8 YEAR FAN :deevee:

I believe he may have been one of if not the FIRST soccer style kickers in the NFL :hmmm:

R.I.P. Garo.

I was just a few years into being a fan and I cried all day at the dinner table after we lost. :shake:

I'm sorry, but I can't feel too badly about this. Just being honest.

As much as I hate Garo for beating us, I hate Jan Stenerud much more for missing THREE chip shots that would have put us in the Super Bowl. That guy is WORSE than the kicker that shall be nameless and live in infamy!

A day that will live in infamy. (December 25, 1971 that is)
Damn you Jan Stenerud. :mad:

AGREED, AGREED, AGREED, AND AGREED! Jan Stenerud deserves to be raped by a dolphin while swimming in the Atlantic Ocean while on vacation.

He broke my heart before I was born, he passed away a shutout in the Superbowl, now he has passed away forever. RIP.

This is cool finale for him!