PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Installing an audio system for the first time in 20 years, need some help...

MTG#10
05-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Im installing a cheap system in my new (2011 but new to me) F150 because the factory system is garbage. Ive already installed four new door speakers (Infinity 682.11cf) and Im doing the head unit, amp, and sub this weekend.

My head unit is this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KRLICIE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00) Jensen, I went with this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S4XNEO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01) cheap Boss amp, and this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036MOQCM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) 12" Kicker.

I used to install systems in my own vehicles and my friends' a lot when I was younger so I know what Im doing for the most part but this head unit has something Ive never seen before, a dedicated single sub out plug, a pair of front RCA plugs, and a pair of back RCA plugs.

So how would I go about connecting the head unit to the amp? The amp has normal left and right RCA inputs. Since Im only running one sub, and no amp to my door speakers I'd assume the sub out plug on my head unit is what I'd use but its just one single plug...do they make a converter or would I just plug it into either the right or the left?

Any help/advice appreciated!

MTG#10
05-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Heh, just saw the other car audio thread...guess I should have just put this in there.

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Q? LOL!

BigMeatballDave
05-28-2015, 09:55 AM
I didn't realize Jensen was still in business.

They made great 6x9s back in the day.

In 89 I had a 69 Nova with a Craig and 2 Jensens in the rear deck.

Cranking out the Pour Some Sugar on me!

Yes, I had a mullet.

:)

http://home.earthlink.net/~djdanwilson/images/16192radio_2.jpg

MTG#10
05-28-2015, 10:01 AM
After further research, apparently the sub out plug, front and rear rca plugs, and even a video plug I didnt notice are supposed to go to an AV system which I dont have. No clue which ones Im supposed to use to just hook up to a regular amp/sub.

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 10:04 AM
What model is the Jensen?

MTG#10
05-28-2015, 10:07 AM
VX7020. Im thinking I need to get a splitter to run from the sub out to the RCA jacks on the sub.

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 10:11 AM
VX7020. Im thinking I need to get a splitter to run from the sub out to the RCA jacks on the sub.

Let me check and see

Demonpenz
05-28-2015, 10:15 AM
I would have a pro put them in our expect a fire or battery to be dead soon.

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Front / Rear / Sub RCA 6V Line out

It has what you need to run multiple amps.

BigMeatballDave
05-28-2015, 10:18 AM
Sweet! I want this set-up! http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/8-track-Car-Decks/CRAIG%203133%204%20Channel%208%20Track%20Player%20with%20FM%20Radio.jpg

MTG#10
05-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Front / Rear / Sub RCA 6V Line out

It has what you need to run multiple amps.

Correct, but the Sub RCA is a single plug. So I would need a splitter to run it to my sub amp L and R RCA's wouldn't I? Or would simply running it to either the R or L be just fine?

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Correct, but the Sub RCA is a single plug. So I would need a splitter to run it to my sub amp L and R RCA's wouldn't I? Or would simply running it to either the R or L be just fine?
Yeah if it is just a single out then you would need a splitter, otherwise only one sub would work on the channel you have it plugged into.

Get a single male to dual female RCA plug and you will be okay.

Like one of these

http://www.cableleader.com/6in-rca-male-to-2-rca-female-audio-cable.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw-ZqrBRDt_KjhjcbzhhISJAAlRGvlhaMWQdaiFAyYzPEFptStN-WO3DmDZ--RVg9wB-woXRoCK3Pw_wcB

MTG#10
05-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Yeah if it is just a single out then you would need a splitter, otherwise only one sub would work on the channel you have it plugged into.

Get a single male to dual female RCA plug and you will be okay.

Like one of these

http://www.cableleader.com/6in-rca-male-to-2-rca-female-audio-cable.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw-ZqrBRDt_KjhjcbzhhISJAAlRGvlhaMWQdaiFAyYzPEFptStN-WO3DmDZ--RVg9wB-woXRoCK3Pw_wcB

That's what I figured. I am only running one sub, the amp is designed for one sub but Im going to get a splitter anyway just to be safe. Thanks.

C-Mac
05-28-2015, 11:32 AM
That's what I figured. I am only running one sub, the amp is designed for one sub but Im going to get a splitter anyway just to be safe. Thanks.

Some amps have a mono input option.

EDIT: After further review your amp is a mono amp, you only need the one input. It only has one channel even though it shows 2 inputs.
Its basically half an amp.

Ming the Merciless
05-28-2015, 11:37 AM
use duct tape

and here i got you a diagram, since you are such an awesome guy

http://assets.blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2014/09/underdash_wiring_mess.jpg

Ming the Merciless
05-28-2015, 11:41 AM
i marked everything with blue tape for you because youre special

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/96%20Talon%20TSI%20AWD/Wire%20Tuck/100_0208.jpg

Eleazar
05-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Sweet! I want this set-up! http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/8-track-Car-Decks/CRAIG%203133%204%20Channel%208%20Track%20Player%20with%20FM%20Radio.jpg

I think I see an iPod connector. Sweet!

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 11:53 AM
what is the amp model and brand?

MTG#10
05-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Some amps have a mono input option.

EDIT: After further review your amp is a mono amp, you only need the one input. It only has one channel even though it shows 2 inputs.
Its basically half an amp.

Interesting. So I dont need a splitter, just run one RCA to either the left or right channel?

what is the amp model and brand?

Boss R1100M

i marked everything with blue tape for you because youre special

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/96%20Talon%20TSI%20AWD/Wire%20Tuck/100_0208.jpg

LMAO

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 07:41 PM
IF it has 2 RCA inputs i would probably just run the splitter anyway... IF not, then just run one RCA to it...

But my guess is it has 2 RCA and its a single channel amp.. to be on the safe side I would run 2 if the amp accepts it.

notorious
05-28-2015, 07:58 PM
A lot of cheap amps don't sum the channels of one input, meaning that it will only amplify 1/2 as much if you only plug in to one RCA.

When my friends had a cheap amp, and wanted it to get loud and not much else I would just splice off of their rear speaker wires and run into the high inputs of the amp.

High voltage=Louder (even though it sounds like shit when abused)

Besides, cheap head units put out shit for voltage from their RCA outputs.

Try the RCA's, but if it's not enough run speaker wire from the rear channels directly into the high-level inputs of the amp.

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Good point Notorious... I totally forgot about the high sides of the amp... Havent used those in decades...

notorious
05-28-2015, 08:11 PM
Good point Notorious... I totally forgot about the high sides of the amp... Havent used those in decades...

My first stereo when I was 14 years old consisted of a Pioneer FM modulated changer running through the factory radio and high-level inputs feeding a Sony 240 watt amp bumping a Pioneer 12.

God it was great back then until the 20 year old senior pulled up in his T-Top Camero with 2 Cerwin Vega 15's driven by a Fosgate amp.

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 08:16 PM
My first stereo when I was 14 years old consisted of a Pioneer FM modulated changer running through the factory radio and high-level inputs feeding a Sony 240 watt amp bumping a Pioneer 12.

God it was great back then until the 20 year old senior pulled up in his T-Top Camero with 2 Cerwin Vega 15's driven by a Fosgate amp.

Mine was pioneer tape deck with a lanzar 250 watt amp on two off brand 12s cant even remember the name of them...

It all got stolen.... So I got an insurance check and bought a killer pioneer deck, jvc passive eq, 4 JVC 5,25s, two crunch 12s and a mtx amp.. still have the amp....

My shit was legit after that,, Very few could touch it in a 1983 nissan pulsar... It bumped hard....

C-Mac
05-28-2015, 08:54 PM
Interesting. So I dont need a splitter, just run one RCA to either the left or right channel?

No you shouldn't.
It's a single channel amp, therefore there it is only a "right" channel or "mono" meaning 1 channel.

2 inputs would have no purpose on a mono channel amp other than for someone using a standard stereo output set of RCA's, would then be "Y" 'd internally.

As for Notoruis comment, indeed using the high input will give you more gain but you will get a lot more distortion thru the amp of the radio.

Reerun_KC
05-28-2015, 09:18 PM
C-mac is probably right, I have never used a mono block before. I used class d for my sub's. So disregard my input on the amp.

C-Mac
05-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Another note, you bought a good subwoofer but it's too bad you didn't get a DVC 4 ohm or SVC 2 ohm, it would have doubled the power out of your amp.

notorious
05-28-2015, 09:46 PM
C-mac is probably right, I have never used a mono block before. I used class d for my sub's. So disregard my input on the amp.

Depends on the amp. Even if it's mono it still might need both voltage inputs to make full power.

notorious
05-28-2015, 10:04 PM
1100 watts for $48.95?

That thing would smoke my old 18x2 Phoenix Gold amp.

C-Mac
05-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Depends on the amp. Even if it's mono it still might need both voltage inputs to make full power.

Technically you could get minor gain if he had dual(stereo) RCA' outputs, but he has 1 single RCA subout from his radio, so splitting it would not increase the input power in a parallel circuit.

MTG#10
05-29-2015, 05:51 AM
I went cheap on purpose, I don't need a booming system, just a little more thump than my door speakers provide. Plus everything I bought has great reviews. I'm guessing I'm probably gonna want to get a smaller amp for my Infinitis too but I just don't feel like running all new speaker wire right now.

Reerun_KC
05-29-2015, 06:18 AM
1100 watts for $48.95?

That thing would smoke my old 18x2 Phoenix Gold amp.
The Audison AV 5.1k is costing me $1199+ shipping.

75x2 class a front
140x2 class a/b rear
1000x1 class d sub @ w 2 ohms

C-Mac
05-29-2015, 08:48 AM
I went cheap on purpose, I don't need a booming system, just a little more thump than my door speakers provide. Plus everything I bought has great reviews. I'm guessing I'm probably gonna want to get a smaller amp for my Infinitis too but I just don't feel like running all new speaker wire right now.

You wouldn't have to run all new speaker wire to each speaker, you can just run leads from the amp to behind the head unit and connect there.
If you do get an a 4 channel amp, using the crossover filter on the 4 Infinity speakers would really clean up the whole system.

MTG#10
05-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Need help quick, as my dash is in pieces...

I have a 2011 F150 XLT with the most basic stereo system I believe. No SYNC, no Sony, just the crap stock setup with CD player.

Im trying to upgrade to a Jensen VX7020 but Im not getting any power. Ive checked all fuses, double checked my wiring everything is right but the damn thing wont turn on.

The only wiring harness I could find that fit my truck is the Metra 70-5520. It plugs right in, but there is a second wiring harness that was going to my factory unit...the one on the right in this pic:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2lxxzpv.jpg

I have no idea what that second harness is for, and I have nothing to plug it in to.

The only other thing I can think of is my aftermarket unit has a DVD player and GPS and you're supposed to wire it to the parking brake so that you cant watch movies while you're driving. I have read many different places that all you have to do to get around that is ground the wire so I did. Not really so I could watch movies while driving, but because Im lazy and didnt want to try to find the parking brake wire.

Any suggestions?

SAUTO
05-29-2015, 05:40 PM
My first system was a Kenwood KAC. 901 a pioneer detachable cassette deck and two super blue 15s.

SAUTO
05-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Check for power on that other connector, can't see your pic though

stevieray
05-29-2015, 05:46 PM

I have a 2011 F150 XLT with the most basic stereo system I believe. No SYNC, no Sony, just the crap stock setup with CD player.

Im trying to upgrade to a Jensen VX7020 but Im not getting any power. Ive checked all fuses, double checked my wiring everything is right but the damn thing wont turn on.

The only wiring harness I could find that fit my truck is the Metra 70-5520. It plugs right in, but there is a second wiring harness that was going to my factory unit...the one on the right in this pic:

I have no idea what that second harness is for, and I have nothing to plug it in to.

The only other thing I can think of is my aftermarket unit has a DVD player and GPS and you're supposed to wire it to the parking brake so that you cant watch movies while you're driving. I have read many different places that all you have to do to get around that is ground the wire so I did. Not really so I could watch movies while driving, but because Im lazy and didnt want to try to find the parking brake wire.

Any suggestions?
most power sources are certain colors...what colrs on the secondary?

KC native
05-29-2015, 05:49 PM

Any suggestions?

The one on the right may be the car's notification sounds and tie into the computer.

My caddy had two harnesses like that. I didn't have a space for the second one. My head unit still worked though. It just didn't play any of the door dings, key in ignition, lights left on notifications.

SAUTO
05-29-2015, 05:52 PM
Some of those second plugs are if you have steering wheel radio controls also

SAUTO
05-29-2015, 05:53 PM
most power sources are certain colors...what colrs on the secondary?

Not anymore...

stevieray
05-29-2015, 05:53 PM
here's what I did..four channel with bulit in cross overs...see that top set of rca's? goes to 2 channel amp above...allowed 2 amps on two sets of rcas from the head unit

MTG#10
05-29-2015, 05:54 PM
The one on the right may be the car's notification sounds and tie into the computer.

My caddy had two harnesses like that. I didn't have a space for the second one. My head unit still worked though. It just didn't play any of the door dings, key in ignition, lights left on notifications.

Only GM vehicles have that, Fords dont. I'll update with wire colors, but I have no way to check power at the moment...my ammeter doesnt work.

MTG#10
05-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Some of those second plugs are if you have steering wheel radio controls also

I dont

KC native
05-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Only GM vehicles have that, Fords dont. I'll update with wire colors, but I have no way to check power at the moment...my ammeter doesnt work.

Look for little inline fuses on the wires.

SAUTO
05-29-2015, 06:01 PM

Not that I've even seen on factory.

SAUTO
05-29-2015, 06:02 PM

Everyone should own a five dollar test light.

Hell my new one cost 400 I think. And I still use the 5 dollar one sometimes

KC native
05-29-2015, 06:05 PM
Not that I've even seen on factory.

Just throwing out suggestions. I think I've seen one car with factory but I could be wrong. I haven't installed a head unit in almost 10 years.

KC native
05-29-2015, 06:06 PM

And I own one.

SAUTO
05-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Just throwing out suggestions. I think I've seen one car with factory but I could be wrong. I haven't installed a head unit in almost 10 years.

No worries dude. we are all just throwing shit out here.

MTG#10
05-29-2015, 06:19 PM

On my way to walmart to get one now. I think I may need to just tap into another hot wire.

Reerun_KC
05-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Just some pictures of my deck install today at lunch.

Only took about 45 min to complete the install including running Sirius and mic for phone...

SAUTO
05-29-2015, 06:36 PM
On my way to walmart to get one now. I think I may need to just tap into another hot wire.

Gonna need a constant and a keyed.

HonestChieffan
05-29-2015, 07:02 PM
I didn't realize Jensen was still in business.

They made great 6x9s back in the day.

In 89 I had a 69 Nova with a Craig and 2 Jensens in the rear deck.

Cranking out the Pour Some Sugar on me!

Yes, I had a mullet.

:)

http://home.earthlink.net/~djdanwilson/images/16192radio_2.jpg

Did you hang a CB under the dash?

MTG#10
05-29-2015, 07:48 PM
Gonna need a constant and a keyed.

I figured it out, the ignition wire on the aftermarket wiring harness goes to nothing. So If I hook it up to the constant power I'll just have to remember to turn it off. Only problem is there is no power button on the head unit and the remote for it doesn't work for some reason. So I have to find a keyed hot wire, this is really becoming a pain in the ass.

Also the right rear speaker doesnt work for some unknown reason, it worked just fine with the factory head unit.

SAUTO
05-29-2015, 08:06 PM
Your adapter is a piece of shit is the conclusion I'm at.

I've ran into that before.

Reerun_KC
05-29-2015, 08:15 PM
I am having trouble enabling TuneIT on the Alpine.... Notorious you around?

notorious
05-29-2015, 08:49 PM
I am having trouble enabling TuneIT on the Alpine.... Notorious you around?

WTF is TuneIT?

MTG#10
05-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Your adapter is a piece of shit is the conclusion I'm at.

I've ran into that before.

Yes, yes it is. It was the culprit in the right rear speaker problem as well. Its all situated now.

Reerun_KC
05-29-2015, 10:16 PM
WTF is TuneIT?

App on your phone you can adjust all aspects of the eqs timing etc then apply it via blue tooth from your phone

Reerun_KC
05-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Got it working it's pretty slick you should YouTube it

SAUTO
05-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Yes, yes it is. It was the culprit in the right rear speaker problem as well. Its all situated now.

The speaker issue hit a nerve, I had one of those fuckers that every wire but 2 were in the wrong hole. Right car on the box and it plugged right in

C-Mac
05-30-2015, 07:09 AM
I figured it out, the ignition wire on the aftermarket wiring harness goes to nothing. So If I hook it up to the constant power I'll just have to remember to turn it off. Only problem is there is no power button on the head unit and the remote for it doesn't work for some reason. So I have to find a keyed hot wire, this is really becoming a pain in the ass.

Also the right rear speaker doesnt work for some unknown reason, it worked just fine with the factory head unit.

The other plug is likely for for option items like a sync, subwoofer, rear seat entertainment, auxiliary devices, etc.

The reason you won't find +12v from the factory radio harness is because the computer/BUS has it ground relay switched internally in the factory radio.

You just need to search out an ignition source with a test light and tap on.

Those pins on the aftermarket harnesses aren't always seated and can get pushed up instead of in.

MahiMike
05-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Man so much has changed in the sound world. I bought speakers online for my BMW and they sucked ass. This after I cut holes in the doors to fit them in.

I gave the car to my son and he had a big ass bass put in the trunk. That was the missing link. Problem is, these audio places don't know how to work with the existing wiring harnesses so he has to put in a ridiculous off brand stereo to get it to work. Didn't work with the steering wheel controls anymore. Dumb.

Think it would have been better to just buy a boom box and put it in the back seat.

notorious
05-30-2015, 12:00 PM
Turn on car, and pull fuses until the radio shuts off.

Track wire back to radio and splice.

MTG#10
06-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Ok like I suspected I definitely need another amp for my door speakers.

Looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6HYBG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1SX1R00E2EUMR

Is it ok to tap into the remote wire from my other amp? I'd also like to tap into the power wire too but its only an 8 gauge so Im guessing that probably wouldn't be a good idea...

stevieray
06-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Ok like I suspected I definitely need another amp for my door speakers.

Looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6HYBG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1SX1R00E2EUMR

Is it ok to tap into the remote wire from my other amp? I'd also like to tap into the power wire too but its only an 8 gauge so Im guessing that probably wouldn't be a good idea...

run a wire to a dual fuse box and then run power to both amps...

MTG#10
06-08-2015, 09:26 AM
I already have my first amp hooked up and its power is running straight to the battery. I'll probably just end up running another one alongside it from my new amp.

Reerun_KC
06-08-2015, 09:54 AM
The fosgate is a good amp. you wont be disappointed...