PDA

View Full Version : Books National Spelling Bee Winners from KC and St. Louis

ChiefsCountry
05-28-2015, 10:20 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article22577202.html

Crazy that Kansas City and St. Louis produced the winners. I mean we here at CP know Olathe is greatest city in the country where the weather is always 72 and sunny.

Silock
05-28-2015, 10:27 PM
Olathe, #CityofChampions

Hootie
05-28-2015, 10:29 PM
The dude was impressive. They'd give him the word and he skipped all the semantics and just banged it out. Juggernaut

salame
05-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Olathe is awfully nice

In58men
05-28-2015, 11:33 PM
Only competition KC is good at.............is a ****ing spelling bee ROFL

No TimBone my comment isn't considered hijacking just in case you didn't know. It's relevant to the topic. Hopefully you understand what "hijacking" means now

cosmo20002
05-29-2015, 12:41 AM
It's like two little junior livesteams, plus intelligence and spelling ability, minus the insatiable meth appetite.

BWillie
05-29-2015, 05:44 AM
Taught that kid all he knows, mang

Tribal Warfare
05-29-2015, 05:57 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article22577202.html

Crazy that Kansas City and St. Louis produced the winners. I mean we here at CP know Olathe is greatest city in the country where the weather is always 72 and sunny.

It appeared that they're of Arabic descent too

WhawhaWhat
05-29-2015, 06:52 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">always fun watching 12 yr olds spell the hardest words in our language and then realizing how many adults pluralize words with &quot; &#39;s &quot;</p>&mdash; Brandon McCarthy (@BMcCarthy32) <a href="https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/604175204324007936">May 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reerun_KC
05-29-2015, 06:56 AM
always fun watching 12 yr olds spell the hardest words in our language and then realizing how many adults pluralize words with " 's "
— Brandon McCarthy (@BMcCarthy32) May 29, 2015 (https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/604175204324007936)
<SCRIPT charset=utf-8 src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" async></SCRIPT>

Like our own Jarred Lorenzen sized fat QB Chase Daniels?

TimBone
05-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Like our own Jarred Lorenzen sized fat QB Chase Daniels?
Chase Daniel's

RollChiefsRoll
05-29-2015, 07:20 AM
Shivashankar?

More like SHIVA KAMINI SOMA KANDARKRAAAAAM.

cosmo20002
05-29-2015, 07:31 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">always fun watching 12 yr olds spell the hardest words in our language and then realizing how many adults pluralize words with &quot; &#39;s &quot;</p>&mdash; Brandon McCarthy (@BMcCarthy32) <a href="https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/604175204324007936">May 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Those little speller's...there the real hero's.

/livesteam

srvy
05-29-2015, 07:50 AM
:banghead:

The Scripps Spelling Bee is not a sport, the event does not belong on ESPN (In prime-time... During baseball season), and kids spelling words I'd never use in a sentence should not be two of the Top Ten Plays of the day.

RollChiefsRoll
05-29-2015, 07:54 AM

The Scripps Spelling Bee is not a sport, the event does not belong on ESPN (In prime-time... During baseball season), and kids spelling words I'd never use in a sentence should not be two of the Top Ten Plays of the day.

Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, man. Those little spellers are entertainment.

KCTitus
05-29-2015, 08:02 AM

Actually the spelling bee is more interesting than baseball...it's sure as shit better than college softball.

Warrior5
05-29-2015, 08:06 AM
It appeared that they're of Arabic descent too

I was thinking India or Pakistan.

BWillie
05-29-2015, 08:29 AM
Actually the spelling bee is more interesting than baseball...it's sure as shit better than college softball.

No. No it is not. If it was, it would be on more than once a year.

KCTitus
05-29-2015, 08:34 AM
No. No it is not. If it was, it would be on more than once a year.

I disagree with your logic. By your logic, baseball is more interesting than the superbowl due to its frequency. I disagree.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-29-2015, 08:40 AM
Good. They beat the little cheating shits from Boston.

srvy
05-29-2015, 09:02 AM
I was thinking India or Pakistan.

That is a East Indian name. A Dot not a feather.

srvy
05-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Good. They beat the little cheating shits from Boston.

:LOL:

srvy
05-29-2015, 09:05 AM
I disagree with your logic. By your logic, baseball is more interesting than the superbowl due to its frequency. I disagree.

If your team is winning baseball is anything but boring.

Hootie
05-29-2015, 09:09 AM
don't know what to tell you guys

I accidentally caught the very end

but the dude who spelled the 21st and 23rd championship word was as impressive as anything I've seen in sports this year LMAO

21st : "does that word come from blah blah blah" "Yes" "rattles it off without hesitation"

23rd: The word is 'whatever the word is'

Without thinking or hesitating, he just rattles the spelling off (mind you, this is TO WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP FOR BOTH OF THEM) without asking for a definition, part of speech, another pronunciation, ANYTHING ... just rattles it off as soon as it's said

...never seen that before

while the girl, who I'm sure knew the spelling the entire time, too, was very meticulous in having them use the word in a sentence, getting the part of speech, alternate pronunciations, language of origin, etc...

the dude was a juggernaut ... it was fascinating

KCTitus
05-29-2015, 09:11 AM
If your team is winning baseball is anything but boring.

Oh...I see the problem, one has to have a team to find the sport interesting. Makes sense.

srvy
05-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Oh...I see the problem, one has to have a team to find the sport interesting. Makes sense.

No dont mean that at all. I ask you this did you watch any of the run up to the championship? Could you watch a spelling bee through a 165 game season? I admire those kids and really think its wonderful what they can do because I cant spell a lick. But I see all I want to see on the news.

KCTitus
05-29-2015, 09:43 AM
No dont mean that at all. I ask you this did you watch any of the run up to the championship? Could you watch a spelling bee through a 165 game season? I admire those kids and really think its wonderful what they can do because I cant spell a lick. But I see all I want to see on the news.

No, matter of fact, I actually tried to watch a few of the WS games and I managed to watch a couple of innings before I began channel surfing and never went back. I find it remarkably uninteresting to the point that something unusual, like a spelling bee or water polo holds my interest longer.

Hootie
05-29-2015, 09:45 AM
I find politics and religion to be remarkably uninteresting but I understand that people have different tastes. I like watching baseball. Some people don't. Meh.

KCTitus
05-29-2015, 09:48 AM
I find politics and religion to be remarkably uninteresting but I understand that people have different tastes. I like watching baseball. Some people don't. Meh.

Mark me in the 'dont' category, if I didnt already make that clear...

Hootie
05-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Mark me in the 'dont' category, if I didnt already make that clear...

already did

just saying, I'm sure there are things you thoroughly enjoy (maybe fishing?) that I'd rather kill myself than do ... but I understand that fishing is super fun for people

KCTitus
05-29-2015, 09:53 AM
already did

just saying, I'm sure there are things you thoroughly enjoy (maybe fishing?) that I'd rather kill myself than do ... but I understand that fishing is super fun for people

LOL...fishing? No, right there with you. No, my sport that everyone loves to hate is soccer. I remember the world cup thread...and I try not to do the same in the baseball threads out of respect, even though 2/3rds of the front page of this forum is littered with it, but I digress.

**edit** for those that like to grade my posts like a book report, the '2/3' quote is not a scientific calculation, but hyperbolic to reflect the frequency of baseball threads on a football forum**

Hootie
05-29-2015, 09:55 AM
I enjoy soccer, too. Though, they would do better in the US if they took a page out of hockey's book and opened up scoring a bit.

Dragonocho
05-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Any truth Nebraska's contestant was knocked out in the name-tag stage?

KCTitus
05-29-2015, 10:23 AM
I enjoy soccer, too. Though, they would do better in the US if they took a page out of hockey's book and opened up scoring a bit.

I used to be there...but the low scoring doesnt bother me as much as it used to. I rather enjoyed ManU's last game against Hull and it ended 0-0.

srvy
05-29-2015, 11:07 AM
LOL...fishing? No, right there with you. No, my sport that everyone loves to hate is soccer. I remember the world cup thread...and I try not to do the same in the baseball threads out of respect, even though 2/3rds of the front page of this forum is littered with it, but I digress.

**edit** for those that like to grade my posts like a book report, the '2/3' quote is not a scientific calculation, but hyperbolic to reflect the frequency of baseball threads on a football forum**

My Dad friend was Armenian I believe they worked together at TWA. Well this was late 60s or and The Kansas City Spurs of the North American Soccer league were here. Dads friend was a assistant coach yea worked and coached a pro team. Well he would give Dad free ticket to come see the Spurs and also invited to watch practice. It ws so boring my brother and I would have been happy to stay home and melt ants with a magnifying glass. I was never so happy as when they disbanded because Dad didn't have the heart to tell his friend it sucked.

Oh and I got to see the best soccer player ever Pele' when he was with the NY Cosmo's are something like that.

ChiefsCountry
05-29-2015, 11:19 AM

You do realize that ESPN can't just show a MLB game any day of the week.

KCTitus
05-29-2015, 11:22 AM
My Dad friend was Armenian I believe they worked together at TWA. Well this was late 60s or and The Kansas City Spurs of the North American Soccer league were here. Dads friend was a assistant coach yea worked and coached a pro team. Well he would give Dad free ticket to come see the Spurs and also invited to watch practice. It ws so boring my brother and I would have been happy to stay home and melt ants with a magnifying glass. I was never so happy as when they disbanded because Dad didn't have the heart to tell his friend it sucked.

Oh and I got to see the best soccer player ever Pele' when he was with the NY Cosmo's are something like that.

As a young soccer fan in the late 70's/early 80's, I was more enamored with the indoor soccer at the time. I barely remember NASL, and I dont ever remember KC having a local franchise.

Im not too big on MLS or American soccer as a whole, it's too slow...since you're a baseball guy, think of it as being a 'AA' fan versus a MLB fan. I they're really not the same thing. I consider the european leagues like MLB and MLS like womens college softball.

srvy
05-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Well I lost enthusiasm for Baseball with the strike and the the juiced ball (steroid) years. But I have slowly came back with DM and this team.

KCTitus
05-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Well I lost enthusiasm for Baseball with the strike and the the juiced ball (steroid) years. But I have slowly came back with DM and this team.

Yep, I just never came back.

Garcia Bronco
05-29-2015, 02:44 PM

I know...especially with only a thousand baseball games left

Garcia Bronco
05-29-2015, 02:45 PM

baseball has always been on "juice" since the 50's and before that the got drunk during the games.