PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Article on Hali and Ford

CarlPeterson_fan
05-30-2015, 11:57 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/5/27/8672067/dee-ford-kansas-city-chiefs-tamba-hali

Can Dee Ford help the Kansas City Chiefs keep Tamba Hali fresh?
By MNchiefsfan  @RealMNchiefsfan on May 27, 2015, 3:02p 250

John Rieger-USA TODAY Sports
 TWEET (2) SHARE PIN
Another day (ish), another Chiefs mailbag. Let me take a moment to compliment all of you. You've been fantastic. A real treat. I've got more mailbag questions than I know what to do with, and all of them are a blast to write about. So hats off to you. You're the real champions. More pandering statements.

Let's mailbag. As always, send questions to @RealMNchiefsfan. Or don't, because I've got a ton already and am having a tough time keeping up with you people.

I don't know if Hali really got worn down last year. He's a guy who keeps himself in good shape and works harder than anyone else on the team. Part of Hali's statistical "downslide" last year was Houston going on a tear and getting to quarterbacks before Hali did (or Hali chasing guys toward the rest of the pass rushers).

However, there IS a benefit to being able to spell someone occasionally. Hali will be turning 32 years old in November. Even the most disciplined athlete is going to feel the effects of Father Time, and there have been plenty of "he's playing nicked up" whispers about Hali over the last several years (often something that comes with age).

If Ford is able to spell Hali on occasion, that COULD theoretically keep him fresh throughout games and through the 4th Quarter (all players, even guys like Dontari Poe, get worn down as a game goes along if they're playing every snap). Being just as explosive in the late 4th as you are in the 1st is a big, big deal.

However, I'm not sure the plan is to consistently put Ford on the field in place of Hali. They obviously value Hali's services enough to keep him around, and as has been talked about recently, there ARE ways to get Houston, Hali, and Ford on the field at the same time often enough to give Ford some meaningful snaps.

A great deal of this is going to depend on Ford. If he flashes enough improvement in his overall game in camp, Bob Sutton is going to find a way to use him. I imagine at least some of that will be as a sub for Hali in certain situations. And if Hali is willing to accept that and roll with it (and frankly, I think it's doubtful he'll be anything but pure class about it if it helps the team win. He's amazing like that) it could absolutely help the team down the stretch.

Our own wonderful new hotshot contributor stagdsp did a fantastic writeup on these two, which can be read here. He covers the strengths and weaknesses of both guys better than I ever could in this limited space.

I like both prospects as guys who could develop, so if I had a choice I'd say keep both. However, as this question eliminates that option I'm forced to choose. And if I'm FORCED, I'd go with Wilson.

While Wilson is not as explosive as Alexander is on tape (he certainly doesn't hit with the same kind of "oomph"), he seems to have a better feel for the game. I saw Alexander get turned around by fakes a few too many times, with his aggressiveness being taken advantage of. That's interesting, because Wilson plays a little too cautious if anything. If only mind melds were an actual thing...

Anyway, I'm not a person who counts on mid-to-late round picks blossoming into Pro Bowl players. Yes, it happens. But what I'm looking for is a guy who is the most likely to become a contributor. Of the two, that's definitely Wilson based on the limited film available. He's not as flashy, but he gets to the ball and gets the job done.

Again, though, I like both based on what I've seen so far and reserve the option to completely change my mind 15 times by the time we're done with training camp.

In58men
05-30-2015, 12:01 PM
The Dee Ford pick is starting to grow on me more and more. Great article and towards the end of the season he really came through. I can see him being a beast next season.

NJChiefsFan
05-30-2015, 12:14 PM
I've been among those that have never been worried about the Dee Ford pick. Or maybe more specifically, about Dee Ford himself and ignoring the lack of immediate impact from a first round pick. I like what I have seen of him so far.

In58men
05-30-2015, 12:30 PM
I've been among those that have never been worried about the Dee Ford pick. Or maybe more specifically, about Dee Ford himself and ignoring the lack of immediate impact from a first round pick. I like what I have seen of him so far.

I don't expect much from rookies who get drafted after the 10th pick their rookie year. For some reason I usually give them more time. I strongly believe the first 10 picks should have an immediate impact. Everybody has their own views though.

Deberg_1990
05-30-2015, 12:36 PM
I don't expect much from rookies who get drafted after the 10th pick their rookie year. For some reason I usually give them more time. I strongly believe the first 10 picks should have an immediate impact. Everybody has their own views though.

I pretty much agree with this.

But I also believe every draft is its own thing. Teams are limited by the crop. Some crops are bad and some are good.

2013 was a bad crop overall

Kman34
05-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Hopefully he has put on some weight...Saw him standing next to Houston and he looked small next to him... Can't beat everybody with the speed rush to the outside...

Shaid
05-30-2015, 12:46 PM
I like to see some solid gains in year 2 but I generally give it until year 3 before I put too much on what a player is worth. We saw Houston flash towards the end of year one and I was ready to sign him to a long term contract after year 2. Ford hasn't had as much opportunity as Houston did so we just don't know for sure what we have yet but I've definitely seen flashes.

In58men
05-30-2015, 12:53 PM
Hopefully he has put on some weight...Saw him standing next to Houston and he looked small next to him... Can't beat everybody with the speed rush to the outside...

You might give me flack because this guy only played one season, but Chris Borland wasn't that big at all. I'm just saying I don't see the need for him to get any bigger.

Dante84
05-30-2015, 01:25 PM

Tell daddy more about what you want

Kman34
05-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Tell daddy more about what you want

Get that bad look off your face...I'm not a QB...LMAO

Halfcan
05-30-2015, 02:12 PM
.....there ARE ways to get Houston, Hali, and Ford on the field at the same time often enough to give Ford some meaningful snaps.

I hope so!! Poe, DJ, Hali and Houston-this D could be great!!

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-30-2015, 06:49 PM
If only we could find a way to add Watts and Clowney, we could be awesome.

CarlPeterson_fan
05-31-2015, 09:12 AM
I never imagined that Hali would even be part of the equation this year. I'm so glad that he restructured to stay a Chief. He's truly a team player.

penbrook
05-31-2015, 09:31 AM
I never imagined that Hali would even be part of the equation this year. I'm so glad that he restructured to stay a Chief. He's truly a team player.

He's always said he would take less money to be a part of the Chiefs and he did just that. Guys like that now days are so rare and especially the caliber of player he is.

Easy 6
05-31-2015, 11:49 AM
I'm not at all worried about Ford, any college DE coming into the NFL and transitioning to OLB has a steep learning curve ahead of them (hi, Tamba)... and Ford got precious few live reps to learn the ropes with.

The talent is there, it was flashed multiple times last year... he just needs more reps.

JohnnyHammersticks
05-31-2015, 11:54 PM
So for some reason I can no longer start threads, and this was the first chiefs-related thread I could find. Peter King has us ranked 4th in his preseason power rankings.

4. Kansas City (9-7). Two things must happen: making Justin Houston contractually happy, and finding some answers in the passing game. I like most everything else about the Chiefs’ ability to play in January.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/01/nfl-power-rankings-peter-king-daughter-wedding/#

RobBlake
06-01-2015, 01:04 AM
shouldn't have to worry about passing game. Maclin/Kelce/DAT are great for reid's system.

ChiefGator
06-01-2015, 06:09 AM
He has a quick first step for sure.

Hopefully we start to see some good things come together this year.

BigChiefFan
06-01-2015, 08:13 AM
If Ford can live up to the billing, we may have the best LBers in football.

CoMoChief
06-01-2015, 08:32 AM
IMO other than QB, 1st rd picks should start from day 1. They're not gonna get better by sitting on the bench. This is primarily why I didn't like the Dee Ford pick. We wasted a 1st rd pick on someone who's going to sit behind two pro-bowlers. Unless this team doesn't think they can re-sign Houston, which more and more that's what it's sounding like - and they plan on Ford replacing Houston, which is fine. But even then Ford has 2 years of starting at OLB before the Chiefs have to make the decision on whether to re-sign him to another deal.