PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs De'Anthony Thomas now more of a WR than a RB

The Franchise
06-02-2015, 02:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/12194/deanthony-thomas-now-more-of-a-receiver-than-a-back

De'Anthony Thomas now more of a receiver than a back

Adam Teicher, ESPN Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Perhaps in a nod to his limitations as a running back, the Kansas City Chiefs made a subtle shift with De'Anthony Thomas when offseason practice started last week.

Thomas now works in practice with the wide receivers and goes to their positional meetings. He worked with the running backs last season as a rookie.

Opponents will likely see more of De'Anthony Thomas catching the ball as a receiver for the Chiefs in 2015 than they did last season. AP Photo/Colin E. Braley
Thomas can still line up in a variety of places, including running back. But the move means the Chiefs intend to utilize Thomas more as a receiver and less as a runner. He played some of both last season.

"It makes me more valuable to the offense," Thomas said. "It lets defenses look for me, see where I'm at on the field. It just gives them a different look. I believe it's a great thing."

In the backfield, Thomas could be a liability. He's only 5-8 and 176 pounds, which makes him an easy and inviting target to blitzing linebackers and safety.

As a receiver, Thomas is not such an easy target. Opponents can try to jam him at the line of scrimmage but there's a problem with that because of how fast Thomas is.

"You've got to respect his speed," cornerback Sean Smith said. "You don't want that kind of speed running by you. Me, personally, I'm a bigger guy. I have to get out there and bail a little early so routes like hitches and curls [are] big for him.

"Those little, short routes are going to be open all day."

At 6-3 and 218 pounds, Smith has Thomas by more than a half-foot and about 40 pounds. At the line, Smith could bury Thomas. But that's easier than it might sound.

"That's the plan until you miss," Smith said. "It's a track meet from there. You don't want to be chasing [Thomas]."

Thomas didn't sound worried about matchups with big cornerbacks like Smith.

"I'd just step back a little bit, give him a little wiggle off the line and then go," he said.

In58men
06-02-2015, 02:15 PM
I've always considered him a WR/Slot

chefsos
06-02-2015, 02:21 PM
At 6-3 and 218 pounds, Smith has Thomas by more than a half-foot and about 40 pounds. At the line, Smith could bury Thomas. But that's easier than it might sound.A million editors out of work and...

Mr. Laz
06-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Don't know why in the hell he was ever in the backfield in the first place. All it did was slow his development as a WR.

I said it then, saying it now.

loochy
06-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Perhaps in a nod to his limitations as a running back, the Kansas City Chiefs made a subtle shift with De'Anthony Thomas when offseason practice started last week.

Maybe it was a nod to the Chiefs' limitations in WR instead

KurtCobain
06-02-2015, 02:30 PM
we got 3 more years of him and then he goes to the Titans

Sandy Vagina
06-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Love the weapons on this team. I felt that all DAT needed was a stronger understanding of scheme, and the desire to improve on the routes. His motivations get him to that point, and sky's the limit. He can be the Phillip Dorsett that we passed on.

JC, Maclin, Kelce, DAT, Wilson, and Conley should be so much fun to watch, if the OL can protect worth a shit.

:rockon:

ThaVirus
06-02-2015, 02:33 PM
I'd like to see Jamaal lined up wide a bit more as well.

Sandy Vagina
06-02-2015, 02:35 PM
I'd like to see Jamaal lined up wide a bit more as well.

Rather see him come out of the backfield after play-action to run a wheel route.

Mr. Laz
06-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Love the weapons on this team. I felt that all DAT needed was a stronger understanding of scheme, and the desire to improve on the routes. His motivations get him to that point, and sky's the limit. He can be the Phillip Dorsett that we passed on.

JC, Maclin, Kelce, DAT, Wilson, and Conley should be so much fun to watch, if the OL can protect worth a shit.

:rockon:
I appreciate the enthusiasm but we aren't there yet.

All this potential still has to actually DO IT.

Oline is a keystone, it has to protect well enough to make Smith feel safe enough to go deep.

RealSNR
06-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Don't know why in the hell he was ever in the backfield in the first place. All it did was slow his development as a WR.

I don't have a problem with it. His work out of the backfield as a receiver last year likely went a long way in his transition to the new position.

If you think of coaches as teachers, this is the most efficient way to get him quality touches as early as possible while also not hampering his growth as a WR.

ThaVirus
06-02-2015, 02:40 PM
Rather see him come out of the backfield after play-action to run a wheel route.

Assuming he's healthy he'll see 1,000 snaps this year. We can move him everywhere.

Sandy Vagina
06-02-2015, 02:54 PM
I appreciate the enthusiasm but we aren't there yet.

All this potential still has to actually DO IT.

Oline is a keystone, it has to protect well enough to make Smith feel safe enough to go deep.

True.. yet despite the unproven playmakers on offense, I still find myself optimistic and excited about their futures. :)

Assuming he's healthy he'll see 1,000 snaps this year. We can move him everywhere.

True enough. Happy to see JC anywhere on the field for the offense.

Hootie
06-02-2015, 03:10 PM

WR and RB aren't the same position?

thabear04
06-02-2015, 03:16 PM
I don't have a problem with it. His work out of the backfield as a receiver last year likely went a long way in his transition to the new position.

If you think of coaches as teachers, this is the most efficient way to get him quality touches as early as possible while also not hampering his growth as a WR.

I love the play when he scored on the 49ers. And his block for Charles against the Seahawks.

loochy
06-02-2015, 03:29 PM
WR and RB aren't the same position?

Nah. In our offense, the RB does the catching and the running and the WR's only responsibility is blocking.

Hootie
06-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Nah. In our offense, the RB does the catching and the running and the WRs only responsibility is blocking.
So we did draft a wide out in round 2! Why was everyone so mad??

Three7s
06-02-2015, 03:51 PM
So we did draft a wide out in round 2! Why was everyone so mad??
I thought he was going to be more of a WR when we drafted him and looked at some clips. He has similar physical attributes to Desean Jackson.

KurtCobain
06-02-2015, 04:03 PM
he was a running back?

Deberg_1990
06-02-2015, 04:05 PM
He's basically Dante Hall/McCluster the 3rd

DaneMcCloud
06-02-2015, 04:07 PM

He's far more talented than either of those players.

Saccopoo
06-02-2015, 04:10 PM

I'll believe that when I see it.

Deberg_1990
06-02-2015, 04:10 PM

Perhaps....time will tell. But yes, of course i expect him to eventually outperform those guys. That would be great.

temper11
06-02-2015, 04:35 PM
A million editors out of work and...

ha ha ha... I thought the same thing.

temper11
06-02-2015, 04:39 PM

This... this is really the only thing that matters. The weapons are sufficient, still a few question marks with Connoly, DAT, Wilson, TE2 but the weapons are plenty sufficient. The only question mark is the line. If the line holds reasonably well, this offense will be dangerous.

thabear04
06-02-2015, 05:00 PM
This... this is really the only thing that matters. The weapons are sufficient, still a few question marks with Connoly, DAT, Wilson, TE2 but the weapons are plenty sufficient. The only question mark is the line. If the line holds reasonably well, this offense will be dangerous.

Who this new guy we sign name Connoly. I'm sure he can't beat Conley for his spot on the team.

RealSNR
06-02-2015, 05:10 PM

You have a hard time believing he was more talented than midget?

staylor26
06-02-2015, 05:11 PM

You couldn't tell from what you saw last year that DAT is more talented than McCluster and a better offensive player than Dante Hall? :spock:

NJChiefsFan
06-02-2015, 05:16 PM

Dante hall was three times a better player for us than mccluster. DAT has already shown he has more skill than mccluster as well. It's not really even close imho. I can't agree with your comment at all.

Easy 6
06-02-2015, 05:25 PM
He's not the only one who believes its a great thing, its definitely the right call for a guy his size.

Get him out in space where his jukes and quicks can do the most damage, set him up behind the line where guys cant immediately get their hands on him, send him in motion, run more reverses and screens for him and grab your popcorn.

I'm more excited about this guy than any other player this year.

ChiefGator
06-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Who this new guy we sign name Connoly. I'm sure he can't beat Conley for his spot on the team.

I think he means Cannoli.

Mr. Laz
06-02-2015, 05:56 PM
He's not the only one who believes its a great thing, its definitely the right call for a guy his size.

Get him out in space where his jukes and quicks can do the most damage, set him up behind the line where guys cant immediately get their hands on him, send him in motion, run more reverses and screens for him and grab your popcorn.

HEY Mister!!

I'm pretty sure you were one of the guys arguing with me when i said that very thing. It was DaT's 1st training camp and i was pissed that they had him at RB instead of WR. People started telling me i was wrong blah,blah,blah ...

:cuss:

I swear people just argue for the sake of it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Couldn't hurt. Gotta' find something for Inspector Gadget to do I suppose.

mdchiefsfan
06-02-2015, 06:08 PM
I've always considered him a WR/Slot

This. He is supposed to be everything McCluster was supposed to be. Not sure how that idea was missed by everyone but CP.

filing this in the "No Shit!" folder.

Saccopoo
06-02-2015, 06:15 PM
You couldn't tell from what you saw last year that DAT is more talented than McCluster and a better offensive player than Dante Hall? :spock:

No.

And it really depends upon how effective Reid is in getting him into the playbook.

Thomas is a 5'9", 175 lb. dude. He's fast. He's not light speed fast though. He's agile. He's not strong. He's slight of frame and will likely never be much bigger than he is now. He's got tools, but he's got a long way to go in terms of being anything more than a gadget player and I've got serious doubts that he'll be anything but, even in an offense geared to find him ways to touch the ball.

He's not DeSean Jackson. He's not that good. He's not that fast and he doesn't have his hands. And he's several inches shorter than DeSean.

He's more dynamic than McCluster, but I'm not sure he's as tough.

He's not as thick as Dante Hall. It will be interesting to see if he can take the beating on a weekly basis.

I think he's got the potential to sit in-between Jackson and McCluster in terms of what he gives the team. And that's a pretty big window. Hopefully it's more towards Jackson, but I'm not going to be surprised or shocked if it actually ends up being closer to McCluster.

Easy 6
06-02-2015, 06:44 PM
HEY Mister!!

I'm pretty sure you were one of the guys arguing with me when i said that very thing. It was DaT's 1st training camp and i was pissed that they had him at RB instead of WR. People started telling me i was wrong blah,blah,blah ...

:cuss:

I swear people just argue for the sake of it.

Honestly dont remember that, would need to see proof to be convinced... but I wouldnt totally dismiss it.

Most likely my objection would've sprung from "let the coaches do what they do and see where his best fit is"... if theres one thing anyone must do with a gadget to find all of its uses, its experiment with it.

They tried a more RB approach last year, this year they want to see his routes/hands skills... and I'm all for it.

kcchiefsus
06-02-2015, 06:54 PM

Yep.

They tried the same shit with Dexter McCluster until they finally just put him at WR where he should have been all along.

Different regimes, same stupid fucking mistake.

BossChief
06-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Yep.

They tried the same shit with Dexter McCluster until they finally just put him at WR where he should have been all along.

Different regimes, same stupid ****ing mistake.

Thomas' plus value is his versatility and game breaking speed and elusiveness.

He is best utilized differently each week to take advantage of opponents weaknesses and they must feel he can use more work running routes and refining his skill as a receiver to be able to utilize him more in the offense going forward.

Dunerdr
06-02-2015, 08:30 PM
No.

And it really depends upon how effective Reid is in getting him into the playbook.

Thomas is a 5'9", 175 lb. dude. He's fast. He's not light speed fast though. He's agile. He's not strong. He's slight of frame and will likely never be much bigger than he is now. He's got tools, but he's got a long way to go in terms of being anything more than a gadget player and I've got serious doubts that he'll be anything but, even in an offense geared to find him ways to touch the ball.

He's not DeSean Jackson. He's not that good. He's not that fast and he doesn't have his hands. And he's several inches shorter than DeSean.

He's not as thick as Dante Hall. It will be interesting to see if he can take the beating on a weekly basis.

I think he's got the potential to sit in-between Jackson and McCluster in terms of what he gives the team. And that's a pretty big window. Hopefully it's more towards Jackson, but I'm not going to be surprised or shocked if it actually ends up being closer to McCluster.

Who the fuck are you watching? He's one inch shorter and not much lighter according to the net. Djax is 5'10" 178 and runs 4.35.

Thomas is 5'9" 175... 40 times to come

Dunerdr
06-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Looks like a 4.34 hand times 40. But he's not near as fast and much shorter.

Urc Burry
06-02-2015, 08:49 PM
He dragged his toes to start the 40 and that messed up his official times.

I'm thinking he can be a poor mans Percy Harvin.. Will never be as good as Percy with the Vikings, but there is nothing wrong with that

Dunerdr
06-02-2015, 08:53 PM
He dragged his toes to start the 40 and that messed up his official times.

I'm thinking he can be a poor mans Percy Harvin.. Will never be as good as Percy with the Vikings, but there is nothing wrong with that

In a sense he won't but In Another he should be. Harvin was a terrible team mate apparently. And was hurt quite a bit. Knock on wood Thomas has had a fairly healthy career thus far. And they say the best ability is availability. I think he's got atleast 90% of Percy's ability.

TribalElder
06-02-2015, 11:42 PM
So, I guess that means he won't be scoring any touchdowns this season then

TimBone
06-03-2015, 12:04 AM
That's Saccopoo, bud. He feels it's his personal job to be obtuse at every turn.

MMXcalibur
06-03-2015, 12:06 AM
He's our very own Dexter McCluster.

.....wait a minnuuuuuteeeee.......

DaneMcCloud
06-03-2015, 12:40 AM
No.

That seals it: Chiefs Hall of Famer

Psyko Tek
06-03-2015, 01:03 AM
WHY ISN"T THIS A STICKY
this could be news to anybody that has never watched football
GET ON THIS
SOMEBODY PM BOB DOLE
jebus out sourcing news ain't working well

RealSNR
06-03-2015, 01:54 AM
No.

Not light speed fast?

He's in the top .5% of players in the NFL in terms of speed. Have you fucking watched this guy play?

He's a FUCK ton faster, quicker, and more agile than Dexter McShitfuck ever was

Dunerdr
06-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Not light speed fast?

He's in the top .5% of players in the NFL in terms of speed. Have you ****ing watched this guy play?

He's a **** ton faster, quicker, and more agile than Dexter McShit**** ever was

His biggest problem last season was out running his blockers. But he's not that fast...

BossChief
06-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Dexter was a possession receiver that couldn't get away from anyone due to lacking breakaway speed. Great acceleration, low top end.

Thomas has the same acceleration and quickness, but adds elusiveness and breakaway speed to the skill set.

With all the raw speed on this offense, Alex Smith needs to come out of his shell and by years end should be dropping bombs on teams. Consistently.

Maclin is a 4.4 guy
Wilson runs a 4.3
Thomas runs a 4.3
Conley runs a 4.3
Charles runs a 4.3
Davis runs a 4.3

There can't be many teams that have the type of speed across the board to match up to our skill positions.

loochy
06-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Dexter was a possession receiver that couldn't get away from anyone due to lacking breakaway speed. Great acceleration, low top end.

Thomas has the same acceleration and quickness, but adds elusiveness and breakaway speed to the skill set.

With all the raw speed on this offense, Alex Smith needs to come out of his shell and by years end should be dropping bombs on teams. Consistently.

Maclin is a 4.4 guy
Wilson runs a 4.3
Thomas runs a 4.3
Conley runs a 4.3
Charles runs a 4.3
Davis runs a 4.3

There can't be many teams that have the type of speed across the board to match up to our skill positions.

With that kind of speed, they'll outrun Alex's range even quicker.

BossChief
06-03-2015, 08:34 AM
I know you said that in jest, Loochy, but I'm betting Alex takes a HUGE step forward this year.

I'm probably the only guy on the site thinking Alex tops 4000 yards.

loochy
06-03-2015, 08:36 AM
I know you said that in jest, Loochy, but I'm betting Alex takes a HUGE step forward this year.

I don't know about 4000 yards. I think his long pass frequency and yardage totals will increase, but I bet they just use that as a tool to open up the running game.

HemiEd
06-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Since linemen aren't eligible, they need to go to a 5 wr set, then Alex will be forced to use a wr as a target if he is going to throw the ball.

loochy
06-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Since linemen aren't eligible, they need to go to a 5 wr set, then Alex will be forced to use a wr as a target if he is going to throw the ball.

oline can't hold up without the extra help

Sandy Vagina
06-03-2015, 08:54 AM
With that kind of speed, they'll outrun Alex's range even quicker.

or not...

http://i.imgur.com/SskJ0gs.gif

Sandy Vagina
06-03-2015, 08:56 AM

He targeted Dwayne Bowe more than any other player in both 2013 and 2014.

loochy
06-03-2015, 08:58 AM
He targeted Dwayne Bowe more than any other player in both 2013 and 2014.

and that combination worked out for many points

loochy
06-03-2015, 09:01 AM
or not...

OMG did my goofy little quip about Alex offend you?

Urc Burry
06-03-2015, 09:10 AM
or not...

http://i62.tinypic.com/2s8mqvs.jpg

Sandy Vagina
06-03-2015, 09:14 AM
and that combination worked out for many points

That was not the point being presented.

OMG did my goofy little quip about Alex offend you?

lol, not at all...

Sandy Vagina
06-03-2015, 09:17 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/2s8mqvs.jp

yeah, I know. Otherwise, the pass would likely have been right on target.

.. more to the point though. Alex doesn't have an elite arm, and no one would argue that. QBs with less than elite arms still can hit their 4.3 targets on the deep ones. Just takes anticipation and a clean interior pocket to throw from.

Lzen
06-03-2015, 10:26 AM
DAT is definitely better than McCluster ever was.

However, Dante Hall was better than Dex ever was.

Yes, I think DAT can be better, but let's not sell Dante Hall short. He wasn't half bad as a wideout.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lQcqZD6OMOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

loochy
06-03-2015, 10:31 AM
DAT is definitely better than McCluster ever was.

However, Dante Hall was better than Dex ever was.

Yes, I think DAT can be better, but let's not sell Dante Hall short. He wasn't half bad as a wideout.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lQcqZD6OMOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO

F the broncos

BigChiefFan
06-03-2015, 10:39 AM
or not...

Lol. Exactly. Smith throws it damn near 50 yards on that play.

Mr. Laz
06-03-2015, 11:39 AM

If the Oline gets his shit together he will.

Alex Smith isn't nearly has bad as people around here like to joke about.

He is not elite but he is quality QB who can make 99% of the throws.

Trust is the key issue ... trust the Oline, trust the receivers and make anticipation throws.

Hammock Parties
06-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Protip: Don't be Dex.

Easy 6
06-03-2015, 04:17 PM
His biggest problem last season was out running his blockers. But he's not that fast...

I dont give two rips about his 40 time, as SNR asked Sacc... have you watched him play?

The guy is insane fast, his acceleration is off the charts, guys better have the perfect angle or they'll never catch him.

ChiefGator
06-03-2015, 06:39 PM
If you listen to the press conferences from today, both Pederson and Culley say that DAT is pretty much going to do the same things this year as last year. Pederson says they are throwing a little bit more at him. Culley says they looked at the way he was played last year, and he really was played more as a WR than a RB. So, he will run the same plays, they will just be called a bit differently. He will still have some plays where he lines up in the backfield.

Much ado about absolutely nothing..

BossChief
06-04-2015, 10:46 AM
If you listen to the press conferences from today, both Pederson and Culley say that DAT is pretty much going to do the same things this year as last year. Pederson says they are throwing a little bit more at him. Culley says they looked at the way he was played last year, and he really was played more as a WR than a RB. So, he will run the same plays, they will just be called a bit differently. He will still have some plays where he lines up in the backfield.

Much ado about absolutely nothing..

That's obvious.

They just feel he needs more work running actual routes in the passing game instead of just bubble screens and other plays designed to get him the ball in space with blockers in front of him like a punt return in a way.

They want him to actually play receiver and that means running and refining the route tree and learning about option routes, hot reads, when to break off routes, etc.

In a year or two, they want Thomas to be able to line up anywhere and be nearly uncover able.

Oxford
06-04-2015, 12:51 PM

Jet sweeps

Easy 6
06-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Jet sweeps

That and 1001 other uses, hell Billy Mays should be selling this kid in commercials.

Chiefshrink
06-04-2015, 09:53 PM
as he should be.;)

Saccopoo
06-04-2015, 10:21 PM
The ability to offer playmaking ability at running back, receiver and returner is Thomas' greatest asset. At 5-foot-9, 174 pounds, he doesn't possess the bulk to handle more than 5-10 touches a game but few enjoyed greater success than Thomas, whose serpentine-like manueverability in the open field earned him the affectionate nickname DAT.

Thomas proved faster than quick when changing directions, recording less impressive times in the short shuttle (4.23 seconds), long shuttle (11.46 seconds) and 3-cone drill (6.95 seconds) in the 3-cone drill. He did show improvement in the bench press, lifting the bar 10 times on Thursday (as opposed to eight times in Indianapolis) and had a 10'3" broad jump, according to the Ducks' official athletic website.

Look, I get it, you homers are just dying at the chance of having the guy everyone wants for their Madden team. However, he's not an X-wing piloted by Luke fucking Skywalker. He's a gadget dude who will be lucky to have the same impact on this team as Dante Hall did on his. And he's fucking small and not strong. McCluster was small, but the guy was a beast in terms of strength and toughness.

He's faster than McCluster. Barely. 1/10th of a second faster in the 40 and the 20 Split. Nearly identical in the 10 yard Split. And McCluster is quicker than Thomas in the agility timed drills.

DAT Combine (Pro Day):
Height: 5'8.5"
Weight: 174 lb.
Arms: 29 7/8"
Hands: 8 1/8"
40: 4.50 (4.34)
20 Split: 2.67 (2.51)
10 Split: 1.63 (1.55)
Bench: 8 reps (10 reps)
Vertical: 32"
Broad: 10'2" (10'3")
3 Cone: (6.95)
20 Shuttle: (4.23)
60 Shuttle: (11.46)

Dexter McCluster Combine (Pro Day):
Height: 5'8.6"
Weight: 172 lb.
Arms: 29 1/4"
Hands: 8 3/8"
40: 4.58 (4.44)
20 Split: 2.75 (2.63)
10 Split: 1.61 (1.52)
Bench: 20 reps
Vertical: 37.5"
Broad: 9'10"
3 Cone: (6.73)
20 Shuttle: (4.06)

Same dude for the most part - other than the strength, which McCluster owns.

O.city
06-04-2015, 10:42 PM
None of that transferred to the field for McCluster, so it's not really pertinent.

staylor26
06-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Look, I get it, you homers are just dying at the chance of having the guy everyone wants for their Madden team. However, he's not an X-wing piloted by Luke ****ing Skywalker. He's a gadget dude who will be lucky to have the same impact on this team as Dante Hall did on his. And he's ****ing small and not strong. McCluster was small, but the guy was a beast in terms of strength and toughness.

He's faster than McCluster. Barely. 1/10th of a second faster in the 40 and the 20 Split. Nearly identical in the 10 yard Split. And McCluster is quicker than Thomas in the agility timed drills.

DAT Combine (Pro Day):

Dude fuck those numbers. How can you possibly think McCluster and Thomas are close in terms of speed on the field? Not to mention how great/quick Thomas's feet are in comparison.

OldSchool
06-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Dude **** those numbers. How can you possibly think McCluster and Thomas are close in terms of speed on the field? Not to mention how great/quick Thomas's feet are in comparison.

Yup. I don't see how anyone could watch the two play and still think that DAT is the same player that McCluster was.

Saccopoo
06-05-2015, 11:40 AM
None of that transferred to the field for McCluster, so it's not really pertinent.

The same reason(s) that it didn't transfer onto the field for McCluster are potentially what will roadblock DAT. The guy just isn't big. The shots start piling up and that immediate subconscious thought process of "I'm going to get rocked" starts kicking in after a while.

People talk about Dante Hall in comparison, but Hall was 20 lb. heavier than either McCluster or DAT at the same point. And you could literally see that guy wear down in individual games.

If they use DAT correctly, which will be about five touches a game on offense, he'll be effective. Just enough to make the defense aware of him and have to re-align/compensate for him.

People forget that McCluster was our most effective and reliable offensive passing weapon for the 2013 season.

You (or at least I) don't want to see Thomas used like that. He doesn't have the body makeup and strength to be effective in that role.

Dude **** those numbers. How can you possibly think McCluster and Thomas are close in terms of speed on the field? Not to mention how great/quick Thomas's feet are in comparison.

McCluster and Thomas were the same guy in college. Both dudes would break off defenders at the ankles. McCluster would absolutely separate on guys at the college level.

Yup. I don't see how anyone could watch the two play and still think that DAT is the same player that McCluster was.

I don't see how anyone could watch the two play and still think that DAT and McCluster weren't the same player at the same stage.

You guys are under-selling McCluster and over-selling Thomas for the exact same reasons.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q1K2p-b9F1U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0p3X-_ZKpq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g_SWP3qI7Rg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

O.city
06-05-2015, 11:48 AM
What they did at the college level is irrelevant now, we've seen them both at this level. Dexter couldn't/can't separate. He's somewhat quick, but that's about it.

Thomas has shown more ability to separate from defenders

staylor26
06-05-2015, 12:23 PM
:facepalm:

Sandy Vagina
06-05-2015, 12:24 PM
What they did at the college level is irrelevant now, we've seen them both at this level. Dexter couldn't/can't separate. He's somewhat quick, but that's about it.

Thomas has shown more ability to separate from defenders

This dude is right. When DAT was involved in plays, the expression was :eek:... McC had some fine moments, but never did his movement skills make me think wow.

staylor26
06-05-2015, 12:54 PM
This dude is right. When DAT was involved in plays, the expression was :eek:... McC had some fine moments, but never did his movement skills make me think wow.

There's a 7 min highlight reel of DAT's rookie season. You couldn't even make a 7 min highlight reel of McCluster's career ROFL

RunKC
06-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Look, I get it, you homers are just dying at the chance of having the guy everyone wants for their Madden team. However, he's not an X-wing piloted by Luke ****ing Skywalker. He's a gadget dude who will be lucky to have the same impact on this team as Dante Hall did on his. And he's ****ing small and not strong. McCluster was small, but the guy was a beast in terms of strength and toughness.

DAT Combine (Pro Day):

You've got to be one dumb sumbitch if you think DMC and DAT are the same speed by in shorts and on the field.

DAT is much faster on the field. And he's much quicker than DMC too aka he's hard to tackle in space.

RunKC
06-05-2015, 02:10 PM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_yFva_CYAEXoq5.jpg:large

He won the 100-meter dash in 10.31 seconds, a time that would have tied for sixth at the NCAA championship meet last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/anthony-thomas-wins-100-200-oregon-first-outdoor-000022699--ncaaf.html

As seen above, DAT has elite breakaway speed, something we never saw from DMC.

I remember a crossing route that designed for DMC in the Indy playoff game. It was 3rd and long and DMC caught the ball and had open field on the outside, but couldn't make it because he wasn't fast enough.
Those are the types of plays DAT makes.

BossChief
06-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Dexter was a possession receiver and Thomas is a playmaker.

Completely different players with size being their only compatible attribute.

BossChief
06-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Dexter was a possession receiver and Thomas is a playmaker.

Completely different players with size being their only compatible attribute.

Saccopoo
06-09-2015, 08:28 AM
Kansas City Chiefs WR De'Anthony Thomas has shed weight in order to maximize his speed as he transitions from running back to wide receiver. "I just got a lot stronger and I feel like I'm good right now where I'm at," Thomas said. "I weigh about, probably, 167."

http://www.vaquaria.in/freshwater_fish/discusfish/leoparddiscusfish-big.jpg

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/2008+Olympic+Team+Trials+Track+Field+Day+8+ZegzM0E4P6jl.jpg

I'll start:

When a 175 lb. dude needs to shed weight in order to maximize his speed and agility, it's not a good thing. Especially when he's doing it to play football at the NFL level.

Everybody here raged when McCluster was single armed tackled. Thomas is going to go down in a stiff wind.

Three to five touches per game maximum.

Sandy Vagina
06-09-2015, 08:32 AM
I'll start:

When a 175 lb. dude needs to shed weight in order to maximize his speed and agility, it's not a good thing. Especially when he's doing it to play football at the NFL level.

Everybody here raged when McCluster was single armed tackled. Thomas is going to go down in a stiff wind.

Three to five touches per game maximum.

An odd decision to lose weight, yeah. May go down easy, but they have to get to him first. Will be a great K/P returner, and occasional mismatch weapon shifting around. :hmmm:

BossChief
06-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Sac has to be trolling at this point, right?

Thomas will get 7 touches per game.

Maybe more

RunKC
06-09-2015, 08:58 AM
I doubt we'll see DAT play outside of the slot very often due to us being able to keep him off man press in that position.

If he is used on the outside, it will likely be for a screen set up/fake screen set up.

I would imagine a lot of his plays would be used where he was in space, much like this play design used for Julian Edelman:

http://giant.gfycat.com/ScaredEdibleAfricangoldencat.gif

RunKC
06-09-2015, 09:07 AM
I would also expect a lot of crossing routes that we've done before to go to both DAT and Wilson.

http://giant.gfycat.com/HarmlessBewitchedGoitered.gif

http://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/alexconvert.gif?w=650

Saccopoo
06-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Sac has to be trolling at this point, right?

Thomas will get 7 touches per game.

Maybe more

Do you realize what 165 lb. in the NFL is like? That's fucking small for high school these days.

Everybody runs a 4.4 in the NFL. 260 lb. linebackers run a 4.4. 220 lb. safeties run a 4.4.

I have no clue what they hell they are going to do with Thomas outside of a literal handful of waterbug gadget plays. They can't possibly think that he's capable of providing more than that.

staylor26
06-09-2015, 06:17 PM
I would also expect a lot of crossing routes that we've done before to go to both DAT and Wilson.

http://giant.gfycat.com/HarmlessBewitchedGoitered.gif

http://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/alexconvert.gif?w=650

We're going to miss Bowe's blocking. Dude was always blocking somebody way downfield. Definitely one of the best in the game in that area.

Easy 6
06-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Do you realize what 165 lb. in the NFL is like? That's ****ing small for high school these days.

Everybody runs a 4.4 in the NFL. 260 lb. linebackers run a 4.4. 220 lb. safeties run a 4.4.

I have no clue what they hell they are going to do with Thomas outside of a literal handful of waterbug gadget plays. They can't possibly think that he's capable of providing more than that.

Sacc, c'mon... no way in hell he's still 165 if he was even that to begin with (i doubt it).

The team strength program surely has him jacked up 10 pounds by now, he's 180 and you could bet on that, and plenty of guys can damage at 180... its not like he's a high school kid with 4.6 speed and average quicks.

Regardless of his test times, this guys football speed is insane, surely you've watched him... its hard to crush what you cant catch or get a clean shot on, and this guy is as wormy as they get, he snakes around attempted tackles like I've honestly never seen.

He might even be better at that than Jamaal, and I dont say that lightly... his Madden "awareness" rating should be 99, guys just arent going to get a clean shot on him very often.