PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Any small engine experts?

Buehler445
06-06-2015, 10:28 PM
I have a Honda GX160 on a 2" flowmax transfer pump on my sprayer trailer that started blowing a little blue smoke :cuss:

It kinda has a tough life. I pump a fuckton of gallons through it and the dust from the roads that is kicked up behind my semi is a lot for any filter to deal with, much less a little puke like the one that is on there. But I do keep it pretty clean and I've never taken it apart where it is super dirty.

When I first started it this spring, the gas had went bad. I had to unfuck that mess. Then later on in the season I had some trouble with the compression release when I tried to start it, but dad dumped some oil in the cylinder and that must have freed it up. I don't think any of that is related, but it is showing it's age some.

Anyway, do I have any options besides pistons and rings? I changed the oil in it and that helped a slight amount, but it is still blowing blue smoke.

Is it just a matter of time until it fucks itself? I don't have time for this shit.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

beach tribe
06-06-2015, 11:03 PM
Inman should be along to add some substance and useful information to this thread.

TrebMaxx
06-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Inman should be along to add some substance and useful information to this thread.
Inman will find a youtube video that will show how to easily repair this issue.

Reerun_KC
06-06-2015, 11:22 PM
My guess would be valve seals. Probably needs a head.job and rings.

eDave
06-07-2015, 05:41 AM
I'd think you could fix anything...

Buehler445
06-07-2015, 08:57 AM
I'd think you could fix anything...

Oh I can overhaul it. But I don't want to.

SAUTO
06-07-2015, 08:59 AM
Bet you're gonna though lol

Buehler445
06-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Bet you're gonna though lol

Damn you Jason! You are supposed to come through for me with some goofy tip like put a splash of gear oil in the motor oil and the rings will seal right up.

Oh well. I don't know if I will rebuild it or not. New ones aren't that expensive and parts kind of are.

stevieray
06-07-2015, 12:06 PM
....talk to KCNative, he's got a small engine.

LiveSteam
06-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Keep the spark plug clean & run it. Maybe try running a hotter sparkplug. As long as it still has good compression & plenty of power,I wouldnt worry about anything but the oil level in the crankcase.

Buzz
06-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Did you run any seafoam through it after the bad gas?

Perineum Ripper
06-07-2015, 03:19 PM
You aren't drinking enough antifreeze

Mr. Wizard
06-07-2015, 04:02 PM
I suggest you go to straight 30 weight oil. Its a bit harder to find but has never failed me on engines with wear. Believe me we have done that switch on many an older engine showing signs of wear. That's how we do it in GC anyways. Drove through Scott yesterday darn its green and wet.

SAUTO
06-07-2015, 05:49 PM
How long ago was the compression release issue?

Smed1065
06-07-2015, 08:11 PM
My guess would be valve seals. Probably needs a head.job and rings.

Usually to get a head job seems you need to give a ring anymore.

ghak99
06-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Just go get a new one, or one of the identical knock off hondas, and keep a big sledge on the spray tender. When it finally blows pull into the shade to remove the fittings and beat the ****er off like it was a Briggs and mount the new one in its place.

HonestChieffan
06-08-2015, 07:02 AM
I run the 8hp on my spray unit. Its the most dependable thing ever. The good news is it won't cost a ton for yours to be overhauled, you may just have used a little too small a unit in a bit more adverse conditions than it was made for. Even my 2 inch transfer pump has a 6 HP

Buehler445
06-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Did you run any seafoam through it after the bad gas?

Seafoam? WTF is that?

You aren't drinking enough antifreeze

It's air cooled :D

I suggest you go to straight 30 weight oil. Its a bit harder to find but has never failed me on engines with wear. Believe me we have done that switch on many an older engine showing signs of wear. That's how we do it in GC anyways. Drove through Scott yesterday darn its green and wet.

I'm using some Deere 15-45 PlusII stuff. What advantage does 30 wt oil have?

Yeah, we got about 8 inches in a month. Some places up to 12. We'd have a BUNCH more wheat if it would have done ANYTHING before May. I have a quarter of corn that needs 55 acres replanted, and just flat out don't care. I'll grow way more grain with the water than that 55 will grow dried out.

How long ago was the compression release issue?

A month-ish. But I've sprayed a ton of gallons since.

Just go get a new one, or one of the identical knock off hondas, and keep a big sledge on the spray tender. When it finally blows pull into the shade to remove the fittings and beat the ****er off like it was a Briggs and mount the new one in its place.

We have a spare, they're not too hard to get on the pump. The hard part is getting the pump clearance right.

I run the 8hp on my spray unit. Its the most dependable thing ever. The good news is it won't cost a ton for yours to be overhauled, you may just have used a little too small a unit in a bit more adverse conditions than it was made for. Even my 2 inch transfer pump has a 6 HP

Eh all the 2" pumps have the 160s. All the Bolts and Scrapiron motors I've had on 2" pumps have been 5HP. I REALLY wish it was an 8 HP on 3" pump, but don't want to drop the coin.

Buzz
06-08-2015, 06:58 PM
Seafoam? WTF is that?

http://images.oreillyauto.com/uploads/panel/other/seafoam_header.jpg<STYLE type=text/css> .ocatheading { color: #209d57; } </STYLE><STYLE type=text/css> .ocatheading { color: #209d57; } </STYLE>
Sea Foam® Motor Treatment was developed in the 1930’s and is guaranteed to work as good now as it did back then. Sea Foam® Motor Treatment (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Fuel+Treatment/N0407/C0126.oap?brand=Sea+Foam) safely and effectively cleans internal fuel and oil system components, helping your gasoline or diesel engine run cleaner and more efficiently.

100% Pure Petroleum Product
For Use in All Engines including 2-cycle, 4-cycle, and Diesels
Cleans Internal Carbon, Gum and Varnish Deposits
Cleans Fuel Injectors
Controls Moisture from Fuel and Oil
Stabilizes Fuel for Up to 2 Years
Frees Sticky Lifters & Rings
Restores Lost Fuel Economy

<TABLE class=imageWrapper style="HEIGHT: 292px"><TBODY><TR><TD>http://images.oreillyauto.com/uploads/panel/other/seafoam_wPlayBtn.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=f5faqSGWSlo)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mr. Wizard
06-09-2015, 07:22 AM
Straight 30 weight has a thicker viscosity than multiweight oils and therefore has a "sealing effect" in older engines with wear. Its only supposed drawback its in low temperature conditions it supposedly takes longer to lubricate a cold engine. That said, most of the older tractors ran only 30 weight and lasted for years and years. On smaller engines we switch over at the first sign of oil usage and have had great luck over the years.

We have not had as much rain in garden as you guys, lost 50% of our best wheat to hail close to the finney/scott county line.