PDA

View Full Version : Life Driving from Las Vegas to Denver

cosmo20002
06-09-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm driving from LV to Denver next month.
Anywhere that needs to stopped at and experienced?
Will stay overnight someplace; doesn't have to be right in the middle.

Done the Grand Canyon already, so not interested in that.
Thanks!

Saul Good
06-09-2015, 10:48 AM
I'd drive to McCarran and catch a flight.

Hootie
06-09-2015, 10:48 AM
This.

GloryDayz
06-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Make sure you pack some extra antifreeze.

Just joking.. Have a great drive..

srvy
06-09-2015, 10:55 AM
The four corners monument then piss in a big circle.

srvy
06-09-2015, 10:59 AM
You have to be a surveyor to appreciate this.
http://agoodgoodbye.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/four-corners-monument.jpg

CaliforniaChief
06-09-2015, 11:28 AM

LMAO

All I can think of is golfing in Mesquite, NV...then drive back to Vegas and fly to Denver.

I guess I-70 through the mountains is scenic.

Mr. Laz
06-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Google search+Denver+dispensaries+map+location

GloryDayz
06-09-2015, 11:33 AM
You have to be a surveyor to appreciate this.
http://agoodgoodbye.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/four-corners-monument.jpg

This always cracks me up... After seemingly messing with the Colorado/Utah boarder, Google still thinks the surveyors missed the mark...

cosmo20002
06-09-2015, 11:43 AM
This always cracks me up... After seemingly messing with the Colorado/Utah boarder, Google still thinks the surveyors missed the mark...

The monument is not at the exact location.

srvy
06-09-2015, 11:52 AM

San Juan Mt range is pretty nice. Durango-Silverton narrow gauge RR. Mesa Verde Indian ruins especially touring the cliff dwellings. If you love hippies you will love Crested Butte Co.

srvy
06-09-2015, 11:55 AM

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/INFO/fourcorners.shtml

Might want read this for clarification.

GloryDayz
06-09-2015, 12:01 PM

Well not after all the global warming 'n stuff!

LOL, I just think it's funny, not trying to make people not go.

GloryDayz
06-09-2015, 12:04 PM
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/INFO/fourcorners.shtml

Might want read this for clarification.

Like thermometers and climatologists, it's understandable because, "considering the relatively primitive surveying technology of the day".

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

srvy
06-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Chandler Robbins the BLM surveyor contracted to to run the Arizona New Mexico line is famous in his field notes of the original surveys to apply the usual overage to his correction tie in's. Nobody know's what the usual overage is. Its untraceable never the less his field notes are the original line and corner so any evidence of his original corner is the true corner or line. The courts have also most generally rule that if you had the original surveyors chain you would reproduce his measurement :( judges.

BWillie
06-09-2015, 12:10 PM
I would just google map the journey, look at pictures. fly in plane. save like 20 hours.

GloryDayz
Chandler Robbins the BLM surveyor contracted to to run the Arizona New Mexico line is famous in his field notes of the original surveys to apply the usual overage to his correction tie in's. Nobody know's what the usual overage is. Its untraceable never the less his field notes are the original line and corner so any evidence of his original corner is the true corner or line. The courts have also most generally rule that if you had the original surveyors chain you would reproduce his measurement :( judges.

Now you've given me the perfect excuse to buy this (and go check-out the whole monument deal)...

http://www.tropical-store.com/store/images/garmin%20gps%2060.jpg

GloryDayz
BTW Cosmo, we'll get back to you trip ideas soon enough...

srvy
06-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Now you've given me the perfect excuse to buy this (and go check-out the whole monument deal)...

http://www.tropical-store.com/store/images/garmin%20gps%2060.jpg

If you have a good quality smartphone they use the gps and glonass satellites and will get you as close as that hand held gps. Now survey grade GPS cost 35 to 45,000 a unit will get the job done in millimeters :)

Rain Man
06-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Go to Zion, then Bryce, then Arches. You won't regret it. That part of the country is amazing.

BigMeatballDave
06-09-2015, 01:07 PM
The I-15 stretch thru NW Arizona is some of the most beautiful land I've ever seen.

prhom
06-09-2015, 01:50 PM
I'd recommend driving over Independence Pass. You leave I-70 at Glenwood Springs and go south on highway 82. You'll get a much better view of the Colorado mountains than staying on I-70. Once you hit highway 24 you could either go north and get back on 70 or go south and take 285 into Denver. Depending on when you are trying to drive on 70 this route MAY actually take less time than going 70 the whole way. Accidents and traffic on 70 can take all the fun out of a car trip.

srvy
06-09-2015, 02:14 PM
I'd recommend driving over Independence Pass. You leave I-70 at Glenwood Springs and go south on highway 82. You'll get a much better view of the Colorado mountains than staying on I-70. Once you hit highway 24 you could either go north and get back on 70 or go south and take 285 into Denver. Depending on when you are trying to drive on 70 this route MAY actually take less time than going 70 the whole way. Accidents and traffic on 70 can take all the fun out of a car trip.

Thats that old narrow bastard with the stone wall guard walls? If so it is beautiful especially above treeline at the continental divide. But it takes forever to get through it and a lot of white knuckle driving for a flatlander.

prhom
06-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Thats that old narrow bastard with the stone wall guard walls? If so it is beautiful especially above treeline at the continental divide. But it takes forever to get through it and a lot of white knuckle driving for a flatlander.

Yes, narrow, switchbacks, and ruggedly beautiful. I wouldn't say it takes forever, but if you stop a lot for pictures it can go slowly. I don't know how much time the OP has to make the drive so it is probably a little longer than taking the interstate route but won't take as much time as going to four corners or visiting Zion would.

There's always the road up Mt Evans too. That's a pure side trip, but you can drive most of the way up a fourteener. It's not as scenic as Independence pass IMO.

scho63
06-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Stop at Mile High Stadium, take a big dump at the entrance, and leave a nice note for Peyton letting him know the Chief's fans send their regards.

srvy
06-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Stop at Mile High Stadium, take a big dump at the entrance, and leave a nice note for Peyton letting him know the Chief's fans send their regards.

This would make the trip thru Denver on I-70 worthwhile.

GloryDayz
06-09-2015, 06:30 PM

This...

/end thread