PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Secondary? Who starts?

Couch-Potato
06-10-2015, 09:14 AM
I really like what we did to improve our secondary this year, but who starts?

Smith
Peters
Gaines
Nelson
Cooper

Parker
Branch
Abdullah
Commings

I'm assuming Smith, Peters and Gaines start at CB, but Parker or Branch at SS? Will commings finally get a shot at FS?

Also, bonus Q: Do you think we will see Houston, Hali and Ford on the field at the same time more this year? When?

The Franchise
06-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Starting CBs: Smith and Peters
NCB: Gaines
FS: Parker
SS: Branch
Third safety: Abdullah
IR: Commings

RealSNR
06-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Branch will break apart in midair before midseason. I really don't give a shit about his signing this offseason since he'll never be on the field anyway.

Parker and Abdullah will start for most of the season I imagine.

ModSocks
06-10-2015, 09:45 AM
Uric Burry.

Come back player of the year. Book it.

thabear04
06-10-2015, 10:07 AM
CBs: Smith and Peters
SS: Abdullah

Rain Man
06-10-2015, 10:16 AM

This makes a lot of sense to me, but I think Abdullah will be the starter at SS. I'm hoping that Nelson comes along as the dime back, but think that he may get a season on the bench while Fleming plays the dime.

KCChiefsfan1234
06-10-2015, 10:56 AM
It will be interesting to see how Peters and Nelson can get caught up this coming week. I wouldn't make the assumption that they will be ready to start. They are rookies and have missed a lot of practice.

MeaTy The Pimp
06-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Also, bonus Q: Do you think we will see Houston, Hali and Ford on the field at the same time more this year? When?

I would love to see Ford out there with Houston and Hali. That would be truly scary for opposing QBs.

ThaVirus
06-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Probably just roll with the starting lineup from last year.

Smith and Fleming on the outside, Gaines at nickel, Parker at FS, and Abdullah at SS. Branch is the first guy off the bench.

Ideally, Peters will be given every opportunity to take Fleming's spot. We'll probably be looking at Peters and Gaines on the outside and Nelson at nickel after this season.

RunKC
06-10-2015, 11:42 AM

I think this is accurate, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gaines is starting. He's gotten stronger and has looked good so far.

ThaVirus
06-10-2015, 11:47 AM
We're going to be fucked if Sean Smith misses any games

staylor26
06-10-2015, 11:51 AM
We're going to be ****ed if Sean Smith misses any games

Why? Gaines is ready to start and there's no reason to think Peters can't come in and do the same. We'll be fine without Smith for a couple games.

ThaVirus
06-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Why? Gaines is ready to start and there's no reason to think Peters can't come in and do the same. We'll be fine without Smith for a couple games.

There's no reason to believe an unproven NCB and a rookie can fill an elite player's shoes.

ModSocks
06-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Probably just roll with the starting lineup from last year.

Smith and Fleming on the outside, Gaines at nickel, Parker at FS, and Abdullah at SS. Branch is the first guy off the bench.

Ideally, Peters will be given every opportunity to take Fleming's spot. We'll probably be looking at Peters and Gaines on the outside and Nelson at nickel after this season.

No way in hell should Fleming be starting. The dude is a JAG. This year's Marcus Cooper. If he starts over Gaines and Peters, we got a problem, man.

BossChief
06-10-2015, 12:15 PM
While Sean Smith is suspended:

CB1 Peters
CB2 Gaines
CB3 Mighty Mouse
CB4 Fleming
FS Parker
SS Abdullah
3rd S Branch

After suspension

CB1 Smith
CB2 Peters
CB3 Gaines
CB4 Mighty Mouse
Cb5 Fleming
FS Parker
SS Abdullah
3rd S Branch

ThaVirus
06-10-2015, 12:18 PM
No way in hell should Fleming be starting. The dude is a JAG. This year's Marcus Cooper. If he starts over Gaines and Peters, we got a problem, man.

He seemed to do rather well last season, no?

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2015, 12:19 PM
We're going to be fucked if Sean Smith misses any games

No way, man. SS missing time would be a plus. He's overrated. I know this because Clay and ROR said so...

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Branch will break apart in midair before midseason. I really don't give a shit about his signing this offseason since he'll never be on the field anyway.

Parker and Abdullah will start for most of the season I imagine.

Heh, I completely forgot about Branch.

Aspengc8
06-10-2015, 12:25 PM

Nope. No reason to have 3 edge rushers on the field at the same time. Ford will spell either one of them and keep them fresh.

BossChief
06-10-2015, 12:30 PM

He isn't just a guy.

He's a solid corner in a league where it's tough to find good coverage corners. He was drafted in the third round of the 2012 draft and was rated as the 7th best corner in the class. When he played, he held his own.

To be honest, I think it would be smart to try and trade him to a team in need of a starting corner and try to get a linebacker for him.

I'd LOVE to see us move him to Philly for Kendrick's. They were desperate enough to give Maxwell a massive deal and I'm sure would love to add Fleming.

Then that would give Bausby and Fox a chance to make the team and contribute while adding a quality starter at a position of need.

staylor26
06-10-2015, 12:35 PM
There's no reason to believe an unproven NCB and a rookie can fill an elite player's shoes.

Gaines stepped in last year and shutdown Emmanuel Sanders, and he also got stronger/bigger this offseason so not the slightest bit worried about him. Peters is the type of guy that might get beat early on, but he won't lose his confidence and will keep playing aggressively. I'm not worried at all.

ThaVirus
06-10-2015, 12:36 PM
There's a good chance we see Houston moved inside with Ford taking up the LOLB spot on some obvious passing situations.

I remember seeing it a few times last season.

staylor26
06-10-2015, 12:47 PM
There's a good chance we see Houston moved inside with Ford taking up the LOLB spot on some obvious passing situations.

I remember seeing it a few times last season.

Yea with Houston's ability to cover and rush the QB from anywhere that should work quite well.

ModSocks
06-10-2015, 01:43 PM
He isn't just a guy.

He's a solid corner in a league where it's tough to find good coverage corners. He was drafted in the third round of the 2012 draft and was rated as the 7th best corner in the class. When he played, he held his own.

To be honest, I think it would be smart to try and trade him to a team in need of a starting corner and try to get a linebacker for him.

I'd LOVE to see us move him to Philly for Kendrick's. They were desperate enough to give Maxwell a massive deal and I'm sure would love to add Fleming.

Then that would give Bausby and Fox a chance to make the team and contribute while adding a quality starter at a position of need.

He is just a guy.

What evidence do you have that he isn't?

You think he has trade value? LMAO

Dude for real? Fleming has trade value as a starting Corner is this league? C'mon man. The homer is strong in you today.

To this point, Fleming has done dick in this league.

That's some epic homer level shit.

ModSocks
06-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Gaines stepped in last year and shutdown Emmanuel Sanders, and he also got stronger/bigger this offseason so not the slightest bit worried about him. Peters is the type of guy that might get beat early on, but he won't lose his confidence and will keep playing aggressively. I'm not worried at all.

Gaines has shown more in his rookie season than Fleming has shown in his career.

Fleming's claim to fame is filling in on spot duty for an awful, awful Marcus Cooper....another CP homer favorite.

Mr. Laz
06-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Gaines has shown more in his rookie season than Fleming has shown in his career.

Fleming's claim to fame is filling in on spot duty for an awful, awful Marcus Cooper....another CP homer favorite.

Cooper lost his CP homer status his 2nd year.

Gaines certainly showed improvement last season.

Hopefully we can leave Gaines in the slot.

BossChief
06-10-2015, 01:55 PM
He is just a guy.

What evidence do you have that he isn't?

You think he has trade value? LMAO

Dude for real? Fleming has trade value as a starting Corner is this league? C'mon man. The homer is strong in you today.

To this point, Fleming has done dick in this league.

That's some epic homer level shit.
If Byron Maxwell has 10+m per type talent, Fleming is worth a player for player trade for a guy like Kendrick's, who Philly doesn't even need after resigning their ILB and trading for Kiko.

ModSocks
06-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Cooper lost his CP homer status his 2nd year.

Gaines certainly showed improvement last season.

Hopefully we can leave Gaines in the slot.

Cooper didn't lose Homer status until he got benched for Practice squad all-star Fleming.

ModSocks
06-10-2015, 02:03 PM
If Byron Maxwell has 10+m per type talent, Fleming is worth a player for player trade for a guy like Kendrick's, who Philly doesn't even need after resigning their ILB and trading for Kiko.

Really? A guy on his 4th team in 3 seasons, whom the Chiefs plucked off teh Ravens practice squad before the start of the season, is worth a proven commodity like Kendricks?

That's insane. Absolutely Insane. Byron Maxwell has actually been a starter in this league. Flemming had some spot duty here and there last season replacing an awful Cooper and now all of a sudden he's better or as good as Byron Maxwell?

Sheeesh.

staylor26
06-10-2015, 02:04 PM

I specifically remember you laughing at me last offseason for hyping up Gaines and saying I had him in my top 5 cb's in last years draft. Glad to see you've come along :D

ModSocks
06-10-2015, 02:06 PM
I specifically remember you laughing at me last offseason for hyping up Gaines and saying I had him in my top 5 cb's in last years draft. Glad to see you've come along :D

Doubt it was me. I've been a Gaines fan since he was drafted.

I gave Sean Smith a lot of shit though last offseason. Him and Cooper. Sean Smith proved me wrong though.

ThaVirus
06-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Fleming was solid as oak last year, IIRC.

I'm not saying we can't do better but I'd rather not rush an aggressive rookie onto the field to start the season, especially with a huge divisional game against Peyton in week 2 followed by what'll probably be our toughest challenge defensively all year the following week at Lambeau.

staylor26
06-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Doubt it was me. I've been a Gaines fan since he was drafted.

I gave Sean Smith a lot of shit though last offseason. Him and Cooper. Sean Smith proved me wrong though.

100% sure it was you, but I think it had more to do with my "rankings" not meaning jack shit lol.

ModSocks
06-10-2015, 02:13 PM
100% sure it was you, but I think it had more to do with my "rankings" not meaning jack shit lol.

Maybe, idk, haha.

staylor26
06-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Maybe, idk, haha.

Just glad to see other Chiefs fans see what I see in Gaines. Reminds me of Kelce last offseason and we all know how that turned out.

ModSocks
06-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Fleming was solid as oak last year, IIRC.

I'm not saying we can't do better but I'd rather not rush an aggressive rookie onto the field to start the season, especially with a huge divisional game against Peyton in week 2 followed by what'll probably be our toughest challenge defensively all year the following week at Lambeau.

He only played in 7 games last season, and IIRC, not all of those were starts. That's such a tiny sample size.

That's why i think Boss' idea that somehow this kid who was plucked off the practice squad and got 7 games worth of action is some how as valuable as Mychael Kendricks.....is freaking insane epic homerism.

ThaVirus
06-10-2015, 02:33 PM
He only played in 7 games last season, and IIRC, not all of those were starts. That's such a tiny sample size.

That's why i think Boss' idea that somehow this kid who was plucked off the practice squad and got 7 games worth of action is some how as valuable as Mychael Kendricks.....is freaking insane epic homerism.

I can agree he's yet to earn his stripes. I'm just saying, when he was in the games I rarely ever noticed him. Sean Smith is much the same way.

We ended the season with him as a starter, I think we'll do well to stick with him as the starter unless Peters or Gaines prove themselves to be a definite upgrade.