PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink A good cutting board?

Msmith
06-15-2015, 12:29 PM
The wooden one tends to split over time.

The plastic (or whatever the material) gets moldy.

The glass one dulls the knife.

Calling all the men in the kitchen for suggestion.

Grim
06-15-2015, 12:34 PM
We just use the cheap mats until they're useless. They're cheap enough to replace.

58-4ever
06-15-2015, 12:34 PM
My cutting board is knowledge is usually unleashed with a good pic of boobs... so please share.

penguinz
06-15-2015, 12:36 PM
The wooden one tends to split over time.

The plastic (or whatever the material) gets moldy.

The glass one dulls the knife.

Calling all the men in the kitchen for suggestion.If it is splitting you are not taking care of it properly.

Msmith
06-15-2015, 12:36 PM
We just use the cheap mats until they're useless. They're cheap enough to replace.

I am concern about cutting the plastic board could take some of tiny bits of plastic onto the food.

TomBarndtsTwin
06-15-2015, 12:40 PM
If it is splitting you are not taking care of it properly.

This.

Bamboo is the way to go, my friend.

Meatloaf
06-15-2015, 12:45 PM
If it is splitting you are not taking care of it properly.

This.

You've got to "oil" wooden boards from time to time to keep them from splitting. If you do, they'll last forever.

My recommendation is to order a wooden board from Boardsmith. Awesome quality! Highly recommended!!!

penguinz
06-15-2015, 12:46 PM
This.

You've got to "oil" wooden boards from time to time to keep them from splitting. If you do, they'll last forever.

My recommendation is to order a wooden board from Boardsmith. Awesome quality! Highly recommended!!!I would also go with end grain to preserve the edge on your knives longer.

Meatloaf
06-15-2015, 02:16 PM
I would also go with end grain to preserve the edge on your knives longer.

Yup, agree with this too. Penguinz, you seem to know your cutting boards!!!

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Boos Board. Mineral oil once a month.

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Not bamboo.

Easy 6
06-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Whats wrong with a cheap wooden board?

So it splits 2-3 whatever years later, you got your 10-15$ out of it.

DJ's left nut
06-15-2015, 02:43 PM
This.

I would also go with end grain to preserve the edge on your knives longer.

I have nothing to add to these, though some people think Bamboo is dangerous due to bacterial properties. I don't buy it (enough studies have shown that the bacteria settles into the middle where they are inert and then die).

If you can find a good hardwood end-grain board, go that route. Alternatively, with a few hours of spare time and a decent lumber store nearby, you can make one fairly easily with just a few cuts and some bar clamps.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/how-to-make-a-butcher-block-cutting-board/

It's a fun project if you're just looking for a reason to make something.

penguinz
06-15-2015, 02:45 PM
I have nothing to add to these, though some people think Bamboo is dangerous due to bacterial properties. I don't buy it (enough studies have shown that the bacteria settles into the middle where they are inert and then die).

If you can find a good hardwood end-grain board, go that route. Alternatively, with a few hours of spare time and a decent lumber store nearby, you can make one fairly easily with just a few cuts and some bar clamps.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/how-to-make-a-butcher-block-cutting-board/

It's a fun project if you're just looking for a reason to make something.
Just make sure it isn't treated lumber!

Rain Man
06-15-2015, 02:58 PM

What if civilization collapses and we no longer possess the technology to make cutting boards?

Renegade
06-15-2015, 03:05 PM
What if civilization collapses and we no longer possess the technology to make cutting boards?

Then we do as our ancestors did, just eat it straight from the bone, no cooking or grilling.

Rain Man
06-15-2015, 03:08 PM
Then we do as our ancestors did, just eat it straight from the bone, no cooking or grilling.

But then you're deepening the collapse of civilization. We should be rebuilding at that point, and cutting boards could be the very pivot point between a new renaissance and a new dark age.

sedated
06-15-2015, 03:29 PM
I generally go with plastic because it can go in the dishwasher. I've never had a problem with mold. I also go cheap so I can replace fairly regularly.

Easy 6
06-15-2015, 03:30 PM

Then a dirty, fallen over tree will suffice... or even a good sized flat rock will do, just make sure not to dull your stone blade on it.

Stewie
06-15-2015, 03:45 PM
I have a large composite board. It's a high-end board and has never had any issues. Never molded, never warped, never caused a dull blade. It was the highest rated board about 10 years ago and shows very little wear. Toss in the dishwasher when it needs a good cleaning.

Pablo
06-15-2015, 03:49 PM
I generally go with plastic because it can go in the dishwasher. I've never had a problem with mold. I also go cheap so I can replace fairly regularly.Yep. Dishwasher friendly is important to me. I have a couple of cheap plastic ones and a composite plastic/something that I like quite a bit.

Don't know what they cost, but it couldn't be more than $15 maybe. Held up just fine for the two years I've had it.

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2015, 03:50 PM

A good, well taken care of wooden board is like a cast iron pan. They'll last a long, long time and can be passed down. Long term, a good board will not only be better for your knives, but you'll spend less on them than you will cheap ones you end up replacing.

BigChiefFan
06-15-2015, 03:56 PM
I made one nearing 30 years ago and it still is going strong. The trick is to use wood slats, side by side and the best wood glue you can find. Use oak and walnut. Use the best C clamps you can find and tighten it down as hard as you can. Clean exess glue. Let it stay clamped for at least 3 full days. Router the edges and then sand it. Apply mineral oil and let it sit another full day. Use for a lifetime.

Easy 6
06-15-2015, 04:03 PM
A good, well taken care of wooden board is like a cast iron pan. They'll last a long, long time and can be passed down. Long term, a good board will not only be better for your knives, but you'll spend less on them than you will cheap ones you end up replacing.

I've honestly never oiled or otherwise done anything special for a cutting board, and never will.

They get used, they get washed, and when they're all dicked up a few years later... I go buy a new one. I've got a plastic one but dont use it much, kinda prefer the wooden one.

Its just a cheap surface to chop on so I dont ruin the laminate on my countertop, no big deal.

Saccopoo
06-15-2015, 04:24 PM
This.

Nope.

Bamboo is far too small and they have to use too much glue/epoxy to hold it together, which is brutal on your knives.

Large square end grain boards are a good choice, as are the Epicurean recycle boards.

These are some of the best cutting boards you will ever find:

Boardsmith
http://theboardsmith.com/

http://theboardsmith.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/16-x-22-Maple-Walnut-Border-Board-320x320.jpg

Epicurean
http://www.epicureancs.com/cutting-boards.php

http://st.houzz.com/simgs/9a31892f034f39d3_4-1076/traditional-cutting-boards.jpg

If I were going to spend money on a new cutting board, the Boardsmith would be at the top of my list.

Easy 6
06-15-2015, 04:30 PM
A decent, pull through, knife sharpener is worth much more than a fancy cutting board.

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2015, 04:34 PM
A decent, pull through, knife sharpener is worth much more than a fancy cutting board.

You've obviously not used a good board. Both has their spot, but a good board makes work better.

scho63
06-15-2015, 04:37 PM
For all the people worrying about "food" left in the grooves, as long as you wash it with hot water, some detergent, and a good sponge, you NEVER have to worry about it. It's an unwarranted fear. Dishwasher safe.

I have the smallest one of these for little jobs like cutting cheese and the other below for cutting meat and large amounts of vegetables.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71j4r--RQ-L._SL1500_.jpg

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/12355?wid=480&hei=480

Saccopoo
06-15-2015, 04:42 PM

Oh sweet baby jesus...

No.

Just no.

If you want to sharpen your knives with superior grade stones and don't feel comfortable with the block water stones, I highly recommend the Edge Pro system.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/dlb/img/Apex_Hero_lg.jpg

I've got one myself, use the Shapton Glass stones and I can open my knife bag right now and literally shave with just about every single one of my knives. A couple of swipes on a ceramic rod and they are lasers, even after heavy use.

Easy 6
06-15-2015, 04:52 PM
You've obviously not used a good board. Both has their spot, but a good board makes work better.

Dude honestly, not trying to be argumentative just for the sake of it... but I've never, ever spent more than ten maybe fifteen bucks on a cutting board and have never once failed to be able to cut everything I want, just the way I want.

Julienne carrots.

Thin sliced meats for tacos etc.

Beef chunks for stew.

Super thin sliced garlic.

etc etc etc.

Oh sweet baby jesus...

No.

Just no.

If you want to sharpen your knives with superior grade stones and don't feel comfortable with the block water stones, I highly recommend the Edge Pro system.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/dlb/img/Apex_Hero_lg.jpg

I've got one myself, use the Shapton Glass stones and I can open my knife bag right now and literally shave with just about every single one of my knives. A couple of swipes on a ceramic rod and they are lasers, even after heavy use.

ROFL what the **** is that, a laser pointer, miniature cannon, some kind of Special Forces weapon most people dont know about?

I dont need, nor will I ever need to buy something like that to have a razor sharp blade and cut everything just exactly like I want it.

unlurking
06-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Buy the best board you can afford, take care of it, and it is likely that your grandchildren will be using it. Even as they age, or especially as they age, good wooden cutting boards become more and more attractive.

WTF?!

I'm not spending $300 fucking dollars so my kid can have a cutting board. Go spend $10 at Walmart and learn how to protect your mama while you're there!

Saccopoo
06-15-2015, 04:58 PM
WTF?!

I'm not spending $300 ****ing dollars so my kid can have a cutting board. Go spend $10 at Walmart and learn how to protect your mama while you're there!

I'm sure as shit not running my steel through a fucking Walmart board.

For a generational item that gets used nearly everyday, $300 is pretty cheap in my book.

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2015, 05:00 PM
Dude honestly, not trying to be argumentative just for the sake of it... but I've never, ever spent more than ten maybe fifteen bucks on a cutting board and have never once failed to be able to cut everything I want, just the way I want.

Julienne carrots.

Thin sliced meats for tacos etc.

Beef chunks for stew.

Super thin sliced garlic.

etc etc etc.

ROFL what the **** is that, a laser pointer, miniature cannon, some kind of Special Forces weapon most people dont know about?

I dont need, nor will I ever need to buy something like that to have a razor sharp blade and cut everything just exactly like I want it.

Yes, you can cut with anything on a cheap board and probably won't notice an immediate difference.

But a good board will feel better while you're working, maybe even speed it up if it's a "fast" board. It will be easier on your blade, forcing you to sharpen less frequently. And the board itself will last longer, and look better doing it. It's true.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Wood or go home.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-15-2015, 05:27 PM
And don't even fucking start with me on Richlite or Marlite.

I'm IN this goddamned business.

Bwana
06-15-2015, 05:29 PM
This is what I use and love it. I keep it well oiled with food grade oil if you do that it will last a lifetime. This thing is built like a brick shit house.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MXPK7A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Al Bundy
06-15-2015, 05:29 PM
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/fsc-teak-large-rectangular-cutting-board-with-well/s558621

Rain Man
06-15-2015, 05:52 PM
I've honestly never oiled or otherwise done anything special for a cutting board, and never will.

They get used, they get washed, and when they're all dicked up a few years later... I go buy a new one. I've got a plastic one but dont use it much, kinda prefer the wooden one.

Its just a cheap surface to chop on so I dont ruin the laminate on my countertop, no big deal.

I fall into this camp. At the end of the day, it's a piece of wood. I don't think I have the sophistication to notice or understand the difference between a cheap piece of wood and an expensive piece of wood.

Also, I use a cutting board probably twice a year. If I bought a $300 cutting board, that would equate to about $10 or $15 every time I pull it out of the cabinet.

Rain Man
06-15-2015, 05:53 PM
And don't even ****ing start with me on Richlite or Marlite.

I'm IN this goddamned business.

You're in cutting board sales? I bet you've been wanting a thread like this forever.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-15-2015, 05:59 PM
You're in cutting board sales? I bet you've been wanting a thread like this forever.

ROFLLMAO

Roundabout way. My company's business is custom food service equipment.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-15-2015, 06:01 PM
Wooden cutting boards can be rubbed down with boar semen and they will last forever.

BucEyedPea
06-15-2015, 06:47 PM
I don't think I have the sophistication to notice or understand the difference between a cheap piece of wood and an expensive piece of wood.

You know how you handle that? You practice chopping blind fold for a few days on a pricey board and then on your cheap board. Tell me how it feels. K? :p

cdcox
06-15-2015, 08:18 PM
I've been happy with my Epicurean board that I've owned for 5+ years. Easy on knives, dishwasher safe, never needs oiling, and is flat and light so it is easy to store. Moderate price.

HonestChieffan
06-15-2015, 08:27 PM
Ive made a ton of them. Its really not hard.

Fire Me Boy!
10-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Ive made a ton of them. Its really not hard.

Please tell me more. I would possibly be interested in a handmade board. And you seem honest. ;)

Fire Me Boy!
10-04-2015, 08:57 AM

I am admittedly a bit of a cutting board whore. I have a large reversible Boos - one is for cutting the other is for pastry - that's always on the counter. I have a plastic one that I use mostly for meat and "smelly" veggies (onion, mostly). I have a smaller wooden one that comes out occasionally, and I'm drooling over another one right now. I just put away a large hand-made end-cut maple board. It was beautiful, especially when I oiled it. But it was never really flat on the bottom and tended to rock, so it didn't get a lot of use.

For you, I really think you'd like something like this: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001CMRQUW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QDYDWIDQHMED&coliid=I208W545DL1WQL

This one would work well because it's "low maintenance." It won't warp on you, won't crack, and you don't even have to oil it.

Saccopoo
10-04-2015, 09:06 AM
When you are ready to step up from Boos:

http://www.brooklynbutcherblocks.com/

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XpyGEZYHyjU/VQ5Y0Uov0xI/AAAAAAAASwU/80x0pP2x4rA/s1600/4%2BIMG_0141_1024x1024.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
10-04-2015, 09:11 AM
When you are ready to step up from Boos:

http://www.brooklynbutcherblocks.com/

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XpyGEZYHyjU/VQ5Y0Uov0xI/AAAAAAAASwU/80x0pP2x4rA/s1600/4%2BIMG_0141_1024x1024.jpg

I've looked at them before. They make some gorgeous boards!

Honestly, what I really like about the Boos (and what sold me on it) is the ledge that hangs off the counter, which is awesome for working with pastry and breads. Really helps to keep the board in place when kneading.