PDA

View Full Version : Football Weddle

BossChief
06-18-2015, 10:50 AM
I hate the fact this guy plays for SD. Hate it. He's one of my favorite players in the league and IMO is an elite safety.

I'm taking a month or 2 hiatus from work to spend more time with the kids and just watched his press conference where he slams SD for not even offering him a new deal and has told his agent that if a deal isn't in place by the time camp comes around that he isn't to even talk to them about next year.

I can't believe he said that in a open press conference.

This is the last year under contract for Hussein Abdullah/Eric Berry and who knows what Tyvonne Branch/Sanders Commings will do, but if a long term option doesn't emerge this year, I'd LOVE to get Weddle for a similar deal to what TJ Ward got last year from Denver, next offseason. Maybe even go a little higher. He will be 31, but the guy is a very smart and physical player that would add to this defense.

Guys like him (good in coverage and in run support) are worth their weight in gold in today's NFL.

staylor26
06-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Gotta love the whole situation with Weddle/Rivers and the front office. Not a good look for the Chargers at all.

loochy
06-18-2015, 10:57 AM
This is my favorite weddle play:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D_nRlNuE0rk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ModSocks
06-18-2015, 10:57 AM
He slammed them because they openly gave him the finger. They pretty much told him that they're not offering him a contract, so don't bother calling us.

BossChief
06-18-2015, 11:10 AM
He slammed them because they openly gave him the finger. They pretty much told him that they're not offering him a contract, so don't bother calling us.

I'd love to have a pissed off motivated Weddle for a couple years (with a contract that looks like a 5 year deal)

My dream scenario is getting Berry back next year AND signing Weddle.

3 safeties being

Parker
Berry
Weddle

OldSchool
06-18-2015, 11:25 AM
I'd love to have a pissed off motivated Weddle for a couple years (with a contract that looks like a 5 year deal)

3 safeties being

Parker
Berry
Weddle

If only he was younger.

BossChief
06-18-2015, 11:29 AM
If only he was younger.

31 isn't that old. Dawkins went to Denver at 36 and made. 2/3 probowl before retiring at 38.

Weddle seems to take good care of himself.

Mr. Laz
06-18-2015, 11:59 AM
beware giving big contracts to guys over 30

O.city
06-18-2015, 12:00 PM

3 safeties being

Parker
Berry
Weddle

Would we play offense? Not sure we'd have the money to field one. LMAO

ThaVirus
06-18-2015, 01:25 PM
No, thanks.

Guy's 5'3", 40 years old, was never a physical specimen to begin with, and plays pretty rough.

mcaj22
06-18-2015, 02:15 PM
what is your obsession with elite NFL players entering their 30s on the backends of their careers?

BossChief
06-18-2015, 02:17 PM
Would we play offense? Not sure we'd have the money to field one. LMAO

Besides the OL, what offensive positions need upgrading?

I love our top 4 WRs in Maclin, Wilson, Conley and Thomas...it's not like we need to spend big dollars there

QB is already paid and if he gets replaced, it will be with a rookie contract guy that will save cap dollars.

Charles and Davis both have big time ability...no need there for big $ investment.

At TE we already have an absolute beast with Kelce and with Oshaunnesy/Harris as the backups, it's not like we need a major investment there. At least not a big $ vet because were desperate.

That leaves the OL..next year, we may need to buy a starting player in FA but again, that's not gonna cost big $.

I'd have no problem bolstering the defense while the money is there.

I'd hand him a contract exactly like Donte Whitner got from Cleveland

4 years
28 million total
11 guaranteed

Breaks down each year like this:

The first 2 years guaranteed, basically at 11m total...but also gives 2 additional years if he is still playing at a high level at that point.

BossChief
06-18-2015, 02:25 PM
what is your obsession with elite NFL players entering their 30s on the backends of their careers?

It's actually pretty rare when I want us to sign an aging vet...just a timing coincidence that I would have liked the fit of Mathis here (I think this offense would perform best with a top shelf OL) and Weddle is one of my favorite players and is hungry at this point to win and the guy leaves it all on the field. It's not like he's ever had injury issues....he's only missed 4 games his whole career.

hometeam
06-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Screw Weddle.. JC has eaten his lunch too many times to count.

BossChief
06-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Screw Weddle.. JC has eaten his lunch too many times to count.

Unfair criticism.

"I don't want prime Champ Bailey, he got beat by Randy Moss a few times."

thabear04
06-18-2015, 03:10 PM
I'll add him in the new Madden.

ThaVirus
06-18-2015, 03:25 PM
We just handed Ron Parker a contract potentially worth $30 mil. Sean Smith is a potential big money re-signing after this year. We've got a couple (hopefully) stud corners in Peters and Gaines that may need to be extended in a couple or three years.

That's not to mention Houston and Poe with Ford being a possible extension candidate if he's able to shine with Hali's departure.

I just don't think this signing would be prudent at the cost you propose.

hometeam
06-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Lol.

Weddle isnt Champ Bailey. Champ Bailey could outplay him at safety RIGHT NOW.

Hes Eric Weddle. He's not special, he's overrated, old, and JC owns him.

Hes JAG.

BossChief
06-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Lol.

Hes JAG.

You seem to have missed the point. I wasn't comparing him to Bailey as much as I was saying it doesn't matter that he got beat by Jamaal Charles because everybody does.

And he is one of the most underrated players in the league IMO. If he was on a better defense, like ours, he would be an absolute monster.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-18-2015, 07:32 PM
The safety position is fine for the foreseeable future

Mr. Laz
06-19-2015, 11:10 AM
The safety position is fine for the foreseeable future

we hope

Berry - illness, huge contract
Parker - we'll see
Abdullah - last year of contract
Tyvon Branch - will he break again?

Next year we could be starting over at the safety position.

commings
mcray
sorenson

BossChief
06-19-2015, 12:50 PM
we hope

Berry - illness, huge contract
Parker - we'll see
Abdullah - last year of contract
Tyvon Branch - will he break again?

Next year we could be starting over at the safety position.

commings
mcray
sorenson

Lots of uncertainty

ModSocks
06-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Lol.

Hes JAG.

You can't be serious. Weddle is a multiple 1st Team All-Pro Selection. He's one of the top safeties in the NFL and has been for awhile now.

A JAG?

LMAO

ModSocks
06-19-2015, 02:15 PM
You seem to have missed the point. I wasn't comparing him to Bailey as much as I was saying it doesn't matter that he got beat by Jamaal Charles because everybody does.

And he is one of the most underrated players in the league IMO. If he was on a better defense, like ours, he would be an absolute monster.

He's not even underrated. He's a freaking 3-time pro bowler and 5-time All Pro. You can't be under rated with those kind of accolades....

Hometeam has no idea what he's talking about.

And when he hits F/A, assuming he doesn't have a down year, he's going to get $$paid$$

CoMoChief
06-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Nobody talks about this but we need a "good" backup NT.

Poe plays damn near every down. Dude has to be gassed a lot during the course of a game.

SAUTO
06-19-2015, 06:34 PM

Poe plays damn near every down. Dude has to be gassed a lot during the course of a game.

Lots of people talk about this, and have many times.

Someone actually claimed that it made him be in better shape and condition by the end of the season, he wasn't gassed at all...

Lil stump I think it might have been.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-19-2015, 06:51 PM
Fuck Weddle. There will be more pressing needs. But but but all four safeties may get the plague!!!!

stumppy
06-19-2015, 07:30 PM
Lots of people talk about this, and have many times.

Someone actually claimed that it made him be in better shape and condition by the end of the season, he wasn't gassed at all...

Lil stump I think it might have been.

Not one of his more insightful opinions.

Mr. Laz
06-19-2015, 08:17 PM

What makes you think that Sutton would use any backup?

hometeam
06-19-2015, 08:28 PM
You can't be serious. Weddle is a multiple 1st Team All-Pro Selection. He's one of the top safeties in the NFL and has been for awhile now.

A JAG?

LMAO

As I said, hes way overrated. I have never seen shit out of him that makes me think hes anyone but a middle tier cover FS. Hes overrated. If he was black, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Media and people seem to have some boner over white safetys.. except this guy is no John Lynch, hes just the only white safety who has a little name recognition and a west coast media market, so he gets the overrating.

hometeam
06-19-2015, 08:31 PM
He's not even underrated. He's a freaking 3-time pro bowler and 5-time All Pro. You can't be under rated with those kind of accolades....

And when he hits F/A, assuming he doesn't have a down year, he's going to get $$paid$$

I have lots of idea what I'm talking about. I have watched almost every single Chargers game over the past 7 years, have you?

No offensive coordinator goes 'oh gee, Eric Weddle! Lets make sure and game plan around HIM' or 'Be careful not throw the ball Weddles way Alex!'

Please.

ModSocks
06-19-2015, 08:40 PM
I have lots of idea what I'm talking about. I have watched almost every single Chargers game over the past 7 years, have you?

No offensive coordinator goes 'oh gee, Eric Weddle! Lets make sure and game plan around HIM' or 'Be careful not throw the ball Weddles way Alex!'

Please.

LMAO. I live in San Diego. You think i don't watch Charger games while living in the city they play for? That's funny. I can't turn on sports radio or watch TV during football season with out seeing the Chargers. Of course i watch the games, lol. You serious?

I didn't realize Jefferson City was such a hot bad for Charger fans....the more you learn...

And to say he's over rated....well that's different than being a JAG. You can feel he's over rated, that's fine.

But a JAG? GTFO with that. That's a bunch of BS.

hometeam
06-19-2015, 08:47 PM
LMAO. I live in San Diego. You think i don't watch Charger games while living in the city they play for? That's funny. I can't turn on sports radio or watch TV during football season with out seeing the Chargers. Of course i watch the games, lol. You serious?

I didn't realize Jefferson City was such a hot bad for Charger fans....the more you learn...

And to say he's over rated....well that's different than being a JAG. You can feel he's over rated, that's fine.

But a JAG? GTFO with that. That's a bunch of BS.

I have a buddy that comes over every Sunday to watch football on direct ticket. Hes a traitorous bastard Charger fan, so I literally have watched nearly every single game over the past 7 years.

He shows up wearing chargers shoes, hat, pants, and jersey, and I like to troll him on how Weddle is a nobody.

I stand by my opinion. As for dipshit chargers fans who are hiding behind neg reps, come out and play, prove me wrong. I'm a sucker for evidence.

JAG was a little strong, but hes nobody that I would covet to have on my team. I wouldn't complain if he was dirt cheap, but anything over that and I would begin to question why.

BossChief
06-19-2015, 09:23 PM

Please.

So, you skip chiefs games to watch SD games?

Cool

hometeam
06-19-2015, 09:26 PM
So, you skip chiefs games to watch SD games?

Cool

Most SD games are on in the afternoon, Chiefs are early. Sometimes they are on at the same time and KC game stays on while we watch SD game on commercial. If I go to the game, we will watch it off DVR later or on Monday. Its not hard, and you have no idea how crazy my friend is about making sure he watches it.

Wont be doing any of that this year, cut the cord and no longer have Direct Ticket or DVR~

Gadzooks
06-19-2015, 09:34 PM
As for dipshit chargers fans who are hiding behind neg reps, come out and play, prove me wrong.

Who's neg repping you?
While he's not a JAG, he's probably not worth what was paid over his last contract, let alone what he's asking for now. The GM, Telesco, basically came out and said the same based on comparison stats provided by Weddle's agent.

People on this board like to call Rivers a "cry baby". If anything he's a "loud mouth". Weddle's being a "cry baby".

BlackOp
06-19-2015, 11:46 PM
SD fans think he's over-rated....that's not usually a good sign. KC doesn't need him. If it was an area of weakness...I would be more interested. Chiefs dont have many area's of concern besides OL. They really landed the best WR they could get this off season...and Conely might actually turn into a good player. Shore up Smith and Poe..then address the LBs. Still holding out that Kendricks will be had via trade. I would rather have him than Weddle...

mdchiefsfan
06-20-2015, 05:56 AM
He's not even underrated. He's a freaking 3-time pro bowler and 5-time All Pro. You can't be under rated with those kind of escalades....

FYP :thumb:

Saccopoo
06-20-2015, 07:53 AM
As I said, hes way overrated. I have never seen shit out of him that makes me think hes anyone but a middle tier cover FS. Hes overrated. If he was black, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Media and people seem to have some boner over white safetys.. except this guy is no John Lynch, hes just the only white safety who has a little name recognition and a west coast media market, so he gets the overrating.

http://newnownext.mtvnimages.com/2015/04/giphy-29.gif