PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why 3 rookies could start for the Chiefs

BossChief
06-19-2015, 09:44 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/12362/12362

NFL Nation reporter Adam Teicher assesses which rookies on the Chiefs could earn a starting berth this season.

Why Marcus Peters could start: The Chiefs are well-stocked at cornerback so they don’t need to rush Peters, their first-round draft pick, into the lineup. In Sean Smith, Phillip Gaines, Jamell Fleming and Marcus Cooper, the Chiefs have four players who started at least one game for them at corner last season. There could still be ample opportunity for Peters to earn significant playing time or a starting spot. Smith faces a possible NFL suspension for a violation of the league’s substance-abuse policy after pleading guilty to a DUI in Kansas City. If Smith is out for the first couple of games, his absence leaves a huge gap that Peters could fill. Beyond that, six different players started at least one game at cornerback for the Chiefs last season so there’s always a need. Peters missed most of offseason practice because his college academic term at Washington hadn’t concluded. He also was thrown off his team before his final collegiate season had ended because of a confrontation with an assistant coach. Peters might need more time to develop than most first-round draft picks.

Second-round pick Mitch Morse could find a home at center or guard sooner rather than later. Alex Menendez/Getty Images
Why Mitch Morse could start: As with cornerback and Peters, the Chiefs have enough bodies on their offensive line that they don’t have to rush Morse into their lineup before he’s ready. But unlike at cornerback, the Chiefs don’t have a lot of established offensive linemen, so Morse will be given an opportunity to start at either center or right guard. Morse, a second-round draft pick, started at center and tackle at various times in college at Missouri, but guard could be his best position in the NFL. Eventually, if not sooner, he will be a starter somewhere along Kansas City's line and if he isn’t an immediate starter, Morse could be the first player off the bench at either center or guard. The presence of Morse allows the Chiefs to investigate possible trades for one or more of their veteran offensive linemen. Jeff Allen, who can play guard or right tackle, might not win a starting job for the Chiefs but could be a valuable player for another team looking for line help.

Why Chris Conley could start: The Chiefs had by most statistical measures the worst group of wide receivers in the NFL last season. The Chiefs failed to get a single touchdown catch from a wide receiver last season. So any receiver with potential will get a long look, and the Chiefs gave a lot of work to Conley, a third-round pick from Georgia, in offseason practice. Conley ran a 4.35 40 at the combine, so he’s fast enough to be a big-play threat. He not only can get open deep but showed the ability to run after the catch in his month of practice with the Chiefs. Kansas City signed veteran Jeremy Maclin to be its top wide receiver and Conley was playing his position during the offseason. Conley took Maclin’s spot with the starting lineup for one day when the veteran was out with an injury. He’ll have to learn the other outside receiving position if he’s to get significant playing time as a rookie. That spot is occupied by Albert Wilson, but Conley could also make a claim for that position. In addition, the Chiefs plan to look at Conley as a kickoff returner during training camp and the preseason. That’s another spot where he could make an impact.

Hammock Parties
06-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Because we're not that good.

Saccopoo
06-19-2015, 09:47 AM

Actually, we are.

KurtCobain
06-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Chris Conley should definitely start.

Hammock Parties
06-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Actually, we are.

Imagine if all 3 of those rookies bust.

Gonna be some holes.

ILChief
06-19-2015, 09:50 AM

Trolling till the bitter end

Three7s
06-19-2015, 09:52 AM

Gonna be some holes.
And what happens if they're good? :hmmm:

BossChief
06-19-2015, 09:52 AM

Gonna be some holes.

Hahahahahahaha

KurtCobain
06-19-2015, 09:53 AM

We start making the playoffs every single year only to still never win a game.

Perineum Ripper
06-19-2015, 09:53 AM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-cause-we-going-to-the-ship.png

BossChief
06-19-2015, 09:55 AM
If Morse doesn't start, I'll be extremely disappointed.

Fisher
Grubbs
Kush
Morse
Stephenson

The Franchise
06-19-2015, 09:58 AM
If Morse doesn't start, I'll be extremely disappointed.

Fisher
Grubbs
Kush
Morse
Stephenson

Depends on how they view him and if Kush is any good. Hudson didn't start his first year.....right? They kept him at center behind Weigmann IIRC.

Hammock Parties
06-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Might be a special season.

The odds of a 1st, 2nd AND 3rd round pick all working out immediately are slim, though.

Mizzou_8541
06-19-2015, 10:00 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/12362/12362

NFL Nation reporter Adam Teicher assesses which rookies on the Chiefs could earn a starting berth this season.

Why Marcus Peters could start: The Chiefs are well-stocked at cornerback so they don’t need to rush Peters, their first-round draft pick, into the lineup. In Sean Smith, Phillip Gaines, Jamell Fleming and Marcus Cooper, the Chiefs have four players who started at least one game for them at corner last season. There could still be ample opportunity for Peters to earn significant playing time or a starting spot. Smith faces a possible NFL suspension for a violation of the league’s substance-abuse policy after pleading guilty to a DUI in Kansas City. If Smith is out for the first couple of games, his absence leaves a huge gap that Peters could fill. Beyond that, six different players started at least one game at cornerback for the Chiefs last season so there’s always a need. Peters missed most of offseason practice because his college academic term at Washington hadn’t concluded. He also was thrown off his team before his final collegiate season had ended because of a confrontation with an assistant coach. Peters might need more time to develop than most first-round draft picks.

Sorry for the probably dumb question, but I don't understand the bolded parts. Did four players start at corner or six? If six, who were the other two?

BossChief
06-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Sorry for the probably dumb question, but I don't understand the bolded parts. Did four players start at corner or six? If six, who were the other two?

Ron Parker and ....hmmmm

Sandy Vagina
06-19-2015, 10:05 AM
It's admittedly a long-shot, but how about Ramik Wilson starting next to DJ instead of Mauga? :hmmm:

BossChief
06-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Depends on how they view him and if Kush is any good. Hudson didn't start his first year.....right? They kept him at center behind Weigmann IIRC.

Hudson backed up all 3 interior spots as a rookie and started a couple games at left guard when Lilja got hurt iirc.

Then he started his second year at center and got hurt 3 games in.

BossChief
06-19-2015, 10:08 AM
Might be a special season.

The odds of a 1st, 2nd AND 3rd round pick all working out immediately are slim, though.

These aren't run of the mill guys, though.

I don't know much about Morse, but Peters and Conley could be special.

Saccopoo
06-19-2015, 10:09 AM

They will do the same with Morse and Jeff Allen this season.

If Allen isn't your starter at RG, I'm going to be massively shocked. However, he's a URFA after this season and will likely get an Asamoah level contract from someone. Morse will be brought up to NFL speed and most likely be your 2016 starter at RG.

phisherman
06-19-2015, 10:13 AM

My assumption is that 6 different players started at CB for the Chiefs last year, and 2 of them are no longer on the Chiefs roster, or are no longer listed as CBs on the depth chart.

RunKC
06-19-2015, 10:15 AM
Chris Conley is gonna show everyone that it was incredibly stupid to pass on him until round 3.
Only thing that could hold him back is Andy like he did with Kelce early last year.

Peters will struggle. CB is one of the hardest positions in sports especially with the new rules.
I think it's incredibly rare to see a rookie CB ball out early.

Saccopoo
06-19-2015, 10:16 AM

I don't know much about Morse, but Peters and Conley could be special.

Dorsey has stated that he felt Peters was the best cover corner in the last four drafts. Dude is absolutely shutdown when he's on. There is a lot of people who felt he was the best player on the UW team - a team that had four guys go in the first 44 picks of the 2015 NFL Draft. If he can keep his head on straight, they flat out stole him.

Conley has all the potential in the world. I wonder a bit why he didn't dominate more at the collegiate level, but it sounds like he was the consummate teammate and was most likely doing the little things that kept his stats down a bit. System, QB, etc. With his size and combine numbers and intelligence, you wonder why he wasn't an automatic first rounder.

All Morse has to be is 5% better than Jeff Allen in 2016. If he's that, it's a solid pick and he should play a long time with this team.

raybec 4
06-19-2015, 10:18 AM
Ron Parker and ....hmmmm

Owens

Hammock Parties
06-19-2015, 10:22 AM

Homer tripe.

The odds of a third round WR aren't great, especially with our QB.

Mizzou_8541
06-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Owens

Ah, that's it. Thank you.

Hammock Parties
06-19-2015, 10:23 AM
If Allen isn't your starter at RG, I'm going to be massively shocked. However, he's a URFA after this season and will likely get an Asamoah level contract from someone.

He's hot garbage. He'll sign with someone else as a backup. He should not be starting in this league...unless you are the Chiefs and you don't care.

RunKC
06-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Conley didn't get many receptions at Georgia. A lot of that was because they had Todd Gurley and focused mostly on him.

Last year, Georgia's QB was basically a first year starter. They still didn't throw it that often as Conley was the leadig receiver in the last 2 years.

Here's something to ponder: Conley only had 36 receptions, but had 17 yards avg per catch. Amari Cooper had 124 receptions.

Conley had 8 TD's and 650 ish yards last year on 36 catches. Imagine what his stats would be had he been more involved and had 3X as many catches like Cooper did.

He would have been a first rd pick

Bob Dole
06-19-2015, 10:41 AM
You know Smith is going to get suspended. There is apparently some NFL rule that KC can never start a season with their real starters in the game.

Mr. Laz
06-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Anyone that watches Conley pluck the ball out of the air should hopes he starts.

Size,speed,hands,smarts ...

If he is our DGB then our offense should take a huge leap forward.

Maclin,Conley,Wilson,DaT could be our best WR group in decades.

yes, Conley gives me wood. So! :harumph:

ILChief
06-19-2015, 12:24 PM
He's hot garbage. He'll sign with someone else as a backup. He should not be starting in this league...unless you are the Chiefs and you don't care.

Yeah, the Chiefs don't care

CoMoChief
06-19-2015, 03:58 PM
wish we had a real qb for once.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Actually, we are.

I agree. This narrative needs to stop. The Chiefs are as stacked as any team in the league. No play off wins this season can squarely be foisted upon Reid/Smith.

No excuses.

No Alexscuses.

No Reidscuses.

That fucking show better be over. It's year three you middling bitches, shit or get off the pot.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Because we drafted well.

Totally agree :thumb:

Pasta Little Brioni
06-19-2015, 07:15 PM

Chiefs are loaded

Sandy Vagina
06-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Chiefs are loaded

Maclin, Alex, and Kelce stay healthy... OL is not total suck... and yes. Deep playoff team. :D

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-19-2015, 08:10 PM
Chiefs are loaded

This.

Every team has learning curves for new personnel, but the core of this team is proven.

It's coaching and execution now.

OldSchool
06-19-2015, 10:04 PM
Chiefs are loaded

Defensively this is true, I wouldn't say that for the offense. Unless Harris gets healthy very quickly, we're actually pretty thin at TE and Kelce hasn't exactly been Mr. Reliable in terms of his health. Our RBs may be ok for a few games with a combo of Davis and DAT taking on the load if Charles misses any significant time, but the pass pro from that position will be sorely missed on top of the big plays that Charles can bring. At WR, we're screwed if Maclin goes down, back to worst WR core in the league, not that it would be a very far drop.
On the OL, if either Grubbs or Fisher goes down, we're gonna be in a heap of trouble as well.

Saccopoo
06-19-2015, 11:19 PM
Defensively this is true, I wouldn't say that for the offense. Unless Harris gets healthy very quickly, we're actually pretty thin at TE and Kelce hasn't exactly been Mr. Reliable in terms of his health. Our RBs may be ok for a few games with a combo of Davis and DAT taking on the load if Charles misses any significant time, but the pass pro from that position will be sorely missed on top of the big plays that Charles can bring. At WR, we're screwed if Maclin goes down, back to worst WR core in the league, not that it would be a very far drop.
On the OL, if either Grubbs or Fisher goes down, we're gonna be in a heap of trouble as well.

53 man roster. You can make those points about any team.

Thing is, other than TE, this is a pretty deep and talented team. Fisher goes down, you slide Stephenson over to LT and Allen goes RT. Both have started at each of those positions. Fanaika, Fulton or Morse takes RG. That's not the end of the world. And Allen is a two year starter at LG if Grubbs goes down.

You are totally forgetting Sherman in the back mix. Davis has proven he can run and produce big when given the chance.

If Conley progresses quickly, even if Maclin goes down, it's still a better receiving corps than last season.

Discuss Thrower
06-20-2015, 12:10 AM
If Conley progresses quickly, even if Maclin goes down, it's still a better receiving corps than last season.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kRmc9IPGmiA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I give it six weeks before people are calling it worse than last year's.. Which will solely be a product of people having inflated expectations for this season.

On paper, the '15 Chiefs will look somewhat better than the '14 Chiefs, but it's not going to translate into more wins.

staylor26
06-20-2015, 12:13 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kRmc9IPGmiA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I give it six weeks before people are calling it worse than last year's.. Which will solely be a product of people having inflated expectations for this season.

On paper, the '15 Chiefs will look somewhat better than the '14 Chiefs, but it's not going to translate into more wins.

Fucking clueless

mdchiefsfan
06-20-2015, 05:51 AM
****ing clueless

Hand around for a bit; you'll see it's a frequent occurrence.

Saccopoo
06-20-2015, 08:02 AM

There is not a chance in hell that it's worse than last years.

It's better than last years just by having a full, healthy offseason for Wilson and Avant (both of whom didn't get reps until the last quarter of the 2014 season) and the switch of DAT to primarily receiver.

It's better because of Grubbs, Allen and Stephenson. It's better because of a full, healthy off-season by Fisher.

It's better because of a healthy Jamaal Charles.

And that's not even including Maclin and Conley.

It's fucking light years better than last year. The term exponential should be used.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-20-2015, 08:19 AM
Did someone just say that if every starter goes down then yeah the offense will struggle ROFL Duh

Saccopoo
06-20-2015, 08:28 AM
2014:
Bowe
Avery
Hemingway
Wilson
Avant
Hammond

2015:
Maclin
Conley
Wilson
Avant
Thomas
Hemingway

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KCO-SBPTF5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pasta Little Brioni
06-20-2015, 08:58 AM
Count thought Huard to Bowe was a dangerous combo

Tombstone RJ
06-20-2015, 09:33 AM
2014:
Bowe
Avery
Hemingway
Wilson
Avant
Hammond

2015:
Maclin
Conley
Wilson
Avant
Thomas
Hemingway

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KCO-SBPTF5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Isn't Conley a rookie who has never taken a snap in an NFL game?

Saccopoo
06-20-2015, 09:45 AM

And how excited were Bronco fans when Heuerman was drafted?

Mr. Laz
06-20-2015, 09:48 AM

we have several guys that aren't proven yet who are being labeled quality starters around here.

positive thinking, i guess :shrug:

Pasta Little Brioni
06-20-2015, 09:52 AM

Denver is nothing without Manning.

Saccopoo
06-20-2015, 10:38 AM
we have several guys that aren't proven yet who are being labeled quality starters around here.

positive thinking, i guess :shrug:

I'm not saying that Conley is anything other than a rookie, but based on what we are hearing from OTA speak, he's got the potential to add to the position versus what we had in 2014. Yeah, he's a rookie. So were Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Sammy Watkins, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Mathews, Donte Moncrief, Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, John Brown, etc.

Conley is coming into a situation with the Chiefs where he's going to see the ball. A lot. Maclin is going to draw the #1 DB and Conley is going to get his opportunities because of it, especially if he can assimilate the playbook and route tree quickly.

RunKC
06-20-2015, 11:02 AM
The offense is exponentially better.

Here's what you're going from.

-A slower WR that has bipolar hands to a YAC WR who can fly and has excellent reliable hands.
-The WORST rated G on PFF to a pro bowl caliber G.
-A LT in his first year at LT in the NFL who mostly struggled with his punch and strength to a more experienced LT who is much stronger and has a better punch.
-A rookie G who was amongst the slowest and worst downfield blockers to a stronger same player vs stronger high 2nd round pick who is a better downfield blocker vs a high round draft pick who has elite strength and technique vs a G with elite measurables from Canada.
-An injured TE core (minus Kelce) to a healthy TE in Harris with another athletic TE who can run like a WR (like Kelce).
-Off the street terrible OT (haha Broncos) to a healthy, stronger Stephenson at RT who actually looked solid in the 2nd half of 2013.
-WR depth that included Junior "I can't catch a football" Hemmingway and AJ "I can't stay in bounds" Jenkins and a limited route running DAT most of the season to Wilson and DAT learning and being more involved in the playbook, Conley as another YAC weapon with good hands and a WR who actually knows the system.

It's not even close.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2015, 12:18 PM
lol at thinking anyone on the line is an upgrade

Mr. Laz
06-20-2015, 12:24 PM
The offense is exponentially better.

Here's what you're going from.

-A slower WR that has bipolar hands to a YAC WR who can fly and has excellent reliable hands.
-The WORST rated G on PFF to a pro bowl caliber G.
-A LT in his first year at LT in the NFL who mostly struggled with his punch and strength to a more experienced LT who is much stronger and has a better punch.
-A rookie G who was amongst the slowest and worst downfield blockers to a stronger same player vs stronger high 2nd round pick who is a better downfield blocker vs a high round draft pick who has elite strength and technique vs a G with elite measurables from Canada.
-An injured TE core (minus Kelce) to a healthy TE in Harris with another athletic TE who can run like a WR (like Kelce).
-Off the street terrible OT (haha Broncos) to a healthy, stronger Stephenson at RT who actually looked solid in the 2nd half of 2013.
-WR depth that included Junior "I can't catch a football" Hemmingway and AJ "I can't stay in bounds" Jenkins and a limited route running DAT most of the season to Wilson and DAT learning and being more involved in the playbook, Conley as another YAC weapon with good hands and a WR who actually knows the system.

It's not even close. you are correct on paper

let's see what happens

Saccopoo
06-20-2015, 12:34 PM

Grubbs is an upgrade. Easily.
- McGlynn/Linkenbach was the worst OG in the league. A full trash can is an upgrade, let alone a Pro Bowler.

Stephenson back into the lineup is an upgrade over Harris.
- Harris was abysmal. Stephenson was playing very well to close out the 2013 season. And Don is one of, if not the most athletically gifted OL guy in the NFL. He gets back on track this year.

Allen back into the lineup over Fulton is an upgrade.
- I understand you don't like him, but he's substantially more mobile and athletic than either Fulton or Fanaika and has good tools for the RG spot in this system. Allen is going to be okay this season.

Fisher 2015 is an upgrade to Fisher 2014.
- First off-season he's been healthy and we've all read about his increase in lean muscle mass and strength. He turns the corner in 2015.

Kush is not an upgrade to Hudson. But if he's 60% performance level to his position league wide, he and the team/line are going to be just fine. And having Grubbs and Allen next to him will help.

And all of these guys except Grubbs know the system, played in the system and have started in the system.

This will be the best offensive line the Chiefs have fielded since 2006.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2015, 12:40 PM
lol...I just love it...it never ends

Bob Dole
06-20-2015, 12:52 PM

Is it possible for you to stop being a douchebag?

Hammock Parties
06-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Is it possible for you to stop being a douchebag?

OK OK...I'll lay off until the QB hits start flying.

RunKC
06-20-2015, 01:05 PM

Your trolling needs work

pugsnotdrugs19
06-20-2015, 01:27 PM
In my mind, with a guy as athletically gifted and smart as Conley, he has to be the #2 WR (provided he has a good camp). Then you have to wonder how we get all these guys on the field. Obviously Maclin, Charles, and Kelce are locks to be on the field A LOT. So is Sherman for a good chunk. If Conley takes this job, you have guys like Wilson and DAT on the sideline far too often. I guess that'd be a good problem to have? It'll be interesting here in a month.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Inmen level troll attempt

mdchiefsfan
06-20-2015, 01:33 PM
The Diet Coke of trolling: not quite trolling enough!

OldSchool
06-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Did someone just say that if every starter goes down then yeah the offense will struggle ROFL Duh

Even with Maclin in the lineup, this WR core is still bottom 5 until proven otherwise. Our expect #2 is a UDFA and our big hope is a 3rd rounder. And there really is nothing behind Kelce unless Harris gets healthy quickly. The OL isn't exactly set either and it still consists mostly of trash.

Tombstone RJ
06-20-2015, 10:37 PM
And how excited were Bronco fans when Heuerman was drafted?

pissed off, actually. Dude was injured to begin with and his final year in college was nothing special. Then he gets injured in some off season program bs. Oh well, he'll have a full year to heal his friggen foot, along with his knee.

Tombstone RJ
06-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Denver is nothing without Manning.

I wish TT knew that...

TEX
06-21-2015, 07:48 AM
I don't care who starts and why. I just want to beat Denver this year.

chiefzilla1501
06-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Everything I've read hints that Morse wouldn't be ready to start right away at Center. I also don't know how quickly Conley gets on the field. I know he's smart and run a pro offense, but lots of smart receivers struggle to grasp the Reid offense right away.

I would imagine the Chiefs give a trial run to Kush early but have Morse ready the minute they know Kush isn't the guy. And I'd bet the Chiefs start with test DAT out in the slot early with Conley getting reps as a #4 option. I'd also bet the Chiefs run a lot of 3 TE sets or 2 TEs + FB where you wouldn't need a slot option.

milkman
06-21-2015, 09:08 AM
Everything I've read hints that Morse wouldn't be ready to start right away at Center. I also don't know how quickly Conley gets on the field. I know he's smart and run a pro offense, but lots of smart receivers struggle to grasp the Reid offense right away.

Given his tools, I'm betting that they work on packages to get Conley on the field for as many snaps as possible.
I also believe that he will ingest the playbook relatively quickly, and have those packages increased substantially over the course of the season.

I would imagine the Chiefs give a trial run to Kush early but have Morse ready the minute they know Kush isn't the guy. And I'd bet the Chiefs start with test DAT out in the slot early with Conley getting reps as a #4 option. I'd also bet the Chiefs run a lot of 3 TE sets or 2 TEs + FB where you wouldn't need a slot option.

I have to think the Chiefs are going to be experimenting with someone other than Morse and Kush at center.
It seems like I remember them tinkering with Allen at center a bit in last year's TC, so he might be a candidate this season.

I am not convinced that Kush isn't going to be a huge failure.

And who the hell are you going to trot out there for 3 TE sets?

Mr. Laz
06-21-2015, 11:08 AM

If we wanted to run multiple tightend sets we should have made more of an effort to get another quality TE.

like Maxx Williams in the 2nd round