PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Home security cameras

Silock
06-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Neighbor's house got broken into a few nights ago. Wasn't even dark, just dusk. And they live on the corner of a busy street, right where traffic could easily see someone bust down the door, in theory. But no one saw them, and they were in and out with a couple of TVs and a few other random items. Not a big theft.

But, it's got me concerned. We have an alarm system already, plus our dogs (police officer that was working the neighbor's case said that our dogs were probably the best deterrent - he's only seen one case in 20 years of someone breaking into a place with a dog, and only because that dog was a chihuahua that got locked up in a room). I'm not confident in this being the only security, so I was thinking of adding some cameras and additional motion-sensing flood lights to the dark sides of the house.

I like the idea of cameras, but we have a one-story house, and the cameras could easily get vandalized, thus negating their usefulness. What can be done about securing cameras in cases like this? There's really no good place to put it out of the way where it would be of any value in terms of what it could see.

DaFace
06-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Depending on how sophisticated you're wanting to be, you can get a cheap IP camera and have it direct upload to a cloud service. That way if you're broken into, you'll always have all the video taken before the cameras were damaged. They can require a lot of upload bandwidth though, so make sure your internet connection can handle it.

In terms of cameras like that, there are some cheap ones like Foscam that work well, but are a little more technical to set up. The advantage is they can upload to just about anything via FTP, so your options for online hosting are plentiful. If super easy is the main concern, Dropcam (or now Nest Cam) will fit the bill, though it costs $10/month for the retention service, and you have no options for alternatives.

I know nothing about the old-style multi camera setups that record in-house, so can't be of much help there.

gpsdude
06-23-2015, 09:29 AM
You can get covert IP cameras that do not look like the standard Dome cameras. You can get an IP camera that also has a miniSD slot so if the internet is cut from the camera, you still have recording.

http://www.amazon.com/ELP-Megapixel-Industrial-Pinhole-Network/dp/B00KA4OGF6

Rain Man
06-23-2015, 09:35 AM
You can get covert IP cameras that do not look like the standard Dome cameras. You can get an IP camera that also has a miniSD slot so if the internet is cut from the camera, you still have recording.

http://www.amazon.com/ELP-Megapixel-Industrial-Pinhole-Network/dp/B00KA4OGF6

I thought you generally want security cameras to be noticeable. Unless it's a home decor thing, maybe.

Silock
06-23-2015, 09:39 AM
If they're noticeable, they could be prone the vandalism or theft.

mdchiefsfan
06-23-2015, 09:44 AM

If prevention is the goal, you want them to be noticeable. You could put up decoys on be outside and cover the entrances to your household from the inside with hidden IPs. You get confirmation along with the prevention, minus destruction of noticeable cameras outside.

ReynardMuldrake
06-23-2015, 09:45 AM

People steal security cameras? Seems like a really stupid thing to do.

mdchiefsfan
06-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Plus 99.9% of the time the losers will go down the street to the next house not so well protected. The .1% that remains is for a person who knows you; therefore, knowing what valuables you have inside and what security you have. Could happen, but much less likely.

mdchiefsfan
06-23-2015, 09:48 AM

Don't put it past anyone.

ptlyon
I just use land mines

KCUnited
I guess it would depend on what you're worried about. Home invasion/rape/murder, you'd benefit from video. A break in? It's not like you're getting your stuff back if they catch them, you'd just be assisting the police in making an arrest and maybe some restitution. Maybe make some cheap ones visible as a deterrent.

Dogs, lights, alarm signage, and insurance are probably best for break ins.

Our neighbor across the street had his house outfitted with cameras. He and his wife were mugged at gun point in their driveway walking home one night and his video was still too hazy to make out a face. Seemed useless.

Silock
06-23-2015, 09:49 AM

I'm thinking less about theft, but someone with a mask could easily get away with it. That, or just straight up destroying the camera.

Silock
06-23-2015, 09:50 AM
I guess it would depend on what you're worried about. Home invasion/rape/murder, you'd benefit from video. A break in? It's not like you're getting your stuff back if they catch them, you'd just be assisting the police in making an arrest and maybe some restitution. Maybe make some cheap ones visible as a deterrent.

Dogs, lights, alarm signage, and insurance are probably best for break ins.

Our neighbor across the street had his house outfitted with cameras. He and his wife were mugged at gun point in their driveway walking home one night and his video was still too hazy to make out a face. Seemed useless.

Don't care about stuff recovery. It's just stuff. More concerned with prevention.

Predarat
06-23-2015, 09:52 AM
This is supposed to be Chiefs planet and nobody has suggested guns yet. So get some guns and kill them to death.

Rain Man
06-23-2015, 09:52 AM
If prevention is the goal, you want them to be noticeable. You could put up decoys on be outside and cover the entrances to your household from the inside with hidden IPs. You get confirmation along with the prevention, minus destruction of noticeable cameras outside.

It seems like the best combination would be to have fake cameras that are cheap and highly visible, and then have hidden high-res cameras pointed at where a person would stand if he/she is destroying or stealing the fake ones.

You could probably do the same system with dogs. Easily visible fake dog covered by stealth rottweiler behind a doggie door.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-23-2015, 01:30 PM
I was once told that window stickers and visible devices deter burglars. In reality once they break in even with an alarm they will be long gone before anyone responds. Unless you travel a lot and don't want your house sitting there ransacked, service is kind of pointless.

InChiefsHeaven
06-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Moat with piranhas. Lots of them.

KC native
06-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Most home burglaries happen during the day.

lewdog
06-23-2015, 04:29 PM
I was once told that window stickers and visible devices deter burglars. In reality once they break in even with an alarm they will be long gone before anyone responds. Unless you travel a lot and don't want your house sitting there ransacked, service is kind of pointless.

Most home burglaries happen during the day.

Very true and yes during day is most likely time. I am just hoping the alarm speeds up their process and they take less shit than a house with nothing happening where no one would know they are inside. I don't think cameras do much good. You would be filling with the insurance for stuff stolen anyway, catching them won't likely get your stuff back as they will have likely already done something with it.

Not sure how common it is in the midwest but we put security screen doors on both doors to our house. We have an alarm sensor on every window and door along with motion detector in living area. While the security screen doors are expensive ($1k each), they are solid steel with a solid steel frame that bolts into your existing frame with a one way bolt and many of them. The door then locks into that steel frame. Busting in through one of those would be a pain in the ass. Not to mention our heavy door behind that security door as well. Could be an option? Ours looks rather nice too and add to the appeal of the door area as well.

We hope that the security signs out front along with a steel security door would make our neighbors more likely to be robbed than us. Just so happened a few months ago someone on our street was robbed. They didn't have security doors but did have an alarm. One of the other neighbors saw someone walking up and down the block, likely looking for the easiest house to go into. Cops were called but they still managed to get in and grab a few things.

AustinChief
06-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Super aEgis II

http://www.pandorasfridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DSCN2036.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3ygFeywrvjc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

aturnis
06-23-2015, 04:37 PM
I thought you generally want security cameras to be noticeable. Unless it's a home decor thing, maybe.

True

aturnis
06-23-2015, 04:40 PM

If you get a good dome camera, it will be ripped off of the house before it'll be damaged. Only concern would be spray painting the lens, which is a silly concern if you ask me.

If someone is coordinating enough to spray paint your cameras, you're not going to stop them, and should probably associate with better people.

Otter
06-23-2015, 04:47 PM
A security camera might just allow you to get a picture of a guy in a mask. That's great when it comes to insurance agencies. I recommend one of these for the forethought and cameras as an after thought. Both are good ideas however. </br></br> http://dogbreeds.bulldoginformation.com/boxers-with-puppies.jpg</br></br>Which you already have. Just saying. :D

EPodolak
06-23-2015, 04:58 PM

I hate that fact.

The stickers and signage and actual presence of an alarm system are a deterrent though, easier for bad guys to go elsewhere.

HonestChieffan
06-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Call in an expert. Getting direction from a discussion board is absurd.

DaFace
06-23-2015, 05:55 PM
:spock:

They're security cameras, not rocket science.

Lonewolf Ed
06-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Or you could get a Rottweiler. Mine was a superb home security system!

lewdog
06-23-2015, 06:16 PM

The expert who will sell you shit you don't need? Good plan. Stick to DC chump.

Demonpenz
06-23-2015, 08:48 PM
IDK what you would do with the security cameras. Even with video evidence the cases I have seen just get chalked up to "Not enough evidence" with an extension to a detective that couldn't give less of a fuck.

Brock
06-23-2015, 09:57 PM

You're dumb. installing a security cam is easier than installing a fucking light fixture.

MMXcalibur
06-24-2015, 12:08 AM
Get a pug.

I dunno what it'll do to help with your situation, but pugs are super cute.

Omaha
06-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Neighbor's house got broken into a few nights ago. Wasn't even dark, just dusk. And they live on the corner of a busy street, right where traffic could easily see someone bust down the door, in theory. But no one saw them, and they were in and out with a couple of TVs and a few other random items. Not a big theft.

But, it's got me concerned. We have an alarm system already, plus our dogs (police officer that was working the neighbor's case said that our dogs were probably the best deterrent - he's only seen one case in 20 years of someone breaking into a place with a dog, and only because that dog was a chihuahua that got locked up in a room). I'm not confident in this being the only security, so I was thinking of adding some cameras and additional motion-sensing flood lights to the dark sides of the house.

I like the idea of cameras, but we have a one-story house, and the cameras could easily get vandalized, thus negating their usefulness. What can be done about securing cameras in cases like this? There's really no good place to put it out of the way where it would be of any value in terms of what it could see.

My friend owns a surveillance and security company. He's done this for retail stores, apartment buildings, & homes for years. He's in Omaha, but he has an online store and he'd give you some direction/advice if you called him. Ask for George.

http://www.silverhammersurveillance.com/