PDA

View Full Version : Life Switching Jobs

BigRichard
06-24-2015, 03:26 PM
Anyone else get horribly nervous going in to tell their boss they are switching positions? I don't know what it is but I just am super nervous, my heart is going 90 mph, and I feel like I am going to start sweating for no reason.

Funny thing is I hate the job, the boss, and several of the people I work with. You would think I would be dancing the jig right now. I am not even leaving the company, just moving to a position I think will be better for me.

On another note I am curious how other people would handle another situation I may find myself in.

So I believe I have a good chance of getting another job working with another company but I know they drag their feet for a long while and it is far from certain. I worked for them before and several of the people are pushing the boss to hire me back. I would prefer this job most likely but didn't want to turn down the other one to only be left in the wind considering how much I hate my current position. I don't think I have ever been more unhappy in a position than I have this one. Would anyone not take the current one offered knowing you would take the other one if and when it came up?

BigChiefFan
06-24-2015, 03:30 PM
I'd definitely change positions. There's nothing to worry about. Just give them ample time for you to make the switch then never look back.

Rausch
06-24-2015, 03:36 PM
I'd definitely change positions. There's nothing to worry about. Just give them ample time for you to make the switch then never look back.

This.

It's not unprofessional to do what's best for you.

Hell, it's stupid not to...

Saul Good
06-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Anyone else get horribly nervous going in to tell their boss they are switching positions? I don't know what it is but I just am super nervous, my heart is going 90 mph, and I feel like I am going to start sweating for no reason.

Funny thing is I hate the job, the boss, and several of the people I work with. You would think I would be dancing the jig right now. I am not even leaving the company, just moving to a position I think will be better for me.

On another note I am curious how other people would handle another situation I may find myself in.

So I believe I have a good chance of getting another job working with another company but I know they drag their feet for a long while and it is far from certain. I worked for them before and several of the people are pushing the boss to hire me back. I would prefer this job most likely but didn't want to turn down the other one to only be left in the wind considering how much I hate my current position. I don't think I have ever been more unhappy in a position than I have this one. Would anyone not take the current one offered knowing you would take the other one if and when it came up?

Take the job. If you get offered the better job, take it too. Never apologize for being upwardly mobile.

Rausch
06-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Take the job. If you get offered the better job, take it too. Never apologize for being upwardly mobile.

What he said...

Prison Bitch
06-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Since you have not been offered the job, I cannot advise you to take it.

GloryDayz
06-24-2015, 05:30 PM
You watch out for YOU, just like the boss and the company are watching out for something other than you...

Bwana
06-24-2015, 07:21 PM
I got an offer letter today from a company I really wanted to work for and signed it. Once the background check is done, I will walk into my current bosses office with a big smile on my face and tell him I'm hitting the road. It is going to be a happy day with no regrets.

threebag
06-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Congratulations

GloryDayz
06-24-2015, 07:41 PM
I got an offer letter today from a company I really wanted to work for and signed it. Once the background check is done, I will walk into my current bosses office with a big smile on my face and tell him I'm hitting the road. It is going to be a happy day with no regrets.

THAT'S how it's done....

Saccopoo
06-24-2015, 07:54 PM
I might have to get a new job too, though for not the same reasons...

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc2MDMzNTkzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDQwMDc3._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

BossChief
06-24-2015, 09:53 PM
I always use job offers as a negotiation for raises at my current job.

GloryDayz
06-24-2015, 09:55 PM

I'm pretty sure every one of my employees already know the answer before they try that. Not that it's always, "Well I wish you luck", but for those who get mad when I say that, it's sort of funny to tell them I really meant it, "good luck."

But if you're good, it's a smart play...

rockymtnchief
06-24-2015, 09:58 PM

Good for you!:clap:

Make sure you have ATV Fridays off!:evil:

BossChief
06-24-2015, 09:59 PM
It's all about bettering yourself and your employer at the same time.

Nothing wrong with "x wants me to work for them and they offered me y, I'd prefer to stay, but only at a new pay/compensation rate of something equal or greater to y"

eDave
06-24-2015, 10:44 PM
The boss will do the same thing if given the opportunity. If he is sensible and if you are moving up, he can claim some credit for that.

Bwana
06-25-2015, 05:35 AM
Good for you!:clap:

Make sure you have ATV Fridays off!:evil:

Oh I'm going to take a couple of weeks off between gigs so I will be giving you a call. :thumb: I need to get some miles on the Polaris.

Saul Good
06-25-2015, 06:32 AM

That's not a good strategy in general. You're basically giving your current employer an alert that they need to find your replacement. Three months later, the other offer is filled, and your current employer hires your replacement and sends you packing...then what?

BossChief
06-25-2015, 08:00 AM
That's not a good strategy in general. You're basically giving your current employer an alert that they need to find your replacement. Three months later, the other offer is filled, and your current employer hires your replacement and sends you packing...then what?

If I'm not ready to move on anyway, I don't start looking for a new place of employment. Like with any other negotiation, you have to be prepared for the 2 sides to part without a deal getting done.

I've always approached it by getting another offer and having a start date 2 weeks out so I can give 2 weeks notice and while giving notice letting my current employer know the outline of what the other company will pay me in case they want me to stay.

So far, I've used this strategy 5 times and I only had to change my workplace once.

When I was working for Ks merchandise about 15 years ago, I was offered a position managing oak express while I was working as the manager of the furniture department of Ks (I was literally in my suit on the job when they came and talked to me about it, which I felt was kinda low rent)...I told the store manager after I actually applied and received the actual offer (which broke down to over 5$ an hour more and better benefits, perks) and 4 days later, I got a call from the owner of all 17 ks stores telling me he appreciated what I do for him and that he was not only gonna match what they offered, but better it by adding an additional dollar per hour over oak expresses offer (all broken down into my salary), an additional week of vacation (total of 5 weeks per year) and that I could earn more as a bonus if we hit certain marks in sales that year.

It might not work for everyone, but it's made a real difference in my life.

With my current job, I'm the only one that doesn't work any weekends and I set my own schedule for availability each week with no limits. I can go in the system right now and mark myself off the next 2 weeks and all I'd get is a call verifying the dates. In fact, I'm on an extended break right now to spend more time with the kids. My son has summer school and my daughter is gonna start preschool in a few months, so I wanted to take advantage of this time to spend more time with them while I can. The main reason I can do that is because a few years ago I was offered a spot for another company that had that as one of their perks and even though it makes it more difficult at times for the company I work for, they make it work. I just try to not take advantage of it and only take big chunks of time off for meaningful reasons and only when those times can be efficiently filled by the rest of the crew.

I took on this strategy when I worked for a retailer when I was just out of high school and was the regions third best salesperson and was only given a .25 cent raise after getting a perfect review.

In this world, you have to go out and get it, not wait for it to come to you.

TribalElder
06-25-2015, 08:22 AM
This.

It's not unprofessional to do what's best for you.

Hell, it's stupid not to...

Yes this

Last job I was nervous to give notice so I did it on a Friday morning

By Friday afternoon all was well and I was relived it was out in the open. My boss was super professional about things and completely understood. Giving the news sucked but afterward good things came and we talked about advancing and doing what was best for me.

Just do it and get it over with it wi get better quickly

Mr. Flopnuts
06-25-2015, 11:24 AM

I'll bet you can't wait to tell that idiot that you won't be around when he goes broke. ROFL

mikeyis4dcats.
06-25-2015, 11:42 AM
When I changed jobs I was nervous too, was my first job out of college. I wrote a resignation letter with all the details, and handed it to him. He read it, tried to counter and we had an awkward couple of minutes about that, and I declined and that was it.

Much easier to put it on paper, that way you don't worry about saying something you'd regret.

BigRichard
06-25-2015, 12:13 PM
Finally got it out of the way. I had to wait because the HR lady called me and left a VM stating there was an issue with my application. It turned out to be nothing but I didn't feel like I should tell her until I found out what it was. Nerve racking couple of days for me.

KurtCobain
06-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Glad it's over for you.

RobBlake
06-25-2015, 01:22 PM
we need more dez bryants up in this and less alex smith's. lol Unless it's your family member you're working for or something, don't ever feel bad about improving your own personal situation. Value your own worth and always look for something that will lead to a happy life.

Bwana
06-25-2015, 03:55 PM
I'll bet you can't wait to tell that idiot that you won't be around when he goes broke. ROFL

You've got that right and the way he's running the business into the ground I doubt that day will be very far down the road.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-25-2015, 05:15 PM
You've got that right and the way he's running the business into the ground I doubt that day will be very far down the road.

Yeah I remember the stories about Montana Jesus. Congrats on getting out before it's too late!

Jenson71
02-13-2022, 01:34 PM
Anyone else ever deal with the prospect of taking a new job, but feeling incredibly guilty about leaving the current company?

That's my position right now. I have an opportunity that is basically too good to pass up, but thinking about telling my supervisors that I'm leaving and how they'll have to either struggle to find someone to replace me or do it themselves almost makes me physically ill.

It's almost like I'd rather not show up for a week or two and them just emailing me that they're going to stop my pay and I'm no longer welcome in the building.

displacedinMN
02-13-2022, 01:37 PM
Anyone else ever deal with the prospect of taking a new job, but feeling incredibly guilty about leaving the current company?

That's my position right now. I have an opportunity that is basically too good to pass up, but thinking about telling my supervisors that I'm leaving and how they'll have to either struggle to find someone to replace me or do it themselves almost makes me physically ill.

It's almost like I'd rather not show up for a week or two and them just emailing me that they're going to stop my pay and I'm no longer welcome in the building.

You and your happiness first.

Bugeater
02-13-2022, 01:40 PM

It's almost like I'd rather not show up for a week or two and them just emailing me that they're going to stop my pay and I'm no longer welcome in the building.They would boot you in a heartbeat if it meant financial sense, shouldn't be any different for you.

Buehler445
02-13-2022, 01:57 PM
You can see if they’ll match if you like the place.

Bugeater
02-13-2022, 02:15 PM
Oh, and if it really would be that much of a struggle to replace you, they should have already done everything possible to ensure that you wouldn't consider leaving. The fact that you are considering it....tells me they haven't.

Hoover
02-13-2022, 02:50 PM
I thought this was an EB thread..

Jewish Rabbi
02-13-2022, 03:04 PM

You want me to email your boss a picture of my nut sack?