PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What's your thinking about drinking straws?

Rain Man
06-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Do you like them? Do you use them? Does it depend on the situation or the drink?

Sucky poll coming.

mdchiefsfan
06-26-2015, 07:17 PM
If there is ice or it's a mixed drink that I want to consume quickly, yes.

lewdog
06-26-2015, 07:18 PM
I write orders daily for people to not drink with straws. Very dangerous for the Dane's and Milkman's of the world.

Rain Man
06-26-2015, 07:19 PM
If there is ice or it's a mixed drink that I want to consume quickly, yes.

You can drink faster through a straw? I would have assumed it was slower.

Rain Man
06-26-2015, 07:20 PM
I write orders daily for people to not drink with straws. Very dangerous for the Dane's and Milkman's of the world.

How is it dangerous? Is it a swallowing fear, or a fear that their trachea will come out through their mouth?

Rain Man
06-26-2015, 07:23 PM
I have a very specific set of criteria for using a straw, and I don't know why. Straws are used only in the following four situations:

1. Drinking soda from a cup or glass away from home.
2. Drinking a frozen drink such as a milk shake.
3. The exceedingly rare situations where I have a fruity alcohol drink.
4. The exceedingly rare situations where I'm sharing a drink with someone.

I don't think there are any other situations where I use straws.

Molitoth
06-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Depends on how clean the restaurant is.

I've watched enough Bar Rescue episodes where I don't trust a lot of places anymore.

Buzz
06-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Where is the I like to tear the paper wrapper off the end and then blow it in someone's face option? Poll fail and I would look pretty silly drinking a beer with a straw.

Buehler445
06-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Only when I eat out.

lewdog
06-26-2015, 07:30 PM
How is it dangerous? Is it a swallowing fear, or a fear that their trachea will come out through their mouth?

Aspiration is one of the leading causes of pneumonia or death for those who have had a stroke, or suffer from Dementia or Parkinson's. I do swallow evals every day and many times, drinking from a straw causes them to aspirate. Straws put liquid to the back of your throat quickly, and in those with disease/neurological conditions, their muscles are slower, weaker and have less sensation. Many of them aspirate with coughing but a good percentage aspirate with no signs, called silent aspiration, which can cause numerous hospital stays and recurrent pneumonia...Sometimes, death in compromised respiratory systems.

lewdog
06-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Usually only with water at restaurants if one is already in the drink. Otherwise, never. I like to gulp.

Rain Man
06-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Aspiration is one of the leading causes of pneumonia or death for those who have had a stroke, or suffer from Dementia or Parkinson's. I do swallow evals every day and many times, drinking from a straw causes them to aspirate. Straws put liquid to the back of your throat quickly, and in those with disease/neurological conditions, their muscles are slower, weaker and have less sensation. Many of them aspirate with coughing but a good percentage aspirate with no signs, called silent aspiration, which can cause numerous hospital stays and recurrent pneumonia...Sometimes, death in compromised respiratory systems.

I learned something new today.

RobBlake
06-26-2015, 07:34 PM
drinking water from a straw is a no no for me.. unless restaurant water

heapshake
06-26-2015, 07:34 PM
I have a very specific set of criteria for using a straw, and I don't know why.

I only drink soda and shakes through a straw. Generally I don't use a straw for soda, but if I'm driving with a cup or a glass I will use one. I'd never use a straw in a bottle or a can and I can't stand water or tea with a straw.

Rain Man
06-26-2015, 07:38 PM
I only drink soda and shakes through a straw. Generally I don't use a straw for soda, but if I'm driving with a cup or a glass I will use one. I'd never use a straw in a bottle or a can and I can't stand water or tea with a straw.

That's pretty much my rule exactly, except that I prefer a straw when having a soda in a glass with ice. This usually only happens when I'm away from home at a restaurant.

RedandGold
06-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Definitely depends upon the drink. Water at a restaurant = always. Beer = not gonna happen...ever

SAUTO
06-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Usually only with water at restaurants if one is already in the drink. Otherwise, never. I like to gulp.

This

cosmo20002
06-26-2015, 07:55 PM
I have a very specific set of criteria for using a straw, and I don't know why. Straws are used only in the following four situations:

I really think you nailed this one.
I don't think I have anything to add or any suggested amendments to these rules.

listopencil
06-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Depends on the drink. A few years ago 7/11 ran a promo where they offered thick, colored aluminum straws for their Slurpees. I grabbed one and noticed that it felt very cold and seemed to keep the slush cold longer. I kept it in my desk. I use it now for milkshakes and it's great.

cdcox
06-26-2015, 09:04 PM
I only use a straw when I think the glass might be dirty. Or a rare, rare milkshake.

ClevelandBronco
06-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Paper straws. A great dream, a disappointing reality.

Buzz
06-26-2015, 09:26 PM
Might be useful if you are constipated and cant find bottle rockets?

Why Not?
06-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Rarely. I just don't like it for some reason. In a weirdly related story, I had a friend from Georgia whose dad saw him drinking out of a straw when he was like 5 or 6. His dad threw the straw out and said "boy, I don't suck no dicks so I don't drink out of no straws". My friend never used a straw again.

Reerun_KC
06-27-2015, 07:49 AM
Damn I want a millshake now.

BucEyedPea
06-27-2015, 09:11 AM
If you swallow too much air, drinking through a straw helps.

eDave
06-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Drank Heineken's out of a straw in NY, before my flight to Saudi Arabia.

Caught hell from the locals. I always use a straw with beer when not in public.

patteeu
06-27-2015, 09:49 AM

This is good to know. I don't use straws, but now I have another reason not to.

AustinChief
06-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Drank Heineken's out of a straw in NY, before my flight to Saudi Arabia.

Caught hell from the locals. I always use a straw with beer when not in public.

Do you sit down to pee? Seriously dude, that's all sorts of fucked up.

Stewie
06-27-2015, 11:00 AM
I only use a straw with fountain drinks and I'm driving.

eDave
06-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Do you sit down to pee? Seriously dude, that's all sorts of ****ed up.

Well, the goal in NY, before catching the 14 hour flight to Saudi, was to get drunk so you would pass out for the flight. I was 17 at the time Utilizing a straw facilitates that.

And yes, I have peed sitting down a few times throughout my life. So have you.

patteeu
06-27-2015, 11:02 AM
I think I only use a straw with fountain drinks and I'm driving.

I didn't think about that. I do that too, although I'm more likely to have a bottle of water or a coffee without straw.

KCCHIEFS27
06-27-2015, 11:12 AM
My 5 year old daughter gives two thumbs up when it comes to drinking with a straw.

AustinChief
06-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Well, the goal in NY, before catching the 14 hour flight to Saudi, was to get drunk so you would pass out for the flight. I was 17 at the time Utilizing a straw facilitates that.

Sorry man, no it does not. Drinking from a straw or from a bottle or a glass doesn't change the rate of alcohol absorption into the bloodstream.

C3HIEF3S
06-27-2015, 11:51 AM
When I am out to eat all I drink is water. Never been a soda/pop drinker.
Always through a straw when out to eat. I don't like the feeling of putting my lips on something that many, many people have also put their lips on.

Demonpenz
06-27-2015, 11:53 AM
When blowing coke up someone's ass.

eDave
06-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Sorry man, no it does not. Drinking from a straw or from a bottle or a glass doesn't change the rate of alcohol absorption into the bloodstream.

Time management.

keg in kc
06-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Shakes only. Water, tea, soda, mixed drinks, then no straw.

Coochie liquor
06-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Should have been an option of "I only use straws to snort cocaine, and only after I'm all out of money to roll up and use. Usually around 3-4 am"

Rain Man
06-27-2015, 02:43 PM
When I am out to eat all I drink is water. Never been a soda/pop drinker.
Always through a straw when out to eat. I don't like the feeling of putting my lips on something that many, many people have also put their lips on.

I hope someone takes advantage of the wife joke opportunities here.

BigMeatballDave
06-27-2015, 03:21 PM
When I am out to eat all I drink is water.

This

FlaChief58
06-27-2015, 04:01 PM

This exactly

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-27-2015, 04:58 PM
A straw with my burger meal on Friday. That's about it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0f/d0/ec/0fd0ecfe299d1150ae6c23da4f96a90d.jpg

Most of the time, I'm drinking from a sport bottle filled with water of various varieties.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Straw in restaurants. No exception.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Also, Jack Webb represents an awesome America.

Just so you know.

eDave
06-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Who's going to start a toothpick thread? Or has that been done?

cwhocares
06-27-2015, 05:16 PM
My oh my. Are we bored? It's come to this. A poll about straws. Just shoot me.

srvy
06-27-2015, 07:29 PM

Flat, round or cinnamon dipped?

Rain Man
06-27-2015, 08:32 PM
My oh my. Are we bored? It's come to this. A poll about straws. Just shoot me.

Straws are part of the American experience. If you can't talk about straws, perhaps you're not a true American.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Straws are part of the American experience. If you can't talk about straws, perhaps you're not a true American.

Well said.

And Jack Webb.

alpha_omega
06-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Simple. Eating out, straw. Eating at home, no straw.
Never really gave it any thought though.

Rain Man
06-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Simple. Eating out, straw. Eating at home, no straw.
Never really gave it any thought though.

Is that just because you don't have straws at home, or is it a true preference?

alpha_omega
06-27-2015, 10:03 PM
No preference, it just always worked out that way.

We do have straws at home but usually only use those if I've just been to the dentist or something like that. And for whatever reason we have regular straws and those bendy straws both.

milkman
06-27-2015, 10:12 PM

I only used toothpicks when I was running the basepaths, never out in the field.

mdchiefsfan
06-27-2015, 10:16 PM
You can drink faster through a straw? I would have assumed it was slower.

Anyone know how to shotgun a beer in a bottle?