PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Joe Delaney "30 for 30" Digital Short August 19th

DaFace
06-30-2015, 09:23 PM
EDIT: It's now available here:

http://grantland.com/features/30-for-30-shorts-delaney/

For those interested...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/gregorian-chants/article25832185.html

ESPN will premiere ‘30 for 30’ digital short about Joe Delaney on Aug. 19

BY VAHE GREGORIAN
vgregorian@kcstar.com

Here are some details about the Joe Delaney “30 for 30” special referenced in this column (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article25675738.html) about the police diver who tried to save the Chiefs star running back from drowning 32 years ago Monday.

According to ESPN, the documentary is not a full-length TV special but a digital short, about 19 minutes, that will premiere Aug. 19 on Grantland.com.

To reach Vahe Gregorian, call 816-234-4868 or send email to vgregorian@kcstar.com. Follow him on Twitter: @vgregorian. For previous columns, go to KansasCity.com.

Deberg_1990
06-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Strange he wasnt worthy of a full 60 minutes??

But its still cool and will watch!

chiefzilla1501
06-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Strange he wasnt worthy of a full 60 minutes??

But its still cool and will watch!

There are some outstanding 30 for 30 shorts out there. "Fields of Fear" is one of the most intriguing 30 for 30s out there but it's not worth a full hour view.

I can understand why. The 30 for 30 shorts are built for quick, punchy stories where you don't need a 45 minute buildup. This is perfect for that.

Jim Lahey
06-30-2015, 09:56 PM
Qcant Qwait

DaFace
08-17-2015, 09:16 PM
This should be up on ESPN.com on Wednesday. KCChiefs.com has posted a couple things about it.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/%E2%80%9CDelaney%E2%80%9D-an-ESPN-30-for-30-is-Set-to-Debut-Later-This-Month/674888f2-81e5-4b52-8595-6450d2b40f3b

“Delaney,” an ESPN 30 for 30, is Set to Debut Later This Month
Posted Aug 6, 2015
Pete Sweeney
Chiefs Reporter

Before he was a distinguished film producer, Grant Curtis grew up in Warrensburg, Missouri a diehard fan of the Kansas City Chiefs.

“I’ve been a Chiefs fan since day one,” he’ll proudly tell you. “I was a card-carrying member of the Huddle Club, the club the Chiefs had for young fans and I would collect all the football cards that they gave out.”

Every year, Curtis went to what he described as the Chiefs “red and yellow game,” a preseason contest that pitted the Chiefs offense versus its own defense. Afterwards, children like Curtis could meet and greet the players on the field.

"I was that kid running around grabbing Art Still's wristband or Gary Spani's towel,” he said.

On June 29, 1983, Curtis was an 11-year-old Chiefs fan, one that thought of the players he watched on the field and the television screen as invincible.

What would come that day was, for that reason, all the more shocking.

That was the day that Chiefs running back Joe Delaney, at the age of 24, drowned trying to save three young boys in northeastern Louisiana.

"That's just been one of those narratives that's naturally stuck with me,” Curtis said of finding out that Delaney had passed. “When you're a kid and you look at your heroes and the football players and you see them put their pads and their helmets on, you think they're putting on Kevlar and bulletproof helmets. Then something like the tragedy around Joe's passing happens and you realize that your heroes are normal people.

“When you are an 11-year-old and one of your heroes passes away in that manner, it sticks with you.”

In between then and now, Curtis has produced some of the most well known films of the past 20 years.

He was on production teams for the “Spider-Man” series of the 2000s, was the executive producer for “Oz the Great and Powerful” and is currently working on “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2.”

Last year, in 2014, he finally got his chance to go to Haughton, Louisiana, the home of Joe Delaney, to film what he had been holding on to since 1983.

In conjunction with ESPN and 65 Toss Power Trap Productions, Curtis created a 30 for 30 film entitled “Delaney,” which is set to air August 19 on ESPN.com.

This past Monday night, the Chiefs screened the film for alumni, season ticket members and those who helped out with the film.

Ken Kremer, a former Chiefs defensive tackle who played with Delaney and is actually in the documentary, shared his feelings on the piece at the event.

"I thought that the film was a very accurate portrayal of a very special person,” he said. “I'm blessed to say that I was just fortunate enough to play with him. He was a wonderful guy both on and off the field."

Chiefs team historian Bob Moore, who extensively assisted with the project, also weighed in.

"I thought the production values were first rate as I would have anticipated with those guys given some of the work they've done before,” he said. “The music, the images, those things were exactly what you would expect from somebody who's worked in the television and movie business."

The documentary starts off in Delaney’s high school days in Haughton, delves into his time at Northwestern State University and covers his record-breaking rookie season for the Chiefs in 1981.

"I think that we have to really remember players like Joe Delaney,” Kremer added. “He only played two years, but he made such a profound impact on our football team and also on the city. We had gone through a struggling period of time and he brought us back to respectability. Tragically, he died way too soon."

DaFace
08-17-2015, 09:16 PM
They've also got a podcast with the director here.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-Download-Podcast-Grant-Curtis-Director-of-the-ESPN-30-for-30-Delaney/442d8f55-0464-4df8-9c4e-f829bca3e4ea

big nasty kcnut
08-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Can't Wait!

JoeDelaney4ever
08-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. I will check it out.

I will never forget Joe D either and the event was stamped upon our brains. For that to happen at that time- such a tragedy. Such a humble guy, so slippery on the field, a role model and a throw back super scat-back type. Could have been another Barry, perhaps. I remember that Houston game and the Oilers' players really giving it up to Joe afterward and saying he was the best in the league. Joe lives forever.

Still was an awesome presence.Takes me back to the days of the wolf pack and watching those great KC secondaries defend San Diego and others. During the great dark period, we always still had exceptional talent in the secondary. Art was a true great but seemed overshadowed during his time a bit by Leroy Selmon.

frankotank
08-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Yo dudes!

1 - just searched for all upcoming 30 For 30's. I see no Delaney shows forthcoming thru Wednesday 8/26. So...what gives?

2 - I SWEAR I saw a show on Delaney last year. Don't remember exactly what it was...but I know I saw something. I remember very specific descriptions in said show about the pond/hole he drowned in. It was actually a hole dug by a construction co. it had no tape/rope/warnings and it had filled up with water. you couldn't tell that just two steps from the edge it was over 15 ft deep or something. so the kids stepped in and were immediately over their heads. anyways....I'm wondering what show that was. can't find it on the interwebs.

I don't wanna miss this show if it's really on tonight.

when I go I hope it's doing something for others like that. I'd think you'd get cut some serious slack n the afterlife for your short comings going out in such a manner.

dlphg9
08-19-2015, 07:19 AM
Its on espn.com or grantland I believe

Lzen
08-19-2015, 08:02 AM
I just checked on espn.com and grantland.com and can't find it. Any idea on what time they'll put it up on the site(s)?

rico
08-19-2015, 08:27 AM
I still think they should make a 30 for 30 about the 2012 Chiefs...such a crazy year.

Lzen
08-19-2015, 09:06 AM

luv
08-19-2015, 09:08 AM

Thank you! I looked for this all over that site less than 20 minutes ago.

Lzen
08-19-2015, 09:26 AM
They didn't put it up until 10am.

Very well done documentary.

ChiTown
08-19-2015, 09:32 AM

Fucking BRAVO! A wonderfully produced piece.

Yeah, I cried, just like I did when I heard the news as a teenager. Just a tragic story.

Hydrae
08-19-2015, 11:19 AM
I am not even going to try to blame dust for the water coming out of my eyes.

Very well done!

aturnis
08-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Will this air on ESPN?

Bob Dole
08-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Nothing really new or groundbreaking for anyone who knows the story, but a good way to spend 19 minutes.

ChiTown
08-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Nothing really new or groundbreaking for anyone who knows the story, but a good way to spend 19 minutes.

Yep, it was just re-living a little slice of hell. I can still remember Frank Boal completely choking up as he was reporting this news. Still gets to me when I think about it.

ChiefsCountry
08-19-2015, 03:15 PM
It went into more details about the day of his drowning more than I had heard before.

Easy 6
08-19-2015, 06:11 PM
All this hoopla, yet Joe Delaney Memorial Park is, 30+ years later a weed farm with maybe a dangerous, rusty swingset thrown in somewhere.

Looking forward to this doc, though.

Shawny2X4
08-19-2015, 08:11 PM
To be honest, I had never heard of Joe Delaney before watching this documentary. Remarkable stuff. I know the jersey he wore on Sundays had nothing to do with his character or what he did for those boys. Still, I am proud to say he played for the Chiefs.

Deberg_1990
08-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Great stuff. Very well made. I only wished it was a little longer.

DaFace
08-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Finally found time to watch it. Though I obviously knew the story, it was cool to see it really brought to life. As someone who was 1 year old at the time, I don't think I'd really appreciated how good he could have been. Crazy to wonder how different things might have been.

Anyway, good stuff.

ChiTown
08-20-2015, 06:37 AM
Finally found time to watch it. Though I obviously knew the story, it was cool to see it really brought to life. As someone who was 1 year old at the time, I don't think I'd really appreciated how good he could have been. Crazy to wonder how different things might have been.

Anyway, good stuff.

As someone who lived the shit years of the Chiefs in both the 70's and 80's, it's hard to describe the sort of hope that Joe brought back to a once proud franchise. To have that feeling of hope vanish in what seemed like a blink of an eye, well, it was demoralizing. And then, the guilt sets in. It's the guilt that you feel for being so selfish that the loss you feel is for the hope you had for your team, and not the person behind the jersey. Joe's story is important, because it helps tell the story of the real loss in all of this - Joe Delaney the Father, the Husband, the Brother, the Teammate, the Friend, and the Selfless human being. That's a tragic loss.