PDA

View Full Version : News Blind Sportscaster from Blue Springs Shines at Mizzou

gblowfish
07-17-2015, 11:13 AM
This is a very cool feel good story about a young man Blake Terrants from Blue Springs who has been blind since he was a baby. He's learning how to do sports broadcasting at Mizzou, and is currently working at the same student radio station I worked at in the late 1970s. Bravo...and good luck in your sport broadcasting career. Story by Bill Althaus, long time Examiner sports writer:

http://www.examiner.net/article/20150717/NEWS/150719205/1995/NEWS

Blake Tarrants has never seen a sporting event on the University of Missouri campus.

Yet the sophomore is an award-winning member of a broadcast team that keeps everyone in Columbia, Missouri, up to date on all Tiger sporting activities and events.

Tarrants, a 2014 graduate of Blue Springs High School, has been blind since encephalitis robbed him of his vision when he was 18 months old. But that hasn't slowed down the back-to-back winner of the Missouri Broadcasters Association scholarship, which goes to an outstanding high school or college student who hopes to work in television or radio as part of his or her career.

“First and foremost, nothing that Blake has won or any of the praise he receives comes because he is visually impaired,” said Tony Wrisinger of Sideliner Sports, Vision Sports and KCWJ 1030 AM. “He was nominated for the award when he was a senior at Blue Springs and he won the scholarship because he earned it.

“And it's great that he won it a second consecutive year because he is doing a great job at Missouri.”

KCWJ general manager Ken Ball backs that comment.

“We are so proud of Blake and he seems to be living up to all our expectations at Missouri,” Ball said. “I had the chance to visit with him at the MBA award ceremony and he is excited about everything that is going on at Missouri with his broadcasting career.”

Tarrants was a fixture at all Blue Springs football games, and hosted his own postgame show.

All-state linebacker Gunnar Strickland would often be a guest, or he would bring down another member of the Wildcats state championship team to visit with Tarrants in the Wildcat Room, and the senior would wow them with his knowledge of the game.

“You couldn't believe he didn't watch every play,” said Strickland, who was Tarrants' roommate for a portion of his freshman year at Missouri. “The guys always enjoyed talking to him about the games because he knew so much about our team and the game (we'd just played). He's pretty amazing.”

In typical Tarrants fashion, he said he used his freshman year to make contacts and meet as many people as possible on the Missouri campus.

He was also a frequent host on the student station KCOU's pre and postgame shows for football, basketball and baseball.

He also served as the color man for Missouri soccer.

“That was a lot of fun,” Tarrants said. “I had to rely on my play-by-play man for the details, but I really studied the team roster and went into the game knowing a lot about each team. I studied up on the rules and felt good going into the game. I hope to do a lot more color work, but I have to realize that I'm just going to be a sophomore and you have to earn that.”

CoMoChief
07-17-2015, 11:30 AM
I dont see how a blind person could do this job....but a blind person that lives down the street from me paints and details cars. And does it quite well too..not sure how that happens either. World's a crazy place.

Rain Man
07-17-2015, 11:34 AM
I dont see how a blind person could do this job....but a blind person that lives down the street from me paints and details cars. And does it quite well too..not sure how that happens either. World's a crazy place.

Wow.

Prison Bitch
07-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Blake Tarrants has never seen a sporting event on the University of Missouri campus.”

Good for him, but let's hope he never forgets the good fortune he's had in life.

TLO
07-17-2015, 12:37 PM
I did not see that one coming.

Hammock Parties
07-17-2015, 12:39 PM
What a sad waste of time.

gblowfish
07-17-2015, 01:10 PM

Clay, sometimes you are a giant dick with ears.

Hammock Parties
07-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Clay, sometimes you are a giant dick with ears.

This kid is going to go to college thinking he can make a career out of this.

No one will hire him.

gblowfish
07-17-2015, 01:20 PM
This kid is going to go to college thinking he can make a career out of this.

No one will hire him.

We'll see. There's more and more opportunity in broadcasting all sports radio. He may not make it as an on air talent, but might make it as a producer.

He's fearlessly chasing his dream. i admire him for it. He may fail, but if he does, he'll go down swinging.

Your cynicism doesn't surprise me, but it does disappoint me.

Demonpenz
07-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Said he will never see a BCS win or Final Four.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-17-2015, 03:41 PM
probably a Mauk fan

Gonzo
07-17-2015, 04:06 PM
"He's at the 40 the 30 the 20 WOW! LISTEN TO HIM GO! HE CAN SMELL THE ENDZONE! ME TOO!!!"

CoMoChief
07-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Wanna impress me? take the wheel for a bit.

Bob Dole
07-18-2015, 03:12 AM

Yes, you are.

TimBone
07-18-2015, 03:39 AM
Good for him. He sees no difference between himself and any other sportscasters.

In58men
07-18-2015, 08:06 AM
Here's another feel good story. They guy gets upset and uses strong language

http://youtu.be/Hi4z0S8jfbU

Hoopsdoc
07-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Nice story, great for the kid.

Losing my eyesight has always been my worst fear, along with being buried alive. :shudder:

gblowfish
07-18-2015, 09:05 AM
If he can't make it as a sportscaster, he has an excellent chance to be a ref or umpire.