PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Arthur Bryant's sauce

ILChief
07-21-2015, 07:55 PM
So when I was in KC for the Chargers game and picked up a bottle of Arthur Bryant's sauce. I hadn't opened it. So Sunday I smoked a 10 lb Boston butt and thought I'd break out the sauce. So my question is: is it supposed to taste like sour milk with pepper and sand mixed in it or was something wrong with my bottle?

Eleazar
07-21-2015, 07:57 PM
What year was that Chargers game?

ILChief
07-21-2015, 07:58 PM
What year was that Chargers game?

I remember Stan Humphries was the Chargers QB...... Lol just kidding it was the Chase Daniel show this past season

Strongside
07-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Yeah, it's an odd sauce to buy from the store. I prefer the Sweet Heat version...it's much better.

You really have to eat the old AB's near the Jazz District to appreciate it...something about eating it in the source makes it taste totally different. I don't like it from the store...at all.

Sassy Squatch
07-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Don't know what's wrong with me but I love that shit.

ILChief
07-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Yeah, it's an odd sauce to buy from the store. I prefer the Sweet Heat version...it's much better.

You really have to eat the old AB's near the Jazz District to appreciate it...something about eating it in the source makes it taste totally different. I don't like it from the store...at all.

I've never been to an AB restaurant. My sister in law and her husband raved about it so I thought I'd pick up a bottle and try it. It was the worst BBQ sauce I've ever tasted. Should have bought Jack stack or joes or something

ILChief
07-21-2015, 08:08 PM

I have a slightly used bottle you can have ;)

thebrad84
07-21-2015, 08:08 PM
Agreed. Arthur Bryant's sauce is nasty from the grocery stores. Gates is the way to go for bottled sauce

ILChief
07-21-2015, 08:09 PM
Agreed. Arthur Bryant's sauce is nasty from the grocery stores. Gates is the way to go for bottled sauce

I'll remember that this year when I'm in KC

Hootie
07-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Here comes the no command Herrera inning ! Yay

ChiefsCountry
07-21-2015, 08:10 PM

The Gates sauce at the restaurant is even better. :thumb: But I agree out of the store bought sauces its the best.

New World Order
07-21-2015, 08:11 PM

Same

JoeyChuckles
07-21-2015, 08:12 PM
I had some friends from Minnesota come to KC and try Arthur Bryant's without consulting any residents. It is definitely not a beginner BBQ place, mostly because of the sauce.

Deberg_1990
07-21-2015, 08:14 PM
It contains a little Dan Fouts secret sauce

Rukdafaidas
07-21-2015, 08:18 PM
I don't care for AB BBQ sauce and my kids absolutely hate it. Gates is my favorite BBQ sauce, but it's a little spicy for some people.

Bwana
07-21-2015, 08:21 PM
From the one time I tried it that sounds about right, I'm not a big fan.

cdcox
07-21-2015, 08:27 PM

Best sauce for brisket, IMO.

Sassy Squatch
07-21-2015, 08:28 PM
If you don't like a strong vinegar profile you're gonna have a bad time. I was a retard and drank A1 steak sauce out of the bottle when I was younger so this shit is right up my alley.

gblowfish
07-21-2015, 08:53 PM
AB's original sauce is unique. There's nothing like it. Yes, it's sour. It has a lot of paprika in it. It's tart. And it's absolutely great on brisket. If you're used to Kraft, or KC Masterpiece, or Sweet Baby Ray's, or some other mass marketed cheap ass BBQ sauce filled with HFCS, then you will probably hate AB's original sauce.

AB makes a sweet sauce that is more like other BBQ sauces, and it's very good on poultry.

Most people like Gates regular sauce as the signature taste of what KC BBQ sauce tastes like.

The comment that AB's original sauce is not for beginners is absolutely true.

Most people either love it or hate it, no middle ground. I'm in the love it category.

You might try LC's BBQ sauce or Hayward's, its closer to what you're probably used to.

gblowfish
07-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Also if you're in KC, don't let the sauce scare you away from trying AB's. You can ask for your BBQ with NO sauce, and then try the different styles of sauce they have available on the table. Their ribs don't even need sauce, they're wonderful with just the dry rub. Their fries are other worldly, and the beans and slaw are great too. And don't forget the tart, dill pickle slices. You must have them to cleanse the palate!

suzzer99
07-21-2015, 08:59 PM
AB's original sauce is unique. There's nothing like it. Yes, it's sour. It has a lot of paprika in it. It's tart. And it's absolutely great on brisket. If you're used to Kraft, or KC Masterpiece, or Sweet Baby Ray's, or some other mass marketed cheap ass BBQ sauce filled with HFCS, then you will probably hate AB's original sauce.

AB makes a sweet sauce that is more like other BBQ sauces, and it's very good on poultry.

Most people like Gates regular sauce as the signature taste of what KC BBQ sauce tastes like.

Most people either love it or hate it, no middle ground. I'm in the love it category.

You might try LC's BBQ sauce or Hayward's, its closer to what you're probably used to.

+1 to all of this. Definitely an acquired taste. I grew up eating AB sauce and I love it. AB makes a nice change of pace from Gates and like-Gates-but-not-quite-as-good - which is every other sauce out there worth eating imo.

As an aside - my gf is Chinese - she's found all kinds of weird things to put Gates on like rice and salad (she mixes it with ranch and calls it Q-sauce).

MOhillbilly
07-21-2015, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't recommend it. Sweet heats good but devils spit is better.

Dave Lane
07-21-2015, 09:35 PM
So when I was in KC for the Chargers game and picked up a bottle of Arthur Bryant's sauce. I hadn't opened it. So Sunday I smoked a 10 lb Boston butt and thought I'd break out the sauce. So my question is: is it supposed to taste like sour milk with pepper and sand mixed in it or was something wrong with my bottle?

Don't buy the original sauce its awful. The Rich and Sweet is very good. (I think thats the name btw)

Dave Lane
07-21-2015, 09:37 PM
Also if you're in KC, don't let the sauce scare you away from trying AB's. You can ask for your BBQ with NO sauce, and then try the different styles of sauce they have available on the table. Their ribs don't even need sauce, they're wonderful with just the dry rub. Their fries are other worldly, and the beans and slaw are great too. And don't forget the tart, dill pickle slices. You must have them to cleanse the palate!

This. The original sauce as a base is fine, the sweeter sauce on top of the original is a good combo.

bdj23
07-21-2015, 09:49 PM

This.

Arthur Bryant's sauce from their restaurant is good stuff.. The store bought kind sucks. I don't get it.

JohnnyHammersticks
07-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Gates Hot & Spicy could make an old leather shoe taste good.

Hamwallet
07-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Gates Hot & Spicy could make an old leather shoe taste good.

This. I can take shots of it. I love taking people from out of town there. 99% are bright red and drenched but can't stop saying how F'n good it is. Extra hot is my favorite.

GloucesterChief
07-21-2015, 10:48 PM

Sounds like a NC style sauce but with paprika. Vinegar based sauces are excellent on naturally sweet meat like pork.

MTG#10
07-22-2015, 12:59 PM
If you can find it Cowtown original and Cowtown Night of the Living BBQ are the two best sauces Ive ever had. They absolutely blow away AB's, Jack Stack and Gates. NOTLBBQ is the better of the two if you like spicy.

Hootie
07-22-2015, 01:40 PM
If you can find it Cowtown original and Cowtown Night of the Living BBQ are the two best sauces Ive ever had. They absolutely blow away AB's, Jack Stack and Gates. NOTLBBQ is the better of the two if you like spicy.

Cowtown Night of the Living BBQ is the best sauce I've had in KC by far. It's very comparable to the hot BBQ sauce I prefer at a place called Hickory River in Champaign (Texas BBQ). I like SUPER HOT BBQ sauce and that stuff is very good. I bought 4 bottles at Joe's last time I was in KC.

aturnis
07-22-2015, 01:41 PM
The store bought version I've gotten in the past also tasted like ass. My guess, is that that is what it is.

gblowfish
07-22-2015, 03:59 PM
If you like the blazing hot stuff, Gates makes an extra hot that you'd probably like. Or, you can take just about any normal BBQ sauce you have and spike it with Cayenne Pepper, and get pretty much the same effect.

Fairplay
07-22-2015, 04:04 PM
I don't remember what it tastes like its been so long, not memorable regardless.

Pablo
07-22-2015, 04:08 PM
Gates for generic BBQ purposes.

Night of the Living Sauce for heat.

Smokestack for sweet sauce.

AB for improving the flavor of a butthole when you're tongue blasting it, but only slightly.

Red Dawg
07-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Ab Sauce is disgusting period.

SAUTO
07-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Does old man bill still own that place?

WilliamTheIrish
07-23-2015, 02:48 PM
If you like the blazing hot stuff, Gates makes an extra hot that you'd probably like. Or, you can take just about any normal BBQ sauce you have and spike it with Cayenne Pepper, and get pretty much the same effect.

I marinate my chicken breasts in that sauce before grilling. Awesome.

Demonpenz
07-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Weird I just had AB's sauce today. It is different...I think you really have to be poor and have to use it on a hot day when you have been working all day or something for it really to taste good.

Mojo Jojo
07-23-2015, 06:44 PM
AB is about the experience at the restaurant...I would never buy the sauce, but love going there to get a big ass brisket sammy that could feed a small nation.

gblowfish
07-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Maybe the store bought sauce needs more roaches???

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/arthur-bryants-barbeque-had-14-critical-violations-during-health-inspection

Hootie
07-24-2015, 02:44 PM
I'm gonna give me own KC BBQ opinion because I'm bored:

I think Bryant's meat is tremendous but their burnt ends are garbage. Great place to get a sandwich. They pummel those things with meat. I think their sauce blows.

Jack Stack, like everyone says, amazing sides. Ok sauce. Meat is fine.

Joe's is the best. By far. I had their combo plate with ribs and it was so good. The Cowtown Night of the Living Dead is the best BBQ sauce in KC IMO.

but strangely enough there are two places in Champaign, IL that are every bit as good as any of those KC places IMO ...

http://www.blackdogsmoke.com/menu/
http://www.hickoryriver.com/

Black Dog is Carolina BBQ, Hickory River is Texas BBQ. I'm a fool for all BBQ, though.

Dayze
07-24-2015, 03:03 PM
If you're coming back to KC, do yourself a favor and get a bottle of Firebug.

The proceed to forget all about gates and AB.

GloryDayz
07-24-2015, 03:33 PM
While I think AB is about the best chance you have in this city to get awesome assembly line BBQ, their original sauce sucks. THAT being admitted, their other sauces are just fine for what they are.

But when it comes to the meat, and assembly line BBQ, AB does the best job I've found with getting the rub and burn right.

But like has been said, get it without sauce (buy it by the lb - it just makes sense), then try the other sauces. Then it's all opinion and assholes...

Halfcan
07-24-2015, 03:38 PM
I always liked their sauce-both spicy and the sweet. Like the spicy better though.