PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Feds finally end prosecution of Barry Bonds

Lex Luthor
07-22-2015, 02:41 PM
The U.S. Department of Justice formally dropped its criminal prosecution of Barry Bonds today, nearly eight years after he was first indicted on obstruction of justice and perjury charges. He was convicted on a single count of obstruction in 2011 but had his conviction overturned by the U.S. Court of Appeals in April of this year. He was acquitted on all perjury counts at his original trial.

As we have argued in painstaking detail, Bonds likely lied under oath during grand jury testimony back in 2003 when he was asked if he ever used performance enhancing drugs. The prosecution was unable to pin him down in a lie, however, because there were no other witnesses willing to testify to contradict him. The obstruction of justice count, based on Bonds’ rambling response to a question which Bonds eventually answered, was about as weak a count as they come. In almost any other case the government would decline to push forward with the prosecution based on a lack of evidence. In this case prosecutors, no doubt motivated by a high profile defendant in a high profile case pushed on.

In the end it cost taxpayers millions lasted nearly twelve years since his grand jury testimony and nearly eight years after his indictment. In the end, like so many times before, Barry Bonds walks.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/21/the-feds-finally-end-their-prosecution-of-barry-bonds/

Ending this was the right thing to do. Bonds lied and everybody knows it, but I don't see what purpose would be served by prosecuting him and sending him to prison. I'd rather use the prison space on guys who beat the shit out of their wives/girlfriends.

TLO
07-22-2015, 03:45 PM
Don't care.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Amazing ball player

stonedstooge
07-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Getting ready to put him in the HOF?

Mav
07-22-2015, 04:37 PM

They never will. He's a top 3 player of all time. That's why the mlb hof is a joke.

Eleazar
07-22-2015, 04:49 PM
They never will. He's a top 3 player of all time. That's why the mlb hof is a joke.

ROFL

Bwana
07-22-2015, 04:50 PM

Yeah the same day as Pete Rose.

Mav
07-22-2015, 04:55 PM
ROFL

Duh number one. I'm a giants fan. So of course it's subjective.

Duh number two. When encompassing the entire history of baseball it's illogical, to logically judge players against each other from different era's. Since I watched a majority of his career, and have an autographed jersey from him, of course I think he's a top 3 player.

Just take way the steroid talk. He was the only member of the 600/600 club.

He was a 3 time NL mvp before there ever was talk of steroids. He was a gold glove defender. He also has the best eye, and greatest understanding of the strike zone and opposing pitchers tendencies that I have ever seen.

My top 3.

The babe
Willie Mays
Barry Bonds.

kysirsoze
07-22-2015, 04:57 PM

Duh number two. When encompassing the entire history of baseball it's illogical, to logically judge players against each other from different era's. Since I watched a majority of his career, and have an autographed jersey from him, of course I think he's a top 3 player.

He was a 3 time NL mvp before there ever was talk of steroids. He was a gold glove defender. He also has the best eye, and greatest understanding of the strike zone and opposing pitchers tendencies that I have ever seen.

My top 3.

The babe
Willie Mays
Barry Bonds.

The only way he's not in the top 5 convo is if steroids are an automatic DQ.

Mav
07-22-2015, 04:59 PM
The only way he's not in the top 5 convo is if steroids are an automatic DQ.

Agreed completely. But I've always felt that baseball has always had some form of cheating, and it's just the era. The steroid era. Just like the dead ball era. It's the foundation that baseball has always been built upon.

Eleazar
07-22-2015, 05:00 PM

My top 3.

The babe
Willie Mays
Barry Bonds.

I suppose that's because fanboys count the roid years to his credit. The rest of the world does not. The honest achievements in his career ended in 98 or 99.

chiefzilla1501
07-22-2015, 05:02 PM
I'm going to say this and i know i'll get destroyed for this. Fuck it. I don't give a shit.

Barry Bonds cheated. But the only reason he's hated this much is because of the media. Nobody gives a shit about McGwire or Sosa. People still consider Papi a hero. Nelson Cruz an all star. People are actually starting to feel sorry for Tom Brady. And the worst part, fans defend the living shit out of this group of cheaters.

Bonds was a cheater. But so were a ton of people during and before the steroid era. The only reason people hate him so much is because the media has shoved it down your throat that you should hate him.

Mav
07-22-2015, 05:03 PM
I suppose that's because fanboys count the roid years to his credit. The rest of the world does not. The honest achievements in his career ended in 98 or 99.

Uh. He had hall of fame credentials before 98. He was a 3 time league mvp and multiple Gold glove winner before that . So, yeah, fanboy and all your still missing the point.

chiefzilla1501
07-22-2015, 05:04 PM

I think the worst part about ARod and Bonds is that these guys would be in the conversation for GOAT even if they never touched PEDs. Assuming they stayed healthy.

Mav
07-22-2015, 05:05 PM
I'm going to say this and i know i'll get destroyed for this. Fuck it. I don't give a shit.

Barry Bonds cheated. But the only reason he's hated this much is because of the media. Nobody gives a shit about McGwire or Sosa. People still consider Papi a hero. Nelson Cruz an all star. People are actually starting to feel sorry for Tom Brady. And the worst part, fans defend the living shit out of this group of cheaters.

Bonds was a cheater. But so were a ton of people during and before the steroid era. The only reason people hate him so much is because the media has shoved it down your throat that you should hate him.

I agree. He was also an asshole to the media. He grew up watching how they treated his dad. He hated them for that.

chiefzilla1501
07-22-2015, 05:10 PM
I agree. He was also an asshole to the media. He grew up watching how they treated his dad. He hated them for that.

The thing is, McGwire wasn't exactly a media darling.

Papi is a huge asshole. But the media has worked its ass off to make him a loveable asshole.

ARod is sleazy with women. Jeter is just a loveable ladies man.

The media has forced this down our throat and we've all bit on it.

Al Bundy
07-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Andy Petite is BELOVED by the media.. and he is an admitted cheater.

chiefzilla1501
07-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Andy Petite is BELOVED by the media.. and he is an admitted cheater.

I think he's a slightly different category because I actually do believe he was using it to recover from an injury.

It's still cheating and he knew what he was getting himself into, so I'll agree with you there.

FringeNC
07-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Despite multiple warnings to the FBI of plots involving hijacking planes and crashing them into buildings, the FBI decided that a jihad against Barry Bonds was a better use of resources. Who the hell cares if Barry Bonds bought steroids or HGH? That may be MLB's problem, but certainly doesn't warrant the diversion of law enforcement assets. Disgraceful.

chiefzilla1501
07-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Despite multiple warnings to the FBI of plots involving hijacking planes and crashing them into buildings, the FBI decided that a jihad against Barry Bonds was a better use of resources. Who the hell cares if Barry Bonds bought steroids or HGH? That may be MLB's problem, but certainly doesn't warrant the diversion of law enforcement assets. Disgraceful.

I don't have a problem with the government intervening in stuff like this. Especially when the commissioner encourages the behavior. Better example for me is the NCAA. These are teams accepting a shitload of public money. And they aren't traditional businesses, they're more like cartels. So the government has to keep them in check from time to time. But agree that the enforcement has been wildly inconsistent. That's where I have a problem.

FringeNC
07-22-2015, 05:34 PM
I don't have a problem with the government intervening in stuff like this. Especially when the commissioner encourages the behavior. Better example for me is the NCAA. These are teams accepting a shitload of public money. And they aren't traditional businesses, they're more like cartels. So the government has to keep them in check from time to time. But agree that the enforcement has been wildly inconsistent. That's where I have a problem.

Why is it relevant if they are accepting public money? Barry Bonds was no threat to the republic. Sure, maybe the sanctity of MLB records was at stake, but that's an issue for the league to deal with, not the Feds.

chiefzilla1501
07-22-2015, 05:49 PM
Why is it relevant if they are accepting public money? Barry Bonds was no threat to the republic. Sure, maybe the sanctity of MLB records was at stake, but that's an issue for the league to deal with, not the Feds.

I agree they spent too much time busting cheaters. But like that they created better rules for testing and enforcement.

Pro sports are different than businesses. They are allowed to break a lot of rules businesses aren't and commissioners/owners can get away with almost everything. Look at how much the NCAA and NFL are weaseling money. So if the leaders aren't enforcing the rules, the governement is the only group that can. In this case, the MLB leadership chose to turn a blind eye to breaking federal laws around steroid distribution while ruining the fairness and integrity of a game that is being heavily, heavily financed by the public. Worse, they were doing it to make more money.

GloucesterChief
07-22-2015, 06:05 PM
My top 3.

The babe
Willie Mays
Barry Bonds.

Sub out Bonds for Griffey Jr.

Anyong Bluth
07-22-2015, 06:26 PM
Thanks for wasting a shit ton of taxpayer money on this stupidity.

kysirsoze
07-22-2015, 06:44 PM

Well it's also because he has all the home run records. If Mcguire still had the season HR record it would be different. Plus, Hank Aaron's record was the fucking holy grail and not only did it go to a cheater, but we knew he was a cheater at the time. We didn't even have the romance of the McGuire/Sosa HR race to hold onto.

KC_Connection
07-22-2015, 07:37 PM
I think he's a slightly different category because I actually do believe he was using it to recover from an injury.

It's still cheating and he knew what he was getting himself into, so I'll agree with you there.

That was certainly his story. If you choose to believe it.

KC_Connection
07-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Griffey isn't anywhere near the same realm as Bonds or those other 2.

Al Bundy
07-22-2015, 07:46 PM

I ALWAYS leave Babe Ruth off my best of all time lists because he didn't play against all of the best players in America.

kstater
07-22-2015, 07:48 PM
LMAO Duffy's reaction to Hos homer.

GloucesterChief
07-22-2015, 07:50 PM

His stats are very close to Bonds. He played in a harder league and at a harder defensive position: center instead of left field.

chiefzilla1501
07-22-2015, 08:27 PM
That was certainly his story. If you choose to believe it.

HGH does improve recovery for injuries and many pitchers think it should be allowed for that purpose. Pettitte wasn't a hard thrower and he was a very good pitcher for many years after he was caught.

That's different to me than a reliever who uses HGH to quickly rebound and pitch the next day. Different from a guy like Clemens who rebounded into a dominant pitcher way past his prime. Different from a guy who increased his fastball by a few mph out of nowhere. I agree that Pettitte should be shamed for using HGH. But I do buy that he wasn't a frequent user.

chiefzilla1501
07-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Well it's also because he has all the home run records. If Mcguire still had the season HR record it would be different. Plus, Hank Aaron's record was the ****ing holy grail and not only did it go to a cheater, but we knew he was a cheater at the time. We didn't even have the romance of the McGuire/Sosa HR race to hold onto.

McGwire broke Maris' record. Everyone knew McGwire was on andro but nobody dared to accuse him. Everyone knew McGwire ballooned from a big guy to a mutant of a big guy.

The difference between McGwire and Sosa's HR chase, and Bonds' HR chase is that the media hated Bonds but loved McGwire/Sosa.

chiefzilla1501
07-22-2015, 08:39 PM
His stats are very close to Bonds. He played in a harder league and at a harder defensive position: center instead of left field.

If you think HRs are the only thing that matters. Even if you give Griffey the edge on HRs and fielding (if he did, it was not by much at all... Bonds was going to be an awesome power hitter regardless of steroids and he was an elite LF)... Barry as an elite pure hitter, base runner, and had extraordinary plate patience. Far better than Griffey in those areas.

Griffey was an outstanding player. But even counting Barry's steroid use, he's no Bonds.

GloucesterChief
07-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Left field is a position where you put so-so defenders. Center and right are much harder positions.

Griffey
AB: 9801
HRs: 630
Hits: 2781
AVG: .284
OBP: .370
RBI: 1836

Along with being the premier defensive outfielder of his generation.

Bonds
AB: 9,847
HRs: 762
Hits: 2935
AVG: .298
OBP: .444
RBI: 1996
AB:

Bonds played left which isn't exactly a hard defensive position.

Eleazar
07-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Uh. He had hall of fame credentials before 98. He was a 3 time league mvp and multiple Gold glove winner before that . So, yeah, fanboy and all your still missing the point.

10 years of the numbers he put up before juicing are HOF credentials. His numbers from that time don't rank him with the best in history.

Mav
07-22-2015, 09:18 PM
I ALWAYS leave Babe Ruth off my best of all time lists because he didn't play against all of the best players in America.

Sorry bro. Babe Ruth was a dominant pitcher, and hitter. Regardless of who he played against, that's unheard of.

Mav
07-22-2015, 09:20 PM
10 years of the numbers he put up before juicing are HOF credentials. His numbers from that time don't rank him with the best in history.

Just because you choose to selectively decide what stats make a hall of fame resume, doesn't mean they don't exist. And you are actually closer to right because bonds will never get in.

Eleazar
07-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Just because you choose to selectively decide what stats make a hall of fame resume, doesn't mean they don't exist. And you are actually closer to right because bonds will never get in.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/e/eb/Bonds.jpg

Mav
07-22-2015, 09:31 PM

Well there is a reason I put Ruth first. My problem with it is that the entire era is tainted. So you claim the era but you don't lock obvious hall of fame players, bonds, McGwire, palmeiro, Clemens, piazza, out of the hof. It's an embarrassment.

Red Dawg
07-22-2015, 09:34 PM
If those old fuggers that vote don't let him in the first try then they are just plain stupid. The whole game was soked with the steroid problem from top to bottom. He is by far deserving. 500 homer and 500 stolen bases. The number two guy with 500 homers has like 250 stolen bases. 7 mvp's and nobody else has over 4. He was the most feared hitter in the history of the sport period.

Eleazar
07-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Well there is a reason I put Ruth first. My problem with it is that the entire era is tainted. So you claim the era but you don't lock obvious hall of fame players, bonds, McGwire, palmeiro, Clemens, piazza, out of the hof. It's an embarrassment.

I'm in favor of locking them all out.

chiefzilla1501
07-22-2015, 09:40 PM

Are you being serious? He is by a landslide to fast to hit the 300-300 club. His final 3 years in Pittsburgh, he was basically a .300 hitter with 30+HRs, 110+ RBIs, 100+ walks, and 35+ SBs. All while being the best defensive LF in the game by a mile. Again, if you're talking about pure HRs and BA... sure. He was elite in almost every single way -- power, blazing speed, outstanding defense, and a great pure hitter with plate discipline.

chiefzilla1501
07-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Left field is a position where you put so-so defenders. Center and right are much harder positions.

Griffey
AB: 9801
HRs: 630
Hits: 2781
AVG: .284
OBP: .370
RBI: 1836

Along with being the premier defensive outfielder of his generation.

Bonds
AB: 9,847
HRs: 762
Hits: 2935
AVG: .298
OBP: .444
RBI: 1996
AB:

Bonds played left which isn't exactly a hard defensive position.

Griffey's defense was overrated. He was flashy. He was one of the better of his generation. But he wasn't even the best defensive center fielder of his generation. He made a lot of flashy catches because he played ridiculously deep in CF. And for that matter, whereas Bonds was a solid fielder his whole career, Griffey's defense the last half of his career was Jeter bad.

Bonds in his prime was easily the best left fielder of his time. And he was outstanding when he played center field prior to moving him after the Pirates brought in Van Slyke.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-23-2015, 10:10 AM

Lulz

TEX
07-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Bonds' head should get even bigger now...He's such a lying tool, as is Roger Clemens.

DaneMcCloud
07-23-2015, 02:43 PM
McGwire broke Maris' record. Everyone knew McGwire was on andro but nobody dared to accuse him. Everyone knew McGwire ballooned from a big guy to a mutant of a big guy.

The difference between McGwire and Sosa's HR chase, and Bonds' HR chase is that the media hated Bonds but loved McGwire/Sosa.

McGwire wasn't on "Andro". That was a complete lie. He was using steroids.

DaneMcCloud
07-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Sorry bro. Babe Ruth was a dominant pitcher, and hitter. Regardless of who he played against, that's unheard of.

Ruth didn't play against the best baseball players in the world, period.

It doesn't take away from his accomplishments in MLB but it's certainly likely that he wouldn't have accomplished as much.

DaneMcCloud
07-23-2015, 02:47 PM

No offense to you but I always thought that was the dumbest argument, ever.

A 260 pound fat guy that partied every night while banging chicks in the late 1990's, early 2000's while putting up historic numbers is absolutely ludicrous.

Demonpenz
07-23-2015, 02:58 PM
Bonds was a COLLEGE LEGEND <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/boNS5G0BxWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

chiefzilla1501
07-23-2015, 03:59 PM
McGwire wasn't on "Andro". That was a complete lie. He was using steroids.

The point was that everybody knew both Bonds and McGwire were on something. There wasn't any proof during their HR chases that they tested positive for anything.

Yet Bonds was a dickheaded juicer chasing a record. While McGwire and Sosa were heroes.

chiefzilla1501
07-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Lulz

Yup. Not to knock Griffey, but there isn't a damn person in the world that would dare put Griffey in the same league as Mays and the Babe. Everyone in the world knows Barry legit belongs in that group... just a question of if steroids taints that.

Mav
07-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately Griffey falls in that what if category.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-23-2015, 05:06 PM
Bonds was easily the best player of his playing era. They all cheated and he outplayed them all. Big fucking deal. Put him where he belongs.....the HOF

chiefzilla1501
07-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Unfortunately Griffey falls in that what if category.

Somewhat. It would have been nice to have an unjuiced guy break the HR record and Griffey really could have. But he still would have been overrated.

Even if we're comparing non-steroid guys to non-steroid guys. Mike Trout is a better pure hitter, base runner, fielder than Griffey and he walks more. The only thing you can say about Griffey is that if he stayed healthy, he could have broken the HR record. At this rate, other than HRs, in Trout's first 10 years he's going to annihilate Griffey's first 10.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-23-2015, 10:13 PM
No guarantee he was clean. Every one in that era is suspect.

Passepartout
07-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Really I never thought the guy was clean in the first place!

DaneMcCloud
07-24-2015, 12:13 AM
Somewhat. It would have been nice to have an unjuiced guy break the HR record and Griffey really could have. But he still would have been overrated.

Even if we're comparing non-steroid guys to non-steroid guys. Mike Trout is a better pure hitter, base runner, fielder than Griffey and he walks more. The only thing you can say about Griffey is that if he stayed healthy, he could have broken the HR record. At this rate, other than HRs, in Trout's first 10 years he's going to annihilate Griffey's first 10.

Let's see Trout GET to 10 years first before proclaiming him to be something he's not yet.

:facepalm:

IF Griffey had succumbed to steroids or HGH, his career numbers would be absolutely untouchable. The fact that he did it without performance enhancers while missing a metric shit ton of games is unbelievable.

His name will be amongst the greats, as it should be.

chiefzilla1501
07-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Let's see Trout GET to 10 years first before proclaiming him to be something he's not yet.

IF Griffey had succumbed to steroids or HGH, his career numbers would be absolutely untouchable. The fact that he did it without performance enhancers while missing a metric shit ton of games is unbelievable.

His name will be amongst the greats, as it should be.
If you want a fairer example, there's no way in hell Griffey belongs in the same conversation as Willie Mays. Griffey is one of the greats but even if he stayed healthy should never be considered G.O.A.T.

I bring trout up because he is better today than Griffey ever was. If trout keeps this up for 10 more years, he could be in the same conversation as Mays.

DaneMcCloud
07-24-2015, 02:09 PM
If you want a fairer example, there's no way in hell Griffey belongs in the same conversation as Willie Mays. Griffey is one of the greats but even if he stayed healthy should never be considered G.O.A.T.

I bring trout up because he is better today than Griffey ever was. If trout keeps this up for 10 more years, he could be in the same conversation as Mays.

And if the Chiefs draft a Hall of Fame QB in the 2016 draft, they'll win 5 Super Bowls.

chiefzilla1501
07-24-2015, 09:52 PM
And if the Chiefs draft a Hall of Fame QB in the 2016 draft, they'll win 5 Super Bowls.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make. There aien't a damn person who knows baseball that would put Griffey in even close to the same league as Mays or the Babe, let alone Bonds. I get BOnds because he was juicing. But even though Griffey is great, he's really overrated.

seamonster
07-24-2015, 10:37 PM
Barry Bonds is a cheating, lying, no-integrity piece of human garbage. He's on the same level as a Lance Armstrong, jsut maybe a little worse. He's a cheater and has no business being recognized for anything related to baseball other than the fact that he shot steroids into his butt cheeks for thirty years.

Mav
07-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Barry Bonds is a cheating, lying, no-integrity piece of human garbage. He's on the same level as a Lance Armstrong, jsut maybe a little worse. He's a cheater and has not business being recognized for anything related to baseball other than the fact that he shot steroids into his butt cheeks for thirty years.

Stupid and narrow minded simpleton point of view. 30 years? A max of 10.

seamonster
07-24-2015, 10:40 PM
He cheated and lied. He's the douchey lance armstrong of baseball and he's about as relevant as sammy sossa.

Mav
07-24-2015, 10:49 PM
He cheated and lied. He's the douchey lance armstrong of baseball and he's about as relevant as sammy sossa.

Except for owning that whole home run record, the single season record, and being considered one of the all time greats.

Completely irrelevant.