PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Why bananas as we know them might go extinct (and what to do about it)

Lzen
07-24-2015, 07:29 AM
(CNN) -- Fifty years ago, we were eating better bananas.

They tasted better, they lasted longer, they were more resilient and didn't require artificial ripening. They were -- simply put -- a better fruit, because they belonged to a different species, or cultivar in banana parlance.

It was called Gros Michel and it remained the world's export banana until 1965.

That year, it was declared commercially extinct due to the Panama disease, a fungal disease that started out from Central America and quickly spread to most of the world's commercial banana plantations, leaving no other choice but to burn them down.

The banana industry was in deep crisis, and had to look for alternatives. It settled with the Cavendish cultivar, which was deemed an inferior product but carried the distinction of being immune to the disease. It was quickly adopted by banana growers worldwide.

Today, the Cavendish is a universal foodstuff, much like a Big Mac: supermarket bananas are pretty much identical anywhere you buy them.

That's because they have nearly no genetic diversity -- the plants are all clones of one another. The Cavendish is a monoculture, which means it's the only variety that most commercial growers plant every year. Which is also why it is now under threat itself, from a new strain of the Panama disease. And once it infects one plant, it can infect them all.

Fifty years on, one of the most popular commercial foods in the world is once again under threat.

A threat to Africa

There are hundreds of banana varieties in the world, but the Cavendish alone accounts for nearly the totality of exports.

"Starting in the late 1980s, banana growers realized more diversity was needed to prevent the problem from happening again. They were begging their bosses for it, but it never happened," Dan Koeppel, author of the book "Banana: The fate of the fruit that changed the world," told CNN.

The disease now has a different name, "Tropical Race 4," and it started out in Malaysia around 1990, but it's otherwise very similar to the one that wiped out the Gros Michel: "It's caused by a really common type of fungus called Fusarium, which was probably already in the soil there. A single clamp of contaminated dirt is enough to spread it like wildfire, and it can be transported by wind, cars, water, creating an infection wherever it goes," explained Koeppel.

"Everyone who's ever had athlete's foot knows how hard it is to get rid of a fungus."

The pathogen affects the plant's vascular system, preventing it from picking up water.

Since its "second coming," TP4 has spread to South-east Asia, then across thousands of miles of open ocean to Australia and finally, in 2013, to Africa.

"Its recent discovery in the Middle East and in Nampula, Mozambique, indicates that the disease is spreading and threatening bananas worldwide," George Mahuku, Senior plant pathologist for the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, told CNN.

"It's a serious threat to livelihoods and food security in the Nampulaprovince, country and the continent, should it spread. In Africa, bananas are critical for food security and income generation for more than 100 million people," he added.

Not just the Cavendish

Even though the disease appears to have spread to just two plantations in Mozambique, the impact on the local economy is already severe: "The disease has already cost Matanuska, the company that owns the plantations, about $7.5 million. A total of 230,000 plants have been affected and destroyed. At the current rate of infection, the farm is losing 15,000 plants per week, translating to $236,000 per week," said Mahuku.

With Matanuska contributing over $1.5 million per month to the local economy, the potential loss of livelihood is very real.

Mahuku's job is to coordinate efforts to slow down the disease, prompting collaboration from around 20 African countries: "The East and Central Africa region has over 50% of its permanent crop area under banana cultivation. That's around half of the African total, with an annual production of 20.9 million tonnes valued at $ 4.3 billion. Bananas are an indispensable part of life in this region providing up to one fifth of the total calorie consumption per capita. If TR4 were to spread into this region, the effects would be unimaginable."

Many of these bananas are not Cavendish, but local varieties, or "village bananas," and they are also under threat from the disease: "Preliminary results from evaluation of nine East African Highland bananas and plantains revealed that they can be infected with TR4. Only one cultivar remained disease free after eight months," said Mahuku.

There is also an issue of consumer trust associated with the discovery of the disease, according to Joao Augusto, a plant pathologist working with IITA in Mozambique: "One of the biggest threats is the negative perception that the rest of the world may have on perceived risk of the African banana. Although the spread of the pathogen through the fruit is almost nil, possible rejection of African banana exports could seriously damage the banana business in Africa."

Can it be stopped?

The disease is not more virulent than the one that killed the Gros Michel, but it's spreading because the bad practices from 50 years ago are still in place: "The banana industry is in denial about this, and standard agricultural quarantines like fencing the crops and cleaning the equipment are not enough," added Koeppel.

The only solution would be to burn the plantation down and start over, but with a different crop. Restarting with bananas doesn't work because the fungus stays in the soil.

That, however, means the end of the business: "I understand growers don't want to throw the towel," Koeppel noted.

In Africa, a 12-month emergency project funded by FAO is underway to tackle TP4, and Mahuku is optimistic that the disease can be contained to the areas where it has been observed: "To achieve this, financial resources are needed, otherwise inaction due to lack of resources will be catastrophic, especially for small farmers who depend on bananas for their livelihoods," he said.

According to Augusto, there aren't many options to effectively control the disease: "It cannot be eradicated, but it can be limited if a wide range of strong preventive and mitigation initiatives are put in place and rigorously implemented. In countries where the disease is endemic, the banana growers have learned to live with it."

Ultimately, history could well repeat itself and prompt banana growers to look for a new alternative. There is no good candidateat the moment, but hybrids and GMOs are being considered.

The disease is not the only problem, though. Just as the Cavendish is under attack from the pathogen, local varieties are under attack from the Cavendish: "India had about 600 varieties, but over the past two decades the Cavendish has pushed out and replaced many of those. And when you replace a varied multiculture with a monoculture, if a disease happens, you're in trouble: nature comes back and bites you," said Koeppel.

"Monoculture to me is just as much a disease as TP4," he added.

While diversity has been embraced by most other vegetable and fruit industries, the Cavendish -- called "the hotel banana" in India -- is still the only banana in town in most export markets.

Hopefully its dominance won't lead to its downfall.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2015 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Why Not?
07-24-2015, 07:31 AM
Nah.....Minions.

ptlyon
07-24-2015, 07:39 AM
I demand a "Better Banana Coalition" immediately

Bugeater
07-24-2015, 07:58 AM
This is nothing to go bananas over

Nightfyre
07-24-2015, 08:06 AM
I just don't get the ap-peel of a banana.

KCUnited
07-24-2015, 08:07 AM
We need to foster more awareness about this.

Chief_For_Life58
07-24-2015, 08:11 AM
tldr

gblowfish
07-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Yes, we have no bananas.
We have no bananas today....

Lzen
07-24-2015, 08:41 AM
You guys crack me up.

ROFL

CP comes through again.

Beef Supreme
07-24-2015, 08:42 AM
Daylight come, and me wan' go home.

BigMeatballDave
07-24-2015, 09:08 AM
Interesting. I just saw a question about this on Millionaire about an hr ago.

Graystoke
07-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks Obanana

FlaChief58
07-24-2015, 09:37 AM
I hate big fungus

Why Not?
07-24-2015, 09:47 AM
This shit is bananas.

MahiMike
07-24-2015, 09:50 AM
This kinda stuff really gets under my skin.

stevieray
07-24-2015, 09:58 AM
....anyone else put the Chiquita sticker on their forehead?

Eleazar
07-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Those old bananas were much better. You'd get a six foot, seven foot, eight foot bunch.

KC native
07-24-2015, 10:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ifpHp.gif

Ebolapox
07-24-2015, 10:06 AM
but where will I get my radioactivity from now?!? :(

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-24-2015, 10:10 AM
but where will I get my radioactivity from now?!? :(

Low-sodium salt.

Hootie
07-24-2015, 10:13 AM
big boost for the hot dog industry

better start investing in Oscar Meyer again

Ebolapox
07-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Low-sodium salt.

w00t!

out of sheer curiosity, I recall a high school science teacher of mine having irradiated salt from the MU research reactor... and it being something you can actually get done for the giggles. is this something you could do 25 years ago but not now?

asking for a...friend... yeah, a friend. that's the ticket.

BlackHelicopters
07-24-2015, 10:58 AM
Ban bananas.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-24-2015, 11:31 AM
w00t!

out of sheer curiosity, I recall a high school science teacher of mine having irradiated salt from the MU research reactor... and it being something you can actually get done for the giggles. is this something you could do 25 years ago but not now?

asking for a...friend... yeah, a friend. that's the ticket.

You should be able to make a request to MURR and they could put something on the docket, but I have no idea as to the priority. I plan/hope to get an internship there sometime after my first year of pharm school. I could certainly provide you with a lot more information after that.

FlaChief58
07-24-2015, 02:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ifpHp.gif

She really has curve a-peel

Beef Supreme
07-24-2015, 02:17 PM
9ePIZugahFc

teedubya
07-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Those original bananas have to be somewhere...

ct
07-24-2015, 03:28 PM
GMOs will save your soul

Sanka
07-24-2015, 03:34 PM
PBJPBJPBJPBJ

DanBecky
07-24-2015, 03:46 PM
This thread is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S

dj56dt58
07-24-2015, 06:42 PM
Stop joking this is very cereal

Anyong Bluth
07-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Fun fact. You know how banana flavored candy doesn't taste like a banana. Actually, when they were able to first make a banana artificial flavoring the common type of banana most sold all around the world actually did taste like the banana flavoring we all know.

It eventually became harder and harder to sustain growing and the crop suffered a collapse. Producers were forced to switch and start growing the banana we know currently.

gblowfish
07-24-2015, 07:55 PM
One banana
Two banana
Three banana
Four.

Four bananas make a bunch,
and so do many more!

Anyong Bluth
07-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Doc, does this look infected to you?

http://www.animatedimages.org/data/media/330/animated-banana-image-0010.gif (http://www.animatedimages.org/cat-bananas-330.htm)

Katipan
07-24-2015, 08:03 PM
Would the whole thing.

Anyong Bluth
07-24-2015, 08:09 PM
Would the whole thing.
like a champion!

cdcox
07-24-2015, 08:42 PM
You guys are slipping. I'm going to split.

Buehler445
07-24-2015, 09:07 PM
Coincidently Fusarium causes head scab in wheat. /agriculture facts that nobody but Buehler445 gives a shit about.

Anyong Bluth
07-24-2015, 10:13 PM
Coincidently Fusarium causes head scab in wheat. /agriculture facts that nobody but Buehler445 gives a shit about.
Ohhh! Tell me more...

Talk grainy to me!

Scooter LaCanforno
07-25-2015, 06:34 AM
Yea, Great Fishing for everyone!

Buehler445
07-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Ohhh! Tell me more...

Talk grainy to me!

I know you're joking but you're getting it anyway. Why? Because fuck the organic movement. The more information out there the better. Even though I know nobody is going to read this.

Fusarium causes head scab, which can be neutralized by a properly timed fungicide application but it's not the only fungal infection affecting wheat. Stripe rust causes the most acres to be treated. Similar looking but different phenotype and agronomic impacts are leaf rust and stem rust. They are far less aggressive but potentially dangerous to wheat production. Tan spot and powdery mildew are early season infections that are primarily related to heavy residue and cool wet spring conditions. All of these can be treated with fun code applications. Head smut is also common but rarely requires fungicide applications

Viral infections are also common. Most are carried by insects that need to be offset by insecticide applications. The problem is that you have to scout for the bug not the visual symptoms of the disease. Wheat streak mosaic is caused by the wheat curl mite, which chills out in volunteer wheat early in the season which is why it is critical to control volunteer wheat after harvest because the mites move a long way. High Plains Virus looks very similar but is less common. Barley Yellow Dwarf is spread by the Bird Cherry Oat Aphid.

Physical damage to the plant is also a big concern for wheat. Haitian Fly and Sawtooth Fly affect seedling wheat as well as grasshoppers, but those are usually just the edges. Brown Wheat mites affect drought stressed wheat coming out of dormancy in the spring. Greenbugs affect wheat in later physiological stages.

Soil Borne Mosaic is a viral infection that is in the soil. It is offset by crop rotation.

There's your readers digest wheat pathology overview. What do you want to talk about next? Fertility issues? Pesticide efficacy? Corn Pathology? Sorghum Pathology? Soil health and the effects of tillage? All of which are detrimental to organic systems.

Anyong Bluth
07-25-2015, 09:48 AM
I know you're joking but you're getting it anyway. Why? Because fuck the organic movement. The more information out there the better. Even though I know nobody is going to read this.

Fusarium causes head scab, which can be neutralized by a properly timed fungicide application but it's not the only fungal infection affecting wheat. Stripe rust causes the most acres to be treated. Similar looking but different phenotype and agronomic impacts are leaf rust and stem rust. They are far less aggressive but potentially dangerous to wheat production. Tan spot and powdery mildew are early season infections that are primarily related to heavy residue and cool wet spring conditions. All of these can be treated with fun code applications. Head smut is also common but rarely requires fungicide applications

Viral infections are also common. Most are carried by insects that need to be offset by insecticide applications. The problem is that you have to scout for the bug not the visual symptoms of the disease. Wheat streak mosaic is caused by the wheat curl mite, which chills out in volunteer wheat early in the season which is why it is critical to control volunteer wheat after harvest because the mites move a long way. High Plains Virus looks very similar but is less common. Barley Yellow Dwarf is spread by the Bird Cherry Oat Aphid.

Physical damage to the plant is also a big concern for wheat. Haitian Fly and Sawtooth Fly affect seedling wheat as well as grasshoppers, but those are usually just the edges. Brown Wheat mites affect drought stressed wheat coming out of dormancy in the spring. Greenbugs affect wheat in later physiological stages.

Soil Borne Mosaic is a viral infection that is in the soil. It is offset by crop rotation.

There's your readers digest wheat pathology overview. What do you want to talk about next? Fertility issues? Pesticide efficacy? Corn Pathology? Sorghum Pathology? Soil health and the effects of tillage? All of which are detrimental to organic systems.
I'll read it. I promise.
Next time I need to take a shit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-25-2015, 10:58 AM
Fun fact. You know how banana flavored candy doesn't taste like a banana. Actually, when they were able to first make a banana artificial flavoring the common type of banana most sold all around the world actually did taste like the banana flavoring we all know.

It eventually became harder and harder to sustain growing and the crop suffered a collapse. Producers were forced to switch and start growing the banana we know currently.

Actually a fun urban legend only:

http://io9.com/debunking-the-myth-of-the-fake-banana-flavor-1629459201

GloucesterChief
07-25-2015, 11:15 AM
The article does say that the Gros Michel actually does taste a lot like artificial banana.

Bugeater
07-25-2015, 11:25 AM

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/966/853/e44.gif

Buehler445
07-25-2015, 11:50 AM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/966/853/e44.gif

ROFL.

He asked for it. You're welcome though, that's at least 300 pages of textbooks.

eDave
07-25-2015, 11:51 AM
I know you're joking but you're getting it anyway. Why? Because **** the organic movement. The more information out there the better. Even though I know nobody is going to read this.

I want to know how to increase the THC content of my latest crop.

Buehler445
07-25-2015, 01:52 PM
I want to know how to increase the THC content of my latest crop.

He said talk grainy to me. You are referring to a forage plant. That's an entirely different agronomic environment.

Anyong Bluth
07-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Actually a fun urban legend only:

http://io9.com/debunking-the-myth-of-the-fake-banana-flavor-1629459201
Well then you should contact Stuff You Should Know. They're spreading lies

seclark
07-25-2015, 03:45 PM
head scab sounds pretty fuckin nasty.
good luck, Buehler445.
sec

Anyong Bluth
07-25-2015, 03:57 PM
Well , it looks like this is not a settled question.

There's a number of discussions about debunking the debunking of banana flavoring is based on the Gros Michel.

I don't expect any artificial flavor to be an exact match, but I'm leaning towards this having some truth behind it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex0URF-hWj4&sns=em

Miles
07-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Haven't had them in a long ass time but banana ruts are good.

Buehler445
07-25-2015, 04:28 PM
head scab sounds pretty fuckin nasty.
good luck, Buehler445.
sec

Oh no. I live in the desert. It's not a problem out here. It's just interesting that a fungal infection from the same family nukes bananas.

I had head scab for the first and only time on some triticale I was growing for certified seed. That's an eastern problem.

Just Passin' By
07-25-2015, 08:19 PM
I know you're joking but you're getting it anyway. Why? Because **** the organic movement. The more information out there the better. Even though I know nobody is going to read this.

:hmmm:

Please, feel free to drop some knowledge about powdery mildew and some safe ways to get rid of it without trashing your entire crop of squash.

Buehler445
07-25-2015, 11:24 PM
:hmmm:

Please, feel free to drop some knowledge about powdery mildew and some safe ways to get rid of it without trashing your entire crop of squash.

It is probably not the same species of fungus that grows in wheat, but get yourself to a garden store, buy some fungicide labeled for vegetables, apply it per the label directions, but ensure you achieve good coverage (be sure to apply it to the whole plant. Don't let the leaves shade a part of the plant from your spray). Observe the harvest interval.

In terms of preventing it, there really isn't a lot you can do other than broadcast apply fungicide to the garden before you plant to get any soil borne pathogens. If you are watering, be sure to apply water in the daytime, so the plant has time to dry off. Also, it is better to water more quantity less often than small amounts each day. As long as there is profile in the root zone, it will be fine and let the top inch or so of the soil dry out.

Kaepernick
07-25-2015, 11:35 PM
The cause of the Irish potato famine was that the Irish came to so love the flavor of one variety of potato over all others that they quit planting all other types of potatoes. An aerial fungus swept through the variety of potato being planted, obliterating crop yields. If they planted a greater genetic diversity of potatoes and the one variety was wiped out by the aerial fungus, then they would still have had healthy edible potatoes from different varieties.

Instead, Ireland suffered mass starvation.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past. What a shame.

Buehler445
07-25-2015, 11:37 PM
The cause of the Irish potato famine was that the Irish came to so love the flavor of one variety of potato over all others that they quit planting all other types of potatoes.

It was yield far far more than taste.

beach tribe
07-26-2015, 08:03 AM
Daylight come, and me wan' go home.

I have tallied the bananas. There are zero.

WilliamTheIrish
07-26-2015, 08:12 AM
head scab sounds pretty ****in nasty.
good luck, Buehler445.
sec

But head smut? That's hot!

WilliamTheIrish
07-26-2015, 08:14 AM
The cause of the Irish potato famine was that the Irish came to so love the flavor of one variety of potato over all others that they quit planting all other types of potatoes. An aerial fungus swept through the variety of potato being planted, obliterating crop yields. If they planted a greater genetic diversity of potatoes and the one variety was wiped out by the aerial fungus, then they would still have had healthy edible potatoes from different varieties.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past. What a shame.

Well, yea. But a bigger factor was the English trying to starve them to extinction during that time.

donkhater
07-26-2015, 08:37 AM

And that's just the U.S. Europe has to contend with Septoria tritici (Leaf blotch) that will completely obliterate an entire field if left unchecked, especially during wet seasons. Many fungicides are ineffective due to the proliferation of resistant strains. It is the #1 crop protection product goal of nearly every ag company.

Anyong Bluth
07-26-2015, 09:42 AM

It's pretty amazing how the potato revolutionized sustainable food sources and was a significant factor in the advent of the European Renaissance.

Not native to Europe, the Spanish brought back the potato from South America, around Peru. A major reason for its importance was it's immunity to a large number of other reasons crops weren't as nearly dependable for a food source. It's protection by growing in the ground.

Constant war in Europe destabilized food sources. Fields were burned, or trampled and destroyed, or seized by armies moving through to restock provisions.

After the introduction of the potato into Ireland, its population more than doubled in about 60 years! Dependable food sources were a major component as to how Europe was able to assert its authority and influence over other regions of the world- including colonization.

I highly recommend a book titled Sapiens . It's fascinating and explores our historical evolution and how we eventually managed to survive as opposed to other types such as neanderthal, and tons of other subspecies of man.

There's a rather interesting debate that is presented that lays out the counter-arguement of the transition from a hunter gatherer to agrarian being man's defining achievement.
Top of the list? Yes, but it offers some logical and well thought out negative impact and consequences on this dramatic shift in our historical path and evolutionary complexity.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I highly recommend it along with A brief history of nearly everything.

I have a copy of both on Unabridged audio somewhere. If people are at all interested I could dig them up and make available through a privately linked digital locker?

GloucesterChief
07-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Well, the potato has the most calories per acre planted of any food crop. It is easy to plant and harvest. Grows just about anywhere. Requires little to no processing to be edible. Keeps extremely well without refrigeration.

Anyong Bluth
07-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Well, the potato has the most calories per acre planted of any food crop. It is easy to plant and harvest. Grows just about anywhere. Requires little to no processing to be edible. Keeps extremely well without refrigeration.
Plus it has a fair number of vitamins, nutrients, and fiber- healthy digestive system = more efficient purge of toxins and waste.

A poh-tay-toe has more potassium than a banana, for example. I just thought I'd bring the discussion full circle to include the original topic.

ThaVirus
07-26-2015, 02:18 PM
It's pretty amazing how the potato revolutionized sustainable food sources and was a significant factor in the advent of the European Renaissance.

Not native to Europe, the Spanish brought back the potato from South America, around Peru. A major reason for its importance was it's immunity to a large number of other reasons crops weren't as nearly dependable for a food source. It's protection by growing in the ground.

Constant war in Europe destabilized food sources. Fields were burned, or trampled and destroyed, or seized by armies moving through to restock provisions.

After the introduction of the potato into Ireland, its population more than doubled in about 60 years! Dependable food sources were a major component as to how Europe was able to assert its authority and influence over other regions of the world- including colonization.

I highly recommend a book titled Sapiens . It's fascinating and explores our historical evolution and how we eventually managed to survive as opposed to other types such as neanderthal, and tons of other subspecies of man.

There's a rather interesting debate that is presented that lays out the counter-arguement of the transition from a hunter gatherer to agrarian being man's defining achievement.
Top of the list? Yes, but it offers some logical and well thought out negative impact and consequences on this dramatic shift in our historical path and evolutionary complexity.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I highly recommend it along with A brief history of nearly everything.

I have a copy of both on Unabridged audio somewhere. If people are at all interested I could dig them up and make available through a privately linked digital locker?

I'm interested.

Rain Man
07-26-2015, 02:35 PM
The potato can also be converted in a very unhealthy and tasty french fry.

Buehler445
07-26-2015, 02:48 PM

I'd be in.

Anyong Bluth
07-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Alright, I'll locate it, upload it, and post a private link here once it's squared away.

If I have to password protect it for folder access, the password will be :

banana

penchief
07-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Thanks Obanana

Let's not go apeshit crazy over this...

WilliamTheIrish
07-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Let's not go apeshit crazy over this...

Long time, pen.

Anyong Bluth
07-29-2015, 03:25 AM
Alight, everything is uploaded and placed in their own folder.

The link is private, but essentially accessible to anyone with the url, and possibly through a Google search. I have put a password on it's access just in case.

The password is :

banana

I hope everyone enjoys it. I'm a bit curious to see what people think about either of them. If anyone wants to, but there's no obligation.

https://app.box.com/s/dvhbk16e7w5u4t4gc64f3hu6xd3lcoj2

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/29/21e8b7ba2ec369bceb90c4b759ea3672.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/29/3bf7959fc936262bb105bf7c0e04a68d.jpg

PS. I lied. We'll be having a weekly quiz, and a list of essay topics for you to choose from will be handed out in a couple weeks. They'll be due a week after we finish each book.

Rausch
07-29-2015, 05:46 AM
PS. I lied. We'll be having a weekly quiz, and a list of essay topics for you to choose from will be handed out in a couple weeks. They'll be due a week after we finish each book.

Good.

I fucking hate when I'm the only one in class to do the required reading...

Rausch
07-29-2015, 05:47 AM
Good.

I ****ing hate when I'm the only one in class to do the required reading...

I'm just kidding.

I'm pretty sure that never actually happened../.