PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late Night Bullshit: Fanaika might not make the 2015 roster

RealSNR
07-31-2015, 09:37 PM
Maybe a good ol' LNBS thread will lure Direckshun out of his hiding.

I was talking about training camp with a fellow Chiefs fan, and the clusterfuck at OL came up in conversation. Morse isn't going anywhere, and I don't think Allen is either, because he plays too many goddamn positions and has experience at RT that we desperately need.

What if Fulton and LDT take strides? We can't keep all of these fat fucks, and we paid Fanaika way too much cash to cut if he's the weak link, right?

Well, this Chiefs fan directed me to this fanpost on Arrowhead Pride:
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/7/26/9045007/paul-fanaikas-money-understanding-contracts-the-cap-and-cuttability

I normally hate cap conversations, but this post basically corrected me on a misconception I had-- we don't lose money if we cut Fanaika before the regular season. We only rack up dead money, but we actually GAIN cap space in all three years of Fanaika's contract that we gave him. Dorsey would end up saving money for the most part because they guys he's choosing over Fanaika make far less money.

I have zero clue who's going to claim those spots on the line. It's a butt fuck ton of competition, that's for sure. Basically, we've got 5 guys (Morse, Allen, Fanaika, Fulton, LDT) competing for one spot, and MAYBE one of those losers would find a home at another starting position (Allen at RT is my best guess... very slim chance that Morse beats Kush out of a C job). The rest of those cats don't play a lick of tackle, however. That's the problem with jacking up the competition like that for one position. You've got to figure out what to do with all of them, and they all possess something you might want to keep. LDT is the likely choice to be the low man on the totem pole, but what if he shows progress and just needs more time? We can't let him go that easily.

Now I'm just rambling. But my point is that I wouldn't be surprised at all if Fanaika is one of the losers. If that's the case, there's nothing about his contract that will protect him. He'll be gone.

ThaVirus
07-31-2015, 09:38 PM
Heyyyyy.

You're not Direckshun!

Hammock Parties
07-31-2015, 09:38 PM
Who?

Our OL is filled with nobodies. This guy isn't worth mentioning. It's Grubbs and spare parts.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2015, 09:48 PM
Many Bothans died to bring us this information

RealSNR
07-31-2015, 09:51 PM
Many Bothans got raped to bring us this information

FYP

alpha_omega
07-31-2015, 09:54 PM
I kind of figured that would be the deal.
Wasn't he a member of the all pro suckage team recently?

BossChief
07-31-2015, 09:58 PM
I'll be shocked if he makes the team, but it's possible. How many OL did we keep last year?

Fisher
Grubbs
LDT
Morse
Stephenson
Allen
Kush
Fulton
Sherrod
Fanaika

If it wasn't so late, I'd send Shun a text like "baby come back.."

I'll send him a message tomorrow...I miss that guy around here. He created lots of Chiefs football related conversations and was fun to talk to. I'll bet he's at a hotel in St Joes for camp right now. I'd love to hear his input.

Hoover
07-31-2015, 09:59 PM
bad signing. never needed him

BossChief
07-31-2015, 10:02 PM
Can't keep guys like Fanaika if it means cutting another position group short and letting go of a player much more talented than Fanaika just because.

If you're gonna keep 10 OL, go get a guy like Mathis....at least then it's worth it.

DaneMcCloud
07-31-2015, 10:03 PM
FYP

LMAO

rtmike
07-31-2015, 10:08 PM
Some news reports made it sound like the Cardinals "lost" him but I'm sure it was more of the fact they didn't want his freeway style pass protection if they plan to keep Palmer upright all season. :doh!:

I think Dorsey panicked. At the time I don't think New Orleans was house cleaning yet. I'm sure had he known Grubbs would be available he would have never signed Fannycan. I'm afraid this will be another Dunta type signing if he makes the regular season roster?

Chiefshrink
07-31-2015, 10:11 PM
SNR , take some paxil man. It's okay. Dorsey has this:thumb:

BossChief
07-31-2015, 10:13 PM
Some news reports made it sound like the Cardinals "lost" him but I'm sure it was more of the fact they didn't want his freeway style pass protection if they plan to keep Palmer upright all season. :doh!:

I think Dorsey panicked. At the time I don't think New Orleans was house cleaning yet. I'm sure had he known Grubbs would be available he would have never signed Fannycan. I'm afraid this will be another Dunta type signing if he makes the regular season roster?

It's not that bad. Dunta was signed for about 6m per.

This guy is getting peanuts and already got all of his guaranteed $ in his SB.

I'm just not sure what he brings to the team.

He's a power blocker, not a zone guy
He's a RG and only provides cheap experienced depth...something Fulton does, too at a cheaper price tag
He hasn't really flashed quality play from what I've read.

I'm still puzzled why we signed him.

Hammock Parties
07-31-2015, 10:13 PM
Many Bothans died to bring us this information

Admiral Ackbar was great at diagnosing trap plays.

milkman
07-31-2015, 11:19 PM
Why exactly is unlikely that Morse won't beat out Kush for the center position?

BossChief
07-31-2015, 11:31 PM

Because se he is terrible at snapping the ball in shotgun....like absolutely horrible at it. And he's young and hasn't played center for 3 years.

Best case scenario is he wins the RG job, IMO.

Fisher
Grubbs
Kush
Morse
Allen/Stephenson/Sherrod

RealSNR
07-31-2015, 11:47 PM

Because he doesn't even know how to fucking snap the ball yet

ThaVirus
08-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Im wondering how many times SNR and Milkman can go at it about the OL before the season

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2015, 12:05 AM
I think Dorsey panicked

Agreed.

Although Fanaika won't cost much to cut.

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Im wondering how many times SNR and Milkman can go at it about the OL before the season

More than zero

RealSNR
08-01-2015, 12:09 AM

When we start to get some answers figured out about this line during training camp, there will be fewer of those types of lively conversations that milkman and I had this offseason.

BossChief
08-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Agreed.

366,000 in lost cap space, but if he's replaced with a cheaper rookie that negates that amount and adds like 2.5m next year if we cut him this year.

I'm sure Clark won't worry too much about that 1.75m blunder.

milkman
08-01-2015, 12:31 AM
Because he doesn't even know how to ****ing snap the ball yet

And he can never learn.

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2015, 12:38 AM
And he can never learn.

IMO, Morse is better suited at guard.

BlackOp
08-01-2015, 01:33 AM
Agreed.

I think it was a pragmatic move....in case the draft didn't shake out the way they hoped.

Dorsey knew the line he had was terrible....

Richardson has been solid at times....and he's in a contract year. My guess he's RT for 2015....so the battle for starting RG is in play...

milkman
08-01-2015, 02:03 AM
I think it was a pragmatic move....in case the draft didn't shake out the way they hoped.

Richardson has been solid at times....and he's in a contract year. My guess he's RT for 2015....so the battle for starting RG is in play...

I think Niswanger has a chance to become something this year.

aturnis
08-01-2015, 02:49 AM

This. We always try to go into the draft with zero REAL needs under Dorsey. He was insurance.

aturnis
08-01-2015, 02:56 AM
I think Niswanger has a chance to become something this year.
Lol

Jamie
08-01-2015, 03:17 AM
My guess is they keep 9, and Sherrod is the odd man out. Stephenson backs up LT, and Allen backs up RT. A lot of it depends on how the starters shake out.

Mav
08-01-2015, 05:58 AM
My guess is they keep 9, and Sherrod is the odd man out. Stephenson backs up LT, and Allen backs up RT. A lot of it depends on how the starters shake out.

Yeah. Sherrod is awful. I mean mike mcglyn awful. And injury prone to boot.

chiefzilla1501
08-01-2015, 06:52 AM

Really? First, Fanaika isn't as bad as Chiefs' fans want him to be. It's not a bad stopgap move. But I agree with SNR that this contract was set up to be cut as soon as someone can beat him out.

This is classic Dorsey. Overpay an okay veteran to a multi-year contract that's easy to slash, then bring lots of young competition. What makes this okay is Reid isn't afraid to play the best guy, Dorsey isn't afraid to slash the contract, and in most cases Dorsey brings in a lot of young talent to compete for that job. I would bet the Mauga signing is being dealt with the same way.

mcaj22
08-01-2015, 07:31 AM
Morse and LDT are our 2016 starting RG and RT for when Allen and Stephenson both go far far far far far away from this team.

mcaj22
08-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Really? First, Fanaika isn't as bad as Chiefs' fans want him to be. It's not a bad stopgap move. But I agree with SNR that this contract was set up to be cut as soon as someone can beat him out.

This is classic Dorsey. Overpay an okay veteran to a multi-year contract that's easy to slash, then bring lots of young competition. What makes this okay is Reid isn't afraid to play the best guy, Dorsey isn't afraid to slash the contract, and in most cases Dorsey brings in a lot of young talent to compete for that job. I would bet the Mauga signing is being dealt with the same way.

except for the part where theres no competition at MLB behind Mauga to beat him out. There's 750 offensives guard on this team

chiefzilla1501
08-01-2015, 07:38 AM
except for the part where theres no competition at MLB behind Mauga to beat him out. There's 750 offensives guard on this team

The Chiefs drafted 2 ILBs this draft. Hardly think that's a coincidence. I'm not high on either of those guys, but their job isn't to be DJ. Their job is to be as good or better than Mauga. Mauga is insurance in case that doesn't happen. It's not a bad strategy if your goal is to try to jam in a lot of low round draft picks or cheap value guys for competition.

mcaj22
08-01-2015, 08:07 AM
The Chiefs drafted 2 ILBs this draft. Hardly think that's a coincidence. I'm not high on either of those guys, but their job isn't to be DJ. Their job is to be as good or better than Mauga. Mauga is insurance in case that doesn't happen. It's not a bad strategy if your goal is to try to jam in a lot of low round draft picks or cheap value guys for competition.

not defending Mauga by any means but for some rookie to leap fog him they would have to

-know both the defensive and special teams playbook as good as him. (zero chance of this)
-be faster than him/know where to be

Mauga has zero playmaking ability, can't shoot a gap or really do anything with instincts (jump a pass, light a guy up, etc). But Mauga has play calling experience, is a special teams ace, can play the middle zone in pass coverage.

That rookie better be good to beat out experience.

The offensive guard thing is different because the turds we had there never really did anything and don't contribute in any other way other than being a guard or tackle getting blown up on the right side.

chiefzilla1501
08-01-2015, 09:03 AM
not defending Mauga by any means but for some rookie to leap fog him they would have to

-know both the defensive and special teams playbook as good as him. (zero chance of this)

Mauga has zero playmaking ability, can't shoot a gap or really do anything with instincts (jump a pass, light a guy up, etc). But Mauga has play calling experience, is a special teams ace, can play the middle zone in pass coverage.

The offensive guard thing is different because the turds we had there never really did anything and don't contribute in any other way other than being a guard or tackle getting blown up on the right side.
Just pointing out that it's not unusual for the chiefs to buy stopgaps and then bring in lots of competition.

RealSNR
08-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Who the fuck is Richardson?

milkman
08-01-2015, 09:09 AM

Fanaika is a trash can.

Sweet Daddy Hate
OH MY SWEET GOD PLEASE SAY IT ISN'T SO.

Rausch
He should have never been signed...

chiefzilla1501
08-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Fanaika is a trash can.
He is not good, he is not terrible. He's better than what we have and he has plenty of competition. Like Vance Walker, if a young guy beats him out, which is definitely possible, they can cut him next year.

milkman
08-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Here's my thoughts.

Fisher, Grubs, Kush, Allen and Stephenson are the starters from left to right, so are locks on this roster.

Morse, as a 2nd rounder, and LDT, with athletic abiliity and upside, are also locks.

That leaves one spot for the rest of the garbage to cover.

milkman
08-01-2015, 09:15 AM
He is not good, he is not terrible. He's better than what we have and he has plenty of competition. Like Vance Walker, if a young guy beats him out, which is definitely possible, they can cut him next year.

He sucks ass more than you do.

Rausch
08-01-2015, 09:16 AM
He is not good, he is not terrible.

Actually, he is terrible...

milkman
08-01-2015, 09:16 AM
Being better than the rest of the garbage that he's competing against in camp doesn't make him anything close to good, or even servicable.

RealSNR
08-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Here's my thoughts.

Fisher, Grubs, Kush, Allen and Stephenson are the starters from left to right, so are locks on this roster.

Morse, as a 2nd rounder, and LDT, with athletic abiliity and upside, are also locks.

That leaves one spot for the rest of the garbage to cover.
And I don't see a backup tackle anywhere in that group, and Sherrod is worse than Fanaika (not to mention more injury-prone).

That's a huge misstep on Dorsey's part.

Iowanian
08-01-2015, 09:26 AM
LDT is the weakest link in my opinion.

He was a project when he was drafted and is a Frenchman who is more serious about being a doctor than an nfl offensive lineman.

milkman
08-01-2015, 09:29 AM
And I don't see a backup tackle anywhere in that group, and Sherrod is worse than Fanaika (not to mention more injury-prone).

That's a huge misstep on Dorsey's part.

Allen is your backup at RT, with Stephenson backing up Fisher.

ThaVirus
08-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Allen is your backup at RT, with Stephenson backing up Fisher.

Who steps in at RG in this scenario?

milkman
08-01-2015, 09:30 AM
LDT is the weakest link in my opinion.

He was a project when he was drafted and is a Frenchman who is more serious about being a doctor than an nfl offensive lineman.

And he might be the most athletic and talented player on the line.

milkman
08-01-2015, 09:31 AM

Morse.

Rausch
08-01-2015, 09:31 AM

I'd prefer Fulton and Allen to battle at RG and Stephenson to start at RT until proven he isn't what he was...

O.city
08-01-2015, 10:09 AM

Based on?

milkman
08-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Based on?

His numbers from his predraft workouts.

Rausch
08-01-2015, 10:22 AM

I'd prefer productive players who don't impress in shorts to combine commandos...

mcaj22
08-01-2015, 10:24 AM
I'd prefer productive players who don't impress in shorts to combine commandos...

yea like Jeff Allen and Paul Fanaika!

Rausch
08-01-2015, 10:24 AM
yea like Jeff Allen and Paul Fanaika!

Like Hudson and Albert...

O.city
08-01-2015, 10:42 AM

He seems to want to be a dr and be an nfl player. That's not gonna happen, so I don't th8nk you can't count on him either way

mcaj22
08-01-2015, 10:45 AM
He seems to want to be a dr and be an nfl player. That's not gonna happen, so I don't th8nk you can't count on him either way

Isn't he at practice like everyone else? Who cares if he wants to spend his spare time being a doctor rather than driving drunk into telephone poles, doing drugs, or driving 144 mph passed three cops like other NFL players do with their spare time. Guess you can't count on them, either.

O.city
08-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Isn't he at practice like everyone else? Who cares if he wants to spend his spare time being a doctor rather than driving drunk into telephone poles, doing drugs, or driving 144 mph passed three cops like other NFL players do with their spare time. Guess you can't count on them, either.

That's pretty faulty thinking.

Spending your spare time being a dr isn't going to fly, based on the amount of continuing ed, etc things that go into keeping yourself sharp as a medical professional.

milkman
08-01-2015, 10:51 AM

Spending your spare time being a dr isn't going to fly, based on the amount of continuing ed, etc things that go into keeping yourself sharp as a medical professional.

Is he in camp today?

O.city
08-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Is he in camp today?

Was he spending the offseason training or being a dr?

O.city
08-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Maybe he can do both though. I find it hard to believe he can be a professional in 2 separate things, but I guess it's pissible

mcaj22
08-01-2015, 10:55 AM

I think he can, he can still get out of a full NFL career in his early to mid 30s like most lineman are doing today and continue his medical field.

Jason Brown retired at 29 to be farmer. Jordan Gross retired at 33. You can absolutely be a good lineman and do it.

milkman
08-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Was he spending the offseason training or being a dr?

Drs never work out?

O.city
08-01-2015, 10:58 AM
I think he can, he can still get out of a full NFL career in his early to mid 30s like most lineman are doing today and continue his medical field.

He's gonna be behind a bit in medicine, but anything is possible

ThaVirus
08-01-2015, 10:58 AM

That would be a great scenario. Very realistic, as well.

The average NFL career is like 3 years or so. Say you're making league minimum that entire time- you leave the league at 26/27 having made over a million dollars.

Now you've got a great leg up on life plus a useful degree. Must be nice.

O.city
08-01-2015, 10:59 AM

Jason Brown retired at 29 to be farmer. Jordan Gross retired at 33. You can absolutely be a good lineman and do it.

Being a farmer is a little different than a dr, no?

O.city
08-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Drs never work out?

Working out and being in functional football shape are 2 different things.

Put it this way, do you want to have your starting right tackle be all about football?

mcaj22
08-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Being a farmer is a little different than a dr, no?

I agree but my point is this, he could become decent during his rookie contract, play out a second contract, retire in his early 30s and go do whatever he wants, if that's be a doctor, a circus clown, a country singer, whatever his heart desires. If it's medicine I don't see how that relates to affecting his current state of playing football.

If he doesn't make the team it because he wasn't good enough but I'm not going to question his commitment to playing football because somebody saw something in him to keep him on the full 53 all of last season. So he must have something to offer/keep evaluating that none of the other crappy guards on this team have.

Iowanian
08-01-2015, 11:07 AM

And I might expell a 2' 14 karat gold turd.

RunKC
08-01-2015, 11:09 AM
For as much as people hated Fulton last year, he actually looked decent in the last 5 games. I would take him over Fanaika.

Fulton isn't a starter, but I feel comfortable with him being a backup. He could do a decent job filling in for a few games if he has to. Good use for a 6th round pick.

O.city
08-01-2015, 11:10 AM
I agree but my point his this could become decent during his rookie contract, play out a second contract, retire in his early 30s and go do whatever he wants, if that's be a doctor, a circus clown, a country singer, whatever his heart desires. If it's medicine I don't see how that relates to affecting his current state of playing football.

If he doesn't make the team it because he wasn't good enough but I'm not going to question his commitment to playing football because somebody saw something in him to keep him on the full 53 all of last season. So he must have something to offer/keep evaluating that none of the other crappy guards on this team have.

It's not like he can just go back and pick up his medical license when he's done. He has to meet certain standards to keep it. I'm not sure that's possible to do while being a full time professional athlete, I've never tried.

I also don't know him personally, but 8 know the amount of commitment it takes to be a dr and keep said license, keep up with current changes etc. That, paired with being a professional football player is gonna be, well, pretty difficult

milkman
08-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Working out and being in functional football shape are 2 different things.

Put it this way, do you want to have your starting right tackle be all about football?

At the end of the day, I don't give a rat's ass how much time a player dedicates to his craft if he performs.

LDT needs to work on the technical aspects of playing his position, and not spending time at an O-Line school probably slows his development.

But I am not going to complain that he doesn't dedicate every waking minute to my entertainment needs when he is actually dedicating his time to something far more valuable to the community.

Rausch
08-01-2015, 11:17 AM
For as much as people hated Fulton last year, he actually looked decent in the last 5 games. I would take him over Fanaika.

Fulton was an absolute bleeding on the floor abortion in pass coverage last year only covered up by the exploding fetus that was McGroan.

Fulton, at times, run blocking looked like he might be the real deal. At times he was even impressive.

Moving forward he's a beast and moving backwards he's got lead boots.

Fulton isn't a starter, but I feel comfortable with him being a backup. He could do a decent job filling in for a few games if he has to. Good use for a 6th round pick.

Exactly. He's solid depth, we should definitely keep and develop him.

Even at that level he's better than fucking Fanaika...

milkman
08-01-2015, 11:18 AM
And I might expell a 2' 14 karat gold turd.

You are as fucking stupid with these stupid fucking analogies as SNR.

Fucking useless moronic shitholes.

Rausch
08-01-2015, 11:19 AM
At the end of the day, I don't give a rat's ass how much time a player dedicates to his crafty if he performs.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-GQRKiY2wV_H0PMKfj6ikGHhWRhxrPivUao2NAKwTgWH9YDpvg2WdyHLJ

The Franchise
08-01-2015, 11:20 AM

Mauga only had to do that because DJ was out.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-01-2015, 11:21 AM

LMAO

RealSNR
08-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Maybe he can do both though. I find it hard to believe he can be a professional in 2 separate things, but I guess it's pissible

Ah, so he's studying to be a urologist!

Rausch
08-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Ah, so he's studying to be a urologist!

Kush should be doing this...

RealSNR
08-01-2015, 11:45 AM

You seem upset