PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Preseason Offense Discussion. Megathreads suck.

Iowanian
08-06-2015, 02:49 PM
A long time ago on a website with the same name, discussions about the team, position battles and theory used to take place.

In this thread, we will travel back in time to 2003 and attempt to actually do that. For most, it will be like a trip to a football zoo as they stand in amazement, licking the glass on the gorilla cage window.

In this thread, we will specifically discuss offensive battles and positions. Feel free to join in lurkers and old timers. Window lickers please hang out in the threads and talk about not getting laid or whatever you do.

Iowanian
08-06-2015, 02:56 PM
I'll attempt to get things started with offensive line.

John Tait, I mean...Eric Fisher is entering year 3. I've waited patiently on his development but am in the crowd believing this is the year he has to make giant leaps forward or become a replacement candidate for 2016.

No more excuses about small school competition, no offseason surgery. He has had an entire offseason to become "grown man strong" if it's possible for him and has enough experience to know what to expect. Last year being stuck next to McTurd didn't help but that is no longer an excuse.

Ben Grubs is a grown ass man and is dependable at the Guard. He should be a strength for Fisher's play as a seasoned vet who plays at a high level isn't going to hang him out to dry. Grubs also should be a big help for an unproven center.

Hammock Parties
08-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Don't insult John Tait.

Mr. Laz
08-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Pretty simple for me ... the passing game.

Oline - How good are they? Do they know who to block? Can the pick up the blitz?
WR - mostly the young guys ... how good are Wilson and Conley?
QB - Aggressive without crapping his pants.

BigMeatballDave
08-06-2015, 03:40 PM
How many posts before this becomes an AS bash thread?

Mr. Laz
08-06-2015, 03:41 PM
How many posts before this becomes an AS bash thread?i'm shocked it's made it this far.

KCUnited
08-06-2015, 03:44 PM
That deleted post right under the OP.

Buehler445
08-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Right with you on Fisher. It's time for him to quit being a fuckstick and kick asses. Hell if he'd just become dependable I probably wouldn't bitch.

Hopefully DAT excels at WR. They played an interview with him on the radio and it is very possible the kid doesn't have the brainpower to learn the position. Now I understand that if you stuck a mic in my face and asked me random questions, it may not be an accurate representation of my Intelligence Quotient, but it's still puzzling that they started him at RB last year. Surely they weren't thinking that he'd ACTUALLY be a RB did they?

A big one on my radar is JC. His youthful years are behind him (fuck the Chiefs for wasting a big portion of his career), but hopefully he doesn't fall off the cliff any time soon. But numerically he might.

WeathermanKumke
08-06-2015, 03:52 PM
I'm curious to see how Jeremy Maclin will do blocking on run plays for Jamaal or even on quick screens to De'Anthony Thomas.

Chief Roundup
08-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Don't insult John Tait.

John Taint is his CP name.

eDave
08-06-2015, 03:54 PM
How many posts before this becomes an AS bash thread?

I came right out of the gate with it as first post. But that would be dickish.

Iowanian
08-06-2015, 04:15 PM
I was encouraged to hear kelsie is taking steps and being challenged to hold onto the ball in camp. His ball security or lack there of drove me crazy last season. That said I am really excited to see what he does with another year of strength training and away from the knee repair.

Outside of kelsie I am concerned. We keep being told what an animal Harris is going to be but honestly I have t really even seen a spark let alone flash on the field. Of course he isn't health again, he is a less talented tony moeaki so far. O'luckycharms might be a contributor but we haven't seen it yet. This concerns me due to the volume of 2TE sets Reid uses, as well as the ability to help the OT if they struggle this year.

KCUnited
08-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Kelce, Kelcie or Kelsie?

Iowanian
08-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Kelce, Kelcie or Kelsie?

The douchavator is over there. Here is a ticket, no...keep your money, this one is on me sir.

Chromatic
08-06-2015, 04:26 PM
whats a douchavator?

KCUnited
08-06-2015, 04:28 PM
The douchavator is over there. Here is a ticket, no...keep your money, this one is on me sir.

Ok ok, at least let me leave you a program on my way out.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/roster.html

ThaVirus
08-06-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm curious to see how Jeremy Maclin will do blocking on run plays for Jamaal or even on quick screens to De'Anthony Thomas.

As am I.

I think that's the facet in which we'll miss Bowe. I'm sure there were more than a handful of big gains sprung/lengthened by great blocks from Bowe.

Iowanian
08-06-2015, 04:30 PM
That's at least a contribution. I will try to modify the iPad spell ch ck to alleviate any further feminine itch.

Chromatic
08-06-2015, 04:32 PM
That's at least a contribution. I will try to modify the iPad spell ch ck to alleviate any further feminine itch.

http://i.imgur.com/DlfoL2W.gif

ThaVirus
08-06-2015, 04:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DlfoL2W.gif

Friggin' A. That may be the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Chief Roundup
08-06-2015, 04:51 PM
There are lots of positions and or players that are of interest.
C-RT is really going to determine how good our OL can be this season. I hope that Stephenson is back to his old form. It would be nice to have a good RT and not have to hear about how we are going to spend a mid upper 1st rounder on a RT or RG. Speaking of RG it would be really nice to see a rookie OL, Morse, show up immediately and take the RG spot.
QB is always of interest. I have been hearing from a few people that go to camp that Murray has looked fairly bad, which means it is unlikely that we will part with Daniel now or possibly even next off-season.

beach tribe
08-06-2015, 04:53 PM
I wish Fisher looked like John Tait.

Mr. Laz
08-06-2015, 04:58 PM
I wish Fisher looked like John Tait.

I wish you posted like Htismaqe.

Coochie liquor
08-06-2015, 05:41 PM

Yeah, where'd that guy go? A little prison time, or mental institution?

jjchieffan
08-06-2015, 06:37 PM
I'm excited to see this team play. I really think that Maclin is going to be fun to watch. I'm also cautiously optimistic about the supposed 3rd year in a system leap for him. I'll believe it when I see it. But I want so much to see him put up Trent Green numbers that I'm drinking the koolaid and hoping for great things. If and I know that's a big if. If Alex can do that with the defense we had last year, this team could really be something special.

KCTitus
08-06-2015, 06:38 PM
If there's anything I'd like to see is during the preseason to see some semblance of offense. I dont know how many years of preseason football KC has looked like they didnt know if they were shot, fucked, powder burnt or snake bit.

Move the damn ball...execute a few plays. Make the dress rehearsal look like a dress rehearsal and not a listless and confused mess.

I hope Maclin makes us forget about Bowe and KC shows the ability to be dynamic on offense

Easy 6
08-06-2015, 06:44 PM
CATAPANO AS REDZONE TIGHT END.

You're welcome.

Iowanian
08-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Frankie Hammond still thinks he can plan.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article30337485.html

BY BLAIR KERKHOFF

ST. JOSEPH
One of the biggest surprises of camp was the development of wide receiver Frankie Hammond Jr.

So read the story from a Florida newspaper in August 2008.

Hammond had arrived at the University of Florida as part of the Gators’ recruiting class after the 2007 national championship without great fanfare, not unlike his debut with the Chiefs as an undrafted free agent three years ago.

Now, like his early Florida days, Hammond is impressing his way through training camp. During the first week of full-squad workouts, with all eyes on newcomer Jeremy Maclin, Hammond garnered attention by diverting receptions away from the Chiefs’ big offseason acquisition.

In one series, Hammond dove for a ball near the sideline that appeared to be destined for a Derrick Johnson interception. But the pass sailed through Johnson’s arms into Hammond’s chest.

A few plays later, on a quick hit, the ball slammed off Hammond’s elbow and ricocheted into the air. Hammond, surrounded by three defenders, momentarily lost sight of the ball only to find it at the last second. He made the reception while falling to the ground.

“I should have gotten my head turned around a little quicker on that one,” Hammond said. “Thankfully, I was able to find it.”

These catches occurred a day after the Chiefs were forced by storms to practice indoors, and Hammond came up with a pair of leaping snags.

He’s seemingly in the right place at the right time and catching everything thrown his way.

“He’s going after the ball,” said backup quarterback Chase Daniel, who has made Hammond something of a favorite target. “He’s a physical receiver. He may not be the biggest guy in the world, but he can get in there and throw the shoulder around. His concentration is excellent.”

The Chiefs have 14 wide receivers in training camp after signing Mizzou product L’Damian Washington earlier this week. Two, Junior Hemingway and Chris Conley, have missed time with injuries. Speedster De’Anthony Thomas has moved to the outside. Second-year pro Albert Wilson and 10-year veteran Jason Avant look like locks. The competition will be strong.

It was a good time for Hammond to have a highlight-reel week, which included a special-teams play when he caught a ball two yards from the goal line on punt coverage.

“I’m just trying to make plays,” Hammond said. “Improve, bust my tail and build off last year.”

In 2014, Hammond appeared in all 16 games, started three and caught four passes. He returned 15 punts for a team-leading 13.3-yard average.

A year earlier, he wasn’t part of the 53-man roster. But after going unclaimed through waivers, he was signed to the Chiefs practice squad.

This, too, mirrors his college route. With the Gators, Hammond redshirted as a freshman. He earned a scholarship with his athleticism after winning a gold medal at the 2007 AAU Junior Olympics in the high jump, where he soared 6 feet, 10 inches.

He got on the field in his second year but lost his scholarship following a DUI arrest, paying his own way through school as a walk-on. He re-dedicated himself, returned to the program’s good graces and won back his scholarship the following season. Hammond finished his college career with 63 receptions and six touchdowns, including a 75-yard game-breaker against Tennessee as a senior.

Now, Hammond looks to keep his spot on a Chiefs team that must get more production from its wide receivers, the group that didn’t catch a touchdown pass last season.

He didn’t hurt his chances with a solid first week of camp.

“I’m just trying to develop the trust of the coaches, so they know they can put me at any spot,” Hammond said. “I want them to be confident in me to get the job done.”

Hydrae
08-06-2015, 07:08 PM
There are lots of positions and or players that are of interest.
C-RT is really going to determine how good our OL can be this season. I hope that Stephenson is back to his old form. It would be nice to have a good RT and not have to hear about how we are going to spend a mid upper 1st rounder on a RT or RG. Speaking of RG it would be really nice to see a rookie OL, Morse, show up immediately and take the RG spot.
QB is always of interest. I have been hearing from a few people that go to camp that Murray has looked fairly bad, which means it is unlikely that we will part with Daniel now or possibly even next off-season.

I agree, a lot of the fortunes of the team this year rests on the right side of the O-Line. Grubbs will be fine and Fisher is on a make or break year. I think the coaching staff hopes Kush will be fine but hedged that bet with the Morse pick. Not the strongest vote of confidence but at the same time Dorsey doubled down on being able to use Morse at RG is Kush does well at C.

Then the question that is RT.

Saccopoo
08-06-2015, 07:14 PM
I'll attempt to get things started with offensive line.

John Tait, I mean...Eric Fisher is entering year 3. I've waited patiently on his development but am in the crowd believing this is the year he has to make giant leaps forward or become a replacement candidate for 2016.

No more excuses about small school competition, no offseason surgery. He has had an entire offseason to become "grown man strong" if it's possible for him and has enough experience to know what to expect. Last year being stuck next to McTurd didn't help but that is no longer an excuse.

Ben Grubs is a grown ass man and is dependable at the Guard. He should be a strength for Fisher's play as a seasoned vet who plays at a high level isn't going to hang him out to dry. Grubs also should be a big help for an unproven center.

John Tait was the best RT in football. I remember his blocking three dudes at once and just kicking their ass. (It was the first season he was with the Bears.) Our offensive line was in a constant state of digression once Tait left.

You hope to the almighty sweet baby jesus that Fisher achieves Tait performance levels in his lifetime/career with the Chiefs.

Iowanian
08-06-2015, 07:26 PM
I didn't hate john tait but he was a mediocre left tackle in Kansas City.

tiptap
08-06-2015, 08:58 PM
I am glad we are pointing to 2003 in this thread. After all Reid's schemes are from the same philosophy as Vermeil. So the telling game for that season was the Pittsburg game. Trent was still wearing the "trint" label. Yet that missed long throw deep in our own territory after being flustered early saw a team walk back to the huddle that just knew they were ready to play going forward. Trent, the previous year, threw the ball and because the team wasn't comfortable with Coryell play it led to interceptions. But than overthrow showed that there was enough talent and knowledge of what was the philosophy of play, that the Chiefs could swagger on the offense.

Smith didn't throw the ball for interceptions in doing Coryell, instead he ate the ball, because we did have a defense as oppose to the 2003 model? The question is can this team find that ahah moment early enough on the offense so that Smith is willing to expect players to be on the end of those throws that are expectations in Coryell offenses. It certainly helped to have the best offensive line in football in 2004 and as we all are saying this line has got to see improvement to allow for that transition in confidences all around.

beach tribe
08-06-2015, 09:12 PM

Me too. Where is that dude?

Hammock Parties
08-06-2015, 10:11 PM
I am glad we are pointing to 2003 in this thread. After all Reid's schemes are from the same philosophy as Vermeil. So the telling game for that season was the Pittsburg game. Trent was still wearing the "trint" label. Yet that missed long throw deep in our own territory after being flustered early saw a team walk back to the huddle that just knew they were ready to play going forward. Trent, the previous year, threw the ball and because the team wasn't comfortable with Coryell play it led to interceptions. But than overthrow showed that there was enough talent and knowledge of what was the philosophy of play, that the Chiefs could swagger on the offense.

Smith didn't throw the ball for interceptions in doing Coryell, instead he ate the ball, because we did have a defense as oppose to the 2003 model? The question is can this team find that ahah moment early enough on the offense so that Smith is willing to expect players to be on the end of those throws that are expectations in Coryell offenses. It certainly helped to have the best offensive line in football in 2004 and as we all are saying this line has got to see improvement to allow for that transition in confidences all around.

You fucking idiot. We don't run anything close to the Vermeil offense anymore.

Mr. Laz
08-07-2015, 07:25 AM
dammit,dammit,dammit

Rookie WR Chris Conley (knee) looking like he won't practice today for the #Chiefs.

Iowanian
08-07-2015, 08:11 AM
If you'd like to participate in discussion, your thoughts are welcome. If you're going to act like a doucebag, please do it in any of the other 1000 options.

Maybe the board would be better served if you actually defended this opinion difference.

You ****ing idiot. We don't run anything close to the Vermeil offense anymore.

wazu
08-07-2015, 08:28 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eric. Fisher. <a href="http://t.co/dYfBav3Z8B">pic.twitter.com/dYfBav3Z8B</a></p>&mdash; BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefsReporter/status/629657190811303936">August 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Iowanian
08-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Haven't heard much about DAT this year.

http://www.chiefsdigest.com/chiefs-deanthony-thomas-comfortable-at-wide-receiver/

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. – The Chiefs no longer designate second-year pro De’Anthony Thomas as a running back/wide receiver on the roster, making his transformation to the latter complete.

Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver De'Anthony Thomas (13) catches a pass during NFL football training camp Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2015, in St. Joseph, Mo. (AP Photo/Charlie

The first hint of the move arrived during organized team activities when Thomas worked exclusively with the wide receivers after working with running backs in 2014.

And the experiences of working at both skill positions has an advantage.

“I learned the running back stuff last year, now I’m learning the receiver stuff also,” Thomas said. “It’s just all about learning the whole offense, and I feel like the more valuable I can be to the team, the more time I can be on the field.”

The Chiefs will look for ways to get the explosive and elusive 5-8, 176-pound Thomas in open space. And the team has offered a preview through five training camp practices by lining him in the slot or split wide in three-receiver sets with the first-team offense.

Thomas, who clocked a 4.34 40-yard dash at his Pro Day workout last year, should prove a nightmare matchup for opposing cornerbacks regardless where he lines up.

And that scenario caused excitement for Thomas when asked how big his eyes become when looking across the line of scrimmage to see a taller defender lining up against him.

“Real big,” Thomas said with a grin. “Just making that one move to open his hips up, and that’s the only thing I need, and then next is attacking him. After that, just letting ability take over.”

Thomas has the natural athletic ability, but it also helps to have veteran wide receiver Jason Avant in his ear after every play.

“We always go back to see how we can get better, just being patient,” Thomas said. “He’s always telling me to be patient. I don’t have to run fast every single time, just learn what speed I have to use on different routes.”

FISHER FULLY HEALTHY

The biggest difference for left tackle Eric Fisher this year in training camp compared to 2014 surrounds his health.

Fisher wasn’t 100 percent after undergoing offseason shoulder surgery, but had the benefit of full offseason training where he incorporated boxing into his workouts.

The third-year pro is also stronger.

“I came in here – I’m healthy, I’m strong and I’m confident,” Fisher said. “I’m just coming out here to work every day. We all got the same goal this year, and we’re working for a Super Bowl.”

Fisher’s progress and development as the protector of quarterback Alex Smith’s blindside hasn’t gone unnoticed by coach Andy Reid.

“He looks good,” Reid said. “He had good offseason of lifting, which was very important. He didn’t have a surgery involved with it, so he came back in great shape and it has paid off for him for the few days of life out here.”

Chief Roundup
08-07-2015, 09:20 AM

Reid and Vermeil run opposite offensive schemes. Reid runs the WCO, West Coast Offense, which is about short passes, running the ball to set up the occasional deep pass. Vermeil ran the Air Coryell offense, which is all about stretching the defense and continually testing the defense down the field to set up the run for big plays.

Mr. Laz
08-07-2015, 09:26 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eric. Fisher. <a href="http://t.co/dYfBav3Z8B">pic.twitter.com/dYfBav3Z8B</a></p>&mdash; BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefsReporter/status/629657190811303936">August 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fisher's run blocking is fine, it's pass blocking that's an issue

Mr. Flopnuts
08-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Good for you for making this thread. I'll participate, Sans douchery.

The Franchise
08-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Says that he hates Megathreads.

Creates Megathread for Preseason Offense discussion.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-07-2015, 11:36 AM

ROFL didn't think of that.

Bowser
08-07-2015, 11:44 AM
TL;DR

This offense will go as far as Alex takes them, and Alex will only be as good as the offensive line is.

DaFace
08-07-2015, 11:46 AM

Really, I think the biggest issue around here lately is that no one wants to post individual threads because the Q police will obnoxiously bash anything that's been remotely talked about in any obscure thread.

We need to go back to the days where 3-4 news articles are posted every day (as their own threads) for discussion.

Mr. Laz
08-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Really, I think the biggest issue around here lately is that no one wants to post individual threads because the Q police will obnoxiously bash anything that's been remotely talked about in any obscure thread.

We need to go back to the days where 3-4 news articles are posted every day (as their own threads) for discussion.
Yep, apparently some people find mega thread a mandatory thing though.

not sure why

The Franchise
08-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Yep, apparently some people find mega thread a mandatory thing though.

not sure why

Some people like mega threads. Some people like new threads every time. I'm fine with both.

Hydrae
08-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Some people like mega threads. Some people like new threads every time. I'm fine with both.

You mean we can have options??? :eek:

KCUnited
08-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Maybe a mega thread discussion mega thread would help.

Lzen
08-07-2015, 12:44 PM

Yes!

As for the offense, obviously the offensive line is the main key to success. I think they will show much improvement this year. Hell, just getting rid of McGlynn was a big improvement. And to a lesser extent the WRs are a key but there are question marks. Maclin looks to be the real deal and probably an improvement over Bowe. The rest are question marks, but I'm expecting good things from Wilson and DAT. Plus, Kelce is another year experienced and that should help. His biggest problem was keeping the ball until the whistle. Hopefully, the coaches worked on that with him by throwing wrenches ala the Dodgeball movie ever time he dropped one prior to the whistle.

Iowanian
08-08-2015, 02:56 PM
I've got hiiiiigh hopes....I've got hiiiiigh hopes

http://www.chiefsdigest.com/chris-conleys-smarts-should-help-compensate-lost-time-at-chiefs-camp/

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. – The sight of Chiefs rookie wide receiver Chris Conley wearing a baseball cap working with trainers on the sidelines has become routine at training camp.

The 6-3, 205-pound Conley, the first of two third-round picks, hasn’t been on the field since suffering a knee injury on July 29.

He has now missed eight total days of practice, which includes six straight days of full-team workouts and two days of rookie and quarterback workouts.

The lost time could be cause for concern, especially for a rookie in coach Andy Reid’s version of the West Coast offense, which is regarded as complex.

That anxiety, however, may not apply to the 2014 SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

“Working with Chris Conley, he’s a very smart individual, he’s a very smart football player,” offensive coordinator Doug Pederson said Friday. “He really knows our system well already. He’s getting mental reps – I challenged him here and there – just talking to him on the sideline.”

Quarterback Alex Smith agreed with Pederson on Conley’s intelligence, but he raised a legitimate point.

“It’s one thing to be able to know what you’re doing standing on the sidelines or know what you’re doing in the film room,” Smith said. “It’s another thing stepping in the huddle, walking up and knowing the different kinds of leverages, all the looks, all those little things, releases. There’s a lot that goes in out there. Those guys have to know the intricacies of running the route that’s not just a line on the paper, so to speak.”

The Chiefs don’t allow injured player to talk to the media.

But Conley spoke to reporters when rookies reported to camp on July 28, and indicated a comfort level in the playbook and offense

“I feel really good right now,” Conley said then. “The beautiful thing about camp is that it’s another install. When you go through OTAs, when you go through rookie minicamp, you install twice, sometimes three times. For camp, for many of us, it’s going to be our third or fourth install. Going into this install, it’s about reinforcing those ideas, reinforcing those concepts and going out there and playing better.”

An injury can arguably stall on-field progress despite mental repetitions when considering a player can’t apply what has been taught.

The Chiefs, however, have other bodies of work to consider outside of Conley’s ability to absorb information.

Conley said on July 28 he worked out with former Georgia teammate and current Chiefs quarterback Aaron Murray during the month-long break between mandatory minicamp and training camp.

That training, which consisted of catching passes from Murray and running the routes expected of him in the offense, offered an advantage to staying on top of understanding the scheme.

“Just constant reinforcement of this offense,” Conley said then. “Much like in days past when we were at Georgia, we can constantly work on the playbook, we can constantly work on the routes that are going to be run here. I can constantly tweak the little things. And that is what is so important in this league, that’s what makes this team different – the little things.”

Conley looked good during OTAs and mandatory minicamp, running fluid routes and making catches in traffic while working out in shorts and helmet.

He and Smith also appeared on the same page with timing, and optimism for building on that rapport remains intact.

“I feel like he got great work in the OTAs,” Smith said. “I thought he really did a lot of good things. It’s a matter of just getting him back out and getting going, and rebuilding off that. For a lot of guys, it is scheme-by-scheme, play-by-play deal. Some things make sense to guys and they’re easier to read than others. It’s a matter of working through all that.”

In the meantime, it remains unclear how long it will take for Conley to eventually join teammates on the practice field.

But the Chiefs aren’t in a hurry to get the rookie wideout on the field unitl he is ready.

“Obviously, you can’t take away the live rep of a play and that just goes without saying,” Pederson said. “We’re not going to rush him. Our medical team is going to make sure he’s 100 percent before we put him back out on the field.”

Iowanian
08-09-2015, 04:40 PM
http://www.chiefsdigest.com/notebook-chiefs-rookie-james-oshaugnessy-making-most-of-opportunity/

Notebook: Chiefs rookie James O’Shaugnessy making most of opportunity
Posted in Camp Notebook, Featured By Herbie Teope+ On August 8, 2015 Print article

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. – Chiefs rookie tight end James O’Shaughnessy is currently second on the depth chart behind starter Travis Kelce.

Quite a jump for a player from Illinois State, but O’Shaughnessy had plenty of mentorship along the way since arriving in May as a fifth-round pick.

Aug. 3, 2015; St. Joseph, MO: Chiefs tight end James O'Shaughnessy catches a pass during training camp drills. (Emily DeShazer/The Topeka Capital-Journal)
Aug. 3, 2015; St. Joseph, MO: Chiefs tight end James O’Shaughnessy catches a pass during training camp drills. (Emily DeShazer/The Topeka Capital-Journal)

“The whole tight end group helped me out,” O’Shaughnessy said Saturday, “especially Kelce and (tight ends) Coach (Tom) Melvin, our OC (Doug Pederson) and Coach (Andy) Reid.

“It’s kind of been a collective help from everybody. I’ve been very fortunate with that aspect that they all have been willing to help me through my growing pains and help me work through whatever I need to get done.”

The 6-4, 245-pound O’Shaughnessy has split time with the starting unit in two-tight end sets and backup offenses through training camp.

And he has made the most of his opportunities and carried over momentum from organized team activities and mandatory minicamp to catch the coaching staff’s eyes.

“He’s working hard on his fundamentals,” Reid said. “He’s not the biggest guy, so he has to be technique-sound. So for the four (padded) practices, he’s worked on that. Every day he improves, which is kind of a neat thing to see, he’s from a smaller school. For him to handle what we’re asking him to handle, he’s doing a heck of a job.”

Reid said O’Shaughnessy has made improvements as a receiver and a blocker, with the latter showing the most gains.

“We know he’s a pretty good catcher,” Reid said. “Blocking is where he needed the most improvement and he’s been doing well with that.”

The Chiefs will continue to give O’Shaughnessy repetitions with tight ends Demetrius Harris (foot) on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list and Ryan Taylor dealing with a quad injury.

But while Reid likes what he sees so far in the rookie, O’Shaughnessy knows there is plenty of room to continue growing before the regular season.

“We’re only a week into training camp, a little bit over,” he said. “Every new thing that we put in is new for me, so I just have to keep accepting the coaching, and accepting the learning curve and try and make as many plays as possible.”

ALLEN FOCUSED ON NOW

Right guard Jeff Allen has the edge in the battle for the starting right guard spot, and he arguably has extra incentive to nail it down.

Allen, who currently sits atop the depth chart, enters the final year of his contract, but he doesn’t want to dwell on that situation.

“I’m not really worried about my contract,” Allen said.

Instead, he and the Chiefs have other immediate goals, and it’s the best goal for an NFL player.

“Me personally and the other four guys,” Allen said, “we all have to play our best to give us the best shot to reach our goal, and that goal – I’m sure the same goal for everybody in the NFL – is to win the Super Bowl. But we have a strong belief here we have a shot. We’re going to go out there and attack it.”

ATTENDANCE IN FORCE

The rain that pushed the start of practice back at hour didn’t affect attendance at Family Fun Day.

More than 6,000 people were present for Saturday’s practice, according to a Chiefs spokesman.

“It was good to get out here with the fans,” coach Andy Reid said, “we appreciate all their support. I was told that it was the second-largest (non-stadium) crowd they’ve had here, so that’s a positive thing. The players feed off of that, especially during a tough practice like this one.”

The largest crowd to attend a Chiefs training camp practice at Missouri Western State University came in 2010 when more than 10,000 attended a night practice at Spratt Stadium.

OBSERVATIONS

• Second-year cornerback Phillip Gaines showed off impressive athletic leaping skills by climbing the ladder for an interception off of quarterback Alex Smith during 7-on-7 drills.

• Defensive end Allen Bailey got the best of left guard Ben Grubbs during one-on-one drills. Bailey did a bull rush, got underneath Grubbs and drove him back before planting Grubbs flat on his back. Defensive end Mike Catapano also looks very impressive the drills, consistently getting into the pocket using bull rushes or speed to get past blockers.

• The Chiefs had a first on the offensive line through training camp by giving rookie Mitch Morse a go at center over Eric Kush and Zach Fulton moving in to right guard. Jeff Allen shifted to right tackle from right guard in place of Donald Stephenson, who ran with the second team at left tackle. Kush was the center with the second unit.

• Wide receiver Jeremy Maclin made a leaping grab at the back of the end zone on a pass from quarterback Alex Smith during 11-on-11 red zone drills. Maclin showed the ball with one hand after getting both feet down before his momentum took out of bounds.

———-

Iowanian
08-10-2015, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure how to embed a tweet....

Today, Terez Paylor tweeted
"Reid says the OL combo of Fish, Grubbs, Morse, Fulton and Allen seems to be working right now."

This is an interesting twist. I'm not surprised to see the change of Allen to RT and that someone else is at RG, but I am surprised to see Morse over Purple Kush.

Mr. Laz
08-10-2015, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure how to embed a tweet....

Today, Terez Paylor tweeted
"Reid says the OL combo of Fish, Grubbs, Morse, Fulton and Allen seems to be working right now."

This is an interesting twist. I'm not surprised to see the change of Allen to RT and that someone else is at RG, but I am surprised to see Morse over Purple Kush.
:hmmm:

I would shocked if Allen turned out to be a good RT.

btw Iowanian, don't look now but your thread is turning into a megathread. Just sayin'