PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Kelce: Top 5 Tight End?

DaFace
08-07-2015, 12:14 PM
More Chiefs news!

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/12834/travis-kelce-ranked-as-nfls-4th-best-all-around-tight-end

Travis Kelce ranked as NFL's 4th-best all-around tight end
Adam Teicher, ESPN Staff Writer

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. -- For those with ESPN Insider access, Pro Football Focus has ranked the NFL’s most complete tight ends Insider.

Travis Kelce of the Kansas City Chiefs ranked fourth behind Rob Gronkowski of the New England Patriots, Jason Witten of the Dallas Cowboys and Martellus Bennett of the Chicago Bears.

That’s not a bad landing spot for Kelce. PFF made note of his 503 yards after the catch, the third-highest total for a tight end since 2007.

An argument could be made that Kelce should be ahead of Witten based on their respective 2014 seasons. Kelce had three more catches (67 to 64), 159 more yards (862 to 703) and the same amount of touchdowns (5). Witten, though, has been the better blocker.

In any case, it should be only a matter of time before the 25-year-old Kelce climbs higher in the rankings. Gronkowski is only 26, so he should be playing for several more seasons.

But Bennett, who caught 90 passes last season, had by far his best NFL season, and he’s 28. Witten is 33.

The Franchise
08-07-2015, 12:15 PM
I'd put him over Bennett.

notorious
08-07-2015, 12:16 PM
If he stays healthy he should hold his own against Gronk.

Lzen
08-07-2015, 12:20 PM

And Gronk has a hard time staying healthy.

Hootie
08-07-2015, 12:22 PM

I'm not ready to go THAT far ... but I'll be honest, what I saw from him last year was amazing. He was impossible to tackle 1 on 1, he is great in the open field ... BUT ... needs to hang on to the ball. From what I saw last year, though ... hell of a 3rd rounder.

RunKC
08-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Kelce had more YAC than Gronk has in every season but 1 (2011), and he didn't play as much as he should have last season. That's insane.

He's reportedly bulked up to the 260's to work on his blocking this season.

32% of our offense last year was to the TE. I bet that goes up to the 40's this season. Kelce is absolutely top 5. I'd put Gronk, Witten and Graham ahead of him. Maybe Gates.

ThaVirus
08-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Travis Kelce=Tony Scheffler

ThaVirus
08-07-2015, 12:46 PM
So according to PFF, Kelce was the best blocking TE in the league last year while catching more passes for more yards and the same number of TDs as Jason Witten....... But Witten is better because he's a better blocker?

ThaVirus
08-07-2015, 12:48 PM
I like to pretend that we took Kelce 1.1, Davis with our first 3rd rounder, and Fisher with our second 3rd rounder.

It helps me cope.

ThaVirus
08-07-2015, 12:52 PM
In all seriousness, the guy is amazing. Very promising. He's big, fast, strong, blocks well, and great after the catch.

If he works on his ball security he could challenge Gronk and Graham.

ThaVirus
08-07-2015, 12:53 PM
I really need to see Alex hit this guy on the run down the seam like Daniel did against the Bengals last preseason.

ThaVirus
08-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Holy hell, I'm dominating this thread right now.

Hootie
08-07-2015, 12:56 PM
I like to pretend that we took Kelce 1.1, Davis with our first 3rd rounder, and Fisher with our second 3rd rounder.

It helps me cope.

that's actually a very rational way to look at it ...

if you look at the 1st round in that draft, on a re-draft, if Kelce turns into Gronk 2.0, he could very easily be the #1 pick in that awful draft

RunKC
08-07-2015, 01:03 PM
that's actually a very rational way to look at it ...

if you look at the 1st round in that draft, on a re-draft, if Kelce turns into Gronk 2.0, he could very easily be the #1 pick in that awful draft

Said this this week. I'd take Kelce over any of the 1st rd players at this point.

Sheldon Richardson's problems play a role. He's damn good but wow he's dumb.

staylor26
08-07-2015, 01:08 PM
First thing I said when I watched Kelce after we drafted him was that I had never seen a TE that could get YAC like him with his size and ability to do everything else you see the great TE's do. He has the potential to be the best TE in the NFL. I think he's already top 3.

Side note: Greg Olsen is pretty underrated and better than some of the other TE's mentioned.

DC.chief
08-07-2015, 01:12 PM
I really need to see Alex hit this guy on the run down the seam like Daniel did against the Bengals last preseason.

That was Murray

MahiMike
08-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Top 5? no. Top 1? Hells yeah!

Chromatic
08-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Here's all of his TDs last year if anyone is interested.

<iframe src="https://vid.me/e/E3Wf" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling="no" height="480" width="854"></iframe>

ThaVirus
08-07-2015, 01:15 PM
That was Murray

Thanks, man. I've been getting everything confused this week. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me.

ThaVirus
08-07-2015, 01:16 PM
That was Murray

Waaaaaaait a minute. It WAS Daniel.

Fuck you, buddy!

Mile High Mania
08-07-2015, 01:19 PM
It's an interesting topic, but overall in the NFL ... they're not flowing with great talent or production at the TE spot quite honestly.

There were 11 TEs top 62 receptions in 2014... 7 surpassed 800 yards. I think there are a lot of good TEs and that's where I'd put Kelce at this point, granted the arrow points up, but he has 1 year on his belt. If they can get some focus on the WRs, it should open things up for him and maybe then he'll be Gronk-like.

Good source for stats here... http://fftoday.com/stats/playerstats.php?Season=2014&GameWeek=&PosID=40&LeagueID=1&order_by=ReYd&sort_order=DESC

DC.chief
08-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Waaaaaaait a minute. It WAS Daniel.

**** you, buddy!

Damn I could of sworn it was Murray but you're right. Too fucking late though you thanked me already

MagicHef
08-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Gronk is only 26?

ThaVirus
08-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Damn I could of sworn it was Murray but you're right. Too fucking late though you thanked me already

Hah. I did. Keep that thanks. Cherish it til the end of your days.

Murray did hit Kelce for a long TD on a seam but it was against the Panthers.

ThaVirus
08-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Gronk is only 26?

That's his physical age.

Mentally he's about 15.

MTG#10
08-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Kelce is absolutely top 5. I'd put Gronk, Witten and Graham ahead of him. Maybe Gates.

:spock:

Kiimo
08-07-2015, 05:13 PM
That's his physical age.

Mentally he's about 15.

Physically he's 37.

Chieficus
08-07-2015, 05:23 PM
You look at what he accomplished in a fairly anemic receiving offense last year while splitting time with Fasano... So long as he can avoid further injury bugs and grow better at the mental aspects, the ceiling is high.

I drafted him in the last round of my FF league last year as my TE, and people I played with were like "who" (they're all from Florida). Steal of that draft. :) don't think he'll be slipping under that radar this year.

ViperVisor
08-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Kelce was targeted on 28% of his pass routes.

but only 87 targets.

What we all know is he was splitting time at TE.

Same pass attempts team, 49ers. Vernon Davis ran 10 more routes per games than Kelce.

At the 28% thrown to rate over a season while getting snaps like Vernon Davis that is 143 targets.

That's a hypothetical ceiling but illustrates the obvious upside to him being the full-time starter.

suzzer99
08-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Here's all of his TDs last year if anyone is interested.

Is there one of these of all his ridiculous hot-dogging fumbles including at least one that cost us the AZ? game?

hometeam
08-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Kelce is a fuckin beast and I called it day 1~

Deberg_1990
08-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Last year was basically Kelces rookie year and tony G didn't have as good of year as Kelces until his 3rd or 4th year in.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-07-2015, 07:36 PM
We will have to budget for Kelcie. He's gonna bring a huge contract.

suzzer99
08-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Last year was basically Kelces rookie year and tony G didn't have as good of year as Kelces until his 3rd or 4th year in.

Kelce also had 2/3 as many fumbles last year as Tony G had in his entire career. And they were in big spots. Mostly trying to make something out of nothing when he already had the first down - while holding the ball like a loaf of bread. He needs to learn to just cover up and go down sometimes.

beach tribe
08-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Kelce had more YAC than Gronk has in every season but 1 (2011), and he didn't play as much as he should have last season. That's insane.

He's reportedly bulked up to the 260's to work on his blocking this season.

32% of our offense last year was to the TE. I bet that goes up to the 40's this season. Kelce is absolutely top 5. I'd put Gronk, Witten and Graham ahead of him. Maybe Gates.

No.

beach tribe
08-07-2015, 08:45 PM
Kelce also had 2/3 as many fumbles last year as Tony G had in his entire career. And they were in big spots. Mostly trying to make something out of nothing when he already had the first down - while holding the ball like a loaf of bread. He needs to learn to just cover up and go down sometimes.

It was mostly all stupid mistakes, too, though.

Easily corrected with a little maturity.

hometeam
08-07-2015, 08:46 PM
You look at what he accomplished in a fairly anemic receiving offense last year while splitting time with Fasano... So long as he can avoid further injury bugs and grow better at the mental aspects, the ceiling is high.

I drafted him in the last round of my FF league last year as my TE, and people I played with were like "who" (they're all from Florida). Steal of that draft. :) don't think he'll be slipping under that radar this year.

Same, got him round 16. Not gonna fly this year.

beach tribe
08-07-2015, 09:15 PM
That's his physical age.

Mentally he's about 15.

Actually his physical age is like 30 considering how beat up he has been in the past.

SeeingRed
08-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Talent wise yes....he has the talent to be a top 3 TE. He could be great

SeeingRed
08-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Kelce is a ****in beast and I called it day 1~

everybody was on here hating on him before last year. When i said he could be an All Pro everybody made jokes and called me funny names.

Chiefs=Champions
08-07-2015, 09:45 PM
People thought he was done after that injury a couple of years ago. Modern medicine!

Demonpenz
08-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Dude needs to act like he has scored a TD before. Holy Shit.,

Chiefs=Champions
08-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Kelce is as good in the open field as any 250 pounder ive ever seen. Between him, Charles, Dat and Maclin this screen and short passing game could be scary.

Chiefs=Champions
08-07-2015, 09:48 PM

The ric flair one was pretty sweet. Woo

Demonpenz
08-07-2015, 09:51 PM
The ric flair one was pretty sweet. Woo

I will give him that. Would like a Brutus the Barber hair cut on Palapalu though

beach tribe
08-07-2015, 09:53 PM

I think his swag is good for this team as long as it's being flaunted when the clock is not running.

ThaVirus
08-07-2015, 09:56 PM
everybody was on here hating on him before last year. When i said he could be an All Pro everybody made jokes and called me funny names.

Because you're a fucking Chiefs fan. Anyone that we draft, you'll see the best in.

Demonpenz
08-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Speaking of swag. Who was that fuck that caught a 10 yard pass on 3rd and 19 and pointed for a first down and flipped the ball. It was in the God Awful years. bills game when TO played for the bills

Demonpenz
08-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Chris Chambers

Psyko Tek
08-07-2015, 09:58 PM
It's an interesting topic, but overall in the NFL ... they're not flowing with great talent or production at the TE spot quite honestly.

There were 11 TEs top 62 receptions in 2014... 7 surpassed 800 yards. I think there are a lot of good TEs and that's where I'd put Kelce at this point, granted the arrow points up, but he has 1 year on his belt. If they can get some focus on the WRs, it should open things up for him and maybe then he'll be Gonzales like

Good source for stats here... http://fftoday.com/stats/playerstats.php?Season=2014&GameWeek=&PosID=40&LeagueID=1&order_by=ReYd&sort_order=DESC

FYP
aspire to be the best

milkman
08-08-2015, 08:44 AM
That's his physical age.

Mentally he's about 15.

Really?

By all accounts, he isn't spending money frivolously, is investing for his future after football, is having fun while not doing anything stupid to get into trouble.

He's a 26 year old rich, famous single man.

Sounds like he's doing it exactly the right way.

I am not a Tony G. fan, but Marty brought him along slowly.
I am not sure that was really necessary.

Tony played in the Martyball offense, as well.

Kelce is faster and more athletic, but as much as I really disliked Tony, there hasn't been anyone that has ever been as reliable.

ThaVirus
08-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Really?

By all accounts, he isn't spending money frivolously, is investing for his future after football, is having fun while not doing anything stupid to get into trouble.

He's a 26 year old rich, famous single man.

Sounds like he's doing it exactly the right way.

I am not a Tony G. fan, but Marty brought him along slowly.

I am not sure that was really necessary.

Tony played in the Martyball offense, as well.

Kelce is faster and more athletic, but as much as I really disliked Tony, there hasn't been anyone that has ever been as reliable.

That was more in reference to his douchey frat boy persona.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Gronk is a douche, but at least he isn't Kap.

okcchief
08-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Probably too far but if he's right under Gronk fantastic!

O.city
08-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Who cares if he's flashy or whatever. They're playing a game. Have fun.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-08-2015, 09:06 AM
He'd be an upgrade in RF for the Cards

O.city
08-08-2015, 09:15 AM
He'd be an upgrade in RF for the Cards

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/762236/carp.gif

Saccopoo
08-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Kelce is as good in the open field as any 250 pounder ive ever seen. Between him, Charles, Dat and Maclin this screen and short passing game could be scary.

The tools are there.

You've got a QB who excels at putting the ball where it needs to be in a timing system. You've got skill position players who have insane yards after the catch potential on every play.

The question mark is the offensive line. It was a turnstile at every position other than center this past season. A half second more on each block, and this offense should be destroying opposing defenses.

I think it ends up being a pretty good line by the time the first official game rolls around. Good enough to give Smith that fraction of time to get his targets into position and then watch out.

SeeingRed
08-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Because you're a ****ing Chiefs fan. Anyone that we draft, you'll see the best in.

nope...because i saw him play at Cinci on tv and thought he would be a good NFL TE one day then, heard good things about him and his ability from people i knew on the team (Chiefs) (despite missing his rookie year with a serious injury with a long rehab)...and because when I met and hung out with him he said to bet on him and I just had a feeling that he could be good. I knew the 4th pick that year Johnson would bust, knew Fisher would have growing pains. Was high on Kelce, Davis and Catapano from day 1. Heard good things initially about Kush as well. Not much else on other guys from that class.