PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Conley returns to Chiefs practice

Mr. Laz
08-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Chris Conley returns to Chiefs practice, but for how long?
7m
Adam Teicher, ESPN Staff Writer

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. -- Rookie wide receiver Chris Conley made his long-awaited return to the Kansas City Chiefs' training camp practice field on Monday but it's not certain if he will practice again on Tuesday.

Conley had yet to practice in St. Joseph, Missouri, after straining his knee during a rookie practice prior to the start of camp.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0727%2Fnfl_a_chrisconley_ms_1_r1584_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=570
The Chiefs are easing Chris Conley into training camp as the
third-round pick is recovering from a strained knee. AP Photo/Charlie Riedel

"This was just a test to see where he's at," coach Andy Reid said. "We'll see where the pain is, if there's any, when he's done. We tried to monitor him today. We'll see. If it flares up again, we'll sit him down. If not, he'll be able to go. We're going to be smart with it."

Reid wouldn't commit to Conley being available for the Chiefs' first preseason game on Saturday night at the Arizona Cardinals.

"We're literally taking it day by day to see how he's doing," Reid said.

But while he was on the field Monday, the Chiefs took the opportunity to get him some snaps with quarterback Alex Smith and the other starters.

The Chiefs were impressed with Conley, a third-round draft pick from Georgia, during the offseason. They remain hopeful Conley can help energize a passing game that earned few big plays last season.

Smed1065
08-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Good news.

-King-
08-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Let's get the fastest offense in the league going.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bob Dole
08-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Let's get the fastest offense in the league going.
Posted via Mobile Device

That worked so well for the Raiders.

Strongside
08-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Good. Expecting big things from this kid if he's healthy.

Hammock Parties
08-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Are we sure that's not Charles in a different jersey?

Deberg_1990
08-10-2015, 04:05 PM

32 catches 388 yards

Mr. Inmem
08-10-2015, 04:08 PM
32 catches 388 yards

This actually looks pretty damn good lol. I'll say 38 catches 429 yards 3 TDs

Mr. Inmem
08-10-2015, 04:10 PM

Never expect "big" things from a 3rd round rookie WR lol. That's foolish and you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Discuss Thrower
08-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Never expect "big" things from a 3rd round rookie WR lol. That's foolish and you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm sure there will be someone who was all-district in football as a high schooler will be along shortly to call you a fucking moron or something.

O.city
08-10-2015, 04:19 PM
I'm sure there will be someone who was all-district in football as a high schooler will be along shortly to call you a ****ing moron or something.

Did said someone run a 4.3?

CoMoChief
08-10-2015, 04:22 PM
That worked so well for the Raiders.

Raiders had fast players...they just couldnt play nfl football.

These guys can play football...obviously the jury is still out on Conley..but charles maclin dat kelce are all fast for their positions.

God help our oline though.

Discuss Thrower
08-10-2015, 04:23 PM
Did said someone run a 4.3?

I don't know, but I guess running fast means someone's football takes are gospel.

O.city
08-10-2015, 04:24 PM
I don't know, but I guess running fast means someone's football takes are gospel.

I assumed you were referring to the training camp debacle from last week, no?

Discuss Thrower
08-10-2015, 04:26 PM
I assumed you were referring to the training camp debacle from last week, no?

I guess I am.

O.city
08-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Eh, carry on then

thabear04
08-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Raiders had fast players...they just couldnt play nfl football.

These guys can play football...obviously the jury is still out on Conley..but charles maclin dat kelce are all fast for their positions.

God help our oline though.

I think Wilson fast.

ThaVirus
08-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Every skill position player likely to see significant playing time on our offense, outside of Avant, would be considered speedy. JC and DAT would be considered exceptionally speedy.

staylor26
08-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Every skill position player likely to see significant playing time on our offense, outside of Avant, would be considered speedy. JC and DAT would be considered exceptionally speedy.

Davis also runs in the 4.3's. That is certainly exceptional.

CoMoChief
08-10-2015, 05:12 PM
I think Wilson fast.

Yeah forgot about him..dunno how many pkgs hell be in unless theres injruy to maclin conley or dat.

Fwiw i think dat is gonna have a monster season if he stays healthy.

mdchiefsfan
08-10-2015, 05:18 PM

He just seems to always negates it with his lack of vision and indecisiveness. It's quite infuriating to see someone with his rare abilities lack one of the most important aspects of his position.

Simply Red
08-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Are we sure that's not Charles in a different jersey?

http://i62.tinypic.com/jhzbt1.gif

ThaVirus
08-10-2015, 06:13 PM

He's exceptionally fast, for sure. It's really a semantics thing. I'd consider someone speedy only if they were both quick and fast. Davis has great straight line speed, but he's not particularly quick.

On the other hand, Jamaal and DAT are both exceptionally quick and fast, which legitimizes the "speedy" title.

Easy 6
08-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Knile so far has been kind of a B Hershel Walker, great inline speed but doesn't have the best vision or jukes.

Still, he's a perfect backup for JC, a killer changeup.

mdchiefsfan
08-10-2015, 06:35 PM
God I hope he can translate all his measurables onto the football field.

He did out jump this guy:

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/JULIOJONES.gif

Mr. Laz
08-11-2015, 10:32 AM
I guess Conley practices again today so that's a good deal for that knee

we need him.

Mav
08-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Yeah forgot about him..dunno how many pkgs hell be in unless theres injruy to maclin conley or dat.

Fwiw i think dat is gonna have a monster season if he stays healthy.

Wilson is listed as the starter opposite maclin. He also had the best chemistry with Alex. He's going to get used plenty.

CoMoChief
08-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Wilson is listed as the starter opposite maclin. He also had the best chemistry with Alex. He's going to get used plenty.

i think this gets blown/hyped up a lot more than it really is.

Mr. Laz
08-11-2015, 11:10 AM

I think the exact opposite.

Having the QB and WRs on the same page is one of the most important aspects there are in an NFL passing game.

MotherfuckerJones
08-11-2015, 11:16 AM
I have high hopes for Conley. Not worried at all. Hell be fine. He's far too intelligent, therefore, he won't struggle grasping the playbook. I'm looking forward to him catching a post for TD Saturday

Mr. Inmem
08-11-2015, 11:17 AM
I have high hopes for Conley. Not worried at all. Hell be fine. He's far too intelligent, therefore, he won't struggle grasping the playbook. I'm looking forward to him catching a post for TD Saturday

Don't expect big things his rookie year

RunKC
08-11-2015, 11:18 AM
http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/aaron-murray-to-chris-conley-b.gif

MotherfuckerJones
08-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Don't expect big things his rookie year

Why not exactly? Rookie WRs have been great in this league the past few years. They're doing well.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Why not exactly? Rookie WRs have been great in this league the past few years. They're doing well.

He's raw, even for a rookie.

Let's not act like this was a 1st rounder who's going to come in running polished routes.

This is a complicated offensive system and he's played in a fairly braindead system for most of his college career - the learning curve will be fairly steep for him.

He's a smart guy but when you watch him try to run, his lower half is kinda like a cartoon character sometimes in that he doesn't settle his weight over his feet terribly well. It led to the lousy 3-cone time and it also seems to have him rounding some routes here and there.

When you combine some pretty basic technique issues with a very complicated offense and a QB that absolutely will not trust you if you aren't where you're supposed to be every time you're supposed to be there, then you can guess that it's going to be awhile before he's heavily integrated into the system.

I love love LOVE the kid. The Peters pick was my favorite of this draft but Conley is very much a 1b. I think he'll be a damn fine WR for us next season but if we 'need' him this season, we might be in trouble.

And I agree with Laz (ugh); Wilson's emerging chemistry last season with Smith will absolutely keep him in the driver's seat for that #2 role and I think he'll do an extremely good job with it. The kid is legit. Anybody that saw him during the pre-season knew that there were skills to be a player there, but like many young WRs he needed to learn a bit on refining his routes, he needed to learn the system and he needed to get his reps in. With the snaps he earned down the stretch last year, I think he'll really show out nicely across from Maclin this year.

MotherfuckerJones
08-11-2015, 12:40 PM

Let's not act like this was a 1st rounder who's going to come in running polished routes.

This is a complicated offensive system and he's played in a fairly braindead system for most of his college career - the learning curve will be fairly steep for him.

He's a smart guy but when you watch him try to run, his lower half is kinda like a cartoon character sometimes in that he doesn't settle his weight over his feet terribly well. It led to the lousy 3-cone time and it also seems to have him rounding some routes here and there.

When you combine some pretty basic technique issues with a very complicated offense and a QB that absolutely will not trust you if you aren't where you're supposed to be every time you're supposed to be there, then you can guess that it's going to be awhile before he's heavily integrated into the system.

I love love LOVE the kid. The Peters pick was my favorite of this draft but Conley is very much a 1b. I think he'll be a damn fine WR for us next season but if we 'need' him this season, we might be in trouble.

And I agree with Laz (ugh); Wilson's emerging chemistry last season with Smith will absolutely keep him in the driver's seat for that #2 role and I think he'll do an extremely good job with it. The kid is legit. Anybody that saw him during the pre-season knew that there were skills to be a player there, but like many young WRs he needed to learn a bit on refining his routes, he needed to learn the system and he needed to get his reps in. With the snaps he earned down the stretch last year, I think he'll really show out nicely across from Maclin this year.

That may be the case but you don't have to be a first rounder to make it or contribute. Frankly 1-3 rounds are expected to contribute right away. Most rookie WRs don't run polished routes anyways.

O.city
08-11-2015, 01:14 PM
It's kind of a teeter totter. Ask him to do the things he excels at early, get him confident while continually having him polish and learn to do the things he needs to

MotherfuckerJones
08-11-2015, 01:19 PM
It's kind of a teeter totter. Ask him to do the things he excels at early, get him confident while continually having him polish and learn to do the things he needs to

The good thing about it is he's not expected to start. We can ease him in with Maclin and Wilson starting.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 01:26 PM

Victor Cruz and Antonio Brown would disagree

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 01:29 PM

Couldn't agree more. A complicated playbook like this takes time to learn, if we get lucky and Alex connects to him on some big plays then we can use Conley as a diversion for the remainder of the season to keep DB's playing honest. Love the speed, the grit, the brains. Year 2 is where we can really assess what kind of future he has as he is fortunate to have several weapons ahead of him that are expected to produce.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 01:31 PM
He's exceptionally fast, for sure. It's really a semantics thing. I'd consider someone speedy only if they were both quick and fast. Davis has great straight line speed, but he's not particularly quick.

On the other hand, Jamaal and DAT are both exceptionally quick and fast, which legitimizes the "speedy" title.

True. Game fast is different from combine speed. Dick Sherman is a prime example of this.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 01:35 PM
One thing about Conley that I don't think gets mentioned enough is his attitude. He's just a good locker room fit and he's got good mentors ahead of him to shape him into a solid WR.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 01:40 PM

Antonio Brown caught 16 balls as a rookie for 167 yards. Victor Cruz caught 0.

I'm not sure what point you believe you made there, but it probably didn't support the idea that we should expect big things from Conley this year.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 01:46 PM

I'm not sure what point you believe you made there, but it probably didn't support the idea that we should expect big things from Conley this year.

Wasn't speaking to his rookie season and my post right before yours clearly states that he gets time to build into the offense. We've got 6 options ahead of Conley that will be touching the ball before he gets consideration for regular reps (Kelce, Charles, Davis, DAT, Avant, Wilson). 7 if you count Smith rushing five times a game.

LoneWolf
08-11-2015, 01:50 PM

I guess he could have said T.Y. Hilton, Mike Wallace, and Terrell Owens.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 01:59 PM

Sure, and I could point out that you're naming one guy every 7 years or so so perhaps the idea that expecting that is going to lead to disappointing isn't that far-fetched.

There isn't a 3rd round WR that comes out and excels every year. There might be one every 5 years, on average. And most of those guys don't do it how Wallace and Hilton did - "You're fast - run straight and try to get behind guys".

That's not what is going to be asked of Conley in KC. At least that's not going to be what decides if he's successful or not here. The WCO as Reid runs it just doesn't rely on that sort of thing.

The statement was that you should "Never expect "big" things from a 3rd round rookie WR...you're setting yourself up for disappointment."

That's absolutely a correct statement. It doesn't mean they can't happen, but if you expect it to you're overwhelmingly more likely than not to be incorrect.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Wasn't speaking to his rookie season and my post right before yours clearly states that he gets time to build into the offense. We've got 6 options ahead of Conley that will be touching the ball before he gets consideration for regular reps (Kelce, Charles, Davis, DAT, Avant, Wilson). 7 if you count Smith rushing five times a game.

Then you weren't speaking to his post at all.

He clearly stated that you shouldn't expect big things from a 3rd round rookie WR.

By the time Brown and Cruz were playing well, they weren't rookie WRs. He never took umbrage with the idea that Conley may someday be good but it's folly to expect him to be good as a rook.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 02:06 PM

Colston and Emmanuel Sanders too.

The Franchise
08-11-2015, 02:11 PM

Now go post the huge list of WRs who HAVEN'T done shit.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Then you weren't speaking to his post at all.

He clearly stated that you shouldn't expect big things from a 3rd round rookie WR.

By the time Brown and Cruz were playing well, they weren't rookie WRs. He never took umbrage with the idea that Conley may someday be good but it's folly to expect him to be good as a rook.

Cruz (first full season) and Colston were 1200 yard+ receivers

This is also subjective to what you term as 'big' for a rookie.
If Conley progresses to a 5 targets/game receiver that hauls in 65% of them for 13+ yards each, I would call that a big year for a rookie in NFL terms for a WR, especially considering the list of proven players ahead of him.

Would Odell Beckham have put up those 100+ yard games if Victor Cruz were healthy? No. But he would have been 'big' for the NYG regardless if they turned him into a 50+ yard guy playing behind those vets.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Sure, and I could point out that you're naming one guy every 7 years or so so perhaps the idea that expecting that is going to lead to disappointing isn't that far-fetched.

There isn't a 3rd round WR that comes out and excels every year. There might be one every 5 years, on average. And most of those guys don't do it how Wallace and Hilton did - "You're fast - run straight and try to get behind guys".

That's not what is going to be asked of Conley in KC. At least that's not going to be what decides if he's successful or not here. The WCO as Reid runs it just doesn't rely on that sort of thing.

The statement was that you should "Never expect "big" things from a 3rd round rookie WR...you're setting yourself up for disappointment."

That's absolutely a correct statement. It doesn't mean they can't happen, but if you expect it to you're overwhelmingly more likely than not to be incorrect.

The words never and absolutely should never be applied together for someone who hasn't even touched the field.
It's also all relative like I just mentioned. If he has an efficient season with 40 yards/game and hauls in >60% of his targets, that's 'big' for a rookie playing behind a lot of talent.

Discuss Thrower
08-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Now go post the huge list of WRs who HAVEN'T done shit.

Travis Wilson
Derek Hagan
Brandon Williams
Maurice Stovall
Willie Reid
Earl Bennett
Early Doucet
Yamon Figurs
Laurent Robinson
Jason Hill
DeVier Posey
T.J. Graham
Ramses Barden
Jaquin Iglesias
Patrick Turner

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 02:23 PM
The words never and absolutely should never be applied together for someone who hasn't even touched the field.
It's also all relative like I just mentioned. If he has an efficient season with 40 yards/game and hauls in >60% of his targets, that's 'big' for a rookie playing behind a lot of talent.

You're mistaking "he will never HAVE a big season" with "you should never EXPECT him to".

And you shouldn't. Ever. If you expect a 3rd round rookie WR to have a big season, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'd say Conley has as good a chance as any 3rd round rookie WR to contribute in a meaningful way but if you're going into this season inking him in for 50 catches and 800+ yards, you're making 95% likely to be wrong.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 02:27 PM

If Emmanuel Sanders is now what qualifies as a 'big' season as a rookie, then you've now moved the bar low enough to include Snoop Minnis.

Now I REALLY don't know what point you're trying to make.

Hamburglar
08-11-2015, 02:29 PM
11 Catches
138 Yards
0 TDs

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Most rookie WRs don't run polished routes anyways.

And that's the reason why it's extremely difficult for any rookie to make a huge impact in Reid's WCO.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 02:33 PM
If Emmanuel Sanders is now what qualifies as a 'big' season as a rookie, then you've now moved the bar low enough to include Snoop Minnis.

Now I REALLY don't know what point you're trying to make.

Do you really have shit for brains? With hines ward, Miller, Brown, mendenhall and Wallace getting all the touches you don't think a 3rd round pick who contributes 13.4 yards a reception is 'big'? You should tell that to the starters who were on the sidelines catching their breath grateful they didn't have to come out to play 2nd/3rd down and 10. You are ridiculous.

MotherfuckerJones
08-11-2015, 02:35 PM
And that's the reason why it's extremely difficult for any rookie to make a huge impact in Reid's WCO.

True but to totally dismiss Conley is foolish. He's not a knucklehead like Bowe or an idiot like other players. I wasn't saying he'll be 80 catches 1100 yards and 10 TDs but maybe more likely with 25 catches and like 300 yards and 3 TDs. Conley has the speed and ability to produce.

Mav
08-11-2015, 02:35 PM

My god man.

Victor Cruz was undrafted, wasn't in the league in 2009, play in 3 games with zero catches in 2010.

Antonio brown played in 9 games with 16 catches his rookie year. Which after all is what we are talking about.

Now if you wanted an example to actually stay with the topic.......

Mike Wallace, Jarvis Landry, TY Hilton would be good references who made impacts their rookie seasons.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 02:37 PM
You're mistaking "he will never HAVE a big season" with "you should never EXPECT him to".

And you shouldn't. Ever. If you expect a 3rd round rookie WR to have a big season, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'd say Conley has as good a chance as any 3rd round rookie WR to contribute in a meaningful way but if you're going into this season inking him in for 50 catches and 800+ yards, you're making 95% likely to be wrong.

Conley could put up a 100+ yard game by week 4 and Reid wouldn't change the reps designed for Kelce, Maclin, and Charles. It's all relative, and an efficient season as a bench player for Conley in my books would be 'big' for this offense.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 02:40 PM
My god man.

Victor Cruz was undrafted, wasn't in the league in 2009, play in 3 games with zero catches in 2010.

Antonio brown played in 9 games with 16 catches his rookie year. Which after all is what we are talking about.

Now if you wanted an example to actually stay with the topic.......

Mike Wallace, Jarvis Landry, TY Hilton would be good references who made impacts their rookie seasons.

You should read more posts before typing out a response because you are just repeating what people have said before you including the one about Colston.

FringeNC
08-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Reading between the lines, it sure seems like the Chiefs are legit excited about him. Albert Wilson contributed 260 yards last year, almost all of it in about 4 games late. If Conley ends up having a good career, I think the signs will be obvious by the end of the year.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 02:42 PM
True but to totally dismiss Conley is foolish. He's not a knucklehead like Bowe or an idiot like other players. I wasn't saying he'll be 80 catches 1100 yards and 10 TDs but maybe more likely with 25 catches and like 300 yards and 3 TDs. Conley has the speed and ability to produce.

Exactly. But some people here feel that he has to put up fantasy numbers for a WR2 for him to be considered 'big'. The rational expectations are what would be 'big' for a bench player trying to contribute to his team, but the critics on here want to judge it based on veteran stats..

Mav
08-11-2015, 02:43 PM
You should read more posts before typing out a response because you are just repeating what people have said before you including the one about Colston.

I see that.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Do you really have shit for brains? With hines ward, Miller, Brown, mendenhall and Wallace getting all the touches you don't think a 3rd round pick who contributes 13.4 yards a reception is 'big'? You should tell that to the starters who were on the sidelines catching their breath grateful they didn't have to come out to play 2nd/3rd down and 10. You are ridiculous.

And you've been largely illiterate throughout this process so I guess you're probably not worth engaging much further. You obviously missed the first point that you attempted to respond to (poorly, I will add) and now you've just switched to moving the goalposts to fit whatever inane point you were trying to make from the start.

I will slow this down as much as I can for you - it is not impossible for 3rd round WRs to have some kind of meaningful impact (that would be the 'Sanders' season); they happen on occasion. Nor is it impossible for a 3rd round WR to have a 'big' season - though those are largely quite rare. (and no amount of parsing words here will ever qualify Sanders season as being 'big' no matter how upset you get about it).

But to EXPECT it is extremely, extremely stupid. For every Kennan Allen there are 5 Marquis Goodwins. Then again, you'd probably try to argue that Goodwin had a big season as well.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Exactly. But some people here feel that he has to put up fantasy numbers for a WR2 for him to be considered 'big'. The rational expectations are what would be 'big' for a bench player trying to contribute to his team, but the critics on here want to judge it based on veteran stats..

He DOES.

You don't grade a season on a rookie curve, unless you want to qualify it with 'for a rookie'.

Sure, Conley could have a big season for a rookie - but when the entire conversation revolves around the difficulties that a rookie has making a transition to the NFL game and getting his mind around a complicated offense, then grading it on a rookie curve kinda seems to defeat the purpose, does it not?

Knile Davis did not have a BIG year as a rookie in KC. He had a useful season as Charles' backup but not a big season by any stretch of the imagination because very few rookies do. AND THAT'S THE WHOLE GODDAMN POINT. So when you start saying 'well compared to other rookies in lesser roles, he could still have a useful season' all you're doing is espousing what is largely a truism. Um...okay?

You're just going to keep moving goalposts until Jonathan Baldwin had a 'big' year by whatever floating standard it is you choose to use.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 03:12 PM

And you've been largely illiterate throughout this process so I guess you're probably not worth engaging much further. You obviously missed the first point that you attempted to respond to (poorly, I will add) and now you've just switched to moving the goalposts to fit whatever inane point you were trying to make from the start.

I will slow this down as much as I can for you - it is not impossible for 3rd round WRs to have some kind of meaningful impact (that would be the 'Sanders' season); they happen on occasion. Nor is it impossible for a 3rd round WR to have a 'big' season - though those are largely quite rare. (and no amount of parsing words here will ever qualify Sanders season as being 'big' no matter how upset you get about it).

But to EXPECT it is extremely, extremely stupid. For every Kennan Allen there are 5 Marquis Goodwins. Then again, you'd probably try to argue that Goodwin had a big season as well.

How did you go from agreeing with the post that said 'never' to now saying 'it is not impossible for 3rd round WRs to have some kind of meaningful impact..."

Because myself and another person are using the definition of 'big' in rookie terms as someone who can step up and fill the gap. That is simply it (with even a direct comment from me saying Conley won't get a full assessment until year 2 at the earliest). Then of course you jumped in and keep reverting to comparing this rookie season against veteran stats to be considered 'big'.

I hope you understand that yourself and the first argumentative post on here were referring to 'big' placed in quotations, right??

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 03:15 PM
He DOES.

You don't grade a season on a rookie curve, unless you want to qualify it with 'for a rookie'.

Sure, Conley could have a big season for a rookie - but when the entire conversation revolves around the difficulties that a rookie has making a transition to the NFL game and getting his mind around a complicated offense, then grading it on a rookie curve kinda seems to defeat the purpose, does it not?

Knile Davis did not have a BIG year as a rookie in KC. He had a useful season as Charles' backup but not a big season by any stretch of the imagination because very few rookies do. AND THAT'S THE WHOLE GODDAMN POINT. So when you start saying 'well compared to other rookies in lesser roles, he could still have a useful season' all you're doing is espousing what is largely a truism. Um...okay?

You're just going to keep moving goalposts until Jonathan Baldwin had a 'big' year by whatever floating standard it is you choose to use.

If you go to the original comment by Strongside, nowhere does he say anything outlandish. He simply states that Conley will be big for this team if healthy. I simply agreed with this belief. The whole part where this turned into a reach of comparing him to vet numbers came out of someone's ass and it quite frankly is just stupid.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 03:38 PM
If you go to the original comment by Strongside, nowhere does he say anything outlandish. He simply states that Conley will be big for this team if healthy. I simply agreed with this belief. The whole part where this turned into a reach of comparing him to vet numbers came out of someone's ass and it quite frankly is just stupid.

This is how I know you're just going to keep moving the goalposts to fit a narrative - YOU started referencing rookie WRs who put up 'veteran performances' as a rookie to initially butress your argument.

And when it was pointed out that either those guys WEREN'T rookies, WERE extremely rare or just flat out weren't very good, you changed it to this nebulous argument where essentially any rookie campaign whereby a guy so much as plays as a 3rd string TE and gets the top two guys a few breathers here and there can be classified as doing 'big things'.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 03:44 PM
How did you go from agreeing with the post that said 'never' to now saying 'it is not impossible for 3rd round WRs to have some kind of meaningful impact..."

Because myself and another person are using the definition of 'big' in rookie terms as someone who can step up and fill the gap. That is simply it (with even a direct comment from me saying Conley won't get a full assessment until year 2 at the earliest). Then of course you jumped in and keep reverting to comparing this rookie season against veteran stats to be considered 'big'.

I hope you understand that yourself and the first argumentative post on here were referring to 'big' placed in quotations, right??

I'm going to again point out that the key word that you're overlooking here is the 'expectation' of large contributions.

You should never expect to win the lottery and in so doing plan your future retirement around it. You should never expect to go to a yard sale and purchase a priceless artifact for $3.00 so you cash out your 401K to go garage saling. You should never expect to forego routine medical checkeups and then find a tumor after an MRI when you fell down the stairs.

All of those things have happened to people at some point and yet expecting an extremely unlikely event to occur is going to get you in trouble more often than not.

That's where I think you're speaking right past shhh. Even he didn't say it can't happen - he just said you're setting yourself up to be extremely disappointed if you expect that it will.

Besides that, like I said in the first time I engaged you, I'm not sure what the hell point you were trying to make when you cited guys who weren't even rookies or all that productive when you first jumped into this thread. THAT'S when you started trying to parse words rally around a new point.

O.city
08-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Well, it seems we're about to have another blackbob sniffout

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Well, it seems we're about to have another blackbob sniffout

After two of these in 5 days (the other being 'clutch') I'm open to the possibility that perhaps I'm the asshole.

Then again, it's been hard enough to keep track of who's trolling who and who's just militantly ignorant these days that I'm thinking a pre-season vacation may be in order. When there's some real shit to talk about, perhaps there will be less of this inane nonsense to wade through.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 03:52 PM
After two of these in 5 days (the other being 'clutch') I'm open to the possibility that perhaps I'm the asshole.

Then again, it's been hard enough to keep track of who's trolling who and who's just militantly ignorant these days that I'm thinking a pre-season vacation may be in order. When there's some real shit to talk about, perhaps there will be less of this inane nonsense to wade through.

I think we can both agree that we just want this season to start. The hype from camp and the dissatisfaction from last season is making me restless

O.city
08-11-2015, 03:54 PM

Nah, hang around.

The trolling part is getting old, but hell, even the best of us engage in that everynow and then.

Plus the Cardinals are right in the middle of the dog days and we need to keep the KOz afloat

O.city
08-11-2015, 03:56 PM
It does suck that any positive chiefs predictions or prognostications is met with fervent hate from the normal crowd, but just gotta keep pushing that plow to the end of each row

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 03:58 PM
I think we can both agree that we just want this season to start. The hype from camp and the dissatisfaction from last season is making me restless

No doubt.

And truly, I'm excited as shit about this season. I said it elsewhere but I know I've not been as amped up about a season since '97 and even then I didn't like that team as much as this one.

One of these threads around here has people arguing about whether or not the Steelers have zero holes or the fewest holes or whether or not you can multiply by negative integers when dealing with absolute values...fuck, I dunno, I lost track at some point. In either event, my thought during that whole conversation was 'fuck you guys - the Chiefs SHOULD be in this conversation'.

This team is good. Now anybody that claims to know what is going to happen is full of shit, but in an era built on parity, nobody has a perfect ballclub. As I look at KC, it looks to me like it can do as much damage as any team in football.

But the season needs to get here and our guys need to make the opening bell healthy and ready to rock.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 04:12 PM
No doubt.

And truly, I'm excited as shit about this season. I said it elsewhere but I know I've not been as amped up about a season since '97 and even then I didn't like that team as much as this one.

One of these threads around here has people arguing about whether or not the Steelers have zero holes or the fewest holes or whether or not you can multiply by negative integers when dealing with absolute values...****, I dunno, I lost track at some point. In either event, my thought during that whole conversation was '**** you guys - the Chiefs SHOULD be in this conversation'.

This team is good. Now anybody that claims to know what is going to happen is full of shit, but in an era built on parity, nobody has a perfect ballclub. As I look at KC, it looks to me like it can do as much damage as any team in football.

But the season needs to get here and our guys need to make the opening bell healthy and ready to rock.

I haven't been excited for a pro sports team like this in ages too. The youth, the vets, Berry coming back from cancer, a couple of the personnel being labeled as misfits on previous squads ...it's just a cumulation of so many things that it will feel good to see this squad go out and show it will compete. All the power rankings that have the Chiefs outside the top third or even half despite last year's performance is even more reason I want the season to start so that the 'experts' can go **** themselves.

Chiefaholic
08-11-2015, 04:14 PM

Anybody happen to remember TrINT Green first season as a Chief. Chemistry is VERY important between a QB and his WR's. A veteran to the system runs better routes which is critical if you want the QB to trust you'll make the cut when you're supposed to.

Hammock Parties
08-11-2015, 04:15 PM
This team doesn't even know who it's C-RG-RT is, has nothing at NT, has no proven #2 OR #3 WR, is losing it's only proven corner to start the regular season, and you guys think it's going to compete. LMAO

Wake up.

ThaVirus
08-11-2015, 04:20 PM

But he's wearing Chiefs red. He's DIFFERENT!

Tribal Warfare
08-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Rookie receiver Chris Conley has learned by shadowing Chiefs vets Maclin, Avant (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article30720774.html)
By BLAIR KERKHOFF

Of all the eyes on Chiefs wide receivers Jeremy Maclin and Jason Avant over the first week and a half of training camp, none processed the scene more deeply than Chris Conley.

Until Monday, a knee strain had kept Conley, the team’s promising third-round selection from Georgia, on the sideline as a more-than-interested observer. Conley was lasered in, detailing how the veterans ran deep routes and made contested catches.

Conley was itching to be out there with them but tried to make the best of his job-shadowing situation.

“It was super frustrating,” Conley said. “I’m a guy who prides himself on my play, and I like practice. I like to get better. But having J-Mac and Jason out there was invaluable. I was able to meet with those guys off the field, get those guys in the film room and stay up to date.”

Tuesday marked the second day of workouts for Conley, and he got work with the first team both days. Maclin has missed both days while resting a neck injury.

No word on whether Conley will play in the Chiefs’ preseason opener Saturday at Arizona.

“It’s a day-to-day thing,” Conley said. “It’s my job to keep my head in the playbook and be ready.”

Conley figures to be a big part of the Chiefs’ passing game, which is looking for an upgrade after finishing 29th in passing yards last season with few big plays and no touchdown catches by wide receivers.

The Chiefs were thrilled the 6-foot-3, 205-pound athlete who clocked a 4.35-second 40-yard dash with a 45-inch vertical leap was available in the third round. And he didn’t disappoint during organized team activities earlier in the year.

“He just came in and picked up the offense, just like that,” cornerback Phillip Gaines said. “This type of offense is really complicated, so to be able to come in and learn a whole bunch of different positions is real tough. He handled it very well.”

As the practice days passed with no action, Conley remained active.

“The coaches did a great job keeping me involved even though I was off to the side,” he said. “I kept my mind sharp, and they kept me up to date on the installs. So when I came out here I was able to move in seamlessly, so it’s been a good transition.”

Conley said he’s working on picking up an offense that impressed him from the first meeting he had with coach Andy Reid.

“The terminology and the way he talked about the offense,” Conley said, “it wasn’t as if the offense was just routes on a page — it’s as if it was a living, moving thing. And in his mind, it is.

“There’s a reason there’s a learning curve when you come in as a young receiver. There’s so much you have to get used to.”

That’s why Conley spends as much time as he can with Maclin and Avant, whose combined career numbers — 674 receptions, 8,770 yards, 49 touchdowns — have been accumulated over 14 seasons.

“I like where he’s at,” Chiefs offensive coordinator Doug Pederson said. “Any time you miss significant time like he has, you’re playing catch-up a bit.

“I do like where he’s at mentally. He challenges himself every day. He studies, he takes notes at meetings and comes out here and listens and learns.”

CoMoChief
08-11-2015, 04:31 PM
I think the exact opposite.

Having the QB and WRs on the same page is one of the most important aspects there are in an NFL passing game.

I get that....but we're talking about a REALLY small sample size here. Maclin Conley and DAT are the better options. Last season we didn't have anybody but a under utilized Dwayne Bowe.

O.city
08-11-2015, 04:31 PM
This team doesn't even know who it's C-RG-RT is, has nothing at NT, has no proven #2 OR #3 WR, is losing it's only proven corner to start the regular season, and you guys think it's going to compete. LMAO

Wake up.

Dead serious this time

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-11-2015, 04:32 PM

Wake up.

A squad that improved the line and receivers, was missing Berry and Johnson yet they went 9-7 last year against one of the toughest schedules. Hmmm.

Are you one of those morons that counted out the Pats because they started the season at 0.500?

Mr. Laz
08-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Chris Conley great diving TD catch https://t.co/mJqljw3oXW

Hutson Mason hits Chris Conley on a 45 yard TD pass https://t.co/JnDwrVmP3i

Hutson Mason hits Chris Conley on a 45 yd TD pass #belkbowl #godawgs https://t.co/RG5hmI5hkU

DJ's left nut
08-11-2015, 05:13 PM
A squad that improved the line and receivers, was missing Berry and Johnson yet they went 9-7 last year against one of the toughest schedules. Hmmm.

Are you one of those morons that counted out the Pats because they started the season at 0.500?

He's a moron that said Tom Brady was done when they started at .500.

He's mostly just a moron.

Chiefaholic
08-11-2015, 05:14 PM

Wake up.

You love the drama, don't you. -Chicken Little

milkman
08-11-2015, 06:00 PM
No doubt.

One of these threads around here has people arguing about whether or not the Steelers have zero holes or the fewest holes or whether or not you can multiply by negative integers when dealing with absolute values...****, I dunno, I lost track at some point. In either event, my thought during that whole conversation was '**** you guys - the Chiefs SHOULD be in this conversation'.

I don't want to get into a debate about the O-Line and my concerns, but should they come together and provide even mediocre blocking, this team should absolutely be in the mix.

gonefishin53
08-11-2015, 06:03 PM
John Brown, Pittsburg St., pick #91 by the Cards in 2014. In Bruce Arians offense, caught 48 (102 targets) for 696 yards and 5 TDs with pretty questionable quarterbacking in the last 10 games. Unless he's hangin' with the trainers a lot, that's not unreasonable expectations for Conley.

staylor26
08-11-2015, 06:04 PM
I don't want to get into a debate about the O-Line and my concerns, but should they come together and provide even mediocre blocking, this team should absolutely be in the mix.

I think they will. I think this offensive line will be a lot more like the one we saw at the end of '13. At least much closer to that than last years.

Discuss Thrower
08-11-2015, 06:05 PM
John Brown, Pittsburg St., pick #91 by the Cards in 2014. In Bruce Arians offense, caught 48 (102 targets) for 696 yards and 5 TDs with pretty questionable quarterbacking in the last 10 games. Unless he's hangin' with the trainers a lot, that's not unreasonable expectations for Conley.

That is the epitome of unreasonable expectation for Conley.

Ballpark of 25 targets, about a dozen catches and < 300 yards.

RealSNR
08-11-2015, 06:08 PM

The clutch thing was dumbfuckery on staylor. Otherwise he seems like a nice guy. Those moments happen for everyone.

TigerUppercut I believe is the man from UNCLE penis

RealSNR
08-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Chris Conley great diving TD catch https://t.co/mJqljw3oXW

Hutson Mason hits Chris Conley on a 45 yard TD pass https://t.co/JnDwrVmP3i

Hutson Mason hits Chris Conley on a 45 yd TD pass #belkbowl #godawgs https://t.co/RG5hmI5hkU

People from the South name their kids weird shit.

gonefishin53
08-11-2015, 06:14 PM
That is the epitome of unreasonable expectation for Conley.

Ballpark of 25 targets, about a dozen catches and < 300 yards.

Because Conley is a short, slow, stupid, lazy rookie?

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-11-2015, 06:14 PM

Wake up.

:LOL:

Shut

the

fuck

up!

RealSNR
08-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Because Conley is a short, slow, stupid, lazy rookie?

No. Because he's a goddamn rookie, that's why

O.city
08-11-2015, 06:28 PM
I doubt he's option 2, 3, or 4 atleast for a while.

That being the case, he's probably not going to get a whole lot of targets early, maybe not all year.

It doesn't mean he's bad, he may take off and do big things this year. But it isn't likely.

Hamburglar
08-11-2015, 06:56 PM
I doubt he's option 2, 3, or 4 atleast for a while.

That being the case, he's probably not going to get a whole lot of targets early, maybe not all year.

It doesn't mean he's bad, he may take off and do big things this year. But it isn't likely.

I'm with you. There will be a couple of plays for him and he'll be a gunner. Other than that he won't do much.

O.city
08-11-2015, 07:23 PM
They need him to be a great outside guy. Like TO type player in Philly was for reid. Not this year, but in the next few.

With him and Maclin outside and Wilson /Thomas in the slot, you've got some possibilities

Dunerdr
08-11-2015, 08:31 PM
They need him to be a great outside guy. Like TO type player in Philly was for reid. Not this year, but in the next few.

With him and Maclin outside and Wilson /Thomas in the slot, you've got some possibilities

This is the most accurate statement in this thread so far except what SNR said about weird southern names.

Conley has a monster ceiling but is at his floor. I'm going into the season expecting better numbers from avant by a mile than Conley, and I don't expect avant to be better than that receiver we traded for last year. Was Jack Shit his name?