PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Charles encouraged be rebuilt offensive line

Iowanian
08-14-2015, 05:52 PM
http://www.chiefsdigest.com/running-back-jamaal-charles-encouraged-by-rebuilt-chiefs-offensive-line/

**poster note. I heard an interview with Herbie Teope on 810 today. He is a pretty interesting guy, has football knowledge and is a former Army drill instructor.

Running back Jamaal Charles encouraged by rebuilt Chiefs offensive line
Posted in Featured, Training Camp By Herbie Teope+ On August 12, 2015 Print article

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. – The sight of a collapsing pocket or Chiefs linemen getting beat at the point of attack was a weekly occurrence in 2014

To say the Chiefs offensive line had issues would be an understatement, as quarterbacks Alex Smith (45) and Chase Daniel (4) combined for 49 times sacked.

Aug. 2, 2014; St. Joseph, MO; Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles (25) runs through a hole during training camp practice. (Emily DeShazer/The Topeka-Capital Journal)
Aug. 2, 2014; St. Joseph, MO; Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles (25) runs through a hole during training camp practice. (Emily DeShazer/The Topeka-Capital Journal)

Kansas City’s running game also experienced a setback despite Jamaal Charles totaling 1,324 yards from scrimmage, which represented a decrease of 656 yards from the 1,980 yards the two-time All-Pro produced in 2013.

The Chiefs made it a priority to upgrade the offensive line during the offseason, trading for two-time Pro Bowl left guard Ben Grubbs, using a second-round pick on rookie center/guard Mitch Morse and signing guard Paul Fanaika to a three-year deal.

Charles made it no secret he is pleased with the overhaul.

“It was rough last year,” Charles said Wednesday. “Seeing it now, seeing the more experience we got now, I’m like, man, it’s going to be better with having a great talent at left guard.”

The Chiefs took a Band-Aid approach following the 2013 season after losing left tackle Branden Albert, and guards Geoff Schwartz and Jon Asamoah to free agency.

The patchwork resulted in the signing of guards Jeff Linkenbach and Mike McGlynn, who joined the team the final week of preseason; and tackle Ryan Harris, who signed before the start of training camp.

Additional turmoil ensued when guard/tackle Jeff Allen suffered a season-ending biceps/elbow injury in the first regular season game, and Donald Stephenson, who projected as the starting right tackle, was suspended the first four games of 2014.

“It was tough last year in the sense that, just the moving parts,” quarterback Alex Smith said. “We had a bunch of guys that came in late. We were trying to fit it together even through camp, as camp ended, you’re picking up guys that were stepping in and playing.”

Gone are McGlynn and Jeff Linkenbach, both of whom combined at left guard for 9 ½ sacks, which led the offensive line; Harris and center Rodney Hudson, who signed a free-agent deal with the Oakland Raiders.

The Chiefs have yet to settle the offensive line with 11 days of full-team practices in the books, but have run Eric Fisher at left tackle, Grubbs at left guard, Morse at center, Zach Fulton at right guard and Allen at right tackle in the past five practices.

Coach Andy Reid said Wednesday that group would start the first preseason game, and Charles is encouraged by what he has seen.

“I’m getting comfortable with the group,” Charles said. “I feel like Grubbs and Fish(er), they’re building chemistry. Then you’ve got Jeff moved (to right tackle), and Zach.”

Charles complimented each player, and said Fulton, who started all 16 games as a rookie in 2014, has a year under his belt.

Charles concedes Morse may not have NFL experience, but pointed out the rookie offensive linemen enjoyed success at Missouri.

“I think he’s ready,” Charles said. “He’s not much experienced, but I think he has experience in the past playing at a high level in the SEC, so I feel comfortable.”

And the Chiefs’ star running back had a special compliment for the man holding down the left guard position.

“Grubbs, he reminds me of Brian Waters,” Charles said. “Brian Waters was a great guard for the Chiefs for a long time and that’s what we need, guys like that.”

The Chiefs started training camp with third-year pro Eric Kush at center, Allen at right guard and Stephenson at right tackle before reshuffling the deck on Aug. 8.

While continuity along the front five is arguably the biggest determining factor for success, Smith is confident with what he sees.

“I feel good about it,” Smith said. “I think those guys are doing a great job, they get great work in practice – we go against such a good front, so they get tested every single day, every play. They’ve been doing a great job.”

The Chiefs have three more days of training camp and four preseason games to finalize starters on the offensive line, and to find important swing players at the tackle and guard position, respectively.

And unlike the 2014 season, there are plenty of options to consider on this year’s roster.

“Inevitably, like every year, it’s more than five,” Smith said. “You need depth, it’s going to be seven, eight guys that are going to have to step in and play over the course of a year. Depth is important with that.”

Charles said he feels excited to know the Chiefs made a commitment to upgrade the personnel group largely responsible for opening holes for him.

“When you have a line, that gets you excited,” Charles said. “That gets you wanting to play, you want to stay on the field. You want to give your all because the guys that have experience, they got the same experience you have. They’re going to go out there and give it all they have to win the game.”

Even more important, the team’s biggest star player pointed out the bottom line.

“I’m happy we went out there and got some experience on the line,” Charles said. “That means that we want to win.”

———-

Herbie Teope is the lead beat writer and reporter for ChiefsDigest.com. Use the contact page to reach him or find him on Twitter: @HerbieTeope.

———-

cdcox
08-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Iowanian encouraged be writing thread titles.

KCTitus
08-14-2015, 06:00 PM
If Jamaal is encouraged by the state of the line this year, who am I to argue?

FlaChief58
08-14-2015, 06:08 PM

He's not much experienced either

Gadzooks
08-14-2015, 06:11 PM
I also be excited by the changes to the KC o-line this off-season.

loochy
08-14-2015, 06:15 PM
I apple exists Jupiter in a taco.

FlaChief58
08-14-2015, 06:24 PM
I apple exists Jupiter in a taco.

Posted thisly be why you gets the escalades

loochy
08-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Posted thisly be why you gets the escalades

Yes, buy keep in mind that pancake dogs is lifted weights pudding pops scrubbed..

FlaChief58
08-14-2015, 06:33 PM
Yes, buy keep in mind that pancake dogs is lifted weights pudding pops scrubbed..

Hahahaaa! Badinky dank fo dashizzy bunk wazzao

loochy
08-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Hahahaaa! Badinky dank fo dashizzy bunk wazzao

Ugh. Menstrual cycle consumed first base stretching fresh prince.

FlaChief58
08-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Ugh. Menstrual cycle consumed first base stretching fresh prince.

LMAO Ho be cray cray

Hammock Parties
08-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Chiefs player makes shocking, unexpectedly positive statement about his own fucking team.

Strongside
08-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Iowanian has a learning disability.

He's happy to receive all the escalades for this post.

Rausch
08-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Chiefs player makes shocking, unexpectedly positive statement about his own ****ing team.

With questionable amounts of truth...

Mr. Inmem
08-14-2015, 07:07 PM
Chiefs player makes shocking, unexpectedly positive statement about his own ****ing team.

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/355/112/1/S3551121/original.gif?v=1

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-14-2015, 07:15 PM

Yeah, we know BUT

SHUT THE

FUCK UP !

jspchief
08-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Chiefs player makes shocking, unexpectedly positive statement about his own ****ing team.irony

Iowanian
08-14-2015, 07:56 PM

I figured I might right most best title in Jamal Charles accent.

ThaVirus
08-14-2015, 08:31 PM
I'd love to see a career-year from Jamaal, although I know RBs tend to start their downward trend at his age.

Plus, with Davis and possibly West, we don't need to rely on him so heavily anymore.

I want to see tons of TDs from him, though.

Saccopoo
08-14-2015, 08:42 PM
I'd love to see a career-year from Jamaal, although I know RBs tend to start their downward trend at his age.

Plus, with Davis and possibly West, we don't need to rely on him so heavily anymore.

I want to see tons of TDs from him, though.

I want to see 1,800 yards on 6.2 ypc and 21 TD's. That's the baseline. If the guy has a chance to be eventually considered for the Hall of Fame, he's got to put up one season that is utterly legendary. This is the season that he needs to get it done.

KCUnited
08-14-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm pollen for the Chiefs.

Gonzo
08-14-2015, 08:55 PM
I be excited about Iowanian's threads.

KCUnited
08-14-2015, 08:57 PM
I can see Charles in a yellow jacket at the end of his career.

KCUnited
08-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Iowanian bea the arthur of this thread.

LoneWolf
08-14-2015, 09:34 PM
I want to see 1,800 yards on 6.2 ypc and 21 TD's. That's the baseline.

Really?! That's the baseline? That would be arguably the best season by a running back in history.

Stick to talking about fatties. At least we all know you don't know jack shit about offensive linemen. We only assumed you were a drooling moron about other positions.

Saccopoo
08-14-2015, 11:05 PM
Really?! That's the baseline? That would be arguably the best season by a running back in history.

Stick to talking about fatties. At least we all know you don't know jack shit about offensive linemen. We only assumed you were a drooling moron about other positions.

Like I said, he needs a legendary season to get the yellow.

Right now, he's been excellent, but it's not getting him into the Hall.

He needs a Priest Holmes 2002 level season. A Tomlinson 2006 season. A Faulk 1999 season.

He's capable, he's put up gaudy numbers to date and this is the best team he's been on in his pro career.

The time is now. He's healthy. It's a numbers friendly system.

I think those numbers are attainable, and I would ride him into the ground to do it.

Mav
08-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Like I said, he needs a legendary season to get the yellow.

Right now, he's been excellent, but it's not getting him into the Hall.

He needs a Priest Holmes 2002 level season. A Tomlinson 2006 season. A Faulk 1999 season.

He's capable, he's put up gaudy numbers to date and this is the best team he's been on in his pro career.

The time is now. He's healthy. It's a numbers friendly system.

I think those numbers are attainable, and I would ride him into the ground to do it.

He has the best yard per carry in NFL HISTORY. He will be okay.

milkman
08-14-2015, 11:33 PM
He has the best yard per carry in NFL HISTORY. He will be okay.

When the talking heads talk about the great RBs in the league today, if Charles is mentioned at all, it's as an after thought.

He is the best in the game today, and no one notices.

He won't get a yellow jacket unless he has at least 2 legendary seasons.

Mav
08-14-2015, 11:40 PM
When the talking heads talk about the great RBs in the league today, if Charles is mentioned at all, it's as an after thought.

You're right. Hopefully the Chiefs give him that chance this season.

Smed1065
08-14-2015, 11:42 PM

1 SB win will do it as well!

Hate to say it but I am afraid only FF results will determine the HOF before long.

DaNewGuy
08-14-2015, 11:48 PM
I hope he makes the HOF he really deserves it, will go down as my all time favorite Kansas City Chief along with Colquitt

BIG K
08-14-2015, 11:54 PM

Hey Milk. This is a great point. If he was on another team...

WilliamTheIrish
08-15-2015, 09:53 AM
This thread be awesome.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-15-2015, 10:10 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/355/112/1/S3551121/original.gif?v=1

Bubbles?

Pasta Little Brioni
08-15-2015, 10:12 AM
6.2 YPC minimum ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL This place is nuts

milkman
08-15-2015, 10:28 AM
6.2 YPC minimum ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL This place is nuts

I really don't get what you're laughing about.

Charles has never averaged fewer than 5.0 ypc, has 5.9 and 6.4, nearly breaking the single season record, all while running behind lines that couldn't create holes in a paper with a hole puncher.

ThaVirus
08-15-2015, 10:31 AM
I'd never doubt Jamaal but saying that's your floor of expectations is really setting yourself up for a letdown...

Like I said, a career year or somewhere near what he did in 2013 would be great for me. He had 19 TDs in 15 games that year.

I don't think he'll be able to make the Hall but if he's going to he needs to boost his TD totals and make it over 10,000 rushing yards. Assuming he plays for another 3-4 years with us he'd need less than 1,000 per year. That's totally doable and anything above it is gravy.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-15-2015, 10:33 AM
I really don't get what you're laughing about.

Charles has never averaged fewer than 5.0 ypc, has 5.9 and 6.4, nearly breaking the single season record, all while running behind lines that couldn't create holes in a paper with a hole puncher.

So a floor of an average no running backs ever come close to approaching is realistic ohhhhhhhk WHY NOT SHOOT FOR 7!!!

milkman
08-15-2015, 10:48 AM
So a floor of an average no running backs ever come close to approaching is realistic ohhhhhhhk WHY NOT SHOOT FOR 7!!!

What?

Jamaal has surpassed that average in a season.

If this O-Line can even approach top half of the league ranking, 6.2 ypc is a realistic goal for Charles.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-15-2015, 10:57 AM
I know he has, but it's still a ridiculous number. 5 YPC is a very good season.

O.city
08-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Pgm should stop posting. He's and idiot

Pasta Little Brioni
08-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Pgm should stop posting. He's and idiot

Hey buddy :) I did see you concede defeat on Heyward though.

notorious
08-15-2015, 11:12 AM
I know he has, but it's still a ridiculous number. 5 YPC is a very good season.

Some of the best ever never crack 5.

Hell, Emmitt Smith only did it once, and he was behind one of the best lines in history.

O.city
08-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Hey buddy :) I did see you concede defeat on Heyward though.

Never

Pasta Little Brioni
08-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Never

I am the way

penbrook
08-15-2015, 11:19 AM
I want to see 1,800 yards on 6.2 ypc and 21 TD's. That's the baseline. If the guy has a chance to be eventually considered for the Hall of Fame, he's got to put up one season that is utterly legendary. This is the season that he needs to get it done.

He had 15 TDs last year and he was hurt all year and missed a few games. He could of easily of surpassed 21 TDs last year if he wasn't hurt. Jamaal is just a freak of nature. I believe he's the best RB in the NFL

O.city
08-15-2015, 11:19 AM
If Charles has a legit mvp type season, that would be cool

CoMoChief
08-15-2015, 11:24 AM

Looks like Bubbles brother.