PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 4 things...

Sully
08-15-2015, 10:22 PM
Chase Daniel is fun to watch. My favorite Tiger ever, and he just makes plays. Not calling for him to start by any means. I just enjoy his success.

Ramik Wilson surprised me tonight. I like him, but thought he had a steep learning curve to contribute. He may not.

Eric Fisher looked good. Other than the one hold, he was flawless.

This one hurts. I don't want to be this guy, and I hope I'm wrong, but...
Dee Ford is a bust.
In the run game, he cannot get off a block to save his life. He's obviously big and strong enough for the position, but he has no power. Just a block magnet.
In the pass game, he's got elite speed, but he can't turn the corner. He gets washed past the Q every time. It's something that can be taught... but he isn't even attempting to get a good lean at this point.

greg63
08-15-2015, 10:24 PM
I think Daniels could step right into the starting role without missing a beat.

BigChiefFan
08-15-2015, 10:26 PM
That's all we can ask, is that some of the players are trending upward. No way will all players improve.

TEX
08-15-2015, 10:31 PM

He's already proved it twice.

KCCHIEFS27
08-15-2015, 10:33 PM
He's already proved it twice.

Ohhhhhhhhh snap!

Simply Red
08-15-2015, 10:34 PM
I think there may eventually be a true challenger for Alex in Chase McDaniels. He seems he may be every bit as good as he played that last game, last year, was it?

Sully
08-15-2015, 10:47 PM
I enjoyed watching Daniel. And I always root for him to succeed.

But let's also be honest. He stared down receivers all night who just happened to come open. While he took advantage, I think his success tonight was more about circumstance than anything.

But it is fun to watch.

jonzie04
08-15-2015, 10:50 PM
Didn't get a chance to watch the game last year but I said the same thing last year about Ford lacking a natural "bend". IMO he could be an elite pass rusher if he somehow had the balance and agility to turn the corner. I'm not 100% sure that is something that can be taught though. Sad to hear his run defense is still suspect.

good to hear about Wilson and Fisher.

Did March look any good?

Sully
08-15-2015, 10:55 PM
Didn't get a chance to watch the game last year but I said the same thing last year about Ford lacking a natural "bend". IMO he could be an elite pass rusher if he somehow had the balance and agility to turn the corner. I'm not 100% sure that is something that can be taught though. Sad to hear his run defense is still suspect.

Did March look any good?

March looked very good. Just small. He moves well. He and Wilson together was a very mobile ILB corps.

thabear04
08-15-2015, 11:03 PM

Did March look any good?

Yeah March look good he stop a player in the backfield. Remind me of how DJ always blow up the RB for a loss of gain.

jonzie04
08-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Nice Nice, i'm excited to see how things end up playing out at that spot. I liked Alexander even more than Wilson after watching their clips after the draft. Sounds like Ole Mauga better get healthy.

KChiefs1
08-15-2015, 11:17 PM

I have no doubt about that.

KChiefs1
08-15-2015, 11:18 PM
I enjoyed watching Daniel. And I always root for him to succeed.

But let's also be honest. He stared down receivers all night who just happened to come open. While he took advantage, I think his success tonight was more about circumstance than anything.

But it is fun to watch.

He needs more game time & he would learn the nuisance of the game.

Sully
08-15-2015, 11:20 PM
The nuisance of the game?

aturnis
08-15-2015, 11:20 PM

Who?

Sully
08-15-2015, 11:21 PM
Let me add a 5th thing.

I am encouraged by this win. The way we won was very business-like. For lack of a better term, it was Patriot-esque.

It's early, but I'm getting a feeling about this team...

O.city
08-15-2015, 11:32 PM
Let me add a 5th thing.

I am encouraged by this win. The way we won was very business-like. For lack of a better term, it was Patriot-esque.

Just looking at highlights from the midway point of the 2nd quarter on (date night) it is encouraging that it looks like our depth played really well and is talented.

That hasn't been the case in a long time.

DaneMcCloud
08-15-2015, 11:41 PM
Just looking at highlights from the midway point of the 2nd quarter on (date night) it is encouraging that it looks like our depth played really well and is talented.

That hasn't been the case in a long time.

Uh, ever.

O.city
08-15-2015, 11:42 PM
Uh, ever.

I couldn't really remember back in the 90s to well, didn't keep up with it like these days

RINGLEADER
08-15-2015, 11:52 PM
It was one preseason game but tonight it showed we had depth, that West can ball, that we may have some young receivers who can contribute, and some of the questions about future moves at LB and corner may be addressed. O-Line is still a question mark but looked better than last year for sure.

And the earlier poster summed it up perfectly. Some players are ascending and others (Ford, Commings) need to step up if they plan on sticking.

O.city
08-15-2015, 11:55 PM
Sully, on the bubble screen to DAT, that's a read play, with the bubble as an addition.

Is the read determined on box number/alignment or?

aturnis
08-16-2015, 01:02 AM
Let me add a 5th thing.

This was the same as every preseason game. The team with better depth wins.

If it were a real game, it looked like we were gonna get our shit pushed in.

Sorter
08-16-2015, 01:06 AM
Sully, on the bubble screen to DAT, that's a read play, with the bubble as an addition.

Is the read determined on box number/alignment or?

I'll have to rewatch but typically slant/bubble is a IZ read based on #s ITB.

Psyko Tek
08-16-2015, 01:07 AM
The nuisance of the game?

I think I will use that when I get n00bs at work\
here are the basic guidelines, but there are nuisances you have to learn to deal with

jonzie04
08-16-2015, 01:13 AM
Found a torrent of the game and started watching. Very first play of Peters career was against Larry Fitzgerald. Damn that has to be terrifying lol.

Sully
08-16-2015, 01:16 AM

We weren't getting our shit pushed in.
Abdullah got beat, and Smith threw a dumb ball.

milkman
08-16-2015, 06:11 AM
Ramik Wilson is the guy we drafted out of Georgia.

Athletic guy that can defend the pass and play in space, but looks to finesse his way to tackles.

He was an absolute bystander in the 2 goal line plays on the Cardinals opening drive.

Until, and unless, he starts to put his nose in there, he has no business on the field except on passing downs.

BoneKrusher
08-16-2015, 07:14 AM

Yeah, he looked great. :thumb:

Anyong Bluth
08-16-2015, 07:31 AM

Good to see people are keeping level headed when it comes to making predictions off of preseason games.

Everybody knows that SBs are won in August.

gblowfish
08-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Where the other six things????

Poseur!

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-16-2015, 07:42 AM
This was the best preseason game the Chiefs ever played. Not only did they dominate but for once the majority of fans are actually happy.

Or the Cards really suck and we're too stupid to realize.

SeeingRed
08-16-2015, 07:47 AM
i donno...to me we got beat up...Arizona starters kicked our ass. Only pre season game 1 but wasn't very encouraging to be honest.

SeeingRed
08-16-2015, 07:48 AM
This was the best preseason game the Chiefs ever played. Not only did they dominate but for once the majority of fans are actually happy.

Or the Cards really suck and we're too stupid to realize.

ya, i saw it very differently actually. At least in the 1st quarter when the starters played we clearly lost the battle.

milkman
08-16-2015, 07:55 AM
After spending 4 and a half hours watching this first preseason game, these are my observations.

You already have my comments regarding Ramik Wilson in an earlier post in this thread, so I'll comment on Justin March next.

The guy was all over the field, chasing down RBs in the passing game, sticking his nose in at the LOS getting involved in run stops.

He plays with abandon and has good instincts.

DJ was DJ.

On the DL, other than the usual suspects, Hebron Fangupo, Nick Williams and David Irving were the guys that flashed some ability.

In the backfield, Deji Olatoye and Kevin Short looked like some guys with promise that this team might want to develop.

On offense, Fred Williams and DaRon Brown opened some eyes.

Charcandrick West showed some surprising power, and was electric in space.

James O"Irishman has a long way to go as a blocker at TE.

The starting O-Line, including Stephenson, who came in for an injured Jeff Allen after the first series, looked pretty solid.

Marcus Reed had one huge whiff, but actually played pretty well overall.

The best showing of the night, though, came from Laurent Davarney-Tardiff, who was easily the best of the group, playing both sides of center.

Paul Fanaika is just a waste of a roster spot.

Finally, Chase Daniel stood tall and delivered a couple of pretty passes.
Those were two plays that Alex Smith simply doesn't make.

Take that for what it's worth.

Rausch
08-16-2015, 08:07 AM

I don't remember ever hearing his name before but he was impressive. I think he'd be ready for the no 2 role if injury forced him to step up...

milkman
08-16-2015, 08:10 AM
I don't remember ever hearing his name before but he was impressive. I think he'd be ready for the no 2 role if injury forced him to step up...

The only reason that he isn't #2 now is draft position.

He is better than an overrated Knile Davis, who is Larry Johnson with less power.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
08-16-2015, 08:13 AM
Judging backups who play other backups is like saying the Milwaukee Bucks are legit because they beat the Toronto Raptors.

Reerun_KC
08-16-2015, 08:15 AM
He needs more game time & he would learn the nuisance of the game.

Good god. Never quit CP. Never quit.

Rausch
08-16-2015, 08:15 AM
The only reason that he isn't #2 now is draft position.

He is better than an overrated Knile Davis, who is Larry Johnson with less power.

Davis has better speed but much less power. And is made of glass...

Rausch
08-16-2015, 08:17 AM
Good god. Never quit CP. Never quit.

Irregardless, it's a mood point...

Reerun_KC
08-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Irregardless, it's a mood point...

If only moar roped tires.

milkman
08-16-2015, 08:21 AM
Judging backups who play other backups is like saying the Milwaukee Bucks are legit because they beat the Toronto Raptors.

Since the backups are mostly playing backups, that's the only way to judge them.

BigMeatballDave
08-16-2015, 08:24 AM
LOL One season and one preseason game and Ford is a bust.

O.city
08-16-2015, 08:24 AM
I'll have to rewatch but typically slant/bubble is a IZ read based on #s ITB.

That's what I thought.

Looked like it should have been a give last night

SeeingRed
08-16-2015, 08:28 AM
After spending 4 and a half hours watching this first preseason game, these are my observations.

You already have my comments regarding Ramik Wilson in an earlier post in this thread, so I'll comment on Justin March next.

The guy was all over the field, chasing down RBs in the passing game, sticking his nose in at the LOS getting involved in run stops.

He plays with abandon and has good instincts.

DJ was DJ.

On the DL, other than the usual suspects, Hebron Fangupo, Nick Williams and David Irving were the guys that flashed some ability.

In the backfield, Deji Olatoye and Kevin Short looked like some guys with promise that this team might want to develop.

On offense, Fred Williams and DaRon Brown opened some eyes.

James O"Irishman has a long way to go as a blocker at TE.

The starting O-Line, including Stephenson, who came in for an injured Jeff Allen after the first series, looked pretty solid.

Marcus Reed had one huge whiff, but actually played pretty well overall.

The best showing of the night, though, came from Laurent Davarney-Tardiff, who was easily the best of the group, playing both sides of center.

Paul Fanaika is just a waste of a roster spot.

Fred Williams, Charcandrick West and Chase Daniel looked great actually....and yes I agree that Chase Daniel outplayed Alex Smith....by quite a lot actually. Chase Daniel was the best player on the field from either team.

Saccopoo
08-16-2015, 08:40 AM

Athletic guy that can defend the pass and play in space, but looks to finesse his way to tackles.

He was an absolute bystander in the 2 goal line plays on the Cardinals opening drive.

Until, and unless, he starts to put his nose in there, he has no business on the field except on passing downs.

Which is exactly what he did at Georgia.

He found a lot of tackles.

He didn't make a lot of tackles.

Dorsey obviously wants a certain guy at that position. He keeps bringing in guys through FA and the draft who are essentially the same guy (Mauga, Wilson).

BigMeatballDave
08-16-2015, 08:46 AM
Which is exactly what he did at Georgia.

He found a lot of tackles.

He didn't make a lot of tackles.

Dorsey obviously wants a certain guy at that position. He keeps bringing in guys through FA and the draft who are essentially the same guy (Mauga, Wilson).

Go plug you're rotten vagina. You're just pissy it's not a Mormon/Utah player.

Saccopoo
08-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Go plug you're rotten vagina. You're just pissy it's not a Mormon/Utah player.

I'm just pissy it was Ramik Wilson.

He was the one dude I didn't want.

Oh, and while were at it, did anyone catch the Dolphins preseason game? The one where Vigil was the best player on the field?

Zach Vigil, linebacker: Miami’s undrafted rookie linebacker is proving to be a nice find so far. He’s had a solid camp and led the Dolphins on Thursday with five tackles, a sack and two tackles for a loss. Vigil stays around the football and also brings special teams value.

That's the kind of shit you want from a MLB.

MotherfuckerJones
08-16-2015, 09:18 AM

I've yet to witness make those two throws. Those were surprisingly pretty. Unexpected from Chase.

oldman
08-16-2015, 09:19 AM
I'm going to echo some of milkman's observations. I really liked LDT's progress. Williams and Brown looked like a couple guys looking to take some vet's job away. I liked West's power. March looked like a guy who's not afraid to stick his nose in there.

Lonewolf Ed
08-16-2015, 09:44 AM
I am not too concerned with Alex's play yet. It was the first preseason game and aside from when he took off and ran for a first down, he was not in full game mode. Now, if his other outings are the same or not much better as the the preseason goes on, then I will be worried come the season opener.

TEX
08-16-2015, 09:50 AM
LOL One season and one preseason game and Ford is a bust.

Yep. ROFL Kinda like that Neil Smith guy...

TEX
08-16-2015, 09:52 AM
I've yet to witness make those two throws. Those were surprisingly pretty. Unexpected from Chase.

Why? Both times that Chase started for Smith he looked good. He's made some difficult throws when it counts so it stands to reason he could as well when it doesn't. Right? :shrug:

ChiefsHooligan
08-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Chase Daniel is fun to watch. My favorite Tiger ever, and he just makes plays. Not calling for him to start by any means. I just enjoy his success.

Ramik Wilson surprised me tonight. I like him, but thought he had a steep learning curve to contribute. He may not.

Eric Fisher looked good. Other than the one hold, he was flawless.

This one hurts. I don't want to be this guy, and I hope I'm wrong, but...
Dee Ford is a bust.
In the run game, he cannot get off a block to save his life. He's obviously big and strong enough for the position, but he has no power. Just a block magnet.
In the pass game, he's got elite speed, but he can't turn the corner. He gets washed past the Q every time. It's something that can be taught... but he isn't even attempting to get a good lean at this point.speed is useless unless you have pass rush moves. Which he seems to not have. Not looking to encouraging for sjre

Sully
08-16-2015, 10:12 AM

Derrick Johnson was the exact same player until the Haley regime.

petegz28
08-16-2015, 11:03 AM

Yeah because our best offensive weapon never touched the ball once......:facepalm:

petegz28
08-16-2015, 11:05 AM
We weren't getting our shit pushed in.
Abdullah got beat, and Smith threw a dumb ball.

Smith threw a dumb ball is a bit of speculation...

1. We don't know for sure if Avant did or did not run the right route...

2. Smith couldn't step into the throw...

Assuming neither of the above were a part of it then yes, Smith threw a dumb ball

Reerun_KC
08-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Why? Both times that Chase started for Smith he looked good. He's made some difficult throws when it counts so it stands to reason he could as well when it doesn't. Right? :shrug:

Yeah I agree. I clearly remember him making those same dumpoffs and at least 1 or 3 pass plays for negative yards in the SD game last year. One went for -6 yards.

Looks like he has a good understanding of Reids short horizontal passing game.

petegz28
08-16-2015, 11:07 AM

Bono looked good until he started regularly and teams got tape on him.....just sayin'

petegz28
08-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Alex Smith has been the QB of this team for 2 seasons and we had a winning record both seasons and people are crying about an INT in game 1 of the preseason.

You want to feel good about a preseason game 1? Go back a few years ago and watch Cassel\Hillis shred the Cards. You'll feel better for about 30 seconds

pugsnotdrugs19
08-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Smith threw a dumb ball is a bit of speculation...

1. We don't know for sure if Avant did or did not run the right route...

2. Smith couldn't step into the throw...

Assuming neither of the above were a part of it then yes, Smith threw a dumb ball

All of this. I can't stress these things enough, the int was a group effort. Smith, Knile, Morse and maybe Avant all played a role. But the inaccuracy was a result of him rushing the throw with the guy running clean right at him.

Need I remind everyone again, our 1's looked really good the first preseason game of 2012. It's all way too soon to judge.

Reerun_KC
08-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Bono looked good until he started regularly and teams got tape on him.....just sayin'

But diamonds in rough things.

Saccopoo
08-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Derrick Johnson was the exact same player until the Haley regime.

Uh...

Johnson was already a very talented pass defender when he stepped onto the field - as the stongside OLB in a 43.

He was lazy in his off-season training, thinking he could rely on his natural athleticism to carry him over to the season, which is always why he struggled to come up to his game/season playing speed until late.

That's why Haley put a foot in his ass. Which helped a lot.

But his natural game tendencies were always pretty solid. (He came off blocks wide to start his career, but that was primarily a function of playing OLB in college and to start his pro career.)

Wilson, at least in college, found a ton of tackles. He rarely made tackles. (Which is why I wasn't the least bit enamored of Eric Kendricks - same type of player.) Dude never went in and got the tackles, especially impact tackles like TFL and sacks. Sub-mediocre in taking on blocks. (Which is also why I really liked Zach Vigil in that that dude would absolutely go right into an offensive lineman, stand him up and rip right off the block to make the impact play behind the los.)

So, anyway, there you go...

BigMeatballDave
08-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Uh...

Johnson was already a very talented pass defender when he stepped onto the field - as the stongside OLB in a 43.

He was lazy in his off-season training, thinking he could rely on his natural athleticism to carry him over to the season, which is always why he struggled to come up to his game/season playing speed until late.

But his natural game tendencies were always pretty solid. (He came off blocks wide to start his career, but that was primarily a function of playing OLB in college and to start his pro career.)

Wilson, at least in college, found a ton of tackles. He rarely made tackles. (Which is why I wasn't the least bit enamored of Eric Kendricks - same type of player.) Dude never went in and got the tackles, especially impact tackles like TFL and sacks. Sub-mediocre in taking on blocks. (Which is also why I really liked Zach Vigil in that that dude would absolutely go right into an offensive lineman, stand him up and rip right off the block to make the impact play behind the los.)

So, anyway, there you go...<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jSZgkFtV-Ao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saccopoo
08-16-2015, 11:21 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jSZgkFtV-Ao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh, did you see Vigil's line in the first preseason game?

Zach Vigil, linebacker: Miami’s undrafted rookie linebacker is proving to be a nice find so far. He’s had a solid camp and led the Dolphins on Thursday with five tackles, a sack and two tackles for a loss. Vigil stays around the football and also brings special teams value.

led the Dolphins on Thursday with five tackles, a sack and two tackles for a loss.

led the Dolphins on Thursday with five tackles, a sack and two tackles for a loss.

BigMeatballDave
08-16-2015, 11:28 AM
IT'S FUCKING PRESEASON. TAKE IT DOWN A 1000

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2015, 11:43 AM
First Quarter Thoughts:

1. Jamell Fleming is disappointing.
2. Wilson looks like the same guy that ended the 2014 season.
3. Still hate Avant.
4. DAT should have made that catch for a 1st down.
5. What's with Dee Ford's patty cake play? He's the opposite of physical.
6. The offensive line looks much improved. Stephenson played well.
7. Peters isn't afraid to hit.
8. Tyvon Branch is a player.
9. Welcome to KC, Justin March. The linebacker group could be special.

TEX
08-16-2015, 11:51 AM

You missed the point. The poster said, "Chase looked good surprisingly." (In his brief appearance for THIS game) So, my reasoning is and was sound (and here's the point) in that he already has looked good in spot duty, when it counted, so it stands to reason he would again. Nobody said anything about "regularly" until you mentioned it and changed the original point.

Saccopoo
08-16-2015, 11:51 AM
IT'S ****ING PRESEASON. TAKE IT DOWN A 1000

http://keirawong.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/tumblr_lw4n4bSNoH1r790gdo1_500.gif?6bec58

Reerun_KC
08-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Oh, did you see Vigil's line in the first preseason game?

BFD. Preseason you fuck tard.

TEX
08-16-2015, 11:53 AM
First Quarter Thoughts:

1. Jamell Fleming is disappointing.
2. Wilson looks like the same guy that ended the 2014 season.
3. Still hate Avant.
4. DAT should have made that catch for a 1st down.
5. What's with Dee Ford's patty cake play? He's the opposite of physical.
6. The offensive line looks much improved. Stephenson played well.
7. Peters isn't afraid to hit.
8. Tyvon Branch is a player.
9. Welcome to KC, Justin March. The linebacker group could be special.

I agree. DAT is starting to spell his name as McCluster....

Saccopoo
08-16-2015, 11:53 AM
BFD. Preseason you **** tard.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=11663412&postcount=69

TEX
08-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Alex Smith has been the QB of this team for 2 seasons and we had a winning record both seasons and people are crying about an INT in game 1 of the preseason.

You want to feel good about a preseason game 1? Go back a few years ago and watch Cassel\Hillis shred the Cards. You'll feel better for about 30 seconds

:clap: This

Reerun_KC
08-16-2015, 12:03 PM
:clap: This

But Daniels ate boogers.

ThaVirus
08-16-2015, 12:39 PM
I agree. DAT is starting to spell his name as McCluster....

Hah.

Bookmarked for future laughs.

TEX
08-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Hah.

Bookmarked for future laughs.

Please do dipshit, right next to your take about Poe being able to play early in the season. Fool. ROFL

beach tribe
08-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Please do dipshit, right next to your take about Poe being able to play early in the season. Fool. ROFL

I think that was me.....so, yeah.

Sully
08-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Uh...

So, anyway, there you go...

You use a lot of words. I wish that your football knowledge reached the same volune.

pugsnotdrugs19
08-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Dee Ford is the one I can't figure out.

I can't tell if he just needs to get better with his hands, or if he simply isn't strong enough, but he gets moved and latched onto far too easily. Flashes a great speed rush from time to time, but needs to add more to his skill set. Moses looked like a better #3 OLB option last night.

Sully
08-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Dee Ford is the one I can't figure out.

I can't tell if he just needs to get better with his hands, or if he simply isn't strong enough, but he gets moved and latched onto far too easily. Flashes a great speed rush from time to time, but needs to add more to his skill set. Moses looked like a better #3 OLB option last night.

Coming out, I remember reports said he had trouble converting speed to power. That's an issue with hips and body angle.

jonzie04
08-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Fangupo and Moses both looked really solid. I had no idea Moses was that quick. There was one play in particular where Moses and Ford both timed the snap perfectly and they were both damn near at the QB before any of the o lineman even took a step. That was the play where ford missed the tackle on the QB.

There was another play where Fangupo was lined up as a shade and he beat the c across his face and took him down and effectively took out the cutback lane, and Moses fought off a drive block and blew the running back up in the backfield.

Then the next play fangupo was lined up at 0 they ran through the a gap, fangupo stood the center up, got an arm on the ball carrier and then threw the center to the ground like a small child. Wilson Did a nice job with the read, filling the gap, and making the tackle. Also Nick Williams was lined up at 3 he did a nice job fighting across the face of the guard and getting in on the tackle, think it was a 2-3 yard gain.

I was also impressed by Tyvon Branch, he looked good in run support and in man coverage.

Hali also looked great. I'm really happy we were able to bring him back at a discount.

O.city
08-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Djln was a big fanguopo fan. He looked pretty legit

pugsnotdrugs19
08-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Coming out, I remember reports said he had trouble converting speed to power. That's an issue with hips and body angle.

Speed to power, so crucial. What Justin Houston does best, Hali great as well. Ford has to figure it out quick.