PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Possible division re-alignment in the AFC West!

pr_capone
08-18-2015, 10:11 AM
The current speculation would be that the Chargers would move to the NFC and the Cardinals would be brought into the AFCW.

http://deadspin.com/nfls-los-angeles-move-could-bring-divisional-realignmen-1724796971

If the Chargers and Raiders move to a shared stadium in Los Angeles—as currently appears to be the most likely outcome—the NFL will probably not want them continuing to share a division. That’s absolutely no problem, with both teams telling the league they’re willing to be moved if necessary.

Scheduling would be an issue with two divisional rivals in the same building, and the league would prefer to give a single market teams from two different conferences. Carmen Policy, who’s heading up the Chargers’ and Raiders’ Carson stadium plan, says the teams are amenable.

The teams have made clear to the league and NFL owners that “you send us to LA and you’ll make the decision as to who plays in what conference or division,” Policy told reporters after detailing stadium plans for business leaders and a sports group at an event in downtown Los Angeles.
The most obvious answer is to move one of the two to the NFC West—and logic says it would be the Chargers, given the Raiders’ entrenched rivalries in the AFC West. That would mean someone coming back the other way. The Seahawks were in the AFC until 2002, the last time the NFL underwent realignment, but with their recent run of success it’s hard to think of them as anything but an NFC team now. So absent any protests, a swap between the Cardinals and Chargers feels like it makes the most sense.

The Franchise
08-18-2015, 10:17 AM
Works for me.

Dante84
08-18-2015, 10:17 AM
I think a Rams - Chargers Swap makes the most sense, geographically.

St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, LA Raiders

J Diddy
08-18-2015, 10:19 AM

I'm just saying that I would love that.

Mr. Laz
08-18-2015, 10:19 AM
swap between the Cardinals and Chargers feels like it makes the most sense.works for me

jonzie04
08-18-2015, 10:20 AM

Wow that is an amazing idea.

Mr. Laz
08-18-2015, 10:21 AM

you think the league wants 2 teams that close together to also be in the same division?

:hmmm:

I wouldn't think so, although i guess the Chargers and Raiders and in the same division. :shrug:

I prefer swapping Arizona.

ModSocks
08-18-2015, 10:23 AM
First off, Carmen Policy is an idiot. Secondly, reports over the weekend make it sound like that Carson project is pretty much dead.

Carmen Policy let the cat out the bag that the Carson stadium wouldn't even be ready til 2019....assuming there's no delays or lawsuits of course. And the Charger's deal in San Diego is year to year at the moment. Gonna have a lame duck team for 3 years? Good luck with that. Gonna think the City would be willing to continue paying 14million a year just so the Chargers can have a temporary home? Yeah....no.

On top of that, there's only one stadium in L.A willing to give an NFL team a temporary home....so how are you going to relocate two teams?

Benjamin Albright has called the project DOA. It looks like the Rams are poised to relocate.

Dante84
you think the league wants 2 teams that close together to also be in the same division?

I wouldn't think so, although i guess the Chargers and Raiders and in the same division. :shrug:

STL is a perennial dumpster fire with shitty fan support, thus making our away game easier.

I'd like them in the division.

J Diddy

St. Louis and KC already have a sports rivalry in place because of baseball. Smart marketing, IMO.

philfree
08-18-2015, 10:24 AM
I think sharing a stadium is a terrible idea. They should move one of the two teams to London./sarc

Pablo
08-18-2015, 10:24 AM

St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, LA RaidersOur team already has to visit one absolute shithole every year for the Raiders. I don't want them to have to make the trip into St. Ferguson as well.

Cards sounds fine.

Mr. Laz
08-18-2015, 10:25 AM
STL is a perennial dumpster fire with shitty fan support, thus making our away game easier.

I'd like them in the division.

LMAO

I wasn't looking at it from a perspective of making our division easier.

The Franchise
08-18-2015, 10:27 AM
First off, Carmen Policy is an idiot. Secondly, reports over the weekend make it sound like that Carson project is pretty much dead.

Carmen Policy let the cat out the bag that the Carson stadium wouldn't even be ready til 2019....assuming there's no delays or lawsuits of course. And the Charger's deal in San Diego is year to year at the moment. Gonna have a lame duck team for 3 years? Good luck with that. Gonna think the City would be willing to continue paying 14million a year just so the Chargers can have a temporary home? Yeah....no.

On top of that, there's only one stadium in L.A willing to give an NFL team a temporary home....so how are you going to relocate two teams?

Benjamin Albright has called the project DOA. It looks like the Rams are poised to relocate.

San Antonio has said that they'll be a temporary home for the Raiders if need be.

jonzie04
08-18-2015, 10:27 AM

Look at how close the AFC and NFC north teams are.

Chief Roundup
08-18-2015, 10:28 AM
The NFL has also made sure that each state with two teams has one in each conference.

Reerun_KC
08-18-2015, 10:28 AM
KC, Denver, Dallas and STL...

That way we could pretty much travel to all away games...

OR swap Dallas for the San Antonio Radiers....

Pablo
08-18-2015, 10:29 AM

OR swap Dallas for the San Antonio Radiers....Jesus. We already have one of the most cocksuckingest fanbases in our division and you want to add the Cowboys? Fuck that. And nobody wants to travel to Ferguson. That's the Oakland of MO.

CleveSteve
08-18-2015, 10:30 AM

Same distance between Cleveland and Cincinnati. Almost twice as far apart as Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I think the league likes those teams together.

Mr. Laz
The NFL has also made sure that each state with two teams has one in each conference.

I would think that the NFL would want to have it that way.

Expose the state to both conferences :shrug:

whatever....

CleveSteve

O - H?

J Diddy
08-18-2015, 10:31 AM
San Antonio has said that they'll be a temporary home for the Raiders if need be.

Bless them San Antonians. Don't they know how much damage 1 football team can do?

Their cattle raped, their women beaten...

ModSocks
08-18-2015, 10:32 AM

Of course. That's because the NFL is ready to use San Antonio as the next bargaining chip to pressure cities into paying for these billion dollar structures once L.A is off the table.

As soon as the Rams are given the green light to move to L.A, you'll hear about how the Raiders and Chargers are now working out a deal with San Antonio....and then every fucking team thereafter as well. Same exact way they used L.A to gain leverage.

:rolleyes:

J Diddy
08-18-2015, 10:32 AM
O - H?

ROFL

That's awesome!

wazu
08-18-2015, 10:35 AM
I don't want to see a change. AFC West has a long history and strong rivalries. That said, if we swapped Chargers for St. Louis KC fans would descend on St. Louis every year and make them hate us so much. That could be a lot of fun.

Reerun_KC
08-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Jesus. We already have one of the most cocksuckingest fanbases in our division and you want to add the Cowboys? **** that. And nobody wants to travel to Ferguson. That's the Oakland of MO.

Well I wasn't thinking so much about the cock sucking as I was the easy of travel to games...

I am 2.45 from Arlington, 5.30 from KC, 7 1/2 from STL and 9 from Denver...

Flights to Denver, STL and Dallas...

Not sure about San Antonio.. I think they are 8 hours...

ModSocks
08-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Hell, i still remember when the topic of the Chiefs moving to L.A was brought up before the Arrowhead renovations. LMAO

Of course no one bought into that crap.

Discuss Thrower
08-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Buffalo to AFC North, Jaguars to AFC East, Baltimore to AFC South.

Rams and Chargers move to LA.

Why? Because fuck you.

Or because TV audiences.

ChiefGator
08-18-2015, 10:54 AM
Give us back the Seahawks!

eDave
08-18-2015, 10:57 AM
I'll take a Cards/Chiefs game every year. Hell yaw.

TEX
08-18-2015, 10:59 AM
I'd like to keep the AFL roots in tact. IMO, they should never break up KC, Den, OAK and SD. History and tradition should mean something and be preserved. Plenty of other things can change. Just my take.

aturnis
08-18-2015, 11:00 AM
I would think that the NFL would want to have it that way.

Expose the state to both conferences :shrug:

whatever....

How does exposing a state to both conferences benefit the NFL?

srvy
08-18-2015, 11:11 AM
I'd like to keep the AFL roots in tact. IMO, they should never break up KC, Den, OAK and SD. History and tradition should mean something and be preserved. Plenty of other things can change. Just my take.

^^^
This.

mdchiefsfan
08-18-2015, 11:14 AM

This. Houston-Dallas, Washington-Baltimore, Jets-Giants, etc.

MMXcalibur
08-18-2015, 11:45 AM

The NFL shits on your thoughts of history and tradition.
Won't be long before the NFL plays 50% of its schedule in other countries and there are ads on jerseys.

Dante84
08-18-2015, 11:49 AM
This. Houston-Dallas, Washington-Baltimore, Jets-Giants, etc.

Cleveland-Cincinatti...

Oh, wait.

J Diddy
08-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Cleveland-Cincinatti...

Oh, wait.

Post 21 was a more clever take on that...

Dante84
08-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Post 21 was a more clever take on that...

Agreed. Our friend glossed over it, so rather than steal someone else's joke, I thought the proper thing to do was call it out on its own.

Chief Roundup
08-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Cleveland-Cincinatti...

Oh, wait.

Oh you mean there was this exception way back when the league first was starting up.
It is an anomaly, an outlier. The exception to the rule before it was a rule kind of thing.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-18-2015, 12:11 PM
If they did the SD for St Louis swap, it would then give us a additional home game every year

Dante84
08-18-2015, 12:13 PM
Oh you mean there was this exception way back when the league first was starting up.
It is an anomaly, an outlier. The exception to the rule before it was a rule kind of thing.

Where does this "rule" exist? Just curious.

Chief Roundup
08-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Where does this "rule" exist? Just curious.

Notice the "kind of thing" there? I have no idea if there is a "rule" in place. It only makes sense that the owners have some agreement about stuff like that for legal necessities and there is the fact that is how it is in the league currently. Maybe it is all just by chance but when you are talking about a $9 Billion dollar a year business there is not much of anything left to chance.

Dante84
08-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Notice the "kind of thing" there? I have no idea if there is a "rule" in place. It only makes sense that the owners have some agreement about stuff like that for legal necessities and there is the fact that is how it is in the league currently. Maybe it is all just by chance but when you are talking about a $9 Billion dollar a year business there is not much of anything left to chance.

Oh, okay. So there's not a rule against that.

Also, if we want to look at states with three teams, obviously there's 2 from the same conference. So its not without precedent, and hardly a rule at all.

States with 2 teams in the same conference: 4
California: 49ers (NFC) Oakland + San Diego (AFC)
New York: Giants (NFC) Bills + Jets (AFC)
Florida: Bucs (NFC) Miami + Jacksonville (AFC)
Ohio: Cincy + Cleveland (AFC)

States with only 2 teams in opposite conferences: 3
Pennsylvania: Eagles / Steelers
Texas: Texans / Cowboys
Missouri: Chiefs / Rams

Skins and Ravens aren't both in Maryland. Skins are in DC.

Bewbies
08-18-2015, 12:41 PM
You just can't break up DEN OAK SD and KC. That's way too much tradition.

Can't move CHI, GB, DET, MIN / DAL, NYG, PHI, DC / CLE, PIT, CIN either. Fuck Baltimore.

vailpass
08-18-2015, 12:45 PM

Fuck that fly over nonsense. Denver, KC, Oak, Arizona would be best for the West in terms of marketing, geographic representation, and me getting to see afc west games in my town...

donkhater
08-18-2015, 12:47 PM

Then I would say it's a pretty stupid rule. Anything to stoke passion in your customer base would be seen as a good thing I would imagine. StL-KC would be an instantaneous must win for both fan bases.

Discuss Thrower
08-18-2015, 12:54 PM
If they did the SD for St Louis swap, it would then give us a additional home game every year

Dude you know if that happened there'd be a wonderful alignment of London games such that KC and STL both lose home game in the same year.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2015, 01:06 PM

This. All of this.

Carson will never happen. Kroenke to Inglewood.

The Franchise
08-18-2015, 01:08 PM
Can we just get the Raiders out of Oakland please? Then I won't have to see half of the bullshit Raider fans around here anymore. They'll all go back to being 49ers fans.

RealSNR
08-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Can we just get the Raiders out of the NFL please? Then I won't have to see half of the bullshit Raider fans around here anymore. They'll all go back to being 49ers fans.

FYP

RealSNR
08-18-2015, 01:18 PM
Fuck that fly over nonsense. Denver, KC, Oak, Arizona would be best for the West in terms of marketing, geographic representation, and me getting to see afc west games in my town...

That is until the Bidwells run the Arizona franchise into the ground again.

Ming the Merciless
08-18-2015, 01:24 PM
I'm not really sure how I feel about this....

If I had to pick one team to go, it 100% WOULD be the chargers...but IN general I am against change....

Arizona...meh. I would rather have St. Louis as others have said but I guess it doesnt really matter if the chargers leave we will just have to begin hatred of whoever enters our lair.

Dante84
08-18-2015, 01:32 PM
I sure as fuck don't want the Seahawks back in the division.

Garcia Bronco
08-18-2015, 01:37 PM
WTF would they need to move anything? This is dumb

luv
08-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Funny, the Rams moving back to LA was likely to happen, as well. Now these two teams moving to LA to share a stadium is the likely scenario?

Chief Roundup
08-18-2015, 01:38 PM

Also, if we want to look at states with three teams, obviously there's 2 from the same conference. So its not without precedent, and hardly a rule at all.

Duh you can't have an odd number of teams and have the same number on either side. If they had 4 and 3 were in the same conference you might have a point.

Garcia Bronco
08-18-2015, 01:39 PM

the Skins play in Maryland...Landover

Rain Man
08-18-2015, 01:55 PM
If both teams play each other twice a year, you'd have to arbitrarily decide which game is a home game and which game is a road game so the fans would know which way to stab.

vailpass
08-18-2015, 01:58 PM
That is until the Bidwells run the Arizona franchise into the ground again.

Bidwell Sr. is out, Jr. Is in and he's good. Note the recent playoff wins and SB appearance. They sure as hell are a more attractive option than St. Louis. Trading SD for STL would be trading beach front property for section 8 housing...

wazu
08-18-2015, 02:08 PM
Bidwell Sr. is out, Jr. Is in and he's good. Note the recent playoff wins and SB appearance. They sure as hell are a more attractive option than St. Louis. Trading SD for STL would be trading beach front property for section 8 housing...

More attractive to Denver, yes. For KC we already have a pretty strong rivalry with St. Louis and it's a 4 hour road trip. It really would be like adding a home game.

TimeForWasp
08-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Add 4 expansion teams for the European division.

Valiant
08-18-2015, 02:19 PM
They just need to say fuck and redo all of the divisions and conferences. I am all for the natural rivalries.

Seahawks NFC West
49ers
Chargers
Raiders

Cards AFC Central
Donks
Chiefs
Rams

Cowboys NFC South
Texans
Saints
Titans

Vikings AFC North
Packers
Bears
Lions

Dolphins AFC South
Bucs
Jags
Falcons

Colts NFC Central
Bengals
Browns
Steelers

Panthers NFC East
Ravens
Eagles
Skins

Bills AFC East
Jets
Giants
Pats

KChiefs1
08-18-2015, 02:33 PM

I'd buy that.

Dante84
08-18-2015, 02:43 PM
the Skins play in Maryland...Landover

They claim DC, though.

Giants and Jets are NYC teams but play in NJ.

Dante84
08-18-2015, 02:46 PM
I am all for the natural rivalries.

Seahawks NFC West
49ers
Chargers
Raiders

Cards AFC Central
Donks
Chiefs
Rams

Raiders and Chiefs aren't natural rivals?

BigChiefFan
08-18-2015, 02:49 PM
I'd exchange the Raiders and the Chargers for the Rams and the Cardinals. Geographically both make more sense.

suzzer99
08-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Can we just get the Raiders out of Oakland please? Then I won't have to see half of the bullshit Raider fans around here anymore. They'll all go back to being 49ers fans.

And move them to my neighborhood? No thanks!

mdchiefsfan
08-18-2015, 04:13 PM

Fed Ex Field
1600 Fed Ex Way
Hyattsville, MD 20785

Valiant
08-18-2015, 05:31 PM
Raiders and Chiefs aren't natural rivals?

natural in geographic

2bikemike
08-18-2015, 05:34 PM

There are Raider Bangers all up and down the coast, They are like cock roaches you can't get rid of them.

And move them to my neighborhood? No thanks!

Come on man you know your hood is loaded with Raider fans. Just like they are south of you in our hood.

Tribal Warfare
08-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Bring the Seahawks back to the AFC West problem solved

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-18-2015, 06:12 PM

OR swap Dallas for the San Antonio Radiers....

I would LOVE Dallas to be in this division. But won't happen.

Just like we'll never get rid of Oak due to tradition.

Now, you go Den-SD-SEA-KC.

Would force KC to become tougher and more 'ship-worthy.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Bring the Seahawks back to the AFC West problem solved

This. Get tough or die trying.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Funny, the Rams moving back to LA was likely to happen, as well. Now these two teams moving to LA to share a stadium is the likely scenario?

It's posturing. The Rams will end up in LA because Kroenke bought the land and will privately finance the stadium. That's all but certain.

The Carson location will not happen. It's a pipe dream. I don't think it'll pass the environmental reports because the stadium literally would sit on a toxic dump site.

The Chargers *may* move to LA but I think that's highly unlikely.

SDChiefs
08-18-2015, 06:43 PM
They just need to say fuck and redo all of the divisions and conferences. I am all for the natural rivalries.

Seahawks NFC West
49ers
Chargers
Raiders

Cards AFC Central
Donks
Chiefs
Rams

Cowboys NFC South
Texans
Saints
Titans

Vikings AFC North
Packers
Bears
Lions

Dolphins AFC South
Bucs
Jags
Falcons

Colts NFC Central
Bengals
Browns
Steelers

Panthers NFC East
Ravens
Eagles
Skins

Bills AFC East
Jets
Giants
Pats

Missing afc west and nfc north. Horrible idea.

vailpass
08-18-2015, 06:44 PM
More attractive to Denver, yes. For KC we already have a pretty strong rivalry with St. Louis and it's a 4 hour road trip. It really would be like adding a home game.

To the rest of the league/networks AZ is a much more attractive market and team.
St Louis? Ugh...

Brock
08-18-2015, 07:01 PM
To the rest of the league/networks AZ is a much more attractive market and team.
St Louis? Ugh...

The rams are not staying in stl.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2015, 07:14 PM
LA, SF, Phoenix and Seattle will be a great division.

I really hope that St. Louis gets one of the AFC West teams because the rivalry, whether its they Raiders or Chargers, would be awesome, IMO.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Raiders to San Antonio? City willing to host team on temporary basis

Los Angeles might not be the only option for the Raiders potential relocation in 2016.

Thanks to San Antonio, it looks like the Raiders now have a second option open to them that doesn't involve staying in Oakland.

The Mayor of San Antonio, Ivy Taylor, said over the weekend that her city would be willing to serve as the Raiders home if the team decides to move to LA, but needs a place to play until a new stadium is built.

"We would be open to that," Taylor told the San Antonio Express-News. "We are already making improvements over there for the (2018) Final Four, so we would be open to that."

The reason the Raiders might need a place to play is because the earliest an LA stadium would potentially open is 2018.

The Inglewood stadium plan, which is being pushed by Rams owner Stan Kroenke, could be open in time for the 2018 season. The Carson stadium plan, which involves the Raiders and Chargers, likely wouldn't be finished until 2019 at the earliest.

If two teams were to announce a move to LA, the city might not be able to handle both of them right away.

The Rose Bowl has already announced that it has no interest in hosting a temporary NFL team, meaning the LA Coliseum is the only stadium that has publicly stated it would be willing to host a temporary team.

So if two teams move, one of them might need a viable temporary location and that's where San Antonio would come in.

"I think it would give NFL fans here the experience of having a team here locally and it would further highlight the assets of San Antonio to the NFL," Taylor said. "Should there be any expansion or other moves, it lets the NFL know San Antonio is a viable option."

Wherever the Raiders end up, it's looking less and less like it's going to be Oakland.

After the NFL's relocation meeting on Aug. 11, NFL executive vice president Eric Grubman said that Oakland had "no viable proposal to keep the Raiders.

"The Oakland Raiders have great fans. The facts on the ground are there's been no viable proposal that's been made to the Raiders," Grubman said. "We've said one thing consistently to any of the markets and it really rests on a couple of pillars. One of them the proposal has to be specific. The second is it has to be attractive to a team. And the third is it has to be actionable."

San Antonio might be a long shot to host the Raiders, but at this point, it seems like Oakland is too.

The Raiders one-year lease with Oakland expires at the end of the 2015 season. Teams are allowed to apply for relocation between January 1, 2016 and Feb. 15, 2016, although it's believed that the league will soon shrink that window.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25272633/raiders-to-san-antonio-city-willing-to-host-team-on-temporary-basis

suzzer99
08-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Come on man you know your hood is loaded with Raider fans. Just like they are south of you in our hood.

They are fairly dormant. I don't want to re-awaken them.

I live in Redondo Beach so the proposed Carson stadium would be right in my backyard.

GloucesterChief
08-18-2015, 08:13 PM
The Rams will move to LA. Either the Chargers or Raiders will pay Kroneke rent to play in his stadium.

Psyko Tek
08-18-2015, 10:25 PM

the AFC west, NFC east, and NFC north should never be fucked with
these are to good of rivalries

Rausch
08-18-2015, 10:33 PM
The Rams will move to LA. Either the Chargers or Raiders will pay Kroneke rent to play in his stadium.

I'd full nut if the Rams moved to LA and the Raiders moved to STL.

I know it won't happen but the butthurt would be HUGE...

tk13
08-18-2015, 10:41 PM
It's funny that the main reason it wouldn't be the Seahawks is because they're just too good now. I get it, but really it shouldn't matter.

stevieray
08-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Don't all the owners have to approve any move?

scho63
08-19-2015, 03:49 PM
This has zero interest for me. I like the AFC West just the way it is.

DaneMcCloud
08-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Don't all the owners have to approve any move?

Yes but not in reality.

Kroenke has enough money to challenge the league in court. The Chargers and Raiders owners do not.

That said, the Chargers and Raiders do not have a stadium lease agreement after the 2015 season, so the door is slightly open for a move. The Chargers would have to pay San Diego $17.6 million dollars to leave.

The Raiders still owe the Oakland City Council $400k for last year's lease and are currently under contract for the 2015 season. They'd have to seek NFL approval because Mark Davis has zero wealth outside of Raiders ownership.

Valiant
08-19-2015, 04:01 PM
the AFC west, NFC east, and NFC north should never be ****ed with
these are to good of rivalries

Does not really bother me. Some semblance would be kept.

Mile High Mania
08-19-2015, 04:22 PM
I know two Chargers fans... and that rivalry to me, enh... not really there, never has been. I'm fine with the Chargers leaving. Raiders have to stay though.

ThaVirus
08-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Division and conference realignments don't faze me in the least.

You could replace the Raiders and Broncos and I'd still hate those cheater and criminal fucks.