PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Basement flooring options

DC.chief
08-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Say you had a townhouse and a water leak damaged the already shitty carpet you have in the basement. You then rip the carpet out but you don't know what type of flooring you want to replace it with. What type do you go with? Keep in mind you have 2 90lb dogs that roam that basement during the day.

Perineum Ripper
08-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Go with dirt..easier to bury the dead hookers

thabear04
08-18-2015, 03:01 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nN3CZolfRJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DC.chief
08-18-2015, 03:02 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nN3CZolfRJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's exactly what I need

DC.chief
08-18-2015, 03:04 PM

Great point, dogs may dig up dead hookers however so i'll have to dispose of said hookers in another manner

Halfcan
08-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Damn Pughsley is a Beast! Looks like Poe's little bro.

LoneWolf
08-18-2015, 03:08 PM
With the dogs, I'd go with a laminate flooring or tile.

Halfcan
08-18-2015, 03:10 PM
You can tear the carpet out and use a concrete stain on the basement floor - should not be damaged from future water leaks. Probably work better than paint since your dog might scratch it up.

Go with large ceramic floor tile-but your dog might scratch them.

Stain is the cheapest option.

ChiTown
08-18-2015, 03:13 PM
I had seepage issues at my house in Chicago. I pulled up the carpet and went with tile and throw rugs. Still had the seepage issues, but a hell of a lot easier to maintain than carpet.

Go with tile - especially with the dogs

ChiTown
08-18-2015, 03:14 PM
You can tear the carpet out and use a concrete stain on the basement floor - should not be damaged from future water leaks. Probably work better than paint since your dog might scratch it up.

Go with large ceramic floor tile-but your dog might scratch them.

Stain is the cheapest option.

Stained cement - GREAT IDEA!

My neighbors have that in their basement and it looks great

jjchieffan
08-18-2015, 03:30 PM
I have a basement and I plan to go with etched concrete at some point. It looks really good. Do a Google image search

Mr. Laz
08-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Painted and textured concrete?

mikeyis4dcats.
08-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Lvt or plank

Stewie
08-18-2015, 03:34 PM
If looks aren't on the top of the list, install a good indoor/outdoor carpet. It covers imperfections and won't mold/mildew if it gets wet once in a while. It's cheap, too.

Halfcan
08-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Stained cement - GREAT IDEA!

My neighbors have that in their basement and it looks great

I had some of the same issues with my old house- I stained the floor and it looked great. There is a lot you can do with it for a very good price.

Here is a few pics from a google search that I found-very cool stuff.

Hopefully his carpet pad was not glued down- that sucks to fix.

Ming the Merciless
08-18-2015, 03:41 PM
I dont know how stained cement compares with LVT (price wise), but I would consider LVT for sure.

Its water proof, fairly indestructable so the dogs can't scratch it...and its fairly easy to lay down.

I think you could find pretty serviceable options that look like either tile or wood for around $2.50 / Sq.Ft.

From what I have been hearing, LVT is pretty much going to replace laminates because it holds up so much better.

Im sure stained cement would be awesome too, but I have no experience with it.

Good luck!

Kaepernick
08-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Race Deck plastic tile.

http://www.racedeck.com/?crtag=value&gclid=CNjM197Us8cCFQUOaQodLgsGMQ

Rain Man
08-18-2015, 04:22 PM

Yeah, you don't want to go with concrete. The re-poured areas are a big red flag during police searches.

displacedinMN
08-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Drain tile the basement

heater under any thing you put down

scho63
08-18-2015, 05:33 PM
I would lay down the new radiant heat pad first, then self leveling agent and then go with tile.

I hate laminate but it would be second option with a very good underlayment, not the crappy default stuff. Also upgraded laminate, not thin crap or else you will freeze.

notorious
08-18-2015, 05:40 PM
http://www.karndean.com/en/floors/look/wood-flooring/dark-wood-tones?link=mm

Vinyl tile that looks very nice.

Buehler445
08-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Depends on what you have down there. If it isn't living space I would do epoxy paint.

We put the industrial rustoleum in our shop and it is really good. You have to have the concrete super clean and then put on some acid to etch it, but it is great shit. You can squeegee water off of it and the epoxy makes basically a solid surface.

Brock
08-18-2015, 08:37 PM
Cheap carpet. Because it's cheap and who gives a crap if your basement leaks again.

BWillie
08-18-2015, 09:51 PM
How much does interior stained concrete cost anyway? I really like the look of it, but I don't know much about it. How long it lasts, how resilient it is to water etc

JohnnyHammersticks
08-18-2015, 10:46 PM
I think the practical thing to do would be to leave the bare concrete, hang some lights, and start growing pot.

DC.chief
08-19-2015, 06:54 AM
I had some of the same issues with my old house- I stained the floor and it looked great. There is a lot you can do with it for a very good price.

Here is a few pics from a google search that I found-very cool stuff.

Hopefully his carpet pad was not glued down- that sucks to fix.

The padding wasn't glued down. Hardly had any padding at all actually. The problem with the stained concrete is the concrete is damaged in a couple spots. The carpet tack strips were nailed down and it pulled up some of the concrete when removing them and there is a crack in one corner. I know that stuff can be repaired though

DC.chief
08-19-2015, 06:58 AM
I would lay down the new radiant heat pad first, then self leveling agent and then go with tile.

I hate laminate but it would be second option with a very good underlayment, not the crappy default stuff. Also upgraded laminate, not thin crap or else you will freeze.

Radiant heat pad? now we're talking. That was my hesitation in using tile. The basement is my man cave and I spend a good bit of time there in the evenings and I'd rather not have cold floors. I need to research heated flooring I guess, I know little about it

mikeyis4dcats.
08-19-2015, 07:36 AM
How much does interior stained concrete cost anyway? I really like the look of it, but I don't know much about it. How long it lasts, how resilient it is to water etc

Depends on type of stain, prep work, etc. In a commercial setting, the cost runs $5-9/sf.

I personally stained the floor of a liquor store we built to familiarize myself with the process. Used a water based stain, on exterior work or somewhere with good ventilation acid stain is better. It's not a difficult process, just takes some practice.