PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Kerkhoff:Fred Williams took unconventional career path to end zone

Tribal Warfare
08-18-2015, 05:40 PM
Chiefs receiver Fred Williams took unconventional career path to end zone (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article31433690.html)
By BLAIR KERKHOFF

As Saturday’s preseason opener was unfolding and wide receiver Fred Williams made plays and hung up numbers, Chiefs assistant head coach David Culley was nodding. Williams had done his job.

“He was in a position to get some opportunities and made the most of them,” said Culley, who also oversees the wide receivers. “Not everybody does that.”

Which makes roster decisions easier. But this one looms as a toughie for the Chiefs. Williams has been superb in camp. So has Frankie Hammond and Da’Ron Brown. Each caught a touchdown pass from Chase Daniel against the Arizona Cardinals.

This from an offense that didn’t produce a scoring pass to a wide receiver last season.

If five wide receivers are leaders for roster spots — Jeremy Maclin, Albert Wilson, De’Anthony Thomas, Jason Avant and Chris Conley — the three who reached the end zone Saturday appear to be battling for one or two spots.

None of the candidates has taken a more unconventional path to the NFL than Williams.

He was two-star prospect out of South High in Waukesha, Wis. That got him to St. Cloud State, a Division II program in Minnesota, where Williams set school records for career receptions and receiving yards.

Undrafted, Williams attended an Arena League tryout camp and, after an impressive workout, signed with the San Jose SaberCats. In two indoor seasons, he caught 137 passes and scored 32 touchdowns. His agent worked the phones, and the Chiefs answered. Williams spent last season on the practice squad and now yearns to be one of 53.

“Coming from a small school you have to work 10 times harder,” Williams said. “You have work really, really hard to show people you belong at this level.”

As the reserves battled each other, Williams proved he belonged against the Cardinals. He finished with six receptions for 82 yards — five produced first downs or a touchdown — both team highs in the 34-19 victory.

All of the production occurred in the second quarter, including Williams’ scoring reception over the middle from 13 yards.

“My first NFL touchdown,” Williams said. “A dream come true. The first person I called was my mom in Milwaukee.”

Rather, called her back.

“She left me about one thousand messages,” Williams said.

The game continued what has been a solid camp for the 27-year-old Williams. Andy Reid calls him an “energy-giver” to the field and in the locker room, and “the more he plays in this offense the better he gets.”

The productive camp and effort on Saturday was a year in the making.

“You see guys like Fred and Chase, taking what they’ve been taught, translating it to the field, that’s what you want to see in these games,” Chiefs offensive coordinator Doug Pederson said.

Williams took advantage of Conley’s absence. Some of Williams’ reps would have gone to the third-round draft selection from Georgia.

Conley will return this week, and typically the first team plays longer in the second preseason game. All Williams and the other candidates can do is cash in when they step on the field.

Then keep fingers crossed when the roster gets trimmed. Williams has a shot.

“He’s really improved from last year,” Culley said. “He’s familiar with what we’re doing, has good hands, runs well.”

As for his or any of the other candidates of making the squad, more opportunities away.

“It always works itself out,” Culley said. “Injuries happen, other things happen. When we get down to that point, it kind of sets itself, so we let it play out. That’s the beauty of four preseason games. By the end of the last one we’ll know. And they’ll all have had the opportunity to let us know.”

Mr. Laz
08-18-2015, 05:46 PM
He looked good.

Need to to start getting these guys some reps against the #1, without screwing shit up.

MotherfuckerJones
08-18-2015, 05:52 PM
I'm curious to see how some of these guys do again Friday night

thabear04
08-18-2015, 06:53 PM
He looked good.

Need to to start getting these guys some reps against the #1, without screwing shit up.

<blockquote class="twitter-video" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Alex Smith to Fred Williams. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefsCamp?src=hash">#ChiefsCamp</a> <a href="http://t.co/ecEbWeAEse">pic.twitter.com/ecEbWeAEse</a></p>&mdash; BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChiefsReporter/status/633647378159919104">August 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2015, 07:01 PM
He's a player, despite what the dipshits that haven't watched him play have said.

I'm excited to see him on Friday against Seattle.

Sorter
08-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Would keep.

Brock
08-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Is wr suddenly a position of strength? No way!

KCrockaholic
08-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Is wr suddenly a position of strength? No way!

Nope.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Would keep.

Yep.

Avant. Would cut.

KCrockaholic
08-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Yep.

Avant. Would cut.

Avant is the smartest route runner on the team aside from Maclin. He might be slow, but he'll have a knack for getting open and understanding zones and body positioning.

The WRs should be Maclin, Wilson, DAT, Avant, Conley, Williams.

MotherfuckerJones
08-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Would keep.

What they mean stay flat?

MotherfuckerJones
08-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Yep.

Avant. Would cut.

That's what I'm hoping for. Maclin, Wilson, DAT, Conley, Williams, Brown.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2015, 08:15 PM
Avant is the smartest route runner on the team aside from Maclin. He might be slow, but he'll have a knack for getting open and understanding zones and body positioning.

The WRs should be Maclin, Wilson, DAT, Avant, Conley, Williams.
Avant is slow and old

Chiefaholic
08-18-2015, 08:18 PM
1. Maclin
2. Wilson
3. DAT
4. Conley
5. Williams
6. Brown

KCrockaholic
08-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Avant is slow and old

Yeah, I know. But it doesn't mean he can't fit in with the offense on occasions. He should by no means be a starter, but he'd be a fine 3rd down guy. It's not like we're loaded at WR and have to cut him to make room for a potential stud.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2015, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I know. But it doesn't mean he can't fit in with the offense on occasions. He should by no means be a starter, but he'd be a fine 3rd down guy. It's not like we're loaded at WR and have to cut him to make room for a potential stud.

How do you know if their loaded? Did you miss Da'Ron Brown Saturday night? Or Williams or even Hammond?

I'd take all of them over Avant.

Fuck the old broke dicks.

KCrockaholic
08-18-2015, 08:42 PM
How do you know if their loaded? Did you miss Da'Ron Brown Saturday night? Or Williams or even Hammond?

**** the old broke dicks.

Not impressed with Hammond. He's just a fast guy. Brown is a solid football player, but at this stage should be practice squad material although I will say he has more natural hands than Conley does. If Williams can play special teams then he definitely deserves a spot. Avant plays special teams. Avant will make the team anyways though. Just come to the realization of it.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Not impressed with Hammond. He's just a fast guy. Brown is a solid football player, but at this stage should be practice squad material although I will say he has more natural hands than Conley does. If Williams can play special teams then he definitely deserves a spot. Avant plays special teams. Avant will make the team anyways though. Just come to the realization of it.

Brown won't make it through waivers.

Avant is garbage.

KCrockaholic
08-18-2015, 08:46 PM

Avant is garbage.

You don't think so? I think he would. But that's fine.

MotherfuckerJones
08-18-2015, 09:05 PM

Avant is garbage.

I loved Brown underneath. I'm hoping he turns into a good slot receiver and makes his money underneath.

notorious
08-18-2015, 09:32 PM
Avant Jason to be cut.

Buehler445
08-18-2015, 10:07 PM
They're for sure only keeping 5? Any chance they only roll with 2 te?

thabear04
08-18-2015, 10:25 PM

Think they will go with 3 TE Gordon will be the 3rd.

Titty Meat
08-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Avant is the Vrabel of WRs

Rausch
08-19-2015, 12:09 AM

Only he'll actually see some playing time, not cry like a bitch, not pu$$y out before the season, and show up when the games are played.

Other than that exactly the same...

mdchiefsfan
08-19-2015, 05:13 AM

**** the old broke dicks.

It's going to be a tough choice, which is a good problem to have. There does seem to be more movement on the depth chart than in years past, which bodes well for the young guys. They will have certainly earned it if Avant is cut.

J Diddy
08-19-2015, 05:27 AM

Funny thing is, yesterday, that occurred to me as well.

ChiefGator
08-19-2015, 07:32 AM

I expect 6 WRs.

MotherfuckerJones
08-19-2015, 07:40 AM
I expect 6 WRs.

Ya. Everything I've heard is 6 WRs.

Hammock Parties
08-20-2015, 08:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/okFpLqn.gif

Titty Meat
08-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Only he'll actually see some playing time, not cry like a bitch, not pu$$y out before the season, and show up when the games are played.

Other than that exactly the same...

Some playing time? Wasn't Vrabel a starter for 2 years? He was a waste of a roster spot just like Avant is and fans use the term "a coach on the field" which is a code word for washed up veteran.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2015, 10:24 PM
It's going to be a tough choice, which is a good problem to have. There does seem to be more movement on the depth chart than in years past, which bodes well for the young guys. They will have certainly earned it if Avant is cut.

It should be an easy decision.

Avant sucks.

Titty Meat
08-20-2015, 10:28 PM
You have to wonder why Avant was cut from Carolina a team who's wrs are just as bad as the Chiefs

Titty Meat
08-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Lol just read he was cut for questioning the team's play calling. What a great player coach to have.

Hammock Parties
08-20-2015, 10:37 PM
You have to wonder why Avant was cut from Carolina a team who's wrs are just as bad as the Chiefs

Our WRs are bad asses dude.

Maclin = top 5 WR
Wilson = Steve Smith
DAT = Wes Welker
Conley = Dez Bryant