PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs digest. What to watch for in the Seattle game.

Iowanian
08-20-2015, 09:49 PM
http://www.chiefsdigest.com/what-to-watch-in-seahawks-chiefs-preseason-game/

What to watch in Seahawks-Chiefs preseason game
Posted in Featured, Preseason By Herbie Teope+ On August 20, 2015 Print article

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Chiefs wrapped up training camp Wednesday and now shift focus to the three remaining preseason contests, starting Friday night against the Seattle Seahawks at Arrowhead Stadium.

Starters are expected to see more action than the preseason opener, where the first-team offense played in three series and the first-team defense played in one series against the Arizona Cardinals.

Aug. 15, 2015; Glendale, AZ; Chiefs rookie center Mitch Morse (61) during the first half of the preseason opener against the Arizona Cardinals. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)
Aug. 15, 2015; Glendale, AZ; Chiefs rookie center Mitch Morse (61) during the first half of the preseason opener against the Arizona Cardinals. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)

“What we’ll do with the rotation is we’ll get somewhere close to a half with the ones,” coach Andy Reid said of Friday night’s plan, “and then we’ll put in the twos and threes after that.”

With extended playing time comes important evaluation leading to the third preseason game, which is widely regarded as the dress rehearsal for the regular season.

Here are areas to monitor Friday night:

FLUID MOVEMENT

The Chiefs experienced another round of rotations on the offensive line in the final days of training camp after seeing left tackle Eric Fisher (high-ankle sprain) and right tackle Jeff Allen (knee) suffer injuries.

Fisher’s and Allen’s injuries are obviously bad news.

The good news, however, is the Chiefs have serviceable depth compared to 2014 when Ryan Harris signed days before start of training camp and Mike McGlynn signed after third preseason game.

“This is a very deep group, a lot of good, hungry talented guys,” offensive line coach Andy Heck said. “I’m very pleased how they’re all coming out to work and better themselves individually, not just to battle to be one of those five guys – be one of the seven up on game day, be one of the nine or 10 or eight or how many we keep that’s on this football team. It’s a process we’re still going through and the guys are doing a real nice job with it.”

Two-time Pro Bowl left guard Ben Grubbs is a mainstay, while the absence of Fisher and Allen, who suffered his injury in the preseason opener, caused a reshuffle of the front five.

Tackle Donald Stephenson, who gave way to Allen, returned to the first-team offense in place of Allen, but then shifted to the left when Fisher went down Monday.

Jarrod Pughsley saw action at right tackle Monday and Tuesday, before Paul Fanaika took first-team repetition in place of Pughsley, who returned to the second team.

Second-year pro Laurent Duvernay-Tardif took over at right guard for Zach Fulton, who started the preseason opener at the position.

Rookie Mitch Morse continued to man center since taking over that role from Eric Kush last week.

The Chiefs would like to settle the starting unit sooner than later, especially when considering starters hardly see the field in the final preseason game.

So, Friday night’s personnel grouping could go a long way in determining who plays a large role in the third preseason contest against the Tennessee Titans on Aug. 28 in the event Fisher and Allen aren’t ready.

“You have to, I think by the time you get to your third week when your starters are playing a lot, three quarters, you should have that ironed out,” offensive coordinator Doug Pederson said. “Going into that last week, where you play all your backups, those starters now get ready for that opening day, so you’ve still got a couple of days here to really get that thing ironed out. From there, it’s all hands on deck. Give the starters all the reps they can handle, and they get ready for that first game.”

STOPPING BEAST MODE

The Chiefs’ run defense faces a legitimate test Friday night, depending, of course, on how long the Seahawks keep the starters in the game.

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch and quarterback Russell Wilson combined for 195 yards rushing against the Chiefs in Week 11 of the 2014 season, a campaign that saw the Chiefs finish 28th against the run.

The return of inside linebacker Derrick Johnson from the 2014 ruptured Achilles tendon provides a boost, but the absence of defensive tackle Dontari Poe, who recovers from back surgery, is a concern.

Defensive tackle Jaye Howard has filled in for Poe, and defensive line coach Tommy Brasher appears pleased with what he’s seen from the position group.

“Of course, we miss Poe,” Brasher said. “But really, it’s pretty good. They’re competing and they’re getting better, and I think when we get Poe back, then that will be a big plus for us. I think we’ll be competitive.”

How Lynch is handled without Pie could offer optimism when considering the Chiefs face running backs C.J. Anderson, Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill, Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson and Le’Veon Bell in the first half of the regular season.

ESTABLISH A RHYTHM

The Chiefs scored 31 points in the preseason opener, thanks largely to the second-team offense because the first-team offense was shaky, even in limited action that saw the unit go 0-3 in converting third downs.

With coach Andy Reid expected to play starters into the second quarter before inserting the backups, the extended playing time could kick start the offense.

“You want to sustain some drives,” quarterback Alex Smith said. “Third down, for that first group, we weren’t very good. We got ourselves into a third-and-long, then obviously had the turnover. We had two thirds-and-pretty-decent and we couldn’t convert and it really kind of held us up. Obviously I think that’s an area for improvement.”

What would help establishing a tempo is running back Jamaal Charles, who saw action on two snaps in the preseason opener.

BERRY WATCH

Free safety Eric Berry saw eight snaps in the preseason opener, as the Chiefs continue to work in the former first-team All-Pro and three-time Pro Bowl selection.

“We’ll bring him along slowly,” defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas said, “but we play so many different packages. We started with four or five, so he’ll be able to play a lot.”

Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton said Berry is “close” to returning to form, but the Chiefs will only ask Berry to do what he is comfortable with.

“This is really a chance to get back into football,” Sutton said, “the fundamentals of his position and I think every day out there talking with him, he’s becoming more comfortable. Like I said earlier, we are going to follow his rhythm – whatever he feels – that’s what we are going to follow. So far it has been really good.”

Berry finished training camp working mostly with the second-team defense, but saw action in sub-packages with the first unit.

The Chiefs currently list Berry second on the depth chart at free safety behind Husain Abdullah.

TIGHT BATTLE

The Chiefs’ top five wide receivers project as Jeremy Maclin, Albert Wilson, De’Anthony Thomas, Jason Avant and rookie Chris Conley, and then it gets very interesting.

Frankie Hammond Jr., Fred Williams and rookie Da’Ron Brown each scored a touchdown in the preseason opener, with Williams leading the team with six catches for 82 yards.

Hammond has seen time with the first-team offense to fill-in for Maclin, while Williams also saw time with the starters when Wilson missed time with an illness. Brown finished training camp strong after a relatively quiet start, and often saw time with the second-team unit in the final days.

The Chiefs have a hard decision looming on the horizon surrounding how many wide receivers to keep on the 53-man roster.

Iowanian
08-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Cliff notes: Chiefs defense hope to avoid a beast infection Friday night.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2015, 09:56 PM
Even more Cliff's Notes:

Chiefs hope not to suck in front of small, drunken crowd at Arrowhead, who will understandably be watching the Royals on their mobile devices.

Sorter
08-20-2015, 09:58 PM
Cliff notes: Chiefs defense hope to avoid a beast infection Friday night. Marshawn Lynch suffers from PTSD from Dolphin Rape Cave experience.

Fixed

MotherfuckerJones
08-20-2015, 10:06 PM
What I want to see:
The first team offense to move the ball and put some points on the board
The offensive line to show improvement and continuity, especially the younger guys
The WR core to make plays
West to show more improvement and ball security
Run defense to shut down beast mode
Defense to force some turnovers
Stay healthy minus the usual bumps and bruises

Sucks about March. Was really looking forward to seeing him play and improve

Edit: forgot about Conley. He's one I will be watching closely

RunKC
08-20-2015, 10:13 PM
Looking at Chris Conley and LDT

Titty Meat
08-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Even more Cliff's Notes:

Chiefs hope not to suck in front of small, drunken crowd at Arrowhead, who will understandably be watching the Royals on their mobile devices.

Nah I'd rather watch Chiefs preseason than Royals anything

Rasputin
08-20-2015, 10:15 PM
I read nothing about Dee Ford in that. Is he going to play? If so you would think that a first round pick would be something to mention for things to watch for?

I didn't think they could make a worse first round pick than Eric Fisher but yes they could.

SeeingRed
08-21-2015, 05:44 AM
http://www.chiefsdigest.com/what-to-watch-in-seahawks-chiefs-preseason-game/

What to watch in Seahawks-Chiefs preseason game
Posted in Featured, Preseason By Herbie Teope+ On August 20, 2015 Print article

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Chiefs wrapped up training camp Wednesday and now shift focus to the three remaining preseason contests, starting Friday night against the Seattle Seahawks at Arrowhead Stadium.

Starters are expected to see more action than the preseason opener, where the first-team offense played in three series and the first-team defense played in one series against the Arizona Cardinals.

“What we’ll do with the rotation is we’ll get somewhere close to a half with the ones,” coach Andy Reid said of Friday night’s plan, “and then we’ll put in the twos and threes after that.”

With extended playing time comes important evaluation leading to the third preseason game, which is widely regarded as the dress rehearsal for the regular season.

Here are areas to monitor Friday night:

FLUID MOVEMENT

The Chiefs experienced another round of rotations on the offensive line in the final days of training camp after seeing left tackle Eric Fisher (high-ankle sprain) and right tackle Jeff Allen (knee) suffer injuries.

Fisher’s and Allen’s injuries are obviously bad news.

The good news, however, is the Chiefs have serviceable depth compared to 2014 when Ryan Harris signed days before start of training camp and Mike McGlynn signed after third preseason game.

“This is a very deep group, a lot of good, hungry talented guys,” offensive line coach Andy Heck said. “I’m very pleased how they’re all coming out to work and better themselves individually, not just to battle to be one of those five guys – be one of the seven up on game day, be one of the nine or 10 or eight or how many we keep that’s on this football team. It’s a process we’re still going through and the guys are doing a real nice job with it.”

Two-time Pro Bowl left guard Ben Grubbs is a mainstay, while the absence of Fisher and Allen, who suffered his injury in the preseason opener, caused a reshuffle of the front five.

Tackle Donald Stephenson, who gave way to Allen, returned to the first-team offense in place of Allen, but then shifted to the left when Fisher went down Monday.

Jarrod Pughsley saw action at right tackle Monday and Tuesday, before Paul Fanaika took first-team repetition in place of Pughsley, who returned to the second team.

Second-year pro Laurent Duvernay-Tardif took over at right guard for Zach Fulton, who started the preseason opener at the position.

Rookie Mitch Morse continued to man center since taking over that role from Eric Kush last week.

The Chiefs would like to settle the starting unit sooner than later, especially when considering starters hardly see the field in the final preseason game.

So, Friday night’s personnel grouping could go a long way in determining who plays a large role in the third preseason contest against the Tennessee Titans on Aug. 28 in the event Fisher and Allen aren’t ready.

“You have to, I think by the time you get to your third week when your starters are playing a lot, three quarters, you should have that ironed out,” offensive coordinator Doug Pederson said. “Going into that last week, where you play all your backups, those starters now get ready for that opening day, so you’ve still got a couple of days here to really get that thing ironed out. From there, it’s all hands on deck. Give the starters all the reps they can handle, and they get ready for that first game.”

STOPPING BEAST MODE

The Chiefs’ run defense faces a legitimate test Friday night, depending, of course, on how long the Seahawks keep the starters in the game.

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch and quarterback Russell Wilson combined for 195 yards rushing against the Chiefs in Week 11 of the 2014 season, a campaign that saw the Chiefs finish 28th against the run.

The return of inside linebacker Derrick Johnson from the 2014 ruptured Achilles tendon provides a boost, but the absence of defensive tackle Dontari Poe, who recovers from back surgery, is a concern.

Defensive tackle Jaye Howard has filled in for Poe, and defensive line coach Tommy Brasher appears pleased with what he’s seen from the position group.

“Of course, we miss Poe,” Brasher said. “But really, it’s pretty good. They’re competing and they’re getting better, and I think when we get Poe back, then that will be a big plus for us. I think we’ll be competitive.”

How Lynch is handled without Pie could offer optimism when considering the Chiefs face running backs C.J. Anderson, Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill, Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson and Le’Veon Bell in the first half of the regular season.

ESTABLISH A RHYTHM

The Chiefs scored 31 points in the preseason opener, thanks largely to the second-team offense because the first-team offense was shaky, even in limited action that saw the unit go 0-3 in converting third downs.

With coach Andy Reid expected to play starters into the second quarter before inserting the backups, the extended playing time could kick start the offense.

“You want to sustain some drives,” quarterback Alex Smith said. “Third down, for that first group, we weren’t very good. We got ourselves into a third-and-long, then obviously had the turnover. We had two thirds-and-pretty-decent and we couldn’t convert and it really kind of held us up. Obviously I think that’s an area for improvement.”

What would help establishing a tempo is running back Jamaal Charles, who saw action on two snaps in the preseason opener.

BERRY WATCH

Free safety Eric Berry saw eight snaps in the preseason opener, as the Chiefs continue to work in the former first-team All-Pro and three-time Pro Bowl selection.

“We’ll bring him along slowly,” defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas said, “but we play so many different packages. We started with four or five, so he’ll be able to play a lot.”

Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton said Berry is “close” to returning to form, but the Chiefs will only ask Berry to do what he is comfortable with.

“This is really a chance to get back into football,” Sutton said, “the fundamentals of his position and I think every day out there talking with him, he’s becoming more comfortable. Like I said earlier, we are going to follow his rhythm – whatever he feels – that’s what we are going to follow. So far it has been really good.”

Berry finished training camp working mostly with the second-team defense, but saw action in sub-packages with the first unit.

The Chiefs currently list Berry second on the depth chart at free safety behind Husain Abdullah.

TIGHT BATTLE

The Chiefs’ top five wide receivers project as Jeremy Maclin, Albert Wilson, De’Anthony Thomas, Jason Avant and rookie Chris Conley, and then it gets very interesting.

Frankie Hammond Jr., Fred Williams and rookie Da’Ron Brown each scored a touchdown in the preseason opener, with Williams leading the team with six catches for 82 yards.

Hammond has seen time with the first-team offense to fill-in for Maclin, while Williams also saw time with the starters when Wilson missed time with an illness. Brown finished training camp strong after a relatively quiet start, and often saw time with the second-team unit in the final days.

The Chiefs have a hard decision looming on the horizon surrounding how many wide receivers to keep on the 53-man roster.

Yikes! :eek: thats some line up of RBs in the first half of season!!

Coochie liquor
08-21-2015, 06:58 AM
I read nothing about Dee Ford in that. Is he going to play? If so you would think that a first round pick would be something to mention for things to watch for?

I didn't think they could make a worse first round pick than Eric Fisher but yes they could.

It's only been one season, and one PS game. I think Ford is going to be a good pass rusher for us. way too early to draw any kind of conclusion. Worse case scenario is we put him at FB, looked like a solid block to free up Gore when we played the 9ers.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Things I want to see:

1) Absolutely no injuries
2) The OL have a good game
3) Run defense aginst Seattles 1's
4) Dee Ford avoid bust status
5) Chase Daniel light it up again
6) Our young linebackers performance
7) Marcus Peters island
8) A 2 point conversion
9) 30 points plus (For the Chiefs)

Simply Red
08-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Even more Cliff's Notes:

heh

Chiefshrink
08-21-2015, 08:19 AM
Things I want to see:

1) Absolutely no injuries
2) The OL have a good game
3) Run defense aginst Seattles 1's
4) Dee Ford avoid bust status
5) Chase Daniel light it up again
6) Our young linebackers performance
7) Marcus Peters island
8) A 2 point conversion
9) 30 points plus (For the Chiefs)

You have reasonable expectations:D

Chiefshrink
08-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Eric Fisher is soft and for me is an official bust IMO. His high ankle sprain will go on all year. Hopefully someone will step up and we won't ever talk about Fisher again.;)

staylor26
08-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Eric Fisher is soft and for me is an official bust IMO. His high ankle sprain will go on all year. Hopefully someone will step up and we won't ever talk about Fisher again.;)

What an idiot :facepalm:

staylor26
08-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Looking at Chris Conley and LDT

Same here :thumb:

Lzen
08-21-2015, 08:41 AM
How Lynch is handled without Pie

Pie?:doh!:

Lzen
08-21-2015, 08:42 AM

From all accounts he has looked good so far this year so I would say calling him a bust is a bit premature. But yeah, if he continues to be injured then he's no good to the Chiefs.

Mr. Pink
08-21-2015, 08:44 AM
I want to see Nelson play nickel back. Right now we only have two corners capable of playing inside - Gaines and Nelson. There is a good chance we will need him this year.

ThaVirus
08-21-2015, 09:18 AM
I want to see Nelson play nickel back. Right now we only have two corners capable of playing inside - Gaines and Nelson. There is a good chance we will need him this year.

They tried Peters at nickel recently, FYI.

Three7s
08-21-2015, 09:27 AM
Even more Cliff's Notes:

/thread

Mr. Pink
08-21-2015, 09:35 AM
They tried Peters at nickel recently, FYI.

Thanks, that is good to know.

The Franchise
08-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Catapano should have about 8-10 sacks this game.

ChiliConCarnage
08-21-2015, 09:48 AM

Is Pie his kryptonite? We should hold onto this secret for the eventual Super Bowl matchup.

Iowanian
08-21-2015, 10:19 AM
I am not expecting the oline to look great as a group. Obviously with backup tackles and the shuffle at rg, I am more interested in just seeing how those players hold up.

Flemming got picked on a little by Arizona so I want to see how he does. I am interested in peters performance and how the Ilb group is with available players. I hope Alexander gets a lot of reps so we can see him

I also hope to see a lot of Conley tonight.

TEX
08-21-2015, 10:22 AM
I'll be watching the OL - specifically the Tackles and Center. I think for some reason Stephenson does "better" at LT then he does at RT, BUT RT going to be an issue this game. I'm expecting OL issues, but I want to see how the Tackles and C do in individual matchups.

Hydrae
08-21-2015, 11:20 AM

Nah, Russ is a sneaky quick QB so I bet Cat is limited to only 3 sacks tonight.

19now11
08-21-2015, 11:31 AM
i want to see alex tear shit up. and no not his knee.

DaFace
08-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Yikes! :eek: thats some line up of RBs in the first half of season!!

Not a great time for Poe to be out, but hopefully our other big guys can fill the hole well enough to get by.

jonzie04
08-21-2015, 12:05 PM
Pretty much the entire first team O line, Stephenson, Morse, Tardif, Pughsley/Fanakia.

Alex and Maclins Chemistry

Conley, specifically how he gets of the LOS as he struggled with that in college.

Ramik Wilson, also Alexander if he actually gets to play

Peters, Gaines

All 4 safeties, because they are all really close together in skill right now.

David Irving if he gets to play.

Fangupo if he gets to play. He looked like he could be a decent backup at nose the first game.

Moses.

I would really LOVE to see DJ lay a nice hit on Lynch. That would be awesome.

TEX
08-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Faniaka is not quality depth. He's just wasted space. That will become obvious early on tonight.

chiefs1111
08-21-2015, 02:03 PM

Just another day at the office for him