PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Does Any Team Consider the Chiefs to be Their Primary Rival?

rico
08-22-2015, 06:16 AM
So a while ago...when that "who is your least favorite opposing team's fans on CP" thread was hoppin,' I wondered, "so, most Chiefs fans consider the Donks to be their main rival...and a few consider the Raiders to be the primary rival...I wonder what fans of other teams in our division think of the Chiefs..."

So I googled it. I googled the words "Denver Broncos rival" and "Oakland Raiders rival." I figured the Chargers fans would undoubtedly consider the Raiders to be their primary rival, so I didn't bother with them.

The results surprised me.

After googling "Denver Broncos rival," I clicked on a link which led me to a Donk forum where they discussed their primary rival. I expected it to be a "bash Chiefs" thread. It wasn't. There were probably 100 responses. I would say 95% of them responded with something along the lines of "Oakland Raiders and it's not even close." One person responded with, "a lot of your older fans will say the Kansas City Chiefs, but the younger generations would say the Oakland Raiders for sure." There were more people who responded with "Patriots" than there were people who responded with the Chiefs as being the Donk's most heated rivalry.

Until then, I thought the Donks hated us as much as we hate them... apparently not.

The Raiders board(s) seem to primarily refer to the Donks as their primary rival, but there seems to be much more Chiefs hate from them, than the Donks... likely due to them having a cumulative losing vs the Chiefs, the history dating back to the AFL as well as the personal rivalry between Lamar Hunt and Al Davis. There are about the same as many references to the Chargers being hated by the Raider fans as the Chiefs... I assume this is due to the geographical locations of the two franchises. the Broncos take the cake, though. There are actually Raiders fans out there that consider the 49ers to be their most intense rivalry....??? I had no idea those two teams gave a shit about each other...at all.

With that said, what the hell? Was anyone else under the impression that the Broncos fans most hated team would be the Chiefs? Does it bother anyone else that the Chiefs don't seem to generally be the most hated rival team by any other fan base?

Hopefully we can change this in the next decade. I want the hatred we seethe for the Donks/Raiders to be reciprocated, damn it!!!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 06:45 AM
You have to be more than a speed bump to other team's glory to be hated.

rico
08-22-2015, 06:49 AM

Kind of the realization I have come to... :(

I bet you the Colts fans don't hate us as much as we hate them... in fact, I bet they think we are kind of cute.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 06:51 AM
Kind of the realization I have come to... :(

I bet you the Colts fans don't hate us as much as we hate them... in fact, I bet they think we are kind of cute.

Yep.

Superbowltrashcan
08-22-2015, 07:00 AM
My answer would be that the Chiefs are a second tier rival for most teams in the division behind the Broncos. Outside the division there likely isn't any team that hates the team per se but more the influx of boisterous fans wearing red invading their stadium during those times the team is playing well.

Faux Rivalries are one sided (hence not a true rivalry) when there is dominance by one side. College athletics has a lot of this. Most Big 12 basketball teams hate KU because they win, are perceived to get the breaks from officiating, and don't reciprocate the hatred.

True rivalries have teams that both long term and as of late are very close in games won and lost, and play meaningful games against each other in the regular season and post season as well.

For the Broncos, right now we are perceived as a hillbilly haven that has to be visited once a year without much thought about our circumstances unless your name is Knowmo or VailPass. Tough pill to swallow but reality can be cruel.

rico
08-22-2015, 07:06 AM
My answer would be that the Chiefs are a second tier rival for most teams in the division behind the Broncos. Outside the division there likely isn't any team that hates the team per se but more the influx of boisterous fans wearing red invading their stadium during those times the team is playing well.

Faux Rivalries are one sided (hence not a true rivalry) when there is dominance by one side. College athletics has a lot of this. Most Big 12 basketball teams hate KU because they win, are perceived to get the breaks from officiating, and don't reciprocate the hatred.

True rivalries have teams that both long term and as of late are very close in games won and lost, and play meaningful games against each other in the regular season and post season as well.

For the Broncos, right now we are perceived as a hillbilly haven that has to be visited once a year without much thought about our circumstances unless your name is Knowmo or VailPass. Tough pill to swallow but reality can be cruel.

Makes a lot of sense. Man.... intelligent response, IMO.

Simply Red
08-22-2015, 07:40 AM

Yes, this. We don't beat enough teams consistently for any of the other ones to consider us a 'rival'

rico
08-22-2015, 07:48 AM
Yes, this. We don't beat enough teams consistently for any of the other ones to consider us a 'rival'

We've done well vs. the Raiders...

With that said, they seem to be the team/fan base that hates us the most.

HEY DUDE, DO THE ATLANTA FALCONS HATE THE SHIT OUT OF US NOW?!?!?!?! NOW THAT THEY HAVE PIOLI...AND TYSON JACKSON...AND TONY MOEAKI.....AND JON ASAMOAH?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

DaFace
08-22-2015, 07:55 AM
No, not really. The Raiders and Chargers, like us, hate the Broncos more because they've been the team to beat for so long. The Broncos fans I know still consider the Raiders to be their main rival.

You have to have a good period of sustained success to really be hated much, and it's been a long time since that's happened around here.

rico
08-22-2015, 08:00 AM
No, not really. The Raiders and Chargers, like us, hate the Broncos more because they've been the team to beat for so long. The Broncos fans I know still consider the Raiders to be their main rival.

You have to have a good period of sustained success to really be hated much, and it's been a long time since that's happened around here.

Do you think if we would have beaten the Donks in that late 90's playoff game, things woulda been different and they'd hate us even more?!?!?!

DaFace
08-22-2015, 08:01 AM
Do you think if we would have beaten the Donks in that late 90's playoff game, things woulda been different and they'd hate us even more?!?!?!

Eh, maybe. If we'd gone on and won the Super Bowl then at least the mentality would be more even between the two teams. Even then, it's hard to sustain hatred for 15 years without much to fuel it.

rico
08-22-2015, 08:07 AM
Eh, maybe. If we'd gone on and won the Super Bowl then at least the mentality would be more even between the two teams. Even then, it's hard to sustain hatred for 15 years without much to fuel it.

Especially with these stupid ass youngsters coming up. They don't know what it's like living through a the kicker that shall go unnamedt or an Elvis Grbak or a Steve Bono or a.....Joe Montana injury.

Cheater5
08-22-2015, 08:23 AM
Broncos have been easy to hate. If I held up flashcards of their QBs for the last 20 years, what would your reaction be?
Elway
Plummer
Cutler
Orton
Tebow
Manning

Yeah I'm missing some, but you get the point. I have a derogatory nickname for each one of those guys and was delighted whenever we beat them- some more than others.

Now do the same for Chiefs QBs the last 20 years. Do you think any team looks at that collection of dudes ranging from the highly average to downright hare-lipped idiots with vitriol? Pfft. Some teams are easy to hate, we're just not one of those teams.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Broncos have been easy to hate. If I held up flashcards of their QBs for the last 20 years, what would your reaction be?
Elway
Plummer
Cutler
Orton
Tebow
Manning

Yeah I'm missing some, but you get the point. I have a derogatory nickname for each one of those guys and was delighted whenever we beat them- some more than others.

Now do the same for Chiefs QBs the last 20 years. Do you think any team looks at that collection of dudes ranging from the highly average to downright hare-lipped idiots with vitriol? Pfft. Some teams are easy to hate, we're just not one of those teams.

Might as well hold up a list of:

Ronnie,

Bobby,

Ricky, and

Mike!

http://soultrain.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/NE1.jpg

Cheater5
08-22-2015, 08:35 AM
No idea who those teenage black kids are; is that the point? That's the point, isn't it? I'm so fucking slow.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 08:36 AM
No idea who those teenage black kids are; is that the point? That's the point, isn't it? I'm so fucking slow.

New Edition, 1980's group.

rico
08-22-2015, 09:09 AM
New Edition, 1980's group.

Cool it now.... WATCH OUT!!!! Your gonna fall in love!!!

Too much romantic tension going on in this thread. God diggity damn!!!

Al Bundy
08-22-2015, 09:18 AM
Cool it now.... WATCH OUT!!!! Your gonna fall in love!!!

Too much romantic tension going on in this thread. God diggity damn!!!

You forgot Mr. Telephone Man.

rico
08-22-2015, 09:21 AM

I think you are confusing New Edition with Electric Light Orchestra. Understandable...they all have/had afros.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 09:23 AM

There's something wrong with our line/Lil' Chiefy

jAZ
08-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Cool question.

Seems pretty simple...

All of the AFC west follows this rule, I suspect.

1) Hate the Broncos first, because they beat your team
2) Hate the Raiders second, because they are designed to be the enemy
3) Hate the Chiefs third, because they can be hard to beat
4) Hate the Chargers last, because everyone wants to visit San Diego

rico
08-22-2015, 09:44 AM
Cool question.

Seems pretty simple...

All of the AFC west follows this rule, I suspect.

1) Hate the Broncos first, because they beat your team
2) Hate the Raiders second, because they are designed to be the enemy
3) Hate the Chiefs third, because they can be hard to beat
4) Hate the Chargers last, because everyone wants to visit San Diego

Dude... the Raiders have a winning record vs. the Donks since the franchise's formations. 60-49 with two ties, I believe.

The Chiefs have a winning record vs. the Raiders.....

stevieray
08-22-2015, 09:50 AM
...the refs.

Prison Bitch
08-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Most hated by Raider fans. Second most by Denver. I can live with that

rico
08-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Most hated by Raider fans. Second most by Denver. I can live with that

Raiders fans seem to hate Donks a bit more than the Chiefs. Just a bit. Is it ok to say that? I have never interfaced with you and have always been apprehensive in doing so because you have always just seemed so...cyber-spacetically unnapproachable.

Rausch
08-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Don't care.

Our rival is the playoffs.

If you can't win one playoff game with 9 pro bowlers in 5 years the GM and HC both need to go...

Prison Bitch
08-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Raiders fans seem to hate Donks a bit more than the Chiefs. Just a bit. Is it ok to say that? I have never interfaced with you and have always been apprehensive in doing so because you have always just seemed so...cyber-spacetically unnapproachable.

Just watch a game when we play there, and when the Donks do, and you'll quickly spot the difference.

Rausch
08-22-2015, 11:15 AM

I think you and Clay would get along splendidly...

rico
08-22-2015, 11:22 AM
I think you and Clay would get along splendidly...

Clay doesn't seem cyber-spacedically unapproachable... But I can imagine him being a guy who doesn't want to approach other homeslices in real life.

Don't get me wrong...I like Clay. He's going through a slight slump, but didn't have that great of an offseason to work with.

LoneWolf
08-22-2015, 11:26 AM
I like Clay.

I think I've spotted your problem.

Rausch
08-22-2015, 11:26 AM
... But I can imagine him being a guy who doesn't want to approach other homeslices in real life.

You don't say.

I'm 5'7" and every bit of tubby and he looked like a kitten playing with a turtle for the first time...

rico
08-22-2015, 11:40 AM
You don't say.

I'm 5'7" and every bit of tubby and he looked like a kitten playing with a turtle for the first time...

My kittens generally leave turtles alone... So he sticks to himself?

Buck
08-22-2015, 11:40 AM
If you went by pure statistics, the Chiefs main rival should be the Chargers. The Chargers are the only team in the division that the Chiefs don't have a winning record against (as of now it's exactly .500 for the regular season and the Chargers are 1-0 against the Chiefs in the playoffs). But for some reason we don't incite hatred among other teams than the Raiders it seems.

We hate the Raiders most because they've kicked the ever loving shit out of us and also that little thing called the "Holy Roller." That probably cemented Oakland as our #1 rival forever.

rico
08-22-2015, 11:43 AM
I think I've spotted your problem.

I didn't know that I had a problem that people were on the lookout for. :)

I think Clay is going through a slump...

rico
08-22-2015, 11:44 AM
If you went by pure statistics, the Chiefs main rival should be the Chargers. The Chargers are the only team in the division that the Chiefs don't have a winning record against (as of now it's exactly .500 for the regular season and the Chargers are 1-0 against the Chiefs in the playoffs). But for some reason we don't incite hatred among other teams than the Raiders it seems.

We hate the Raiders most because they've kicked the ever loving shit out of us and also that little thing called the "Holy Roller." That probably cemented Oakland as our #1 rival forever.

Good point, man. Did not know that stuff.

Rausch
08-22-2015, 11:48 AM
My kittens generally leave turtles alone... So he sticks to himself?

No, he just sticks to his comfort zone.

Me and Bob Dole wouldn't be it...

Rausch
08-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Clay doesn't seem cyber-spacedically unapproachable... But I can imagine him being a guy who doesn't want to approach other homeslices in real life.

Don't get me wrong...I like Clay. He's going through a slight slump, but didn't have that great of an offseason to work with.

Clay isn't a bad guy.

He's all bluster and play-action and style-dependant-ego, but he'll grow out of that...

Deberg_1990
08-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Jags fan absolutely hate the Chiefs!!

Rausch
08-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Jags fan absolutely hate the Chiefs!!

Why?

There would be no rational reason for it...

rico
08-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Why?

There would be no rational reason for it...

What do ya mean, "why?!?" WE got ERIC FISHER!!!! they got luke joeckel. They will forever be bitter about that.

COchief
08-22-2015, 12:10 PM
I think this basically boils down to the below:

Broncos: Tons of recent success, scumbag villians (Romo, Elway, vaseline, Rat).
Raiders: Past success, scumbags, dirty, villians (Al and a myriad of dirty players).
Chargers: No real success or major villians (Seau/Rivers are minor annoyances worthy of respect for their play).
Seahawks: I feel were essentially a clone of the Chargers.

I would guess opposing teams would basically view us as Chargers/Seahawks.

Rausch
08-22-2015, 12:19 PM
What do ya mean, "why?!?" WE got ERIC FISHER!!!! they got luke joeckel. They will forever be bitter about that.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-53126-Bill-Murray-looks-at-camera-gi-68fK.gif

rico
08-22-2015, 12:20 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-53126-Bill-Murray-looks-at-camera-gi-68fK.gif

LMAO