PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs First-string offensive line still isn’t put together, and it shows against Seahawks

Tribal Warfare
08-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Chiefs’ first-string offensive line still isn’t put together, and it shows against Seahawks (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article31875252.html)

Reasonable minds can disagree on this, but for me, the moment of certainty that the Chiefs’ second preseason game would be a giant waste of time for the first-string offense came on their second drive.

Maybe you remember this. Things were looking up, actually. The Chiefs had just picked up a first down on a short pass — did you just snicker? — to Jamaal Charles. Then came trouble.

Paul Fanaika, who — bless his heart — was starting at right tackle against the Seahawks, was pushed straight backward until K.J. Wright released to tackle running back Knile Davis for a 6-yard loss. That was bad enough, but you know, one bad play.

Then came the clincher. The Chiefs called a screen pass, which was a good idea with their line overmatched, and Charles may have been able to make something of it. But Laurent Duvernay-Tardif — and while we’re at it, bless his heart, too — tackled Charles. Yep. He tackled him. He didn’t mean to, we should make this point clear, but that’s what happened. Duvernay-Tardif ran into Charles, and Charles went down.

Impressive play, actually. Charles is very good in space.

Now, obviously, we can have fun here. It’s preseason football. This exists mostly for five reasons: the owners make money, regular players can find rhythm, the owners make money, coaches can fill the bottom of their rosters, and last, but definitely not least: the owners make money.

We’re supposed to include scores when we write about games, so the Chiefs ended up beating the Seahawks 14-13 on Friday at Arrowhead Stadium. If there is any preseason game worth analyzing, it’s the third one, next Friday against the Titans, when the starters will likely play into the second half.

But we are sports fans, which means we don’t need things to actually matter to pay attention to them, so it’s nothing but good, clean, wholesome fun to watch these preseason games and find something to talk about.

Only, here, for the Chiefs, there is nothing.

Not for the first-team offense, anyway.

“We’re missing a few guys,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid understated when asked if he knew who his regular-season offensive line would be. “We have a pretty good idea. We’re missing a couple of guys.”

The defense has earned trust. The offense is another matter. The Chiefs themselves know this. That’s why they signed Jeremy Maclin to play receiver, and why they worked to upgrade the offensive line. If there is an area Chiefs fans would particularly like to see progress in before the season starts, this is it.

It’s just that the line is making that impossible.

This is nobody’s fault, really. It’s not even a real reason to worry, at least not yet. The Chiefs played against one of the NFL’s best pass rushing defenses with the previously mentioned Duvernay-Tardif and Fanaika mismatched with the first team instead of the injured Eric Fisher and Jeff Allen. The results were, let’s be kind here, not great.

“I still have a lot to learn,” Duvernay-Tardif said. “It was good to have reps with the ones. You get to experience the real speed of the game. I made a couple of mistakes. I need to get better.”

That’s two-fifths of the line taken up by guys who won’t play in the regular season unless something goes very wrong, which meant Seahawks star Michael Bennett could practice his sack dance and Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith could practice his prayers. On Saturday, he can practice getting treatment on what will be way more aches than a preseason game should cause.

The starters played until halftime. They’ve now had eight drives: one touchdown, one field goal, two interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), three punts, and one Hail Mary at the end of the half.

That’s less than ideal, obviously, but with the offensive line only vaguely resembling what it will look like once the season starts — Fisher and Allen are both expected to be healthy by then — it’s hard to evaluate.

“It can be tough sometimes,” Donald Stephenson said of not being able to play with the likely regular-season starters. “But that’s O-lineman play. Everything’s tough about what we do. They don’t say our name when we play well. You hear our name when we don’t play well. We’re the guys who tough it out through the good and the bad.”

The offensive line is this team’s biggest concern. Particularly on the interior, they showed a bad habit of getting beat on stunts last year.

Fisher made some nice progress as the season went on, and looked solid in the first preseason game, but he is still a young left tackle who has not earned the benefit of the doubt. Stephenson played sparingly last year. Mitch Morse is a rookie. Ben Grubbs is a proven veteran, but this is his first season with the Chiefs. Jeff Allen missed all but the first game last year.

Maybe the line would struggle even at full strength. Maybe it will struggle once the season starts. But there’s no way to know that now, and what’s worse, it’s affecting how everything else can be viewed. It’d be nice to see a clearer comparison between Davis and Charcandrick West for the No. 2 running back job. It’d be nice to see if Maclin can get downfield. It’d be nice to see if Smith will throw it downfield.

But with an already questionable offensive line weakened by two key injuries, all of that is clouded. The play-calling has to change. Smith’s interception was a rotten throw directly into coverage, so no excuses, but this was not a realistic environment.

Football can be a complicated thing, but there is a very simple truth here: when the offensive line breaks down, everything breaks down.

As long as the Chiefs’ line is less than whole and blocking like this, it’s hard to know much about anything else.

At least, the Chiefs hope this isn’t how it will look when the real games start.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 01:13 PM
I still do not understand why Kush isn't starting at center.

Fisher/Grubbs/Kush/Morse/Stephenson

Mr. Laz
08-22-2015, 01:16 PM
except the 1st string offensive line didn't play against Seattle

Both starting OT's were out which is a huge issue.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2015, 01:17 PM

Stephenson just doesn't seem the same at RT.

either he can't play with his left hand or doesn't want to play RT and is pouting

Rausch
08-22-2015, 01:19 PM

And they both project to be starting some game 1?

Hell, a high-ancle sprain is the ultimate excuse for benching a guy...

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 01:20 PM

Only two out of five played: Grubbs and Morse.

I still think the line is a work in progress and will continue to be until Game 1, which sucks.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2015, 01:22 PM

Eric Fisher had just played one of his best games as a Chief and actually showed some real improvement. Why would they bench him now?

As for Allen, i dunno ... still don't know who is going to play RT for us.

KCrockaholic
08-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Gotta love a sack taking QB behind an already poor offensive line. A great recipe.

Rausch
08-22-2015, 01:23 PM

I still think the line is a work in progress and will continue to be until Game 1, which sucks.

I still want dicks to be eaten now about Morse not being projected or in the fray as a C.

They clearly want him to be our C. Not pushing Kush but WANT him to be our C...

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 01:24 PM

Child please

Rausch
08-22-2015, 01:25 PM
Eric Fisher had just played one of his best games as a Chief and actually showed some real improvement. Why would they bench him now?

1) That's a stretch.

2) Our O line east of LG is a mess. God only knows what ends up there...

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Stephenson just doesn't seem the same at RT.

either he can't play with his left hand or doesn't want to play RT and is pouting

Stephenson's is better at LT than RT, no doubt. But so far, I haven't seen a better RT than Stephenson on the roster.

Allen can't stay healthy. Pugs is a work in progress. Fanaika is pure ass.

Rausch
Child please

You're right, he'll probably be back by game 1 and attacking teh passer.

:spock:

Meatloaf

I'm with you, Dane. Here they apparently keep a guy to play/learn one position last year. We get rid of Hudson and Kush STILL isn't playing. Instead, we're playing a rookie former Tackle at Center (yeah, I know he had some experience there, but still.....). Furthermore, we're totally sucking at RG and RT and we STILL don't want to insert Kush at Center and have Morse attempt to help fill a void on the right side. I don't get it. At. All.

Kush must really, really suck.....but if he's so bad, why'd we keep him last year?

A mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma. Astounding.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 01:27 PM
I still want dicks to be eaten now about Morse not being projected or in the fray as a C.

They clearly want him to be our C. Not pushing Kush but WANT him to be our C...

Kush played just as well, if not better, IMO, than Morse. He made some great line calls, something I haven't seen Morse do and he's been solid. It just doesn't make any sense.

Put Morse at RG and have him as the emergency center.

Meatloaf
08-22-2015, 01:30 PM
Kush played just as well, if not better, IMO, than Morse. He made some great line calls, something I haven't seen Morse do and he's been solid. It just doesn't make any sense.

This could be dangerous as we're thinking the same thing! :thumb:

Hammock Parties
08-22-2015, 02:06 PM

You can't change your center now. He's already established some sense of chemistry with the QB.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 02:14 PM
You can't change your center now. He's already established some sense of chemistry with the QB.

I don't buy that.

Kush was first string all year in minicamps and OTA's. It's only been the past couple of weeks that Morse has taken over.

milkman
08-22-2015, 02:18 PM

Rausch is one of my favorites, but he is about the least objective poster here.

He hates Fisher.
Fisher could be named all-pro for the next 10 years and he might, I say might, finally acknowledge that he isn't the worst LT in the NFL.

Hammock Parties
08-22-2015, 02:25 PM
I don't buy that.

Kush was first string all year in minicamps and OTA's. It's only been the past couple of weeks that Morse has taken over.

We're fucking with RG, we're fucking with RT, now Fisher's down for this past week.

And we're gonna change CENTER just BECAUSE as well?

Doesn't seem prudent.

RealSNR
08-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Why is Reid so dead set on Morse starting at center?

The kid's going to be on the team for awhile. Go with the player who currently gives us the best chance to win.

That'd be Kush.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Isn't real football discussion great.

:D

Hammock Parties
08-22-2015, 02:34 PM

The kid's going to be on the team for awhile. Go with the player who currently gives us the best chance to win.

That'd be Kush.

Like others have said, Kush appears to simply suck hard. Couldn't get on the field last year, isn't getting any opportunities this year.

He's just a guy. Probably less than that, even.

milkman
08-22-2015, 02:35 PM

That'd be Kush.

The explanation has to be that Morse has a much higher ceiling physically.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Like others have said, Kush appears to simply suck hard. Couldn't get on the field last year, isn't getting any opportunities this year.

:shake:

milkman
08-22-2015, 02:36 PM

Kush hasn't sucked.

He has played pretty well overall, but like Fulton is limited physically, so isn't ideal for Reid's offense.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 02:36 PM
The explanation has to be that Morse has a much higher ceiling physically.

This may be the right answer but if Reid truly wants the best five guys on the field, Kush is equally as good as Morse at this point in time and after 16 games, I'm sure he'd continue to grow.

It's difficult to see Morse as worse than Fanaika, LDT or Fulton at RG.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Evan Mathis

*Ducks and runs away*

RealSNR
08-22-2015, 02:37 PM

Or, rather than look at the circumstances and making a stupid assumption, you could just, you know... watch the games.

Hammock Parties
08-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Kush hasn't sucked.

Not against the inferior talent, no.

But the Chiefs appear to give him zero consideration for starting spots again and again.

Occam's razor...he's simply not starting material.

The Franchise
08-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Fanaika needs to be cut immediately.

Bob Dole
08-22-2015, 03:18 PM
It is amazing how many people refuse to acknowledge all the injuries up front. It's not like we had a plethora of options last night.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-22-2015, 06:29 PM
I think it's funny how everybody here knows more than the coaches.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2015, 06:45 PM

It is amazing how many people refuse to acknowledge all the injuries up front. It's not like we had a plethora of options last night.

Joe Seahawk
08-22-2015, 07:21 PM
I would happily trade O-lines with you..

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 07:41 PM

Of course, what's not being talked about on Chiefsplanet is how the Seahawk's offense was kept out of the end zone last night.

staylor26
08-22-2015, 07:57 PM
Of course, what's not being talked about on Chiefsplanet is how the Seahawk's offense was kept out of the end zone last night.

This defense is going to be downright scary when Smith and Poe are back

FringeNC
08-22-2015, 07:58 PM
I think the O-line will struggle at the beginning of the year, but I think there is hope for improvement. O-line was completely different at the end of 2013 compared to the beginning. Hopefully, the young guys will improve, and the line will mesh as the guys learn to play as a unit.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 08:01 PM
This defense is going to be downright scary when Smith and Poe are back

They're pretty scary right now

MotherfuckerJones
08-22-2015, 08:03 PM

Best all around defense in my lifetime. Too young for the early 90s

staylor26
08-22-2015, 08:07 PM

That's the scariest part :evil:

Smed1065
08-22-2015, 08:10 PM
We're fucking with RG, we're fucking with RT, now Fisher's down for this past week.

Doesn't seem prudent.

Doesn't fit my agenda? :LOL:

Been around so no big deal IMO.

Snapplez
08-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Don't wanna jinx it, but Morse hasn't had any bad snaps to my knowledge. Impressive for a rookie who hasn't played Center before.

aturnis
08-22-2015, 09:03 PM

HA!

The Franchise
08-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Don't wanna jinx it, but Morse hasn't had any bad snaps to my knowledge. Impressive for a rookie who hasn't played Center before.

He had that illegal snap penalty against Seattle.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 09:23 PM
First string offensive live wasn't even present, and Mellinger just morons on and on since Peeholi left...

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 09:23 PM

"Bad snaps" don't tell the whole story

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Kush may be built like brick shithouse, but something is clearly missing in his game.

beach tribe
08-22-2015, 09:26 PM

Really?

You don't?

You just don't want to believe it.

The O-line looking like shit right now should be no surprise to anyone.

I would want to give everyone a shot at G and T. Looks like they are doing that. May the best 5 win.
And I would be all over improving that group by any means necessary,
But we know already that Dorsey will check every avenue, and I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more new faces in the coming weeks.

notorious
08-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Morse will be fine.

Probably end up being an All-Pro in a few years.

beach tribe
08-22-2015, 09:28 PM
We're ****ing with RG, we're ****ing with RT, now Fisher's down for this past week.

Doesn't seem prudent.

We had damn near a whole thread discussing how this would happen.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 09:30 PM
Really?

You don't?

You just don't want to believe it.

The O-line looking like shit right now should be no surprise to anyone.

I would want to give everyone a shot at G and T. Looks like they are doing that. May the best 5 win.
And I would be all over improving that group by any means necessary,
But we know already that Dorsey will check every avenue, and I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more new faces in the coming weeks.
This post makes no sense

DaneMcCloud
Kush may be built like brick shithouse, but something is clearly missing in his game.

Care to explain?

beach tribe
Kush hasn't sucked.

He has played pretty well overall, but like Fulton is limited physically, so isn't ideal for Reid's offense.

Regardless of the circumstances, this FO seems to consider him useless.

I think they were expecting him to develop, and he just didn't.
And now his lack of physical gifts becomes even more glaring.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Regardless of the circumstances, this FO seems to consider him useless.

I think they were expecting him to develop, and he just didn't.
And now his lack of physical gifts becomes even more glaring.

I don't think you've watched either game

beach tribe
08-22-2015, 09:32 PM
This post makes no sense

The writing is on the wall with Kush. The only way one could not see it, is if they didn't want to.

Hammock Parties
08-22-2015, 09:34 PM

It doesn't matter what he does against backups.

They aren't considering him for a starting spot whatsoever.

With the state of our "starters" that speaks volumes.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Morse will be fine.

Probably end up being an All-Pro in a few years.

This. My fatty is a winner.

Care to explain?

I would say his lack of starting at the position is all the explanation required?

It is however pre season, so who knows? But I don't see Morse going to G.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 09:37 PM
LMAO

What a bunch of duplicitous BULLSHIT from our resident trolls.

If guys are great in preseason, it's because it's preseason.

If guys aren't playing or are on the second team, they suck.

LMAO

BAN THE TROLLS

And fuck you both.

beach tribe
08-22-2015, 09:38 PM

Busted

I will admit, I have not been able to closely go over the "film".

Seriously, though, ya got me. I was doin' daddy shit when it was on.
Did Kush do anything of note, or was he just auditioning for his back-up C role?
It would be more than awesome to be wrong about the guy.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 09:39 PM
LMAO

LMAO

BAN THE TROLLS

And fuck you both.

You seem nice.

Hammock Parties
08-22-2015, 09:41 PM

Not once have I said this about a single player.

I'm quite pleased with Kelce, Grubbs, Houston, DJ, etc. All look excellent, preseason or not.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Not once have I said this about a single player.

I'm quite pleased with Kelce, Grubbs, Houston, DJ, etc. All look excellent, preseason or not.

Our defense will win some games and drag the dog's ass along with it.

Then people will forget, and "all he does is win" will return.

Ah, the shit-circle of life.

beach tribe
08-22-2015, 09:50 PM
LMAO

LMAO

BAN THE TROLLS

And **** you both.

Dane, I'm not trying to mess with you, man.
All evidence suggests a complete lack of confidence from a FO that is well aware they need answers up front.

I hope he wins the job makes me look like an idiot and starts for us the next 10 years, but that doesn't make this evidence inadmissible.

beach tribe
08-22-2015, 09:56 PM

The only reason Alex doesn't pop my cranium is because the playmakers are going to make em' say "ohh, look how smart he is. He's so cerebral with his check downs, and DON'T FORGET he doesn't turn it over.

I think we stomp some major ass this season. The pieces just fit right.
Alex's short comings can be well hidden when you have speed like this.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 10:00 PM
The only reason Alex doesn't pop cranium is because the playmakers are going to make em' say look like "ohh, look how smart he is. He's so cerebral with his check downs, and DON'T FORGET he doesn't turn it over.

I think we stomp some major ass this season. The pieces just fit right.
Alex's short comings can be well hidden, when you have speed like this.

He's regressing before our eyes. There will be no hiding it. The defense will have to carry many days.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 10:01 PM
As SNR pointed out, if you're going to hold 2003 O-line as the standard, you might as well just die.

beach tribe
08-22-2015, 10:05 PM
He's regressing before our eyes. There will be no hiding it. The defense will have to carry many days.

I'll wait and see. lol

"regressing"LMAO

Remember "He's been in the league a decade, he's not changing now"
That's 100% true. In either direction.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 10:08 PM
I'll wait and see. lol

"regressing"LMAO

Remember "He's been in the league a decade, he's not changing now"
That's 100% true. In either direction.

False. You will see.

Hell, you should already be seeing it. If you were watching games, anyway.

TEX
08-22-2015, 10:20 PM
As SNR pointed out, if you're going to hold 2003 O-line as the standard, you might as well just die.

Nobody even suggested that until he did...We were all just saying we would like the line to be solid / decent / good enough. It's not. Its still bottom 1/3 in the league by today's standards. Its bad enough as is to wreck the season. Can it improve to be just "good enough?" Probably so, but what happens during that process? The season can quickly get ugly and be lost. Week 1 is a must win. The Chiefs can recover from 1-2 but not from 0-3 or 0-4, and then Pitt comes calling week 5... In other words the Chiefs cant afford to wait on the OL to get it together...

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Nobody even suggested that until he did...We were all just saying we would like the line to be solid / decent / good enough. It's not. Its still bottom 1/3 in the league by today's standards. Its bad enough as is to wreck the season. Can it improve to be just "good enough?" Probably so, but what happens during that process? The season can quickly get ugly and be lost. Week 1 is a must win. The Chiefs can recover from 1-2 but not from 0-3 or 0-4, and then Pitt comes calling week 5... In other words the Chiefs cant afford to wait on the OL to get it together...

Not "good enough" why and for whom? The statistics are far from in as we don't have enough games or even the full starting crew out there to gather the information.

But I'm more inclined to believe that whether it be eye test or stats, the Chiefs will field a line that the rest of the( STACKED )offense should be able to make hay with with.

Your fears are grounded in the reality of the man behind Center, and they should be.

RealSNR
08-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Busted

I will admit, I have not been able to closely go over the "film".

Seriously, though, ya got me. I was doin' daddy shit when it was on.
Did Kush do anything of note, or was he just auditioning for his back-up C role?
It would be more than awesome to be wrong about the guy.

They spent a 2nd round pick on Morse and want to get him into the future starting center they envision him being as soon as possible.

It's no different than the veteran QB who plays much better than the rookie, but the team nevertheless goes with the rookie.

And besides that, it's not like the Chiefs have come out and said, "Morse is the starter."

I really wouldn't be surprised at all to see Kush all of a sudden get first team reps in practice this week and in the next preseason game.

RealSNR
08-22-2015, 10:35 PM

Again, your definition of "solid" means something closer to that 2003 line than it does an average NFL offensive line. Your expectations are ridiculous.

We HAD a good group until we had lots of injuries. Right now your expectation is that the offensive line with fucking Paul Fanaika at RT should have looked good against a top 5 DL in the NFL. The fact that it didn't means it's not "solid" or adequate.

It's not just unreasonable. It's fucking stupid is what it is.

Hammock Parties
08-22-2015, 10:39 PM
We HAD a good group until we had lots of injuries.

Do you really think Fisher, Allen, Morse and Fulton are gonna block the Texans?

Really?

I'll be shocked if they give up less than 5 sacks.

RealSNR
08-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Here's a fun little game.

Take an offensive line you consider to be "solid". Then knock out both of their starting OTs, put in their backup 2nd year RG, and replace their starting RT not with their backup swing tackle but instead with their 3rd string OG.

Then have them play a preseason game against the Seahawks' front 7.

Do you think that offensive line is still going to look "solid"?

RealSNR
08-22-2015, 10:43 PM

Really?

I think Fisher, Grubbs, Kush, Fulton/Allen, and Stephenson can block the Texans.

The sorry asses of Asamoah and Fisher at RT did a pretty damn good job against Watt in 2013.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 10:57 PM

Really?

They'll give up less than 5 sacks, win the game and you'll still bitch, CLAYNUS.

Bob Dole
08-22-2015, 11:04 PM
Too bad that wasn't our first string O-line.

Seriously. What part of "makeshift" due to injuries is getting lost in all this shit?

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 11:14 PM
Too bad that wasn't our first string O-line.

Seriously. What part of "makeshift" due to injuries is getting lost in all this shit?

Claynus

MotherfuckerJones
08-22-2015, 11:15 PM
Here's a fun little game.

Take an offensive line you consider to be "solid". Then knock out both of their starting OTs, put in their backup 2nd year RG, and replace their starting RT not with their backup swing tackle but instead with their 3rd string OG.

Then have them play a preseason game against the Seahawks' front 7.

Do you think that offensive line is still going to look "solid"?

We all knew or should've known the line was going to be bad. I know I did at least. Fisher and Allen should be good to go for the opener. This line will be ok.

Mav
08-22-2015, 11:22 PM

The majority of the talent on this team is on defense. The last two first rounders were spent on defense.

This is a defensive team who only needs to be complimented by the offense. Facts. Not opinion. Flat out facts.

Mav
08-22-2015, 11:24 PM
False. You will see.

Hell, you should already be seeing it. If you were watching games, anyway.

So which is it. Do preseason games matter or not? I'm confused.

BryanBusby
08-22-2015, 11:26 PM
I think Fisher, Grubbs, Kush, Fulton/Allen, and Stephenson can block the Texans.

The sorry asses of Asamoah and Fisher at RT did a pretty damn good job against Watt in 2013.
Watt is a better player now than in 13, they have better edge rushing and a legit NT.

The Chiefs are going to struggle.

RealSNR
08-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Watt is a better player now than in 13, they have better edge rushing and a legit NT.

The Chiefs are going to struggle.

MOST teams will struggle. That's a formidable defensive line.

So what? That's what you get when you play the Texans. You're not going to find many offensive lines in this league capable of shutting them down completely.

BryanBusby
08-22-2015, 11:37 PM
Your previous post seems to indicate they would be fine.

They're fucked. Lets be real. We're just lucky they don't have a legit QB and Foster has a terrible trainer.

NJChiefsFan
08-22-2015, 11:40 PM
Pardon me for coming to the defense of Clay, but I don't think it's that crazy to have concerns. It's not about Friday's game. Being concerned that the oline won't be cohesive going into game 1 is something that is a real possibility right now. Especially when our best lineman is new, our center will be new or basically new, and the other spots are switching in and out because of injuries.

I would hope this team led by a number of vets and a vet coach wouldn't allow a flat, shit start like last year. But it's reasonable for people to have that in the back of their mind. Add that to the injuries and lack of depth and I think it's fair to be concerned.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 11:41 PM

They're fucked. Lets be real. We're just lucky they don't have a legit QB and Foster has a terrible trainer.

LMAO

Funny, they weren't "fucked" against the Seahawks "formidable" defense, nor were they "fucked" against the formidable Cardinals defense.

You know who's fucked? The Texans. Brian Hoyer? No TE. No RB. Aging offensive line. One WR.

But yeah, it's the Chiefs that are "fucked".

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2015, 11:42 PM
Pardon me for coming to the defense of Clay, but I don't think it's that crazy to have concerns. It's not about Friday's game. Being concerned that the oline won't be cohesive going into game 1 is something that is a real possibility right now. Especially when our best lineman is new, our center will be new or basically new, and the other spots are switching in and out because of injuries.

I would hope this team led by a number of vets and a vet coach wouldn't allow a flat, shit start like last year. But it's reasonable for people to have that in the back of their mind. Add that to the injuries and lack of depth and I think it's fair to be concerned.

It wasn't the Chiefs best talent out there last night. A 2nd year, 6th round pick, an old 7th rounder playing right tackle when he's played 50+ games at right guard. A 2nd string left tackle. And still, the Chiefs moved the ball and scored, something Seattle couldn't do.

No one ever said it would be easy.

RealSNR
08-22-2015, 11:48 PM

Watt will get his, dude.

Watt gets his against EVERY FUCKING TEAM.

It doesn't matter who you put in front of him.

The Chiefs OL will do a good enough job to beat the Texans because their DL is all they've fucking got.

BryanBusby
08-22-2015, 11:48 PM
LMAO

Funny, they weren't "fucked" against the Seahawks "formidable" defense, nor were they "fucked" against the formidable Cardinals defense.

You know who's fucked? The Texans. Brian Hoyer? No TE. No RB. Aging offensive line. One WR.

But yeah, it's the Chiefs that are "fucked".
The formidable Seahawks D that played none of their starters in the secondary. Sure the right side of the line will look different in Houston, but Watt and Wilfork will probably command a double team.

Don't really give a big fuck about the Texans TE. They've got weapons at WR.

Houston isn't unbeatable by any means, but lets not pretend we're just gonna waltz on in and shove our dicks in their asses.
Watt will get his, dude.

Watt gets his against EVERY FUCKING TEAM.

It doesn't matter who you put in front of him.

The Chiefs OL will do a good enough job to beat the Texans because their DL is all they've fucking got.
Well yeah Watt is gonna get action regardless. They've got more than just Watt now, which is the problem. Our problem is Alex Smith is a puss when the rush hits.

NJChiefsFan
08-22-2015, 11:50 PM
It wasn't the Chiefs best talent out there last night. A 2nd year, 6th round pick, an old 7th rounder playing right tackle when he's played 50+ games at right guard. A 2nd string left tackle.

And still, the Chiefs moved the ball and scored, something Seattle couldn't do.

I know and I didn't walk away from that game thinking it was any kind of true indicator. Still as I mentioned, there are other reasons to still be a little uncomfortable.

The Chiefs did have one very nice drive. Also, if we are using injuries or people missing, we should point out that Lynch and Sherman didn't play. I'm not saying KC can't handle Lynch, they showed they could beat them. Not having Sherman helped.

I'm not trying to be negative. I like the Chiefs roster, and I really like what Dorsey is doing. I know Clay gets crucified for past transgressions, and fair enough, but I don't think being concerned is that crazy a stance to have.

Hammock Parties
08-22-2015, 11:56 PM
You know who's fucked? The Texans.

http://im.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-3277139451.gif

MotherfuckerJones
08-23-2015, 12:00 AM

Cherry picker

NJChiefsFan
08-23-2015, 12:02 AM
Hopikins was top 10 in league in percentage of teams targets, and that was with Johnson there. Chiefs need to force the ball away from him and they should do well against that offense.

MotherfuckerJones
08-23-2015, 12:04 AM
Hopikins was top 10 in league in percentage of teams targets, and that was with Johnson there. Chiefs need to force the ball away from him and they should do well against that offense.

With Foster out, they need to take away Hopkins. We have the defense. Alex just can't give Watt any INT TDs

Mav
08-23-2015, 12:41 AM

Quick. Name one 49er worth a shit in there right now. Psst. The 49ers defense is asshole right now.

Bob Dole
08-23-2015, 06:11 AM
LMAO

Funny, they weren't "****ed" against the Seahawks "formidable" defense, nor were they "****ed" against the formidable Cardinals defense.

You know who's ****ed? The Texans. Brian Hoyer? No TE. No RB. Aging offensive line. One WR.

But yeah, it's the Chiefs that are "****ed".

They apparently haven't settled on Hoyer. We may get to feast on Ryan Mallett.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-23-2015, 07:27 AM
So which is it. Do preseason games matter or not? I'm confused.

The starting line of preseason game #1, sans injuries, all bodies on the field, should be enough.

I won't discount game planning for the regs, but I sure as hell wouldn't stake my season on it either.

Mav
08-23-2015, 07:30 AM
The starting line of preseason game #1, sans injuries, all bodies on the field, should be enough.

I won't discount game planning for the regs, but I sure as hell wouldn't stake my season on it either.

Yeah. And I'm not trolling you or anything, but it's easy to see people do well in preseason against guys who won't be on NFL rosters in a month.

Andy Reid saying how catapano played ok versus the ones, but much better against the twos. Like the drop off is ridiculous.

milkman
08-23-2015, 08:10 AM
They spent a 2nd round pick on Morse and want to get him into the future starting center they envision him being as soon as possible.

It's no different than the veteran QB who plays much better than the rookie, but the team nevertheless goes with the rookie.

And besides that, it's not like the Chiefs have come out and said, "Morse is the starter."

I really wouldn't be surprised at all to see Kush all of a sudden get first team reps in practice this week and in the next preseason game.

I would be surprised if Kush is given reps with the 1s.

As solid as he has been this preseason, which has come as a surprise to me, he doesn't have the strong base and the athletic ability to match Morse.

Morse is going to struggle due to his lack of experience, but his athletic ability gives him a big edge over Kush in this system.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Damn loaded squad and about to add an All Pro Guard to the fold. Fun times.

TEX
08-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Again, your definition of "solid" means something closer to that 2003 line than it does an average NFL offensive line. Your expectations are ridiculous.

We HAD a good group until we had lots of injuries. Right now your expectation is that the offensive line with ****ing Paul Fanaika at RT should have looked good against a top 5 DL in the NFL. The fact that it didn't means it's not "solid" or adequate.

It's not just unreasonable. It's ****ing stupid is what it is.

Whats stupid is you insisting on your agenda here. I clearly stated that the line is bottom 1\3 in the league (maybe even bottom 1/4 now that I think about it) and that's not good enough. I dont think we had a good group to begin with week 1 past Fish & Grubs. Im not talking about week 2 except to say we are lacking in quality depth, which might be the case many teams share... It all translates into the line is still not good enough this season as it stands now. You have a different opinion and that's fine. However, you keep forcing your agenda by bringing up the 2003 line and insisting its the standard that I want. You're completely wrong with that take.

Simply Red
08-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Look - we're 2 and 0, not sure what it takes to make you all happy - I mean; we have a LEGITIMATE chance at going 4 and 0 in Preseason - and nobody even shows excitement - SO FRUSTRATING - Go CHIEFS! 22 and 0!!!

Saccopoo
08-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Look - we're 2 and 0, not sure what it takes to make you all happy - I mean; we have a LEGITIMATE chance at going 4 and 0 in Preseason - and nobody even shows excitement - SO FRUSTRATING - Go CHIEFS! 22 and 0!!!

Because this place has been infected by a non-stop avalanche of subjective negativism where it's continually stated that nothing that this team does is good enough and we are all doomed to suffer a life time of misery because each and every little thing sucks so bad that it's obvious that the team just wants us to be a bunch of losers every day, every year for the rest of our lifetimes.

God forbid that the team has just had back to back winning seasons (with a playoff appearance too boot) for the first time since 1993 and looks to be geared up for a serious "contention" level season where they have started 2-0 in the preseason against two solid teams in the Cardinals and Seahawks.

But..."OH NOES!!!! WE ARE TOTALLY FUCKED BECAUSE WE ARE THE CHIEFS!!!!!! (Yeah, sure, they don't have anything else to go on other than their own pessimistic, loser attitudes and therefore shit on every single aspect of the team - good, bad, regardless.)

They might as well just call this place "Claynus' Planet" and be done with it.

Either that, or just fucking flush the obvious turds and clean this place up and make it what it once was - an objective arena where informed, insightful Chiefs discussion could be found.

You know it's bad when guys like DaFace are putting out thread starters regarding the obvious degradation of the quality of the board.

It's not going to get better until you cut out the cancers.

Kill the fucking trolls.

Rivermike87
08-23-2015, 09:21 AM
Because this place has been infected by a non-stop avalanche of subjective negativism where it's continually stated that nothing that this team does is good enough and we are all doomed to suffer a life time of misery because each and every little thing sucks so bad that it's obvious that the team just wants us to be a bunch of losers every day, every year for the rest of our lifetimes.

God forbid that the team has just had back to back winning seasons (with a playoff appearance too boot) for the first time since 1993 and looks to be geared up for a serious "contention" level season where they have started 2-0 in the preseason against two solid teams in the Cardinals and Seahawks.

But..."OH NOES!!!! WE ARE TOTALLY FUCKED BECAUSE WE ARE THE CHIEFS!!!!!! (Yeah, sure, they don't have anything else to go on other than their own pessimistic, loser attitudes and therefore shit on every single aspect of the team - good, bad, regardless.)

Either that, or just fucking flush the obvious turds and clean this place up and make it what it once was - an objective arena where informed, insightful Chiefs discussion could be found.

You know it's bad when guys like DaFace are putting out thread starters regarding the obvious degradation of the quality of the board.

Kill the fucking trolls.

AMEN

staylor26
08-23-2015, 09:29 AM

But..."OH NOES!!!! WE ARE TOTALLY ****ED BECAUSE WE ARE THE CHIEFS!!!!!! (Yeah, sure, they don't have anything else to go on other than their own pessimistic, loser attitudes and therefore shit on every single aspect of the team - good, bad, regardless.)

Either that, or just ****ing flush the obvious turds and clean this place up and make it what it once was - an objective arena where informed, insightful Chiefs discussion could be found.

Kill the ****ing trolls.

:clap:

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-23-2015, 11:27 AM
And, Sacc crying again with the usual cast of homertastic spazzoids backing his ass up.

Look, dip shit;

The Chiefs have done "quite a few things" right under Dorsey. Unfortunately, trying to cover the obvious turd-whacker behind Center with a band-aid and duct tape isn't one of them.

And no, an entire depth chart of Shields'-es, Roaf's, and Grunhardt's would not improve the brains and balls of the guy taking the snap.

Let's just get to these fucking games, already.