PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs QUOTABLE:"I went extra slow.''

mikey23545
08-23-2015, 03:08 AM
QUOTABLE:

''The ride to the stadium, smelling the barbecue, seeing the fans waving - I made sure I had my windows rolled down so I could take it all in. I went extra slow.'' - Chiefs safety Eric Berry, who played at Arrowhead Stadium for the first time since he was diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma last December. Berry was deemed cancer-free in June after several rounds of chemotherapy.

MotherfuckerJones
08-23-2015, 03:13 AM
Had a completely different thought from the thread title ROFL

scho63
08-23-2015, 07:15 AM
"The ride to the White House, the smell of Bill's old whores, seeing the fans wave. I made sure my server was wiped clean so I could get it all off. I went extra slow."
Hillary Clinton

displacedinMN
08-23-2015, 07:40 AM
Still an amazing story. Has anyone ever had cancer treatments then played an Nfl game?
If he plays one play, he makes history and becomes a god.

We know that people that are in great shape recover faster that us slobs that are not. DJ and his Achilles. AMAZING! I have had both achilles cut by heel spurs and can barely tip toe anymore. Have to go in again because of extra bone growth in the healing process.

Everyone should look at the Chiefs with amazement and know what they have overcome with injuries.

Saccopoo
08-23-2015, 07:56 AM
"The ride to the White House, the smell of Bill's old whores, seeing the fans wave. I made sure my server was wiped clean so I could get it all off. I went extra slow."
Hillary Clinton

http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/banhammer.jpg

Mr. Laz
08-23-2015, 08:08 AM
"dumbass

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30

lewdog
08-23-2015, 08:28 AM
Hillary Clinton

I'm a dumbass and ruining good threads.

:facepalm:

rico
08-23-2015, 08:48 AM
You know, I bet that KC Barbecue stuff is pretty good leverage that would prompt players to want to play for KC. I always cringe when I see players get drafted by Buffalo...just the disappointment on their faces. I always hope our draftees don't get that same expression on their faces... They are prolly all like, "ahhh hell yeah, gon eat me some barbecue, fo sho!" when they get drafted by the Chiefs.

notorious
08-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Still an amazing story. Has anyone ever had cancer treatments then played an Nfl game?
If he plays one play, he makes history and becomes a god.

I don't think he is just going to play, but I think he is going to be great.

If this team gets hot in the playoffs, his story is going to be transcendent.

Simply Red
08-23-2015, 09:31 AM
that's really cool. I can imagine you appreciate things in life you'd normally pass right by, once you've conquered such a horrible illness. Very nice read, thanks Mikey. Hope you're doing well.

GloucesterChief
08-23-2015, 09:59 AM

I don't know about the NFL but Mario Lemieux had cancer and after being treated played in the NHL. In fact he played the day of his last treatment.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Berry and Hali are my two favorite Chiefs of this era.

NIUhuskies
08-23-2015, 02:53 PM
I don't know about the NFL but Mario Lemieux had cancer and after being treated played in the NHL. In fact he played the day of his last treatment.

Remember Mark Herzlich on the Giants? That was pretty recent too. He just didnt pull it off as fast as Berry did.

Beating the odds in a fight against a deadly cancer for most people would mean staying alive. For Mark Herzlich, who was diagnosed with bone cancer while he was a football star at Boston College, living meant playing football in the NFL. Three years later, he's living his dream on the New York Giants, a titanium rod supporting his now cancer-free left leg, starring in a sports story that's an inspiration to millions. Byron Pitts profiles the Giants player on "60 Minutes" Sunday, Oct. 30 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Extra practice, workouts and special regimens to get back the strength and agility that made him a college star finally paid off when he made the Giants this summer. "He's a football player. He's dedicated. He's smart. He learns very quickly," says New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin. "And he earned it primarily on his special teams play and his intelligence. You tell him one time what to do and he does it."

Resuming full-contact hitting on the football field again was exhilarating, for Herzlich. "It was awesome. I felt like normal again," he tells Pitts. But normal isn't good enough in the NFL. "There is still... I just got to prove I can help this team win. They asked me to come here because they wanted to see if I could play football and not see if I was over my cancer," says Herzlich.

The journey to get over the cancer and into the NFL began with a decision doctors did not recommend. Instead of a cadaver bone to replace his cancerous femur, he opted to treat the cancer with chemotherapy and radiation and shore up the femur with the titanium rod. It would give him his best chance to play football again.

He returned to Boston College to play last fall, but after the season, he was not drafted by the NFL. Determined to make it, he began training in Florida - a grueling program to prepare him for the pros. A final MRI gave him the go-ahead he needed to play at the pro level. His dream started to fall into place when the NFL strike ended and he was called by several teams for tryouts. He picked the Giants. "It's definitely the right fit for me and you know I'm ready to go," he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-giants-cancer-survivor-mark-herzlich-on-60-minutes/

big nasty kcnut
08-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Berry is awesome i'm glad he beat cancer like the bitch it is and can't wait to see berry do things!

TimBone
08-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Me too, the first time with my wife. I knew she was going to be someone special.

TribalElder
08-23-2015, 04:15 PM
He went extra slow

Until the parking gestapo told him to move along now in a counter clockwise rotation and do not try saving a space for your family to park