PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What we learned: Chiefs boast new set of triplets

beach tribe
08-29-2015, 09:25 AM
What we learned: Chiefs boast new set of triplets

It's common knowledge that Alex Smith didn't throw a single touchdown to a wide receiver last season. But did you realize the streak had reached 594 consecutive days before last week's touchdown pass to Jeremy Maclin?

If the preseason is any indication, it won't take long for the Smith-Maclin connection to find pay dirt once the games begin to count in September.

The two made beautiful music in Friday night's victory over the Titans, making it abundantly clear that Maclin has earned Smith's trust with impeccable route running and reliable hands. Whereas Dwayne Bowe moved like a lumbering tight end the past two years, Maclin still has the look of a sleek go-to receiver outside of Chip Kelly's receiver-friendly Eagles offense.

Watch out-of-market games

Maclin was targeted on seven of Smith's 18 first-half pass attempts, hauling in seven passes for 65 yards.

Smith didn't trust his arm beyond 10 yards last season, in large part because he didn't have the luxury of field-stretching playmakers.

Now he has Maclin to go with elusive All-Pro tailback Jamaal Charles and a Rob Gronkowski knockoff in tackle-breaking tight end Travis Kelce.

The renewed "triplets" debate was all the rage last season, with the Steelers' trio of Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown vying with the Cowboys' dominance of Tony Romo, DeMarco Murray and Dez Bryant.

Smith is one of the rare quarterbacks with his own set of triplets at running back, tight end and wide receiver.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000517581/article/what-we-learned-chiefs-boast-new-set-of-triplets

Mr. Laz
08-29-2015, 09:27 AM
Maclin,Kelce and Charles could be ... should be our "triplets" if Smith and the Oline do their jobs.

Simply Red
08-29-2015, 09:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5AffMNU.gif

ThaVirus
08-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Name a team with a better #1WR-TE-RB combination than the Chiefs...

cdcox
08-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Brown -- Bell -- Miller isn't shabby.

Bowser
08-29-2015, 10:27 AM
What we learned: Chiefs boast new set of triplets

It's common knowledge that Alex Smith didn't throw a single touchdown to a wide receiver last season. But did you realize the streak had reached 594 consecutive days before last week's touchdown pass to Jeremy Maclin?

If the preseason is any indication, it won't take long for the Smith-Maclin connection to find pay dirt once the games begin to count in September.

The two made beautiful music in Friday night's victory over the Titans, making it abundantly clear that Maclin has earned Smith's trust with impeccable route running and reliable hands. Whereas Dwayne Bowe moved like a lumbering tight end the past two years, Maclin still has the look of a sleek go-to receiver outside of Chip Kelly's receiver-friendly Eagles offense.

Watch out-of-market games

Maclin was targeted on seven of Smith's 18 first-half pass attempts, hauling in seven passes for 65 yards.

Smith didn't trust his arm beyond 10 yards last season, in large part because he didn't have the luxury of field-stretching playmakers.

Now he has Maclin to go with elusive All-Pro tailback Jamaal Charles and a Rob Gronkowski knockoff in tackle-breaking tight end Travis Kelce.

The renewed "triplets" debate was all the rage last season, with the Steelers' trio of Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown vying with the Cowboys' dominance of Tony Romo, DeMarco Murray and Dez Bryant.

Smith is one of the rare quarterbacks with his own set of triplets at running back, tight end and wide receiver.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000517581/article/what-we-learned-chiefs-boast-new-set-of-triplets

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3el3bXPvWP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://z3.ifrm.com/28085/158/0/a1215922/avatar-1215922.jpg

ThaVirus
08-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Brown -- Bell -- Miller isn't shabby.

That's the only one I can think of that is a good comparison. Brown is decidedly better than Maclin, JC and Bell are a wash at best for the Steelers, and Kelce is better than Miller by a long shot.

saphojunkie
08-29-2015, 11:38 AM
The thing that stuck out for me re watching today is how quickly maclin gets to his spot and is open. For a QB that doesn't like to go downfield and an OL that has protection issues, having a WR who is blazing fast off the block helps immensely. Smith had a couple throws that were out of his hand the second he finished his drop back. Bowe couldn't do that.

Hammock Parties
08-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Smith had a couple throws that were out of his hand the second he finished his drop back. Bowe couldn't do that.

I was very impressed with Maclin averaging under 10 YPC. Bowe certainly never did that.

Halfcan
08-29-2015, 11:45 AM
The thing that stuck out for me re watching today is how quickly maclin gets to his spot and is open. For a QB that doesn't like to go downfield and an OL that has protection issues, having a WR who is blazing fast off the block helps immensely. Smith had a couple throws that were out of his hand the second he finished his drop back. Bowe couldn't do that.

:thumb: Teams will have to play their best on Maclin or he will be open all day. He was impressive.

Buehler445
08-29-2015, 11:45 AM
That's the only one I can think of that is a good comparison. Brown is decidedly better than Maclin, JC and Bell are a wash at best for the Steelers, and Kelce is better than Miller by a long shot.

Charles is a lot better than bell. Kelce isn't as much better than miller as you think.

saphojunkie
08-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Just watched a play thirty seconds into the second quarter. The RB is wide open in the flat and Alex never looks at him. Instead, he threads the needle to Maclin for a first down.

That.... didn't happen last year.

penbrook
08-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Charles is a lot better than bell. Kelce isn't as much better than miller as you think.

Miller is old! He used to be really good but not anymore! If Murray was still on the Cowboys it would be Romo Murray and Witten

ThaVirus
08-29-2015, 11:48 AM

Based on recent production, I think many would agree with me. Bell had over 2,000 yards from scrimmage last season which included 800 receiving yards, over 100 more than Jamaal's ever recorded in a single season. He's like 6'2 240. I don't think he had a single fumble all year.

I think Jamaal is better, but trying to be objective, I'd say that comparison is much closer than that of Kelce and Miller. Kelce is so much better than Heath.

cdcox
08-29-2015, 11:54 AM
Based on recent production, I think many would agree with me. Bell had over 2,000 yards from scrimmage last season which included 800 receiving yards, over 100 more than Jamaal's ever recorded in a single season. He's like 6'2 240. I don't think he had a single fumble all year.

I think Jamaal is better, but trying to be objective, I'd say that comparison is much closer than that of Kelce and Miller. Kelce is so much better than Heath.

Charles is more explosive but Bell is more productive. I don't think any objective person will argue that. Bell is also younger.

ChiefsCountry
08-29-2015, 11:58 AM
Name a team with a better #1WR-TE-RB combination than the Chiefs...

Cowboys

Dez and Whitten > Maclin and Kelce
Charles > Cowboys backs

ThaVirus
08-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Charles is more explosive but Bell is more productive. I don't think any objective person will argue that. Bell is also younger.

Bell's only had one season that would be considered great. Jamaal's had a few by several different measures. He had his breakout year in '09 where he led the league in rushing after he took over as the starter. He had the 6.4 YPC season in '10. He had 1,500 yards coming off an ACL tear in '12. He had a league-leading 19 TDs in '13.

Even last year, Bell had more yards but Jamaal scored more TDs despite missing 2 games. He also averages more YPC (obvi).

ThaVirus
08-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Cowboys

Dez and Whitten > Maclin and Kelce

Charles > Cowboys backs

If they still had Murray I'd give it to them, but with McFadden primed to start, I think we edge them out.

I'd give Dez an A+ and Maclin a B or B+.

Witten gets a B+ due solely to his reliability. Kelce gets an A-.

Jamaal gets an A+ and McFadden gets a D.

Hoover
08-29-2015, 12:04 PM
The amount of speed that the Chiefs have in Maclin, Kelce, and Charles is amazing. Then you add someone like D'AT to the mix and I think we are going to develop a pretty damn good #2 WR with this offense. Opposing defenses are going to have to defend our passing game like never before. This is great news for the o-line and especially the running game.

I'm expecting big things this year.

ThaVirus
08-29-2015, 12:06 PM
What's up with DAT anyway? Is he dinged up? I haven't heard much of him lately.

Radar Chief
08-29-2015, 12:32 PM
What's up with DAT anyway? Is he dinged up? I haven't heard much of him lately.

Thought he had a cracked rib, if I'm thinking of the right guy.

Edit: nope had it wrong. Report has him out with calf strain.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/injury-report.html

Rausch
08-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Denver is pretty close - and they have a better QB...

jjchieffan
08-29-2015, 12:59 PM
Denver is pretty close - and they have a better QB...

Huh?? I hope you're trolling because Dungver isn't even close. I'll give you Sanders is just as good as Maclin. Demarius Thomas is just a by product of Manning. Julius Thomas is gone so TE is a big question mark. And their running backs all combined couldn't hold JC's jockstrap. As for having a better QB, maybe for the first 6-8 weeks, if that. But Manning is done. I don't see his year overall being anywhere near his past years.

KCUnited
08-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Andy Reid is our Octomom.

kc79
08-29-2015, 01:24 PM
The amount of speed that the Chiefs have in Maclin, Kelce, and Charles is amazing. Then you add someone like D'AT to the mix and I think we are going to develop a pretty damn good #2 WR with this offense. Opposing defenses are going to have to defend our passing game like never before. This is great news for the o-line and especially the running game.

It all depends on the Oline. Smith is a accurate QB with little to no pressure. You're so right about all of the weapons on offense. Get healthy Oline

Mav
08-29-2015, 01:26 PM

Don't forget Wison, west, and knile. Who are all fast as hell. We have a track team.

MagicHef
08-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Seattle has Baldwin, Graham, Lynch.

TEX
08-29-2015, 02:21 PM

Speaking of DAT - What's up with him?

penbrook
08-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Maclin > Baldwin
Kelce < Graham
Charles > Lynch

ThaVirus
08-29-2015, 02:41 PM

AJ Green-Tyler Eifert-Jeremy Hill could be pretty good as well if Eifert can bounce back from injury and reach his full potential.

MagicHef
08-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Huh?? I hope you're trolling because Dungver isn't even close. I'll give you Sanders is just as good as Maclin. Demarius Thomas is just a by product of Manning. Julius Thomas is gone so TE is a big question mark. And their running backs all combined couldn't hold JC's jockstrap. As for having a better QB, maybe for the first 6-8 weeks, if that. But Manning is done. I don't see his year overall being anywhere near his past years.

LMAO

Mav
08-29-2015, 02:42 PM
AJ Green-Tyler Eifert-Jeremy Hill could be pretty good as well if Eifert can bounce back from injury and reach his full potential.

Unfortunately they have a terrible qb

Mav
08-29-2015, 02:44 PM

So they have lynch and graham.

ThaVirus
08-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Ah, the Bears. That's who I was forgetting.

Alshon Jeffery-Martellus Bennet-Matt Forte.

ThaVirus
08-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Agholor-Ertz-Murray, Landry/Parker-Cameron-Miller and Cooper-Rivera-Murray have potential.

Boldin-Davis-Hyde and Johnson/Hilton-Fleener-Gore could be good combos.

The Bills picked up Charles Clay, right? Watkins-Clay-McCoy is pretty good. The Bills might be the most talented team in the league.

Mav
08-29-2015, 02:49 PM
Agholor-Ertz-Murray, Landry/Parker-Cameron-Miller and Cooper-Rivera-Murray have potential.

Boldin-Davis-Hyde and Johnson/Hilton-Fleener-Gore could be good combos.

The Bills picked up Charles Clay, right? Watkins-Clay-McCoy is pretty good. The Bills might be the most talented team in the league.

They have Harvin too. You may be right.

MagicHef
08-29-2015, 02:57 PM
So they have lynch and graham.

Before his one season in a Chip Kelly offense, Maclin had remarkably similar production to what Baldwin has had throughout his career.

Mav
08-29-2015, 02:58 PM
Before his one season in a Chip Kelly offense, Maclin had remarkably similar production to what Baldwin has had throughout his career.

I don't believe I was arguing for the Chiefs but merely pointing out that Baldwin is average.

jjchieffan
08-29-2015, 03:36 PM
LMAO

We'll see who's laughing come midseason.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-30-2015, 11:57 PM

Trollolol Nothing like Sanders before joining that gimmick offense out in Pile High

MotherfuckerJones
08-31-2015, 12:11 AM
Manning's arm is a huge concern. I first thought, well for three years we've been clowning on his arm but he still owns us. Then I watched his preseason game Saturday night. Oh my. He threw duck after duck. That line is an issue. Especially up the middle. Manning and that offense was not in sync and they were facing a new destroyed 49er defense. They moved the ball but not at will. His INT in the end zone was horrendous. His throw into the end zone on the other end of the field to Thomas was under thrown and terrible. Even the Denver announcer John Lynch commented saying, "Manning is throwing wounded ducks." Favre went out like a chump, now Manning could be doing the same. There's a reason they had preliminary discussions with Houston.

-King-
08-31-2015, 12:24 AM
Manning's arm is a huge concern. I first thought, well for three years we've been clowning on his arm but he still owns us. Then I watched his preseason game Saturday night. Oh my. He threw duck after duck. That line is an issue. Especially up the middle. Manning and that offense was not in sync and they were facing a new destroyed 49er defense. They moved the ball but not at will. His INT in the end zone was horrendous. His throw into the end zone on the other end of the field to Thomas was under thrown and terrible. Even the Denver announcer John Lynch commented saying, "Manning is throwing wounded ducks." Favre went out like a chump, now Manning could be doing the same. There's a reason they had preliminary discussions with Houston.

https://i.gyazo.com/e1e261c22154f1dc7b8f7e80635c80e0.gif

I approve of that hit on Manning :thumb:

MotherfuckerJones
08-31-2015, 12:29 AM
ROFL he had the TE WIDE open and missed it. I'm telling ya. Pressure up the middle. God I hope Poe is superman and comes back early. He'd be huge for this game.

That hit looked like it hurt. Manning was Bowmans bitch all night. Denver has an awesome defense. No doubt, but their offense is going to struggle. It's no longer a juggernaut. Simply can't lose all that they did and expect it to not miss a beat.