PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Best way for first timer to make crawfish?

booger
08-29-2015, 07:24 PM
Assuming boiling is the best way to prepare it. Any tips suggestions or info is much appreciated

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Boil them in Butter and Tabasco. :D

Bob Dole
08-29-2015, 07:29 PM
Pretty much any shrimp/crawfish boil works. cut up some taters and chop some ears of corn to about 3 inches. Boil

Mr. Flopnuts
08-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Pretty much any shrimp/crawfish boil works. cut up some taters and chop some ears of corn to about 3 inches. Boil

This!

Bob Dole
08-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Boil them in Butter and Tabasco. :D

Is that yankee mudbugs?

Bugeater
08-29-2015, 07:31 PM
Boil them at medium heat for 30 minutes, and then throw them away and go get some type of real food.

booger
08-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Boil them at medium heat for 30 minutes, and then throw them away and go get some type of real food.
:LOL:
Go shuck corn you buzzard!

booger
08-29-2015, 07:41 PM

Ok yeah saw YouTube vid on that. Looks good.

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Is that yankee mudbugs?

I don't know, but it sounds good. :)

Bob Dole
08-29-2015, 07:45 PM
And if they are curled up (dead), do not cook them.

booger
08-29-2015, 09:19 PM
And if they are curled up (dead), do not cook them.

Tails I assume? Frozen so I will check

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Check them for worms . Crawfish worms are bad this year for some reason.

chiefzilla1501
08-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Tails I assume? Frozen so I will check

Frozen works. But for crawfish, live makes a very very big difference.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Throw them down the garbage disposal and order NY pizza!

:D

Simply Red
08-29-2015, 09:50 PM

Only Hog Farmer knows this secret.

booger
08-30-2015, 07:36 AM
how big are the worms?
Frozen works. But for crawfish, live makes a very very big difference.
Thanks. Will try that next time if I don't mess these up
Throw them down the garbage disposal and order NY pizza!

:D
:thumb: That seems easier than messing around and eating fish bait but i'm always making these goofy choices! Chicken hearts and gizzards are another favorite.
Only Hog Farmer knows this secret.
he is sharp at this stuff. Did you know crawdad's have corkscrew dicks like boars?

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-30-2015, 07:40 AM
]how big are the worms[/B]?

Thanks. Will try that next time if I don't mess these up

:thumb: That seems easier than messing around and eating fish bait but i'm always making these goofy choices! Chicken hearts and gizzards are another favorite.

he is sharp at this stuff. Did you know crawdad's have corkscrew dicks like boars?

They get heartworms, if you are getting whole crawfish you can remove the heart and cut it in half to check. If getting the tails you can see the heartworm eggs under the meat at the base of the tail. Usually pink in color.

booger
08-30-2015, 07:45 AM
They get heartworms, if you are getting whole crawfish you can remove the heart and cut it in half to check. If getting the tails you can see the heartworm eggs under the meat at the base of the tail. Usually pink in color.

yeah got them whole. Thanks:thumb:

Red Dawg
08-30-2015, 07:48 AM
Disgusting.

Stryker
08-30-2015, 08:10 AM
Oh good lord!

Take it from a guy from Louisiana:

I use a combination of these 2 recipes -

Crawfish boil

1 sack

1/2 jar large Zataran's boil
4 garlic - cut off heads
4 - yellow onion cut in 1/2
Boil
Add small potatoes
Boil 7 min
Add corn, mushrooms & sausage
Boil 5 min
Add sack of crawfish
Boil 8 min
Shut off remove and dump in ice chest

For shrimp, same as above - boil 2 minutes

Crawfish Boil

One jar of zatarain's pro boil 53 oz jar
Two to three pouches zatarain's crab boil in a bag, comes in a small box
6 lemons cut in half
6 large onions cut in half
6 whole garlic pods just cut the tip off
1 - 2 lbs smoked sausage

Put all in water about 2/3 filled in pot. Put burner on high with lid on bring to rolling boil. While waiting on water to boil. Put crawfish in ice chest and keep a hose running in it to flush and clean the crawfish. When water is a hard rolling boil drain ice chest and dump crawfish in pot. Put lid on with flame still on high and bring back to boil. When water is back at a rolling boil keep boiling for three minutes then kill fire and keep lid on. Let soak for 25 minutes. Pull basket, drain, pour out on table to serve. Open lots of beer. Enjoy!

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/14/29/01/0007142901748_500X500.jpg

Predarat
08-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Zataran's makes good helpers, especially if its your first time making something.

BigMeatballDave
08-30-2015, 08:49 AM
Zataran's makes good helpers, especially if its your first time making something.

Zataran's fucking owns. Especially their Jambalaya mix.

Simply Red
08-30-2015, 10:19 AM
yeah got them whole. Thanks:thumb: :LOL:

Disgusting.

:LOL::LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Simply Red
08-30-2015, 10:20 AM
In Indonesia - they'll serve Crawdad worms solo w/ a lemon wedge and a shot of creek water. Very old tradition.

Fish
08-30-2015, 10:24 AM
Be sure and remove the penises beforehand. It's much more difficult after they're boiled.

booger
08-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Which are bigger, their hearts, peckers, or worms themselves?

R8RFAN
08-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Oh good lord!

Crawfish boil

1 sack

4 garlic - cut off heads
Boil
Add small potatoes
Boil 7 min
Boil 5 min
Add sack of crawfish
Boil 8 min

Crawfish Boil

6 lemons cut in half
1 - 2 lbs smoked sausage

Put all in water about 2/3 filled in pot. Put burner on high with lid on bring to rolling boil. While waiting on water to boil. Put crawfish in ice chest and keep a hose running in it to flush and clean the crawfish. When water is a hard rolling boil drain ice chest and dump crawfish in pot. Put lid on with flame still on high and bring back to boil. When water is back at a rolling boil keep boiling for three minutes then kill fire and keep lid on. Let soak for 25 minutes. Pull basket, drain, pour out on table to serve. Open lots of beer. Enjoy!

This ^^^ Add corn on the cob

TimBone
08-30-2015, 08:11 PM
This ^^^ Add corn on the cob
His first recipe has corn, you silly Billy.

DJ's left nut
08-31-2015, 09:23 AM
I'll always throw a few smoked sausages into a boil as well - mostly it's just because eating crawfish is a little labor intensive and it doesn't hurt to just have some hunks of cut up protein in there when you're wanting a break from messing with tails the whole time.

Since yours are frozen, this may have been done already. However, live really is the way to go and if you go live, I strongly recommend you purge them first. Some people will say that a salt brine makes them vomit up their last meals, but scientifically it's probably bullshit. You just take your crawfish and put them in a large cooler full of fresh water with a bubbler to keep it oxygenated. Then you leave them in there for 24-48 hours, replacing the water every few hours to keep it clean.

Remember - these things eat the nastiest shit on the planet and if they're still digesting it when captured, then you're eating it as well. Whereas if you essentially starve them and keep replacing their water with clean water, they'll cycle all that shit out of their bodies and you'll get a much better tasting crawfish for your efforts. It takes a little more work, but it's worth the effort, IMO.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-31-2015, 09:26 AM
I'll always throw a few smoked sausages into a boil as well - mostly it's just because eating crawfish is a little labor intensive and it doesn't hurt to just have some hunks of cut up protein in there when you're wanting a break from messing with tails the whole time.

Since yours are frozen, this may have been done already. However, live really is the way to go and if you go live, I strongly recommend you purge them first. Some people will say that a salt brine makes them vomit up their last meals, but scientifically it's probably bullshit. You just take your crawfish and put them in a large cooler full of fresh water with a bubbler to keep it oxygenated. Then you leave them in there for 24-48 hours, replacing the water every few hours to keep it clean.

Remember - these things eat the nastiest shit on the planet and if they're still digesting it when captured, then you're eating it as well. Whereas if you essentially starve them and keep replacing their water with clean water, they'll cycle all that shit out of their bodies and you'll get a much better tasting crawfish for your efforts. It takes a little more work, but it's worth the effort, IMO.

Any thoughts on a good way to remove the worms ?

DJ's left nut
08-31-2015, 09:33 AM
Any thoughts on a good way to remove the worms ?

That's some family secret level shit you're asking for right there. Why would I divulge that kind of information?

kstater
08-31-2015, 09:42 AM
Be sure to suck the head. Best part

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-31-2015, 09:47 AM
That's some family secret level shit you're asking for right there. Why would I divulge that kind of information?

Well, we don't want booger wormy.

L.A. Chieffan
08-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Jesus I used to like crawfish

booger
09-09-2015, 04:25 AM
No worms! Tails were good but the heads tasted like shit

ChiefGator
09-09-2015, 04:54 AM
Just had a blue crab boil last weekend.. Pretty much same recipe. You can't see the potatoes at the very bottom I guess, which soaked up the Zatarain's crab boil flavor and were sooo delicious.

https://sobekdigital.com/mark/crabboil.jpg

booger
09-09-2015, 05:20 AM
Yep that z stuff however you say it gives it a good flavor

Stryker
09-09-2015, 06:22 AM
Yep that z stuff however you say it gives it a good flavor

Good job :thumb:

It's pronounced

Zat (rhymes with Pat)
er
ans

allen_kcCard
09-09-2015, 07:02 AM
Just had a blue crab boil last weekend.. Pretty much same recipe. You can't see the potatoes at the very bottom I guess, which soaked up the Zatarain's crab boil flavor and were sooo delicious.

https://sobekdigital.com/mark/crabboil.jpg

Hard boiled eggs?

ChiefGator
09-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Hard boiled eggs?

I wanted to see if they would take the crab boil flavor if I just tossed them in near the end.. they didn't. A friend of mine does that in a boil of his, but I think he boils them, removes the shell, and then tosses them in for the boil. They end up a little tough, but absorb the flavor that way.

Next time I would probably use quail eggs and see how that works.

DJ's left nut
09-09-2015, 08:45 AM
No worms! Tails were good but the heads tasted like shit

I still think that's something that bayou boys talked people into doing so they could laugh at them.

!@#$ the heads. There's no meat in them; you're essentially just sucking up a fishy broth. Well if that's what you're after, just pour yourself a bowl of the leftover boil water.

I stopped that crap years ago.

booger
09-09-2015, 09:11 AM
I still think that's something that bayou boys talked people into doing so they could laugh at them.

!@#$ the heads. There's no meat in them; you're essentially just sucking up a fishy broth. Well if that's what you're after, just pour yourself a bowl of the leftover boil water.

LMAO

I just ate the tails. That's a good description on the heads though. Turns your stomach thinking about it

Rausch
09-09-2015, 09:18 AM

1) Crawdad goes on hook.

2) Cast out and catch something worth eating.

3) If you catch nothing get better at fishing. Do not just say "Fuck it, I'll eat the bait..."

booger
09-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Hey man don't knock the bait. Chicken liver is good

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-09-2015, 10:01 AM
1) Crawdad goes on hook.

3) If you catch nothing get better at fishing. Do not just say "**** it, I'll eat the bait..."

:LOL:

Bingo

srvy
09-09-2015, 11:15 AM
1) Crawdad goes on hook.

3) If you catch nothing get better at fishing. Do not just say "Fuck it, I'll eat the bait..."

This pretty much nails it as far as I'm concerned.

Xanathol
09-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Oh good lord!

Crawfish boil

1 sack

4 garlic - cut off heads
Boil
Add small potatoes
Boil 7 min
Boil 5 min
Add sack of crawfish
Boil 8 min

Crawfish Boil

6 lemons cut in half
1 - 2 lbs smoked sausage

We do pretty much the same except we purge them with salt before hand (ie. while letting them soak, cover em in salt - gets all the bayou water out of them).

ModSocks
09-09-2015, 03:58 PM
I was never a fan of Sea Food. After this thread i sure as fuck won't be eating crawfish either.

Check heart for worms
Force them to puke before you boil them
Boil them alive

Fuck that, i'm out.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-09-2015, 04:23 PM
I'm craving seafood now!

srvy
09-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Is Crawfish seafood? Around here we always found them in stagnant water in creek, rivers and lakes. They fed off whatever nasty scum was in the water.

Just Passin' By
09-10-2015, 12:53 AM

It really adds some good flavor. Sometimes I'll use a little of it in a clam boil, as well.