PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Yeti Coolers

Dunit35
09-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Anybody own one of these bad boys?

What do you think of them?

I got my hands on one today. I bought a $5 ticket to win one back in early August. I actually won and picked it up today. $5 for a 35 qt Yeti Cooler.

Strongside
09-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Best coolers ever. Well worth the $$.

2bikemike
09-03-2015, 10:19 PM

I got my hands on one today. I bought a $5 ticket to win one back in early August. I actually won and picked it up today. $5 for a 35 qt Yeti Cooler.

It's a piece of crap, I will gladly refund your $5 and pay for shipping if you send the cooler to me.

In all seriousness they are pretty damn good. They should be for the price they charge.

Dunit35
09-03-2015, 10:21 PM
It's a piece of crap, I will gladly refund your $5 and pay for shipping if you send the cooler to me.

In all seriousness they are pretty damn good. They should be for the price they charge.

I'm thinking shipping would cost a couple hundo with the weight of this thing.

LiL stumppy
09-03-2015, 10:21 PM
we use one at work to store dry ice in. holds up well. i cannot imagine they are worth the price

Great Expectations
09-03-2015, 10:24 PM
I've got a 35 Yeti. Just like the BGE there are folks who think you should save your money and buy a cheaper one that doesn't work as well every 5 years.

They are great, enjoy your winning ticket.

NewChief
09-03-2015, 11:08 PM
They're good, even great, for what they're designed for, which is NOT storing beer and opening it over and over as you drink throughout the day. They're intended to keep meat and ice cold on long expeditions by precooling them and opening them as little as possible on your offshore or backcountry trip. As a beer cooler they're not much better than any other cooler, though probably more durable.

That being said, I'd take one for $5, you lucky bastard.

aturnis
09-04-2015, 01:33 AM
Best coolers ever. Well worth the $$.
Sure about that?

https://youtu.be/62CkECpKoSU

LoneWolf
09-04-2015, 02:27 AM
Grizzly > Yeti > Engel > Pelican

$5 Yeti cooler > any cooler.

Congratulations.

notorious
09-04-2015, 06:54 AM
I've got a 35 Yeti. Just like the BGE there are folks who think you should save your money and buy a cheaper one that doesn't work as well every 5 years.

I wasn't aware that coolers wore out.

On a side not, you will never have to worry about leaving your cooler at a party. They are simply too expensive to forget about even when hammered.

Well, until someone steals it, which happens often.

Bwana
09-04-2015, 06:59 AM
Grizzly > Yeti > Engel > Pelican

$5 Yeti cooler > any cooler.

Congratulations.

It depends on what you use them for. Here's another test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

I had a Yeti 75 which did a great job of keeping things cool, but that was one big cooler not to have wheels on it. That was a bitch to lift loaded with ice and adult beverages not because of the weight (and it was heavy loaded) but because the handles were so far apart on that cooler. I was doing a lot of the lifting with rotator cuffs which is never a good thing. I also have a few larger Coleman extreme's and a Coleman marine which keep Ice almost as long as the Yeti did and they are a fraction of the price.

The Yeti did have the advantage of being bear proof but thankfully that feature never came into play. :D

With all that being said, you will love that size Yeti and for $5 you really can't go wrong.

seaofred
09-04-2015, 09:08 AM
I've seen some reports (I'll try to find the link and post it). They do keep ice longer than any other cooler, but when you factor in the cost of ice and the cost of the cooler, it takes you years of heavy usage to recoop the additional cost of the Yeti cooler.

NewChief
09-04-2015, 09:08 AM
It depends on what you use them for. Here's another test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

I had a Yeti 75 which did a great job of keeping things cool, but that was one big cooler not to have wheels on it. That was a bitch to lift loaded with ice and adult beverages not because of the weight (and it was heavy loaded) but because the handles were so far apart on that cooler. I was doing a lot of the lifting with rotator cuffs which is never a good thing. I also have a few larger Coleman extreme's and a Coleman marine which keep Ice almost as long as the Yeti did and they are a fraction of the price.

The Yeti did have the advantage of being bear proof but thankfully that feature never came into play. :D

With all that being said, you will love that size Yeti and for $5 you really can't go wrong.

All of this. For most people, a Yeti is overkill. Doing a multiple day backcountry guided raft trip where you have to keep provisions cool for your clients? You need a Yeti (or other premium cooler). Multi day hunt where you need to pack in/out a bunch of meat? You need a Yeti. Multiple days offshore fishing where you need to keep your catch cold? You need a Yeti.

Tailgating and want to keep beer icy for a day? Just about any cooler will suffice. The advantages of a super high end cooler are pretty much lost if one is opening and closing it constantly like we do with most ice chests.

That being said, that Yeti sticker looks sweet on the truck, right between the Salt Life and Costa stickers (and this probably is only funny to you if you live in a southern college town with a large frat population).

ptlyon
09-04-2015, 09:10 AM
As a side bar - why the fuck can't you find a regular cooler without a latch anymore? Pisses me off.

seaofred
09-04-2015, 09:12 AM
All of this. For most people, a Yeti is overkill. Doing a multiple day backcountry guided raft trip where you have to keep provisions cool for your clients? You need a Yeti (or other premium cooler). Multi day hunt where you need to pack in/out a bunch of meat? You need a Yeti. Multiple days offshore fishing where you need to keep your catch cold? You need a Yeti.

Tailgating and want to keep beer icy for a day? Just about any cooler will suffice. The advantages of a super high end cooler are pretty much lost if one is opening and closing it constantly like we do with most ice chests.

That being said, that Yeti sticker looks sweet on the truck, right between the Salt Life and Costa stickers (and this probably is only funny to you if you live in a southern college town with a large frat population).

Side note: Based on your statement, I'm guessing you have some Costa sunglasses? Can you tell me more about them?

Buehler445
09-04-2015, 09:12 AM
For $5. You win. End.

Guys are buying them and using them for work. Not hobby shit. Money making, expense watching, margin driven work. That to me says it all.

In other news I picked up a yeti cup with my cabelas points and that is DEFINITELY worth the jack.

seclark
09-04-2015, 09:19 AM
they're fine...but i agree w/those that say they're not great for just beer. it's a pain in the ass to have to empty all the ice out of them, put in more beer, then put the ice back in.

i'll just poor the water out of my old coleman and chuck a fresh bag on top of the new supply of brews.

and i threw that fucking window sticker in the trash.
sec

NewChief
09-04-2015, 09:21 AM
Side note: Based on your statement, I'm guessing you have some Costa sunglasses? Can you tell me more about them?

Hah. No. I don't. They're great sunglasses, though, especially for fishing. My comment was actually joke, as the standard frat boy bumper sticker lineup in the South is Costa/Yeti/Salt Life. It's pretty much a running joke on SEC boards.

If you want to get into some hilariously in depth cooler discussion, check out the Tigerdroppings Outdoor board. There's pretty much a weekly throwdown over coolers (and sunglasses/costas as well).

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-04-2015, 09:45 AM
I had to look out of curiosity. On Amazon a Yeti 75 goes for $649

Fuck that !

Reerun_KC
09-04-2015, 09:50 AM
I have one that I pull around during hoodie season....

Dunit35
09-04-2015, 10:49 AM
For $5. You win. End.

Guys are buying them and using them for work. Not hobby shit. Money making, expense watching, margin driven work. That to me says it all.

In other news I picked up a yeti cup with my cabelas points and that is DEFINITELY worth the jack.

I was thinking about buying a couple 30 oz tumblers at $30/each. It'd be nice to have a tumbler that doesn't get warm after an hour like the cheap one I use.

CoMoChief
09-04-2015, 11:17 AM
bought a couple coozie cups.

these are awesome.

rocknrolla
09-04-2015, 11:25 AM
bought a couple coozie cups.

these are awesome.

They are the best $30 spent, last drink is as cold as the first.

Donger
09-04-2015, 11:26 AM

I don't own a "cooler" yet alone a Yeti one.

Dunit35
09-04-2015, 11:28 AM

Sounds like I'll be buying a couple.

Are they easy to drink out of? Saw a few reviews complaining of it.

rocknrolla
09-04-2015, 12:07 PM

If having to unscrew to cap seal makes it hard to drink out of, than yes. It just doesn't fit bottles very well.

Bwana
09-04-2015, 12:13 PM

Yeah I have a couple and they are worth every dime. I keep them in the back of my ATV most of the time.

Bwana
09-04-2015, 12:23 PM
I had to look out of curiosity. On Amazon a Yeti 75 goes for $649

**** that !

If that's the case Amazon is trying to horse **** you. You can get it at Cabala's for 449.00.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/yeti-174-coolers-tundra-75-marine-coolers/1530827.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dyeti%252B75%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=yeti+75

When I got mine it was going for 399.00. It didn't cost me anything at the time because I used some of my Cabala's points to get it. It was an itch I needed to scratch but it was just to big to lift full of ice and beer without taking a chance on pulling a nut or blowing up a rotator cuff. Like I said before, the handles are just to far apart to use good lifting technique on the pig.

I ended up hanging it on Craigslist about a month ago and got $400.00 for it. It was in great shape but I'm surprised the guy gave me that for it considering for another $49.00 he could picked up a new one.

Bwana
09-04-2015, 01:00 PM
On a side note if you are looking for a day cooler these things are soft coolers that work fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Bear-Coolers-Holds-Cooler/dp/B001PCNXAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441391920&sr=8-1&keywords=polar+cooler12

I had custom built various hard case "Frankencoolers" with extra tie down points for the back of my ATV but they still moved around on the box a little bit.

I bought the 12 and the 24 Polar Bear Coolers which do a great job of keeping my beer cold for the day. They also stay secure on the back of the ATV box and are tougher than hell. I had my 12 on the back of my ATV last year and one of the bungee cords cut loose.

I ended up dragging that thing across a boulder field for about half a mile at 25-30 miles per hour. My brother was behind me on his ATV and he said the thing was catching 5-6 feet of air at times bouncing off boulders.

Once I stopped I noticed what had happened. The thing had mud on it and some scrapes but worked fine. (The beer cans however took about an hour to settle down) I threw the thing in the washing machine when I got home and it works as good as new.

BigMeatballDave
09-04-2015, 01:12 PM
http://www.runjackson.org/wp-content/uploads/yeti.jpghttp://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1296676431_wine%20coolers-%20ztil301.jpg

ptlyon
09-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Bumbles bounce!

MTG#10
09-04-2015, 01:45 PM

Just as good as the Yetis for a third of the price:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000644AF/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1441395852&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=yeti+koozie&dpPl=1&dpID=41nrtmDsQuL&ref=plSrch

scho63
09-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Are they crazy with those Yeti prices!?!?!?!? :eek:

I thought I was misreading the figures.

Lzen
09-04-2015, 02:33 PM
I was thinking about buying a couple 30 oz tumblers at $30/each. It'd be nice to have a tumbler that doesn't get warm after an hour like the cheap one I use.

Why does it take you an hour + to drink your drink?

Edit: Nevermind. I see that you are using the tumbler to continually refill your beers. Meh, I just drink out of the bottle.

BeMyValentine
09-04-2015, 03:18 PM
On a side note if you are looking for a day cooler these things are soft coolers that work fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Bear-Coolers-Holds-Cooler/dp/B001PCNXAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441391920&sr=8-1&keywords=polar+cooler12

I had custom built various hard case "Frankencoolers" with extra tie down points for the back of my ATV but they still moved around on the box a little bit.

I bought the 12 and the 24 Polar Bear Coolers which do a great job of keeping my beer cold for the day. They also stay secure on the back of the ATV box and are tougher than hell. I had my 12 on the back of my ATV last year and one of the bungee cords cut loose.

I ended up dragging that thing across a boulder field for about half a mile at 25-30 miles per hour. My brother was behind me on his ATV and he said the thing was catching 5-6 feet of air at times bouncing off boulders.

Once I stopped I noticed what had happened. The thing had mud on it and some scrapes but worked fine. (The beer cans however took about an hour to settle down) I threw the thing in the washing machine when I got home and it works as good as new.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Bwana
09-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Just as good as the Yetis for a third of the price:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000644AF/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1441395852&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=yeti+koozie&dpPl=1&dpID=41nrtmDsQuL&ref=plSrch

I have no idea if that's true or not but I can tell you the Yeti works very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tXa_V8Vw0U

I can't find a test where someone has compared them on line so I just bought a thermos brand to do the test myself. I have some industrial grade thermometers around here so it will be easy enough to find out. I'll let you know what the results are.

Buehler445
09-04-2015, 03:53 PM

Do it. They're fine to drink out of. Unless you're 2 and need a sippy cup.

Stewie
09-04-2015, 03:56 PM
I've never heard of these. I went to their website and they use some sort of "permacool" material. My suspicion is that it's an aerogel insulation. That doesn't justify the ridiculous price as aerogels are pretty inexpensive.

Bwana
09-04-2015, 04:06 PM

Yep piece of cake.

Buehler445
09-04-2015, 04:27 PM
I've never heard of these. I went to their website and they use some sort of "permacool" material. My suspicion is that it's an aerogel insulation. That doesn't justify the ridiculous price as aerogels are pretty inexpensive.

Think what you want. They work. Nothing cheap does. End.

Stewie
09-04-2015, 04:37 PM

Aerogels are cheap. They're used all over aerospace because they're cheap and have incredible insulating properties. I imagine the Yeti people knew that and integrated them into a "Coleman-like" cooler. Nothing wrong with that. Spend $30 to upgrade a Coleman cooler and charge $200+ for a Yeti.

notorious
09-04-2015, 04:49 PM

Every farmer out here has them because they can expense them.

It's insanity.

Buehler445
09-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Every farmer out here has them because they can expense them.

It's insanity.

I don't. But all the crop scouts, construction guys and a lot of farmers do.

Dunit35
09-04-2015, 05:23 PM

Sippy cup. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

OctoberFart
09-04-2015, 05:40 PM
They're good, even great, for what they're designed for, which is NOT storing beer and opening it over and over as you drink throughout the day. They're intended to keep meat and ice cold on long expeditions by precooling them and opening them as little as possible on your offshore or backcountry trip. As a beer cooler they're not much better than any other cooler, though probably more durable.

That being said, I'd take one for $5, you lucky bastard.

This is how they work. They are pack them, ice them and leave them closed until you need the contents. You will be mad if you bought it as a beer cooler.