PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About the Upcoming Season

gblowfish
09-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Ten Things About The Upcoming Season

10. I didn't want to say much about the upcoming season until the entire pre-season gauntlet had been run. There may be some 11th hour shuffling as each team scurries to pick up other teams cut players and establish practice squads. The Chiefs 53 may change tomorrow, but based on what it is tonight, I've thought about our four pre-season games, who's back, who's back but maybe not all the way back, who's new and what's same old same old. Generally, I'm not particularly optimistic about this season. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen some subtle signs that make me worry about where the focus of the team and front office is this year. Of course, one good hit on the Five Head early on could change the entire complexion in the AFC West, as could another concussion for Jamaal Charles. Let's set injury aside for a minute. With all teams playing straight up with no injuries, I see the Chiefs as an 8-8 or 9-7 team, and lucky to make the playoffs. If they do make the playoffs, it will be as a road team, much like two years ago vs. Indy. And they'll probably get beat on the road in the first round. Here's my hopes and fears and dreams for 2015:

9. A lot of this stuff has been hashed to death over the past month, so for the sake of brevity I'll start with the offensive line and simply say: A year later and still not good enough. Fisher is not an NFL left tackle. He's a major fail draft bust for where he was picked. He could be a serviceable right tackle, but he cannot match up against the best pass rusher from each of our opponents and stop them. And if you try to use him like that, he's going to get Alex Smith killed. This is his third year. He's a decent run blocker, leaky pass blocker, and often needs help from a guard in pass protection. And he's injury prone. For where he was picked we should be getting Anthony Munoz. Instead we got Anthony Michael Hall. I would move Donald Stephenson to left tackle, and let the chips -or in this case Alex Smith- fall where he may. Grubbs is a solid edition. Allen is still iffy coming off injury. Very worried about starting a rookie center right out of the box. Morse has good size and played against SEC competition. But he has to make line calls and be the brains of the blocking scheme. He's sure to see stuff he's never seen before in his first six weeks or so; playing playoff contending teams like Denver, Green Bay and Cincy three out of the first four games. Denver has three bona fide pass rushers in Ware, Miller and Shane Ray. Our mix and match line will be tested early, even though KC is at home, it'll be playing on a short week after the Houston game.

8. Jamaal Charles got little work in the pre-season, and that's probably a good thing. Charles is one of the top five backs in the NFL, and only Adrian Peterson is as explosive. But Charles is concussion and injury prone. And you may not like me saying this, but he tends to get injured when we need him most. He is also most likely on the downward trend of his life as an NFL back. All the great ones go through the same thing. Charles at this point reminds me of Ladanian Tomlinson's last few years with San Diego. He's probably got two more years left in the tank. But I would certainly give some of the heavy lifting to Knile Davis, as his fumble problems have subsided, and his reliability has been proven. I'm also very high on Charcandrick West, a 2014 undrafted free agent, who could be the sleeper of this years backfield corps. That kid runs north south, has a good quick burst and falls forward. His question is going to be trusting his pass protection. If Charles can stay healthy, and if the passing game can take some of the offensive burden off him -say, where Charles doesn't have to account for 50% of the team offense- then we should be competitive.

7. It's great that our number one receiver is Jeremy Maclin. He's not a dumb ass like Bowe. He's a hard worker, attention to detail kind of guy. He's pretty much the Anti-Bowe. And he's proven himself to be one of the top fifteen or so receivers in the NFL, He's a legit number one guy. Again his question mark is health. Can he get through a season healthy? Conley shows some signs as a good second, although I think Albert Wilson will be the number two guy early on if he's healthy enough to play. De'Anthony Thomas needs to show he's worth more than two jet sweeps per game. He needs to contribute in the regular offense, much like Dante Hall did in his career. I also think the Chiefs should have kept Fred Williams instead of Jason Avant. If they can sneak Williams onto the practice squad, he may see action later in the year. Avant is one of those guys who won't embarrass your team, but won't do that much to help you win, either. Perhaps the brain trust is worried that if anything happens to Maclin, there won't be any experience in the receiver corps. I say who cares? Are you fast? Can you run accurate routes and catch the ball when it's thrown to you? That's all that matters. Williams showed he could do all of the above. He just needs a chance.

6. After all the hub bub about our wide outs not catching a single TD last year, I don't think that much has changed this year. It all starts and ends with Alex Smith. And I hate to say this, but this is what I truly think: We're flat out not going to go far with Alex Smith. This formula of relying on San Fran cast off QB's has proven time after time after time that it's just not good enough to get you to the big one and win it. Think about it: DeBerg, Montana, Bono, Grbac, Smith. What do they all have in common? Zero Super Bowls for KC. Sure, Montana got us close, but he was on fumes in 1993. And, he's the last guy to win a playoff game for KC against a team that doesn't even exist any more. Smith is capable. He's probably in the middle of the pack of all starting NFL QB's. He's basically Matt Cassel with a bit more speed and field awareness. But I see our passing game as the same dink and dunk we've seen for the last three years under Reid. We'll pass to Kelce, we'll pass to Charles out of the backfield, they'll try to throw deep once in a blue moon to Maclin. But Smith doesn't have the arm or accuracy for the long ball, and he's too afraid to make a mistake when a wide out has a half step on a cover guy. There was a video of highlights at the end of last year of Smith checking down or flat out not seeing guys running wide open deep down the field. After his season ending lacerated spleen injury, I would think if anything he'll be even more conservative with the football this year. I don't think Smith is hapless. I just think in this era of the NFL you must have an elite gunslinger to compete. We ain't got that. That's why we blew a 28-pont second half lead in our last playoff appearance. We had Smith. Colts had Andrew Luck, a game changer. The inability of KC to draft and develop a front line elite QB is the elephant in the room, and has been for more than 40 years.

5. On defense, I'm so mad at Sean Smith that I could just beat him with a tire tool. Getting a three game suspension for DUI with Manning, and Rodgers in that opening stretch is unforgivable. We're going to throw a two year player and a flat out rookie (Gaines and Peters) out there and hope to God they don't get roasted. Peters will have to grow up fast, because I'll bet they'll target him just like Seattle did in our pre-season game. Otherwise, I think we've got good balance in the secondary. I love Abdullah and Parker. And if Berry can become anything like he was before his illness, that going to be just a big fat bonus. I really loathe Daniel Sorensen. I don't get it with him and why the coaches love him so much. All pre-season, he missed tackles. Against the Rams, he had a pick fall right in his lap, carried the ball on the wrong side, got stripped, and luckily another KC player recovered. Then in the next series, he went out and missed two or three tackles to allow the Rams to sustain drives. He just flat out sucks, and he got burned several times in coverage last year in games that counted. Maybe Reid likes him because he's a BYU guy. Hope he's replaced by something better as the season goes on.

4. Linebackers are the strongest group on the team again this year. Tamba has lost a step, but is still above average. DJ has probably lost two steps, but his smarts puts him in the right place most of the time. Oakland doesn't break an 80-yard run on us last year if DJ is in that game. Houston will demand double teams. Dee Ford has got to pick it up. Ramik Wilson could be the defensive sleeper in this years draft. D-Line is almost as good. Poe is a big question mark. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play at all this year. Back trouble for big men is a real danger sign. Jaye Howard is sneaky good, as is Alan Bailey. Bailey may be the most under-rated player on the entire defense. DeVito has to prove to me he can get through a season without injury. He's one of those guys who's good, but can't seem to stay on the field. And he'll be a step slower after injury as well.

3. On specials, we're lucky to have one of the best punters in football. We'll need him to flip the field, as I see a lot of three and outs for Alex. We have a new snapper, and the Brazilian Midget is still a wild card. Between the new snapper and the Midget's unpredictability, I can see him missing more than one or two extra points this season. He tends to get the "yips," and since they didn't bring anybody in to push him in camp this year, I have some concerns. I hope Andy is working on his two point conversions, as we may need to pull that out of our ass on a few occasions.

2. It's year three for Andy, and he needs to show me. He's has Smith in his system for three years now. He's had Sutton running the defense for three years. Same special teams coach too. So the team should get what he's trying to do now. Andy's been another one of those guys like Marty or Chuck Knox, who's a respected coach, and can get you close, but never seems to bring it home. I just don't see his offense being able to generate enough fire power to win once the playoffs come around. And his lack of time management skill could cost us a game or two. In a lot of close contests, little things like time management and conservation of time outs can be the difference between success and failure. He's been consistently bad at both in his three years.

1. The final thing that bothers me is the front office doesn't seem to be focused on 2015 football. The Chiefs have actually been worried about what song to play if and when they score. Let's just concentrate on scoring, and we'll all just yell "WE'RE GONNA BEAT THE HELL OUTTA YOU" and call it good, OK? It also does not help our chances for our owner to volunteer one of our home games for a trip to London. Not only will that interrupt our mid season routine, But we leave for that game after what's sure to be a brutal knock down drag out game at home vs. Pittsburgh. Then, there's the whole London ordeal and side show against a tough, experienced Detroit team. After the trip to London, we get to travel back to the USA and go to DENVER then to SAN DIEGO on the road two weeks in a row. So the short week to prepare for Denver will be followed by a cross country flight to California, all after coming back from London. And why did we do this? So Kansas City could get a Super Bowl game sometime. That's never going to happen without a roof over Arrowhead. So, look for a push in the next couple years for another Arrowhead renovation. I think the Chiefs are looking forward, but at all the wrong things. There's a reason they've been aptly called "The Chicago Cubs of the NFL." The Royals have found a way to raise themselves out of 29 years of shit. It's now time for the Chiefs to raise themselves out of 47 years of the same. The Royals have raised the bar of expectation in this town. Getting to a playoff game and winning it is not enough. Clark Hunt needs to aim higher if anything is ever going to change.

That's my peace after four pre-season games. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see it going down.

With all that, let's tee it up, kick it off, and play some football that counts.

KCChiefsfan1234
09-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Sean Smith is only suspended for 3 games not 4.

gblowfish
09-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Sean Smith is only suspended for 3 games not 4.

You're right, I though it was four. He's still sits for Manning and Rodgers, which is not good. He'll probably be our guy to cover AJ Green against the Bengals.

Red Dawg
09-06-2015, 09:03 PM
I agree with half of what you say. What will hold us back this season is still the OL and the schedule. Our schedule is murder. You don't need a dominate WR to win the SB. The past three years prove it.

chiefzilla1501
09-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Way too soon to judge Fisher. He had a solid game 1. We are vastly improved from a team that went 9-7 last year against a tough schedule (Maclin, DJ, Berry, Branch.... Grubbs/Hudson is a wash). I really think it boils down to point #6. This team as a whole is plenty good enough to be dangerous. If we get middle of last season Alex Smith or end of 2013 Alex Smith, the Chiefs will be good. If we get end of last year and beginning of 2013 Alex Smith, that's not going to fly against the schedule we play.

stevieray
09-06-2015, 09:09 PM
We scored 40 plus at Indy, more than enough to win..Charles and Davis got hurt...the offense didn't blow that lead..the defense did..granted the questionable fumble out of bounds was the turning point...good ol refs. Bowe gets his feet in bounds, we win that game. Maclin is a huge upgrade.

The Chiefs' schedules since the beginning of the remodel have been complete ass, without checking I'd wager we play more back to back road games than any other team in our Division, while Denver gets the majority of their home games early, in the altitude, and they stroll to the playoffs. Guess thats what happens when your owner was on the scheduling committee...:doh!:

All that said.. there is more talent and depth than there has been for quite sometime. If they play to their strengths, they can compete with anyone. We beat both SB teams last season. I 'm not as quick to right them off as you are, but I understand the sentiment.

Dunerdr
09-06-2015, 09:12 PM
I normally agree whole heartedly with you. However i am going into this season with my chiefs glass half full. I think returning coaches, players and what seems like high player focus a championship will surely improve us.

GoShox
09-06-2015, 09:15 PM
I really loathe Daniel Sorensen. I don't get it with him and why the coaches love him so much. All pre-season, he missed tackles. Against the Rams, he had a pick fall right in his lap, carried the ball on the wrong side, got stripped, and luckily another KC player recovered. Then in the next series, he went out and missed two or three tackles to allow the Rams to sustain drives. He just flat out sucks, and he got burned several times in coverage last year in games that counted. Maybe Reid likes him because he's a BYU guy. Hope he's replaced by something better as the season goes on.

I don't get it either. He made the 53 last year and, in that disaster of a game against the Titans, looked terrible. IIRC there was one play where he jumped offsides on a punt that was 4th and 4 or so, and cost the Chiefs a possession. I don't know what Reid sees in him but God forbid he looks that bad again.

I also agree it's really frustrating seeing the Chiefs organization act like this is the year.. while they willingly offer up a game in London to replace a home game that wouldn't have been easy in the first place.

RunKC
09-06-2015, 09:24 PM
I always enjoy reading your 10 things George. I think you should think on some of these counterpoints.

-Eric Fisher didn't have a chance to get stronger (his biggest weakness) until this spring. He looked much better in his only preseason game.
I think he deserves this season to show who he is since he had injury concerns holding him back in the weight room year 1 and 2.

-Alex was literally the best player we could obtain. Teddy Bridgewater is the only QB available since they took over that could be something, but that's not even a known yet.
We talked to Philly about Foles before we ever obtained Alex, which speaks volumes to show that Reid wanted Foles first and Alex was plan B.
QB's are so hard to find because they rarely become available in the draft. I've read on twitter that scouts are not impressed at all with the 2016 QB class at first glance.
I have no doubt they will get a talented QB to take over, but fate will decide when.

-I just don't get how this team will win less than 10 games. How could they play a tough schedule and win 9 last year with the amount of injuries and lack of talent on offense?
I just can't believe that this team will fail with the confidence they've shown.

-I'm afraid you're right about Andy, though I think the key to us making a SB is going to be Dorsey's personnel moves.
This team is not completely built yet. I think that after one more offseason, it will be better with one more chance to build the WR's and OL.

I think most will agree that this might be the best Chiefs team we've had in 20 years. Let's just enjoy the ride and see what happens.

milkman
09-06-2015, 09:27 PM
I disagree with almost everything in this 10 things.

milkman
09-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Mostly, however, I don't think that John Dorsey is involved in the song process at all.

To suggest that he has his focus on anything but the product on the field is sheer fucking stupidity.

chiefzilla1501
09-06-2015, 09:32 PM
I don't get it either. He made the 53 last year and, in that disaster of a game against the Titans, looked terrible. IIRC there was one play where he jumped offsides on a punt that was 4th and 4 or so, and cost the Chiefs a possession. I don't know what Reid sees in him but God forbid he looks that bad again.

I also agree it's really frustrating seeing the Chiefs organization act like this is the year.. while they willingly offer up a game in London to replace a home game that wouldn't have been easy in the first place.

With cutting Gray, Hemingway, and Coleman, Sorensen is our best and most versatile STs guy. Toub has him as our main punt cover guy which is a testament to how highly Toub thinks of him.

gblowfish
09-06-2015, 09:32 PM
We scored 40 plus at Indy, more than enough to win..Charles and Davis got hurt...the offense didn't blow that lead..the defense did..granted the questionable fumble out of bounds was the turning point...good ol refs. Bowe gets his feet in bounds, we win that game. Maclin is a huge upgrade.

The Chiefs' schedules since the beginning of the remodel have been complete ass, without checking I'd wager we play more back to back road games than any other team in our Division, while Denver gets the majority of their home games early, in the altitude, and they stroll to the playoffs. Guess thats what happens when your owner was on the scheduling committee...:doh!:

All that said.. there is more talent and depth than there has been for quite sometime. If they play to their strengths, they can compete with anyone. We beat both SB teams last season. I 'm not as quick to right them off as you are, but I understand the sentiment.

The loss at Indy stung as much as any playoff loss I can remember. How do you blow a 28 point lead in a half? Our defense couldn't stop Luck. That's what I'm saying, they had a guy that could put a team on his back and will them to win. We do not.

I know we beat both Super Bowl teams last year, both wins were at Arrowhead. We did that in a season when we did not make the playoffs. And agreed, the schedule makers did us no favors this year. Most of our home games will be in cold weather, which could affect our crowds if the Chiefs get off to a so-so start.

I just don't see that much offensive improvement to be excited.

gblowfish
09-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Mostly, however, I don't think that John Dorsey is involved in the song process at all.

To suggest that he has his focus on anything but the product on the field is sheer ****ing stupidity.

Dorsey isn't, but Mark Donovan is. I thank God that Dorsey is worried about players and not game day presentation. The entire NFL is too worried about show biz instead of actual football, IMHO.

DaFace
09-06-2015, 09:36 PM

To suggest that he has his focus on anything but the product on the field is sheer fucking stupidity.

Yeah, that's on the wrong side of the org chart entirely. There's no way that Dorsey has had anything to do with that.

gblowfish
09-06-2015, 09:37 PM

OK, that's cool. Like what?

Chromatic
09-06-2015, 09:38 PM
A repeat of the 2004 season would just be the worst.

That year sucked more than 2008 or 2012.

milkman
09-06-2015, 09:38 PM
OK, that's cool. Like what?

Let me start with what I do agree with.

Alex Smith is still Alex Smith.

There.
That list is done.

JakeLV
09-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Suprised by the negativity.

This defense has a chance to be really special, and Andy is well versed in getting production from offenses with inferior talent.

Should be a blast!

gblowfish
09-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Let me start with what I do agree with.

Alex Smith is still Alex Smith.

There.
That list is done.

Heh....OK. So you agree Smith may not be the answer.

What about Fisher? Is he a legit left tackle?
Will Jamaal Charles output slip?
No Dink and Dunk Passing game?
You're happy with Sean Snith?
No worries about Peters or Gaines?
Trip to London is OK with you?
Just askin....

gblowfish
09-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Suprised by the negativity.

This defense has a chance to be really special, and Andy is well versed in getting production from offenses with inferior talent.

Should be a blast!

Like I said, I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I've just seen this movie before. And it's also true that every year the Chiefs blow one they shouldn't -like last year's Oakland road game- and win won you don't see coming -like beating New England or Seattle. I think they'll get off to a bad start and then have to fight to a .500 record, then if they do make the playoffs it'll be by the skin of their teeth.

BlackOp
09-06-2015, 09:46 PM
8-8 after a 9-7 season where they beat NE/Seattle?..and lost DJ and Devito. I'm not seeing the regression here...especially after landing Maclin and Howard proving he can spell Poe. Kelce is now the prominent starter and not a part-time player. They signed Grubbs...and the O-line looked good before KC lost both tackles for the pre-season.

I'm not sure about Charles and the concussion worry either. The one in Indy was questionable at best...considering where the game was played. West looks like he can do a pretty good job impersonating Charles..catching passes out of he backfield.

You didnt mention Branch in regards to safety either... I think he is going to end up being a starter. The entire starting WR/TE roster is gone from last year...

This is a much more "sorted" team than last season.

I didn't mention Manning's arm decline or that they have an entirely new staff. He cant save them like in years past...This inst 2014 by any stretch.

If this team goes .500... without any cataclysmic injuries...then Dorsey/Reid/Sutton all need to be fired..

milkman
09-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Heh....OK. So you agree Smith may not be the answer.

What about Fisher? Is he a legit left tackle?
Will Jamaal Charles output slip?
No Dink and Dunk Passing game?
You're happy with Sean Snith?
No worries about Peters or Gaines?
Trip to London is OK with you?
Just askin....

Let me put it this way.

There are still some question marks, and I certainly don't care about the London game.

I think it's still too early to judge Fisher, who was a small school project to begin with, but has the physical tools to be very good.

I think Charles has 3, possibly 4, good years left.

Peters and Gaines will be fine as long as we can rush the passer.

The O-Line is going to take time to gel, but I think they can be pretty damn good by mid season.

I think this team has the potential to win 12 games.

Wallcrawler
09-06-2015, 09:48 PM
This team's success lives and dies with Andy Reid's ability to call plays on game day relevant to the current situation.

Is he going to utilize his top 5 running back, or will he elect to do the defense's job for them and have Jamaal end the day with 5-7 rushes?

Will he be able to set aside his genius, and overcome his boredom on 2nd/3rd/4th and inches in a row and call ONE vanilla play to move the chains and keep the offense on the field?

Will he be able to balance the run and pass, especially in the face of a subpar effort by the pass protection? Or will it be a ruptured spleen this time around for Alex Smith?

Will he know when he needs to go for it, and keep the offense on the field? Will he understand when the field position difference will be negligible if we fail? Punting to save 17 yards, for example cannot stand.

Will he be able to call the correct play at 1st and goal from the ONE INCH LINE without having to burn one of our precious 2nd half time outs?

Will he understand that for a play to not be immediately destroyed, the player it is designed for should probably be in the game on more plays than just the ones designed to go to him?

Will he know when he simply needs the offense to eat clock and protect the football, instead of risking multiple stoppages with dink and dunk passing plays?

All these things...that seem like such common sense things to fans from the casual watcher on sundays, to the avid Madden player....they are somehow lost on a man that has spent nearly two decades in this business, and time and time again after each failure to do his job, he approaches the fans and media with the same tired line.

I gotta do a better job.

THIS is what decides how far this team goes. The talent is there. Andy just needs to put it together on gameday. The Titans/49ers/Raiders contests show him at his absolute worst, while that Patriots game was perfection.

If he can just stay somewhere in the middle, we will do great things.

JakeLV
09-06-2015, 09:56 PM
Like I said, I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I've just seen this movie before. And it's also true that every year the Chiefs blow one they shouldn't -like last year's Oakland road game- and win won you don't see coming -like beating New England or Seattle. I think they'll get off to a bad start and then have to fight to a .500 record, then if they do make the playoffs it'll be by the skin of their teeth.

Well, at least it's more pessimism and not necessarily related to the level of talent.

From where I'm sitting, I think that this Chiefs team is the most complete team we've fielded since the early 2000s. I also think that if this team can put it all together at the exact same time, that this would be a down right dominant team. I'm hoping that's right outta the gate and down the stretch.

Whether they can? I'm optimistic!

But that could be the Sunday night beer.

ThaVirus
09-06-2015, 09:57 PM
That Patriots game was pure perfection.

Jamaal had 3 TDs. Houston had a sack and FF. We recorded 1/3 of our season's interceptions in that one game. Every drive seemed to go deep into Pat's territory if it didn't score..

Everything that makes us great was popping that game. That's us at our peak.

Chromatic
09-06-2015, 09:59 PM
From where I'm sitting, I think that this Chiefs team is the most complete team we've fielded since the early 2000s. I also think that if this team can put it all together at the exact same time, that this would be a down right dominant team. I'm hoping that's right outta the gate and down the stretch.

Those teams were pretty incomplete. 2001-2004 had no defense.

2005 was probably our best shot to win a playoff game in the last 20 years.

gblowfish
09-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Well, at least it's more pessimism and not necessarily related to the level of talent.

Whether they can? I'm optimistic!

But that could be the Sunday night beer.

Well Jake, I appreciate your optimism. All I can say is, you can only get hit in the face with a frying pan so many times before you learn to duck.

I think Manning is the key to the entire division. If his arm is shot, and he starts falling apart as the year goes on, it becomes a race between the Chiefs and the Bolts. I think Oakland will be better, but they're still a few years away from contending.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-06-2015, 10:43 PM
The Chiefs have beat the hell out of YOU-YOU-YOU, George.

And here I was feelin' somewhat optimistic.

Welp, back to trollin'.

Thanks, George! :)

ThaVirus
09-06-2015, 10:56 PM

And we didn't even make the playoffs at 10-6. How hilarious is that?

BlackOp
09-06-2015, 11:00 PM

Yeah...I was wondering about that too. Robinson was a horrid DC. That defense was complete shit. This is the best team since 1997...maybe the best since I've been watching...and that goes back to the mid-70's.

Every team has a blind spot...Chiefs dont have anything that is glaring. Bengals are probably the only other AFC team that is as balanced...but their HC sucks. I would say Denver too...but i dont like Kubiak...and neither do Texan fans. That's not a good sign...

Hammock Parties
09-06-2015, 11:04 PM
wisdom

Bowser
09-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Alex is only going to be as good as his line allows him to be, and I don't think that's going to be very good. I think our defense is good enough, I think the skill position guys are good enough, but this o-line is going to be the doom of the 2015 Chiefs.

The Texans game could very well be a loss with their front seven going against our line, and it doesn't get any easier against the Broncos. Green Bay's defense doesn't scare me, but for that game we'll have to score 40+ to outduel Rodgers. We might not hit our stride until it's too late.

Ming the Merciless
09-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Funny to see people getting their vaginas scuffed over a 9-7 prediction...

Only on CP during preseason is guessing 9-7 'pessimistic' or Debbie downer.

Despite the fact most people think Denver will win the division.

Despite the fact the O/u for this team is 8.5

Despite the fact HOUSTON is still the favorite week 1.

Good god...this place is unbearable at times.

There's absolutely no middle ground.....Its either Superbowl or shit hole.

I personally think 9-7 feels about right...and I think we will start a bit rough and then finish strong. Hopefully we can be hot and get a chance at that playoff game.

That would be a good season, despite what the homers try and say.

MMXcalibur
09-06-2015, 11:15 PM
The "home game" in London pisses me off to no end.
It's one thing to make Jacksonville or Miami do it, two teams that can't fill the seats. It's a completely other thing to make one of the best home-field advantages in the NFL that's a packed house 95% of the time to cut one back.

Clark Hunt went full retard on that decision.

mcaj22
09-06-2015, 11:18 PM
its going to be Gaines and Fleming on the outside while Smith is suspended. Peters will be in the slot. Its not as bad as you make it seem. Sean Smith isnt the end all be all of talented corners and wont be on this team next season anyway. Hes a good player but completely overrated on CP. Our wins or losses wont be because we dont have the mighty Sean Smith Island to lockdown one side of the field. You make it seem like hes Revis and our secondary sucks without him.

We still have FOUR safeties that could start on 30 other NFL teams to throw out there and help our corners. that is unheard of in this league.

FloridaMan88
09-06-2015, 11:21 PM
The offensive line is my concern as well. I see it continuing to struggle and hurt the Chiefs throughout the season.

Simply Red
09-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Let me put it this way.

There are still some question marks, and I certainly don't care about the London game.

I think it's still too early to judge Fisher, who was a small school project to begin with, but has the physical tools to be very good.

I think Charles has 3, possibly 4, good years left.

Peters and Gaines will be fine as long as we can rush the passer.

The O-Line is going to take time to gel, but I think they can be pretty damn good by mid season.

I think this team has the potential to win 12 games.

http://i.imgur.com/0K2ltNT.gif

Buehler445
09-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Glad to have the 10 things back.

I think everyone has forgotten how bad Cassel sucked giant black donkey dick. Smith isn't Rodgers, but he's damn sure the best thing we've had since Green. And who knows, put that Vermiel line in front of Smith and he may be better. Doubt it, but maybe. Fact is, Smith doesn't push the ball, and it's a problem, but he also is decent. There was no way to win anything with Cassel. Smith can win, but the margin for error is razor thin.

You're spot on about Reid. I like Reid. I thought he was washed up and just looking for a check to cash. He obviously is not. But I agree that I don't think he can win. He's going to need to dig up a QB better than Alex to win with him as a coach. I wanted us to take a shot on somebody innovative. I wanted Kelly (I'm glad we didn't get him, now...) but guys that are good over the long term are not guys that have been head coaches for 15 years. They're just not. And the fact that there were rumors about Clark calling Cowher just makes my blood boil. If you want a Belichick, McCarthy, Tomlin, Harbaugh, etc. You have to take a flier on a dude. Now, there are a shitton that don't work out, but if you want the best it takes some risk.

Charles is a man beast. I've been thinking he was going to be done for the last 2 years. At this point, I need to see that he's done to believe it. Every time I think I have him pegged, he exceeds my expectations.

The London thing is stupid. Fuck London. International football is a pipe dream.

I took a stadium tour and they said they are installing heating under the field so they can get a Super Bowl. The dude said that the thing they're waiting on now is hotel space and they're building them now.... Yeah fucking right. I don't know who is feeding them the BS about hosting a Super Bowl but Clark is getting fed a line. There won't be a Super Bowl in KC. We need to focus every available resource into winning the motherfucker. All the lawyers that are working on the Super Bowl shit need to be reading the rule books to determine how to cheat Know the rules better than everybody else like New England does.

The OL is a tough bird to call. There are guys I thought would come along and do well, and there are guys that I thought would shit the bed that do well. Case in point, Stephenson. He steps in for Albert when he gets injured and looks above average at LT. Should be great at RT right? LOL Fucking terrible then bounced for juicing. I don't know what he's going to be this year, but I've quit trying to guess.

BlackOp
09-06-2015, 11:24 PM

It's not funny...that was their record last season with some major injuries. We've seen one half of football with the starters...and they went 17-0.

Essentially this team "acquired" DJ, Devito, Maclin, Grubbs, Branch, Peters, Avant...and Kelce (full-time). Explain how that warrants the same record expectations as 2014?

Bunch of abused wives around here who have lost the ability to be objective. There are around 10 "new" starters.

Bowser
09-06-2015, 11:29 PM
The "home game" in London pisses me off to no end.
It's one thing to make Jacksonville or Miami do it, two teams that can't fill the seats. It's a completely other thing to make one of the best home-field advantages in the NFL that's a packed house 95% of the time to cut one back.

Clark Hunt went full retard on that decision.

So, so glad that I'm not a season ticket holder. I would be royally pissed at not only losing the game, but dealing with incremental price increases across the board in an attempt to recoup the lost revenue of having only 7 regular season games at Arrowhead this year.

pugsnotdrugs19
09-06-2015, 11:35 PM
The first 'ten things' that I read and questioned almost everything in the context.. I don't know.

We'll see.

Smed1065
09-06-2015, 11:40 PM
Hedging bets this year?

Gonna be a fun year!

Ming the Merciless
09-06-2015, 11:41 PM
It's not funny...that was their record last season with some major injuries. We've seen one half of football with the starters...and they went 17-0.

Essentially this team "acquired" DJ, Devito, Maclin, Grubbs, Branch, Peters, Avant...and Kelce (full-time). Explain how that warrants the same record expectations as 2014?

Bunch of abused wives around here who have lost the ability to be objective. There are around 10 "new" starters.

Do you know what the word pessimistic means?

I'll give you a hint....

It DOESN'T mean guessing they will win MORE than the o/u

Iowanian
09-06-2015, 11:55 PM
....and if any of the Chiefs make the pro bowl we have to go to Haiwaii which is closer to the equator which can lead to melanoma .....and then I suppose you heard of the amount of feline leukemia.

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/C.wq4.tJsyYmHoBqzfYRCw--/Zmk9ZmlsbDtweW9mZj0wO3c9OTU2O2g9NTM4O3NtPTE7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/video/video.snl.com/SNL_1350_09_Debbie_Downer.png

FloridaMan88
09-07-2015, 12:00 AM

Alex Smith

TribalElder
09-07-2015, 12:26 AM
Denver on short weeks both times.
Fuck that

splatbass
09-07-2015, 12:28 AM

We were 9-7 last year with less talent and a rash of injuries, why do you think we won't be better this year?

Chiefspants
09-07-2015, 12:35 AM
If we start 1-3, it's going to be difficult for Alex to turn around this team.

I think we land at 10-6 after a couple of inexplicable Reid losses to inferior talent.

We may sneak a playoff win, but I'm doubtful that Alex can put together 3-4 straight outstanding games against elite competition, as is required in the playoffs.

Add in Reid's propensity for clock management issues in tight games, and it makes it more difficult to think this team has legs in the playoffs.

But I ate my crow about Dayton Moore and Ned Yost, and I'd love to do the same about Andy and Alex after this season.

BlackOp
09-07-2015, 12:39 AM
Alex Smith

16/18...175 2 TDs.

This is his season to prove that never being in the same system for 3 years was a major reason for a stunted start.

There are no excuses after this year...but I have seem him be excellent under duress. He was great in the play-off game against the Saints..that's something a lot of QBs in the NFL have never proven. He was fantastic in the Indy game...one of the best PO performances in history.

He has actually won a game in the play-offs...and by win..I mean...HE won it. That was a stellar drive in the NO game. Trent Green cant say that...

If those things never happened...I would agree with the nay-sayers...but they did. Stafford, Ryan, Rivers...never pulled that off in the post season. I'm rooting for him...not only because he's the QB of the team I follow...but he has got a raw deal (apart from $$$) in terms of realistic opportunities. The hatred towards him is really kind of bizarre....his career path is one of a kind.

This is his best chance...

MMXcalibur
09-07-2015, 12:39 AM
Denver on short weeks both times.
Fuck that

The game at Denver follows the Chiefs bye week.

Tribal Warfare
09-07-2015, 12:46 AM
With Fisher IMO he should've had a Willie Roaf impact also. The guy was suppose to be this athletic freak who was going to lock down pass rushers and be a destroyer of worlds in run blocking .

splatbass
09-07-2015, 12:52 AM
With Fisher IMO he should've had a Willie Roaf impact also. The guy was suppose to be this athletic freak who was going to lock down pass rushers and be a destroyer of worlds in run blocking .

He was a small school project. If you expected Willie Roaf right off the bat you had very unrealistic expectations.

Tribal Warfare
09-07-2015, 12:59 AM
He was a small school project. If you expected Willie Roaf right off the bat you had very unrealistic expectations.

That's what you want to qualify and accept, The 1st overall pick as a remedial project? Dude, that's very low expectations, and what I cited is what the 1st overall should be. Hence, why people are calling him bust because of said expectations

splatbass
09-07-2015, 01:03 AM
That's what you want to qualify and accept, The 1st overall pick as a remedial project? Dude, that's very low expectations, and what I cited is what the 1st overall should be. Hence, why people are calling him bust because of said expectations

Every expert said he would need time to adjust to the NFL. If you thought otherwise you were unrealistic.

Tribal Warfare
09-07-2015, 01:06 AM
Every expert said he would need time to adjust to the NFL. If you thought otherwise you were unrealistic.

Dude, you're making excuses for a player that should be killing it now. Since you are it's evident that he hasn't met expectations.

DaneMcCloud
09-07-2015, 01:08 AM
I'm really tired of hearing people complain about "The Schedule".

This year, last year, every fucking year, all I read on Chiefsplanet is that the schedule is "brutal"

Fuck that.

It's the NFL. There are no freebies. Last year, the Chiefs were going to be "8-8" because the of the "schedule" yet they beat the two Super Bowl teams and lost games to inferior opponents that they should have won.

This season, they have far more depth, more experience and upgrades at important positions. If they don't win 10 games, it's because they lost even more starters than last year while Reid, Dorsey, Smith, Maclin and Houston are diagnosed with AIDS in game one.

Ming the Merciless
09-07-2015, 01:14 AM
We were 9-7 last year with less talent and a rash of injuries, why do you think we won't be better this year?

Its possible we go 9-7 and yet the team is a better team...

9-7 isn't terrible....

We could make the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

I personally don't see a HUGE difference between this team and last year.....

So I think the results will be similar..... 9 wins....playoff loss.

DaneMcCloud
09-07-2015, 01:26 AM
I personally don't see a HUGE difference between this team and last year.....

I could not disagree more

Ming the Merciless
09-07-2015, 01:31 AM
I could not disagree more

Well, I hope you're right.

If so , there should be a huge difference in RESULTS.

A playoff win...division champs....double digit wins....

Chromatic
09-07-2015, 02:05 AM
The big thing with Alex and the o-line is if the line improves, Alex can set his feet and throw some decent intermediate passes down the field. He's deep ball is always going to suck. If the line sucks again, then it's going to be mostly check downs or quick routes to Maclin, Charles and Kelce, effectively limiting them and showing an offense that resembled the one that frequently sputtered last year.

To me, that is the big difference between 8-8 and 11-5. It simply cannot be overstated how important it is for the O-line to function when it comes to a limited QB like Alex Smith.

FloridaMan88
09-07-2015, 02:31 AM
16/18...175 2 TDs.

This is his season to prove that never being in the same system for 3 years was a major reason for a stunted start.

There are no excuses after this year...but I have seem him be excellent under duress. He was great in the play-off game against the Saints..that's something a lot of QBs in the NFL have never proven. He was fantastic in the Indy game...one of the best PO performances in history.

He has actually won a game in the play-offs...and by win..I mean...HE won it. That was a stellar drive in the NO game. Trent Green cant say that...

If those things never happened...I would agree with the nay-sayers...but they did. Stafford, Ryan, Rivers...never pulled that off in the post season. I'm rooting for him...not only because he's the QB of the team I follow...but he has got a raw deal (apart from $$$) in terms of realistic opportunities. The hatred towards him is really kind of bizarre....his career path is one of a kind.

This is his best chance...

It is pretty simple… when Alex Smith proves he can win a shootout, win a game when the Chiefs have to rely on his downfield passing then I will buy into the fact he is the right QB to lead the Chiefs to a Super Bowl.

ChiefGator
09-07-2015, 04:41 AM
Well, I must be a homer, since I disagree with most of these ten points.. although they are always a good read.

Most of these points have already been hashed over in thousands of posts this off-season, and I think I agree with Milkman's list, with a dash of 'I think Alex is going to surprise some people and be a solid middle of the road QB this year'.

I do like West though.. his pass blocking has actually been very good.. better than Davis.

-King-
09-07-2015, 05:11 AM
6. After all the hub bub about our wide outs not catching a single TD last year, I don't think that much has changed this year. It all starts and ends with Alex Smith. And I hate to say this, but this is what I truly think: We're flat out not going to go far with Alex Smith. This formula of relying on San Fran cast off QB's has proven time after time after time that it's just not good enough to get you to the big one and win it. Think about it: DeBerg, Montana, Bono, Grbac, Smith. What do they all have in common? Zero Super Bowls for KC. Sure, Montana got us close, but he was on fumes in 1993. And, he's the last guy to win a playoff game for KC against a team that doesn't even exist any more. Smith is capable. He's probably in the middle of the pack of all starting NFL QB's. He's basically Matt Cassel with a bit more speed and field awareness. But I see our passing game as the same dink and dunk we've seen for the last three years under Reid. We'll pass to Kelce, we'll pass to Charles out of the backfield, they'll try to throw deep once in a blue moon to Maclin. But Smith doesn't have the arm or accuracy for the long ball, and he's too afraid to make a mistake when a wide out has a half step on a cover guy. There was a video of highlights at the end of last year of Smith checking down or flat out not seeing guys running wide open deep down the field. After his season ending lacerated spleen injury, I would think if anything he'll be even more conservative with the football this year. I don't think Smith is hapless. I just think in this era of the NFL you must have an elite gunslinger to compete. We ain't got that. That's why we blew a 28-pont second half lead in our last playoff appearance. We had Smith. Colts had Andrew Luck, a game changer. The inability of KC to draft and develop a front line elite QB is the elephant in the room, and has been for more than 40 years.

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

Sandy Vagina
09-07-2015, 05:18 AM
-I just don't get how this team will win less than 10 games. How could they play a tough schedule and win 9 last year with the amount of injuries and lack of talent on offense?

Good overall post, RunKC.

Condolences, George. I generally enjoy your 10 things, but this just sounds like you are in a dark depression. I hope that the Chiefs can lift your spirits, and show you back to the light. :thumb:

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-07-2015, 06:43 AM
I will never read your 10 bullshit things crap again. I stopped after the first 3 in this one. You really haven't been following the Chiefs very closely it's apparent. Therefore your opinions are irrelevant.

8-8 is fucking retarted !

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2015, 06:45 AM
LMAO

Now George, the ticket holder, is a "hater".

Oh sweet God I love you CP.

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2015, 07:01 AM
8-8? WTF? :LOL:

Couldn't read anymore after that.

tmax63
09-07-2015, 07:05 AM
I usually agree with a lot of your opinions but this list is extremely depressed even by my cynical realistic standards. If you decide not to go to any of the games then I'll gladly take a couple tickets off your hands for free of course since nobody wants to pay to go see a loss.
I'm optimistic for the 1st time in quite awhile. The 1st stringers held their own during the preseason and the 2nd/3rd stringers actually won against a couple of good teams. Every preseason for past several years I was hoping "it's just preseason" except for this year.
Are you going for the reverse hex or what????

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2015, 07:09 AM
The loss at Indy stung as much as any playoff loss I can remember. How do you blow a 28 point lead in a half? Our defense couldn't stop Luck. That's what I'm saying, they had a guy that could put a team on his back and will them to win. We do not.

The secondary couldn't stop Hilton when Flowers went down. That's what happened.

BigMeatballDave
09-07-2015, 07:13 AM
A repeat of the 2004 season would just be the worst.

That year sucked more than 2008 or 2012.Heh, that was the last time we beat Manning. :D

gblowfish
09-07-2015, 07:14 AM
I usually agree with a lot of your opinions but this list is extremely depressed even by my cynical realistic standards. If you decide not to go to any of the games then I'll gladly take a couple tickets off your hands for free of course since nobody wants to pay to go see a loss.
I'm optimistic for the 1st time in quite awhile. The 1st stringers held their own during the preseason and the 2nd/3rd stringers actually won against a couple of good teams. Every preseason for past several years I was hoping "it's just preseason" except for this year.
Are you going for the reverse hex or what????

I'll check back with you after the first six games and see how you feel. Hey, I'm predicting most likely a winning season. What is wrong with you guys? It's just a pre-season prediction, a lot can change good and bad over the course of a season. This is not a two win Pioli disaster special I'm talking about, this is just my honest opinion at this juncture. If you want somebody to blow sunshine up your skirt, you're looking in the wrong place. That's what Arrowhead Pride is for.

tmax63
09-07-2015, 07:17 AM
You just sounded to much like Claynus in this list.

chiefzilla1501
09-07-2015, 07:26 AM
Alex is only going to be as good as his line allows him to be, and I don't think that's going to be very good. I think our defense is good enough, I think the skill position guys are good enough, but this o-line is going to be the doom of the 2015 Chiefs.

The Texans game could very well be a loss with their front seven going against our line, and it doesn't get any easier against the Broncos. Green Bay's defense doesn't scare me, but for that game we'll have to score 40+ to outduel Rodgers. We might not hit our stride until it's too late.

Alex is only going to be as good as Alex allows him to be.

The Chiefs had a shit offensive line end of 2013. Smith played well. Because his defense sucked, he had no choice but to attack and put up points. Smith has a knack for keeping games within 7-10 points. If the defense gives up 30+, Smith tends to score 30+. That's what's so frustrating about the guy. He's not a closer so he's not the type of guy that should rely on the "keep games close" strategy.

Sandy Vagina
09-07-2015, 07:31 AM
I'll check back with you after the first six games and see how you feel. Hey, I'm predicting most likely a winning season. What is wrong with you guys? It's just a pre-season prediction, a lot can change good and bad over the course of a season. This is not a two win Pioli disaster special I'm talking about, this is just my honest opinion at this juncture. If you want somebody to blow sunshine up your skirt, you're looking in the wrong place. That's what Arrowhead Pride is for.

The record prediction was not overlooked. It was the overall smell of defeated in your words that probably struck people.. and some of your reasoning behind it just fell to the side of Myopic Lane.

I prefer the honesty, at least.. and fortunately, you are not like some of the bleeding vaginas on here that can't go an hour without the redundant ledge-standing announced.

:thumb:

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2015, 07:31 AM

Stick to your guns, George. You've only been attending these games for what, 20 years?

What could you possibly know?

Bob Dole
09-07-2015, 07:46 AM
If you thought otherwise you were unrealistic.

A poster on CP? Nooooooo. Never.

BTW, Conley is a bust.

TEX
09-07-2015, 07:47 AM
Im saying 10-6 b/c the OL still has many issues and will likely be a work in progress all season. Also think we'll lose a game during the first 3 weeks with Smith out, that we otherwise might have won...

Red Dawg
09-07-2015, 07:50 AM
The first 3 games are brutal for a team still building. We must go 2-1 or we are in deep trouble. I still think we are not all the way there. Year 4 we should be capable of a strong playoff run. Manning will be gone and Denver will dump their FA's.

Indy has the same problem. Brady is standing in their way.

LoneWolf
09-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Stick to your guns, George. You've only been attending these games for what, 20 years?

WTF does attending games have to do with anything? I go to the movies a lot. That doesn't make me Stanley fucking Kubrik.

George is entitled to his opinion, and I enjoy reading his "Ten Things" threads, but the fact that he is a long-time season ticket holder doesn't make his opinions any more valid than somebody's who gas never stepped foot in Arrowhead.

Bwana
09-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Good read George. The thing that worries me the most is the OL. Another sleeper that always seems to bite us in the dangler is Reid's lack of time management skills. The guy always seems to have at least one move in that area that causes me to say WTF in almost every game. With that being said, I'm excited about the season and hope the team can "get their Royals on" and make a run in the right direction this year.

Wallcrawler
09-07-2015, 08:25 AM
This is going to be worlds different than last season's team. For starters, I watched Wide Receivers score touchdowns. Not just a couple either.

Granted, we uh....we cut the WR that scored most of the touchdowns for some weird reason....but Maclin has shown that he can be a bigtime threat in this offense. 7 catches in one half displays an element of trust between himself and Alex Smith, a QB with some serious trust issues when it comes to throwing the football outside the numbers.

Fasano is out of here. No more valuable time will he steal from Kelce, who should only have come out of the game if he was injured, or exhausted.

We have a massive injection of talent to an already fearsome defense. DJ, DeVito, Peters, Wilson, Branch, and getting Berry back.

Now, all this being said, there are still some things we need to see happen before all of these great things actually amount to anything on the field.

Reid has to get over his terminal stupidity on gameday in situational football and Alex Smith has to understand that you need to throw passes through the air further than 5 yards if you want a legitimate shot at a playoff appearance.

Sutton needs to understand that this isn't Madden, and these guys actually do experience fatigue and a rotation needs to be set. Poe walks a dangerous line here recovering from a herniated disc surgery. Howard is serviceable, but we need Poe at his best in not only the 4th quarter, but also in the final stretch/potential playoff push.

Some adjustments in scheme would be nice as well, when his favored Man to Man blitz blitz blitz answer for everything is being countered by the ground game and 1.5 second passes.

The talent to do great things is present on the team, and it runs deep through the roster. I haven't seen a Chiefs team this deep in talent since around 1995.

If these key guys step up and do what is necessary, OC/DC/QB, the sky is the limit for this football team.

If we just cant figure it out, waste our timeouts, punt to save 17 yards of field position when we're down late in the 4th, run our guys on fumes in a close contest, or are just too timid to even TRY to make a play that goes more than 5 yards, then we wont go very far at all and we will lose some games in embarrassing fashion and hear about how Andy has to do a better job of shit he's been saying he needs to do a better job at for the better part of his career.

Cmd'r&Chief
09-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Did all of these spot-on predictions come to you in a dream or a vision? /s

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2015, 08:32 AM
WTF does attending games have to do with anything? I go to the movies a lot. That doesn't make me Stanley fucking Kubrik.

George is entitled to his opinion, and I enjoy reading his "Ten Things" threads, but the fact that he is a long-time season ticket holder doesn't make his opinions any more valid than somebody's who gas never stepped foot in Arrowhead.

His concerns are legitimate, and it is funny as all fuck watching the usual suspects get all worked up because a long time poster and staple of CP game days has tossed his pom-poms in the garbages.

This thread fucking rocks.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Is Marcellus on suicide watch after reading this?

chiefzilla1501
09-07-2015, 08:33 AM
The first 3 games are brutal for a team still building. We must go 2-1 or we are in deep trouble. I still think we are not all the way there. Year 4 we should be capable of a strong playoff run. Manning will be gone and Denver will dump their FA's.

Indy has the same problem. Brady is standing in their way.

We're not really building. Apart from OL, which has been instable the previous 2 years where we went 9-7, is the only main area. Most else is stable. We started the year last year at 1-2 and rebounded really nicely. I think it's entirely possible for the Chiefs to at least split the first 4 which puts them in good shape. If we're talking about instable, keep a few things in mind:

Houston will have a new QB playing behind a really raw interior OL. That QB ended last season with 11 INTs in his last 8 games
Aaron Rodgers has started each of the last 2 seasons at 1-2. He hasn't been a fast starter lately. And the Chiefs enter that game with a long 10-day prep
The Chiefs get Peyton on a short week with Denver travelling from Denver to Arrowhead
Cincinnati since losing Zimmer at DC dropped from consistent top 10... often top 5 defense to #22. They'll have to play without Burfict who is on PUP

So let's not act as if the deck is stacked against the Chiefs the first 4 games. With those things in mind I don't see how this schedule is harder than when the Chiefs had Denver-Miami-New England-SF (we split 2-2)

Mennonite
09-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Kill the non-believer!

gblowfish
09-07-2015, 08:36 AM
WTF does attending games have to do with anything? I go to the movies a lot. That doesn't make me Stanley ****ing Kubrik.

I agree completely. I never claimed to be Fatlock -If I were Fatlock I'd have predicted 16-0. My view could be changed dramatically after the first four games. I just know that when our #1 guys went up against other #1 guys in pre-season, we didn't look like all that. Against Tenn we looked OK, but Tennessee is not a good team. They're going to struggle while Mariota tries to figure it out.

gblowfish
09-07-2015, 08:40 AM

49 but who's counting?

Red Dawg
09-07-2015, 08:42 AM

This team could 0-3 and play great in each game. The schedule has screwed us so we have no room for error right from the start. That is a problem in the first month that will take a miracle to over come.

gblowfish
09-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Did all of these spot-on predictions come to you in a dream or a vision? /s

I do most of my research on the can, but thanks for asking....

DaFace
09-07-2015, 08:43 AM
This team could 0-3 and play great in each game. The schedule has screwed us so we have no room for error right from the start. That is a problem in the first month that will take a miracle to over come.

Eh, the good news is that the back half of the schedule isn't bad at all. If we get to the midpoint at 4-4 or better, we'll be in good shape to have momentum going into the playoffs (if we get there of course).

Deberg_1990
09-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Don't really get the "doom and gloom" attitude this year???

But I understand where it comes from. KC sports fan has battered wife syndrome.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-07-2015, 08:47 AM
I remember two years ago when we had to start out facing the Giants, Cowboys ,Eagles everyone said this 2-14 team would be a miracle not to start 0-6.

We started 9-0

Edit: Oh yeah, Dumbasses !

Mav
09-07-2015, 08:49 AM

Meh. Judging schedules before any games are played is tough. When I first got here there were these talks of how tough the schedule was and it actually turned out to be average. Of course this is the NFL so most schedules are moderately tough. There are always teams that you think are going to be good that just aren't.

Mav
09-07-2015, 08:50 AM
I remember two years ago when we had to start out facing the Giants, Cowboys ,Eagles everyone said this 2-14 team would be a miracle not to start 0-6.

We started 9-0

Hey! I'm not the only one.

chiefzilla1501
09-07-2015, 08:55 AM

We started 9-0

And last year when we started out 0-2 and freaked out because we had the Dolphins-Pats-49ers-Chargers. We ended up 3-1 in that stretch.

gblowfish
09-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Following the Chiefs is like being married to Ike Turner.

MahiMike
09-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Wow George. Who pissed in your cornflakes? We have the best team in years and you are ready to jump off the Paseo.

Chiefnj2
09-07-2015, 09:29 AM
It's not always who you play, but when you play that matters just as much.

Texans have their RB out and the Pack are nursing some injuries. It's good to draw them early. If you can't beat playoff caliber teams in the regular season, you don't deserve to make the post season.

As far as George's list. I tend to agree with him. I can see anything from 8 wins to 11 wins barring an injury to Charles. I think people are being influenced by game 3 a little too much. We will see. The Texans D will be a good test for KC's offense. Should be a brilliant low scoring game where Herm and Marty ball are taken to new levels of conservativeness.

Meatloaf
09-07-2015, 09:36 AM

Always enjoy reading your Top Ten Things, George. Thanks for sharing!

notorious
09-07-2015, 09:37 AM

Yep.

First 4 weeks (thanks NFL), "home" game in Europe, and our QB add up to a lot of doom and gloom.

A true championship team like NE and Seattle would battle through and be fine. We will see if this KC team lives up to the hype.

Deberg_1990
09-07-2015, 09:43 AM

Heh true.

Honestly George, if everyone stays healthy, I see at least an 11 win team.

This is a solid group.

BigCatDaddy
09-07-2015, 09:46 AM
I agree Mr Blowfish. A great defense combined with ASS11 and a very suspect line smells like 8-8 to me.

dirk digler
09-07-2015, 09:51 AM
I agree with your post George. For me the first 4 weeks of the season will define if this is another wasted season or a special one and the opening game is a must win.

Discuss Thrower
09-07-2015, 09:56 AM
In true CP form, a lot of criticizing the poster and very little criticism of the content of a poster's message.

Anyong Bluth
09-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Will there be a top 10 list of positive things going into the season now that you've done your top 10 negatives list?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

CoMoChief
09-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Not spending a 7th rd pick on La'El Collins looks really fucking stupid right about now.

DaFace
09-07-2015, 10:18 AM
In true CP form, a lot of criticizing the poster and very little criticism of the content of a poster's message.

Objectively, there's no logical reason why this team should be worse than last year. The front office has now been together 3 years, so things should be hitting their stride. We lost some key players to injury last year that are now healthy (knock on wood). We have a WR that now fits into Andy's offense. We have much better depth this year to handle injuries. And I don't see how anyone can really say this year's schedule is tougher than last year's.

The only areas that one might reasonably suspect we might see a decline are the OL, which didn't definitively improve, Charles slowing down now that he's getting to be a little older, and I suppose you could say Alex might get worse, though that seems unlikely at this point in his career. Barring more injuries to key players, every other position is either equal or better than it was last year.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that the OP sounds more like the subjective reaction to 50 years of being disappointed rather than an objective evaluation of the season. That's why the focus is on George rather than on his evaluation.

wheeler08
09-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Most depressing thread in a while....

RunKC
09-07-2015, 10:20 AM

If said poster makes a ridiculously stupid post, then said poster should absolutely be criticized.

Hint: don't make stupid posts

SAUTO
09-07-2015, 10:21 AM

I agree with this post

SAUTO
09-07-2015, 10:24 AM

2005 was a better shot than the one where we led by about 30 points?

SAUTO
09-07-2015, 10:25 AM

Despite the fact most people think Denver will win the division.

Despite the fact the O/u for this team is 8.5

Despite the fact HOUSTON is still the favorite week 1.

Good god...this place is unbearable at times.

There's absolutely no middle ground.....Its either Superbowl or shit hole.

I personally think 9-7 feels about right...and I think we will start a bit rough and then finish strong. Hopefully we can be hot and get a chance at that playoff game.

That would be a good season, despite what the homers try and say.
The over under on the royals was 82 games this year.

SAUTO
09-07-2015, 10:33 AM

I think they are criticizing the poster because of what he posted.

BTW it's almost all wrong George.

Rausch
09-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Too long/Didn't Reid...

Discuss Thrower
09-07-2015, 10:35 AM
I think they are criticizing the poster because of what he posted.

BTW it's almost all wrong George.

Well that's circular.

SAUTO
09-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Well that's circular.

I didn't see anyone just come here to bash George, I think he's very well liked around here.

This is most definitely not a case of arguing the poster and not the post but that's just my opinion of course

Tombstone RJ
09-07-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm pissed about you're view of Charles. I drafted Charles on my FF team. He better stay healthy, he better get 2k+ all purpose yards and a boat load of TDs.

Tombstone RJ
09-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Objectively, there's no logical reason why this team should be worse than last year. The front office has now been together 3 years, so things should be hitting their stride. We lost some key players to injury last year that are now healthy (knock on wood). We have a WR that now fits into Andy's offense. We have much better depth this year to handle injuries. And I don't see how anyone can really say this year's schedule is tougher than last year's.

The only areas that one might reasonably suspect we might see a decline are the OL, which didn't definitively improve, Charles slowing down now that he's getting to be a little older, and I suppose you could say Alex might get worse, though that seems unlikely at this point in his career. Barring more injuries to key players, every other position is either equal or better than it was last year.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that the OP sounds more like the subjective reaction to 50 years of being disappointed rather than an objective evaluation of the season. That's why the focus is on George rather than on his evaluation.

did you read the fucking OP or are you just going off emotion? YOU ARE NOT OBJECTIVE. PERIOD.

op is.

bricks
09-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Most depressing thread in a while....

Yeah tell me about it. I stopped reading it half way through. No offense to gblowfish.

You have experts/critics out there who say we will be competitive and so I'm gonna focus on what they say because it's more positive and better to digest.

rico
09-07-2015, 11:04 AM
I agree Mr Blowfish. A great defense combined with ASS11 and a very suspect line smells like 8-8 to me.

This.

Buehler445
09-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Yep.

First 4 weeks (thanks NFL), "home" game in Europe, and our QB add up to a lot of doom and gloom.

A true championship team like NE and Seattle would battle through and be fine. We will see if this KC team lives up to the hype.

FWIW NE hardly ever starts fast since Moss left. Both those teams got beat by a team that missed the playoffs. (us). Teams can hit skids and get rolling later. That's why there isn't ever undefeated teams. But the stats on 0-2 teams and the playoffs are staggering.

Discuss Thrower
09-07-2015, 11:26 AM
FWIW NE hardly ever starts fast since Moss left. Both those teams got beat by a team that missed the playoffs. (us). Teams can hit skids and get rolling later. That's why there isn't ever undefeated teams. But the stats on 0-2 teams and the playoffs are staggering.

http://i.imgur.com/CQ0w49O.jpg?

-King-
09-07-2015, 11:27 AM
This.

As evidenced by the past 2 seasons.

Oh.

Wait.

CoMoChief
09-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Not spending a 7th rd pick on La'El Collins looks really fucking stupid right about now.

Discuss Thrower
09-07-2015, 11:38 AM

Something something Belcher something something.

BigRedChief
09-07-2015, 01:18 PM
Ten Things About The Upcoming Season
.Damn man I realize its not all roses and rainbows for us this year. That was depressing to read. It's your opinion and I respect it but I think you are reading the season tea leaves all wrong.

Rausch
09-07-2015, 01:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CQ0w49O.jpg?

So you're saying 9-7 is iffy...

scho63
09-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Thanks GB for starting the season off with a thought provoking Ten Things.

The #1 scariest thing for me is our OL and the tough schedule to start. We could easily be 0-4. I hope I'm dead wrong as well.

I don't see a ton of improvement-added depth and return of injured players yes, improvement not so much except Maclin and one guy isn't going to turn you into a SB team unless he is a superstar QB.

Discuss Thrower
09-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks GB for starting the season off with a thought provoking Ten Things.

The #1 scariest thing for me is our OL and the tough schedule to start. We could easily be 0-4. I hope I'm dead wrong as well.

I don't see a ton of improvement-added depth and return of injured players yes, improvement not so much except Maclin and one guy isn't going to turn you into a SB team unless he is a superstar QB.

Regrettably, this.

It'd be nice for a change if they do go 0-4 that the FO decides to trot out Murray to see if he's worth anything as a starter.

I don't think 0-4 is likely, but it's obviously possible. Going by Vermeil's "quarters" breakdown of a schedule, I'd say 1-3, 3-1, 1-3 and 2-2 to finish '15. 8-8, no playoffs, draft a 1st round LT next May.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Regrettably, this.

It'd be nice for a change if they do go 0-4 that the FO decides to trot out Murray to see if he's worth anything as a starter.

I don't think 0-4 is likely, but it's obviously possible. Going by Vermeil's "quarters" breakdown of a schedule, I'd say 1-3, 3-1, 1-3 and 2-2 to finish '15. 8-8, no playoffs, draft a 1st round LT next May.

I really, really, really hope that Charles, Mac, and Kelce can make enough noise to beat the statistic spread and bury any possibility of such horseshit.

Easy 6
09-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Mr. Blowfish,

Your Ten Things have always been a personal favorite, reading you describing some of those plays that unfolded right in front of you... good and bad... were and still are killer.

You are a very well seasoned skillet, Sir... but this nervous sounding piece is among your worst... you are expecting the worst on every front.

Its like a battered wife that just found Mr. Pretty Damn Good but still complains.

I don't wanna argue specific points for right now... lets just watch for a bit, first.

Less than double digit wins? I don't care whats going on with the O line, this is a double digit win team if just a few people stay fairly healthy... your pervading pessimism here is depressing and somehow beneath you.

gblowfish
09-07-2015, 06:52 PM
Mr. Blowfish,

Your Ten Things have always been a personal favorite, reading you describing some of those plays that unfolded right in front of you... good and bad... were and still are killer.

You are a very well seasoned skillet, Sir... but this nervous sounding piece is among your worst... you are expecting the worst on every front.

Its like a battered wife that just found Mr. Pretty Damn Good but still complains.

I don't wanna argue specific points for right now... lets just watch for a bit, first.

Less than double digit wins? I don't care whats going on with the O line, this is a double digit win team if just a few people stay fairly healthy... your pervading pessimism here is depressing and somehow beneath you.

I think some of you guys are high on the Kool-Aid. There are multiple thoughts about the upcoming season. Peter King thinks the Chiefs will win the division, others think Denver. Others think San Diego.

I said I thought the Chiefs were a borderline playoff team this year. Some of you guys are only going to be satisfied if this team wins 12 or 13 games. Don't think that's gonna happen. Too much parity in the NFL. There will probably be about a third of the teams who will have a shot at the playoffs with two weeks left in the season.

I'm never going to tell you anything other than exactly what I'm thinking. Sorry if you see me as a pessimist. Yes, I pointed out a lot of the things I'm worried about. I also said look for good things from West, and from Maclin, and from Bailey and Wilson, and Colquitt is one of the best punters in football. Obviously we have things going for us. I'm glad DJ is back. I'm glad Berry is back. I'm glad Kelce is our starting tight end.

But if you want little Mary Sunshine, I'm not your guy. I'm trying to be realistic. And as others have said, I'm just a fan. It's just my opinion. Don't take it personally. I hope the kool aid drinkers are right. I just see enough potential trouble to be a bit more guarded in my initial forecast.

Deberg_1990
09-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Whatever becomes of the season, its going to be a fun thread bump in a few months.

It will either be "See i told ya so!"

or "See how wrong you were George!!!"

Easy 6
09-07-2015, 07:18 PM
It can sometimes be a fine line between being one of the Four Horsemen and the *fisherdrafthighfive.gif" crowd... but you have crossed it in my humble opinion Mr. Blowfish.

I'm thinking you're going to love your seats more than ever this year.

Bearcat
09-07-2015, 07:42 PM

That makes sense for a team like the Royals and the few miserable fans who drag down those game threads... WTF more do you want, right?

The big, big, big difference is the Royals have actually done something... like, winning playoff games and you know, actually being pretty damn good.

I'm sure you can understand people wanting more than potential for a change... actual results... especially for those who somehow still convince themselves to spend money on the team every year.

Halfcan
09-07-2015, 10:25 PM
I was excited for the season for once- but after reading this-I think I will watch soccer instead.

Discuss Thrower
09-07-2015, 11:24 PM
8-8 after a 9-7 season where they beat NE/Seattle?..and lost DJ and Devito.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Remember the classic fan trope: everything we did well last year will stay the same and everything we did poorly will improve</p>&mdash; Bill Barnwell (@billbarnwell) <a href="https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/640893109358956544">September 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hammock Parties
09-07-2015, 11:27 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Remember the classic fan trope: everything we did well last year will stay the same and everything we did poorly will improve</p>&mdash; Bill Barnwell (@billbarnwell) <a href="https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/640893109358956544">September 7, 2015</a></blockquote>

Yes. This is the dumbest mistake the homers on here keep making.

This kind of reasoning is what led people to believe the 2011 Chiefs were going to morph into a playoff contender in 2012.

And those same idiots are using the same reasoning three years later.

Hammock Parties
09-07-2015, 11:28 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar3815_380.gif

thabear04
09-07-2015, 11:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000523584/article/bold-predictions-for-the-2015-season

Alex Smith will throw for 4,000 yards, set career high in TDs

You're either laughing at the concept of the Kansas City Chiefs quarterback throwing anywhere near that many yards, or scoffing that it's not "bold" enough in today's pass-happy NFL.

For the latter group, I offer you this knowledge: Donovan McNabb never threw for 4,000 yards in any of his seasons under Andy Reid (3,916 in 2008). In fact, in no time during his head-coaching career has Reid's offense produced a single 4,000-yard passer.

As for those of you laughing, the Chiefs' offensive additions have helped open up the passing attack. Jeremy Maclin looks like a go-to receiver and tight end Travis Kelce will do his Gronk-in-2011 impersonation. The Chiefs' speed on the outside is vastly improved from last season's piddling unit. Yes, it's still Alex Smith, the quivering, never-take-chances quarterback. But he threw for 3,265 yards with a group of receivers that couldn't earn separation from a blowing leaf, much less a cornerback in 2014. -- Kevin Patra

Alex Smith will also set a career-high in passing touchdowns. A unit that failed to complete a single touchdown pass to a wide receiver a year ago will be completely forgotten and Smith will redefine himself as a passer at age 31. This will not be a Ben Roethlisberger-type explosion from a year ago, but Reid will work his magic and Smith, now with Maclin by his side, will find a new best friend rather quickly. -- Conor Orr

eDave
09-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Posting Top Ten's is like being married to Ike Turner.

FYP

But I love them and look forward to them. Great content.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-08-2015, 04:29 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000523584/article/bold-predictions-for-the-2015-season

Alex Smith will throw for 4,000 yards, set career high in TDs

You're either laughing at the concept of the Kansas City Chiefs quarterback throwing anywhere near that many yards, or scoffing that it's not "bold" enough in today's pass-happy NFL.

For the latter group, I offer you this knowledge: Donovan McNabb never threw for 4,000 yards in any of his seasons under Andy Reid (3,916 in 2008). In fact, in no time during his head-coaching career has Reid's offense produced a single 4,000-yard passer.

As for those of you laughing, the Chiefs' offensive additions have helped open up the passing attack. Jeremy Maclin looks like a go-to receiver and tight end Travis Kelce will do his Gronk-in-2011 impersonation. The Chiefs' speed on the outside is vastly improved from last season's piddling unit. Yes, it's still Alex Smith, the quivering, never-take-chances quarterback. But he threw for 3,265 yards with a group of receivers that couldn't earn separation from a blowing leaf, much less a cornerback in 2014. -- Kevin Patra

Alex Smith will also set a career-high in passing touchdowns. A unit that failed to complete a single touchdown pass to a wide receiver a year ago will be completely forgotten and Smith will redefine himself as a passer at age 31. This will not be a Ben Roethlisberger-type explosion from a year ago, but Reid will work his magic and Smith, now with Maclin by his side, will find a new best friend rather quickly. -- Conor Orr

HAND PARTY!

-King-
09-08-2015, 04:37 AM

So you don't think Maclin is a huge improvement over Bowe? Derrick Johnson and Devito aren't good for our bottom 5 run defense? Do you think our pass defense can't be top 5 or at worst top 10 this year?

Which areas of the team have we downgraded?

Sandy Vagina
09-08-2015, 07:11 AM
So you don't think Maclin is a huge improvement over Bowe? Derrick Johnson and Devito aren't good for our bottom 5 run defense? Do you think our pass defense can't be top 5 or at worst top 10 this year?

.. and it's not like being dead last in takeaways last season can't be improved upon.

CoMoChief
09-08-2015, 08:48 AM

OL has been degraded ever since Reid and Dorsey arrived.

Deberg_1990
12-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Bump!
Posted via Mobile Device

gblowfish
12-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Well, I said "Posting Top Tens is like being married to Ike Turner." That certainly rings true...