PDA

View Full Version : Life Are you in the 2% that can you solve Einsteins riddle?

BigRedChief
09-08-2015, 06:31 PM
The following riddle is claimed to have been written by Einstein as a boy. It's also sometimes attributed to Lewis Carrol, although there's no evidence that either of them actually wrote it. Either way, it's fiendishly clever and is popularly called "Einstein's riddle". It's rumored that only 2% of the world can solve it.

See if you can figure it out:

There are five houses in five different colors in a row. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The five owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage.

Other facts:
1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the immediate left of the white house.
5. The green house's owner drinks coffee.
6. The owner who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The owner living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The owner who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.
12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who drinks water.

The question is: who owns the fish?

There are no tricks, all it requires is simple logic.

Those that haven’t the patience to work it out can watch PoETheeds' video, which takes you through the process of solving it step by step.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ELVWdaNESkk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Boar Semen !

Fairplay
09-08-2015, 06:39 PM
I think it is Boar Semen also.

TambaBerry
09-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Wait until I get to work tomorrow. I'll have more time.

Coochie liquor
09-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Boar Semen !

This!!

BigRedChief
09-08-2015, 06:47 PM
Boar Semen !Thats your answer to everything.:harumph:

RINGLEADER
09-08-2015, 06:54 PM
It should be called the 20% riddle because that's your chance of guessing right.

Gonzo
09-08-2015, 06:55 PM
It was colonel mustard, in the library with a candlestick.

Third Eye
09-08-2015, 07:04 PM
2% is incredibly dubious. That wasn't even remotely challenging.

kccrow
09-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Easier in a step by step...

Norwegian in first house
Norwegian next to blue house, so blue is second
Owner in the center house drinks milk, so green can't be center since he drinks coffee and that house can't be white since that house is right of the green house, center house is red, and then the next two are green then white, leaving the Norwegian to be in the Yellow house.
Norwegian must smoke Dunhill since he's in the Yellow House
Brit drinks milk since he's in the center house
Blue house has a horse since it lives next to the one that smokes Dunhill (the Norwegian)
The Norwegian can't drink milk or coffee (known), he also can't drink beer because he doesn't smoke Bluemasters, he isn't a Dane so he doesn't drink tea, so he must drink water
The one that smokes blends lives next to the one that drinks water, so the blue house dweller smokes blends
The one that smokes Bluemasters drinks beer and the only spot open for both drink and smoke is the white house, #5.
The Dane drinks tea, and the only house left without anything in drink nor nationality is #2, the Blue house
The German smokes prince, and the only house with nothing in smoke or nationality is #4, the Green house.
The Swede keeps dogs as pets, and the only house with nothing in both nationality and pet is #5, the White house
The one who smokes Pall Mall rears birds, and the only house with nothing in pet nor smoke is #3, the Red house.
The one who smokes Blends lives next to the one that keeps cats, and the only option for Cats is #1, the Yellow House
So, the one who owns the fish is the German

BigRedChief
09-08-2015, 07:16 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRABZizr9YD2yr26VRa7usiZqGhNjE_0s7SZHpcB7VTOalopl6Z

Third Eye
09-08-2015, 07:21 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRABZizr9YD2yr26VRa7usiZqGhNjE_0s7SZHpcB7VTOalopl6Z

Haha, yeah, that probably came out a bit more internet badass than I intended.

Psyko Tek
09-08-2015, 07:34 PM
I am in the percentage that can google the answer
reasoning to solve a problem is important and should not be discounted,
but why kill yourself when you can look it up

and No I haven't looked it up or read the whole riddle
I am in the apathy camp

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Thats your answer to everything.:harumph:

Because it solves a lot of problems

displacedinMN
09-08-2015, 07:37 PM
I don't have the attention span to care about it.

kccrow
09-08-2015, 07:38 PM
This is a nice little riddle to give to algebra students in high school or something to get them thinking logically... when I got this handed to me, many moons ago, we had a time limit to solve it, which was something like 20 minutes.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-08-2015, 07:53 PM
My daughter figured it out right away !

Boar semen.

Mojo Jojo
09-08-2015, 08:01 PM
It's simple formal logic...like a truth table

Dartgod
09-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Didn't read any of the responses, didn't Google it, didn't look at the spoiler.

The German owns the fish.

Gonzo
09-08-2015, 08:45 PM
My daughter figured it out right away !

Boar semen.

Pics?

Mama Hip Rockets
09-08-2015, 08:55 PM
It took me a while, but I finally figured it out. I was on the verge of giving up and looking up the solution on the video, but my wife slapped me on the chest and told me not to cheat.

I really don't buy in to this 2% stuff, though. I've already talked to 2 other guys who figured it out in 30 minutes or less. I sincerely doubt that all of us are amongst the 2% of smartest people on Earth.

NJChiefsFan
09-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Haha, yeah, that probably came out a bit more internet badass than I intended.

You are right though. 2% seems way too low. I can understand that a lot of people don't get it right just based on not caring or giving up, but otherwise a decent amount of people should be able to get it.

big nasty kcnut
09-08-2015, 09:09 PM
I know the answer 42!

ROYC75
09-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Good Grief, just because I know the answer dose not make me Einstien material. The answer has been out for many of years, but seriously, who wants to take the time to brek it all down to get the answer. It serves no real purpose to how damn smart you are.

ClevelandBronco
09-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Couldn't we just ask Dane, since he lives there and all?

Dartgod
09-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Good Grief, just because I know the answer dose not make me Einstien material. The answer has been out for many of years, but seriously, who wants to take the time to brek it all down to get the answer. It serves no real purpose to how damn smart you are.
Couldn't figure it out, huh?

Kaepernick
09-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Son of a bitch this is hard, but I'm not quitting yet.

I had to cheat once. I looked at the spoiler but didn't play it. I saw where the red house was and realized I missed a clue. The center house is a milk drinker so there is no way that can be the green house because the green house is a coffee drinker. Therefore the only way the green house can be left of the white house, is if the white house is at far right.

So that clears up the Dunhill smoker and the horse owner.

And here I am hopelessly stuck trying to find which coupling lives next to each other where one smokes blends and the other owns cats. Right now I have 2 solutions and I am missing the clue necessary to solve that, so either I glossed over a clue, or I am focusing on the wrong coupling, and maybe I should be paring down the one who smokes blends who lives next to the one who drinks water. My problem is that the guy who drinks water can own cats, so again back to 2 solutions.

Crap! what am I missing!

-King-
09-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Can you solve the title?
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefGator
09-08-2015, 11:15 PM
Solved it... took me a while though.. 45 minutes. Probably because I was a bit too meticulous, and kept track of each clue on a separate card.

Kinda fun though.

phisherman
09-09-2015, 05:49 PM
If only 2% of people can really solve this, then that's more of a damning statement about the general intelligence of humans than anything. This is a basic logic problem, nothing more. I do probably 5-10 of these a week and I've done that pretty much my whole life. I buy little $2 books that are filled with them.

These types of puzzles are a great way to keep your mind sharp. My mom and dad had me doing puzzles like this during my entire upbringing and I like to think that it helped a whole lot. I had a lot of fun in the gifted elementary program racing the teachers to see who could finish them first. I won a lot more than they wanted to admit. ;)

Kaepernick
09-09-2015, 06:00 PM
It took me a while, but I finally figured it out. I was on the verge of giving up and looking up the solution on the video, but my wife slapped me on the chest and told me not to cheat.

I really don't buy in to this 2% stuff, though. I've already talked to 2 other guys who figured it out in 30 minutes or less. I sincerely doubt that all of us are amongst the 2% of smartest people on Earth.

Seeing as most of earth's population can't read English, I would say 2% might be a good number. :LOL:

rabblerouser
09-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Yeah it took about 20 seconds.

rabblerouser
09-09-2015, 06:06 PM
Seeing as most of earth's population can't read English, I would say 2% might be a good number. :LOL:

This is true. The majority of American high school graduates can barely read.

Start Croyle
09-09-2015, 06:08 PM
I didn't work out the answer. But I am familiar with this type of puzzle. When I was a kid I had a book full of them (though maybe not as elaborate as this one.)

It's just one instance in a whole puzzle genre, like crosswords or sudoku.

BigRedChief
09-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Yeah it took about 20 seconds.
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/56745443.jpg

Bowser
09-09-2015, 06:47 PM
I am not in the 2% that can solve this. I am in the 98% that couldn't give any fucks less about it, though.

ChiefGator
09-09-2015, 07:13 PM
These types of puzzles are a great way to keep your mind sharp.

Agree... that is why I felt like doing this one.

It is a wee bit more complicated than many, but only because it is essentially six dimensions.

However, everything is clearly laid out in the clues.. no need to start making hypotheses or anything. Pretty simple, just a bit laborious to ensure you get it all right.. at least the way I did it. I graphed out each clue separately and then started merging them all together until I was left with just five graphs.. one for each house.

BigRedChief
09-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Agree... that is why I felt like doing this one.

It is a wee bit more complicated than many, but only because it is essentially six dimensions.

However, everything is clearly laid out in the clues.. no need to start making hypotheses or anything. Pretty simple, just a bit laborious to ensure you get it all right.. at least the way I did it. I graphed out each clue separately and then started merging them all together until I was left with just five graphs.. one for each house.Right, no tricks just logic.

BigRedChief
09-09-2015, 07:38 PM
I am not in the 2% that can solve this. I am in the 98% that couldn't give any fucks less about it, though.I spend a lot of time talking and thinking about games and entertainment. I try to spend a little time each day on my own time thinking on a little higher level than how pissed I am at my teams play.

Bowser
09-09-2015, 08:32 PM
I spend a lot of time talking and thinking about games and entertainment. I try to spend a little time each day on my own time thinking on a little higher level than how pissed I am at my teams play.

Solid point

saphojunkie
09-09-2015, 09:55 PM
I love these things. Took about 20 minutes.

See attachment for an easy way to keep track.

saphojunkie
09-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Here is the answer key (if I did it correctly):

JohnnyHammersticks
09-09-2015, 10:10 PM
I take a really crowded on-ramp on my way home from work every day where two lanes merge into one before merging onto the interstate. No traffic lights on the on-ramp. After watching all the brainless ****ing morons try to navigate that simple process each day, it actually surprises me that 2% are able to solve this riddle. I would've guessed 1 in 1000 people could solve it, even though it's not that difficult. The average person is dumber than a steaming pile of shit. Less than 50% of kids here in the Denver Public School system even graduate high school.

Embarrassingly, it took me almost 30 minutes to figure it out because I didn't write out the entire grid at first, just the houses and items.

mnchiefsguy
09-10-2015, 01:01 AM
Took me three pages of notebook paper...I am sloppy at note taking, but I got it right!

Logic and note taking at its finest.

saphojunkie
09-10-2015, 01:57 AM
Figuring out how to make the grid was actually more challenging.

aturnis
09-10-2015, 03:20 AM
My first mistake was paper and pen. Switched to pencil and had it shortly thereafter.

I'm thinking the 2% reflects the number of people properly equipped with a chalkboard.

patteeu
09-10-2015, 09:03 AM

There's a lot of people in the world who can't read English and I bet they'd have a hard time coming up with the right answer.

patteeu
09-10-2015, 09:05 AM

:cuss: :)

scho63
09-10-2015, 10:06 AM
I used to do these type of logic puzzles all the time online, there are websites you can find that have all types of these.

You use a grid pattern for the number of choices x the number of options. In this case there are 5 choices for each and 6 variables; therefore a 5 x 6 grid that you begin to fill in based on absolute info and then also info that is a known negative. A logic process of elimination.

Variables:
1. Color of House
2. Location of House
3. Type of Pet
4. Drink of Choice
5. Ethnic Origin
6. Cigarette of Choice

I've solved this before in a challenge.

Dartgod
09-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Nobody solved this in 20 seconds. Give me a break.

BigRedChief
09-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Nobody solved this in 20 seconds. Give me a break.Not without cheating. It is pure logic. But, it does take a little while to work through the logic.

scho63
09-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Here are two sites that have a variety of logic puzzles if this has piqued your interest or stimulated your brain.

http://www.puzzlersparadise.com/page1034.html

http://www.logic-puzzles.org/

GayFrogs
09-10-2015, 05:47 PM
I got stuck where I had the blue and white house as either tea or beer. So just marked them both as tea/beer. If you get past that hurdle it all falls into place. (the answer is the green house)