PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Steve DeBerg: Good enough, not great

Lzen
09-10-2015, 02:16 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/QB-Series-Chapter-14-Good-Enough-but-not-Great/e0c48f7f-4445-4393-aa5b-4400832bb7fa

Bob Moore
Team Historian
Chiefs Hall of Honor
Email ChiefsHallofHonor.com
Steve DeBerg takes the Chiefs as far as his talents allow
This is another in a season-long series on the Kansas City Chiefs search for a franchise quarterback. It appears weekly on Thursdays throughout the 2015 season.

SEE ALL PAST CHAPTERS HERE

Steve DeBerg had taken the Chiefs as far as he could, and it had been a pretty long trip given from where they had come. They were a contending team, only a quarterback away, more than one pundit had said. The future had arrived, it not accompanied by a “quarterback of the future.”

DeBerg had never been bashful insisting he was a “system quarterback” and once he got the hang of Schottenheimer’s system the Chiefs were in reasonably good hands, big hands, as it turned out, really big hands, since his were among the largest in the NFL for a quarterback.

“For me to perform best, I need teammates who are thoroughly in tune with the system,” he admitted. “I’m not a great improviser; I don’t make a lot of plays out of nothing, the way some quarterbacks do. What I excel at is executing a good play at the snap. Not scrambling, but executing the play and making it work.”......

BigMeatballDave
09-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Can't say much for his threads...

siberian khatru
09-10-2015, 02:20 PM
One of the best play-action QBs I ever saw.

BigRichard
09-10-2015, 02:23 PM
I rather read another Deberg thread than.... I'm confused

wazu
09-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Deberg spoke to my high school team before homecoming one year. Nice guy. Said he played Center in high school until the QB got hurt his senior year.

loochy
09-10-2015, 03:18 PM
whenver i hear deberg, i immediately think of the pin in his pinky

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/81410851.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934B869679A269F9CCE0B5BF02B411C7DF26FD13ED7B73D4BC

Rasputin
09-10-2015, 03:19 PM
I was at the Houston Oilers game when Steve DeBerg hit his pinky on an Oilers helmet and broked his pinky and they showed it on the jumbo tron a bunch of times.

That was the same game Warren Moon passed for over 500yards & making a new passing record with cold November rain at least it was cold and misty with a fog I remember.

So we had Steve DeBerg with big manly hands then we had Dave Krieg with girly small hands that had the most fumbles in NFL history for quarterbacks. Dammit Carl :cuss:

jimidollar
09-10-2015, 03:21 PM
whenver i hear deberg, i immediately think of the pin in his thumb

Damn, I forgot about that. What year did that happen? 90 or 91?

loochy
09-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Damn, I forgot about that. What year did that happen? 90 or 91?

I want to say 90. I don't remember too clearly because I was a 9 year old kid at the time so it all didn't sink in properly.

jimidollar
09-10-2015, 03:26 PM
If KC Tattoo's post is correct then it would be 90. Our D got torched that day.

WilliamTheIrish
09-10-2015, 03:35 PM
He could play fake.

After that, he was just another in a long line of QB's who couldn't get the job done.

The face he made taking snaps with that pin in finger was hilarious.

WilliamTheIrish
09-10-2015, 03:36 PM
I was at the Houston Oilers game when Steve DeBerg hit his pinky on an Oilers helmet and broked his pinky and they showed it on the jumbo tron a bunch of times.

That was the same game Warren Moon passed for over 500yards & making a new passing record with cold November rain at least it was cold and misty with a fog I remember.

So we had Steve DeBerg with big manly hands then we had Dave Krieg with girly small hands that had the most fumbles in NFL history for quarterbacks. Dammit Carl :cuss:

Stan Petrie and Jayice Pearson. Two of the worst CB's Marty put on the field. Haywood Jeffires went crazy in that game.

Mojo Jojo
09-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Stan Petrie and Jayice Pearson. Two of the worst CB's Marty put on the field. Haywood Jeffires went crazy in that game.
Wrong...Ross and Lewis were the Chiefs CB's in that game in '90.
That '90 team was maybe the best bet to win it all. Came down to a phantom holding call and a typical Nick Lowery miss with an important game on the line.

Chromatic
09-10-2015, 04:19 PM

Without Krieg, we don't win that playoff game against Pittsburgh in 1993. He stepped in when Montana got the wind knocked out of him and threw a great TD pass to Birden.

Montana sucked pretty bad in the first half due to him wearing gloves and not being used to the cold.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2015, 04:59 PM
He could play fake.

After that, he was just another in a long line of QB's who couldn't get the job done.

The face he made taking snaps with that pin in finger was hilarious.

DeBerg was 85 years old when he played for the Chiefs

WilliamTheIrish
09-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Wrong...Ross and Lewis were the Chiefs CB's in that game in '90.
That '90 team was maybe the best bet to win it all. Came down to a phantom holding call and a typical Nick Lowery miss with an important game on the line.

The Olilers ran a five WR set and Petrie/Pearson got beaten like drums all day. The the three longest plays of the game came against those CB's.

WilliamTheIrish
09-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Without Krieg, we don't win that playoff game against Pittsburgh in 1993. He stepped in when Montana got the wind knocked out of him and threw a great TD pass to Birden.

Montana sucked pretty bad in the first half due to him wearing gloves and not being used to the cold.

Totally forgot about that.

WilliamTheIrish
09-10-2015, 05:22 PM
DeBerg was 85 years old when he played for the Chiefs

Perfect true fan QB. "He tries hard"!!

fan4ever
09-10-2015, 05:26 PM
One of the best play-action QBs I ever saw.

I don't remember a time where the cameramen were fooled as often as when Deberg was QB...it was annoying as hell.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2015, 05:32 PM
How very un-exciting.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2015, 05:32 PM
I don't remember a time where the cameramen were fooled as often as when Deberg was QB...it was annoying as hell.

It's kind of a lost art. most QBs today are not nearly as skilled and deceptive with it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-10-2015, 05:39 PM
This is another in a season-long series on the Kansas City Chiefs search for a franchise quarterback. It appears weekly on Thursdays throughout the 2015 season.

SEE ALL PAST CHAPTERS HERE

I'd really like a crack at writing this history for the Chiefs.

displacedinMN
09-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Real or me dreaming?

The day Deberg hurt his finger. Wasn't there a big huddle on the field. They snapped it back into place ON THE FIELD!!! He throws his head back in pain then goes back to playing.

He said he was immune to pain and wasn't really bothered by the incident.

WilliamTheIrish
09-10-2015, 06:03 PM
Real or me dreaming?

The day Deberg hurt his finger. Wasn't there a big huddle on the field. They snapped it back into place ON THE FIELD!!! He throws his head back in pain then goes back to playing.

The only thing he was immune to was being a good QB.

loochy
09-10-2015, 06:14 PM
Real or me dreaming?

No, that was Chuck Norris in a scene from Walker: Texas Ranger

MahiMike
09-10-2015, 06:15 PM
I still remember that big pin sticking out of his pinky. I cringed every time he handed off to Okoye.

Dave Lane
09-10-2015, 11:17 PM
Sounds like an Alex Smith thread to me.

ChiefsCountry
09-11-2015, 07:21 AM
Sounds like an Alex Smith thread to me.

Steve DeBerg was the original Alex Smith.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-11-2015, 07:25 AM
Steve DeBerg was the original Alex Smith.

That is a MARVELOUS achievement.

Three7s
09-11-2015, 07:35 AM
Deberg was good at play-action, but that's all. He was a border-line average QB at best.

Simply Red
09-11-2015, 07:56 AM

:clap:

duncan_idaho
09-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Wait... the Chiefs' website is doing a series on the Chiefs' "search" for a franchise QB?

Don't you actually have to, you know, LOOK for something to say you're searching for it?

Not exactly the thing the Chiefs should be highlighting.

Reerun_KC
09-11-2015, 08:02 AM
Ol Marty... Always a day late and a dollar short when it came to coaching in the NFL...

Reerun_KC
09-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Wait... the Chiefs' website is doing a series on the Chiefs' "search" for a franchise QB?

Don't you actually have to, you know, LOOK for something to say you're searching for it?

One would think, but you cant have something the fanbase is very adamant about not wanting...

No need to drive a wedge between the franchise and season ticket holders.

Lzen
09-11-2015, 08:19 AM
The Olilers ran a five WR set and Petrie/Pearson got beaten like drums all day. The the three longest plays of the game came against those CB's.

I thought the run and shoot was mainly 4 WRs and 1 RB with maybe the occasional 5 wides...???

Reerun_KC
09-11-2015, 08:22 AM
I thought the run and shoot was mainly 4 WRs and 1 RB with maybe the occasional 5 wides...???It was, but then again you were going against one of the most stubborn coaches in the history of the NFL...

Marty was easy to beat if you were a forward thinking and creative football coach.

Yeah he won his share of regular season games, but he was quickly separated from the men when it mattered the most.

ChiefsCountry
09-11-2015, 10:29 AM

They better just do a bunch of fluff pieces on Len Dawson and Joe Montana.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-11-2015, 05:24 PM

Which is why I commented that I would enjoy tackling this subject.

It would play something like this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H9L4UrVm8Cg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now, the real questions:

Would DeBreg be an improvement over Smith, both at the same age and stage in their careers as Smith is now?

Discuss.

And hate, if necessary.:evil: