PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: Alex Smith is out of excuses, and he needs to deliver his best season

Pages : [1] 2

DaFace
09-11-2015, 01:39 PM
Though I know this thread will undoubtedly turn into yet another Alex Smith sucks bitch fest, I thought this was a well-thought-out and reasonable take on the entire Alex Smith situation.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article34916460.html#storylink=cpy

Alex Smith is out of excuses, and he needs to deliver the best season of his career
BY SAM MELLINGER
smellinger@kcstar.com

Alex Smith can thank the position he plays and the Royals’ run to last year’s World Series, because by now there is no question that his name is the easiest way to start an argument in Kansas City.

Smith is the Chiefs’ quarterback, and three years into his time here, he understands the baggage that comes with that title. He is the eighth backup from somewhere else to start for the Chiefs in the 37 years since they won a game with a quarterback they drafted. He is, depending on how you do the math, the sixth primary quarterback in the 21 years since the Chiefs won a game in the playoffs.

There are those of us who think Smith is a good quarterback. Not great, mind you, but smart and talented in ways that can be accentuated with the right pieces around him.

And there are those of you who think Smith is a noodle-armed, overly risk-averse anvil with a fittingly dull name — a dud at the most important position in American sports.

Those of us on Team Alex like to talk nuance, and bring up the fact that he was drafted by the NFL’s equivalent of the 2005 Royals, a franchise that gave him six coordinators and a botched shoulder surgery in seven years. To us, last year with the Chiefs, Smith showed only that it’s hard to play quarterback when the offensive line often resembles a grade-school game of red rover.

Those of you on the other side are beyond sick of all of that, wondering what excuses we’ll come up with now that Smith is surrounded by a dynamic set of playmakers, an improved (if still suspect) line, and (finally) the same coaches for a third straight year.

And, well … on that point we have no comeback. This is an important year for Smith, and for those of us who believe he has the goods.

If Smith does not have the best year of his career, something has gone wrong. If Smith does not have the best year of his career, and Jeremy Maclin has not suffered an injury and the offensive line is better than a year ago, then something has gone wrong with Smith.

A huge chunk of the Chiefs’ success depends on that not happening.

A huge chunk of their success depends on Smith proving he is more than a guy good enough to almost win with.

-----

Alex Smith is about to have the best of his 10 seasons in the NFL because, finally, the context is right.

He should’ve never been the No. 1 pick in the 2005 draft. We know that now, and not just because Aaron Rodgers was the second quarterback taken. Smith wasn’t ready. Wasn’t particularly close to ready.

He wasn’t even 21 years old when the 49ers gave him the keys to their disoriented franchise. More reporters covered his first NFL practice than all but his last college game, and the experience spooked him. He admits that now. Says it took years — four, five, maybe more — to get past.

That’s on him. This is where the blame game heats up, so that’s important to say. Smith is not in a position to complain here. He is 31 years old and has been paid well over $60 million during a career that has so far included a 1-2 playoff record. The 49ers should’ve given Smith more support, but he should’ve been better, too.

There have been successes and failures, and he owns the quarterback’s responsibility for both. But he has never been in a position this teed up for success. Not even those last few seasons in San Francisco, when he came within a freak special-teams mistake of the Super Bowl one year and the next season was benched after returning from a concussion despite leading the league in completion percentage.

In Smith’s first five seasons in San Francisco, he needed a competent organization. In his last two seasons there, he needed one that believed in him.

Here, finally, he has both.

This is why some of us believe he is about to have the best season of his career.

-----

Smith’s strengths are mostly subtle and widely misunderstood. He brings an element of certainty in a game defined by chaos. His quick feet, good instincts on when to break the pocket, and knack for avoiding the hardest collisions are particularly helpful as the Chiefs try to sort out the offensive line.

Game manager has become an overused and somewhat ambiguous term in football, but part of what makes evaluating Smith difficult is that there are not a lot of plays on either extreme. For the most part, he does not throw the boneheaded interception. For the most part, he does not create touchdowns from his own awesomeness. He is more Muzak than Metallica.

But the strengths are there, and not just in the sense that — particularly with Jamaal Charles, Travis Kelce, Jeremy Maclin and a potentially great defense — avoiding mistakes is a terrific thing.

There was a play last year in Arizona, where Smith ran away from a sack, creating extra time, and threw on the run into a window that hadn’t yet opened. The play probably should’ve been a 6-yard loss. It was a 29-yard gain. It was a terrific play, brilliantly executed, and symbolic in its subtlety.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The window does not exist when Smith makes this pass. <a href="http://t.co/mAO8R2l9uH">pic.twitter.com/mAO8R2l9uH</a></p>&mdash; KC Star Sports GIFs (@KCStarGifs) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCStarGifs/status/642060304164098048">September 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
But Smith’s biggest strength is accuracy. At the wonderful Pro Football Focus, they calculate accuracy percentage by taking away drops, spikes, and throw-aways. In their calculations, Smith was at 79.8 percent last season, behind only Drew Brees.

Now, some of that, yes, is a lack of downfield passing. No quarterback threw deep less often than Smith last year. It is an acknowledged point of improvement, both by Smith and Reid.

This is where those of us who believe in Smith are on the hook this year. Because a large part of believing in Smith means believing that his hesitancy to throw deep is at least as much about what he’s been surrounded by.

It’s not just about the offensive line — you need time to throw deep. It’s also about the receivers. Smith has not had receivers capable of getting open down the field, or receivers he fully trusts.

It’s interesting that when Jason Avant signed with the Chiefs late last season, Smith seemed to trust him immediately. Avant is a respected veteran, but he was also cut by the Panthers and turned 32 this year. Still, Smith took chances with Avant that he had not taken before.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A risky deep ball, because Smith trusts the guy he&#39;s throwing to. <a href="http://t.co/lSiuBaN5at">pic.twitter.com/lSiuBaN5at</a></p>&mdash; KC Star Sports GIFs (@KCStarGifs) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCStarGifs/status/642060650764595200">September 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
There are reasons to believe that Maclin can have a much bigger impact. Training camp, practices, and preseason games have been full of examples of Smith focusing on Maclin. Smith seems willing to make throws to Maclin that he hasn’t made to anyone in Kansas City.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here&#39;s a touchdown that didn&#39;t exist last year, because Smith didn&#39;t have a receiver good enough to make this play. <a href="http://t.co/6o8TqyoWxV">pic.twitter.com/6o8TqyoWxV</a></p>&mdash; KC Star Sports GIFs (@KCStarGifs) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCStarGifs/status/642061052268560384">September 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
This is just practice and practice games, of course, so the consequences of failure are negligible. But common sense lines up with what we’ve seen.

Smith is conservative by nature, and he’s not all of the sudden turning into Brett Favre. But he doesn’t need to. The Chiefs don’t want that. They just need him to be willing to gamble a little more knowing he has better cards and a better understanding of what’s around him than at any point in his career.

Which is why this has to be the year.

-----

One of the problems with the argument about Alex Smith is that, like most arguments in politics and marriage, we all tend to cherry pick points without really listening to the other side.

But one of the tenets of Team Alex is a recognition of the reality that he is the best the Chiefs can do. He is not Aaron Rodgers, but he is not Matt Cassel, either. If the Chiefs had the first pick in 2012, instead of 2013, Smith would be somewhere else and Kansas City would be obsessed with Andrew Luck.

But, like a B student who has to study a little harder on the SAT, teams without that top-tier franchise quarterback have to work a little harder on the rest of the roster. In that way, Smith is in the best position of his career.

Assuming the offensive line is improved, there is more than enough around Smith for him to shake the notion that he is holding back the bigger cause. Those of us on his side of Kansas City’s biggest sports debate are counting on that.

If it doesn’t happen this year, we’re all out of excuses.

Stewie
09-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Does Alex often make excuses? I don't remember him throwing players under the bus and he's been forthright about his own mistakes.

DaFace
09-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Does Alex often make excuses? I don't remember him throwing players under the bus and he's been forthright about his own mistakes.

The headline makes me wonder if an editor got a hold of it. The article really focuses more on people making excuses FOR Alex rather than him making excuses for himself.

Marcellus
09-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Excellent article and spot on. If Smith doesn't perform this year it's time to move on.

I expect him to have a very good year though.

Red Beans
09-11-2015, 01:46 PM
I like that Mellongina called the Chiefs a capable organization. That gives me the warm fuzzies...

RunKC
09-11-2015, 01:47 PM
I agree. He has a very nice trio of weapons at WR, TE and RB, has extra speed players and this OL should be decent.

If he flops than Murray or a high draft pick should take over

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2015, 01:50 PM
I really like that 1st pass. There is obviously a great deal of trust there. He's just throwing to a spot and trusting the receiver gets there.

"Throwing the receiver open"? That's my interpretation of it, anyway.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Hammock Parties
09-11-2015, 01:54 PM
good instincts on when to break the pocket

LMAO

What fucking games has this guy been watching?

I've seen Alex Smith run out of more clean pockets than Matt Cassel.

wazu
09-11-2015, 02:05 PM
It's Week 1. I'll jump on the optimism train for a bit and see what happens. As much as I wish the Chiefs would draft and develop a franchise QB, the fact is they have a very good team built without one right now. If Alex takes a step/leap forward then the next several years could be a lot of fun.

KCUnited
09-11-2015, 02:10 PM
I guess I'm not aware of a botched shoulder surgery. What's that about?

Buehler445
09-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Good article. Mellinger has been putting out some decent pieces lately.

Although, it is pretty obvious he reads the planet ROFL

DaFace
09-11-2015, 02:20 PM

Not sure, though I found this:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article3450988.html

In 2007, Smith’s third NFL season, he suffered a separated shoulder and three torn ligaments in the first series of a game against Seattle. Smith would miss two games, start three games and miss the final six games before undergoing surgery which cost him the entire 2008 season.

Tough to say what was "botched," but that definitely seems odd to be out for an entire season due to a shoulder injury.

Titty Meat
09-11-2015, 02:21 PM
Mellinger is a pompous douche IRL

Lzen
09-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Good article. Yes, assuming the oline holds up okay and there are no major injuries to key players, Smith should have his best season. And if he doesn't then the naysayers will most likely be right. I think he is gonna have a great year. Remember, he was playing very well down the stretch in 2013. I anticipate him getting back to that form. :thumb:

ptlyon
09-11-2015, 02:29 PM
I vote anvil

duncan_idaho
09-11-2015, 02:30 PM
I hope Alex Smith takes a big step forward and has his best season.

I fear he will be the same old Alex Smith - up-and-down. Alternating between teasing the ability to make that leap, and frustrating with his unwillingness to slide in the pocket or consistently challenge the intermediate and deep zones of the defense.

Pablo
09-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Shit or get off the pot. Nice article.

19now11
09-11-2015, 02:42 PM

he seperated his shoulder and had to have surgery. once he recovered he went back in but was playing in pain. nolan publicly called him a pussy and benched him. come to find out the surgen somehow left a wire in there that sawed back through the bone while he was trying to play. another surgery was needed and alex lost some zip on his ball. on a side note...is it me or is this server lag out alot?

Molitoth
09-11-2015, 02:59 PM
The window does not exist when Smith makes this pass. pic.twitter.com/mAO8R2l9uH

Yeah, that is nice.... guess what? Good QB's make that pass at least once a game... not 1 highlight per season.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Yeah, that is nice.... guess what? Good QB's make that pass at least once a game... not 1 highlight per season.

We scored 14 points in that game...but good on Alex for that pass.

DJ's left nut
09-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Mellinger is right.

It's shit or get off the pot time for Smith. If this isn't an 11+ win football team this year, then they need to seriously look at the draft for the possibility of an escape plan in 2017 (and really, he could have a good season and it is still a good idea to look at a succession plan for when they need to pay for Poe and Kelce).

They could even consider trading Smith in 2016 if the right deal came along but if they're looking to move him, it stands to reason his season wasn't one that would serve to create much trade value for him. Ultimately the acceleration of his signing bonus onto our cap would hurt, but not be crippling. However, his salary for 2016 is guaranteed so the only way to move on would be by trade, taking us off the hook for the guaranteed salary.

That said, I still think he has a career year.

Rivermike87
09-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Mellinger is right.

It's shit or get off the pot time for Smith. If this isn't an 11+ win football team this year, then they need to seriously look at the draft for the possibility of an escape plan in 2017 (and really, he could have a good season and it is still a good idea to look at a succession plan for when they need to pay for Poe and Kelce).

They could even consider trading Smith in 2016 if the right deal came along but if they're looking to move him, it stands to reason his season wasn't one that would serve to create much trade value for him. Ultimately the acceleration of his signing bonus onto our cap would hurt, but not be crippling. However, his salary for 2016 is guaranteed so the only way to move on would be by trade, taking us off the hook for the guaranteed salary.

So 11+ wins and he gets to stay? Sounds kind of unfair don't you think? However I could definitely see them win that many games. Considering what we've seen from the past from this team, they are only getting better and better. Being a 9-7 team last year wth what they had to go through only strengthens my optimism for this year. 11-5 sounds bout right to me. Don't think I have ever seen the Chiefs have a complete team like this

jonzie04
09-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Mellinger is right.

Agree with everything here.

DJ's left nut
09-11-2015, 03:43 PM
So 11+ wins and he gets to stay? Sounds kind of unfair don't you think? However I could definitely see them win that many games. Considering what we've seen from the past from this team, they are only getting better and better. Being a 9-7 team last year wth what they had to go through only strengthens my optimism for this year. 11-5 sounds bout right to me. Don't think I have ever seen the Chiefs have a complete team like this

My position on Alex Smith has always been clear - he makes your team exactly as good as it is.

He's not Aaron Rodgers, who makes it better. He's not Matt Cassel, who makes it worse.

If you took the Chiefs and every other team in the league, subtracted the quarterbacks and were asked to rank order them, is there any argument at all that the Chiefs are at least a top 5 team by that metric? I don't think so - the talent on this team is immense.

You're right, I could be being unfair, but my general perception of the NFL 'bell curve' is that every year there 4-5 teams that win 12+ games and another 2-3 that win 11.

So if I'm right and Alex Smith truly is a guy who makes your team exactly as good as it is and I believe that the Chiefs are a top 5 team quarterback excluded, then 11 wins should be a fair expectation.

By season's end it's possible he could have played well and we end up at 10 wins; I'd still deal with that. But anything less has to be seen as an unqualified failure for Alex Smith and a definite sign that he's not a quarterback that can take this team anywhere meaningful.

Buehler445
09-11-2015, 03:59 PM
My position on Alex Smith has always been clear - he makes your team exactly as good as it is.

He's not Aaron Rodgers, who makes it better. He's not Matt Cassel, who makes it worse.

If you took the Chiefs and every other team in the league, subtracted the quarterbacks and were asked to rank order them, is there any argument at all that the Chiefs are at least a top 5 team by that metric? I don't think so - the talent on this team is immense.

You're right, I could be being unfair, but my general perception of the NFL 'bell curve' is that every year there 4-5 teams that win 12+ games and another 2-3 that win 11.

So if I'm right and Alex Smith truly is a guy who makes your team exactly as good as it is and I believe that the Chiefs are a top 5 team quarterback excluded, then 11 wins should be a fair expectation.

By season's end it's possible he could have played well and we end up at 10 wins; I'd still deal with that. But anything less has to be seen as an unqualified failure for Alex Smith and a definite sign that he's not a quarterback that can take this team anywhere meaningful.

I'm not throwing stones, I legitimately want to know because I respect your opinion, but where are you at on injuries?

Jamaal Charles, Justin Houston, a myriad of other dudes missing serious time changes the equation significantly. Worst case scenario, Charles goes down, misses 8 games, and the narrative is that Alex didn't have his best weapon. Where does your evaluation of him stand then?

chiefzilla1501
09-11-2015, 04:07 PM
I'm not throwing stones, I legitimately want to know because I respect your opinion, but where are you at on injuries?

Jamaal Charles, Justin Houston, a myriad of other dudes missing serious time changes the equation significantly. Worst case scenario, Charles goes down, misses 8 games, and the narrative is that Alex didn't have his best weapon. Where does your evaluation of him stand then?

On the other side, is 11+ wins always good enough? It depends on what you define as a good season. Alex haters are going to be ridiculously unreasonable. Alex homers are going to be ridiculously apologetic.

I don't care about winning games if they're done the wrong way. Last 2 years are funny examples. In 2013, we won 9 games despite Alex (easy schedule, defense bailed him out most games) yet went 2-5 in games where Alex played some of the best football in his Chiefs' career but the D laid a big goose egg. In 2014, he was a huge reason for the Chiefs going 7-1 during their hot streak, but was also a huge reason for the Chiefs going 1-5 the other miserable stretch.

My criteria for Alex has always been simple... if you're going to manage games, you better convert third downs and close games. If you open up the offense, you have a lot more leniency on those 2 points.

O.city
09-11-2015, 04:11 PM
There's no wrong way to win games. Just win.

jonzie04
09-11-2015, 04:13 PM

If that was the case, Denver would be trotting out Tim Tebow on Sunday, and The Patriots would have let Brady walk in 2008 when they won all those games with Matt Cassel.

chiefzilla1501
09-11-2015, 04:14 PM

If the winning isn't sustainable, then it's the wrong way to win. 2013 was a great example of that. The defense put up an all-world performance and then stopped doing it. Alex Smith then became a different QB.

The question I keep asking is, why does Alex wait or his defense to suck to step up as a QB? If we're treating this as a "put up or shut up" year for Alex, I don't consider it success if we're winning too many games the wrong way. That is, games where we shit the bed on third downs and in a close game, our offense keeps going 3 and out in the 4th quarter and relies on our defense to make stop after stop. Even if we win games that way, that doesn't make me at all confident that Smith is the right QB.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2015, 04:14 PM
3400 yards, 23 TDs and 11 picks

Why Not?
09-11-2015, 04:17 PM

I'm not speaking for DJ'sLN here, but my opinion would be that the narrative on Alex wouldn't change at all. Sure, the win total would, but not his ability to win or lose more games. Since, as far as I know, there's not a stat like WAR for football, let's say Jamaal is worth 4 wins(the Chiefs will win 4 games with him that they lose with Davis or West as the bell cow). So if we're using 11 wins as our base, let's say with JC out(please no, not again), the Chiefs are a 7 win team. I think the point he is making is that Alex will go out and win you those 7 games. He won't win 10, he won't win 5. He'll keep the needle right in the middle.

O.city
09-11-2015, 04:18 PM
If the winning isn't sustainable, then it's the wrong way to win. 2013 was a great example of that. The defense put up an all-world performance and then stopped doing it. Alex Smith then became a different QB.

The question I keep asking is, why does Alex wait or his defense to suck to step up as a QB? If we're treating this as a "put up or shut up" year for Alex, I don't consider it success if we're winning too many games the wrong way. That is, games where we shit the bed on third downs and in a close game, our offense keeps going 3 and out in the 4th quarter and relies on our defense to make stop after stop. Even if we win games that way, that doesn't make me at all confident that Smith is the right QB.

I dont really care much about winning pretty, but the offense has to be better.

jonzie04
09-11-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm guessing 4000, 27, 14 for Alex this season.

He basically went for 3500 the past two seasons if you add in his per game average and account for the 2 games he missed. Thats around 30 more yards per game. I think Maclin, Dat, and Wilson will go a long ways in getting him that simply through YAC. I think Alex is a little more aggressive this year and it leads to a little more touchdowns, but a lot more picks.

BossChief
09-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Counting rushing yards, I see him having a 3800-4000 yard season....7.6ypa...68%comp...29tds (combined rushing and passing)...9ints

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2015, 04:34 PM
10,000/60/0

Suck it, haters! :D

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Seriously: 3800/25/8

Mav
09-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Not sure, though I found this:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article3450988.html

Tough to say what was "botched," but that definitely seems odd to be out for an entire season due to a shoulder injury.

What makes it botched is Alex was legit hurt. Mike Nolan called him out for not being tough so Alex went back out destroyed his shoulder and missed all of 2008 because mile Nolan is a walking dick wad.

Admittedly I left out the wire in his shoulder. Whoops.

BossChief
09-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Also, it's quite nice hearing an extraordinary writer bringing up points that I've been harping about since we signed Maclin.

It's all about trust with Alex.

For him to target you, you need to

1) be trusted to know your job/ where to line up
2) be trusted to run routes effective enough to gain separation
3) be trusted enough to be on the same page with him on route adjustments
4) be trusted enough to make the catch consistently and make the play
5) be trusted that you're not going to hang Alex out to dry after he gets you the ball.

Seriously, it's all about trust for the guy.

That's why Albert Wilson, Jason Avant and Deanthony Thomas had no problem getting targets during the last month of the season. Alex trusted them.

I wish the search function worked so I could look for the thread I was going on about trusting his receivers, there was some gold in that thread/those threads...it seems Sam read them and has agreed with them and has done an amazing job expanding on those thoughts and hit it out of the park with this article.

Chiefs4TheWin
09-11-2015, 04:50 PM
Alex Smith is not the greatest QB to walk the earth that's for sure, but I never heard him make an excuse for himself ever. I will give him that.

Sandy Vagina
09-11-2015, 05:09 PM
This is as far as I needed to read.

If Smith does not have the best year of his career, and Jeremy Maclin has not suffered an injury and the offensive line is better than a year ago, then something has gone wrong with Smith.

Yep.

RobBlake
09-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Alex Smith is not the greatest QB to walk the earth that's for sure, but I never heard him make an excuse for himself ever. I will give him that.

he played for a franchise that once belittled him, his own coach called him a pussy in front of his peers, messed up his throwing arm, etc and still decided to re-sign with them because he wanted to win. The guy doesn't make excuses.

mdchiefsfan
09-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Good article. Mellinger has been putting out some decent pieces lately.

Although, it is pretty obvious he reads the planet ROFL

Exactly what I was thinking: I've read this somewhere before. :hmmm:

temper11
09-11-2015, 05:22 PM
he played for a franchise that once belittled him, his own coach called him a pussy in front of his peers, messed up his throwing arm, etc and still decided to re-sign with them because he wanted to win. The guy doesn't make excuses.

This. One of the main reason why I continue to follow his career - I want to see him rewarded for being class.

temper11
09-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Good luck all this weekend. I hope you are all here celebrating a Chiefs win on Monday.

mdchiefsfan
09-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Seriously: 3800/25/8

I'm thinking around 3,500 yards; I agree with 25/8.

ViperVisor
09-11-2015, 05:39 PM
511/332 65% 3800 23-9

http://thefakefootball.com/2015-fantasy-football-outlook-kansas-city-chiefs/

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Counting rushing yards, I see him having a 3800-4000 yard season....7.6ypa...68%comp...29tds (combined rushing and passing)...9ints

Rush yards definitely get overlooked when accounting for QB production. He gave us 3750 total yards in his first season so being north of 4000 is not out of the question.

the Talking Can
09-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Also, it's quite nice hearing an extraordinary writer bringing up points that I've been harping about since we signed Maclin.

It's all about trust with Alex.

For him to target you, you need to

1) be trusted to know your job/ where to line up
2) be trusted to run routes effective enough to gain separation
3) be trusted enough to be on the same page with him on route adjustments
4) be trusted enough to make the catch consistently and make the play
5) be trusted that you're not going to hang Alex out to dry after he gets you the ball.

Seriously, it's all about trust for the guy.

That's why Albert Wilson, Jason Avant and Deanthony Thomas had no problem getting targets during the last month of the season. Alex trusted them.

I wish the search function worked so I could look for the thread I was going on about trusting his receivers, there was some gold in that thread/those threads...it seems Sam read them and has agreed with them and has done an amazing job expanding on those thoughts and hit it out of the park with this article.

So he's gay? Or is that The View's hot football take?

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-11-2015, 05:48 PM

And he put up his own money to do hold mini-camps during the lockout in the summer that harbaugh was entering as HC. He's a class act.

In the end, the organization turned his back on him and look at them now ROFL

CoMoChief
09-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Should have sucked for Luck. If I was Pioli I would have made that happen.

Mr. Laz
09-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Still a few excuses around for Alex Smith, but they are disappearing fast.

barring injuries or an Oline that's sucks, Smith needs to be significantly better this year

i'm still not convinced that the Oline is going to be solid, but we'll see

FringeNC
09-11-2015, 06:12 PM
As I've argued before...name your OL ranking for the Chiefs. Doesn't matter what it is (unless it is #1), the Chiefs overall offense will be ranked quite a bit higher than than the O-line ranking. If that indeed turns out to be true, in what universe is QB the problem? And screw all the Charles noise; RBs don't matter very much in today's NFL.

The common view on here is that unless a QB is a first ballot HOFer, he is garbage and should be cut.

mdchiefsfan
09-11-2015, 06:20 PM

Just think, had we gotten Luck in 2012, Pioli would still be our GM most likely.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2015, 06:22 PM
Chase Daniel waiting in the wings to ascend to his 'QBoTF' role

Easy 6
09-11-2015, 06:36 PM
I agree with Sam on every point, he's done a nice job of summing things up for the people who maybe don't follow things as closely as the average Planeteer.

He's done some nice work lately, must be going back and looking at his old cohort Babbs pieces or something... cant think of a worthy comparison since I haven't followed basketball since forever, but he's like a very solid, if unspectacular point guard... he doesn't create very often, but he's a great distributor.

And yes, he's out of excuses... I said that at the end of last year, long before the 5 star offseason we had.

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2015, 07:01 PM

Would have been nice, but players, coaches and GMs just don't think the way fans do.

You can't spend all offseason preaching one thing and then reverse course for hope in acquiring one player.

Saccopoo
09-11-2015, 07:05 PM

http://cdn.funnyhub.com/2015/jan/facepalm/facepalm01.gif

Brock
09-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Would have been nice, but players, coaches and GMs just don't think the way fans do.

You can't spend all offseason preaching one thing and then reverse course for hope in acquiring one player.

It worked for indianapolis

ChiefsCountry
09-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Chiefs tried to suck but we won games with fucking Palko starting. That's Chiefs football for you.

milkman
09-11-2015, 07:41 PM
As I've argued before...name your OL ranking for the Chiefs. Doesn't matter what it is (unless it is #1), the Chiefs overall offense will be ranked quite a bit higher than than the O-line ranking. If that indeed turns out to be true, in what universe is QB the problem? And screw all the Charles noise; RBs don't matter very much in today's NFL.

The common view on here is that unless a QB is a first ballot HOFer, he is garbage and should be cut.

Every SB winning QB has been supported by an effective running game.

mcaj22
09-11-2015, 07:42 PM
10th year for a good quarterback is always the year they go for their first 4,000 yard season.

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2015, 07:58 PM
It worked for indianapolis

So, Peyton faked that injury?

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2015, 08:03 PM
10th year for a good quarterback is always the year they go for their first 4,000 yard season.

You mean like John Elway? :)

BossChief
09-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Guess who?

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Guess who?

Steve Young

FringeNC
09-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Every SB winning QB has been supported by an effective running game.

Yes but what is the marginal contribution of HOF runner over a league average runner?

milkman
09-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Guess who?

Com'on Boss.

BossChief
09-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Steve Young

Not saying Alex is the next young, but it's an example of a guy that didnt really get going till he was 31 years old.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-11-2015, 08:29 PM
I don't believe Sam has had the pleasure of meeting the Alexsexual Transplant Association.

milkman
09-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Yes but what is the marginal contribution of HOF runner over a league average runner?

Peyton Manning won his only SB when Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes stepped and produced in the post season.

Aaron Rodgers won his when James Starks produced in the post season.

Marshawn Lynch

LeGarrette Blount

It isn't about HoFers.

It's about post season production, and Jamaal Charles gives the best chance at that production.

cdcox
09-11-2015, 08:36 PM

I'm very optimistic about the Chiefs season. I haven't been this confident since 2003 and 2004 (misplaced, it turned out). The roster is very solid.

But why are we making contingencies for Smith? The defense lost DJ, DeVito, and Berry last year. Guess what? They were still good. No one is talking about Rogers having a bad season because Jordy Nelson is out for the season. No one ever has to make excuses for winners.

He just needs to step up and do it. Period.

Sandy Vagina
09-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Peyton Manning won his only SB when Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes stepped and produced in the post season.

Aaron Rodgers won his when James Starks produced in the post season.

Marshawn Lynch

LeGarrette Blount

It isn't about HoFers.

It's about post season production, and Jamaal Charles gives the best chance at that production.

To be fair, Aaron did it once... with 2 multi-Pro Bowlers at WR.. and by putting up very Alex-like numbers... and having a top 5 defense.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Steve Young

Can we use the Steve Young comparison for every QB that's under the age of 30 and hasn't quite arrived yet?

If so, great! I'm expecting awesome things from Brian Hoyer this season! He's the next Steve Young! And it all starts Sunday!

O.city
09-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Boss, I owe you a game bro from the Denver game. What are you thinking this year?

milkman
09-11-2015, 08:44 PM
To be fair, Aaron did it once... with 2 multi-Pro Bowlers at WR.. and by putting up very Alex-like numbers... and having a top 5 defense.

To be fair about what?

I am talking about SB QBs being supported by an effective running game.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-11-2015, 08:45 PM

Please do not compare Rodgers to Smith.

Like, ever.

Sandy Vagina
09-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Please do not compare Rodgers to Smith.

Like, ever.

The numbers speak for themselves for AR's SB year. Otherwise, and out of that context, I wouldn't compare them. One of them was silver-spooned to greatness. The other, held back by incompetent teams around him.

Oh, and GFY not so gently... :thumb:

ThaVirus
09-11-2015, 08:48 PM
To be fair about what?

It's Sandy Cheeks so I'm going to take a wild stab at it... Alex Smith.

milkman
09-11-2015, 08:50 PM
The numbers speak for themselves for AR's SB year. Otherwise, and out of that context, I wouldn't compare them. One of them was silver-spooned to greatness. The other, held back by incompetent teams around him.

I missed the near 4000 yard season that Alex Smith put up.

BossChief
09-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Boss, I owe you a game bro from the Denver game. What are you thinking this year?

We've been talking about going to the Steelers game or the Raiders game.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-11-2015, 08:54 PM

The guts and Super Bowl ring Rodgers possesses speak too, they say:

"Sandy Cheeks, shut the fuck up".

ThaVirus
09-11-2015, 08:54 PM

What are you talking about? Rodgers played one bad game in that 2010 Super Bowl run. Every other game was a multi-TD, no INT effort.

O.city
09-11-2015, 08:55 PM
We've been talking about going to the Steelers game or the Raiders game.

I'm thinking steelers game too.

We're contemplating heading to green bay, but damn, I dunno about dropping that coin.

Sandy Vagina
09-11-2015, 08:55 PM

apparently missed the TWO Pro Bowl wideouts he was pitching to also.

.. original point taken though. (being not supported by a grand run game.. but just showing that other Pro Bowl factors can compensate... as well as AR being coddled into greatness )

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Poor Alex, he's just been treated so badly by the NFL.

milkman
09-11-2015, 08:57 PM
apparently missed the TWO Pro Bowl wideouts he was pitching to also.

.. original point taken though. (being not supported by a grand run game.. but just showing that other Pro Bowl factors can compensate... as well as AR being coddled into greatness )

I have no idea what your useless dumb ass is talking about.

Sandy Vagina
09-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Poor Alex, he's just been treated so badly by the NFL.

Meh.. at least the money's been good. Hmmmm.... money. :)

Sandy Vagina
09-11-2015, 08:58 PM
I have no idea what your useless dumb ass is talking about.

Sounds good. Carry on then. :thumb:

cdcox
09-11-2015, 09:00 PM

Not to mention 8.4 YPA or 28 TDs. Total lack of credibility, honesty and objectivity.

BossChief
09-11-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm thinking steelers game too.

We're contemplating heading to green bay, but damn, I dunno about dropping that coin.

I'm in the same boat with the GB game. I'd love to go, for the life experience and all, but all in all I'm not sure we can justify the expense with other things we want to do this year.

The Steelers game would be great, especially being I think it's a probable win...it's at the time we can drive back and not disrupt the kids school and it should be a great atmosphere.

BlackOp
09-11-2015, 09:26 PM
I agree with this article 100%. This is year 3...they've got him the perfect #1 WR and starting TE. Top 5 defense. I've seen Smith play excellent in big games...he has the ability. If he doesn't put it all together this season...then there are no excuses left.

Dorsey is pragmatic enough to know exactly what's going on...It's why they have 4 QBs.

okcchief
09-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Totally agree with this narrative. If Alex Smith plays well this year then bravo. If he plays substandard I don't want to hear the excuses. Make decisions and play with confidence. You have a lot of play makers so trust them? Start playing to fucking win!

BossChief
09-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Not to mention 8.4 YPA or 28 TDs. Total lack of credibility, honesty and objectivity.

Just for the sake of argument, Alex had 8ypa and was on pace for 26tds in 2012 while leading the NFL in comp %.

cdcox
09-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Just for the sake of argument, Alex had 8ypa and was on pace for 26tds in 2012 while leading the NFL in comp %.

Any way you slice it, Rogers numbers in 2010 were better than anything Smith ever put up even in his best year. That is not Alex-like would be typical Alex numbers.

Alex-like numbers are 3000 yards, 6.6 YPA, and fewer than 20 TDs.

I expect >4000 yards, 8 YPA and 28 TDs this year. That is a reasonable expectation given his situation.

ThaVirus
09-11-2015, 09:53 PM

What else would you expect from that crowd?

BossChief
09-11-2015, 09:57 PM
Any way you slice it, Rogers numbers in 2010 were better than anything Smith ever put up even in his best year. That is not Alex-like would be typical Alex numbers.

Alex-like numbers are 3000 yards, 6.6 YPA, and fewer than 20 TDs.

I expect >4000 yards, 8 YPA and 28 TDs this year. That is a reasonable expectation given his situation.

I think you meant <

Chromatic
09-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Alex could have Calvin, Dez, Maclin, Gronk and Kelce and would probably still fall short of 4000 yards.

It's like the scorpion and the frog fable. Only instead of the scorpion stinging the frog and dooming them both, it's Alex checking down and only recording 3300 yards.

cdcox
09-11-2015, 10:03 PM
I think you meant <

No, this year I expect greater than 4000 yards. Eleven QBs threw for more than 4000 yards last season. It's not a big deal any more.

Coochie liquor
09-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Just think, had we gotten Luck in 2012, Pioli would have worked out an under the table deal with Elway where he trades Luck to Dungver for Tebow, then after getting fired here he's hired by Elway to be Personel Director most likely.

Wouldn't have shocked me.

jonzie04
09-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Alex could have Calvin, Dez, Maclin, Gronk and Kelce and would probably still fall short of 4000 yards.

It's like the scorpion and the frog fable. Only instead of the scorpion stinging the frog and dooming them both, it's Alex checking down and only recording 3300 yards.

I'm sorry but this is an incredibly stupid statement.

The past two years he threw for 3300 in 15 games averaging around 220 per game... Thats about 3500 yards per season with the bulk of his receiving corps not even being on NFL teams anymore... You dont think he can throw for 30 more yards a game with all of those guys. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Chromatic
09-11-2015, 10:47 PM
I'm sorry but this is an incredibly stupid statement.

The past two years he threw for 3300 in 15 games averaging around 220 per game... Thats about 3500 yards per season with the bulk of his receiving corps not even being on NFL teams anymore... You dont think he can throw for 30 more yards a game with all of those guys. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I'll gladly eat my own words if Smith slings fire but I don't see it happening.

And yes, I was probably hyperbolic with my statement earlier. Smith could probably bang out 3800 yards with all those guys.

http://i.imgur.com/5aNkVHA.gif

ThaVirus
09-11-2015, 10:49 PM
That gif is magical

chiefzilla1501
09-11-2015, 10:51 PM

Alex Smith is to 4000 yards, as Jared is to 18 year olds

jonzie04
09-11-2015, 11:03 PM

And yes, I was probably hyperbolic with my statement earlier. Smith could probably bang out 3800 yards with all those guys.

Duly noted.

ThaVirus
09-11-2015, 11:38 PM
If you spend 11 years in this league with all of them being the "new" NFL, you need to hit 4,000 yards at least once or you ain't shit.

Saccopoo
09-12-2015, 12:51 AM

How about a bug instead? That seems to be the going rate around here for malcontents looking to right their negativisms in the eyes of their peers here on CP.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2015, 01:06 AM
How about a bug instead? That seems to be the going rate around here for malcontents looking to right their negativisms in the eyes of their peers here on CP.

:clap: ....except this year it's a shit sandwich

BlackOp
09-12-2015, 01:08 AM
That first video is a big time pass...so he obviously has the ability to do it. I think this is the dichotomy with him... and his past has been one of intense scrutiny on bad teams. He should have led the 49ers to a SB..that's not on him. It's kind of fascinating..the bad luck he has had...if you consider "luck' something that isn't quantified in dollars. All the hate on him..I really want to see him succeed. He's a humble guy..if it doesn't happen...he still has had a charmed life.

This is his shot....his whole career path has manifested to this point. At least KC has my attention...I haven't been this optimistic since 2003.

09-12-2015, 03:59 AM
If the Chiefs had the first pick in 2012, instead of 2013, Smith would be somewhere else and Kansas City would be obsessed with Andrew Luck.

Yeah, I bet not.

Also, I got a kick out of him using the term noodle-arm. Can't imagine where he picked that one up from. LMAO

threebag
09-12-2015, 04:41 AM
Yeah, I bet not.

Also, I got a kick out of him using the term noodle-arm. Can't imagine where he picked that one up from. LMAO

Pretty common term actually.

09-12-2015, 05:03 AM
Pretty common term actually.

Eh, I only see it here but then again, I don't leave here. :thumb:

Bob Dole
09-12-2015, 06:23 AM

This isn't fantasy football, so Bob Dole doesn't give a fuck how many yards he puts up. Wins.

It's like half the board has forgotten that is the objective.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Mellinger is delusional.

The excuse has already been laid.

"Alex doesn't have Trent Green's line from 2003. How can he POSSIBLY be productive"!?

If this fan base as a whole ever pulled it's head from it's ass, the sky would probably rain frogs.

It seriously takes suicides and Hitler in the FO to get these morons to acknowledge or do anything about anything. The prediction this year per most sources, is another round of 9/7. And you know what? Lil' Chiefy will call it golden.

Idiots.

BigMeatballDave
09-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Mellinger is delusional.

"Alex doesn't have Trent Green's line from 2003. How can he POSSIBLY be productive"!?

If this fan base as a whole ever pulled it's head from it's ass, the sky would probably rain frogs.

It seriously takes suicides and Hitler in the FO to get these morons to acknowledge or do anything about anything. The prediction this year per most sources, is another round of 9/7. And you know what? Lil' Chiefy will call it golden.

Idiots.You should probably see a shrink for your anger issues. Must suck to go around being pissy all the time. If this sport really does this to you, you should probably find another hobby. And to add real-life issues to the mix. 2 tumors removed in 13 months and I'm excited about this season. Call me a homer, I don't give a fuck. Things can always be worse. Yes, I played the cancer card. Bite me.

MahiMike
09-12-2015, 08:20 AM
3 things :

1. Alex was NOT a backup. He was a starter for many years.
2. Alex is NOT a boring name. It has an X in it. How many names have X in it?
3. 79% completions if Bowe doesn't drop so many passes.

Saccopoo
09-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Mellinger is delusional.

Idiots.

Dude, really...just stop.

The same fucking thing over and over and over.

The Mellinger article and subsequent takes in this thread are the most objective I've seen on the situation and yet here you come, waddling into the conversation with the same negative mantra you've espoused ad nauseam.

It's your schtick. I get it. But it's old.

And you can be a good, funny poster.

Let it go.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 09:45 AM
This isn't fantasy football, so Bob Dole doesn't give a fuck how many yards he puts up. Wins.

It's like half the board has forgotten that is the objective.

Wins? Alex is 10-12 in his last 22.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2015, 09:49 AM
9-0 before that. Stop cherry picking.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 09:50 AM
9-0 before that. Stop cherry picking.

9-0 stretch had little to do with Alex.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Sure protected that football. Still the biggest difference in winning regular season games

MahiMike
09-12-2015, 09:54 AM

Can't have it both ways dude. I'm gonna start calling you hannity because your views never consider the other side.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2015, 09:56 AM
You should probably see a shrink for your anger issues.

It's a disgust issue. The Chiefs well-being or the lack thereof have little to do with my life.

Let it go.

Dear Chiefs, address the fucking 40 year elephant, and I'll "let it go".

You're daaamn right/#Isaac Hayes

stevieray
09-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Wins? Alex is 10-12 in his last 22....and you used to be the Boba Fett dough boy.

and today?

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 10:01 AM
...and you used to be the Boba Fett dough boy.

and today?

Today I throw my balls down the field.

Alex still checks down.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 10:02 AM
If Alex was really this stalwart "proven winner" like his fans want to believe he is, articles written about how he has to prove something wouldn't be coming out.

Bob Dole
09-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Wins? Alex is 10-12 in his last 22.

We're 0-0 at the moment. Stop being a stupid troll.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2015, 10:06 AM
If Alex was really this stalwart "proven winner" like his fans want to believe he is, articles written about how he has to prove something wouldn't be coming out.

This is a damned good point. The issue wouldn't even fucking exist.

BossChief
09-12-2015, 11:35 AM

That's because we're being written as a possible Super Bowl team. For that "possible" to become reality, we all know what Alex needs to do...and it's not much.

I think the upgrade in talent on offense will help him be more aggressive.

We cut 4 of our receivers from last year. Don't overlook the FACT that 3 of our receivers from last year are now completely out of the NFL and the other isn't even a starter in Cleveland. We also cut 3 linemen from last years team...don't underplay how guys like Linkenback, McGlynn and Harris sucked out loud against any decent pass rusher.

Think about that for a minute before you respond, because if it's some nonsense, nobody wants to hear it.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 11:40 AM
we all know what Alex needs to do...and it's not much.

Yeah, he only needs to take the 25th ranked offense and make it championship caliber. ROFL

ViperVisor
09-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Yeah, he only needs to take the 25th ranked offense and make it championship caliber. ROFL

12th in points per drive.

BossChief
09-12-2015, 11:49 AM

Remember when we all knew that Kendrick Lewis and Dunta Robinson we're gonna hurt us?...then they did and we cut them and improved drastically by going from them to a guy that hadn't played football for 2 years and a converted corner to safety guy, while losing Berry to a high ankle sprain and cancer...but the secondary was still ok because they didn't have multiple huge weakness players..

Well, look at this list...

Linkenbach
McGlynn
Harris
Bowe
Hemmingway
Jenkins
Avery

THOSE GUYS ARENT COMING BACK

Now, look at this list

Maclin
Grubbs
Morse
Conley
LDT
Wilson
Avant

That's the list of guys that are stepping in for the previous list of complete losers.

This team is just about all out of "Kendrick Lewis's" dude.

It's Alex's time to shine.

Sit back and enjoy.

Mr. Laz
09-12-2015, 11:50 AM
This is the first time that we've had even above average receivers for Alex Smith.

Only time we've had a decent Oline for him was during that 6 games when Schwartz was moved to RG.

It does make a difference

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2015, 11:55 AM

Owned

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Now, look at this list

Maclin
Grubbs
Morse
Conley
LDT
Wilson
Avant

ROFL

You have Avant, Morse, Conley, Wilson and fucking LDT on this amazing list.

That's a has been and a bunch of nobodies.

stevieray
09-12-2015, 11:56 AM

...when was our last sub .500 record?

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 11:59 AM
...when was our last sub .500 record?

The last 22 games we played.

stevieray
09-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Today I throw my balls down the field.

Alex still checks down.

ironically, nobody is throwing it back.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 12:00 PM

https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/b0guAMzUKTcAUFx2fImskg--/YXBwaWQ9bWFnYXppbmVzO3c9ODAw/https://s.yimg.com/os/en-us/homerun/Hitfix/5cc45d548cbeb82d6e127bb3e1c2d011

I don't give a shit about your bullshit statistic.

If this team is bottom third in yards again, as they have been for two years running, there will be no playoffs.

stevieray
09-12-2015, 12:01 PM
The last 22 games we played.

uh huh.

you've got nothing.

Hammock Parties
ironically, nobody is throwing it back.

Don't make it personal, idiot. You're better than that.

Hammock Parties
uh huh.

you've got nothing.

22 games is pretty significant.

stevieray
09-12-2015, 12:02 PM

funny how there are no 22 game records.

BigMeatballDave
09-12-2015, 12:03 PM
SD and Clay ARE the smartest guys in the room.

True pioneers of the NFL.

stevieray
Don't make it personal, idiot. You're better than that.it's not personal. you put it out there.

Hammock Parties
it's not personal. you put it out there.

It is. We were talking Chiefs, you brought up me.

Stop being a dick.

stevieray
09-12-2015, 12:05 PM
It is. We were talking Chiefs, you brought up me.

Stop being a dick.

I tired to give a compliment, you compared yourself to Alex.

....wear that slipper, Spinderella.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 12:06 PM
I tired to give a compliment, you compared yourself to Alex.

....wear that slipper, Spinderella.

You're full of shit.

stevieray
09-12-2015, 12:07 PM
You're full of shit.

...so is comparing yourself to Smith.

BossChief
09-12-2015, 12:08 PM
ROFL

You have Avant, Morse, Conley, Wilson and ****ing LDT on this amazing list.

That's a has been and a bunch of nobodies.

If that's what you honestly think, I don't know if anyone can help you anymore.

Every one of those guys I listed is an upgrade to what we had last year.

ESPECIALLY the guys that were here last year like Wilson and Thomas.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 12:09 PM
...so is comparing yourself to Smith.

You brought me up.

You.

Thanks for that. Dick.

stevieray
09-12-2015, 12:24 PM
You brought me up.

You.

Thanks for that. Dick.
Dick? check yourself.

I brought up the fact that you can't predict someones future based on their past.

Now who is getting personal? pretty funny that you thin you're above scrutiny, when 90% of you posts are scrutinizing one player.

stevieray
09-12-2015, 12:24 PM
You brought me up.

You.

Thanks for that. Dick.
Dick? check yourself.

I brought up the fact that you can't predict someones future based on their past.

Now who is getting personal? pretty funny that you think you're above scrutiny, when 90% of your posts are scrutinizing one player.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 12:43 PM
I brought up you

Yep. You're a dick. And a hypocrite.

Have a great day, you fake Christian. Jesus would be fucking appalled at your behavior.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2015, 12:47 PM
SD and Clay ARE the smartest guys in the room.

True pioneers of the NFL.

I don't need to be the smartest. Being observant is enough.

Dick? check yourself.

Now who is getting personal? pretty funny that you thin you're above scrutiny, when 90% of you posts are scrutinizing one player.

In this case, you pretty much can.

Discuss Thrower
09-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Mellinger and just about everyone will do a complete 180 on this sentiment before the month ends.

BossChief
09-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Alex Smith is gonna shit all over Clay this year.

I hope he doesn't take it personal.

Chromatic
09-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Dick? check yourself.I brought up the fact that you can't predict someones future based on their past.

I predicted that the movie theater shooter is going to have a bad rest of his life.

So far I'm right!

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 12:52 PM

He'll be shitting on this entire fanbase.

BigMeatballDave
09-12-2015, 12:53 PM

I hope he doesn't take it personal.

If AS does have a career year, I fully expect him to make himself scarce.

FringeNC
09-12-2015, 12:55 PM
This is the first time that we've had even above average receivers for Alex Smith.

Only time we've had a decent Oline for him was during that 6 games when Schwartz was moved to RG.

It does make a difference

The Chiefs offense was good those games in 2013 with Schwartz in there. Some games, really good.

There is so much that goes into having a successful passing attack in today's NFL. If this offensive line plays well, I have no doubt that will have a top 10 offense in the league. There is a reason Reid loves Smith and it's pretty simple -- he can execute the offense Andy Reid wants to run.

How many teams last year had as bad of a combination of O-line and WR as we did last year? Not many, yet we managed to be a respectable 17th in yards per offensive snap.

BigMeatballDave
09-12-2015, 12:56 PM

You mean like you've done to ChiefsPlanet?

I wish I could go back to work so I could take some significant time away from this cesspool you've created.

Saccopoo
09-12-2015, 01:03 PM

That's where you are wrong.

The fan base wants this team to be good.

If Smith is good, it's a good thing.

To most people.

Not you, obviously.

Have you ate that bug yet, by the way?

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 01:14 PM
That's where you are wrong.

The fan base wants this team to be good.

Of course.

Get ready to have Alex shit on your needs as a fan.

stevieray
09-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Yep. You're a dick. And a hypocrite.

Have a great day, you fake Christian. Jesus would be ****ing appalled at your behavior.

:rolleyes:

Saccopoo
09-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Of course.

Get ready to have Alex shit on your needs as a fan.

You know, regardless of how this team turns out, I'm still going to be a fan.

I really like this 2015 team.

I'm very much looking forward to the start of the season moreso than any time in the past five-seven years.

stevieray
09-12-2015, 01:45 PM

I'm very much looking forward to the start of the season moreso than any time in the past five-seven years.
I agree..The Pioli years sucked the life out of fandom.

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 01:45 PM

http://thefw.com/files/2013/05/CableGuySmile.gif

Marcellus
09-12-2015, 01:54 PM
If AS does have a career year, I fully expect him to make himself scarce.

100% win/win situation then.

Titty Meat
09-12-2015, 01:57 PM
If not Murray will take over NBD

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2015, 02:04 PM
If not Murray will take over NBD

Yes the 5th rounder will save us.

ViperVisor
09-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Then it is pretty significant Smith has a rating of 97 over those last 22 games?

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 02:17 PM
Then it is pretty significant Smith has a rating of 97 over those last 22 games?

QB rating is meaningless.

ViperVisor
09-12-2015, 02:25 PM
QB rating is meaningless.
http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/5097326/PRD_2013.jpg

Hammock Parties
09-12-2015, 02:28 PM
And if you're Alex Smith, a 97 QB rating gets you 10-12 in your last 22.

Suck it.

stonedstooge
09-12-2015, 04:21 PM

Not the doctor's fault. Nurses had trouble getting him open

Titty Meat
09-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Yes the 5th rounder will save us.

Tom Brady says what up though

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2015, 04:55 PM
Tom Brady says what up though

This reply literally makes me want to punch your balls.

Mav
09-12-2015, 04:59 PM
We're 0-0 at the moment. Stop being a stupid troll.

He would need to stop breathing.

Tombstone RJ
09-12-2015, 07:06 PM
this is a put up or shut up year for smith...

Saccopoo
09-12-2015, 07:53 PM
this is a put up or shut up year for smith...

And you came to this epiphany level conclusion how?

Easy 6
09-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Don't overlook the FACT that 3 of our receivers from last year are now completely out of the NFL and the other isn't even a starter in Cleveland.

Had to go see for myself... wow, just wow... not only is Bowe not starting, he's THIRD STRING.

:facepalm:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/depth-chart.html

ViperVisor
09-12-2015, 08:22 PM
I think it is mostly showing guys a spot has to be earned. He's been out of practice and they aren't handing a job over based on rep.

They dumped West for not getting with the program after he was just drafted last year.

They are gonna run the ball and Bowe is who you want at WR to block.

Mr. Laz
09-12-2015, 08:38 PM
Had to go see for myself... wow, just wow... not only is Bowe not starting, he's THIRD STRING.

You ready to rethink my position of Bowe not being a #1 receiver now?

BlackOp
09-12-2015, 09:06 PM

That pretty much tells all the resident trolls how little that know about football...idiots.

WR2 Brian Hartline-Travis Benjamin -Dwayne Bowe

He's 3rd string for the WR2 position..on a team desperate for WRs. There is a good chance he might be out of football next season..

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm glad Bowe is getting paid for doing nothing. He earned it after having his career wasted in KC.

ThaVirus
09-12-2015, 10:02 PM
That pretty much tells all the resident trolls how little that know about football...idiots.

WR2 Brian Hartline-Travis Benjamin -Dwayne Bowe

He's 3rd string for the WR2 position..on a team desperate for WRs. There is a good chance he might be out of football next season..

He's been dealing with a hamstring injury all throughout camp, FYI.

Saccopoo
09-12-2015, 10:47 PM
I'm glad Bowe is getting paid for doing nothing. He earned it after having his career wasted in KC.

Wasted?

He was a moderately okay secondary level fullback.

That has to count for something.

Mav
09-12-2015, 10:48 PM

He's technically the 6th wr. No joke

Mav
09-12-2015, 10:49 PM
He's been dealing with a hamstring injury all throughout camp, FYI.

Stop.

ThaVirus
09-12-2015, 10:54 PM
It's like someone looking at our official depth chart and saying "Dontari Poe is second string!"

Kaepernick
09-13-2015, 12:28 AM
I like how the OP takes up 3/4 of every page. Gotta be a solution to that somewhere for these long ass articles. Like for the OP to put the title on post 1 and post the body in post 2 so it doesn't hog every page for the rest of the thread.

Kaepernick
09-13-2015, 12:42 AM

Not practical but you had Bridgewater cheap. That was a genuine mistake. At least roll the dice.

BigMeatballDave
09-13-2015, 12:50 AM
I like how the OP takes up 3/4 of every page. Gotta be a solution to that somewhere for these long ass articles. Like for the OP to put the title on post 1 and post the body in post 2 so it doesn't hog every page for the rest of the thread.

There is a remedy. Text or the video can be placed in spoiler tags. Or you can just scroll down quicker, and stop crying about it. :)

Buehler445
09-13-2015, 12:56 AM

WTF? Do you have it on 5 PPG?

Kick that shit up to 50-100.

Kaepernick
09-13-2015, 01:21 AM
WTF? Do you have it on 5 PPG?

Kick that shit up to 50-100.

Where is the setting? I don't see it under Thread Tools or Display Modes.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Not practical but you had Bridgewater cheap. That was a genuine mistake. At least roll the dice.

If Alex really sucks it up this year, they'll probably pull those dice from their dope bag and start slinging.

Buehler445
09-13-2015, 07:32 AM
Where is the setting? I don't see it under Thread Tools or Display Modes.

User CP -> Edit options

Sorry I didn't get to it sooner.

Rausch
09-13-2015, 07:48 AM
He needs to hit Kelcee when he's open. If he wants to only hit Maclin short that's fine, Maclin has the ability to take a short pass and get a big gain...

mcaj22
09-13-2015, 07:51 AM

it's the only mistake this FO has made so far. Which is okay considering every move by Fat Scott was a mistake but like 3 or 4.

Kaepernick
09-13-2015, 08:55 AM
User CP -> Edit options

Sorry I didn't get to it sooner.

Fantastic. So much better with 50 posts.

Thank you!

Discuss Thrower
09-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Fantastic. So much better with 50 posts.

Thank you!

n00b

19now11
09-13-2015, 11:59 AM
hey clay! that pos alex smith still dont have a td pass to a wide receiver this year. fuck that piece of shit!:)

19now11
09-13-2015, 12:02 PM
wow its allmost half time and no receiver td. eat a dick clayROFL

19now11
09-13-2015, 12:03 PM
ggooooooooooooooooooo cheifs!\

19now11
09-13-2015, 12:09 PM
wow td pass to a rb. alex sucks. fuck u clay:banghead:

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-13-2015, 12:14 PM
wow td pass to a rb. alex sucks. fuck u clay:banghead:

It's a great, composed showing by Smith today. But it's a long season. Take an example from your boyfriend, and compose yourself.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Started Smith over Matt Ryan in my fantasy league. I FEELL GOODDDDDD!

Valiant
09-13-2015, 12:39 PM
I will give him credit, he has looked good and threw the ball more accurately deeper today than all of last season combined.

2nd half though, I am blaming the coaching staff. That is a lackluster effort so far. Instead of putting the game out of reach they are playing soft on offense.

milkman
09-13-2015, 02:21 PM
I will give him credit, he has looked good and threw the ball more accurately deeper today than all of last season combined.

2nd half though, I am blaming the coaching staff. That is a lackluster effort so far. Instead of putting the game out of reach they are playing soft on offense.

Fisrt half, 15-20, 193.

Finished, 22-33, 243.

RobBlake
09-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Alex had a good game. Not a great one, but a good one. A lot of blame is on the staff for not adjusting the playbook for the second half.. but they may be saving it for the broncos next week, which makes sense. There were about 3 passes Alex miss that hee needs to complete to have a full game. He missed that rookie TE, barely. The big play was missing Maclin. It would have put the texans out of the game and kept a nice margin. He barely missed it, so the accuracy will be there.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Fisher = not missed.

TLO
09-13-2015, 02:26 PM
A good start.

Bob Dole
09-13-2015, 02:27 PM

Already have Murray, who will be fine.

Discuss Thrower
09-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Niiiiiiiine and seven folks.

Basileus777
09-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Fisher = not missed.
Reid was utterly dominated today. Who knows how well Fisher would have done, but nothing about our RT's performance today should make us comfortable.

Reerun_KC
09-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Fisrt half, 15-20, 193.

Finished, 22-33, 243.

He plays like that on Thursday and Reid goes full Reid in the seocnd half. Denver will push their shit it.

FringeNC
09-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Reid was utterly dominated today. Who knows how well Fisher would have done, but nothing about our RT's performance today should make us comfortable.

Yep. Some of his troubles were Watt; some weren't. There is a reason he was cut. He's a marginal back-up player in this league, not a starter.

milkman
09-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Yep. Some of his troubles were Watt; some weren't. There is a reason he was cut. He's a marginal back-up player in this league, not a starter.

You guys are full of shit.

FringeNC
09-13-2015, 02:41 PM
You guys are full of shit.

Teams simply don't cut starting caliber RTs.

BossChief
09-13-2015, 02:42 PM
I thought Reid looked just fine given the opposing competition.

Watt got 2 sacks, but one of them wasn't on Reid.

BigMeatballDave
09-13-2015, 02:44 PM
And idea why Fisher came in late?

milkman
09-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Teams simply don't cut starting caliber RTs.

I wasn't commenting on the fact that he was cut.

I was commenting on the bullshit comment that he was dominated in this game.

Reid did a credible job against arguably the best defensive player in the game, especially in the first half when Watt was a complete non factor.

BossChief
09-13-2015, 02:46 PM
This is the Alex Smith thread, isn't it?

Hammock Parties
09-13-2015, 02:46 PM
3/13 on third down

rico
09-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Already have Murray, who will be fine.

This. ;)

BossChief
3/13 on third down

Here we go.

Sweet Daddy Hate

Addition by subtraction.

mdchiefsfan
09-13-2015, 02:49 PM

I guess you guys missed the fact that he was signed this week and had little to no time to prep to start. Considering the circumstance he stepped up huge for us. Give him some reps in practice and watch what happens. There were way more positives than negatives in this game. Fisher should be sweating his choice of pussing out of this game.

BigMeatballDave
09-13-2015, 02:51 PM
GFY3/13 on third down

FringeNC
09-13-2015, 02:51 PM
I wasn't commenting on the fact that he was cut.

I was commenting on the bullshit comment that he was dominated in this game.

Reid did a credible job against arguably the best defensive player in the game, especially in the first half when Watt was a complete non factor.

Andy Reid schemed the shit of the Texans. Jah Reid played well enough not to embarrass himself, but again, there is no reason to hope he is an answer long-term. My expectations of this team are really, really high, and it's going to be tough to be one of the very best teams in the league with waiver wire fodder at RT.

BossChief
09-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Reid proved he's good depth, at worst.

If Allen or Fisher were healthy, either would start over him.

mdchiefsfan
09-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Andy Reid schemed the shit of the Texans. Jah Reid played well enough not to embarrass himself, but again, there is no reason to hope he is an answer long-term. My expectations of this team are really, really high, and it's going to be tough to be one of the very best teams in the league with waiver wire fodder at RT.

:rolleyes:

mdchiefsfan
09-13-2015, 02:58 PM
Reid most likely game planned for Fisher to be at RT. Reid stepped in and filled in well enough to give us a W. Let him get acclimated before we start throwing around judgements.

milkman
09-13-2015, 03:00 PM

I don't give a rat's ass about the fact that he is not a long term answer.

I'm calling you dipshits out because you said he was dominated, and that is far from fucking true.

It's dipshits being dipshits, dipshit.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Fisher will disrupt line chemistry with his inevitable suckitude.

Best to cut bait now.

FringeNC
09-13-2015, 03:03 PM

I'm calling you dipshits out because you said he was dominated, and that is far from ****ing true.

No, actually I indicated that I hope Fisher gets healthy because he's better than Reid. And he is. And then your histrionic personality disorder rears its head.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
09-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Alex had a good game. Not a great one, but a good one. A lot of blame is on the staff for not adjusting the playbook for the second half.. but they may be saving it for the broncos next week, which makes sense. There were about 3 passes Alex miss that hee needs to complete to have a full game. He missed that rookie TE, barely. The big play was missing Maclin. It would have put the texans out of the game and kept a nice margin. He barely missed it, so the accuracy will be there.

I sure hope that's the case and being up 3 scores and a couple of scares with injuries, that was very likely.

milkman
09-13-2015, 03:19 PM

No, actually I indicated that I hope Fisher gets healthy because he's better than Reid. And he is. And then your histrionic personality disorder rears its head.

No actually, you dipshit, you agreed with the comment that he was "utterly dominated".

FringeNC
09-13-2015, 03:29 PM
No actually, you dipshit, you agreed with the comment that he was "utterly dominated".

You're being disingenuous and you know it, given your remark in the other thread, but whatever. I've happy we won and hope Fisher gets healthy.

rabblerouser
09-13-2015, 03:42 PM

I'm calling you dipshits out because you said he was dominated, and that is far from ****ing true.

True. Alex Smith played pretty good against a pretty good defense.

Not a bad start to the season.

rabblerouser
09-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Fisher will disrupt line chemistry with his inevitable suckitude.

Best to cut bait now.

That might be a bit extreme lol

milkman
09-13-2015, 03:55 PM
You're being disingenuous and you know it, given your remark in the other thread, but whatever. I've happy we won and hope Fisher gets healthy.

If you didn't agree that he was "utterly dominated" then you should have clarified, because when I read "Yep", that seemed to signify agreement.

Bob Dole
09-13-2015, 03:57 PM

Kind of like most everything that useless fuck posts.

Mav
09-13-2015, 04:05 PM
I thought clay said it was a lock the Chiefs were losing to the great Brian Hoyer.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-13-2015, 04:22 PM

I will prove to be correct on this.

RunKC
09-13-2015, 04:24 PM
3 TD's. Put our team in position for 30 points but our midget kicker missed.

I'm very happy with the offense today

Hammock Parties
09-13-2015, 04:28 PM

The offense was mediocre. Two very nice drives in the first half, and not much else.

http://i.imgur.com/wlqdBTb.jpg

Turnovers decided this game. We got lucky.

JakeLV
09-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Dude, its so old at this point. Ban from more than just the game day thrrad.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-13-2015, 04:37 PM
3 TD's. Put our team in position for 30 points but our midget kicker missed.

The execution overall was good.

The play calling and overall theme in the 2nd was infuriating.

Reerun is right on that front, and I'm cutting Reid exactly ZERO slack this year, right from the get-go.

Sandy Vagina
09-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Dude, its so old at this point. Ban from more than just the game day thrrad.

It's unbelievable that he can still do this. You just got to laugh it off at this point.